Author Topic: NBA 2007-2008  (Read 21025 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: NBA 2007-2008
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 03:43:43 AM »
Chicago should have been decent THIS year too. I don't think a player is going to solve their problems unless he's a 20-year-old clone of Michael Jordan. One that's seven feet tall. It's the front office that I see the problem with.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
How the hell is gasol the mvp? That team aint shit without kobe. I wanted the Phoenix Suns to win it all, but they got bounced out of the first round. Steve Nash deserves a championship. The Suns have had the best team for years, they just can't play defense. I hope the Celtics win it all, Ray Allen is the man.

I've been over this.

Post Shaq, Kobe didn't win a playoff series.  PERIOD.  This year they were looking to be a 6-7 seed as well, until POOF, Gasol!

In fairness, NEITHER is the MVP.  They both need each other to win.  Kobe needs a 20/10 7 footer at his side as he's shown for half a decade now.  Gasol needs something other than Memphis as he's shown for half a decade now.

Yes, the team would get worse without Kobe, but I think I could find plenty of other teams who would hate losing their *star* player more than the Lakers.  Until Kobe wins a Finals and IS the MVP, he gets zero hype from me as even being in the same league as any of the great guards.  Kobe got 3 titles because in his prime Shaq was the most dominant player the NBA has seen since MJ.  Look at Shaq's numbers during his 3 NBA finals in L.A.  I don't even think he bothered playing during the regular season.  Kobe just happened to be along for the ride.  Shaq would have done just fine with a dozen other guards on his team.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2008, 05:50:15 AM »
Now getting back on topic.

Least favorite team in NBA: The current Lakers
2nd least favorite team in NBA:  Pistons
3rd least favorite team in NBA: Spurs

... I hate life, go Celtics I guess.  If Lakers win West Conf, oh well.  If Pistons win East conf, oh well.  Just please god don't let both happen...  I don't like the Spurs, but I could root for them against the Pistons.  I don't really like the Celtics, but I could root for them against the Lakers.  I CANNOT root for Detroit or L.A., even against each other.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »
The Celtics have the best chance to win it all. They have the best overall starting line-up, with a pretty solid bench. My favorite team is the Bulls. At least they got the number one overall pick in the draft this year. I want to see the Celtics vs. Lakers in the championship. It doesn't really matter who wins. It would be nice to watch Pierce, Allen, and Garnett win a championship since neither of them hasn't yet. They are all future hall of famers. I would like to see Kobe win a championship without Shaq. He never got the credit he really deserved
I think......I think I want to be forgiven. Mhhm. More than anything.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2008, 04:03:32 PM »
The Lakers and Spurs are probably two of my favorite five teams, personally.

I'm not huge on the Pistons, but they're likely in the top 3rd of basketball teams for me. Celtics can just piss off. I just... you know, I can't bring myself to like KG or Pierce. Ray Allen is cool, but the other two irritate me for some reason.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Yeah i feel the same way. Ray Allen is the man, but even though I hate Pierce and Garnet....they deserve at least one championship. Who do you think the Bulls should take with their first pick? Derrick Rose or Micheal Beasly....I hope they go with Beasly

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2008, 11:59:08 PM »
Gosh, I really dunno. An incredible case could be made for either. I thought Beasley was the obvious choice, until I learned Rose was from Chicago and would probably sell about a billion jerseys.

In Chicago's shoes, I'd still want to go with Beasley, probably. They've lacked an inside scoring presence for YEARS. It's been their Achilles Heel for years. I sure as shit don't think Drew Gooden is the answer in the post. I'd rather take the easy baskets.

That, and I have a lingering feeling about Rose that he's going to turn into the next Stephan Marbury. And while he was a really good player in his day, I try to stay away from head-cases.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2008, 01:02:23 AM »
yeah the bulls need a power foward more than a shooting/point guard. They already have gordon, heinrich, and duhon for that. I hope gordon decides to stay with them though. Beasly would compliment luol deng nicely. The bulls have a very young team. The addition of beasly would make them a playoff contender again

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2008, 01:46:37 AM »
I would like to see Kobe win a championship without Shaq. He never got the credit he really deserved

1.  Kobe gets a ton of credit for Shaq's titles.  Look at any argument comparing him and anyone but Tim Duncan.  The rings are always brought up.  As for him deserving this credit...

