Author Topic: Fiction Discussion and stuff (WoT SPOILERS HEREIN)  (Read 7397 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Links 2 - The Vengeance
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »
Meh, even as a fan of Jordan I have a fair bit to criticise about his style, his pacing runs roughshod all over the reader fairly often, the climaxes have this huge build to them and the ultimate pay off is usually fairly short sharp and sudden right at the end of the book, with a good chance that the climax is one that is climax to a completely different plot arc than the ones that were being built up.  Books 1-3 are better about it and so is book 11, but 4-10 which is like the greater half of the series does have some fairly questionable style choices.

Still very good at world building and does very well at changing character voice to make each of the (Male) characters (that are not evil) unique.  That said for all his long windedness and taking 6 more books to say it (counting the book that he won't write that isn't out yet),  Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tolkien at any given aspect of writing.  Pacing, suspension of disbelief, pacing, not describing stupid fucking mountains (He may be hung up on clothes, but at least they are, you know SOMETHING to do with a character), not bursting into bad poetry.  The list could go on.

So yeah.

And I guess it makes sense with the list being Brittish for Rankin to be pretty high ranking.  Still he is pretty surreal at times.

Edit - And why not just chop it into the Books topic if you can?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 11:05:54 PM »
Elfboy, please. <_< I asked you guys to stop once already.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »
For the love of god, what have I wrought?

Well, there we have it. Everything is Trips's fault.

As for Jordan and Rowling, I don't see much reason to consider either "important as a writer."

As hinode observed, this list isn't judging importance as a writer, and I'm not sure where you got the idea I thought it was? Looking back, it's when I said "I respect their importance as writers" but went on to say that wasn't how either of us were judging this list! So if neither of us is, let's just drop this point and admit we're sniping over subjectivity.

It came from this:

Unshockingly I couldn't disagree with El Cid more. Bradbury is boring and at times repetitively moralistic, while Gibson is just unreadable. I respect their importance as writers, but it's obvious you aren't using that as criteria for the list, or you wouldn't be singling out the two you did as not belonging.

Bolded sentence seemed to suggest that there was considerable "importance" attached to the two I singled out and that I was at fault for not considering this angle, hence why I responded stating that I don't think either really qualify because: A) They're just too current to accurately judge what kind of legacy they might have; B) I'm highly skeptical that they'll have much of one because neither introduced much in the way of new concepts to the genre and this is a highly important factor in determining my respect for an artist in any medium. There are writers I don't like at all who I'll still concede made a major impact on the genre (paging Asimov and Tolkein).

For the record? I read--and enjoyed--all the Harry Potter books. I still think Rowling being rated over a vast number of the people on a list like this, by any criteria short of raw sales (which I'm disinclined to say mean much of anything) is silly. I don't even hate Jordan, for all that this topic probably makes it look that way (there are people I think are totally worthless, and he's not quite in that category). I just don't think he's a good writer, for reasons I've stated as well as Grefter's, minus the respect for the worldbuilding in WoT (though I suspect Grefter's post will probably not help me out here, since it denigrates Tolkein--something I wholly agree with, by the way, and which I know you do not). So if you're actually interested in continuing this conversation--and assuming we haven't pissed off the entirety of the board yet--I'd say go ahead and post whatever it was you had in mind earlier.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Fiction Discussion and stuff
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:43 AM »
I'm a bit confused that you think I was attaching significance to how important a writer is, after I'd just gone and attacked Bradbury and Gibson myself. I thought you might be attaching the significance, given that importance-as-a-writer is something those two have, but apparently you weren't. So as I said in my previous post, let's just move on from this subject because it's clear neither of us are basing this argument around importance.

I'll post the Jordan stuff some other time, if you're interested. For now I think the board would just appreicate if we both shut up, so I'll oblige. Hugs?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »
Hugs.

And kittens.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:06 AM »
I prefer mud wrestling but sure, hugs works.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »
I had no problem with it, but I almost majored in History (and before that, Literature) before realizing it was a bullshit major that didn't go anywhere and opted for Law, so... hey.

Wow Rob, that was like something I never expected to ever read.  Law of all things?

Why not? Law fits me perfectly. I love the sound of my own voice. I want lots of money and I will crawl over as many people as I must to get it. Only the vaguest shreds of morality guide my life. And I desire the power to get unseen revenge on everyone I hate later in life.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »
I had no problem with it, but I almost majored in History (and before that, Literature) before realizing it was a bullshit major that didn't go anywhere and opted for Law, so... hey.

Wow Rob, that was like something I never expected to ever read.  Law of all things?

Why not? Law fits me perfectly. I love the sound of my own voice. I want lots of money and I will crawl over as many people as I must to get it. Only the vaguest shreds of morality guide my life. And I desire the power to get unseen revenge on everyone I hate later in life.

You're Katherine Stiener-Davion?

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 01:42:19 AM »
Some people will like certain authors, and some people will not.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:57 AM »

You're Katherine Stiener-Davion?

Caesar Steiner, because I'll use it to party.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:13 AM »
As for Jordan and Rowling, I don't see much reason to consider either "important as a writer." Sure, they sell a lot of books. So what? That doesn't mean they're anything more than the flavor of the moment if the work can't withstand scrutiny years after it's heyday. Obviously the jury's still out on that, but I have a hard time seeing either be as influential as a great many of the people below them on that list. WoT and HP both are pretty basic, meat-and-potates fantasy.

That's fine if you can put a good spin on it, but Jordan in particular commits the cardinal sin of being a dull writer. This isn't a matter of preferring one style over another; this is a matter of him not really having any. Divorced totally from the actual ideas and stories within his books (which I'm not touching right now), the actual prose is uninspired and repetitive. Does he have to say "So-and-so looked poleaxed" every time one of the main guys is surprised? I've read several metric tonnes of fantasy by now; if someone's going to write about an Epic Battle Between Good and Evil, I need to see something novel in the presentation, and I don't find that here (Rowling at least has a decent sense of humor). He turns out solid fluff, and that was fine in high school, but I have different standards now and he doesn't match up anymore. If what to me seems like dry and uninventive writing constitutes an actual "style," then I have to wonder what makes it so compelling to you.

