Author Topic: NBA 2007-2008  (Read 21027 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
NBA 2007-2008
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
Well, with the new forums going up, and several months of play, it's time to stick in my new NBA topic, complete with a run-down of every single team.

Atlanta Hawks ~ Are +.500 right now. A sign of them maturing? For the most part... probably. Horford probably doesn't hurt them too much, either. They've got a slew of talented guys, so it was probably only a matter of time before they developed into something, but... eeh... I'm not sure they're going to be a big threat in the East anytime soon.

Boston Celtics ~ Ok, they're a little better than I expected. They're far from invulnerable, but it's sick how good they are. I've been watching their games, and I've learned a few things. 1)Eddie House is a better pickup than I thought he would be. 2)Rajon Rondo is really, really good. I'm surprised. Obviously he has his flaws, but for a Sophomore player he's got loads of talent. I know why Boston entrusted him with the starting point guard spot. The team is in no danger with him running the point. Bench depth is probably an issue, but the starting squad is flat-out sick. Ray Allen needs to be "The guy" in crunch time. This is just a percentage thing.

Charlotte Bobcats ~ I like watching this team play. They can't seem to win games yet, though. What they need is a good strong guy up front with Okafor. Nazr is not that guy. Still, I love a lot of their young talent, and personally, I think when they "get it", they'll be way better than the Hawks will be. (Not that this says much.)

Chicago Bulls ~ Notice that they're slowly creeping back up into contention. They're a pretty shitty team in the first part of the season, usually. They're going to be fine. I predict that, not only will they make the playoffs still, they'll do it with relative ease and make in the neighborhood of 5-6 again.

Cleveland Cavaliers ~ FUN FACT. If the playoffs were held today, Cleveland would be in them, despite having a 11-15 record. Note that they are the only losing team in the top 8 in the East. Honestly, I suspect Chicago will turn it around before Cleveland does. LeBron is good, but he's really not -that- good. (Hint: No one is.) He needs a team. (NOTE TO DAVID STERN: You are an idiot for thinking LeBron would raise ratings for the finals. Yes. LeBron is good. But watch a Cleveland game. Watch one. Tell me with a straight face that there is a more boring team to watch in the entire NBA. Maybe Miami. OH WAIT you think they're good too because they have Shaq and Wade. You want a highly rated finals? Pray for Boston versus Dallas.)

Dallas Mavericks ~ Record is wonky. Avery Johnson is dicking around with the team too much, but I'm still not convinced they're anything but the best team in the West. Once they remember that, yes, Dirk is the best guy on their team, they'll quickly resume dominance. Devin Harris is fantastic.

Denver Nuggets ~ Glad to see Iverson getting more love than 'Melo right now because he's... uh... better. Kenyon Martin's been doing OK. I still feel like they're under performing. On paper, this team is really good. Even their defense per 100 possessions is good. In practice, I don't know what the hell is off. (For one, they allow way the hell more than 100 possessions...) Well, hey, they'll at least make the Playoffs.

Detroit Pistons ~ I'm pretty sure certain they got the better end of the Nazr deal. The Pistons need to utilize Prince more, but other than that, they're a pretty damn fabulous team. I said a few months back that they were my pick to win the Championship, and until I'm proven wrong, I'm probably going to stick with that idea until the bitter end. I like Afflalo. If Stuckey is even better then... well, the Pistons have a pretty bright future, too. This is just an excellently built franchise.

Golden State Warriors ~ Stephen Jackson is way the fuck better than I thought he was, and the Warriors absolutely need him. Kelenna Azubuike has a weird name but boy, howdy can he play Basketball. Marco Belinelli, who I am still convinced will be awesome, cannot yet play a lick of defense. It's a shame he's under Don Nelson who will NEVER teach him how to play it. Baron Davis realized at some point that he has an awful, awful lot of talent. This is probably the most exciting team in basketball. It's nice to see them do well, too.

Houston Rockets ~ Suck and need a point guard. I'm not convinced Rick Adelman knows what the hell he's doing. There is no way this team is as bad as they have been playing. None. I feel BAD, because I love Yao and McGrady and Shane Battier. I really hope they figure out something to make this franchise better, because right now it's just some kind of unfathomable trainwreck with a clusterfuck of awful at Point. Jesus.

