Author Topic: Suicide Squad Mafia, Game Over: Number the Dead  (Read 77143 times)

Ashdla

• Nyah~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
Re: Suicide Squad Mafia, Day One: The Foot Is Agame!
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2008, 07:03:21 PM »
Ashdla: Needs to talk more.

It's a wonder what sleep will do to a person. :P
Catching up at the moment, will post something more substantial once I have done so~
~There is always some madness in love, but there is always some reason in madness~

Ashdla

• Nyah~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »
Oki dokie, so basically, this is what I'm gathering.

Rat- The initial hype he generated has passed over by now. If he really can't vote, I highly doubt he doesn't have some sort of power to compensate for it, or some sort of strategy in mind. Either way, I agree that saying so right off was a smart plan for him.

OK- For me, it wasn't just the slip up in the joke phase (to be honest, I didn't really catch it until it was pointed out), but more so, the voting seemingly at random, and failing to defend himself against the accusations made toward him. He seems to like accusing those who question his actions, rather than explaining himself, which puts me off a bit.

Evil Tom- To be honest, I really have no idea what he is trying to accomplish with painting the target on himself. Unless he's trying to distract attention away from someone else, or getting himself lynched triggers something super awesome for him. I'm not overly familiar with what roles can occur in Mafia, so it's a bit more difficult for me to pin people based on that. If lynching him does do nothing but lose us a town vote, then we'd be no worse off than a typical Day 1 lynch, right? There is that bomb idea that was brought up, again, I'm unfamiliar with how exactly that might work, so I'm not sure if it should be a huge concern or not.

Deltaflyer2k8- Seriously honey, talk more, and more importantly about relevant things, not your school life. Saying you have no opinion and you are just following others is... a bit sketchy if you ask me. I know you're new to the game, but I'm also playing this for the first time, so I really don't find that as an overly viable excuse in my book. In closing, opinions please!

As for my position in general right now, I'm wavering as to whether or not to switch my vote from OK to someone else. However, I'd like to hear some explanation from OK about his actions before I do so.
~There is always some madness in love, but there is always some reason in madness~

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
Deltaflyer, I need to agree with everyone else here.  It's not how intelligent you are that's on trial, it's how much you're participating, and how you write your posts.  They lack in structure, having no proper paragraphs, and structure is how one reads more than the actual letters in the word itself.  Moreover, just going along with the flow and never venturing an opinion of your own is a good way to get attention that you would rather not have placed upon yourself.

Now, on to matters at hand.  I am both disappointed in the lack of an OK post, as well as I am also interested in why there's still discussion on Rat.  As has already been mentioned, his usage of FOS to replicate votes shows an admirable attempt to overcome his handicap.  I'd ask him to issue an un-FoS if he feels he needs to "unvote" so that we can better create a voting pattern for him.  But other than that, I am fine with leaving him be and letting his words dictate his alignment.

Moving on to Evil Tom, honestly man?  The more I read, the more inclined I am to follow Corwin's advice and gank you.  Your text is too flowery to convey meaning effectively, your botched reveal is doing little more than creating a spotlight which makes it hard to focus on anything other than what you're up to, and you gave us the message that if we mislynch you, then we simply have a confirmed townie in play that can still talk.  That's a pretty good deal all told.

So, I still want to hear OK talk, but you're looking like a really tempting target to vote for.

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
I like to say big things when I have reasonable belief or when another player cannot sustain plausble deniablity. Therefore i have no paragraphs for i have nothing much to write apart from the fact that this is a game, not a literacy lesson so get over it and have fun. Im not enjoying myself much simply from the critism from you people, no-one cares from the other mafia i play and that is immensely enjoyable.

Also, when i commented on school, i was stating that i havent got long to do stuff because along with that i have other more important priorities than being critisied by people who have never seen my stories etc. You cant judge a book by its cover. So why are you judging me?

Also, I voted for ET because:

A) He voted for me so i changed my vote to ensure that i am safe from lynching because i dont want to go out on my first round of mafia here.

B) Because quite simply, anyone who does comment on my literacy should be shot unless they back it up with good quotes to show me that I am in the wrong.