HP's going to hold up the test of time, I'd think. Even if it's written off as generic fantasy pop (I haven't read it, can't comment) think about the impact it caused in fantasy and literature in general. How many new and returning readers did HP create? Think about what an event each of the book's release was.  In 20-30 years I'm pretty sure we'll see Rowling's work cited as the reason why they got interested in creative writing. Something with that kind of massive, massive fan appeal is going to do that.

I strongly disgaree with casting WoT as standard fantasy. It is fantasy, but the world isn't standard fantasy. Jordan does a good job of setting up several unique countries and settings and uses them to good effect in the book. Being based so much on the real world past helps, and he mixes and matches sometimes to comic effect (Seanchan having a Texas drawl) and sometimes to depressing effects. (Children of the Light). The series is very strong both in how it uniquely presents it's magic and how it handles the male/female dynamic, most fantasy tends to schew strongly towards male dominated characters and worlds, which makes sense. The length of the series also gives the mains time to grow up and mature. The difference in every single one of the younger PoV characters is tremendous from the early books to the mid books to the end books. Rand, Mat, Perrin, Elayne, Egwene, Faile, Nynaeve etc all change and grow based on their enviroment. older ones do as well, Siuan is one of the most compelling characters in the series after the events at the end of the Shadow Rising. All deal with a really chaotic world and do the best they can and fuck it up pretty regularly.

It also has the best villian cast I've read in general. There are plenty of misunderstood but fundementally decent people who oppose Rand or what's supposed to happen for understandable reasons. The nobles he pushes around, Gawyn (wanker still, but yeah), Elaida.. all aren't good people, but have reasons for doing what they do. That goes through the nastier, the self centered, all the way to the outright disgusting but not evil, like most Whitecloaks and the Seanchan. It gives every one of those points of view in the books, even if briefly. It helps to shed light on the motivations of the characters. In some cases it's nothing more than confirming the reader's thoughs. The other times.. see above. This doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of true evil characters. The forsaken are outright evil by any definition, mass murderers and destroyers.  They also aren't all 'rar evil', they think thinks through, make mistakes, and certainly bring an interesting view of things. Hell, one even loves the main character and even gets pushed around by him some. Stupid? Yeah, but it makes for good reading.

Standard but good light fantasy reading is something like Salvatore's Drizzt novels. Even though there are a billon dark elves in everquest now, no one is going to define the books as great reading or truly earth shaking in spite of the sales. It's a mostly static world with characters that change.. some, but not too much. They adventure, overcome problems, etc etc. This changes a bit in later books, but the basic formula is the same.  As for what I'd define as bad fantasy? Dragonlance. Yuck. I loved the books when I was younger, but they should have been stoppeafter the twins arc. Even that is flawed outside of some character interaction, thanks to a worthless main (Thanks Tanis, there's a reason you're barely in the series after the orginial three novels) and a largely boring world.

He very much has a style. I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Go read generic DnD novels and come back to me with comments like that. His novels are written fairly simply, which I don't mind. They also have a lot of depth depending on how you read. If you put together context clues you can piece together a hell of a lot of what's happening before it's outright said in the books. The way it's handled content wise is something I also approve of. Rape, sex, and violent stuff in general happens but it doesn't get described in detail. Example of this would be Mogheiden's rape at the hands of Shadar Hardin in Path of Daggers, or any of the torture scenes. These are usually in a way to get the horror across without revelling in it or being too graphic. 

The basic style is written for teens. A lot of the depth of the series is something you pick up later and on rereads, along with the worst of the darker subtones.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article2484987.ece

This is worth reading. I enjoy Jordan's quotes here.

Jordan – a kindly, courteous man – stood up well to such slights, and defended a genre that he felt made it possible “to talk about right and wrong, good and evil, with a straight face”. “So often in mainstream fiction there are no real value judgments,” he told one interviewer. “. . . Mainstream literature is often the literature of depression for the depressed, written by the depressed and read by the depressed. My characters have a difficult time, they are aware that there is something called ‘good’ and ‘evil’ and they have to struggle to figure out which is which. Morality in mainstream fiction is an amorphous lump of grey.”

And his legacy? Jordan kept in contact with his fans to the end, bedeviling them with thousands of RAFO comments (Usually about who killed Asmodean. It was Grendeal, but that's not important). He responded to every critic in a civil fashion and treated his fans and the genre well, something Rowling hasn't always done. Even at his sickest he had his cousin post updates about his health and told his fans about progress in his novels. His novels make the characters take moral stances without beating you over the head with it or making them saints. One of the major themes of his writing that comes out in his comments from his fans is that he even with the sometimes boggling detail he puts into his works there is plenty to still figure out. A sharp reader can pin down exactly where Semirhage is five books before she actually is revealed or can figure out what happened to Moiraine and Asmodean by book 6 at the latest or where Mesaana is by book 10 at the latest, revealing a Black Ajah travelling with Nyaneve and Elyane three books early, etc. These aren't things that make or break the series, but it does provide a nice layer to things. It goes back to treating his readers with respect and giving them clues but not telling them outright.

How he wrote his characters was important, in how they grew up and made mistakes. But how he encouraged his fans and helped revive the genre is important. He was -hugely- successful as a fantasy writer during a time when almost nothing for fantasy was selling besides for Salvatore's Drizzt novels and the horseshit that was Dragonlance.  I know I became a bigger fan of the series when I was able to get online and read more about the backround of the world and all the depth put into it, and how Jordan treated his fans. It was awesome that the author was just as much of a fan of the work as I was, and considered talking about it to be a privlidge instead of a job. Fuck off, Watterson.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 04:26:39 AM »
Meh, even as a fan of Jordan I have a fair bit to criticise about his style, his pacing runs roughshod all over the reader fairly often, the climaxes have this huge build to them and the ultimate pay off is usually fairly short sharp and sudden right at the end of the book, with a good chance that the climax is one that is climax to a completely different plot arc than the ones that were being built up.  Books 1-3 are better about it and so is book 11, but 4-10 which is like the greater half of the series does have some fairly questionable style choices.

Still very good at world building and does very well at changing character voice to make each of the (Male) characters (that are not evil) unique.  That said for all his long windedness and taking 6 more books to say it (counting the book that he won't write that isn't out yet),  Jordan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tolkien at any given aspect of writing.  Pacing, suspension of disbelief, pacing, not describing stupid fucking mountains (He may be hung up on clothes, but at least they are, you know SOMETHING to do with a character), not bursting into bad poetry.  The list could go on.