Indiana Pacers ~ If Rick Adelman is fucking over Houston, then Jim O'Brian is some kind of freaky genius for making this franchise pretty damn good again. I can't stand Jermaine O'neil, and Troy Murphy can get bent. They traded away Stephen Jackson and I think we can all see how good he is by watching the Warriors with and without him. Yet, here they are, doing swell in the East. Why? Well, we all knew Danny Granger was good and would get better, so there's that. The real surprises here are Jamaal Tinsley and Mike Dunleavy Jr. This is why I think O'Brian deserves a lot of credit. Because, lets face it. These guys have always had talent, but neither one of them has really decided to use it ever. O'Brian has somehow managed to make both of them productive, and if Tinsley doesn't get his head blown off, this team looks to make the playoffs which, a few months ago, I'd have never predicted. So that said, way to go Pacers.

LA Clippers ~ Fun fact: When Elton Brown isn't around to use his freaky length to grab rebounds, Chris Kaman grabs an awful, awful lot of rebounds. You know what would make my damn year? If the 2008 All-Star game starts Yao Ming at center, and then brings Chris Kaman off the bench at center, COMPLETELY IGNORING AMARE STOUDAMIRE. Seriously. It'd make my whole damn year. (Kaman deserves it more, too) But given that they played Tony Parker at guard last year instead of Deron Williams, I'm not holding my breath. It's hard to say that a team that's 9-15 is overperforming, but there you have it. I really like the Clippers, and I like how they're trying to put this team together, but god DAMN do they have awful luck. It's unbelievable.

LA Lakers ~ Kobe isn't going anywhere. The Ariza trade was a very solid move. Andrew Bynum is looking about as good as he looked at the beginning of last year, which is "very!". If his conditioning holds up this year (I'm convinced he fell off last year because he was worn down. I don't think he expected to play eight minutes a game, let alone start at center.), the Lakers are a very dangerous team. I love their bench to pieces, and they remain one of my favorite teams to watch. Right now, they're 4th in the West, which'd translate into playing Denver in the first round. Will they fall off? Well, there's not a lot of teams which could rise up to make them fall off. There's Utah, and... uh.... that's about all. They'll be right with New Orleans and Golden state again, only all three teams will be a step higher than before. Sorry Houston, but you got raped.

Memphis Grizzlies ~ They suck, but I'm not sure why they suck. I haven't really followed the Grizzlies this season at all, (TV makes this impossible). I think I heard Conley was injured. Yeah. That'd do it.

Miami Heat ~ I wanted to laugh at them so badly, and I still will. But first I want to show some respect to Alonzo Mourning, who might have played his last basketball game and ended his stellar career with an anticlimactic injury. He's out for 6 months they say, and he was going to retire, so I guess that's it for Zo. Gourry, are the Heat allowed to buy him out and then use the money to hire a player without going against the cap? Because they are positively fucked if they can't. Mourning is one of their best players and a major reason (more major than Shaq) why they won the championship a few years back. The Heat really, really suck already. They will suck worse without 'Zo. I loathe the fact that they televise so many goddamn Heat games when they suck so bad. They are up there with Cleveland for "most boring team to watch". I wanted to say that it'd be nice next year when they don't televise so many damn Heat games, but unfortunately, they'll get good draft position and pick up some young kid who, along with Wade, will ensure that I have to watch this dreadfully boring goddamn franchise for another 10 years.

Milwaukee Bucks ~ I don't understand what this team is trying to do. I think they drafted Yi so that they'd make some money off of China. He's decent, but he's not at ALL what the team needed to draft. They're.... eh. They're meaningless. They might be the most pointless team in the NBA. There's not even a story here anymore. There's no drama. They're not even that bad. They're just a pointless, boring team. Also, they shouldn't have traded T.J. Ford.

Minnesota Timberwolves ~ See, THIS team, they're bad enough to be interesting. I mean, they are truly, horribly bad. I predict they will have more losses than the Boston Celtics have wins at the end of the season. On the plus side, they might draft someone who projects to be a really good player. Also, it is impossible to look at a picture of Corey Brewer and not crack a smile.

