Author Topic: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Brainstorming Topic!  (Read 142359 times)

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nyarlathotep's Dungeon: Brainstorming Topic!
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
Floor 3 seems like it would be a good time to start learning jobs. I think a fair way to master jobs would be either 2 basic or 1 intermediate or advanced job per floor. With this interpretation the earliest the Hero class can be acquired is floor 8 (mastering Warrior, Fighter, Cleric one other basic class, Paladin, Dragoon, and Godhand is probably the quickest way) which fits with the game pretty well.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »
More people need to play the game but once enough do I think Star Ocean 4's Lymle and Sarah would be interesting choices.

Sarah- Healing, revival and buffs. Lots and lots of healing. Two ST and two MT (three if Faerie Star is included) Two revival spells, one full. ATK buff, DEF buff and a multi stat booster in Angel Feather. Her buffs stack! Sacred Pain nerfs elemental resistances. Wind and Light elemental damage with a pinch of Thunder. She starts with Healing, Faerie Healing, Cure Condition, Enshelter (DEF buff), Radiant Lancer and Lightning Blast irrc. I'll double check on that though.

Lymle- Not as effective as Sarah but a niche healer. Gets ST Healing and MT Faerie Healing early at least. No revival. Silence and Void (basically Dispel) are potentially interesting tricks though! Lymle's main selling point is that she's more of an offensive mage than Sarah yet is still available for healing in a pinch. Starts with Firebolt *and* Healing on F1 and obtains seriously hefty fire damage like Explosion and Trinity Blaze later on. MT Faerie Healing on F2 (only 36% MT healing at max though)
Speciality skills with Cereberus skills. Hatchel Reel is nice early on and Hound Grenade, Scorching Star and Trinity Blaze are all fun. Yes I already mentioned Trinity Blaze ... but it's worth mentioning again! Good times~

Team Ideas - If anyone's having trouble coming up with a team or people just want to look at team ideas in general ... it might be interesting for peeps to post sample concepts of teams and other people can critique and tweak them at their leisure if they want.

Yuri2/Songstress/Eiko/Lucia/??? or Yuri2/Songstress/Eiko/Lucia/???/Nall-

Yuri2, Songstress, Eiko and Lucia was my first/original team. There might have been a fifth but hell if I remember who it was. Yuri, Songstress, Eiko and Lucia exploded when they hit the evil F3 ST with a main issue being that there was confusion over whether or not Yuri had revival at that point. Regardless the floor might have proceeded better if I'd picked the MT version instead.

If I could do it all over again Yuri2/Songstress/Eiko/Lucia/Peppita is an idea.

Energy Charge + Power Dance + Lucia buffs + Might + Yuri assaults = !!!!!

Or you could have Yuri2, Songstress, Eiko, Lucia, a 1.0/0.5 + Nall!

Building on this -

Yuna: Fast, evasive healer with loads of magic defense by the end.  She can null elements for the party (covering for P3/P4 characters especially) and has a generally decent support set.  Getting Holy just makes it that much nastier.

Yuna (3.5), Yosuke (2.0), Teddie (1.5)/???/???-

Yosuke and Teddie are excellent team members with one glaring flaw - their Lightning weakness could knock your team on it's ass! Yuna covers for that with NulShock. Leaving you with a star healer in Teddie who already starts the dungeon with solid MT healing (that is gold for the early floors - maybe even a bit overpowered >_>) and an awesme niche support in Yosuke who enchances the evasive healer to new heights with Sukukaja and nerfs entire enemy groups of their buffs with Dejaka. Later on it becomes even beastlier as your entire team becomes more evasive with Masukukaja. Need to think of more characters that wind up the Masukukaga abuse. Evade hype! Evade hype! Who fits the bill?

Yosuke and Teddie are solid choices for MT wind and ice damage respectively but the team probably needs a physical powerhouse in there somewhere. Even better if said powerhouse is evasive as well damaging!

Any thoughts on those teams?