Ok? There you go, that is why i voted for him. Goodbye.
Do I really look like I have a clue?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2008, 09:39:02 PM »
Ho'kay. Generally speaking, there are obviously a few points that stand out to me here.

First and foremost, of course, is OK's peculiar slip of the tongue. While it isn't definite proof of anything, those sorts of slips often tend to be indicative of something in what a person was thinking. Of course, at the same time, we've seen it as an honest mistake before. I'd personally say, if nothing else, its enough to use as day one evidence, and it certainly is something I won't be soon forgetting.

Tom... well. Speaking from experience, if you have a powerful role, trying to play it out cleverly does not work. Yes, it can draw scum attacks. It also hugely biases town against you and relies on you being trusted in a game where you can't really trust anything until you have proof. Furthermore, it preps scum for dealing with your powers if they happen to have anything capable of doing it. Essentially, you've just spilled your hand before any bets were down. Worse yet, that sort of bluff actually plays out better against town. Scum has control over you in theory, town does not.

See the problem?

Delta... is an absolute wild card. I've got nothing on him as far as town/scum reads go. I will say, that, from what I can gather, he's not going to be happy playing Mafia with us and (no offense man) he's not going to be much use to us. The apparent hostility of his posts certainly isn't helping

Rat... not really much you can do with it right now. You'll go round and round trying to sort it out. What I will say is that it bothers me substantially that Tom continues to hype his own role and then fail to acknowledge that (unless I've missed a post where he explicitly says otherwise) Carth himself could have a worthwhile power role to compensate his lack of vote.

As it stands, though... I'm not comfortable with a Tom lynch on day one. Whether its debatable play or bluffing, this is like sticking it to a claimed Doc/Cop on day one. Although, on the other hand, of course, he has stated that town trying to lynch him is a waste of time, so perhaps putting that claim to the test isn't so bad.

##Unvote: Laggy

Obviously this vote no longer has a place.

I... blargh. Deltaflyer, could you do me a favor and explain how you play Mafia where you are from? Your posts are incredibly off-putting and of minimal use. As it is... I'm really inclined to lynch you because it seems like you're not going to develop particular leanings towards either alignment and that the general nature of your posts isn't going to be constructive. Thus, I need you to prove to me that you're going to be useful this game and that you really do have something to contribute. If not, its hard not to see you as scum or, at best, a useless townie.

##Vote: Delta

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »
I'm ignoring all these accusations against me because they're foundless and have no point in the case against me.  Simple enough.  I agree with Delta on this general theory.

Otherwise, I'm NOT up for lynching Tom.  He is doing stupid things at the moment and floundering, which is going to be a detriment to our later plan.  I also know Tom is lying about his role and special ability, so don't vote him.  Can't say much more.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2008, 11:17:24 PM »
##Unvote: Ashdla

##Vote: Laggy

Don't attack Evil Tom.  You're doing something really stupid by changing your vote from me to him.  Don't give in.

Bardiche

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2008, 11:30:14 PM »
Sorry Oblivion, I have to do this.

He is doing stupid things at the moment and floundering, which is going to be a detriment to our later plan.

Uh, "our"? Mind expanding who you mean by "our"? Do you mean Town (who don't yet have a concrete plan), Scum (who may well have a concrete plan) or imply that you are Masoned with Tom?

I also know Tom is lying about his role and special ability, so don't vote him.  Can't say much more.

Quoting this, but not sure what to say of it. Just... Urgh. That's what the quotation makes me think.

Urgh.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »
Ok, Andrew's finally speaking, so...

##Unvote: AndrewRogue

No purpose keeping a vote like this anymore.

Next off, regarding my Rat "obsession" and all that? That's just me being myself, focusing on small details more heavily than necessary, and knowing I'm not getting much out of it.  Basically, one of those "I have something to say, I'm going to say it, even if its meaningless!" things.  Just how I am, I wish I wasn't like that ;_;

As I said before, much as Eviltom's play bothers me...

Otherwise, I'm NOT up for lynching Tom.  He is doing stupid things at the moment and floundering, which is going to be a detriment to our later plan.  I also know Tom is lying about his role and special ability, so don't vote him.  Can't say much more.

