Author Topic: Mafia Mod Signups  (Read 89140 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Mod Signups
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:49 AM »
Incompetent Mafia

Theme is that the Mafia has grown so large in the town that it is now a highly inefficient organization.  There will be a much higher percentage of Scum:Town than normal, but all of the Scum will have some kind of penalty attached.  There will be roles, but not role heavy.

Thinking 14 players, no hurry on start date.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:29 AM »
Incompetent Mafia
Isn't that what we normally do? :D
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:29 AM »
Yeah, I was about to say...

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2008, 12:07:56 PM »
I refuse to comment on where I got the idea.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2008, 03:22:54 AM »
There's a couple of games on the list here already, but I'd like to see another AnonyMafia. So volunteering to run one.

Anonymous Mafia
Players: 15-ish
Roleplaying: yes, probably
theme: Sci-fi/fantasy (choose from list of characters?)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2008, 03:28:11 AM »
Was actually considering doing another anonymafia if I don't get enough signups for the SS game. This doesn't preclude you doing another in the future, of course. Anyway, I now go to make the SS signup thread.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »
Since people are putting mod order up again, I'm putting this out now.

Arkham Horror (aka Cthulu Mythos) Mafia. Large game. Bastard modding and tons of insanity. Because really.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2008, 07:44:20 AM »
And I'll throw mine back into the ring.  Poke-mafia.  I had this one built quite awhile ago.  I'll wait until the above are run, though.

I originally planned for 20 and I'll still make that my hope-filled target, but can be run with 12.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:00:13 AM by QuietRain »
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2008, 01:12:03 AM »
A resurgence in activity. I see! I myself won't be able to play/mod until July at the earliest, but throwing my plan into the list...

Failure mafia, ~15 people. Everyone in this game is mildly (possibly severely) incompetent, not just town !!
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Bardiche

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
That claim of mine after OK and El Cid's? Yeah, mia and I were talking and are PASSIONATE-DESU~ about a Geass Mafia game. Looking for around 14 12 15 people. (i officially can't count people)

It's totally done (not role heavy) so we'll run it after El Cid finishes and OK finishes, unless OK is like, "Sure! Go right ahead!"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:50:24 AM by canon »

Charles di Britannia

• The 98th Emperor of Britannia
  • Denizen
  • ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2008, 01:39:49 AM »
That claim of mine after OK and El Cid's? Yeah, mia and I were talking and are PASSIONATE-DESU~ about a Geass Mafia game. Looking for around 14 12 people.

It's totally done (not role heavy) so we'll run it after El Cid finishes and OK finishes, unless OK is like, "Sure! Go right ahead!"

EARL MALDINI.

Do you dare imply that the 98th Emperor of the Holy Empire of Britannia is subject to queue lines?

[ps; this is our awesome buddy-buddy account for DUAL MODDING action]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:44:05 AM by Charles di Britannia »
People... are not equal...

Bardiche

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2008, 01:41:48 AM »

EARL MALDINI.

Do you dare imply that the 98th Emperor of the Holy Empire of Britannia is subject to queue lines?

N-n-n-n-no... Of course not! It was a jest, a jest... I'd never dare imply Your Highness would be bound by silly rules like queue lines. Please forgive my insolence.

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
I might have a go, a large game: 17 or 19 players?

I'm not sure. If I do open a game you will see it on the topics list anyways. :)
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:06 PM »
im going to volunteer a mafia.

Corrupt war mafia.

17 or 19 players as i said, not role heavy. Will put the mafia concept into a war zone. Maybe in the future? Will write up the pre-game story and have it ready for whenever my game starts.

Smodge13

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »
Damn it now i'm thinking of running a game.
Only thinking at the moment.
I got an idea for a semi-chaotic game similar to Captain K's style.
Naturally will try to make it balanced as possible.
Anyone want to volunteer to be the person i bounce the idea off? (naturally you wouldn't be able to play if  decided to run it)

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2008, 12:57:45 PM »
Sure.

