imageRegister

Author Topic: Plot Power Tourney, Week 2  (Read 4722 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Plot Power Tourney, Week 2
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 12:21:58 AM »
This closes in about 12 hours, get your votes while they count!

Y'know, I -wanted- to say 'this closes tomorrow', but I'm starting to realize time differences now that I live in a different country than the majority of the DL....

-Djinn

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 04:25:01 AM »
Godlike:
Indalecio (SO2) vs. Etna (Dis): I'm taking Etna's power with a bit of a grain of salt given the nature of Disgaea and its tongue and cheekness; Indalecio coming from a serious setting as such gives him the edge.
Siegfried (WA1,3) vs. Mithos Yggdrasil (ToS): Siggy is *NOT* a Plot Godlike.  WA3 goes out of its way to indicate he's not this invincible warrior (Maya holds up well against him, if ultimately losing for example), and he's not even the strongest Quarter Knight in WA1 (the game states Berserk is the most powerful outright, Siggy's just the leader.)
Wiegraf/Velius (FFT) vs. Lady (SH3): Whatever.
Feena (G1) vs. Ashley Winchester (WA2): I'm assuming Sword Saint powers allowed him which...uh, yeah, kind of crush Feena.  Feena's power isn't much in Godlike anyway.  Leena, whose probably more powerful showed one instance of immense power and...it pretty much killed her (then she was Deus Ex Machinaed back to life); having to sacrifice yourself for immense power doesn't really help much.

Heavy:
Ziggurat 8 (XS) vs. Hector (FE7): Armads is about the only thing he has going for him; flipside, XS does hype Ziggy to some extent, saying his Cyborgness makes him bad ass.
Randi (SoM) vs. Lenna (FF5): GOing with Crystals > Mana Sword for now.  Neither are heavy to me, since its all "CHOSEN WARRIORS!" but that's about it.
Maria Traydor (SO3) vs. Emeralda (XG): CK's logic works for me.  Maria's Power is kind of worthless in that regard outside of the Eternal SPhere; her power outside the Eternal Sphere was letting the party actually exist as though they were reality, and not holograms, from what I understand (while Fayt's Power let them stand up to the Executioners where warships were being obliterated, I wanna say?)  That...doesn't really do a lot against a nanomachine killing...uh...machine.
Irvine Kinneas (FF8) vs. Cherenkov (XS): What is Irvine doing in Heavy?  Yeah, Sniper...but it kind of ends there.  Fuck, I'd struggle to put Squall in Heavy and he's about the best of SeeD you'll get and they're elite mercenaries, fuck if Irvine gets that high.  Flipside, Cherenkov has shown some impressive display of powers that'd be enough to kill someone like Irvine.

Middle:
Minsc (BGs) vs. Zhuzhen (SH): The Hamster is the tie break *nods*
Kevin (SD3) vs. Kimahri Ronso (FFX): Ok, this is just O_o.  Irvine gets Heavy but Kevin gets Middle?  Even though Kevin is...suppose to be like the strongest warrior of the entire Beast Kingdom with the exception of his father?  A Kingdom known to be filled with bad asses and all that?  And Kimhari's no slouch either...both would lose to Cherenkov admittedly, but point is, this is kind of weird.  Anyway, Kimhari's strong but how strong is up to debate; Kevin's suppose to be incredibly bad ass once he gets past his pacifistic tendencies (which he does in game.)
Arche Klein (ToP) vs. Zahaak (S5): Arche is a Plot Heavy.  ToP goes out of its way to say Half Elves are bad ass and its cause their power is so frightful that they were banned from Ymir.
Rico Banderas (XG) vs. Raine Sage (ToS): If nothing else, Rico is built for fighting, Raine is not.  Half Elves in ToS weren't hyped the same way as ToP Half Elves, so Raine doesn't benefit in that way.

Light:
Banon (FF6) vs. Charmles (DQ8): Banon is leader of the Returners, admittedly, this is mostly cause of leadership skills and has nothing to do with fighting...but for fucks sake, its enough to beat Charmles, I'm sure of THAT much.
Mogu (BoF) vs. Scarlet (FF7): Mogu is a warrior, Scarlet is not; yeah, that works.
Roger S. Huxley (SO3) vs. Edward (FF4): Edward is a total pansy; adventurous kid > Bard who angsts and can barely fend for himself.
Serra (FE7) vs. Healie (DW4): ...well, at least this entire field looks like Light <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 04:49:50 AM »
Middle:
Arche Klein (ToP) vs. Zahaak (S5) - You are all forgeting two simple things people. 1 Zahaak is a brilliant tactician. 2 He has the power of drugs on his side.

