Author Topic: Disgaea DS  (Read 6288 times)

Fire Lord

• New User
  • Roasting marshmallows the fun way.
    • View Profile
    • Academy of Martial Arts
Disgaea DS
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTaEf9OMeZY

A remake of Disgaea, but I still can't wait for portable awesome!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disgaea DS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
Huh, they're bringing it to the DS too? I already picked up Afternoon of Darkness awhile ago, so I'll pass on this one. Still, wonder what kind of exclusive features the DS version is getting?
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
Port of a port.  Yeah, no.  If you've never played Disgaea before, get it.  Otherwise, pass.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:14 AM »
Huh, they're bringing it to the DS too? I already picked up Afternoon of Darkness awhile ago, so I'll pass on this one. Still, wonder what kind of exclusive features the DS version is getting?

PC PLENAIR!!111

I don't remember if there was other stuff.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:52:25 AM »
So finally you can enjoy horrible early 90's SRPG gameplay on the go! No, wait, Hoshigami DS already exists.

But hey, now you can get it in a game that also lets you grind endlessly.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Horribly watered down. New PCs doesn't even do it justice, I can't believe I tried that tripe.

I already have the November 2006 ed of PSP Disgaea anyway.

PC PLENAIR!!111

I don't remember if there was other stuff.

PC BOOK ZETTA!!!111one
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
Well, at least the Nintendo handhelds have a SRPG to clean up after Fire Emblem's suck. I'll probably pass on it unless it's very upgraded, since I did grab Afternoon of Darkness and barely got into it.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »
Horribly watered down. New PCs doesn't even do it justice, I can't believe I tried that tripe.

Watered down... IN GRAPHICS???  Wah.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
Well, at least the Nintendo handhelds have a SRPG to clean up after Fire Emblem's suck. I'll probably pass on it unless it's very upgraded, since I did grab Afternoon of Darkness and barely got into it.

I laughed.  At least the DS has Rebelstar Tactical Command by proxy of it being a GBA game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »

DS has lots of SRPGs.  Almost too many.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »
For those of us that -liked- N1 gameplay for whatever reason, Disgaea DS is essentially more of the same. Not surprisingly since it -is- a port. It's a solid game and generally pretty funny and lighthearted. Stands out over a lot of other DS options, and is probably the reason why America has seen as many SRPGs as it has. *shrugs* It'll be cheap in a few weeks if nothing else and it's great if you've been wanting to play Disgaea and didn't want to shell out the cash for a PS2/PSP copy.

PC Book Zetta? That almost tempts me to play it, actually...

But yeah, N1 fan here.

-Djinn

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »
As a fan you could I dunno, demand new content or games?  The rate of ports for it has reached FF4 level and that is pretty bad.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 03:27:03 AM »
PS2, PSP, DS.

That's not... that many ports? PSP and DS are both recent-ish too, so it feels more like the game was trying to be accessible to people who only had one or the other, not to try to get gamers to buy both...

-Djinn

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:47:03 AM »
and is probably the reason why America has seen as many SRPGs as it has

While I'm not going to attack Disgaea itself at this point (tempting though that is <_<), this particular statement is just wrong. Both FFT and Fire Emblem 7 had over double its sales for starters, so at the very least they did a lot more to further SRPGs outside Japan. I'd definitely say that FFT's success is the biggest reason, since after it came out games like Vandal Hearts and Arc the Lad started getting brought over which you probably would never have seen previously.

Though more realistically it probably all traces back to FF7, since that alone opened the RPG floodgate and probably brought SRPGs with it (large fanbase overlap, as the DL proves). FFT just happened to be the first post-FF7, not to mention it had the name Final Fantasy on it and all that.

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 04:06:07 AM »
The point I was trying to make was that Disgaea garnered a lot of attention as a 'sleeper hit' when it first came out and shortly afterwards, a much larger number of SRPGs began to be released. It's obviously not the only reason, and perhaps FFT is a bigger reason in the long run, but certainly Disgaea has had an impact worth mentioning.

-Djinn

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 04:09:26 AM »
I dunno, FFT didn't... really make its splash when it came out.  It was just persistant and over time word did get around.  Despite the sales I don't think it's so far-fetched to say that Disgaea brought the genre into the spotlight, although at the same time I think the proliferation of them was just... a strange trend in the community, not really a response to the success of any one game.

But that's just my memory of events.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 04:14:31 AM »
Disgaea's sleeper hit success brought Nippon Ichi into the spotlight, not the SRPG genre, is my kneejerk.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 05:38:51 AM »
Disgaea being a sleeper (I'm not even sure it deserves that title, but whatever) is a bigger deal on the ethers of the internet than it is to the gaming executives who make the decisions of whether to bring the game over or not. And trust me, those executives aren't going to base important decisions around a game that struggled to break 6 digit sales. They'll look at the one that sold half a million.

And even if you don't believe that, there's the facts. The SRPG rush clearly, clearly started in the PSX era, before Disgaea.

