Author Topic: Season 44 rankings: Preliminary stage  (Read 14392 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Season 44 rankings: Preliminary stage
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »
AS I posted this a bit late this time around, the topic will be open for another 24~ hours or so. Get your votes and thoughts in now.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »
Disgaea 2 -  Sequel to a popular game, still quite avaiable to purchase and I think the bare minimum for vote draw.  It can only improve when ranked; see the people who often play a RPG because it's ranked. Why else would people play shit games like LoL2 or WA2?

Persona 3 - Almost the same reason as Disgaea 2, except it has a lot to improve on over the months with a new version that just came out.  Again, just by ranking it will get people to play it.

Honestly, I'll pass on FE9 until FE10 has more playership and just rank both games at the same time.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2008, 06:38:52 AM »
Fire Emblem 9 and Persona 3

Fire Emblem 9: Popular series, popular internally, more fun duellers than the other FE games.  Yeah, this seems like the best idea in my eyes.  Biggest problem is FE10 forms (which I will vote on if they're better), but eh.  I'd probably wait on FE10 if there were better ideas than what we have here.

Persona 3: Interesting duellers, big hit, apt for growth.  Even if it doesn't get in this time, it probably will next time, but right now, I'm leaning this for my second choice.

---

Disgaea 2: Good third choice, yeah, but the duellers aren't very interesting.  Only thing keeping it below the other two.

Mana Khemia:  Seriously needs to be ranked eventually.  Awesome game, fun duellers, fun characters for writeups, etc.  It's a great game in the DL and if it had a higher vote draw I'd be all over it.  More of you really should play it.

Wild Arms 5: Probably should also be ranked eventually, but apparently now is not the time.  I'm taking NR's numbers with a grain of salt here, so I don't think it's as bad of an idea as people make it out to be, but it's obviously below the top 3.

Operation Darkness:  ??
Valkyria Chronicles: PS3 Japan only game that's action oriented?  Yeah uh no.
Xenosaga 3: Not much I want to rank from this anyways, since the PCs are already ranked.
Kartia: Psyduck.  Could be interesting in the DL (reverse limit fighter cast!)?  I dunno.  Needs stat topic'd!
Phantom Brave: Not a good game in the DL.  At all.  I love the game, but yeah.
Kingdom Hearts:  NO.
Kingdom Hearts 2:  NO.
Tales of Innocence: Japan only?  Yeah uh no.
Radiata Stories: NO.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced: Yeah also not a good idea, but better than some of these others...
Enchanted Arms: Don't know anything about it.
Ateiler Iris 1: Would be cool in the DL, but the draw's not up there yet.  You should all play this too, but Mana Khemia is more important.
Lost Odyssey: Know nothing about this as well.
The World Ends with You: AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  That's a good joke.
Mother 1: Japan only?  Yeah uh no.
Final Fantasy 12: Not DL friendly.
Eternal Sonata: Know nothing about it.
Super Mario RPG bosses: Apathy.
Fire Emblem 6: Japan only?  Yeah uh no.  Best Japan only idea on here at least?
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: Hey, I'd like to see this one in the DL, actually!  Get to playing it slackers.
Summon Night: ...which one?
Treasure of the Rudras: Japan onlY?  Yeah uh no.  Though probably as good an idea s FE6!
La Pucelle Tactics: Apathy.  As much fun Coup de Grace spam would be, I just don't care about it.
Ar Tonelico: Yeah I wouldn't push this one in the DL either.  Has interesting duellers (and some boring as hell duellers), but the interp issues are pretty out there.
Megaman X Command Mission: Haven't finished it, but probably a decent idea.  Just needs draw (like most of these).

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2008, 07:03:54 AM »
(1) Disgaea 2: Is exceedingly boring but it gets Adell out of NR which is good since he's ruined two Middles already. >_>. Seriously, it is a good thing to rank to make people think the site isn't dead or anything and is probably the best thing for that.

(2) Persona 3: Hey look, it's a game that is really popular in places other than here. Hey look, it is a potential magnet to draw in frue external which we don't have. Hey look, it is a decent idea which will probably soon be viable.

I am not against FE9, really, since it seems to be a FE game that actually has skills that influence things. (FE4 ranking hype- *overkilled*). FE10 and the fact I can't find it kind of prevent me from taking it over P3 here though.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
Enchanted Arms: Don't know anything about it.

Has a flamingly gay guy and a cowgirl as party members, on PS3 and 360.

Lost Odyssey: Know nothing about this as well.

Story about immortals that has a funeral mini-game, and is very FF-ish in style, for 360.

Eternal Sonata: Know nothing about it.

FREDERIC FREAKING CHOPING KICKING ASS AND TAKING NAMES!!!

...no, I have no idea why I decided to post this.  Just anxious to start the next phase of the topic, I guess.  >_>  Of those...bleh.  They're all on 360, and Eternal Arms is cross-platform (and 360 should be in the future), but...overall, probably don't have a chance anytime soon, for all that they're fairly interesting. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Andemon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2008, 01:53:53 PM »
Assuming that it's not too late to vote:

- Persona 3
   Has a massive fanbase, maybe it'll draw more voters here. Shame about Persona 2, though.
 - FE9
   Just rank it already, ok?

As for the others...