I agree with this line of thought...HOWEVER, the wording is really damned bad...and suddenly sticks out to me.  Basically, I think Lynching Tom is a bad idea cause I think he's up to something with his little "Don't Lynch me cause its useless" thing.  Either he's a scum trying to invoke fear and get eyes off him, OR he's a dangerous Town role that wants to avoid getting lynched to hurt the town, or...yeah, either way, I think lynching him is a bad at this very moment. 

But back to OK...let me break down each section; I'm aware I just C+Ped it, but I feel I need to do this.

Otherwise, I'm NOT up for lynching Tom.  He is doing stupid things at the moment and floundering, which is going to be a detriment to our later plan.

The bolded part is important, the Italics are what stood out to me.  He uses "our" plan.  Just...what is this plan?  I'm really not sure why he'd word things like this.  It seems...I dunno.  I'd call it a slip at first, but based on the overall train of thought, why would he even THINK in terms of "our."?

I also know Tom is lying about his role and special ability, so don't vote him

You say this with such confidence.  How do you know such a thing? If you're just trying to avoid getting Tom Lynched...why the hell would you say it like that?  Do you know something about him that we don't?  I know you could call me role fishing this early, but you worded it in such a way that BEGS to be called out on it. 

Now, considering this and his unwillingness to move from the joke phase, and how his posts are not filled with much content, DESPITE being called out on them...and how he basically says "I'm ignoring all accusations cause they have no basis on me!"

Dude, its Day 1.  There's not much to work with.  the least you can do is speak up a bit.  And with your earlier slip combined with your latest post saying very little but some really oddly worded lines...

...you know what? Screw it.  I've said my part.

##Vote: OblivionKnight

Something's just not right with him at all.

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2008, 11:58:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that OK has some kind of weird joke role that is causing this, at this point. Seems like a safe enough bet.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2008, 12:06:14 AM »
You know, I just have to shake my head.  

Delta's apathetic about being in the game to the point of being antagonistic.  You have no more information than the rest of us (unless you're scum) and we're managing to speak up and provide content and comments just fine despite that.  We don't have anything to talk about if no one discusses.  The only ones who have enough info to sit back and watch the chaos are the scum.  Unless you comment on people, we have nothing from you and that just reeks of scum lurking.  So, talk about some other people, not just the person you have a vote on so we can get a better feel for you.  You're someone new, so we'd all like to get to know how you think and how you play so we can judge how you're acting with something that approaches a little closer to logic than throwing darts in the dark which is all we have to go on at the moment.  And I second the request for how you play Mafia elsewhere.  I too play places other than here so I know it's vastly different.  Knowing how a game is played somewhere else that you play can give us at least something to go on for how you think.

OK's playing the game like it's American Idol where the person with most votes wins.  I agree with Ciato that if it's not required by his role then OK's gone round the bend and we all need to chip in for his nice white suit and the funny men to come take him away ha-ha he-he ho-ho. (sorry, was listening to Demento earlier today)  I'm going to assume role-madness, but it's still very distracting from the game and makes me want to remove the distraction which...could be good or bad depending on the madness.

Tom's being...Tom which as usual is blowing up in everyone's face.  

All in all this feels remarkably like...every other Day 1.  Nothing good can come of it but the joy of knowing that eventually we'll get to Day 2 and can start putting these puzzle pieces together.  Geez.

My vote stays.  Of the three above who are all acting strangely, Tom still has my vote.  OK comes in a close second, though.  
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »
...okay, I have utterly no idea how to respond to the OK debacle.

My first impression was that he had some sort of crazy role that forced him to say the exact opposite of everything he actually meant. Upon further rereading though, this doesn't appear to be the (obvious) case and I am at a loss as to how to interpret him.

Furthermore, I'm still not seeing the great danger in moving off the Tom train at this point. Like Rat, people are speculating far too wildly as to what he may or may not have; the bottom line is that he's already, in effect, stated that the worst lynching him will do is remove him of his ability to vote, and as I have stated before (as has Corwin and others), this is balanced out by having, in effect, a confirmed and nightkill-immune townie. This is all assuming he's telling the truth; if he's lying and scum, well, we'll have nabbed scum day 1, and if he's lying as a townie, theeeen that is not even worth considering in my eyes. It's certainly possible he could be third party or some other weird role, but this doesn't dampen the case on him; if anything, it increases it.

