Author Topic: RPGDL 2016 Season 1, Week 3  (Read 1454 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2016 Season 1, Week 3
« on: January 26, 2016, 01:03:15 AM »
Godlike

Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)
Defender X (Final Fantasy X) vs Jecht (Final Fantasy X)
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Sanctuary Keeper (Final Fantasy X)
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX) vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default)
Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs Geddoe (Suikoden III)
Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Juno (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)
Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII) vs Yang Fang Leiden (Final Fantasy IV)
Meganium (Pokémon) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia)

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs Swordmaster (Bravely Default)
White Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Mao (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)
Tony (Wild ARMs 4) vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)
Umaro (Final Fantasy VI) vs Spar (Breath of Fire II)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2016 Season 1, Week 3
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:01:52 AM »
Godlike

Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)

Heavy

Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs Geddoe (Suikoden III)- HoR+Rising Bolt at the worst.
Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- Barring Say-ri having Guy level RES. Vanille is obliterated if she goes second and has problems if she goes first (Evasion, spiky SM damage makes the healing not effective)

Middle

Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII) vs Yang Fang Leiden (Final Fantasy IV)- Barret is really fucking bad without limit scaling. 
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia)- Nulls wind and charm and has high defense? Bad matchup for Noa.

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs Swordmaster (Bravely Default)- Extremely strong kneejerk of SM being bad.
White Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Mao (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- Wall, outlast.
Tony (Wild ARMs 4) vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- Hitting the wrong defense and usual low WA4 boss respect.
Umaro (Final Fantasy VI) vs Spar (Breath of Fire II)- Not a lot of Spar respect.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:53:32 AM »
Godlike

Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF): Not... actually that bad a match, because Katrina wins with lots of weak (for Godlike) attacks, the type of thing that struggles against Absolute Defence. But... she's still probably not going to need to get more than 5-6 hits, Ned doesn't need many less (4-5), and Katrina is significantly faster to start with and it only gets worse from there.
Defender X (Final Fantasy X) vs Jecht (Final Fantasy X): Physicals aren't the way to go against Defender X. I think Jecht can win this if you both restrict the use of Haymaker and treat Jecht's attacks as piercing but yeah no way I am doing both of those, either is a stretch to me.
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Sanctuary Keeper (Final Fantasy X): Sanctuary Keeper is faster and can two-shot with Mana Breath! Unfortunately I don't think it survives the full wrath of a Lady turn + the death counter. He might if Lady's Umbral turn comes before her own turn.
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series): I wouldn't be surprised if Jade only 3HKOed here (Tir MDef + element halving), in which case Tir does an amazing amount of damage before he loses. Unfortunately, the key word there is "loses".

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX) vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default): I was ready to vote for Garnet, but apparently she can only half fire. As such some combination of status and fire magic should overwhelm Garnet before she can slug Ominas down.
Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals): Tony 2HKOs and does break damage while he's at it. To win this, Artea needs both to 3HKO and to have a 4-3 (so he can heal on turn 2 and attack otherwise). By my math he just misses the second, and the first is debatable.
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs Geddoe (Suikoden III): I intuively think that Lawfer should be able to defend lightning, both because hey he resists lightning physicals and because there's a bunch of lightning-resistant armour in VP. But none of it's DL-legal, so Geddoe's got this.
Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII): Say'ri wins if she gets a turn, and Vanille's only way to stop that is with Pain. Between Say'ri's evade (which I'm certainly inclined to use for damage-with-added-status) and the fact that Vanille pretty much needs to short-stock her ATB to go first, I don't think Pain lands in time.

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Juno (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): I think so. Both 2HKO each other (Juno hitting a weakness), Typhlosion is faster (even after Juno buffs).
Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII) vs Yang Fang Leiden (Final Fantasy IV): Block sleep, get off Hammberblow.
Meganium (Pokémon) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia): Meganium is faster, uses Light Screen, but Stocke hits weakness with G-Fire so he still 3HKOs, and isn't dying first. Mega can turtle with Synthesis somewhat but since the speed gap is small and Light Screen wears off this is useless.

