Register

Author Topic: Fad Diets  (Read 3348 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Fad Diets
« on: June 07, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
I was talking to super about weight in general and the up shot of that was that I mentioned I was on the Special K and he told me that I was fad dieting!

For those of you who don't know what Special K is -

http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/specialk/challenge.aspx

I was unaware that I was fad dieting <_< I suppose the "lose XXX in XXX weeks" should have been a hint! >_>

Oh yeah and I am overweight ( a couple of stones or from my target weight which is 10 - 10.5 stone) The lowest acceptable weight for my height is supposed to be 8 stones but hell if I'm getting down that far. It's just the extra I have is so hard to shift *shakes fist at super* but I guess I just have to keep trying different things.

Talk about fad dieting in general *nod nods*
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
Re: Fad Diets
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
Special K is tasty cereal. A bit more sugar than cornflakes, I think? I dunno. It's nice with strawberries, just like on the box.

Uh dieting I don't know anything about that though. Aren't all diets on TV and magazines fad diets? And isn't losing weight going to go a lot better if you exercise regularly on top of dieting?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 01:27:47 PM by Carthrat »
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »
Special K. is my brother, who's a little bit differently-abled.  But he tries so hard!

I'm overweight, and don't care.  Yeah, it would be nice to be thinner, but I'm not doing the work for it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »
Special K. challenge shit has been on TV here for ages.  I didn't think anyone would give a shit enough for it to be called a fad.  I dunno, sounds like a challenge to eat your damned breakfast to me.  OH SO HARD.

Meh, eat carefully and exercise is the key to pretty much any kind of weight loss.  Some people couldn't be bothered (see myself and above), some people will have trouble changing their body's acquired metabolism.  Try stuff, find something that works.  If it doesn't be happy with yourself.  Life is going to happen and finish all by itself and isn't something worth torturing yourself over for whatever reason.

As a gigantic negative cynic I have to agree with the Bill and Ted philosophy.  Be excellent to each other and party on (dudes).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
What Gref said. If you're just eating one thing it's not healthy no matter what that one thing is.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
Poverty is the best way to lose weight.  When you try to spend only 5 dollars a day on food you eat less.  Also walking everywhere.  Exercise is for chumps, starve yourself.

(EDIT:  I was going to make some apology to anorexics, but you know what?  Fuck off, maybe if you weren't so fat then you wouldn't be anorexic in the first place you fat sack of fat.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:17:34 PM »
Statistics shows poverty is the worst way to lose weight.  Irony is that it is expensive to be healthy and cheap to eat fatty sugary shit.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
Okay, but if you go beyond the cheap=unhealthy thing and go more on the starvation angle, it is the best way to lose weight. 

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Insert joke about Zenthor, cheap and protein shakes here.

Edit - Fixed late night name typo.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:57:44 PM by Grefter »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »
Man, "Zenthor" is a joke about cheap protein shakes.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 10:45:37 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread too much into exercise since its about diet, but honestly, if you want healthy living, good diet and good exercise are inextricably intertwined. So...warning, this post contains a lot of stuff on exercise!

Increasing your base metabolic rate isn't terribly difficult. Sure, genetics plays a part (as always) but its not something you can't work around.

First, you need to shift from three meals a day to six or seven meals a day (keep the overall caloric intake the same). This prevents your body from going into its "must conserve all energy and store it as fat" mode. The goal is to eat healthy and eat balanced. As long as you get enough fiber, potassium, vitamins, minerals, and all that other good stuff, you're on the right track. The other key aspect, as far as weight loss in concerned anyways, is to keep your daily caloric consumption *below* the amount of calories your body burns in a day.

Then you need to do some form of cardio activity that boosts your metabolism. The best type of exercise for this is one that causes your body to go into greater excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). Basically, the exercise creates a metabolic imbalance and the body must expend energy to bring itself back to homeostasis. Now, it's not necessarily the EPOC itself that burns all the calories (I think it tends to average around 50-80 extra calories burned over the course of 5-8 hours). Rather, its more likely that exercise that causes a greater EPOC also causes the body to become more efficient at burning fat through more effective enzyme use. Also, greater EPOC activities are also more likely to develop more muscle mass, and as should be common knowledge, more muscle mass means an improved metabolic rate.