Edit: (thanks to Nama and Tai)
A-Yuna/Teddie/Yosuke/Fogel or Raquel/Mia - Mia is a fast ATK/DEF buffer (Wind Cane) and brings the fire element to the table. DEF buffs might help vs any attacks that do get through the team's evade.
A-Yuna/Teddie/Yosuke/Fogel or Raquel/Adray - Adray is a third reviver and another w/th MT healing.
A-Yuna/Teddie/Yosuke/Fogel or Raquel/Lucia- Haste (Gale), +50% effect to everything, evade+ buffs of her own - Lucia's buffs stack so evade up from oils + Yosuke's buff = !!!?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:41:40 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
re: Second team--I'm not sure if NulShock is ST or MT, and when it's gained.  This is important, because otherwise Rampage Drive's going to be ripping your team a new one amazingly early with Mazio if P4-style One More!s are applied rather than P3-style(MT triggering it even if the whole party isn't knocked down, as opposed to P3's only triggered by ST).  That aside, disrespect for Teddie SP early, at least for me, is relatively high (Makajas cost 24, Mediarama about...I'd like to say 12, and Mabufula at 16.  Keep in mind that P4 starting SP is in the double-digits).

Lightning weakness for Yosuke's not going away until about Floor 4 or 5 at the earliest, and for Teddie not ever.  Keep that in mind.

For physical types...you have four points left to play with, so keep this in mind.  Ephraim has a respectable combination of damage, durability, and evasion early(gains a weakness on promotion to antihorse weapons, though), and if you're willing to sink most of your points, there's always Orlandu for the obscenely-powerful fighter with lifedrain, MP-busting, and equipment-breaking (Holy Sword skills don't get hype from me for status rates, though it's hard to beat Holy Explosion for raw damage), all of it ITE.  Fogel's gotten hype for what it matters, and Citan is, I must state it, -fast-.  Chie's hypeworthy for a 2.0 later on, with evasion-boosting gear and the awe-inspiring Powercharge->God's Hand (or for MT, Powercharge->Agneyastra).  You might want extra revival, though.  I don't remember if Teddie gets it himself, and even if he does, you may want a third with revival.

Also, insert PS4 hype here.  Rika and Chaz both do respectable damage, Rika gets early ID in addition to her healing, buffs, and physical, but be warned that people here...are tired of seeing Rika.  In particular, Saner hype, and evasion-boost disrespect.  Chaz gets Holy damage early,  some single-target healing, Crosscut is nice as well, and Airslash gives him some MT capability--these take on weapon element as well, and let some weapons either hit weakness or bypass immunities.  And he also gets Rever around Floor...4 or 5, I'd like to say.

Nevermind his acquisition of Explode on Floor 6 and Megid on Floor 7.

[edit]*FACEPALM* Forgot about Raquel.  She's not fast, but she IS stupidly evasive against physicals.  Nevermind her obscene power.  Sounds almost perfectly fitting for what you want, speed aside.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:04:41 PM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Taishyr

« Reply #403 on: August 20, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
The Nul-elements are one of Yuna's skills that I'm about 100% sure is MT (the rest are ST, I'm decently sure?). So it would be able to cover both of them. It's also one of her earliest skills, so having it before Rampage Drive is quite feasible.

EDIT: Actually, she might even start with them. Huhm.

EDIT the 2nd: This being said, all your suggestions are feasible; gut says you really don't want to spend all your points on Rika (having five warm bodies is a useful thing, as it means more targets), but otherwise... A-Yuna/Teddie/Yosuke/Fogel/...Mia? Adray? Would be a fun little team.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:41:12 PM by Taitoro »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 20, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »
Yuna doesn't -start- with the Nuls, but she does get them like two levels into her sphere grid.They are also MT, they'd be worthless otherwise.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Taishyr

« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »
Right, and "levels" are incredibly simple things in FFX relatively, so... yeah, effectively beginning of floor 1 to me.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2009, 08:45:01 PM »
Yuna doesn't -start- with the Nuls, but she does get them like two levels into her sphere grid.They are also MT, they'd be worthless otherwise.

Yuna: Now desirable for NulShock.  Because lightning seems to be the most common weakness by far.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
For all the Nuls she can cover, really, she gets all of them at basically the same time.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:58 PM »
Thanks guys =-)

I'll edit in the suggestions/reasons/teams/sponsors later (probably this weekend, maybe earlier)

Here's a suggestion for Neph -

Meru to 1.0 w/th LoD stat up/down/repeat items (Magic Signet Stone, Material Shield, Speed Up, Power Up, Speed Down, Magic Shield, Power Down, etc)

Our Blue Sea goddess is feeling a bit bad that Sharanda is hogging all the item use when she's equally as capable in game (and will usually be your stat up/down user anyway since she typically goes first) ;p

Pros- The item effects are powerful + acting off Meru's speed to buff herself/allies or stat down enemies.
Especially scary if she uses Speed Up on herself. The Power/Speed down effects even work on bosses.
Cons- Only last for three turns, can only be used one per fight, the better items like Power Up/Down don't come until later. Stat up/downs are ST only. Some of the items *don't* work on bosses.

