Author Topic: Persona 3 Ranking Discussion (VERY LIKELY SPOILERS)  (Read 11778 times)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Persona 3 Ranking Discussion (VERY LIKELY SPOILERS)
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »
Welcome one and all!  We already had FE9 and...well, might have had D2 at some point.  Those two games are being ranked at this very moment!  The next best chances for ranking 2 seasons from now are P3 (which nearly made it this time) and WA5 (topic already done, game probably is the next best one).  So, P3 discussion...away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biggest issues: Fes crossover (Aigis ranking, when to rank the game, etc.), bosses, allowances, etc.  Basically, any thoughts or opinions on the game are welcome.

My personal thoughts here:

Definitely rank Yukari, Junpei, Akihiko, Mitsuru, Aigis (see below), Koromaru, Ken, Shinjiro, Chidori, Jin, Takaya. 
As for Minato...eh, there are interps that would make him not Blue-like, at least.  Don't care much, since I don't think anyone will support him much.  Fuuka...would be an awesome rank, but again, don't think anyone will support her >_>  The final, Nyx Avatar (whom also could go under another name...which I'll spoiler-guard at the end of this post) I would support, but I don't know how many others will go for her/him/it/DEARGODTHEPAIN.  Will probably definitely support her/him/it. 

When Fes comes time...it's really only Metis and a possible Aigis re-rank.  No bosses really work.  As for Aigis...I could see her ranked when Fes comes out.  She really does need to be ranked, and isn't as evil as Minato.  However, if Fes won't be ranked ever...I'd say she should be ranked initially just so she gets in.  To an extent, I'd almost say just rank P3 this time, but Fes does need a bit more time.  Still, I guess Metis comes in under a FW anyway later, so...eh. 

Ryoji
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:44:13 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 3 Ranking Discussion (VERY LIKELY SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:38 PM »
Definite yes to Non Minato/Aigis/Fuuka PCs, and Strega (for all that they are kind of ass in a duel, and boring minus Chidori, who is a hilarious Light spoiler).

Aigis...well, FES won't be ready yet, and the vote split is far worse than say Tibarn and Naesala. Even worse, it's not a power difference based on a sequel that was out during the ranking, but essentially an add on. We'd have to rank them as what...P3: The Journey and then hope that people knew the difference and voted on it. No to that.

Minato is no thanks to being seen as Bluelike. In no way do I allow him the initiative (Since...it's more whoever attacks first goes first. A monster attacks you, and they go first! Minato attacks the monster, and Minato goes first! A monster gets into a scuffle with a different PC, and that PC then goes before Minato), but since most will and he has overkill smash, not rankable.

Nyx isn't uber broken to me since I allow spillover damage, but is an absolute nightmare in a duel anyways though.

I'll throw up my current numerical rankings later.
...into the nightfall.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Nyx isn't uber broken to me since I allow spillover damage, but is an absolute nightmare in a duel anyways though.

Two words: Moonless.  Gown.

Pyro

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:47 PM »
Its also worth noting that Night Queen breaks status immunity. Doubt this matters, but is a bit O_o inspiring.  Also: Nyx's HP buffering is a rather large positive in his favor in-game, as the frailty of them means if damge DID spill over, he would be easier to blitz through (&$%&*$ MT ID).

I'd rank all the non-Minato PCs myself. Aigis... I haven't played FES enough to say, so I wouldn't have a problem with her personally, and would vote to rank accordingly.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »
Moonless Gown has a 1 turn gap that at least gives good damage dealers the time to take Nyx out.

I kind of find every form but the last to be a joke, so the only thing you'd really gain from being able to blitz through in game to me would be less aggrevation of dying due to being randomly statused at the end.
...into the nightfall.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:51:11 AM »
Moonless Gown has a 1 turn gap that at least gives good damage dealers the time to take Nyx out.

I'm... not sure it even does.  I believe I've seen Nyx take down Moonless Gown and put it back up in the same turn.

Anyways, I'd support all non-Minato PCs (this does not include Fuuka, OK), and probably Strega.  Metis if FES picks up enough by then but somehow doubting it.

Pyro

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:00:25 AM »
I kind of find every form but the last to be a joke, so the only thing you'd really gain from being able to blitz through in game to me would be less aggrevation of dying due to being randomly statused at the end.

(&$%&*$ MT ID)

Add in a no to Metis from me, despite liking the concept of an Aigis fangirl.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »
Somehow I don't think this game is that complex rankingwise to require a whole topic, but I suppose this'll be standard with big games now or something.