I don't think any of his fans were really happy with the pacing problems from book 8-10 and some of The Dragon Reborn. CoT is the worst offender here, Perrin's arc really should have been wrapped up then. In spite of some of the hate most of the PoV women I found to be pretty good. Aes Sedai are horrible failure across the board generally, but that's the point. Spend 3000 years putting yourself above people and men especially and you're going to have problems dealing with the real world.

Egwene and Nyaneve are good examples here. THey have bad moments- Nynaeve needs to be slapped at several points in books 3-6, Egwene's treatment of Rand after Moiraine vanished was pretty awful, etc. They also have some of the better points of views in the series. Egwene's Salidar stuff is a joy to read generally, her handling of the Aes Sedai is something else. Her book 11 PoV is probably the highlight of Knife of Dreams. Her time with the Aiel is very good, her Seanchan stuff is as well.. etc. I agree with the knocks on Elayne and she's really boring to read. Her connection with Rand is barely there and yet it's harped on constantly. She's fine when she is support but the Elayne/Nynaeve PoV drops off sharply as soon as the bowl of the winds story is wrapped up and Nynaeve is more or less finished up as a main character. The Andor stuff I've punted before, the pregancy story is worse. Yet even with that she has decent interaction with Nyaneve in their story arc. Her connection with Aveidena is also good, it's also nice to see her finally deal with what she did at the stone of tear to Mat. Faile is fail and requires repeated and brutal beatings before becoming tolerable but hey, no one's perfect.

Male characters are definitely better overall, but that's to be expected when the three biggest characters in the series are male.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »
It was more the females and villains tend to be fairly interchangable and are massively lacking in the diverse range of tones that the males have.  There is some exceptions, but they are just that, the exception to the rule. 

Villains, there are some members of the Forsaken that easilly blur into one another, even in their backstory (Sammael and Demandred, blah) and Aginor and ... Balthamel?  Shit I can't even remember, obviously have only come to any attention since the whole Osangar and Arangar thing, and even then off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which is which, there is guy one and chick one, with the guy one being worthless.  Anyone below Forsaken in rank is pretty much generic and power hungry and about to be screwed over by fate or by their masters.

I mean when you think of women in WoT they pretty much all are grumpy over men doing generic masculine things and are chock full of pent up anger that they pretend to hide by fiddling with their clothes is almost a universal quality.  That is pretty much the extent to the hatred of men even the Red Ajah put out there, which is the exact same reaction you see in every other female on the planet.

It just seems really weird considering how varied the other characterisations are.

I also love the part about how morality is amorphous blobs of grey in most mediums, because the way that Good and Evil can be discussed without being utterly ludicrous in WoT is the fact that it has shades of grey in either side of its Good and Evil, which is what makes it good compared to video game plot. 

On that note, dood and evil being really multidimensional is pretty sexy stuff lacking in stuff I would call pulp fantasy really.  People obviously like it to boot (see success of Jordan and Martin).

Side note on Dragon Lance: Tanis Halfelven is a prime example of the flaws of turning your D&D game into a novel.  The guy that rolled a generic as fuck half elf Ranger is just going to be boring to read about no matter how well the others pan out to whatever degree of success that might be.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »
Gah. Was gonna let this die, but if Super's game...

Having read the post, responses keep shoving their way into my brain. Have to write something down just so I can get it out of my head and think about something else. Apologies if you're sick of the topic, folks (though really, I'd suggest you just stop reading it in that case).

HP's going to hold up the test of time, I'd think. Even if it's written off as generic fantasy pop (I haven't read it, can't comment) think about the impact it caused in fantasy and literature in general. How many new and returning readers did HP create? Think about what an event each of the book's release was.  In 20-30 years I'm pretty sure we'll see Rowling's work cited as the reason why they got interested in creative writing. Something with that kind of massive, massive fan appeal is going to do that.

It's possible, yes. In the meantime, I'll remain skeptical and favor people who've been established in the field for decades whenever talk of "relevance" starts up. (Again, not that that's precisely what this conversation is about, but the point was raised so why not respond to it? I admit to being curious as to what lists based on that criteria would look like).

I strongly disgaree with casting WoT as standard fantasy. It is fantasy, but the world isn't standard fantasy. Jordan does a good job of setting up several unique countries and settings and uses them to good effect in the book. Being based so much on the real world past helps, and he mixes and matches sometimes to comic effect (Seanchan having a Texas drawl) and sometimes to depressing effects. (Children of the Light). The series is very strong both in how it uniquely presents it's magic and how it handles the male/female dynamic, most fantasy tends to schew strongly towards male dominated characters and worlds, which makes sense. The length of the series also gives the mains time to grow up and mature. The difference in every single one of the younger PoV characters is tremendous from the early books to the mid books to the end books. Rand, Mat, Perrin, Elayne, Egwene, Faile, Nynaeve etc all change and grow based on their enviroment. older ones do as well, Siuan is one of the most compelling characters in the series after the events at the end of the Shadow Rising. All deal with a really chaotic world and do the best they can and fuck it up pretty regularly.

I've actually never been very impressed with the worldbuilding in WoT. The individual countries have some flavor, but nothing ever jumped out to me as being a really cool place to explore. They seem to have developed in a vacuum; there's not a lot of shared history between them. WoT's history was always focused on the macro scale, the passing of the ages. Local color is mostly treated in a cursory fashion. Fine, that's Jordan's prerogative, but I'm a junkie for intricately imagined fictional cultures and none of WoT's countries had the kind of detail to grab me. And the aiel are pretty much lifted straight from Dune, in flavor and in the arrival of a chosen one.

There's worse out there, sure, but I wouldn't mark the setting as one of the series's selling points (did the world ever actually get a name?)

Also, I'd actually cite male/female interactions as one of Jordan's main weaknesses. Far, far too much of it boils down to men inadvertantly slighting the women, with the women calling them woolyheaded and stalking off in a huff.