If you think some of the items are too powerful perhaps limit them to once per floor but still let her start with her dragoon I dunno~

Lucia (SHC) W/th crests (element of choice) - She starts with red/yellow on her default crest irrc but those are support spells only so perhaps an offensive spell from those elements? Or different spells as she progresses through the dungeon (from the player's chosen element)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:32:04 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:44 AM »
DW3, now, would be interesting, but I've no clue how you'd manage a DW3 character in the dungeon unless you just do Sage.

Re Dragon Warrior 3: Well, Sage from the get-go seems like a bad idea to me, it's impossible to have happen in-game.  Probably it'd be better just to give the option of either Wizard->Sage or Pilgrim->Sage, the general combinations used with the Book of Sartori.  Still some playership issues, but at least people who've played one DQ game will have some idea of what the characters can do.  Definitely should be mapped out first, I'd think...  I'd assume the class change to Sage would be at Floor 4, and also temporarily screw up their stats due to going back to level 1?  Seems doable.  Wizard & Pilgrim are both worth about the same amount; Pilgrim's healing and buffs are always handy, while the Wizard is fast (always good in the Dungeon) and gets an ID weapon on floor 2 for breaking up stalls despite being really frail.  Sage is obviously just awesome, though being below average speed means he's only so good in the Dungeon.

Anyway, two random ideas for the Dungeon, one semi-obscure and the other not so much.  Something a bit annoying about Marcus & Athos, the two most blatant "help my back-loaded team get through floors 1-3," is that they actively suck more and more as the floors advance due to the magic of DL scaling.  It's not even that they don't get any new abilities and fall behind as the floors get tougher, it's that they become actively statistically weaker too.  It'd be nice to have more characters who can help early, and while they might not be great later on, they don't tail off as much.  And people with revival early are surprisingly rare.  Hence...

Red XIII (w/ Materia) (Simple version)
Red starts out with the Fire materia attached to All (as in game).  On Floor 2, he gets the Revive, Ice, and Lightning Materias.
* Floor 1: Fire
* Floor 2: Fire2, Ice, Bolt, Life
* Floor 3: Ice2, Bolt2
* Floor 4: Element3 spells
* Floor 5: Life2

Pros: Early reviver.  Very nice magic damage early, hits a number of elements.  Limits are a nice disincentive to attack him.  Above-average speed.
Cons: The magic becomes so-so by Floor 5 and is actively meh by Floor 7, making Red a fighter.  Limited Moon means that spending his MP hurts his damage.  Can't MT his non-Fire damage and MTing Fire hurts effectiveness.

Red isn't great on later floors, but he's still a full-reviver with some cool limits, so he's hardly dead-weight.  2.0 points, maybe?  Those magic spells HURT on Floors 2-4, and having - according to the stat topic - 109% average speed is pretty useful for getting the drop on people.

Alternately:
Red XIII (complex, Cloud-lite version):
Red starts with the Fire materia attached to All on Floor 1.  Every floor afterward, choose one more materia from the following list: Ice / Lightning / Revive / Heal / HP-Plus / MP-Plus.  Red's materia have on each floor AP equal to (insert a chart, so 3000 AP on floor 2, 50000 AP on floor 5, etc. - basically "a reasonable amount of AP for this floor if playing through the game normally and leveling this materia).

This version gets status healing and HP / MP buffing too (Don't laugh at the MP buffing, remember the Limited Moon).  Presumably after floor 7, when all those materia had been picked, he'd rely on the special late floor bonuses instead.  Seems like a 2.5 to me?  The lack of MT and healing means that competing choices like Garnet or DQ4 Hero still have a lot of appeal.

(EDIT: Forgot Red's starting All materia. Knew he had something other than just the Fire.)

---

And for a more obscure idea...  since Yuri1 and Yuri2 already are in the dungeon...  perhaps the option for the Ziggy1 / Ziggy3 team?