Rank: Non-Minato PCs (Although Minato with Orpheus only would be awesome.), Strega, Fuuka

DNR: King Minato, Nyx Avatar (Although I have never seen Moonless Gown spam. Mainly, it seemed like it was used at 25% HP intervals but that was probably just me.)
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:15:21 AM »
Actual thoughts on where I'd rank people.  Definites first:

Yukari - High Light of some sort.  Her HP is pretty weak (80%), and her END doesn't help much.  She lacks an amp (which she'd kill for), so her damage isn't that great.  Lots of healing, at least, but that doesn't help her much when someone has electric damage.  So yeah...decent Light, but not a Middle.

Junpei - Middle, likely.  Probably need to run more tests on High Counter, but it's probably close to 33% overall.  That + Regen and a rare weakness with a good null is great.  Damage is below average unless using his HP-eating techs, but his HP and END are good enough to keep him going for a while with the anti-physical game he has.  Thanks God his magical defense isn't based on MAG.

Akihiko - Middle, possibly on the high end.  The ice weakness is balls, but nulling electric helps.  His damage is good, ever so close to a 2-shot to most.  His healing is great, and he has the stat-drops to help put foes into a wringer.  His physical is also a decent back-up if needed, and his durability is pretty close to average.  A good tough Middle, but that weakness does knock him down a good bit.

Mitsuru - Middle, probably the same as Aki.  Fire weakness instead of ice, nulls ice instead.  Damage is 2-shottable to most, and she has Mind Charge and a decentish status to fall back on.  Also has the healing, though her physical is nowhere near as good as Akihiko's, and her durability is a little bit worse.  Still good for Middle, hates the weakness, lalalala.

Koromaru - Middle!  Damage pretty close to Akihiko's, a much better weakness (Light, which could even be argued as ID weakness instead!), 2 resists (Fire and Dark, for all that dark isn't that great), also has High Counter like Junpei, and ID!  He lacks healing of any sort, but has multiple options and back-up to help him.  Also has great durability with his HP.  The individual components could be better, but they add up to something pretty respectable.

Ken - High Middle.  ID is good (solid - better than Koro's, though a more common element if you see it that way), and he has healing.  Damage is...not great, though he does have the ability to hit both defenses.  He lives on ID and healing, though his durability isn't great (better than Yukari!).  At least the rarest weakness of the bunch helps (Dark).

Shinjiro - Temp!  Anyway, at worst a Middle, possibly higher.  If you take him at the time he leaves, he has Power Charge and good physicals, and shitty regen, though faces much, much lower averages in general.  Scale him up to endgame with skills and everything, and he's pretty good as well - Power Charge, God's Hand, much better regen, High Counter.  He's also the only one with no weaknesses, and his durability is solid.  Might very well be some type of Low Heavy.  

Chidori - PUNY!!!!  Actually an awesome one.  A great skillset backed up with horrible, horrible HP.  At least her defenses are fairly normal!  Anyway, 50% HP Tetrakarn wins against poor fighters, and she has REGEN!!!!!!

Jin - Levels change him and Takaya a lot.  Anyway, I'd say Lower Heavy echelons.  Has damage variety and lots of status, as well as durability.  Nothing else special, but...good otherwise.

Takaya - Higher Heavy range.  Damage is fantastic, and he has Mind Charge.  Great durability too, and ID that he almost never uses!  Good overall.

Now, for the questionable people!

Minato - Godlike.  No matter what.  Not giving initiative...makes him more beatable, though he's still evil.  Armageddon is awful, and he can wall just about anything.  Granted, HP are low, and most personas have weaknesses to exploit.  I'd be for ranking him, personally, but most will view him as unbeatable, so...

Fuuka - Puny.  Awful in all regards, but the cast loves you if you take her into the averages!

Aigis - Higher Middle ranges.  Hates the resistance/weakness she has a lot.  Loves everything else!  No magic damage, but the kajas and physicals with healing and nothing else to spend her SP on make her pretty good overall.  Plus, Orgia Mode for fun finishers.  Godlike, though somewhat lower than Minato if you take Fes into account - lacking fusions ruins Armageddon, but she gets everything else in the game, which helps!

Nyx Avatar/Spoilers - Godlike.  Lots of forms to wear people down, then the Death form to maul everyone with Moonless Gown and Night Queen.  Excellent.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:30:24 AM »
DNR to Minato, Ageis, and Nyx for obvious reasons.
Rank rest of the PCs and Strega.
Whoever mentions Fuuka must die.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:06:15 AM »
Somehow I don't think this game is that complex rankingwise to require a whole topic, but I suppose this'll be standard with big games now or something.