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II) vs Swordmaster (Bravely Default): Healing ends what small glimmer of an argument Swordmaster may have had.
White Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Mao (Shadow Hearts: From the New World): WW absolutely must cast Wall, so the gameplan is Wall then get lots of evade going. Surged Mao can still do 35% with a finisher even then, and 15% otherwise (so forces a heal every four attacks). WW will probably need to heal multiple times just setting up evade buffs (since Mao 3HKOs her with physicals then, and gets the first before any evade buffing). Cure 3... doesn't really offset Mao's spammable damage, so yeah, I think WW runs out of resources before one Fade and a short chain of mighty 19HKO physicals can seal the deal. EDIT: Sanity could be an issue here for Mao, and the low-SP powerups Mao gets could be an issue for WW. This match gives me a headache, but I'll hold with my initial analysis for now.
Umaro (Final Fantasy VI) vs Spar (Breath of Fire II): Nulling ice and slow means Umaro just has too much durability, most likely. Could be argued.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:06:27 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 03:07:23 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX) vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default) - Silence should wreck badly
Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) vs Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals) - Sure

Middle

Light

Tony (Wild ARMs 4) vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom) - shouldn't be ohko'd barring a generous view of wa4's damage average (certainly needs to be a fair bit higher than the 3k Kresnik drives it up to), should have a 5-2 and a 5HKO here at worst
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:32:56 AM by Random Consonant »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »
Godlike

Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) vs Sanctuary Keeper (Final Fantasy X) - SK still dies through Shell? Or was Shell not a spell it had access to?
Jade (Breath of Fire) vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series) - I factor Agni into things, so BoF bosses aren't that durable to me.

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX) vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default) - She can't block Silence, huh?

Middle

Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia) - Go away Noa

Light

White Wizard (Final Fantasy) vs Mao (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - I vote on DoS WW, so I have a feeling she can outlast Mao's SP here, but... that may not matter? I dunno.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 11:13:32 PM »
Neph: It's the "learnt skills are legal" vs. "if you equip something that gives it to you it's legal" vs. "nope.jpg" debate for FF9 & status blocking.  Checking a FAQ, her default White Robe does in fact offer Loudmouth to block Silence...  although the FAQ also claims it's weak against Fire (??), so that might be out.  Regardless if it was -only- Silence to worry about, she can apparently grab a Golden Hairpin instead, but she needs to block Sleep AND halve Fire too.  Too lazy to figure out if all these can be satisfied enough for the juggle-equips interp.

Probably no Haymaker spam hype, but that's apparently not enough.
If Tir had infinite charges of Judgment, I might give it to him since BoltX only every-other-turn, but he runs out of good damage.

Heavy

No vote for now.  Hypothetically Garnet to my more generous to status blocking views, but eh.

Middle

Light

tide help us with negative SP mechanics pls

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:28:09 PM »
Huh, Crowe can do Sleep too? I only ever saw Silence and Poison.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:18 AM »

Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia) - such spoilage

<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:51:54 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX) vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default)- If FF 9 had good buffs, perhaps. As is, no.
Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- Say'ri doesn't OHKO to me.

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon) vs Juno (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- See notes below.
Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII) vs Yang Fang Leiden (Final Fantasy IV)- Unsure. No more respect for Barret's ID, but I probably give Missing Score a bit of credit for in game purposes.
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia)- Yeah, perfect spoiler

Light

Tony (Wild ARMs 4) vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- This is a pretty close, but my gut is Aguro OHKOs.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:50:19 AM by Dhyerwolf »
...into the nightfall.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 04:38:11 AM »
Yang has a claw that can inflict Charm but how accurate is the status?  Leaning no on FF4 status weapons from someone other than Edge due to Agility being a factor in physical status hit rate.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:06:08 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 05:10:25 AM »
There's only one of those in the game, so it's not legal in 4a where two people can use it. (Two people can use it in 4o too, but at least there's only one who exists while Yang is around.)

In FF4o, that's actually a good point. (A rare fight where 4o has a better argument than 4a?!) So Barret might be better served by blocking confuse in that case instead. Orrr alternatively, he can actually counter this by... using his worst weapon possible, so that he doesn't hurt himself very badly. Since every time Yang wants to confuse him, he'll need to attack, and there's no way for him to dump his damage the way Barret can, he'll surely still end up giving Barret a limit this way. Either way there's no way Barret is losing this if you scale limits in any way, and I strongly suspect he can take 4o even if you don't, though I'm now less certain than I was before.

Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 07:12:56 AM »
Neph: It's the "learnt skills are legal" vs. "if you equip something that gives it to you it's legal" vs. "nope.jpg" debate for FF9 & status blocking.  Checking a FAQ, her default White Robe does in fact offer Loudmouth to block Silence...  although the FAQ also claims it's weak against Fire (??), so that might be out.  Regardless if it was -only- Silence to worry about, she can apparently grab a Golden Hairpin instead, but she needs to block Sleep AND halve Fire too.  Too lazy to figure out if all these can be satisfied enough for the juggle-equips interp.

