Author Topic: Idiot of the Day  (Read 251665 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot of the Day
« Reply #1325 on: February 27, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
American comic books, the general rules are: homages = ok, parodies = ok, copying character designs otherwise = poor taste.  The Deadpool/Deathstroke thing is on reason (among many) Rob Liefeld has a reputation as a hack in the industry.

Panel-for-panel copying isn't something you'd see much of in US comics, or at least notice or care about, because panel-to-panel movements are much more abbreviated, so there's not as much to copy.  (Go read Understanding Comics, it has a great breakdown of the different ways panels are treated in Asian as opposed to American/European comics.)  Anyway, the panel-stealing is blatant enough to notice, and that's baaaad.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1326 on: February 27, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
It also doesn't help that every anime style looks a helluva lot like every other damn anime style ever.  Though the live journal post did put up some more convincing pieces of evidence since the first time I got linked that earlier yesterday.

That's half the point of the style.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 01, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?channel=News+Daily&clipid=2683_news-violence-010310&bitrate=300&format=flash

Experts show that children are exposed to at least a hundred million thousand million thousand hundred thousand million hundred violent crimes against babies before the age of 2 because of violent video games like this GAME THAT IS FUCKING RATED 15+ and there is going to be a movement for harsher ratings for violent video games WHEN WE HAVE NO FUCKING R RATING FOR VIDEO GAMES.

Fuck you Australian media.  Fuck you in the eyes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:17 PM »
The thing that gets me is the "expert" who says the link is stronger than the link to smoking.

I tend to keep relatively up to date with the research, and there's no particular proven link, beyond the link of "anything violent from TV shows to movies to Cartoons to games causes a short-term increase in aggression right after watching it, but not any long-term effect."

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?channel=News+Daily&clipid=2683_news-violence-010310&bitrate=300&format=flash

Experts show that children are exposed to at least a hundred million thousand million thousand hundred thousand million hundred violent crimes against babies before the age of 2 because of violent video games like this GAME THAT IS FUCKING RATED 15+ and there is going to be a movement for harsher ratings for violent video games WHEN WE HAVE NO FUCKING R RATING FOR VIDEO GAMES.

Fuck you Australian media.  Fuck you in the eyes.

Well, we've just got to tough it out until the Boomers start dying off, and then games will just be another form of media. Unfortunately with the unstoppable advance of geriatric science and the fact they've squeezed everything they can out of the system and will continue to do so means that it will take a very long time.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »
Oh there is so much more.  That shop at the start of the video?  Yeah that really looks open for business WHILE THERE IS COPS OUT THE FRONT.
The attack Angry Anderson mentions has had so much more wrong with it than violent video games.

And the expert is talking about violent media in general, not just video games, but that is all they ever fucking talk about.  Oh and PLANNING an attack on civilians they mention.  They are trying to be smart and avoiding noting that you can actively not take part in that mission with the terrorist plot where you are an undercover agent trying take down the organisation, you can skip the sequence, you can not shoot anyone, pretty sure you can even actively try to hinder it.  So hey not wanting to be called on that bullshit you ROMG HELP PLAN THE ATTACK (which you know, you have no fucking input into in the game) and the act of planning things is not violent.  The execution of the plan is, but planning it is not violent.

So again, fuck you media, fuck you.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 01, 2010, 11:54:01 PM »
The thing that gets me is the "expert" who says the link is stronger than the link to smoking.

You get lung cancer from video games, not smoking.  Duh?

EDIT: Bejeweled = low tar?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 11:55:34 PM by NotMiki »

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 02, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »

You get lung cancer from video games, not smoking.  Duh?

EDIT: Bejeweled = low tar?

The problem is, Bejeweled is very similar to meth.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 02, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/02/brooklyn.babies.in.bars/index.html?hpt=C1

"As a stay-at-home dad, it can be kind of isolating. Bars, as much as they're places to drink, they're places to socialize and meet people," said Gross, 35, a freelance writer, an editor for the blog DadWagon and the columnist behind the Frugal Traveler in The New York Times. "I long for adult contact. ... I don't want to be excluded from the adult world."

Get out of the gene pool, you failure. Bringing a small child to a bar is the height of bad parenting.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 02, 2010, 11:07:39 PM »
Get out of the gene pool, you failure. Bringing a small child to a bar is the height of bad parenting.

As a former resident of the neighborhood he lives in (where you visited me in New York, super) I can say that there exist bars in the area tame enough to make visiting one with a kid understandable.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/02/brooklyn.babies.in.bars/index.html?hpt=C1

"As a stay-at-home dad, it can be kind of isolating. Bars, as much as they're places to drink, they're places to socialize and meet people," said Gross, 35, a freelance writer, an editor for the blog DadWagon and the columnist behind the Frugal Traveler in The New York Times. "I long for adult contact. ... I don't want to be excluded from the adult world."