It's actually pretty common, depending on interest levels/boredom of the people involved.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:38:54 AM »
Yeah, it's generally a fun thing to discuss, and I think it's helped so far (FE9 - less arguing than usual).  Also will probably be good for WA5 too.  P3 is much easier in that regard (the only questions are the final and Aigis, generally), but it still helps.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:01:52 AM »
Lots of pre-ranking talk is good! Give numerical rankings! Giving lots of thought to what should be ranked and who goes where and all that before a game gets ranked makes for as smooth a transition as possible, as well as decreases the probability of misrankings.

That said
Yukari- 2.75. Durability and damage aren't there. Lots of healing though, and a decent enough physical back-up. Very bad trade on her weakness.

Junpei- 3.15. Think I respect him a little more than when I made my Contenders ranking. The Regen is so nice on him, especially with the good HP and END. Passable damage of both types is very helpful, and High Counter is good on turn 3 (Which he'll usually see in a physical slugfest minus facing Valeria-level damage, I think).

Akihiko- 3.3. Average Middle. Debuffs are nice when coupled with healing, but nothing stands out. Note that I haven't really tested accuracy/evasion much (and haven't tested the debuff at all), so he could end up with like 40% overall evasion after turn 1, in which case he'd definetely jump up higher.

Mitsuru- 3.4. The quick-draw healer who is all about having ways to stop other healers! (Minus those with more accurate Silence, and even then...). Distress weapon, Silence, Mind Charge...all are decent anti-healer tricks, and having 2HKO to start with is also very good. Blargh to her weakness though, as she may have the worst trade off along with Yukari.

Koromaru- 3.3. Respect for him climbed a little since I think High Counter+awesome AGI does give him a really nice physical evade cushion. Turn 3 ID and such then.

Ken- 3.5. The balanced PC. Equal magic and physical damage, healing, ID, and a weakness that doesn't come up too often. Passable in a slugfest, passable in a quick draw, but never solid at anything.

Shinjiro- 3.35. (Assuming Endgame here for sanity. Theoretically scaled from when he leaves and stuff except relative stats shouldn't really change and he gets his last skill at the same level  range of everyone else). I need to test God Hand's accuracy, because that was one attack for me that just consistently had some notable accuracy issues. If it actually doesn't, he's a lot better since Power Charge+God Hand 2HKOs. Otherwise, High Counter and Regenerate makes physicallers hate him, and Power Charge could be nasty on some frail healers.

Chidori- 2.75. 45% PC HP and sheer awesome. Tetrakarn is hilarious on her, since pure physicallers must OHKO her (Not that hard!) or die! Killing Fire damage also helps with another decent chunk of Suikoden mages/Tao.

Jin- 4.0. Turn 2 Charm off decent durability. Charm and Berserk if he faces a mage with a truly shit physical, but overall just really a status whore.

Takaya- 3.8 or something. 2 PC HP, and borderline 3HKO. Yeah, no way I'm letting him spam that ID though, because it's beyond rare. Could be a Middle, just kind of unsure where to place him at the moment.

Aigis 1- 3.4. Respect fell a little overall, I think. Orgia Mode...well, it's like Shinjiro's PC against healers really (Except she doesn't even the option of 2HKOing normal ever). She three turns either way. Granted, she can buff attack, then PC, and then borderline OHKO, I think. If the evasion buffs ends up awesome, she would move up.

Aigis 2- 4.6ish. Turn 1 ID or the option to completely immune physicals and having Makarakarn on something makes some sort of Godlike obvious. General can spoil Heavy to death, but can't really compete with the big Godlikes. Plenty of people are just too quick or versatile to handle here, although there may be lower level Persona that give her what she needs. May depend on what level of resists something like Scatach has.
...into the nightfall.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:48 AM »
Aigis 1- 3.4. Respect fell a little overall, I think. Orgia Mode...well, it's like Shinjiro's PC against healers really (Except she doesn't even the option of 2HKOing normal ever). She three turns either way. Granted, she can buff attack, then PC, and then borderline OHKO, I think. If the evasion buffs ends up awesome, she would move up.

Rakakaja + Orgia Mode God Hand should OHKO, though not by a whole lot.  Something like 105-110% PCHP IIRC.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »

I'm... not sure it even does.  I believe I've seen Nyx take down Moonless Gown and put it back up in the same turn.

He can. It's quite irritating.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
I've still got a month left in the game, which I totally got out of the groove of when I went away for 5 days. Praise my attention span.