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 04:30:39 PM »
Nice to see my corrupt war mafia going well. Its not gonna happen is it :(

Never mind, I have been told that I am going on holiday on the 24th October so its okay.

Bardiche

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
Short reply? Probably not.
Long reply? See inbox in a few.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2008, 04:58:21 AM »
Mm.  Mafia is unusual in that there's usually more people willing to run a game than play in one...

Anyway, for what it's worth, if anyone's up for some high culture, I'd be interested in running a French Revolution mafia game.  Guillotines go very well with mafia, and you know fun things will happen when Marie Antoinette, Napoleon, Robespierre, and Benjamin Franklin are stuck in the same room together.  Considering the wide variety of factions in the actual history, there's room for a lot of potential weirdness in the roles, but since attendance seems to be slim, most of that probably won't be available in a smaller game (13-15?).  Obviously something in the realm of 17-21 would be better for allowing some craziness; I'm a firm believer that at bare minimum half the game population should be vanilla or near-vanilla townspeople to ensure that the roles don't overpower everything.

Probably won't happen for awhile since there seems to be a surplus, but just putting this one on the queue as food for thought.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »
Snowfire: French revolution mafia would be awesome.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
...Is this topic still used? If not, why not?

Anyways, I'm-a looking to run a game, yesss...
Quite generic with the theme - RPG (or, more specifically, FF) classes. However, very role-heavy, in that no person would be without a role. Roles based around the classes (so no revealing classes at game-start) and would aim for some pretty original role ideas.
No idea if there's a queue for running games any more so... I'll just see how people respond here, I guess, if at all. =P

Note: Assuming there were enough people, this would probably still be run after the other mafia games that are already open for people to join. I'd just like to know if there's some interest in it...
Either way, I still think either this topic should be revived or a similar one should be created. >.>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 11:21:33 PM by Yoshiken »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2009, 12:50:41 AM »
This topic is mostly a relic from back when there was a lot more overall interest in Mafia and we needed to get things organized.  Nowadays with only enough interest to run one game at a time, it's really not needed anymore.

That said, if you really want to do a role heavy game, I suggest getting someone that's familiar with Mafia but doesn't want to play to double check your ideas.  Role heavy stuff has to be carefully balanced or it isn't going to work out well, see Touhou mafia or the VtM game for examples.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2009, 04:05:55 AM »
I'm still interested in running French Revolution mafia (which would likely not be too role crazy, as in ~50% of the populace will be vanilla).  I was waiting for Pokemon mafia to either run or be cancelled, though.

Yoshiken: How much mafia experience do you have?  I think everybody when introduced to mafia has their own crazy go nuts roles game they'd like to run (including me!), but as Yakumo notes those are very, very, very easy to get unbalanced.  Even if balanced, lots of roles can make mafia even swingier than it already is.  Plus, lots of potential crazy roles are, frankly, unfun and mess up the ability of the players to recognize correct strategies.  Or, to put it another way, a chess game where the knights and rooks have different powers is cool.  A chess game where you don't get told that your pieces explode when you capture with them and you're actually supposed to checkmate your opponent's bishop rather than their king and there are 6 colors on the board which are each attuned to a specific piece and changes their moves in a way that isn't told until you move onto it?  That's starting to not be chess anymore.

That said role-madness games are obviously potentially awesome, just that they tend to be fraught with landmines and people shrugging at the end saying "Well, that was random, I didn't feel like I had much control over what happened."  I just looked back in the archives at the games Yakumo mentioned, and yikes!  The Vampire game apparently had 3 vigilantes for the scum to deal with backed by other town roles.  (2nd edit: Apologies of course if you knew this already.  Also, found a good quote from LadyDoor on the risks of role madness games while trolling the archives: "It [the game] was almost entirely dependent on what happened during the night. And I was vanilla. I played no part in 90% of the game. What's worse, I didn't even know that enough to prevent myself from spending hours constructing posts that ultimately contributed ... I'm not even sure what it contributed."  From Incompetent Mafia, which actually looks like an awesome idea...  but could have used two more vanilla townies in the game.)