As far as day 1 cases go, this feels far more preferable than, say, going after Rat (explained many times by now, his stance is reasonable) or OK (complete wild card I have no idea how to see - can be argued on this though.) Delta's attitude seriously rubs me the wrong way as very anti-town and anti-productive and would probably be my second lynch choice at this point, but it still does not feel as strong as Tom's case.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Bardiche

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure that OK has some kind of weird joke role that is causing this, at this point. Seems like a safe enough bet.

Uh, you say "pretty sure" and "safe enough bet". I... I don't see it. Mind saying what makes you feel pretty sure about it and why it is a safe enough bet to excuse OK's behaviour by a supposed role he may or may not have?

So, okay, we have OK who, in jokevote phase, said something about "one of us scum", now talks of vague "our plan"... Need more info from OK. More explanations. For now...

I'd like to hear a little of Ashdla. Particularly...

Deltaflyer2k8- Seriously honey, talk more, and more importantly about relevant things, not your school life. Saying you have no opinion and you are just following others is... a bit sketchy if you ask me. I know you're new to the game, but I'm also playing this for the first time, so I really don't find that as an overly viable excuse in my book. In closing, opinions please!

You called Delta out for pretty much the same thing you've been doing, to me. Barring that post I quoted this bit from where you actually give input. But the rest... Yeah, big blank for me just what you are supposed to have said because they were all in jokevote phase, barring the train on who was it? Tom or OK.

I'd like your opinions on EvilTom and OblivionKnight.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2008, 12:24:16 AM »
Um, because the way he says things are ... not logical for anyone?

QR might be onto something. There is a role called politician that you have to garner the most votes without getting lynched. I'm not really sure, but as is the behavior is not registering to me as logical Mafia play.

Bardiche

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »
Hm, the politician I know of "controls" another's vote. Mind clarifying what role you are thinking of, what it gains from getting the most votes etcetera?

And yeah, it's not logical Mafia play. I'm almost tempted to WIFOM and question whether or not that was the gamble: Whether we'd pounce on it or find it too suspicious to be really suspicious.

We need a votecount, too.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »
The voices tell me to do it. 

Each day I hear them. 

They tell me things, but the closer I am to death, the clearer they become.

VOICES. 

VOICES.

Mommy...

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »
*looks at the knight*
*eyes cid warily* 
*sighs deeply*
Whatever you're smoking, it's prolly not legal, Cid.

------------------------------------

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that he's intentionally trying to get votes.  Now, whether or not this is good for town is completely up in the air.  I find myself...reluctant to run with this theory.  For all we know, it's some third party where he wins if he gets the most votes by the end of the game or something.  Personally, I find it distracting but unless there's a concensus to vote all the way to lynch, I'd rather not contribute to some ticking time bomb of unknown origin. 

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »
If you kill Tom, what he says will come to pass.

Bardiche

« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »
So vouching for Tom, while acting in a way that makes us want to lynch you. You cite "voices" in your defense, although it can be seen as a joke.

Since this are serious Mafia and we take everything serious, perhaps he really is required to do something. However, there was no Night 0, so I see no possibility of someone controlling OK unless it was supposed to be submitted alongside confirmation of the role PM.

No point in conjecture in that direction because it's pretty illogical as is and reaching for straws. I wish OK would act a bit more pro-town, at the moment I'm just thinking he's scum trying to confuse us alongside EvilTom.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
I apologize for my earlier conduct.  I finally started taking my pills.  The half-life isn't very good, high, though, only about 4 hours.  I might have to try the Clozaril later...let me rest and recover myself.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »
In that case, OK, Tom would be a confirmed townie if we lynched him.  Seriously, this can be bad how?  I mean, let's all be honest here folks.  What exactly is our track record for managing to actually GET scum on Day 1?  Horrible.  I can count the number of times on a single hand that we've managed it and prolly have fingers to spare.  If we're more likely to get a townie anyway, let's get one that can't die from it and can be confirmed as a townie!  He may lose his ability to vote, but frankly there are ways around that for a confirmed townie to help out the town without that.  Just to have a voice of a single person that we could trust would be nice.