New Jersey Nets ~ In theory, they're competing with Cleveland for the last playoff spot. In practice, they're going to lose out to Chicago. This team is............ you know, I don't get it. They have Krstic back. I don't see why they're so much worse than last year. Josh Boone is monstrously bad at shooting free throws. He makes Ben Wallace look good. (Ben is shooting 25% more than Boone is. Holy shit.) Why the hell is Jason Collins still starting? What does he do? Why did he get drafted so far ahead of his identical twin? Jason Kidd is too old to be traded for anything he's worth and should probably accept the fact that he's not going to get a championship ring. I'd feel bad for him if he wasn't an asshole. (Actually, come to think of it, this whole team is full of assholes. I'm glad the Nets suck.)

New Orleans Hornets ~ Bet the Bulls wished they had Tyson Chandler, still. I don't have a lot to say here. I knew last year they were a good team, but they got themselves injured something terrible. Hopefully, I'll actually get to watch them play when they make the playoffs.

New York Knicks ~ LOL

Orlando Magic ~ WHY DID YOU TRADE ARIZA? Beyond that, they're slipping now that teams are taking them seriously. They have to do something. Also, Jameer Nelson is a fucking idiot. He does not deserve to be starting on an NBA team, and he is batshit INSANE. I mean, totally freaking LOONEY if he thinks he's remotely as useful as Devin Harris.

Philadelphia 76ers ~ Do I have to talk about the Sixers? No? Moving on.

Phoenix Suns ~ You know, when they fail to win the championship get to the finals AGAIN, they're going to be pretty pissed. Stoudamire can't defend the paint to save his life and is not an all-NBA 1st team center. Fuck him and his goddamn attitude, too. I'm just glad the media loves the Celtics right now, because the Phoenix hype was annoying the hell out of me. Also, their tightwad owner is an asshole who is singlehandedly destroying a very good franchise.

Portland Trailblazers ~ Apparently, Brandon Roy is really good at basketball. This team makes me really excited. They're doing decently -now-, and they haven't had the softest schedule, either. Aldridge has been injured, and they're still doing this well. No Zach Randolf. This team impresses the hell out of me. They have a bright, bright future. The owner and GM of this franchise should be a role model to everyone else. This is how you build a goddamn team.

Sacremento Kings ~ You know, assuming they get a good kid in the draft, they could be a whole lot worse than {x} good young player and Kevin Martin.

San Antonio Spurs ~ I think jerseys are tacky and not good clothes at all. But if you put a gun to my head and said "You have to buy and wear an NBA Jersey" My Jersey would be Manu fucking Ginobili's. Manu Ginobili is a great, great basketball talent, and the only reason he's not a huge name in -this- country is because he gladly defers to Tim Duncan. Hate all you want, but I'll be the last one laughing when Ginobili is inevitably inducted into the Hall of Fame (He'll get there on his enormous foreign success record). As for the Spurs themselves? Once they heal up and it's summer, look out. They're always dangerous.

Seattle Supersonics ~ Their owner is a douchebag. Kevin Durant needs better shot selection. Uh.... well, we'll see in like, six years.

Toronto Raptors ~ Sucks that Ford keeps getting injured, but this is a good team anyhow. I don't get people who figured they'd fall out of the playoff picture.

Utah Jazz ~ What happened in Utah? This team is really good but their record sucks.

Washington Wizards ~ This team is better than you think. They failed last year because Arenas AND Butler got injured. Arenas is flashy, so what a lot of people seem to forget is that Caron Butler is very, very good. They started slow, but they're +.500 now, and I think they might be able to stay there. With Jamison out too, it's really hard to say. I'd really like to see them make a playoff run with all three guys healthy. I'm not convinced LeBron could beat them last year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:04:32 AM by Veryslightlymad »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007-2008
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 06:51:29 AM »
Don't know all that much about basketball, but after watching half a non-Celtics, non-Knicks game thirsday, I humbly submit Houston for addition to the 'most boring teams to watch' category.  This may have had something to the lack of defense of the, uh, Clippers, I think it was.  Neither team so much as bothered to try for a (defensive?  I guess? the kind where the other guys have possession?) rebound, so the whole affair was rather orderly and polite, with occasional light hustling.  Kinda like when there are two sets of doors, one person open the first set, and the other scurries to the second set to hold that one open for the first person.  Yeah, kinda like that.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
The Chicago Bulls fire Scott Skiles on Christmas Eve.