Brilliant tactician I'll argue. As I said, he seemed to prove more that he was cruel then competent. Also, power of drugs? If he ODs on that stuff to the point where it would let him with a fight, Arche just flies out of his reach until he drops dead from it. <_<

Hell, unless I'm seriously misremembering S5, Zahak is not one of the Queen's Knights who got hype for magic, and plotwise anyone without ranged options vs. Arche is just shit out of luck. Flying mages are cheesy like that, just ask any D&D player.

I was joking on point 1 but you can argue it the other way. He made a stupid move in that battle but I remember him doing it for a reason. Something about stoping the Prince following him or taking them out with the city I can't quite remember but those tactics aren't unheard of. Zahak doesn't pass as incompetent to me because while he isn't hyped in magic he is hyped for having been one of the best knights in the Falena - armes war. He simply did not care for the peoples lives and that is a sign of cruelty not incompentance.

The main reason I voted for him was because the drugs do have some good plot behind them. The whole inhumen speed and strength did it for me.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
Every one who takes those drugs gets wtfpwned after an easy fight. I'm not really sold on their hype. And arguably they can't be used to win, anyway - they really only do any good if you're fighting for a greater good, which you're... not, really, in a duel-type setting.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
Indalecio (SO2) vs. Etna (Dis)
Other parts of the universe can smack Etna around, while Indy can manage to destroy the universe.

Siegfried (WA1,3) vs. Mithos Yggdrasil (ToS)
Succeeds for a few millenia.

Wiegraf/Velius (FFT) vs. Lady (SH3)
I tend to respect the Lucavi more than Malice and SH summoning.

Feena (G1) vs. Ashley Winchester (WA2)
Ashley's plot power is caught in inner conflict, Feena's is just pure plot BS.

Heavy:
Ziggurat 8 (XS) vs. Hector (FE7)
Lordly breeding in a fantasy setting makes up for the cybernetic implants.  And a magical weapon makes up for technology, which just leaves you with undying determination vs. a submerged death wish.

Randi (SoM) vs. Lenna (FF5)
Has minor Sue Powers which Randi lacks.

Maria Traydor (SO3) vs. Emeralda (XG)
Mostly just because of the greater plot power of her setting.  I mean, did Chu-Chu die for Maria's sins?

Irvine Kinneas (FF8) vs. Cherenkov (XS)
Internally consistant.  Also, becomes a mutated freak of awesome.

Middle:
Minsc (BGs) vs. Zhuzhen (SH)
D&D Fighters lack plot power.

Kevin (SD3) vs. Kimahri Ronso (FFX)
Actually somewhat respected by his homeland, and his homeland is respected among the nations.

Arche Klein (ToP) vs. Zahaak (S5)
Mages tend to be a little bit more respected where she's from than assassins where Zahaak's from.  Also, he has a nasty tendancy to lose.

Rico Banderas (XG) vs. Raine Sage (ToS)
Can fight, lead, and think.

Light:
Banon (FF6) vs. Charmles (DQ8)
Can fight, lead, and think.

Mogu (BoF) vs. Scarlet (FF7)
If bitchslapping doesn't work, just call in a small army or a few giant mechs.

Roger S. Huxley (SO3) vs. Edward (FF4)
If nothing else, runs a kingdom, might have an army, and knows enough to let other people do the fighting for him.

Serra (FE7) vs. Healie (DW4)
With her pushy nature, she's totally gonna get Healie to start healing things in combat for her.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
Flipside, Cherenkov has shown some impressive display of powers that'd be enough to kill someone like Irvine.

For the fourth time, when did he do that? I only remember him being hard to brain-wipe and then turning in to a Gnosis. I'm really trying to remember here.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Flipside, Cherenkov has shown some impressive display of powers that'd be enough to kill someone like Irvine.

For the fourth time, when did he do that? I only remember him being hard to brain-wipe and then turning in to a Gnosis. I'm really trying to remember here.

The flash back where he kills a squad of soldier? Assuming that is equivalent to a Irvine?

(while Fayt's Power let them stand up to the Executioners where warships were being obliterated, I wanna say?)

Fate's power outside Eternal Sphere allows to them to become congruent with the physical law of the reality. basically, Maria's power gives them a form, and Fate's power allows them to act. They are so powerful within Eternal Sphere simply because they... well are computer bugs, and crushing the system somewhat thus lead to those effects.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »

Flashback stuff mostly.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...