38/17/3
33/16/3
36/12/3

Need I say more?  Shaq has 4 titles and 3 MVPs.  He's 3/3 in getting them with Kobe on his team and 0/1 with anyone else (Wade.)  Yes, Shaq was older then, but that just goes to show 1. How good he was and 2. That it is possible to be MVP with him on your team.  (It takes 120 points over 3 wins to do so, but still.)

Moving on a bit further.  Kobe needs an All-Star 7 footer to win.  This isn't a bad thing per say... in the last 9 years, the team that has won the NBA finals has had an All-Star 7 footer.  (Duncan x4, Shaq x4, and Wallace x1.)  Yeah, Wallace isn't that great really, but they also won a defensive minded title and he's a defensive minded 7 footer.

Next 10 years? 2x Hakeem and 2x Lambier (Lambier only 6'11, but close enough.)
Next 10 years? A whole shitload of Kareem/Parish.

In 30 years there have been 7 teams without an All Star 7 footer (or 6'11er).  1 had Moses Malone, who was 6'10 and just insane.  The other SIX had MJ.  Anyone who even tries to put Kobe in the same class as MJ can take that stat and shove it up their asses.

Kobe has his All-Star 7 footer now, so even if he wins another title he's just like everyone else who did it... except MJ.

(Disclaimer.  I hate Shaq, his style of play was awful IMO.  Also didn't like MJ that much since he cost Portland a title.  Still, the two both dominated the NBA like Kobe never will.)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »
More double posting goodness.  Bulls want Beas, period.  They need to improve their damn shooting percentage if they want to win games.

6 guys averaging double figures is nice.  43, 48, 46, 43, 39, 41 FG% is not.  Deng's 48 is just fine.  Gooden's 46 is... passable for a guy who plays his type of game.  The rest of them... fail.  FG%/FT%/Turnovers are the 3 most important stats in the NBA.  (Also, opponent FG%/Turnovers obviously.)  Bulls definately wanna look to improve there.  A good inside player could hopefully open their shooters up for more open shots.  Even raising their FG% by a few % would add 4-5 more points a game.

This is also where I'm hoping Oden helps Portland.  45, 48, 43, 42 for their 10+ guys isn't that great.  Oden will bring in a 50+ and hopefully allow the others to each move up a bit.

This ties into the whole 7 footer thing too, since the 7 footers usually have the best FG%.  (Spurs big 3 were 55, 52, 46 last year, as evidence or something.)

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2008, 02:22:09 AM »
Nobody will ever compare to Micheal Jordan. He is the best of all time and I don't give a shit what anyone has to say about that. When Kobe had Shaq they compared him to Jordan because of how good he was. Your right, that Jordan did it in chicago without a true center....but he didn't win squat without my main man scottie pippen. When Shaq left LA Kobe took a lot of heat cause he couldn't carry the lakers on his back. Thats what I meant

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2008, 02:15:02 PM »
Well... that was the other issue I have with Kobe.  His arrogance/babyness/stupidity/etc.
Kobe ran Shaq out of LA because HE wanted to be the star.
Kobe then complained about not having a team behind him.
Kobe said he wanted to be traded... 3-4 times.
Kobe then TOLD his team to get Jason Kidd (lotta good that woulda done.)
Kobe also fucks 19 year olds and buys back his wife.  (Irrelevant, but something that makes me hate him as a person even more.)

Anywho, done with my Kobe rants.  He'll probably win another title this year thanks to Gasol/Odom and their stupidly efficient scoring and then take all the credit like he did something.

Also, Pippen did kick ass, but Pippen was to MJ what Kobe was the Shaq.  MJ coulda won hit titles with a couple dozen different support players.  Shaq coulda won his titles with a couple dozen different support players.  Kobe and Pippen needed Shaq and Michael.  The difference being... Pippen knew that he was the support and filled his role perfectly, allowing his team to live in harmony (usually) and grab 6 titles.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2008, 04:12:10 PM »
Your definitely right. Do I think Kobe raped that girl......no. I think it was some stupid bitch looking for money. Of course he can buy his wife back, hes rich. Yes, he was all them things you said and even worse. I think he realized he was the support and honestly couldn't handle it. You always need a support role, you can't win a championship by yourself(sorry Lebron). Lebron James won't win a championship until he gets another all-star. Wally Scerbiak and Delonte West just ain't cutting it. And the same thing that happened to Kobe happened to Dwayne Wade after Shaq left. They sucked, except that Wade was the true star of that team. That is definitely what made Pippen so great, he knew he was support.....and he got a chance to prove how good he was after Jordan retired. He carried the bulls to the eastern conference finals one year with toni kukoc. It took Kobe forever to do that. Pippen is not at the same level as kobe as much as I love him. Pippen definitely deserves the NBA's top 50 though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2008, 07:04:42 AM »
Fuck yes. The Spurs are finally out of the Finals.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
Yeah, thats for sure. The Lakers are a way better team than I expected. The Celtics run has been dismal at best considering the caliber of their team. The Lakers look like they might win it all.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
dunno if y'all caught the Celtics-Pistons game, but check out what is almost certainly the worst call I've ever seen.  Celtics won, of course, but I'm still pissed about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5xQExrt0aA
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »
1) He traveled
2) He initiated contact