Arc the Lad, Fire Emblem, Vandal Hearts, Brigandine, Front Mission, Kartia, Hoshigami (argh)... uh, none of these have a chance of coming out if not for FFT, except Fire Emblem, which needed Smash Bros. Melee, though I dunno if Nintendo would have the guts to bring it over if not for FFT either. All predate Disgaea.

I don't recall Disgaea having that sort of effect on anything except other N1 games. Other SRPGs that have come over recently...

-Fire Emblem series coasts on the fact that FE itself has been a success, obviously. Same goes for any other sequels still appearing.
-Wild Arms XF came over because XSeed is quite happy bringing across that series and accepting the low but reliable niche sales.
-Similarly, Suikoden Tactics came over because Suikoden games proved financially viable. The very fact that the name was changed from Rhapsodia to "Suikoden Tactics" for North America is ample proof of the two influences the marketing boys were trying to sell the game with.
-Games like Rondo of Swords and Jeanne D'Arc... I assume draw largely from FFTA and Fire Emblem, two of the biggest GBA titles, which proved that portables and SRPGs are a good mix (I've seen casual gaming media comment on the influence of those creating the portable SRPG market). They certainly didn't need Disgaea PSP to light the way.

I'm really not seeing it at all.

Maybe.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 05:43:18 AM »
Disgaea's sleeper hit success brought Nippon Ichi into the spotlight, not the SRPG genre, is my kneejerk.

This.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 06:19:58 AM »
And before FFT, there were several Shining Force games released, Ogre Battle series made its way over the ocean, and even failures like Langrisser got over here.

FFT certainly helped bolster the sales of the SRPGs that followed, but there were already companies that were taking chances on SRPGs before the PSX era. Once the PSX era hit, more companies took chances and FFT breathed some life into the genre.

By the PS2 era, many reviewers acclaimed Disgaea for doing the same thing for SRPGs. The fact that it's the one of the only PS2 SRPGs to get a rerelease should say something. After Disgaea, the deluge of SRPGs far outstripped the 6 titles listed in Elf's post. You could argue that it was Fire Emblem's influence rather than Disgaea's influence which caused this, but that's probably a stretch given PS2 > GBA at the time.

Hell, the fact that we ranked Disgaea and pretty much no other PS2 SRPG should say something about its popularity? Especially given that SRPGs are such a niche crowd in the first place, it's pretty easy to see how one game could set a trend for the whole genre. *shrugs*

-Djinn

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 06:32:54 AM »
And before FFT, there were several Shining Force games released, Ogre Battle series made its way over the ocean, and even failures like Langrisser got over here.

Yet, they had no influence on bringing more SRPGs overall to the States. Ogre Battle flopped hard enough for TO to not be bothered with localization-wise until the highly limited PSX rerelease, which was hilariously niche anyway (and its localization certainly wouldn't have happened without FFT, by the way). Langrisser was - and still is - a highly irrelevant release.

By the PS2 era, many reviewers acclaimed Disgaea for doing the same thing for SRPGs.

Those reviewers are full of crap. SRPGs had gotten steady as a profitable enough genre long before Disgaea. We had FFT, we had FFTA, and a fair amount of other PSX SRPGs that were brought by virtue of the RPG flood back in '97.

The fact that it's the one of the only PS2 SRPGs to get a rerelease should say something. After Disgaea, the deluge of SRPGs far outstripped the 6 titles listed in Elf's post. You could argue that it was Fire Emblem's influence rather than Disgaea's influence which caused this, but that's probably a stretch given PS2 > GBA at the time.

No, it really doesn't. FFT also got a Greatest Hits rerelease. This is because it sold well. So did Disgaea. That other SRPGs didn't get rereleases says more about SRPGs being niche -anyway-, and FFT also got that rerelease far before Disgaea even began squittling down. Disgaea making it big in the States brought NIPPON ICHI to the spotlight, which meant they started localizing Nippon Ichi's games a lot more. Nippon Ichi just -happens to specialize in SRPGs-. I know that, given your rampant fangirlism, distinguishing between a company and an entire niche might be slightly hard, but you're seeing the petals for the garden here.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:38:34 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 06:39:42 AM »

Langrisser is NOT failure. Fine Langrisser III might be, but that is an exception!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 06:40:25 AM »

Langrisser is NOT failure. Fine Langrisser III might be, but that is an exception!!!

In fairness, Warsong blows. >_> Langrisser 2 is fine!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »
I know that, given your rampant fangirlism, distinguishing between a company and an entire niche might be slightly hard, but you're seeing the petals for the garden here.

Yes, of course. Just because I like the game, it means that my views on the subject are irrelevant. I see that now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 06:50:47 AM »
I know that, given your rampant fangirlism, distinguishing between a company and an entire niche might be slightly hard, but you're seeing the petals for the garden here.

Yes, of course. Just because I like the game, it means that my views on the subject are irrelevant. I see that now.

What it actually means is that you're overrating its effect on the industry. As I said, you're seeing the fact that N1 games actually got more attention and you're saying that the effect sprawls to an entire genre.