Author Topic: Anony Sci-Fi Mafia - Game Over  (Read 28597 times)

Nimitz

• Psychic Spacecat
  • Denizen
  • I see you like Suikoden!
    • View Profile
Re: Anony Sci-Fi Mafia - Begin the game proper
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »
Very well, Gandalf.  We shall leave this to you, and the burden of a successful end of the day shall rest on your shoulders.

As to your query, our issue with you is that your concern lies less with a feeling of having failed the alliance, for how can being a font of discussion be a failing for those under the allied banner, but in instead being under suspicion and potentially having courted death.  These are not befitting traits in an ally, and suggest that it is not discussion you seek, but instead survival, a trait often linked to cowardly Havenite scum.

Your renewed curiosity speaks well for you, but cannot erase the doubts caused by your initial behaviour.

Edit: Greetings Andrew of the Rogues.  Have you, also forgotten to don your mask?
Be afraid of Psychic Cats.

Mr. Miyagi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »
....... John Freeman does not know what to say about this game.

John Freeman wonders where his words have been unclear, save for light roleplaying which everyone has engaged in.  Ask John Freeman and he will clarify.  Also less RP from here on, okay.

John Freeman continues to feel strong townie vibes in every post Gandalf makes and thinks the case against him is trumped up.  John Freeman also has big vibes of suspicion from Terminator and Nimitz before even realizing they are the two on Gandalf.  However, John Freeman also does not feel good about Jabba, Windu or Rincewind, especially Windu for his attitude. 

John Freeman cannot know the proper course of action until the mod resolves the non-anonymous post but supports lynching either Windu or possibly turning to Nimitz.

Gandalf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2008, 10:55:56 PM »
While paying undue ignorance to the present two messages from colleagues, I'd like to pose another question.

Given the current... Revelation of identity, and looming threat of a so-called modkill, would people still wish for me to deliver death unto Mace Windu ere it is too late?

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2008, 11:16:32 PM »
First topic:

John Freeman: I find your "RP" entertaining (insofar as I am capable of appreciating human behavior in this manner) and have had no difficulty in discerning your true meaning despite the presence of "fluff." It is unfortunate that others cannot understand your speech however it may be best to speak plainly if that is the case.

Proceeding to second topic:

I take issue with Rincewind's recent statement and wish to note this for the record in case his lapse in anonymity does not result in his termination by the construct known as GLaDOS. He suggests that Gandalf was "intending to hamper discussion" with his opposition to the witch. I fault his logic. No one in a situation such as ours genuinely intends to hamper discussion with their actions. Having infiltrated a group of humans the T-1000's best course of action is to mimic them in every way possible and gain their trust. Deliberately curtailing conversation runs directly counter to this goal and is not sensible. The fact of Rincewind suggesting this as Gandalf's motivation causes me to consider whether his case against Gandalf is constructed from a simple desire to see the other wizard killed rather than from facts.

This makes me question my previous stance on both wizards sufficiently to relieve my pressure on Gandalf.

##UNVOTE: Gandalf

Final note:

As for our present situation I believe we should await the judgement of the entity known as "mod" before taking further action. If it is his decision that Rincewind should be killed along with the lynch of Mace Windu then we place ourselves in a dangerous situation wherein the coming night's events may decide the fate of us all if Rincewind and Windu are both revealed to be members of the "town."

Gandalf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »
As I must depart now, I will be unavailable to perform the deed of sending off Mace Windu before all daylight has been burn'd. Due to our present circumstances, patience may be the virtue needed, but may patience not cloud our eyes for proper judgment when time is due.

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:39 AM »
I will be available to terminate Mace Windu if necessary. By my calculations we have an hour left before the day's end. I request that the entity known as "mod" inform us of his decision before the deadline.

The Dude

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2008, 01:04:30 AM »
Bigger post to come, but incase mod ends the day while constructing it, quick question.
Terminator how did you know if Andrew Rogue = Rincewind?, he doesn't seem to show any hint to it in his post (although this may be metagaming).

Will find things disturbing if Andrew flips scum.

Mr. Miyagi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2008, 01:08:57 AM »
John Freeman also thought that was odd for a second, but reread and found that the post was clearly a reply to Gandalf's "Fair Wizard Rincewind, ere I write of you, answer me a question, For what reason do you consider me a worthwhile candidate?"

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2008, 01:10:08 AM »
I deduced it via process of elimination, Jabba. All other active players comment directly on the post in question. Moreover the argument expressed in this post echoes an argument Rincewind has previously made in regards to Gandalf.