Ziggy (Xenosaga III)
Pros: Heat.  Fantastic defense, magic defense, and HP.  Heat.  Keeps boost from battle-to-battle, so might be able to speed himself up in later fights.  Aside from special attacks, great break damage offers a way around stallers.  As a character, stock went up in XS3 where others have gone down.  Even gets Offensive late for team buffing.  Heat.
Cons: Below average speed.  Some bosses in XS3 immune Heat, so bit of an interpretation question on its effectiveness.  Doesn't block many statuses for most of the Dungeon.

Ziggy's pretty cool - everyone's seen the wondrous brokenness of pre-nerf Firefly now, and Heat does the same thing.  This is balanced by Ziggy needing to waste his first turn using Heat, and him being slow.  He also Doesn't Die, which makes Heat work great with him.  Damage is fine too, if not broken or anything.  There's also a pretty cute combo for fights after the first one in a Dungeon - since XS3 boost is like FF7 limits, and stays from battle to battle, Ziggy can boost in after a very fast party member and use Heat early in the round after all.  Pretty cute.

Only problems I see is that XS3 playership is a bit low, and that there's two kinda tricky interpretation questions.  One, in some battles a team with Ziggy will want to leave one person alive, stall, and let Ziggy build up tons of boost for later battles.  People often times forget about this strategy, and moreover, normally irrelevant questions of targeting come to light - do you let bosses attack themselves, for example?  Since the strategy for the Dungeon in such situations would often be to just quickly commit suicide, if allowed, which would prevent Ziggy from farming boost.  The other interp problem is what I mentioned above about Heat - it works on MOST bosses on the game, but not all.  Fully status-immune bosses are more common in other RPGs, though (even though Heat is technically Ziggy's own status?), so does it work there?  Uh, tricky question.  (This would be the advantage of Viking Luneth for a Firefly-replacement - I believe that his Provoke works perfectly on everything.  I know I read a strategy online about defeating FF3DS's superboss via Provoke abuse with a Double-Shield Viking.)

Tentatively, I'd say 2.5 points.  He'd be 3.0 easily if his Heat could be guaranteed to work in all situations.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:36:35 PM by SnowFire »

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 25, 2009, 07:27:54 AM »
Another alternative for a cover role could possibly be Ashley from WA2, he's pretty much handed the Earth rune early game, so I could see him having it until he receives the Hope rune.  He can't really do anything when he chooses to protect people, but he has decent options when he doesn't need to protect people, decent damage and a good bit of it multitarget, even has a lackluster ID trick.  Late game he gets a ridiculous burst attack in full clip.  Also he has ACCESS, even if it's entirely overrated and probably has no practical use in the dungeon outside of stalling oriented teams.  He also has pretty good HP, so he's durable enough for the job, and is not terrible on speed, though not great either.

He's generally balanced by defencer only covering for normal physical attacks, and not special ones.  Lack of resources on his better damage, has to choose which arms he twinks for Full Clip, which could in turn make his none FP ability damage suffer.  Trying to figure out how he sets his arms up in general is probably a bit too headachey.

Would probably make a decent 3.0 pick if there was some guideline for Arm modification.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »
Red could potentially be an interesting addition. I'll have to think about the others though.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »
Edited in some teams. I like the Fogel/Raquel suggestion with Adray/Mia as a supporting unit for the fifth. I've also highlighted Lucia because I might be imagining things but I could swear she has some increase evade buff >_>  Lucia's buffs stack with other buffs so yummy.

Taishyr

« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »
Some other potentials. I'll toss out character/team/sealstone concepts that work well from what I can tell.

Yuna/Demi/Yosuke/Teddie/a 0.5 would make a decently cute team; gets a good mix of physical and magical offense, a lot of healing, and a wide selection of buffs. Teddie's also the only one of the three who starts slowish. Toss in Rena and give her the Life sealstone until Yosuke's healing falls off, and lategame you have five revivers who all have something else to bring to the table. Demi/Yosuke/Teddie combined offense is also pretty shiny, and Yuna adds into it pretty well lategame.

Dropping Teddie (since his lightning weakness makes Yuna still cover for him even after floor 4 or so; not terrible but might be worth keeping in mind), Tia gets revival through Rally and fairly solid spell selection overall. Faster, but frailer than Teddie; still might be worthwhile. Naoto (fast ID and some MT damage, you have enough healing to not need it here) or Eiko (summons and status, Phoenix is another MT revival source if needed IIRC) might also work.

