Register

Author Topic: Music Tournament of Doom Round 3 Pools 1-4  (Read 3905 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of Doom Round 3 Pools 1-4
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:41 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”: I have pulled an upset on myself. But seriously not feeling Magus this contest...at all.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge: This decision hurts. But overall, more rockin'. I guess sound quality does it.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld: Yes, I thought about this for a moment. Then I actually relistened to People Seized With Life. Then I relistened to Otherworld and the gap widens further!
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits”
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker: Had to relisten to Ace Attacker to remember how forgettable it is.
Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed

Matches without commentary are notably one-sided.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 03:52:32 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity: Sound quality, composition, you name it - a good track from DDS mangles a good track from FFT.
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle: Not close. There aren't too many tracks I dislike left in round 3, but here's one.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”: Magus continues to knock some heads.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge: I'm well aboard the Rock'n Rocks hype train.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld: Oh wow, this one is very tough. Two songs I like a lot with ridiculously different styles. Feeling more like Prisoners of Fate today, could easily change this though.
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits”: Idola is sexy. New Fork is really not my type of music at all.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker: Really unimpressive round 3 matchup to me.
Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed: Pretty easy decision.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 03:56:08 AM »
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle- v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits”
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis
v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity - The Putfile link for Divine Identity isn't working for me, so I'm trying to recall the song from memory. If it's the song I'm thinking of, then yeah, it beats Trisection pretty easily.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts” - Sigh.  Tough decision.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge - SIGH.  Very tough decision.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld - Good lord, Otherworld is still here? How on Earth did that happen? 
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:08:08 AM »
Yeah...  Continuing with the fact that this track gets worse every time I hear it, it's also continuing to trash superb pieces of music it's not even close to being in the same league as.  I am officially unable to consider Rock'n'Rocks rationally, and as such am not even going to try.  But hey, have fun with your piece of drek that shoulda bowed out in the first round.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity - Yeah, link's dead.  I recall the song not impressing me, though.  Trisection's not great but eh.

Annnd everything else is really one sided to me.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity: See others. Good DDS > good FFT.
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle: Apathy all around.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”: Magus vs. something really dull. Yeah, that'll go over well.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge: Don't get the Big Bridge hype, really. Black Mages version? Totally badass. Original? Not so much, and I have no sentimental ties to FFV to help it out.

Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits”: New Fork is boring.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker: Ace Attacker is fun, but that's not quite enough here.
Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed: Chronicle Key gets better on repeated listens, but eh. It's still another slow vocal piece from AT, and I have trouble telling them apart.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity - Rend, Slaughter, DEVOUR the other songs.
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle - Bleh.  I don't think I voted for either of these songs yet >_>  Armada is better composition, at least.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts” - Kicks ass in all regards.  Shadow Hearts is a decent vocal, but I"m not attached to it.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge - Both are good.  But I've been a bigger fan of Gilgy's Theme, so...I won't be unhappy with either winning, however.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld - For some reason, I really am digging Otherworld.  I don't know why.
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits” - Another really good match. 
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker - Way, way more emotive.
Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed - ...don't think I voted for either of these ever.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »
Also don't see where the love is coming from

Armada is nice, but the Decisive Battle is one of the better tracks here.

Again, something that isn't that strong against a track that has withstood the test of time.

Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge -  The only comment I'll be giving on any match with this song any more is 'anti-vote'.  That said, I've already voted, so no vote here.

The CC track is good, but Otherworld is great.  First time since round one a couple of favourites duked it out too, so I'll be sorry to see either one go.

New Fork is nice and folksy, and I do like it.  But, Idola is just out of its league.

SRW is good enough to deal with lesser contenders.  But that's about it.

Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/.. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed
Yeah, I seem to be in an Ar Tonelico mood today.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity - Nice simple opening match here.
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle - Decisive is considerably more enticing then Skies.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts” - I keep wondering whether I'm listening to the right thing, but there's only one track in the OST with a name anything like that... Magus is stupidly boring and lame and I have no freaking idea what the heck people see in it. Especially the final minutish. Meanwhile, Hearts is still overly long.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge - Still awesome, and I don't really care all that much for the original version of Big Bridge.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld - Oh for god's sake how is that crapulent otherworld garbage winning TWICE. GO DIE IN A DITCH OTHERWORLD.
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits” - It's somewhat odd that Strange has made it this far... in any case Fork's pleasantry smites it.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant - The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis v Super Robot Wars (general) - Ace Attacker - Don't see the love for Cluster.
Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed - These are both great. I'm going for the nonvocalised here, but I'll be happy either way. Beautiful ending to the segment.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:53:47 AM »
Divine Identity
The Decisive Battle
Magus Battle
Battle on the Big Bridge

Prisoners of Fate
Driving to New Fork
The Fate  ~ Cluster Amaryllis
EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:17 AM »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:20 AM »

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge- Rock'n Rocks is okay. Battle on the Big Bridge doesn't work at all outside of the game.

Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed- Could have gone either way.

...into the nightfall.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 12:52:32 AM »

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 02:36:09 AM »
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle - How are these two this far in?  Ah well, I seem to be among few with the Decisive Battle antihype.  Guess it wins here, though.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts” - Sure, hopping on the contrarian mood.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge - Rocks is cool, yes, but not as amazing as some think...

Ar tonelico - EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY/. v Final Fantasy X - A Truth Revealed - Truth isn't the best version of this on the FFX soundtrack, but Chronicle Key is only okay.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »
Final Fantasy Tactics- Trisection  v Digital Devil Saga 2: Divine Identity- Mmm.  Close battle of nostalgia vs song that made me sit up and take notice.  Feeling Divine Identity more right now but... shoot.  Might reverse by the time I finish voting.
Skies of Arcadia - Armada Battle v Final Fantasy VI- The Decisive Battle- Weird.  Makes me wonder why Last Battle: Opportunity isn't here.
Chrono Trigger - Magus Battle v Shadow Hearts – “Shadow Hearts”- Mmm.  Shadow Hearts is better than i remembered, actually.  But not quite this good.
Soul Nomad - Rock'n Rocks v Final Fantasy V - Battle on the Big Bridge- Big Bridge just can't make up the sound quality difference.  FFXII version is a hell of a fight though.  Damn.

Chrono Cross- People Seized with Life/Prisoners of Fate v Final Fantasy X - Otherworld- Yeaaaahhh.
Metal Saga - Driving to New Fork v Phantasy Star Online Episode III – “Idola the Strange Fruits”- Kneejerk.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 05:53:48 AM »
Trisection- iii v Brahman- xiiii
Armada- iii v Decisive- xv
Magus- xi v Shadow Hearts- vii
Rocks- xii v Bridge- vi

Prisoners- xvi v Otherworld- iii
New Fork- iiii v Idola- xiii
Fate- xv v Ace- ii
Chronicle- viiii v Truth- x

Vote totals are slipping!  But hey, 'tis exhausting.  Thanks, ye faithful.