Well, the Bulls were seriously underperforming. I'd like to see what this squad can do with an actual offensive scheme, though that might be difficult when there's no post player.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:01:41 PM »
The Utah Jazz trade Gordan Giricek and a protected first round draft pick to Philidelphia in exchange for Kyle Korver.

Analysis:
Excellent move for the Jazz, positive move for Philly. Utah made this trade because Giricek is a headcase who can't get along with the coach. Korver is a very talented shooter, and probably some kind of an upgrade over Giricek. On Philly's side of things, they lose... uh.... one of their best players (Top 4, somewhere...), but Korver should not be a main piece for building your franchise. They get some relief off their salary cap at the end of the year and will probably use it to renew Igoudala's salary. They also get a draft pick that, barring a horrendous disaster, they will use. They seem dedicated to rebuilding the team, and Korver, who is a good player who will succeed in Utah, is not something to build over.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
Korver help beat Portland's zone on NYE so... good move for Utah so far, the bastards.

Portland losing after 13 in a row sucks, but at least they did it on the road to a decent team, not at home to Wolves or 76ers or something.

Portland winning right now is making the West even more interesting...  10 playoff caliber teams in the West and 5(?) in the East!  Go NBA!  As of now I'm guessing Portland/Houston are the 2 that don't make it in the West.

Houston gets injured too often and is still only 6-7 healthy.
Portland is still pretty damn young, they still have road issues, and they still need a big man to get the defensive rebounds... as the Utah game showed.  (Well they have him, they need him healthy.)

Also VSM, glad I wasn't the only one who thought Wizards would be a threat last year in playoffs.  I'd picked them to go to finals until well... they lost 2/3 of their team.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
Scary thought: if the playoffs started today, Atlanta would be a host city.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 03:09:34 AM »
Yeah. Wizards in the finals last year wouldn't have been a bad call. For a while they were at the very top of the East. This year, Gilbert's got nagging injuries.

If I had to pick a finals out of this bunch, I'd declare it to be Detroit and...... hmmm...... San Antonio. But perhaps I'm selling out Dallas too quickly.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 07:53:06 AM »
Everyone in the West has been fairly up and down, I think whoever happens to be playing well at the time will head to the finals.  Suns, Spurs, Mavs, and even the Jazz/Nuggets/Warriors can be pretty evil.  Lakers... ehh Kobe can't LEAD a team to a finals.

East, even playing bad the Celtics/Pistons will make their finals.  I suppose the Magic have an outside upset shot, but I don't see it happening.  As of now I like Celtics over Pistons, since the Pistons top tier ball is a step below Boston's.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:50:07 AM »
What's the point of replaying the last minute of that Heat/Hawks game in MARCH?  I mean, I can understand that the way it ended wasn't fair to the Heat, but the teams could be totally different by the time they get around to doing the replay.  The replay isn't going to be any more indicative of what the endgame should have looked like than the one that actually happened.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:59:54 AM »
What's the point of replaying the last minute of that Heat/Hawks game in MARCH?  I mean, I can understand that the way it ended wasn't fair to the Heat, but the teams could be totally different by the time they get around to doing the replay.  The replay isn't going to be any more indicative of what the endgame should have looked like than the one that actually happened.

What happened there? I heard something about a mistake, but I've been paying attention to football instead.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:57 AM »
I haven't been following Basketball news over the weekend.

Is this one of the Donaghy games?

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 02:55:48 AM »
Shaq got a foul with just under a minute left, which should have been his fifth but was scored as his sixth, so he was sent out of the game since according to the scorers he'd fouled out.  So, now they have to replay everything that happened after that foul with Shaq listed as only having five fouls.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 03:34:47 AM »
How does something like that go that long without being noticed?!