Anyways, I guess I can comment on all the PCs and Chidori though. As in, I'd rank all of them 'cept for Minato. I'd see him merely as a "get a turn and win" Godlike, just with no more than average speed, but an almost certain win with Armageddon. Maybe guys like Elc and Berle could beat him without OHKO? Bosses who rely on a limited range of attack types can be nulled out pretty easy for their first attack, and then Minato can switch to Lucifer on his turn and Armageddon. He's definitely not unbeatable, regardless, but I think that people will probably give him his initiative, making him totally unbeatable.

Anyways, current impressions of the other PCs.

Yukari - High Light - Speed and damage aren't good, but certainly aren't bad. That durability... kinda is an issue though. Lightning weakness with a somewhat uncommon resist keeps her from being middle, where people will pounce on that durability without any buffing or support spells to prop it up.

Junpei - Middle - Slowish, but the HP, END, High Counter, Marakukaja, and Spring of Life make him... well, quite difficult to kill with physicals, since it's hard to avoid eating at least one of your own attacks. Very few middles will physically 2HKO Junpei, and nulling fire totallly outweighs his wind weakness. However, his damage is subpar unless he wants to eat up his own HP, and his magic isn't very good, so damage keeps him from being any more than middle. Write-up bait.

Akihiko - Middle or High Middle - The rank is because the jury is still out on Hit/Evasion in P3. Pretty average statistically, with a borderline 2HKO. Ice weakness and Lightning null even out, and he still loses to Jade. Healing and debuffs allow him to play around with different strategies, depending on how good Masukunda actually is. Fist Master even gives him a decent basic physical, giving him a little versatility to work with.

Mitsuru - High Middle - Crappy END, ice reliance, and fire weakness are pretty much all you can hold against her. And her crappy physical, but with Ice Break, Mind Charge, and gamebest damage - a solid 2HKO for those who she doesn't have to Break - she's doing a good job of killing people pretty dead. Diarahan gives her extra room to work with her extra spells, and at least she nulls ice to make up for the weakness... sort of.

Fuuka - Puny (DNR) - Doesn't... actually fight. Jogurt like fail if she did.

Aigis - High Middle or Low Heavy - Still need to play The Answer. Based on The Journey... well, she's got an excellent HP/END combo with Dispel and some solid buffing, again with the questions on evasion here. Another full healer in the cast, with a solid physical 2HKO if she uses Orgia Mode, maybe even OHKOing the particularly frail with God's Hand. Lightning weakness definitely holds her back though.

Koromaru - Middle - HP and speed are his only noteworthy stats, but it works well with High Counter to keep him going for a long time. Nulls two elements, including fire, with an obscure weakness. Fire Break makes his solid damage from Agidyne a little more viable, since resisting it only buys you an extra turn, but Koro-chan really wishes his ID was more accurate, though the speed and HP help with that too. Bonus match bait involving Suikodogs.

Ken - High Middle - Decent ID, full healing, and a hard weakness to exploit. Damage isn't all that great, unfortunately, and his magic damage is common, something that the entire cast has had to deal with. And he lacks the requisite break spell, much like Akihiko, though his physical is better anyways. So, he's the cast ID whore, and we've seen how far that gets people *coughNina2cough*.

Shinjiro - Low Heavy? - I'd like to see him as he is when he leaves the party... anyways, scaled to endgame as he is in the stat topic, he's pretty mean. HP is nothing special but he's got good END, with the same pairing of High Counter and regen that Junpei had. Doesn't null anything, but the lack of a weakness probably makes it a good thing, and a Power Charged God's Hand can OHKO with a vengeance, with Regenerate 2 softening the impact on his HP. Wishes he had magic though.

And the only boss I've seen the votable form of is Chidori... Jin and Takaya 1 are pretty sad compared to endgame, it looks like.

Chidori - Low Light/Puny - She takes hits like Euram, only probably worse, and Spring of Life doesn't do a whole lot for her. The damage is barely even there as well. However! The fire, dark, or light reliant can't touch her, so she spoils Rubicant and Zio! And any purely physical fighters who let her survive below half HP (they exist in light, especially fire mages forced to use physicals) lose instantly to Tetrakarn! GO FORTH AND CHAMP LIGHT IN THE NAME OF GOTHIC LOLITAS!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:39:51 PM by Ultradude »
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
Anyways, I guess I can comment on all the PCs and Chidori though. As in, I'd rank all of them 'cept for Minato. I'd see him merely as a "get a turn and win" Godlike, just with no more than average speed, but an almost certain win with Armageddon. Maybe guys like Elc and Berle could beat him without OHKO? Bosses who rely on a limited range of attack types can be nulled out pretty easy for their first attack, and then Minato can switch to Lucifer on his turn and Armageddon. He's definitely not unbeatable, regardless, but I think that people will probably give him his initiative, making him totally unbeatable.

