imageRegister

Author Topic: Idiot of the Day  (Read 251982 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot of the Day
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
Monkey, it doesn't matter if the thing gets through or not.  The fact that it even came this far AND IS COMING THROUGH FROM A FEDERAL FUCKING GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT is something you should be worried about.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:59 AM »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2008, 05:14:51 AM »
http://www.opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110006747

Just to balance out Notmiki's IotD post to show that both sides of the political spectrum are infested with morons!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2008, 05:17:01 AM »
I think we're all down with that statement. Fucking ALCU. Go sue Bush or something.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
Ok, deep breaths.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:NvMRKH7NHYYJ:www.thesunrunner.com/Stories/Faith_Under_Fire_in_the_Desert/faith_under_fire_in_the_desert.html+Frank+Buono+aclu&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Here's a balanced (and by that I mean balanced, not raving liberal) take on this.

Here are some excerpts that contradict some of what the WSJ insinuates:

“The way the law works is that certain kinds of suits, if they prevail, the law is that the lawyers are entitled to get reasonable attorneys fees... [in cases against the federal government] the rates are capped by the federal government, and in cases vs. the U.S. government, you have to prove their position is not substantially justified—that it’s a clear loser for them.”

“If we cherry picked our cases [just to make a profit], we would never sue the federal government to make money, we’d sue state and local governments [who lack fee caps],” Eliasberg explained."

yes, the plaintiffs in this case were the federal government,which is immune to bullying based on expensive legal fees, so when the WSJ say the ACLU "use the specter of massive attorney fees to force their secularist agenda on small school districts, cash-strapped municipalities and, now, veterans' memorials" you should be careful to note that they never in their article tell you the federal government is the defendant.

They also neglect to tell you that the park service, previous to the ACLU taking the case, was planning on removing the cross.  Or that the cross was not the original cross that was on the site.  Or that congressman Jerry Lewis earmarked $10,000 of that same taxpayer money that pays legal fees to attempt to put the cross on the national register of historic places, which it had been considered for but denied because it wasn't the original cross, among other reasons.

EDIT: all that said, I don't think the ACLU should have taken the case.  not a great decision on their part, but it wasn't a money grab like the WSJ insinuates, either.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:12:37 PM by NotMiki »

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2008, 02:41:12 AM »
Link too long

What the fuck
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 03, 2008, 05:17:11 AM »
God DAMN it.  Why do assholes think that opening new drilling sites will do anything in the long run?  Regardless of how much oil there may be, even if there is enough to sustain us for a few more years it'll run out eventually.  Opening offshore drilling is a short term solution for a problem that needs a long term one.  The sheer level of how juvenile the representatives acted is shocking enough, but the fact that the gallery was cheering while this went on is just a slap in the face.  What the fuck is this, a scene out of Idiocracy?  The House of Representin'? 

I OBJECT, HE INTERRUPTED ME WHILE I WAS WATCHING "OW MY BALLS!"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:22:32 AM by Zenthor »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #207 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:22 AM »
Because global warming and oil shortages are fabrications of the liberal media.  Duh.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2008, 05:26:27 AM »
We do need to drill more even as we wean ourselves off of oil as a whole. Domestic drilling has dropped massively since the oil crisis of the 70's.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2008, 05:44:08 AM »
Having more oil to inject into the market would ideally stablize prices and prevent any panics during the transition, but that really depends on how long it would take to get the new pumps up and running and how much it would sap resources away from developing other energy sources.  Haven't done enough research to really say much there though.
That there may or may not have been good cause doesn't make this less hilarious though.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 03, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
"He then said, "I am a Democrat, and here is my energy plan" and he held up a picture of an old VW Bug with a sail attached to it. He paraded around the House floor with the sign while the crowd cheered."

WITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 03, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »
What the fuck is this, a scene out of Idiocracy?  The House of Representin'?

SOUTH CAROLINA, REPRESENT!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2008, 11:25:13 PM »
Oil is far too politicized for politicians on either side of the aisle to act rationally about it.  Think the Democrats would sign a drilling bill that would likely mean more gov't money going to Halliburton and KBR in an election year?  Dream on.  Likewise, Senate Republicans killed the yearly bill assigning gov't grant money to solar power and alternative energy research because it was going to be paid for by reducing a tax credit for domestic oil companies.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2008, 01:15:00 AM »
Link too long

What the fuck

Just want to toss out here that there are 68 million acres of approved land for drilling, so I have no idea wtf some people are on these days.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
You'd think, right?  A lot of that land would cost more to drill from than the oil is worth because of the way the oil is stored.  Which begs the question of why the oil companies still have the leases on the land, of course.

Really, given that the estimate for getting any oil out of new wells is 10 years from now, the best solution is to stall until after the election, then compromise on a plan that makes sense.  Democrats would see any bill signed before an election as a compromise, and given Bush & Cheney's oil ties, they're not about to be convinced that the Republicans are right to want to drill; they see it as a land grab, pure and simple.  Of course, since making a deal will have zero effect on the current crisis, it really IS a land grab.  Doesn't mean it's not a good idea to drill more, just that the current circumstances aren't right for the government to make a good long term decision (not that they ever really are, but currently they're wronger than usual).

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 11, 2008, 05:48:29 AM »
-------------------

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »
Hahahahaha no fucking way
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2008, 12:52:47 AM »
http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8824012

Pay attention to the first place he broke into.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2008, 03:20:22 AM »

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 19, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
http://petfoodalpha.com/?p=1055

FFXI guild attempts to fight uber-boss, loses after 18 hours of nonstop gameplay. People were passing out and puking and shit.

What the fuck?

What kind of mental illness do these people have that they spend 18 hours fighting a single boss in a videogame?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
Meh, I'm less on the case of the people playing it, as I am annoyed by the guy who's on the comments board calling the group whining pussies for daring to complain about this boss that apparently needs 25 hours of play to beat.  Oh, and the real idiot here is Squenix for even making a boss like that.  I mean, that thing takes longer to beat than some RPGs.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=73276
Good old racism; was wondering when this would start showing up.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
WND is about as valid a political site as the new internationalist.

Edit: Fuck off and die MC, that reminded of NI and I then read a couple stories there. augh
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 05:31:16 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »
I tried reading that thing. I stopped when the writer began using black slang that was outdated in the '70s to make a point. uuuuuuurgh
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 03, 2008, 12:34:40 AM »
http://consumerist.com/5043005/whos-smiling-now-enzyte-scammer-gets-25-years-in-prison

I'd like to express how this makes me feel, but it's mostly humorous clown sound effects.