----------------------

Carlie! Yes, she starts slow, having only healing (good healing, but) and status healing. Toss Life Sealstone on her, however, and you've got a ST reviver on the early floors, and if she keeps the sealstone that becomes MT revival floor 3. Since she wants summon damage in the DL and Dungeon both, she gets good offense magic to pair with that healing, and as a reminder that healing is -fast-.

Purim also benefits, since Dryad's late; 2 MP MT revival's pretty hard to beat, especially paired with another healer.

Rena also benefits, since she gets tons of resources but her healing isn't generally seen as that great. Once she gets the MT stuff she becomes pretty brutal thanks to Life.

Rikku gets MT status healing plus some kinda iffy healing! Life. Moulder's a healbot 0.5! Life. Crowley's L4 (gotten around floor 4) is MT damage AND healing! Life.

Life's really a sealstone I recommend more people look at - it gives people with subpar/plentiful healing revival, and that really can't be underestimated. Yes, 1 HP is kinda painful - but it's still one more target they have to deal with. (It does do best when you have a lot of other healers, but.)

----------

Speed? is a good sealstone for slow people that only need one move to make an impact. Raja gets 100% Silence and MP healing - a pretty solid choice. FF5 Chemist becomes above average speed - enough to beat out a lot of ARPG/VP/FE characters by common interps (and, since the speed bump isn't that dramatic, he suffers less from the drawback). Cecilia, ditto, and later on a somewhat fast cast of Hi-Prison solves multiple fights. BoF2 Jean would be an amusing user of it, too - once he actually picks up Death, that is. Until then, you'd want someone else carrying it - perhaps someone slowish early on who speeds up as the game progresses. Same could kinda apply to Nina except Deis2's worth the 1.5 points more to take over Nina2 if you're going that route.

----------

Resourceless. As it stands, this greatly helps Suiko people. Geddoe/Chris/Hugo/Sasarai/earlygame Eileen/Hellion/Crowley all cheer for how this gives them a shot of their L4s early on, Chris's resources are kinda bad, Sasarai gets two runes, so those two are who I'd put highest in the running for this.

Magus also has resource woes, especially early on. This lets him utilize his MT damage off his MAG pretty ruthlessly. Would pair well with, again, Geddoe/Chris/Hugo, who can still use the sealstone later on after Magus' resources stabilize some. (He still has resource issues for a while, though. 8 MP for his cheapest spell is eeeeeeeh, he doesn't last long at all in stall fights.)

That's all for now. Maybe this'll get people using some of the less-chosen options!

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
One person who coule really use the life sealstone well is Cecil. He's fast and durable and at about the middle of the game his healing gets so bad that the penalty isn't much of a factor.

Taishyr

« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
Right, forgot Cecil. Yeah, he makes a good use of it (though excuse me if my brain takes a minute to wrap around Cecil being fast); having bad, MTable healing is quite nice for it. Gets Life later, IIRC? But even then he might still just want the sealstone, yep.

Bardiche

« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
Geddoe/Chris/Hugo/Sasarai/earlygame Eileen/Hellion/Crowley all cheer for how this gives them a shot of their L4s early on, Chris's resources are kinda bad, Sasarai gets two runes, so those two are who I'd put highest in the running for this.

They only get to use L4 charges when they gain them, but yeah, it'd let them spam L4 charges once each fight.

Larsa can also be used with the Life sealstone, although Mulder is probably a better use of it.

Sasarai can also use it off of his L2 MT Healing for the Flowing Rune. It says the healnig is Full, but wasn't it just a ridiculously high amount?

Nina1 can Initiative Revive with the sealstone.

Aeris with Violent Burst Law would be interesting. VBL probably synergises best with a team built around limits, though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:36:22 PM by Bardiche »

Taishyr

« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »
For Life healing and Multitarget reduction, I presume any healing/status odds/effects cap at 100% and then halve. So Sasarai's L2 MT Healing would be 50% + 1 HP revival to me.

And ah, I misinterpreted the Resourceless, then. It causes my head pain. Chris then becomes unimpressive as a user, as she doesn't ever get a L4 charge to use with it.