I wouldn't bring a small child to a bar after seven (mostly because in Oregon, that is illegal) but plenty of them are no different than taking a small child to a Applebee's if you go during the afternoon, except that the drinks aren't watered and the food isn't awful.

This is, of course, a statement on Oregon, where it's illegal to serve drinks without food and thus, basically every bar serves at least dinner, if not lunch and breakfast.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:52 AM »
I have to agree with NotMiki here, Super.  Just having a kid in a bar isn't a huge deal depending on the bar, the parent, and the people that frequent it.  You can't really make a blanket statement here.

Edit: Apparently also with Rob.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
I'm more disappointed in the other people they interviewed. "OMG I can't drink a beer with a KID IN TEH BAR!!!!"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 03, 2010, 01:04:08 PM »
People are disturbingly repressed.  OMG CAN'T SMOKE IN FRONT OF A CHILD!!!!!  Fuck that shit.  Agreeing with NotJim and Rob here as well.  In the middle of the day at lunch or shit even an early dinner?  Yeah I would totally be fine with that at plenty of pubs since anywhere worth even thinking about at the times you would be out and about with a child are really tame dining places that sell beer.  We aren't talking about going to one at 9 at night where it is full of people trying to fuck each other, it is people going to get a beer and steak at lunch/dinner or the like.  Pubs are honestly pretty much just another cheap diner most of the day.

I also applaud stay at home parents going out and doing anything to get some kind of contact with another human being that is over the age of 16.  You have no idea just how badly most stay at home parents need it.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/nyregion/04paterson.html?hp?hp

Governor Paterson went from 'running for reelection' last week to 'probably won't resign,' and that was BEFORE this latest hit.  Way to replace Spitzer, dude.

EDIT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/opinion/03wed1.html?ref=opinion

The Times is calling for his resignation.  This editorial highlights the more serious stuff involving the coverup for his aide, not the minor (though totally inexcusable in the sense that there's absolutely no way he didn't know he was violating the ethics laws) ticket payment stuff.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:06:58 AM by NotMiki »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
People are disturbingly repressed.  OMG CAN'T SMOKE IN FRONT OF A CHILD!!!!!  Fuck that shit.  Agreeing with NotJim and Rob here as well.  In the middle of the day at lunch or shit even an early dinner?  Yeah I would totally be fine with that at plenty of pubs since anywhere worth even thinking about at the times you would be out and about with a child are really tame dining places that sell beer.  We aren't talking about going to one at 9 at night where it is full of people trying to fuck each other, it is people going to get a beer and steak at lunch/dinner or the like.  Pubs are honestly pretty much just another cheap diner most of the day.

Yes.  There's a huge difference between bar & grill or restaurant with a bar and the club.  Hell even a proper bar wouldn't be that bad.  A little odd, but nobody would let the gits drink and you can't smoke inside bars anymore, so at worst it's really noisy and you're exposing the kid to some shit music. 

Now, if someone (or some couple) brought a kid into a bar, and then proceded to leave them unsupervised by getting incoherently drunk, then you have some room to be swingin' 'round the judg'ment st'ck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:11:33 PM by Makkotah »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 05, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
So again, fuck you media, fuck you.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/video-game-cancer-group-funded-by-atkinson/story-e6frfro0-1225837330811

To follow up on that story!  The piece of propaganda about how video games are the satan?  Research funded for by one of the chief opponents to video game classification issues we have here in Australia, one Michael Atkinson (this being a man who fought against and succeeded in us not having an R 18+ rating on video games).

Dodgey dodgey dodgey.  I am shocked at this revelation.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 05, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
It's like Australia is becoming all the worst stereotypes about America. You're already fatter than us.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 06, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
This guy is trumped by the fact that video game players make better surgeons.  What's wrong with a little violence if you go to work and save someone's life?

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 07, 2010, 02:23:31 AM »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:46 AM »
Just another entry on my list of reasons that I am extremely racist against Koreans.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1347 on: March 07, 2010, 11:33:04 PM »
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/flashback_anti_gay_roy_ashburn_history.php?ref=fpblg

for teh children.

From the comments:

"Those who are down on homosexuals in public have been down on homosexuals in private."

Just from personal experience, this has been true so many times, it's not even funny.

Well, okay, it's a little funny.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:39 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/opinion/03wed1.html

http://www.newyorkpost.com/rw/nypost/2010/03/05/covers/front030510.jpg

How you know you're in trouble: both the New York Times and New York Post think it's time for you to go.  I didn't even know those papers could agree.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 08, 2010, 02:34:42 PM »
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/massa_to_aide_what_i_really_ought_to_be_doing_is_fracking.php?ref=fpa

I'm beginning to suspect congress is like that city of women in Slayers NEXT.  I'm eagerly anticipating the climax if that is indeed the case.  Someone in the DL needs to run on a platform of being, like, the straightest person ever so they can investigate.