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »
Bynum out 8 weeks.  Lakers need overtime to beat Sonics on a night Durany shoots under 25% from the field.  6/26.

Laker collapse is near... bwa ha ha ha eat shit Kobe.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:42:20 AM »
Shaq got a foul with just under a minute left, which should have been his fifth but was scored as his sixth, so he was sent out of the game since according to the scorers he'd fouled out.  So, now they have to replay everything that happened after that foul with Shaq listed as only having five fouls.

And if there is any justice in the world, Shaq will be injured and unable to play before the do-over date.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »

And if there is any justice in the world, Shaq will be injured and unable to play before the do-over date.

Will be an important minute in March.. could decide if the Heat have the 2nd or 3rd worst record in the NBA!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 07:13:42 AM »
Bad time in Florida this year?

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »
Orlando's still pretty good. ........I think.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »
Orlando's still pretty good. ........I think.

Dropped 4 of the last 5, but still locked into the third seed in the East.  This means that they are the 12th best team or so in the NBA.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:06:05 AM »
Has it been a month already? (Actually, it's been a bit longer)

Anyhow, the league has changed enough over the past few weeks to warrant.... A NEW ANALYSIS! Yaaaaaaaay! (Now with admitted mistakes.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Atlanta Hawks: Aren't +.500 anymore, but... for now they're holding on to that #7 spot here in the East. I keep hearing lots of reports that Josh Smith is a selfish dumbfuck who is holding his team back, but.... he's also like, the second best player they have. They're still a bunch of incongruent pieces that need to be exchanged for something better. Playoffs bound? Maybe. Playoffs bound for the next couple of years? Maybe. Contenders? Never.

Boston Celtics ~ Well, it certainly was nice of them to come back to Earth where.... they still have the best record in the league by a lot, but they have been losing games. This shows that, yes, they really do need all three of their main guys to really compete. (Ray has been playing injured.) Most of why I don't think they'll win a championship (Or beat Detroit, when it comes to it), is because they really do need everything to go their way. So far they more or less have, but we're starting to see what happens when things don't.

Charlotte Bobcats ~ They're slowly crawling up. I don't think they'll hit the playoffs this year, but they ARE cooking compared to last year. Raymond Felton is a point guard, and their coach is CRAZY if he thinks that he should be starting anyone other than Raymond Felton at point. Crazy. Loco. Batshit. Et cetera.

Chicago Bulls ~ I was wrong. They ain't gonna be 5-6 in the East. I STILL think they'll replace Atlanta or Indiana in the playoff picture in general, but I don't see them advancing past 7 or 8. What happened, Chicago? Jesus. Hopefully... and maybe this is crazy talk, here.... but hopefully they'll get someone other than an energy guy up front. Also, firing Skiles on Christmas fucking Eve? Ice, ice cold. That ain't right. I don't care if he's a millionaire.

Cleveland Cavaliers ~ I was wrong here, too. As it turns out, LeBron IS that good. I thought no one was. But James, apparently, is. And apparently, his shitty teammates may be shitty, but they're his teammates, and he seems to need them. Which is weird. Anyhow, they managed to hoist themselves right back into the picture, and with a wildcard like James, they have the tools to beat anyone.... once.

Dallas Mavericks ~ Well, what do you know, they CAN play well. Note to Avery Johnson, and I think he has figured this out himself, finally. Dirk did NOT choke in the last two playoffs, man. Don't blame Dirk. It's you. You choked. Now, we're not clamoring for a replacement, because you're one of the most successful young coaches in history. So do yourself a favor. Take some time, think "You know, I CAN coach this game. And it's just like any other game" and then go into.... not Josh Howard... but Dirk. Dirk Nowitzki. The guy who won the MVP trophy. Because he's, you know, one of the best players in the entire league.

Denver Nuggets ~ DNP: Cancer is never, ever a good sign. Christ. As if their perennial injury woes weren't bad enough. Denver is realistically still in things, but it's not looking good. They have a lot of tough teams that... don't have injuries or cancer... gaining on them.