It also has the best villian cast I've read in general. There are plenty of misunderstood but fundementally decent people who oppose Rand or what's supposed to happen for understandable reasons. The nobles he pushes around, Gawyn (wanker still, but yeah), Elaida.. all aren't good people, but have reasons for doing what they do. That goes through the nastier, the self centered, all the way to the outright disgusting but not evil, like most Whitecloaks and the Seanchan. It gives every one of those points of view in the books, even if briefly. It helps to shed light on the motivations of the characters. In some cases it's nothing more than confirming the reader's thoughs. The other times.. see above. This doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of true evil characters. The forsaken are outright evil by any definition, mass murderers and destroyers.  They also aren't all 'rar evil', they think thinks through, make mistakes, and certainly bring an interesting view of things. Hell, one even loves the main character and even gets pushed around by him some. Stupid? Yeah, but it makes for good reading.

The villain cast never really stood out to me. I recall the focus overwhelmingly being on Rand and company (this isn't innately bad, just my recollection). Most of the villains melt together into a "Rawr, power-hungry" blur by this point. More on this later.

Standard but good light fantasy reading is something like Salvatore's Drizzt novels. Even though there are a billon dark elves in everquest now, no one is going to define the books as great reading or truly earth shaking in spite of the sales. It's a mostly static world with characters that change.. some, but not too much. They adventure, overcome problems, etc etc. This changes a bit in later books, but the basic formula is the same.  As for what I'd define as bad fantasy? Dragonlance. Yuck. I loved the books when I was younger, but they should have been stoppeafter the twins arc. Even that is flawed outside of some character interaction, thanks to a worthless main (Thanks Tanis, there's a reason you're barely in the series after the orginial three novels) and a largely boring world.

Haven't read any of the Drizz't stuff and don't have much interest in doing so. I pretty much avoid anything adhering to the standard humans/elves/dwarves breakdown these days. I lack faith in the ability of most people to convincingly write non-humans (it's hard enough for most people to nail believable human psychology). Too easy to slide into one-dimensional tropes or just write them as "people but slightly different." There are exceptions, but not enough of them (if you have good, original examples, let me know. By "original," I mean authors writing in worlds of their own design. I don't have much interest in seeing someone write in a setting they didn't create, unless it was part of some collaborative project to begin with).

Wholly agreed on Dragonlance stuff, and pretty much anything franchised. Bottom rung of the genre without question. Weis & Hickman stuff was fun when I was a kid, but that's about it.

He very much has a style. I'm not sure where you're getting that from? Go read generic DnD novels and come back to me with comments like that. His novels are written fairly simply, which I don't mind. They also have a lot of depth depending on how you read. If you put together context clues you can piece together a hell of a lot of what's happening before it's outright said in the books. The way it's handled content wise is something I also approve of. Rape, sex, and violent stuff in general happens but it doesn't get described in detail. Example of this would be Mogheiden's rape at the hands of Shadar Hardin in Path of Daggers, or any of the torture scenes. These are usually in a way to get the horror across without revelling in it or being too graphic.

The basic style is written for teens. A lot of the depth of the series is something you pick up later and on rereads, along with the worst of the darker subtones.

I think you've pretty much nailed it with that bolded sentence there. I'm not a teenager. Should I approach the series with different standards since I'm apparently not the target audience? That's special pleading and short-circuits the entire discussion (not that that would be entirely a bad thing--I'm typing way too much at work). All I can do is approach it the way I do everything else. I draw a distinction between "style I don't like" and "not actually good writing," and Jordan falls on the far side of that. It really stood out with Path of Daggers, after a couple years of waiting for a new installment in the series (and a couple years of personal growth in college). I'm talking about the actual quality of the prose here, words used, phrasing, etc. His descriptions are painfully repetitive. This isn't a style point to me; it's just being uncreative. It can be used to inject flavor into a setting, but Jordan badly overuses it. At the very least, hearing the same expressions over and over becomes wearisome in a series this long.

Also, I must note that depth showing up mostly on rereads is bad news for a 10+ volume series averaging 800 pages or more per installment. It shouldn't be necessary, and when it takes that much time to find "depth" (the definition of which varies by individual, of course, but these are your words) something's badly wrong with the pacing of the series.

Which brings us to the really crippling problem with Wheel of Time: the appalling lack of pacing and plot movement in the later installments. Path of Daggers in particular was unforgivable and caused me to drop the series. Whether by design to stretch out the series (stunts like resurrecting the dead Forsaken make me consider this a possibility), or through simply getting lost amidst his own web of subplots, the feeling of making genuine progress died somewhere around book seven or eight. A prologue should not be seventy-five pages long, no matter how complicated the plot.

I'm told things have picked up in the last couple books (Saidin being cleansed, etcetera), but I can't bring myself to care any more. Readers should not have to slog through sixteen hundred pages loaded with the minor intrigues of forgettable secondary characters to get to the important stuff. You can say "It got better after that," and this might be true, but it doesn't matter. A lull like that shouldn't happen in the first place and it totally killed what interest I had left in the series. This is the most important point to get across, because it totally overwhelmed anything he'd done right in my eyes. WoT wore out its welcome and lost me for good.

Jordan – a kindly, courteous man – stood up well to such slights, and defended a genre that he felt made it possible “to talk about right and wrong, good and evil, with a straight face”. “So often in mainstream fiction there are no real value judgments,” he told one interviewer. “. . . Mainstream literature is often the literature of depression for the depressed, written by the depressed and read by the depressed. My characters have a difficult time, they are aware that there is something called ‘good’ and ‘evil’ and they have to struggle to figure out which is which. Morality in mainstream fiction is an amorphous lump of grey.”

Commendable, but having an actual embodiment of evil in WoT blunts the edge of this somewhat. Certainly most of the scenes with villains that I recall mostly boil down to their actions being based on unenlightened self-interest and basic greed. How diverse can a villain's motives really be when they're serving the root of all evil? From what I recall, not very. I remember being intrigued by the one who jumped sides in Crown of Swords (Asmodean? Was that the dude), but he gets killed pretty much immediately afterwards. Main characters and supporting villains are better than the Forsaken, yeah, but still not as far into shades of gray as I like to see (Jordan's still better at it than schlubs like Brooks and Eddings, though).