The best high EPOC activity is high intensity interval training, and can be performed in different ways (i.e. running, swimming, biking, rowing, jumping rope). After a warp up period, you begin the intervals. For 10-30 seconds (based on your overall athletic ability) you want to perform the activity as fast and as hard as possible (roughly 105% of your VO2 max or 95-100% of your maximum heart rate). Following the intense phase, you go into a short recovery phase lasting 30-50 seconds (the higher your overall athletic ability, the shorter the phase should be). During the recovery phase, you should still be exercising at a moderate speed (65-75% of your VO2 max or 70-75% of your maximum heart rate) so your body isn't at a complete rest or a true cool-down recovery (Which is closer to 50% VO2 max and 50% max heart rate). One intensity phase and one recovery phase equal one interval. The number of intervals you do will base based on your overall athletic ability. Beginners should start at 2-3 intervals and work up to 10-15 intervals over the course of two months or so.

Now, this isn't to say that long-slow distance (LSD) training is bad. Training in LSD is THE most important and effective method for increasing endurance and improving the body's ability to store carbohydrates as fuel. The problem is that most ordinary people really don't need those benefits. You'll only need exceptional endurance if you plan on racing in a long distance event. LSD also will break down muscle that isn't needed, which can be good or bad depending on your needs (good if you're training for a long distance race, bad if you're a body builder trying to add as much muscle as possible).

Finally, it's good to add some form of resistance training to your daily activities. It doesn't need to be anything as intense as power-lifting or ultimately worthless such as body building. As long as the exercise causes some muscle growth, it should be fine. Exercises that improve tone and muscle definition are adequate. Triatheletes generally only do enough weight training to coordinate and improve muscle balance, for example, and they're among the healthiest and fittest people alive.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 03:01:57 AM »
But body-building is fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

-Djinn

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 05:18:56 AM »
I wish I had a youtube account so I could 0 star that.

Moving on.  Walk to work/school if it's possible.  If it's not, get a bike and ride.  If that's not possible, I pity you and your daily drive to work.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 04:05:24 PM »
Quote from: Zenthor
Poverty is the best way to lose weight.  When you try to spend only 5 dollars a day on food you eat less.  Also walking everywhere.  Exercise is for chumps, starve yourself.

Not true anymore!  In America, the poor people are fat.  It's cwazy.

It's called a fad diet if it's something other than "eat balanced amounts of healthy food, drink lots of water, and get regular exercise."  That's how you actually stay healthy in general, although the sort of weight you're going to fall into will also depend on metabolism.

ID sounds like he knows a lot about exercise!  I don't, I just swam for a summer team for about a decade and for a winter team as well for six years of that.  And at college I did crew.  Which is to say, I exercised but let other people think about how I was going to be exercising!  Convenient!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
In America, the correlation between wealth and fat can be summed up like this: a doughnut costs less than a bagel; a slice of pizza costs infinitesimally less than any kind of sandwich.

Let me give you a rundown of "cheap" eats in midtown Manhattan, probably the hardest place to diet in the northeast:

Doughnut: $.75
Bagel w/ cream cheese, butter: $1
Slice of cheese pizza: $2 if you're lucky
Gyro: $3.50
Half a sandwich.  not a good sandwich, but like a tuna fish on wonder bread: $3.50
Cheeseburger: $4.50
Chicken Roll: $5.50
Panini: $6
Sub, from anywhere but Subway: $6.50
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »
Fresh fruit is tasty.  Water is tasty.

Jim does not lie though, eating well definitely tastes better to me but it also costs more.  In Philadelphia, my school was right nearby a Subway (gross, I never ate there), a bunch of street vendors hawking hamburgers and the like (generally kinda suspicious), a Dunkin' Donuts (ugh), and a nice little shop with wraps and fruit smoothies and the like.  I can tell you a lot more students that I observed would eat at the first three locations than the fourth.  Were they just being cheap?  Actually I'm not sure if money was even the issue, maybe they just liked to eat gross, disgusting things.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »
If I really wanted to lose weight, I'd just take as much speed as I could without killing myself. I believe that's called Riding the Snake? I'm a pretty skinny dude, but put on about five or ten extra pounds around the middle because my primary source of calories also gets me drunk. I don't really care.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »
If I really wanted to lose weight, I'd just take as much speed as I could without killing myself.

The views and opinions expressed by Rob the Stampede are not those of the RPGDL in general.  We will not take responsibility if you start taking speed.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
Unless it works. In which case you owe me 500 dollars.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.