Detroit Pistons ~ Yep. I'm stiiiill picking the Pistons to go all the way this year. They'll have a pretty easy time in the playoffs, and knocking off Boston will probably be the only thing they have to worry about until they face whatever behemoth gets out of the west. And I'm pretty sure the entire west playoffs is going to be a bitter dogfight. This ought to be a good one. Chauncey Billups has balls the size of grapefruits.

Golden State Warriors ~ I'm sad because they might actually fall out of the playoff picture, and they're really, really fun to watch. The West, however, is starting to get really sick. And what's worse, is a lot of strong teams are that way because they actually have big guys that Golden State simply cannot defend. It'd be a shame to see them go down into the lottery again after last season, but I have a hard time seeing them ahead of both Houston AND Utah.

Houston Rockets ~ On the other hand, Houston has been sucking it up. Well, for Houston. Despite having a .537 record, they're actually TENTH in the West, and would not be in the playoffs if they were held today. This speaks to how absurdly good the West is. They really need to come up with something to offer the Sonics, who have an excess of good point guards.

Indiana Pacers ~ STILL THE EIGHTH SEED. Which is.... still surprising. I... see them falling to Chicago for this spot, honestly, but I owe the Pacers some props for how badly I underestimated them before the season began. I'm going to start paying attention to what they do in drafts.

LA Clippers ~ I'm standing by my statement that I'd rather see Kaman as an all-star than Amare, but you know what? I really hate Amare Stoudemire. He's a dickhead. Nonetheless, this is supposed to be about the Clippers right now. And... they're pretty terrible. (Poor Kaman's all-star bid) Which is to be expected, since they're without Brand or Livingston. They're another team that I'd love to see who they draft because... the reality seems to be that, if they get a difference making guy immediately, they might well be right in the thick of things again. I don't forget how good this team was a couple of years ago, and I don't believe in curses. The Clippers have serious options.

LA Lakers ~ Who here actually can believe they were at the top of the Western Conference about a week ago? Anyone? Yeah, me either. Do you ever wonder how often Kobe laughs out loud at the idea that he actually wanted to be traded to Chicago? Man, he'd have looked stupid. It's a shame Bynum got injured, because he was really cooking with gas. Damn. I'm convinced this team is for real. Derek Fisher makes a much bigger difference than I thought possible. I'm not entirely sure how, but the team seems to play much better with him hanging around than without. It's freaky.

Memphis Grizzlies ~ Sucks that they won't be able to sell too many Rudy Gay jerseys, huh?

Miami Heat ~ I actually get a kick out of watching their games now. Yeah, it's funny. Apparently, I'm A-OK with watching Miami lose. I can't believe I'm still bitter about their championship over Dallas, but there it is. It's refreshing to see a team that I truly loathe being at the very bottom rung of the NBA. Just this side of Minnesota. On the plus side, next year, they'll get some ludicrously good young player to pair up with Dwayne Wade, and they'll have some disgusting 1-2 tandem for the next several years.

Milwaukee Bucks ~ Somehow, they're theoretically in the playoffs picture. I find it funny that they're discussing dumping Villanueva now. That'd be a lot of fun. They got rid of Ford for nothing (Blah blah spine blah blah, he decided to come back), if that's the case. Yi is actually pretty darn good, he's just superfluous. The team is going nowhere, and they don't deserve to win games.

Minnesota Timberwolves ~ So far they're neck and neck with Boston, according to my earlier prediction. This one is going to be a nailbiter. Oh, man. That'd be really sweet.

New Jersey Nets ~ In theory they're also in the playoff picture? I dunno. I haven't seen any of their games, somehow. It's been a weird year for me. They have.... I don't even know what they have. Jason Kidd is still playing out of his mind, and probably is the only reason they're considered a playoff team (maybe), but really, I wouldn't be surprised if they missed it to Chicago, Indiana, Milwaukee, and Atlanta. I suspect, however, that the bottom two playoff teams this season will be Chicago and New Jersey. Somehow. Hope you like your Pistons and Celtics! (Interestingly enough, Chicago seems to be poison to the Pistons. Could there be an upset? That'd fuck over ONE of my predictions...)