good call

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »
um, it's possible he traveled (not that they called him for that) but if thats what counts for initiating contact in the NBA playoffs in a game that was reffed hands-off, I'll eat my hat.  Pierce swayed in Hamilton's direction, but Hamilton was already midair, en route to hitting him if he moved or not.

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2008, 02:45:24 AM »
dude are you serious.....he would of flew by pierce without even touching him.....he took like a gigantic step over
he stopped dribbling and then walked

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2008, 01:17:35 AM »
Umm if you're in mid air the foul is on you... period.  This happens every game.  A player pump fakes, his opponent jumps, the player jumps INTO him to draw contact and lobs up a halfassed shot to get to the line.  EVERYONE does this.  One of the most basic fundamentals of defense is to stay on your feet unless the offensive player leaves his.

Anywho.  NBA finals time, this shouldn't be bumped to page 2.  Once the finals are over, so are real sports in America until football starts.

Kobe Bryant show off his game 1 MVP tactics with 35% shooting from the field.  Odom/Gasol both shot above .500, but Bryant kept taking the shots regardless.  FG attempts shouldn't be higher than points scored, period.  (Garnett and Allen both had bad shooting nights and still managed to have more points that FG attempts.)

The Lakers only shot at winning this series is to get Gasol/Odom 30 shots a game.  22 shots isn't going to cut it.  At very least, those 2 combined need to outshoot Kobe himself.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »
Boston sports media was MADE for basketball coverage.  Why?  They're a bunch of cynical S.O.B.s.

Bob Ryan, predicting game 3: "Here's your mortal-lock cinch: They'll get calls. Kobe might need to borrow a sleeve for his right arm from Allen Iverson or Ray Allen before the night is through because he will spend a lot of time shooting those uninterrupted freebies from that stripe 15 feet from the basket."

He's right, of course.  The Boston Globe Celtics blog also pointedly lists tonight's refs (including Joey Crawford, who is still somehow employed), pointing out their recent highlights, so the folks at home can get their hate on early.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2008, 03:20:40 AM »
...and we're both wrong.  The fix isn't in, and Odom and Gasol left their game in Boston.  What a crappy game (and I'm not saying that just because my boys lost <_< ).  It hit me when ABC asked viewers to phone in the MVP.  MVP?  in this game?  Bryant misses 7 goddamn free throws and he probably still qualifies.  Oh wait, Vujacic.  That works.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:24:11 AM by NotMiki »

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2008, 03:40:03 AM »
1. T-Wolves pass Miami.
2. Three lower seeded teams win in the first round.  (4/5 always crapshoots, Lakers, Wizards... figure 3/4 will work here.)
3. Bulls miss the playoffs
4. Warriors/Rockets get snubbed in West, despite their 4-5 seeds in East.  (Yes changing my thought that Portland misses playoffs.)
5. Suns win west regular season (Barring a Nash injury)
6. Lebron gets his MVP award (Kobe had a shot until Bynum went down.)

Those were my semi early season predictions.

1. Umm yeah... Wolves were 3-4 games back I think when I said this.  They beat Heat by 7 games.  Easy enough.
2. I was totally wrong here... I am amazed at how this years playoffs worked out in the West.  Crazy
3. I knew they were bad, but defied even my expectations... bwa ha ha
4. I'm calling foul because my home town bias gave me too much Blazer hope!  And Houston went nuts.
5. See 6
6. Well, I would have been right, minus getting Gasol for free.  That kind of fucked me up here.  (Suns beat the Lakers more or something and win West?)

Coulda done worse, coulda done better.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
I have been thinking of how to put this for a while, and this is the best zinger I've got:

LA got raped just like Kobe raped that girl! BA-ZING!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2008, 02:56:49 AM »
While he was shooting free throws in game 1, the Boston crowd was chanting "No means No!  No means No!"