Actually, speaking of that, the French Revolution is probably the wrong setting for it, but I too have a "semi-role-madness for people who distrust role madness" game sitting around for tinkering (possibly Cthulu themed?  Not sure.).  Beats me what people's preferences are, but putting that out there in case preferences around here ran towards that.

--

Also.  Random comment, since this seems to be the closest to a general "mafia philosophy thread..."  just want to say I'm shocked at the number of games where character claiming was optional.  I've never ever seen that done before - obviously at party games, everyone just played themselves, and at the other Internet forum I played Mafia on, everyone's character in themed games was cleanly listed at the beginning.  With lots of in-character bickering going on; sometimes even too much so (draw a villain, enjoy the likelihood of an early "why not" lynch if nothing else obvious presents itself).  And obviously the actual Mafia roles being quite separate from the character roles, so that they wouldn't actually be useful as hints.  Having who's playing who just...  breaks the scene in my head, and I for one would strongly prefer games of the Mai-Hime type where everyone is cleanly a character from early on, and people write in at least short little side in-character bits.  Makes for a better "insane story of people in setting X killing each other" rather than "the gang of forum posters killing...  well, they're not entirely sure who, in character."  (I've mostly been do-as-the-Romans-do in Simpsons Mafia - nobody else seems to have gotten into their character, and getting into my character would involve obscuring my writing and acting like a (bigger?) idiot, which would be a fantastically bad idea when no one else is.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:37:14 AM by SnowFire »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2009, 06:52:21 AM »
Well, we had a few games where some people tended to get in character, and while there were a few awesome moments stemming from all this, it typically ended up getting dropped by the end of Day 1.  Well, either that, or annoying people by generally making it harder to understand the arguments being put forward.

That, and if you don't know the character in question, then either you can't play or understand what's going on, or everyone else needs to write twice as much to keep those out of the loop, in it.  And, we're at a point where we don't really need to chase more people from the game.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2009, 07:04:32 AM »
Also.  Random comment, since this seems to be the closest to a general "mafia philosophy thread..."  just want to say I'm shocked at the number of games where character claiming was optional.  I've never ever seen that done before - obviously at party games, everyone just played themselves, and at the other Internet forum I played Mafia on, everyone's character in themed games was cleanly listed at the beginning.  With lots of in-character bickering going on; sometimes even too much so (draw a villain, enjoy the likelihood of an early "why not" lynch if nothing else obvious presents itself).  And obviously the actual Mafia roles being quite separate from the character roles, so that they wouldn't actually be useful as hints.  Having who's playing who just...  breaks the scene in my head, and I for one would strongly prefer games of the Mai-Hime type where everyone is cleanly a character from early on, and people write in at least short little side in-character bits.  Makes for a better "insane story of people in setting X killing each other" rather than "the gang of forum posters killing...  well, they're not entirely sure who, in character."  (I've mostly been do-as-the-Romans-do in Simpsons Mafia - nobody else seems to have gotten into their character, and getting into my character would involve obscuring my writing and acting like a (bigger?) idiot, which would be a fantastically bad idea when no one else is.)

I think you've accidentally described the evolution of DL mafia, at least in part. I know a number of older mafia games had power roles pretty clearly inspired by the flavor. People start to find it too obvious, we shift away from it. As fun as it is to think up what role would suit what character, I think totally randomizing the alignment/roles is the best way to go. That way, people can't make inferences based on flavor, folks with villainous characters needn't get autolynched just for being said character, people can put up avatars to announce their character right from the start, etc.

You're right in that we tend not to bring RP into things at all, outside of early jokevote madness. The exception is...well, I guess this is where I hype anonymafia. I had a lot of fun playing those games. Writing as someone else seems to mean that I play as someone else.