And his legacy? Jordan kept in contact with his fans to the end, bedeviling them with thousands of RAFO comments (Usually about who killed Asmodean. It was Grendeal, but that's not important). He responded to every critic in a civil fashion and treated his fans and the genre well, something Rowling hasn't always done. Even at his sickest he had his cousin post updates about his health and told his fans about progress in his novels.

This is cool and gives him bonus points in regards to being a decent human being. It doesn't affect my perception of the books at all, though.

His novels make the characters take moral stances without beating you over the head with it or making them saints. One of the major themes of his writing that comes out in his comments from his fans is that he even with the sometimes boggling detail he puts into his works there is plenty to still figure out. A sharp reader can pin down exactly where Semirhage is five books before she actually is revealed or can figure out what happened to Moiraine and Asmodean by book 6 at the latest or where Mesaana is by book 10 at the latest, revealing a Black Ajah travelling with Nyaneve and Elyane three books early, etc. These aren't things that make or break the series, but it does provide a nice layer to things. It goes back to treating his readers with respect and giving them clues but not telling them outright.

If anything, there's too much in the way of minor characters. Far too many to keep track of, and not enough work put in to make all of them memorable. I remember reading the prologue to Path of Daggers and just going "Who are these people?" My impression here--and this goes for a lot of things about WoT--is that the kind of detail I want to see has been sacrificed for epic scope.

But how he encouraged his fans and helped revive the genre is important. He was -hugely- successful as a fantasy writer during a time when almost nothing for fantasy was selling besides for Salvatore's Drizzt novels and the horseshit that was Dragonlance.

I'm just wondering, do we know this for a fact? If we're talking about something measurable, like comparitive sales, statistics are nice.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
For the record, almost all prologues take place through the eyes of people that we never have seen before or again (there is exceptions again, but they are normally padded with the unseen again).  They are the bring you back up to date with the world and its current situation chapters.

Asmodean got forced to change sides in Shadow Rising and killed off in ... Fires of the Heavens I think, which is like 2 books before Crown of Swords, this just helps your argument with pacing >_> I could even be wrong by a book or so though.

Pacing is definitely a real problem with the series especially around the point you have dropped it.  Book 9 isn't really any better, but book 10 and 11 have been really good.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Fiction Discussion and stuff (WoT SPOILERS HEREIN)
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:48 AM »
It's possible, yes. In the meantime, I'll remain skeptical and favor people who've been established in the field for decades whenever talk of "relevance" starts up. (Again, not that that's precisely what this conversation is about, but the point was raised so why not respond to it? I admit to being curious as to what lists based on that criteria would look like).

I don't know how the point got raised exactly, but regardless of the writing or novel quality I don't see how you can discount the huge impact HP's had and is going to have. It's like FF7 in that regard for RPG's.

I've actually never been very impressed with the worldbuilding in WoT. The individual countries have some flavor, but nothing ever jumped out to me as being a really cool place to explore. They seem to have developed in a vacuum; there's not a lot of shared history between them. WoT's history was always focused on the macro scale, the passing of the ages. Local color is mostly treated in a cursory fashion. Fine, that's Jordan's prerogative, but I'm a junkie for intricately imagined fictional cultures and none of WoT's countries had the kind of detail to grab me. And the aiel are pretty much lifted straight from Dune, in flavor and in the arrival of a chosen one.

There's worse out there, sure, but I wouldn't mark the setting as one of the series's selling points (did the world ever actually get a name?)

Also, I'd actually cite male/female interactions as one of Jordan's main weaknesses. Far, far too much of it boils down to men inadvertantly slighting the women, with the women calling them woolyheaded and stalking off in a huff.

Come on. The first book alone has several memorable locations. The travel through the Ways, the Blight (Criminally underused in general in the series). Fal Dara. The vast emptiness of the carlan grass as Egwene and Perrin stumble through it. Shadar Logoth. Interaction I also have to disagree about. The conflicts between nations and people is in large part what moves the world. Look at how often the hate between Cairhein and the Aiel comes up, or Tarabon and Arad Doman, or the shared history of the borderlands, the Children and pretty much everyone.. etc etc. One of the things the four books do so well is move around constantly, it gives Jordan an excuse to further explore the world and it's people. This bogs down later on, which goes back to the serious pacing problems the series has.

It didn't get a name. And male/female interaction is silly at points but it's also good. For all of the wretchness of a say Egwene/Gawyn you have Min/Rand, which was built up well. Or Rand/Aveidena. Lan/Nynaeve does some of the same as well. Jordan is seriously guilty of having people fall in love and building the relationship from there or just having it happen (See: Thom/Moiraine) but women and men generally act.. reasonable enough. 

Rand and women early on are some of the best things about the book. His relationship with Lanfear is really fun to watch develop. You can see the shifting balance of power there. By the time of their last meeting Rand is literally pushing her around and exploiting her obssession with Lews Therin to keep her off balance.  Some of the dynamics of how badly men and women interact in the WoT world can be traced back to the uneven nature of the Power for most of the series. Some of it is just typical sexist bullshit. Some is what you described, stupid. Jordan also paints most of that mocking and snide comments to be stupid. Look at how Nynaeve changed when Lan finally appeared in CoS. And she was one of the worst about treating men badly.

For that matter, I'm not sure where you get the Ages part from. We only get fragments from the Age of Legends in the main series, less on the 1st age (ours), and nothing on the fourth-seventh ages. He definitely favors the epic scale, but.. 90% of the series is set in the center of Randland, 9% is set in the Waste, and the rest is in other locations. It's very centerally located.

The villain cast never really stood out to me. I recall the focus overwhelmingly being on Rand and company (this isn't innately bad, just my recollection). Most of the villains melt together into a "Rawr, power-hungry" blur by this point. More on this later.

Generic darkfriends of course fail, that's sort of the point. They're fools blinded by money or power or everything else. The actual real meat and potato villians of the series (Seanchan/Forsaken) are more interesting than that.

Haven't read any of the Drizz't stuff and don't have much interest in doing so. I pretty much avoid anything adhering to the standard humans/elves/dwarves breakdown these days. I lack faith in the ability of most people to convincingly write non-humans (it's hard enough for most people to nail believable human psychology). Too easy to slide into one-dimensional tropes or just write them as "people but slightly different." There are exceptions, but not enough of them (if you have good, original examples, let me know. By "original," I mean authors writing in worlds of their own design. I don't have much interest in seeing someone write in a setting they didn't create, unless it was part of some collaborative project to begin with).