Larsa'd be better on certain teams, but yeah, Moulder seems better as a ST user.

Aeris with VBL is nice. Note Snow's team, though - I think that that design's a bit more optimal for VBL use, despite only one person benefiting.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Problem with having an entire team reliant on FF7/Lufia 2 limit gauges with VBL is that you're using those on an essentially OPF basis - and FF7 limits can actually be used on a more consistent basis during a dungeon floor, along with forcing enemies to dance around limit ranges. VBL is poor on those because the strategical benefits you'd get from the limit threat go poof. If you're using VBL, you most likely want to use it on people who benefit from full gauges in ways that aren't exploding the zomg limit immediately and then failing. WA2-3 PCs benefit from that a lot due to higher accessibility for their skillsets (and, in the case of WA3, notably enhanced damage and durability). Raquel could also make good use of that ability with strategic Intrude usage between fights. Alternatively, she can pretty much lolohko one given fight in a floor while still being able to provide her offense past that, although she's not as awesome on pure stalling fights this way. Still gets an overall benefit with the right strategies.

EDIT: Also, Cecil stops being fast once he turns Paladin. May still be above average until Kain joins, but he's like average speed at endgame. FF4DS Cecil is actually sorta slow at endgame to boot.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:01:00 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2009, 03:46:39 AM »
Noting that non-4/XF WA PCs get the drawback of VBL being less and less effective the later in you get, due to starting FP being connected to level.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2009, 04:38:08 AM »
It's not terribly relevant to either, given how WA3 endgame levels are 55 and WA2 endgame levels are 45.

Taishyr

« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »
WA3 at least still sees quite a noticeable bump and WA2 can use its more expensive skills without stress, yeah. You just can't hype it -as much-. Some? Sure! >_>

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2009, 04:49:30 AM »
It's too bad that, by my reading of VBL, Aeris can't use her limit-refilling level 2 to restore everyone else's special meter since apparently nothing works at restoring it.  That'd be really cute if it did.

Also, re FP, don't forget that the later floors wander into the post game, so I'd certainly see a normal WA2-3 character as having 80-100 FP anyway on Floor 10.  But having that immediate 100 FP is still probably worth it for the early floors.

Also, a mild vote against the Ashley idea just because DL Ashely is rather different than in-game Ashley.  Personally, I think I used Ashely's ARMs maybe twice total in game, since I just waited a bit with WA2's fast FP growth and got KnightBlazer instead.  A bit selfish since I'm sure others did use Ashley's ARMs, I'll grant.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2009, 04:58:33 AM »
It's too bad that, by my reading of VBL, Aeris can't use her limit-refilling level 2 to restore everyone else's special meter since apparently nothing works at restoring it.  That'd be really cute if it did.

Also, re FP, don't forget that the later floors wander into the post game, so I'd certainly see a normal WA2-3 character as having 80-100 FP anyway on Floor 10.  But having that immediate 100 FP is still probably worth it for the early floors.

Also, a mild vote against the Ashley idea just because DL Ashely is rather different than in-game Ashley.  Personally, I think I used Ashely's ARMs maybe twice total in game, since I just waited a bit with WA2's fast FP growth and got KnightBlazer instead.  A bit selfish since I'm sure others did use Ashley's ARMs, I'll grant.

Considering how badly KnightBlazer fails for efficiency, I'd actually say that DL Ashley's transition is rather accurate for what he should do in-game (honestly, 100 FP that forces you to build it back all the way for his damage to impress sucks in-game no matter what, most WA2 bosses are freaking frail. You have to honestly dick around to get KnightBlazer outside the few early fights or the aftergame shenanigans) - and, before FullClip, Ashley honestly underwhelmed anyway. KnightBlazer was more of an aftergame boss thing. EDIT: I'd say no to Dungeon Ashley due to the fact that, besides him being sort of a waste of space without the Medium gimmickry, the last thing I'd want is a Firefly variant, though.

And yeah, floor 10 VBL would be pretty useless. But I'm soooooooooo not banking my chances on making it that far.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:52:27 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Bardiche

« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »
I was thinking, maybe a Wild ARMs XF character with full class and skill access (over time) would work nicely as a 4.0 pick? Some of the WAXF classes have stupidly awesome skills that could benefit particular strategies.

Just not sure who'd be ideal for it. Almost want to say Alexia for Initiative everything.