Disgaea 2: Finished. Wouldn't mind seeing this in DL, even though it was inferior to Disgaea 1.
Mana Khemia & Wild Arms 5: Played partially. Liked MH, didn't play WA5 for long enough to form an opinion. Probably won't finish either since my PS2 broke...
Operation Darkness & Enchanted Arms & Eternal sonata: 360? I might play these in few years.
Valkyria Chronicles: PS3? See above. Too many unplayed games for the consoles that I already own, won't buy a new one anytime soon.
Xenosaga 3: Haven't played this and never will. Couldn't even slog through the first one.
Kartia: Finished. Decent game, but I doubt that it'd do well. Might be amusing to give it a shot in NR, though.
Phantom Brave: Finished. Rather mediocre, there are plenty of other games that I'd rather see here.
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2: Finished both. I despise these almost as much as Pokemon.
Radiata Stories: Finished. Didn't enjoy it, though. There are far better games to rank.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced: Finished. Mediocre, but rather this than fe. KH.
Ateiler Iris 1: Finished. Wouldn't mind seeing in DL, but there are better choices.
The World Ends with You: Finished. Erm... Not exactly DL material.
Mother 1 & Tales of Innocence & Fire Emblem 6: Haven't played. Maybe after I finish my Japanese studies. In other words, at this rate, maybe in few decades.
Final Fantasy 12: Played partially. Not suitable for DL.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: Played partially. Hated it, but I'd vote it over... say, KH.
Summon Night: DS? Played partially. Mediocre.
Treasure of the Rudras: Finished. Mediocre.
La Pucelle Tactics: Finished. Rather this than Phantom Brave, but rather Disgaea 2 than this.
Ar Tonelico: Finished. Might be interesting to see it in NR.
Megaman X Command Mission: Total apathy. Might actually be a good game, but this was somewhere near the bottom of my to-play list even before my PS2 broke.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:40:35 PM by Andemon »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
This is open till midday today (US time), so yeah, plenty of time to get votes in.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Dis2, FE9. Simple and fast reasoning: Best mix of draw and lack of interp issues. FE9 is a bit worse there what with FE10 forms, but then again we don't have Lufia 3 ranked either and that doesn't throw a huge wrench into things for Sinistral voting. But please, only rank important people from FE9.

P3 is a fine option, and I was seriously considering to nod it over FE9 here. But bias aside, it needs to pick up the draw some to be considered for #2, especially internal.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
I'm guessing FE9 is probably going to be a good pick here, it's got quite a decent fanbase as well (yeah, moreso than Disgaea 2 and some issues that have already been address is why I'm not voting for it). So one of my picks is definitely going to be FE9. The other, second choice pick? Probably Persona 3, it has an insane fanbase (and even P4 which came out just a week ago? it also has a big fanbase for how fast it came out) and I really do like the duelers, I don't find them boring at all~ Also, FES!!

In short:

1) FE9
2) Persona 3

I would have voted for Mana Khemia if not for the fact the US version is way too young, since it does seem like it would do well IF it were played by more people here. I'll also note a lack of votership for this. Disgaea 2... Well, I don't see it being hugely popular. Seems like a hit or miss thing. So I ruled those two out.

I have different thoughts with Japan-Only games like Mother 1/EB Zero and FE6 because I can understand them fine, so I have less qualms about them being possibilities in the future, but it's pretty important to note the amount of solely English-language players. Summon Night, depends on which one. The vanilla SN games are pretty straightforward and some of them have insanely boring duelers, so yeah (alright, you have the MCs of each game which are /remotely/ interesting due to the fact they can suummon, well also their partners and in SN4 everyone can summon, although depends on which type).
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
As prodded by Super...  Persona 3 and Disgaea 2

Persona 3 definitely needs ranking.  See Nitori, see Andemon, see others.  Its market penetration is frankly astonishing, it's *the* JRPG of the last year+.  The numbers will keep going up and be respectable by the time it actually matters, ie a dueller from it gets in.  Seems a very clear choice.

For the other one... honestly?  FE9 is a far, far better pick than Dis2.  I'd love to be voting P3/FE9 here.  Unfortunately Dis2 has a lock on the votes and it's more important that P3 get in alongside it.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »
This topic will be closed at 1:30 EST, so you have 2~ hours to change/add votes! The second round topic will go up shortly after 5pm.
-------------------

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »
Just about made it.

Persona 3 and FE9 are proberly the best choices right now to rank. WA5 and F12 both have issues in the Pc area but I don't see why the bosses couldn't just be ranked first to show something is being done and then rank the pcs later.

I'm guessing forgotten warriors is people from ranked games that weren't ranked or am I wrong on that? If I'm right then I'd suggest the x-2 bosses (I.e big three, and final). The game of course has big problems like the hate that it gets (I know people that haven't even played it and they say its the worse game ever made).
Its doubtful the game has improved since it was first considered but it might be worth a shot putting some of them in NR.

Anyway my votes are Persona 3 and FE9.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2008, 05:42:05 PM »
...wow, this is close.  That 2nd spot is uber-tight.  Haven't seen this for a while. 

Anyway, you have ~1 hour left.  Vote now, and if you change a vote, post a new post informing us about it!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
My choices for the second stage of rankings:

Fire Emblem 9 - I think it works. The weird embryonary stage for FE9 is past, but I think that waiting for FE10 to get playership before ranking FE9 is pointless and kinda dumb. If that's such a problem, just abstain on ranking people with massive worth split between the games. This will have to be a fairly controlled ranking, anyway.

Disgaea 2 - Disgaea utterly apathizes me in the DL, but it's the game that showed the less fail numbers so far. It's cute and interesting that P3 managed to scrounge up enough support to make it close this round, but it's clearly not ready, and it can only pick up more with time, since people showed notable interest in it, for better and worse. It's something that will certainly be an interesting choice in a ranking period or two, but not right now. So, going with the one that showed the biggest semblance of competence so far.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
And closed. Thanks to everyone who posted, the next stage of the topic will be up in roughly three and a half hours.
-------------------