New Orleans Hornets ~ NOTE TO NBA TELEVISION MANAGEMENT: Broadcast more Hornets games. Seriously. Chris Paul is going bananas (Better be a fucking All-Star). They're better than Miami, and I think... pretty well anyone could have told you that in the off-season. But whatever, man. Let's just not show any of their games and GUESS WHAT, they're #2 in the West. TWO. The SECOND BEST TEAM. Assholes. You need to get on the ball and show us their games. Go back to your room and think about what you did.

New York Knicks ~ LOL.

Orlando Magic ~ You know something? Hedo Turkoglu is actually a pretty damn fantastic Basketball player this year. I did not know this. I would not be totally unhappy if he made an all-star bid. But... he'd be behind Pierce, Garnett, Butler, James and Bosh. Can you fit 6 forwards on an All-Star team? If so, I'd be somewhat disappointed if he wasn't one of them. If five, well, then those five. Clearly. Go Turk. Also worth noting is how he's an upgrade of Rashard Lewis. Despite playing on the same team for a fraction of the Salary. God bless the NBA.

Philadelphia 76ers ~ Yep. I still don't like this team. I... don't see much newsworthy stuff about them. Oh, and technically they're in the playoff hunt. Wouldn't that be something?

Phoenix Suns ~ Amare hate aside. (Suns hate aside, even) This team is rolling. Top of the West (for now). They're a decent squad. Really. I just don't think they're a championship squad. Interestingly, Hill's "injury" may benefit the team. All those days he's out recovering from his appendectomy, he's not injuring his legs, and he's getting plenty of rest in the hot Arizona sun. He might be the freshest he's been in a long ass time. Inn't that weird?

Portland Trailblazers ~ I will personally strangle someone if Tony Parker makes the All-Star team ahead of Brandon Roy. I will. I really, truly will. I finally saw Brandon Roy play the other night, and I have to say, I got chills. At one point in time, I popped out of my chair, and these girls I was having a slumber party with (Long story. It's more pathetic than it sounds.) thought I had been bitten by something. Yeah. He's electric. I want this team to win things. Like games. So they can make the playoffs. I suspect that they will. They have such a huge luxury of point guards. And this will only increase in coming seasons, when they get Fernandez over here, and Kaponen over here. It's sick. Absolutely sick. This may be my second favorite team now, behind Dallas.

Sacremento Kings ~ What's this? Trade Rumors for Ron Artest and Mike Bibby? I've never heard such things. Seriously, though, they should trade one or both of them and get everything they can for it. Having a mediocre Bibby/Artest/Martin team and then a Mediocre Martin/low draft guy/low draft guy team is probably not the way to win any playoff series this decade.

San Antonio Spurs ~ Seriously. Don't do it, coaches. Don't you dare. Don't make Tony Parker an All-Star. Not when his own teammate is playing better at guard this year. I'm watching you. Don't fucking do it. You robbed Deron. If you rob Brandon Roy, I'm gonna have to kill a bitch.

Seattle Supersonics ~ Has it been six years yet? No? OK. Also, fuck Earl Watson.

Toronto Raptors ~ So apparently, there's a big fuss about how Andrea Bargnani is terrible or something. Whatever. He's developing. His stats are somehow DOWN, though, and that's kind of a puzzler. So maybe there's something there. Maybe he can't handle people bugging him though. The Italians have been disappointing me this season. Even the last italian salami I had was like, incredibly fatty and gross. Does this mean Mario will be sub-par in SSBB? It's entirely possible. Also, Ford is injured again, but Toronto doesn't seem to really notice, because Calderon is ALSO perfectly capable of running a Playoff-level NBA team. So there you go. Toronto is pretty damn deep, and also quite young. Let's check in on them in a few years. We were told to give Bargnani five.

Utah Jazz ~ Not in the playoffs, if they happened today. I... still don't really know what happened to the Jazz. Was it Fisher? Did losing Fisher actually make them that much worse? He went to LA and LA is awesome suddenly. And he seems to make huge plays for the Lakers on a fairly regular clip. Maybe there's something to it. Add Deron Williams to the list of "Guys who are more All-Star worthy than Tony fucking Parker". But, to be fair, he ought to be behind Paul and Brandon Roy this year.