Apparently Garnet can get Fire Halving from the Adaman Vest, Loudmouth from the Gold Hairpin, and I guess Antibody from a Glass Armlet if poison's a problem?

I also want to ask what Barret can block between Confusion/Poison/Sleep, since I'd want to say that Poison+Sleep is Fatal, Confusion+Sleep gives Yang way too many turns, and Confusion+Poison is only a little better than Sleep+Poison.  Is this even worth thinking about?

Eh, I'll figure out my voting later.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 07:28:47 AM »
That still leaves Garnet vulnerable to sleep, and since she only halves fire, I'm not sure that's good enough.

I recall FF4 poison being really bad? I'd also certainly let Barret choose his statusblockers after Yang chooses his claws, but that's because I hate status-weapons and they deserve every interp call made against them possible, so only one status is going to be useful here to me. If you disagree (And it's reasonable to, because it is easier to change FF4 weapons than it is to change FF7 accessories), then yeah I now agree that 4o Yang probably beats no-limit-scaling Barret, since even a junk poison probably can make the difference there. Dunno if you scale limits or not.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:36 AM »
Switched by vote on Juno/Typh. Typholosion can't deal with Juno if generics are in the averages. If you give Juno free counters, then I don't think it matters either because that's too much pressure.

Without generics, I would note that I think that Typh needs either GSC or D/P. FRLG fails to 2HKO thanks to Juno's MDef (Juno has 99.2% HP and cuts magic by 18.3% if scaled in that manner).

Note that if we are assigning a single type to Typh, it would be pyremage since that's basically with Typh is (even in D/P when it wouldn't have to be). It wants to be Dragon for this match.

GSC
Typh 2HKOs here. I think that this form (and apparently looking at my notes below, only this form) can deal with Juno unless you give Juno free counters.

D/P
Typh does 207 over two attacks (Juno is below average evade, so I put Burn Blast at 100% accuracy...although, if you don't scale evasion, Juno then has about 12% evade or so, which definitely changes some scope of the battle). The problem is...that only 2HKOs under one average. There's both an average and a total average and it does make a difference...although, I would also say that in some ways the damage average underrates a little. Any Pokemon with a +2 Attack/Magic Modifier generally is underrated by about 33% (there are a few Pokemon I would say are overrated, but they don't cancel out the others). So, fair to say that Typh 3HKOs.

But Juno should 2HKO (she does with two of three damage averages and in the last average, she has free counters). She won't be knocking Typh below 33% after just 1 attack, so she doesn't trigger Blaze.

...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
Juno only counters melee, and Typh's damage isn't contact. Not sure why counters would matter here.

Maybe.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 11:11:10 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 12:42:27 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon) vs Noa (Legend of Legaia)- No vote.

Light

Tony (Wild ARMs 4) vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- No vote.
Umaro (Final Fantasy VI) vs Spar (Breath of Fire II)- The natural order of the universe is all outta whack here.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »
Godlike

Deamoned (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) vs Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)- iiii
Defender X (Final Fantasy X)- iiiiiii vs Jecht (Final Fantasy X)
Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- iiiii vs Sanctuary Keeper (Final Fantasy X)
Jade (Breath of Fire)- iiiiiii vs Tir McDohl (Suikoden Series)- i

Heavy

Garnet til Alexandros (Final Fantasy IX)- i vs Ominas Crowe (Bravely Default)- iiiiii
Tony Eisler (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- iiii vs Artea (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)- i
Lawfer (Valkyrie Profile) vs Geddoe (Suikoden III)- iiiiiii
Say’ri (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- iiii vs Oerba dia Vanille (Final Fantasy XIII)- i

Middle

Typhlosion (Pokémon)- iii vs Juno (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- i
Barret Wallace (Final Fantasy VII)- iiiiiii vs Yang Fang Leiden (Final Fantasy IV)- ii
Meganium (Pokémon) vs Stocke (Radiant Historia)- iiiiii
Albert Serdio (Legend of Dragoon)- iiiiii vs Noa (Legend of Legaia)

Light

Kahn Marley (Suikoden II)- iiiiiiii vs Swordmaster (Bravely Default)
White Wizard (Final Fantasy)- iii vs Mao (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- i
Tony (Wild ARMs 4)- i vs Aguro (Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)- iii
Umaro (Final Fantasy VI)- iiiiiiii vs Spar (Breath of Fire II)