Wholly agreed on Dragonlance stuff, and pretty much anything franchised. Bottom rung of the genre without question. Weis & Hickman stuff was fun when I was a kid, but that's about it.

The bottom rung sounds like the Sword of Truth, but that's an aside.  The DnD stuff is by and large standard like you said. The Wheel of Time avoids that trap by having it's own magic system and avoiding clergy in general. That isn't to say that there isn't faith in the universe, just that there's no need for a church or outward trappings of religion in a place where both the God and Devil figure have been proven to exist. It also avoids the hordes of demi humans and other typical DnD races and all the other trappings you would expect with a setting like that.

I think you've pretty much nailed it with that bolded sentence there. I'm not a teenager. Should I approach the series with different standards since I'm apparently not the target audience? That's special pleading and short-circuits the entire discussion (not that that would be entirely a bad thing--I'm typing way too much at work). All I can do is approach it the way I do everything else. I draw a distinction between "style I don't like" and "not actually good writing," and Jordan falls on the far side of that. It really stood out with Path of Daggers, after a couple years of waiting for a new installment in the series (and a couple years of personal growth in college). I'm talking about the actual quality of the prose here, words used, phrasing, etc. His descriptions are painfully repetitive. This isn't a style point to me; it's just being uncreative. It can be used to inject flavor into a setting, but Jordan badly overuses it. At the very least, hearing the same expressions over and over becomes wearisome in a series this long.

I'm not a teenager either. My point is that the basic style of the series has been a pretty simple style that anyone who can read at a high school level can follow. This doesn't make it a bad thing. Jordan does a good job of painting his scenes and his characters, sometimes to the point of annoying his readers. You can sit down and read The Fires of Heaven and enjoy the battle between Rand and Rahvin in the end (like I did), and completely miss on the undertones of the battle- that someone was helping Rahving during the fight, and that someone in all likelyhood killed Asmodean. His basic style is not aimed at english majors, but it works in both hooking in casual readers and providing depth with people who can catch the clues he offers up.  I don't find this to be a bad thing at all. If it's a style that doesn't appeal to some people.. well, their loss. Completely writing it off is howerver silly. It does have depth and while the prose itself is pretty basic, he still paints a deep world and characters.

Also, I must note that depth showing up mostly on rereads is bad news for a 10+ volume series averaging 800 pages or more per installment. It shouldn't be necessary, and when it takes that much time to find "depth" (the definition of which varies by individual, of course, but these are your words) something's badly wrong with the pacing of the series.

I think a lot of it has to do with how easy it is to forget details, especially if you haven't read the books in ages. When I reread the series at the start of... 2007? 6? Somewhere around there? Yeah. I had forgotten so much. Especially with that much material. To use an earlier example: Jordan out and out unmasks a Black Ajah travelling with Nynaeve and Elayne at the start of Path of Daggers. It's not easy to see, but it's there if you're paying close attention. Hence the comment about basic style and the depth's that there.

Which brings us to the really crippling problem with Wheel of Time: the appalling lack of pacing and plot movement in the later installments. Path of Daggers in particular was unforgivable and caused me to drop the series. Whether by design to stretch out the series (stunts like resurrecting the dead Forsaken make me consider this a possibility), or through simply getting lost amidst his own web of subplots, the feeling of making genuine progress died somewhere around book seven or eight. A prologue should not be seventy-five pages long, no matter how complicated the plot.

I'm told things have picked up in the last couple books (Saidin being cleansed, etcetera), but I can't bring myself to care any more. Readers should not have to slog through sixteen hundred pages loaded with the minor intrigues of forgettable secondary characters to get to the important stuff. You can say "It got better after that," and this might be true, but it doesn't matter. A lull like that shouldn't happen in the first place and it totally killed what interest I had left in the series. This is the most important point to get across, because it totally overwhelmed anything he'd done right in my eyes. WoT wore out its welcome and lost me for good.

Book 7 moved more than 6 did I think. 6 didn't do much besides for the founding of the black tower and Dumai's wells. Not really important though.

The pacing problem I agree wholeheartdly on. The later books until Knife of Dreams really dally for too long. I don't agree with the prolouge antihype myself, those are some of the better readings in his novels. They give you a different point of view and oftentimes clues about what's happening with events that aren't directly on camera.  Though one of them (The tower sisters rooting out Black Ajah) really is a hard one to follow if you've forgotten the plot thread. The books do pick up, but it's a lot of reading to go through. I'm not arguing that you had good reasons to drop the series, but some of your complains I do strongly disagree with. No WoT fan is going to really defend how much the series slowed down. Maybe it was an unavoidable side effect of how big the world and novels was.

Commendable, but having an actual embodiment of evil in WoT blunts the edge of this somewhat. Certainly most of the scenes with villains that I recall mostly boil down to their actions being based on unenlightened self-interest and basic greed. How diverse can a villain's motives really be when they're serving the root of all evil? From what I recall, not very. I remember being intrigued by the one who jumped sides in Crown of Swords (Asmodean? Was that the dude), but he gets killed pretty much immediately afterwards. Main characters and supporting villains are better than the Forsaken, yeah, but still not as far into shades of gray as I like to see (Jordan's still better at it than schlubs like Brooks and Eddings, though).

Look at the Forsaken if you want the various motivation. Ishy joins the Forsaken due to a Philsophic view, Lanfear because of love, Asmodean because he wanted to live forever to make music, and so forth. The villians in the series aren't all Darkfriends- far from it. Basic darkfriends are evil and stupid, that's sort of the point. But what about the Seanchan and the whitecloaks? Or some of the Aes Sedai? Or the various High Lords that stand in Rand's way? They walk in the light but do things that hurts the light's chances tow in the final battle, or commit evil acts.

Asmodean lived one book as Rand's teacher. I really hate that he got killed off- Moiraine and Asmodean both leaving at around the same time really hurts Rand's chapters, as does Aveidena and Mat leaving- but having Asmodean would have given him too much information. He had to die for the story's sake, which is too bad. There is evil and shades of grey. Much like in the real world some of the worst people are the ones who believe they walk a just path.