If, like I usually suspect when it comes to Tom's Day 1 claims, he's lying while town, then frankly we're well rid of the whole situation and can then resume actually trying to get the scum.  Don't lie when town.

If he's scum, then hey!  FABulous and wonderful we got one!

Now, this assume that we lynch him, he survives and we get some confirmation that he's actually town,.  Just surviving the lynch wouldn't really cement 'town' in my eyes.  It would be nice if the day ending flavour text would confirm that in some way.  If not, we would have, indeed, just wasted a kill because we'd still have Tom and no way to be sure he was really town.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
I find that trying to weave through intentions of various posters and trying to decide if they are scum gambits based off of posting style being awkward is futile on Day 1.

I'm not exactly sure what the heck Tom was thinking, though. I need to go back and read the posts.

Ashdla

• Nyah~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
I'd like your opinions on EvilTom and OblivionKnight.

Oki then.

EvilTom- As I said previously, the seemingly random outburst from him about 'I cannot die' was sort of uncalled for that early in the game. Being unfamiliar with potential mafia roles, as I said, I'm not personally 100% sure what might prompt someone to feel safe doing that. Of course, it could always just have been a bad game move on his part. However, I don't think calling him out on his potential bluff is necessary just yet, though he is still high on my list of suspiciously acting players. That said, my vote still stays on OK, for the following reasons.

OK- From what I've seen, he has been acting odd since the beginning. Though the slip of 'us scum' at the beginning might have been discounted for being in the joke phase, the recent 'our plan' casts the same sort of doubt. However, the most recent post by him is the most curious of all yet, I think. He could be confirming that another player dictates his actions, if that is the case, the question then obviously becomes, who? Honestly, my immediate guess would be Rat, this could very easily be the power role to compensate for his lack of vote. At the same time, he spoke against EvilTom initially, where now OK is telling us not to vote for him. That could have easily just been a stunt to throw us off, or not. If it -is- the case, then removing OK from the game would eliminate that player's essentially 'two vote' power. If it's Rat (who I'm presuming is the only person with no vote power), then we take away his only real influence in the game.

Delta is now drawing some worry from me also. If he's scum, he's doing a bad job of hiding it. If he's town, his attitude is hurting more than anything.

Also, any other thoughts about who could be controlling OK, if that's the case?

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2008, 12:57:41 AM »
I find that trying to weave through intentions of various posters and trying to decide if they are scum gambits based off of posting style being awkward is futile on Day 1.

I'm not exactly sure what the heck Tom was thinking, though. I need to go back and read the posts.

Ciato: while I agree with the spirit of that sentiment (which is why I moved away from Rat after he clarified his position), Tom's presented not so much a WIFOM-ey "maybe this, maybe that" situation but one, by his own words, come out in the outcomes that I have stated many times and QR has just reiterated once again. In this case, this is not a gambit at all but a test of his word, and the potential insight coming out of that is better than a heck of a lot of average day 1 cases.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »
I really do not support Tom's lynch.  His points strike me as bait-y.  Calling out that he wants scum to target him and not to lynch him because it won't accomplish anything...that strikes me as basically pulling a target on himself for some purpose.  I honestly think he's trying to pull people to go through this logic to vote on him.  He could have a special power, yes...but why the hell will scum target him tonight, or ever, if that's the case?  If he's scum, they won't kill him - why would we kill our own?  If he's town, they aren't going to kill him for fear of this power.  If we do lynch him and lose this power, it hurts us.  If we do lynch him and he's scum, ok, great job.  He says he can't fully claim a power role, but I'd like more info on that - however, that would mean we should push him up further on the vote accumulation train.  We're pretty shitty at pulling scum day 1, as has been said.  Honestly, he doesn't strike me as giving off scum vibes - Cid said this would be a role heavy game, but not role madness.  We can't expect a super strong role here - should we risk losing a townie just so he can make a post a day once dead, or something minorish?  Unless he gets insight into scum motives...but if Carth's right about being unable to vote, that kicks us closer to DR. DOOM.