Okay.  Hyping Minato as "never above average speed" but then hyping other people as having different speed stats is just dumb.  Even if you don't allow the initiative, Minato can equip a high speed Persona, get a quicker turn, and then hit with Armagedon.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
Okay, well forgot about that admittedly >_> They seemed to have some effect on whether your party members went before enemies or not, since I seem to recall Koromaru never ever being beaten by enemies when in the second slot, as opposed to Junpei being beaten out at times, but the spread is small enough that it probably wasn't worth mentioning. I think Loki had really high Agi?

Granted, that could have all been my imagination/strange coincidences, since I didn't use Koromaru very much. Still, I could also be inclined to say that the way Minato's first turn comes means that he is, by default, either initiative or dead average since even if it does have an effect on the rest of the party it doesn't affect when he goes (though that may just be based on the fact that I never sent my teammates off on their own and then joined in).
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »
Okay, well forgot about that admittedly >_> They seemed to have some effect on whether your party members went before enemies or not, since I seem to recall Koromaru never ever being beaten by enemies when in the second slot, as opposed to Junpei being beaten out at times, but the spread is small enough that it probably wasn't worth mentioning. I think Loki had really high Agi?

Granted, that could have all been my imagination/strange coincidences, since I didn't use Koromaru very much. Still, I could also be inclined to say that the way Minato's first turn comes means that he is, by default, either initiative or dead average since even if it does have an effect on the rest of the party it doesn't affect when he goes (though that may just be based on the fact that I never sent my teammates off on their own and then joined in).

So...

Minato is average speed because he has initiative?

Is that what you're saying?

That doesn't make sense at all.

---

Anyways, Minato gets initiative in boss fights as well, and neither he or the enemy is "attacking" on the field.  And when the team is ambushed by a shadow?  The shadows all get a free turn, and then *GASP* Minato goes first each round.

To be honest, all this "Minato doesn't get initiative" stuff seems like a poor excuse to nerf him.  He clearly gets initiative in-game.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
Not far enough to intelligently rank the cast yet, but do want to second Tal here.  Minato goes first every turn, before enemies and other PCs, unless the enemy ambushes you and thus gets a free turn.  If you ambush, Minato similarly will always act before the rest of the party.  It's initiative.  If you want to say it loses to other initiative (a fair argument) that's cool, but...
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
I'll agree that it's pretty much just a vain attempt at making him not Bluelike. Boss battles and the turn order after an ambush are probably the best proof for him having initiative. Which means that he's not gonna get ranked, not that we haven't passed up a number of mains in the past for similar reasons like Ryu5.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »
I'll agree that it's pretty much just a vain attempt at making him not Bluelike. Boss battles and the turn order after an ambush are probably the best proof for him having initiative. Which means that he's not gonna get ranked, not that we haven't passed up a number of mains in the past for similar reasons like Ryu5.

Well, at least Minato won't have many fans due to the whole not talking/no personality part.  >.>

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 05:31:02 AM »
Crono says hi, Tal.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:37 AM »
Even if Moonless Gown is spammable, it would still get the same treatment as MetaGuard and other invincible moves bosses have.

Minato goes after another PC after he joins the battle if the other PC is attacked first.

I haven't really seen any indication that AGI affects speed in any casually observable manner. If having a level 15 Junpei near endgame didn't change too much, can't imagine AGI has any effect (Not to mention, it's also affecting evasion and accuracy and there's no official mention of it ever effecting AGI) (Assuming high speed persona=high AGI).
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 10:14:13 AM »
All this about Minato having initiative or not is pretty bloody moot. He immunes what his opponent does (its pretty trivial to fuse a Persona that nulls everything/almost everything, really) and THEN hits them with Armageddon, at the worst. Or he uses Status Immunity+Enduring Soul or whatever to ensure he gets a turn. No matter what his enemy does, they are eating 9999 damage.

And this is to say nothing of how nutsy he is even without Armageddon. Minato is a clear DNR. We can leave it at that.

Nyx, too, is a clear DNR. If for nothing other tha plot reasons. Is it Ryoji or Nyx that you fight? An amalgam? Nyx Avatar vs. Nyx disputes? Yeah, no. Moonless Gown and the 12 HP buffered free shots are also a strong lean in the "no" direction. DNR.

We all know neither of them is getting ranked, so lets not dispute it in this topic.

My rankings later, to pacify the OK.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 12:00:44 PM by Cryo »