This is cool and gives him bonus points in regards to being a decent human being. It doesn't affect my perception of the books at all, though.

It *does* affect his legacy. His fans are going to fondly remember him years after they forget most of the books and when the series is long finished. That connection he had with his fans is always going to be there and even if people end up souring on his works, they'll say 'but hey, he took the time to respond to my question when he was dying.' The fact that Jordan cared as much as his fans did about the series and cared about the fans is what helped make the connection there so deep. That is part of his legacy and a good reason why I think the writer, if not the series, will stand the test of time.

If anything, there's too much in the way of minor characters. Far too many to keep track of, and not enough work put in to make all of them memorable. I remember reading the prologue to Path of Daggers and just going "Who are these people?" My impression here--and this goes for a lot of things about WoT--is that the kind of detail I want to see has been sacrificed for epic scope.

*Flips through the PoD intro* It has three points of view. One is the Borderland kings. Almost all of them haven't been introduced, which is the point of that chapter. It ties in a part of the world Jordan has spent next to no time in since the beginning of the Great Hunt into the main plot. The second point of view is Verin and her using a form of Compulsion on the captured sisters at Dumai's wells to get them to swear to Rand. The third is the Moirdin/Ishy, the main Forsaken baddie.  I don't see anything to knock here. The prolouges are almost always informative and keep track of the world. or see Gref.
-------------------

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:10 AM »
I don't know how the point got raised exactly, but regardless of the writing or novel quality I don't see how you can discount the huge impact HP's had and is going to have. It's like FF7 in that regard for RPG's.

I don't think that's something I'd like my work to be compared to, as someone who scribbles on bar napkins as a hobby and then tries to string them together in to a coherent narrative. I'm sure my publisher might, but FF7 is the McDonalds of RPGs: easy to find, and bland enough for anyone to stand.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 11:25:48 AM »
Sounds like Harry Potter and its fanfic Ender's Game to me (this is still a joke guys, in case you forget).

Harry Potter is a kids book at the start and ends as a young teenagers book, it is an interesting piece of marketting/overarching writing policy (writing for a certain age group and then writing to the progressive aging of the same audience that you first started with over the time it takes you to write books) that I don't really remember seeing before.  But for an adult taking it into scope of adult fiction?  It really shouldn't have any huge long term effects for serious adult writing.  If it did then it would be like people making absolutely 100% serious films taking elements from Star Wars and using them while trying to make a statement about something.  I can see it lasting as a piece of pop culture to reference and whatnot for non-serious things, but meh for specifically adult literature.

I am sure they are very good kids books.  If a good kids book is what it took to get a grown adult into/back into reading then that is a person that needs to get their priorities sorted out.

Jordan writes fantasy, that is almost always going to be held back by the fact that high fantasy and OMG EPICNESS is pretty much the definition of Teen target audience.  It restricts his writing and even some of the themes that can be written.  It is still fairly quality stuff and isn't targetted at pre/early teens, but 16+ which is an area that you can still get by with some pretty interesting writing (well I guess you could do that with kids books as well if you were discussing some really strange themes, but then they will probably have to be so abstract that it defeats the purpose of beings a childrens book outside of the surrealism).  For everything else there is George Martin I guess.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 02:35:33 PM »

I don't think that's something I'd like my work to be compared to, as someone who scribbles on bar napkins as a hobby and then tries to string them together in to a coherent narrative. I'm sure my publisher might, but FF7 is the McDonalds of RPGs: easy to find, and bland enough for anyone to stand.

Yeah, sort of the point. Regardless of the quality of either Harry Potter or FF7, you can't ignore the impact they had on their respective genres.
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 07:02:44 PM »
I'll leave Cid/super to their own argument, partially because despite some differing opinions I think super is covering it well, and partially because I'd rather not argue with Cid again yet. Imma gonna just respond to Grefter. Warning: sarcasm.

I am sure they are very good kids books.  If a good kids book is what it took to get a grown adult into/back into reading then that is a person that needs to get their priorities sorted out.

I'd say it's more of a sign a lot of writers need to get their priorities sorted out, since in many cases, Harry Potter is more relevant even to adult readers than they are. Harry Potter's ability to attract readers of all ages and keep them turning pages is something a lot of writers could learn from. The ultimate goal of any book, whatever it contains in its pages, whatever its message, is to be read. If I put down a book, whether in disinterest or disgust, it has failed. HP doesn't fail especially often, and if I were a writer I would be incredibly curious to know why.

I also find Star Wars a poor example on your part. I am inclined to say it was one of the most influential overall movies from its decade. I'm not a movie buff; I can't name many movies from the 70's. I sure as hell can name Star Wars, and cite some of its influences on movies and beyond.

Jordan writes fantasy, that is almost always going to be held back by the fact that high fantasy and OMG EPICNESS is pretty much the definition of Teen target audience.  It restricts his writing and even some of the themes that can be written.  It is still fairly quality stuff and isn't targetted at pre/early teens, but 16+ which is an area that you can still get by with some pretty interesting writing (well I guess you could do that with kids books as well if you were discussing some really strange themes, but then they will probably have to be so abstract that it defeats the purpose of beings a childrens book outside of the surrealism).  For everything else there is George Martin I guess.

Pretty much agree, yeah, though I think you underestimate the kind of things even kids' books can pull off. Regardless, all fantasy is more or less written at a teen-and-above audience. There's still plenty for adults to find in it (well the good ones at least), but you'll never see anything that isn't at least accessible to teens, too - that would be suicide from a marketing standpoint since teens make up way too much of the market for fantasy. You mention George Martin, and he falls into this, too - I know it made the rounds with me and my book-reading friends when we were in high school. This isn't a bad thing.

None of us are teens any more, and none of us are at the maturity level of one, either. We all read at least selections of fantasy, so obviously it holds some appeal to us. In my case, I actually find Jordan holds up the best of the fantasy I read as a teen. (At least I think I didn't read Hobb until I was 20. <_<)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
HP doesn't fail especially often, and if I were a writer I would be incredibly curious to know why.

Until the sixth book.