Washington Wizards ~ Oh, yeah, Butler and Jamison can play basketball too. It's almost like they were a "Big three." Go figure. The fun thing about the Wizards is, if fate shines on them (and basketball fans in general), they could have an opposite end to this season than last time. Imagine if their team (ok, Gilbert) got HEALTHY just before the playoffs. You know, instead of injured. They could totally upset a higher seed. Or at least give them a hell of a fight. People don't take the Wizards or Raptors very seriously, and that makes me sad. But hey, the same people thought the Heat were locks for the playoffs this year, so I think there's plenty of dick left to suck, jerkholes.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2008, 08:07:11 PM »
Detroit... ewww.

Celtics don't need things to go well for them this season, they just need to do what the Lakers did 3 years in a row.  Be healthy for the playoffs.  Detroit won't beat a full Celtics roster in a best of 7 series, so it's more that Detroit needs stuff to go wrong for the Celtics than Celtics need stuff to go right for them.  Mind you, Boston can't win 3 titles in a row 1. Because the NBA is stronger than when Kobe/Shaq did it and 2. They're too damn old.  Their window is this year and probably next year.

Detroit also loses to more of the West's top teams.  I haven't looked at the matchups that well, but I'd wager that 4/5 of Phoenix, Dallas, Lakers, Spurs, and NOK (wtf) could take the Pistons in the finals.  Assuming they're healthy of course, but I'm guessing whoever goes to the finals will be.

Lakers... will die without Bynum.  Kobe is still Kobe, his stats are damn near identical to last year.  Scoring is down, but that's not because he's being more unselfish, it's because his minutes and shooting % are slightly down.  (This may have changed after last couple games.)  The reason the Lakers kick ass this year is because of BYNUM!  They'll probably be right around .500 in the games that he misses, dropping them to 6-7 spot in the West.  That said, if Bynum does get healthy before the playoffs, Lakers are a possible upset team much like the Wizards.  (Oh yeah, Bynum's FG% is the highest in the NBA since Wilt.  That is some damn efficient scoring.)

Finally, Roy won't go to the Allstar game for the following reasons. 
They only take like 2PG, 2SG and 1 extra guard I think.  Roy plays both arguably, so yeah 5 spots he could take.
Nash/Paul are the two best PGs in the NBA easily, this can't be argued. (Well it can if you wanna look dumb.)
Kobe auto starts SG every year until he retires.  McGrady is that loved by everyone so he gets a spot.
Roy's numbers aren't actually that great on paper, at least by Allstar standards.  (19,5,6 or something.)
This leaves one spot open for Roy, and he has to compete with a lot of good players, some that the coaches also like to give head too.  Manu, Parker, Deron, AI, and probably others I forgot.
So... as cool as it would be for Roy to be an allstar, I seriously doubt it happens.

Random predictions for this year.
1. T-Wolves pass Miami.
2. Three lower seeded teams win in the first round.  (4/5 always crapshoots, Lakers, Wizards... figure 3/4 will work here.)
3. Bulls miss the playoffs
4. Warriors/Rockets get snubbed in West, despite their 4-5 seeds in East.  (Yes changing my thought that Portland misses playoffs.)
5. Suns win west regular season (Barring a Nash injury)
6. Lebron gets his MVP award (Kobe had a shot until Bynum went down.)

Should about do it.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
I forgot Iverson existed in the West conference now, so far as the All-Star game is concerned. I have no problem with a lineup of Kobe/Iverson/Nash/Paul/McGrady, but if Parker gets in I will hurt someone.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 11:34:34 PM »
I forgot Iverson existed in the West conference now, so far as the All-Star game is concerned. I have no problem with a lineup of Kobe/Iverson/Nash/Paul/McGrady, but if Parker gets in I will hurt someone.

But he's MVP!!!! 

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 03:05:31 AM »
Of one series against a shitty team! He deserved that award.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 10:28:07 PM »
I have begun my E-mail campaign of the Toronto Raptors, trying to get them to update their logos to include feathers, keeping in line with the modern scientific consensus. I invite anyone in here remotely interested in doing so to join me.

Actually, I invite EVERYONE to. It takes maybe 5 minutes and it'd be really nifty if I could actually pull off a switch like that.