Rowling really had a good thing going, she'd teased us with character relationships, and finally delivered them on a silver platter in Half-Blood Prince... only to have them be shallower than anyone could have ever expected. I understand these are books for kids, but it never really stopped her before from writing what needed to be written, or making the tone dark. I also understand the characters are kids and given to that sort of behavior somewhat. But goddamn did she drop the ball on having any sort of meaningful... hell, having ANYTHING develop from this that wasn't shallow, insipid and facepalm inducing. Hell, the Half-Blood Prince was really a let-down on many respects with the characters. You don't spend an entire 1000+ page book (OotP) building up your secondary characters only to forget them in the very next book. I really think Rowlings cared way too much what the fan reaction would be to whatever pairings, because Half Blood Prince really felt like barely polished fanfiction to me (after the first two chapters, at least. How did that book turn so bad after such a good start?). The series was barely salvaged with Deathly Hallows, which has it's own problems but still manages to be decent, and a good end if you COMPLETELY IGNORE THE EPILOGUE.

I really think you have a problem as a writer if you write an epilogue for a series you haven't finished yet and then just stick it in at the end.

I agree with your points about Rowlings' impact as a writer, but I felt the need to air this.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:20 PM »
Edit - Dammit, I rambled again and can't do that clear concise response thing very well.  But yeah, lets have some fun discussing stuff Elf, I am up for it.

I think we are talking about different kinds of readers getting back into reading.  There are people out there who have got into it because they got caught up in the hype of HP.  Nothing else at all, just "This thing is popular so I will give it a try.  HOLY CRAP THERE IS BOOKS MAN!".  These are the people that never picked up a book for recreation in there life and just associated it with a boring bad thing you had to do in high school.  The content of most books is meaningless to an audience that is repelant to the very idea of literature.  The same thing can happen with the people that stopped reading at some point.  They got so carried away with other things that they couldn't even keep up like a book a year.  Then there was hype, so they pick up Potter and they remember that reading is the shit and -bam- it must have been the book, not because reading is just actually a really fun past time.

Star Wars was carefully picked because it is something close to home that I find really goddamned awesome and has fairly obviously had an amazing impact on my life.  On the other hand, whenever I have considered putting down Jedi as my religion on a census it isn't because I find the Jedi philosophy to be an overarching well thought out guide to living that I can deeply get behind and follow for the rest of my life.  No it would be a joke.  I can get into a nerd rage over prequel trilogy, but that is just being a nerd, not something deep and meaningful (Nerd rage by some law of nature is going to be over something shallow, minor and completely not worth caring about >_>).  All kinds of people know and love Star Wars, it effects them in different ways and yeah it could spark something that leads someone onto making movies in a certain way and whatnot.  If you make a movie (or even a TV series) where Star Wars is front and center you get a Kevin Smith movie or a series like Venture Brothers.  You don't get No Country For Old Men or even like I dunno Firefly which has every right to make references to it (what with it being funny and serious at the same time).

I love all of those things.  No Country is a great piece of cinema.  Kevin Smith and stuff are awesomely fun movies, but aren't great cinema (Although I dunno.  Maybe Clerks taken alone IS a really good cross section of nerds and their culture presented fairly realistically if compressed).

Point on Martin, I have only read the first book and while its language is certainly readable at High School (especially by smarter kids) I would not hold its themes up as something targetted specifically towards teens, though they are also themes they can handle (Especially the more emotionally developed kids).  I know when I was in high school for every Hobb/Jordan book I read there was like 3 filler Dragonlance type things smacked in there.

On that note, Hobb does hold up for a Teen >_> THE BOOK IS ABOUT PSYCHIC ASSASSINS!!!!!

To be honest I would really like to see a piece of Fantasy that I could consider really good strong actual literature instead of just a pulpy book.  The authors we have discussed are all great fun (they are in Firefly kind of area mostly, fun with moments of (approaching) greatness) and stuff I am proud to read, but none of it is such a string of triumphs dealing with such complex themes in such a readable fashion that I would hold them up as great literature.  I am not sure how you would go about cleaning it up.  Perhaps something in the manner of those movies that do the bleak realistic take on Fairy Tales?  Not sure, that seems a bit gimmicky really and I wouldn't trust people not to just FATAL it (SNOW WHITE IS AN ALLEGORY FOR GANG RAPE@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@).

But this is just me doing my ludicrously high standards pointless elitist artfag thing.

Kids books, eh I know they can do some cool stuff.  I remember a sci-fi book I read that dealt with a ship sent into orbit the solar system a bit beyond Pluto at faster than light speeds.  Stuff went wrong and only a young girl survived and it dealth with how she handled things all the while uncovering things that point to her own death (the universe works in a time loop and she goes backwards in time by going forwards I think it was, that or it was something to do with the speed of light and continuos acceleration.  It of course was not the greatest science, but such is life).  So it deals with time dilation of approaching light speed (!), themes of fate and fighting against it, a stable time loop (it is very careful about maintaining it) and a few other pretty out there themes for a kids book.  I wish I could remember what it was called since it clearly was a fairly effective book, but I don't recall it having anything about it that stood out as a must read or any awards.  So I know it is doable and all that, just you know it almost never is.  Unfortunately has to go with the territory, Kids can handle all kinds of things that adults forget they can, so children's works tend to be talking down to the kids a bit and there is a big variation in the level of mature concepts that different kids can deal with as they grow.  There is and expected level of development of course, but levels of development (especially before like 15 even!) are pretty compressed and the overlap in target markets is amazing.  So as always, they are targeted at lowest common denominator.

This is where my praise for HP has to really be emphasized, it doesn't do the LCD shit.  Now I will reiterate again, the books do not interest me in actually reading them.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
I wouldn't say this about MOST Kevin Smith movies, but I think Clerks is a really well-done piece of cinema. It's just a movie about the drudgery of working a shit job, and the things you do just to get through one hate-filled day. I do that EVERY day so I identify with it very well.

It's a theme that resonates quite well with me, more in Fight Club than anything else, now that I think of it. Which, by the way, if none of you jackasses have read that, go do it. It's apparently set in my hometown, as I learned a decade after reading it for the first time.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 06:07:51 AM »
I kind of take them as a whole now though because of the huge overlap there is between them all after Clerks.  Standalone though, yeah the more I think about it the better Clerks stands up.