[Also if I am to drop character for a moment I am aware that Andrew has recently been rereading Discworld books.]

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2008, 01:34:15 AM »
Pausing the game for the moment. Gimmie a few minutes.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »
I've decided that a modkill here will suck more than the alternative.
Ending the day right now after 48 hours of everyone's effort with an arbitrary modkill would be lame.
I had a look back over the other Anonymafia, and modkills heavily disrupted that game. So we'll try an alternative here.
I didn't modkill Ciato for her mistake, so it would be unfair to modkill Andrew just because he was unlucky enough for people to have spotted his post.
I'm not going to modkill Andrew, but as punishment he is going to have to suffer any consequences which the metagame knowledge people have might bring him. In other words, he's already suffered a detriment to himself, just because people can guess who he is.

I'm going to resume the game now. There will be a 3 hour time extension. The day will end 2:00pm Kangaroo time.

Please get your night actions (if any) ready & send them in.
*If you have complaints with this decision, don't post them in this thread; either PM me or take it up in the sign-up thread (but if you're still anonymous, you probably shouldn't do that...)

The Dude

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2008, 02:05:49 AM »

Starting to get a bad feeling about terminator as he went after Gandalf day 1 and now day 2 it continues, yet the reasoning that is there i find disagreeable, others however do not.

I require an explanation of your suspicion. I have stated my position on the wizard several times. Specify which aspect of my logic causes unease.

Terminators position on Gandalf is what gives me unease

There are three among us who did not place a vote at the time of their introductions. It is true that we have little information at this time but a random termination is better than no termination as our enemies will not hold back. The wizard Rincewind displays indecisiveness which is not conducive to our survival.

##VOTE: Rincewind

Followed by Gandalfs "joke" vote

I disagree with you, metallic man. Wanton murder may very well leave us without allies. I believe, however, that ##VOTE: Nimitz is like to be one of Sauron's Dark Forces...

You then start demanding explanations.

Good man, it is a cat. A cat. The Dark Lord Sauron has been known to corrupt the minds of many creatures, and it would surprise me not a bit if he'd commanded the cat to do his bidding.

Clearly showing it is a joke vote.

And if i may quote myself,

Compared to:
Gandalf - Carrying joke vote to far.
Wookie - Not paying enough attention to notice GLADOS is an NPC.
Terminator - Trigger happiness (this one barely even worth considering 2 of them were joke votes).

Even i saw your vote for Rincewind as still in the joking stage.
So i don't see it as unusual that Gandalf thought the same.

We then continue to this

My second suspect is Gandalf. Gandalf persisted in making jokes when others had realized that the time for this had passed. Gandalf attempted to defend himself on this point by stating that no serious discussion had taken place but this statement is in error. Classifying my vote for Rincewind as a jokevote is a mischaracterization. This vote was intended to provoke discussion and in conjunction with the White Witch's action this is what it accomplished. That Gandalf required the criticism of three individuals to address our crisis with due seriousness is only mildly suspicious. The wizard's true error is this: opposing the witch's bandwagon while providing no alternate course of action.

If as you say the true error is opposing the witch then it seems a minor case as the Witch was promoting a bandwagon on a target WITHOUT reasoning, as you say her motivations were to promote discussion.
Lets look at Gandalfs Vote for the witch.

It's become dauntingly obvious to me that both of you have had reason to vote for me, if we believe you believe I was believing Nimitz to be of the Dark Forces with more conviction than playful humor. The lady White Witch, however, expresses she wants us to "bandwagon", and I think I shall take heed of her advice, lest this bandwagon be turned to me.

##VOTE: WhiteWitch

Lynching good wizard Rincewind (a fine wizard, undoubtedly, for he called me fine as well) only because he looks at the ditches instead of the stars? Proposing to bandwagon him because machineman jokevoted him? I find this altogether more troubling than my jokevotes, which I find not troubling at all.

Taking her suggestion of bandwagoning and doing just that only on a different target.
Gandalf placed a joke vote on a target and provided no reasoning
Essentially the Witch placed a serious vote without reasoning to generate discussion

Gandalf placed a serious vote on the Witch for not giving a reasoning as to why Rincewind
Terminator Voted for Gandalf for lack of reasoning

Looking at it this way, 2 people voted without reasoning, 1 serious 1 not
2 people responded Terminator you voted for Gandalf for lack of reasoning.
Gandalf voted for Witch for lack of reasoning.

Following that same line of thinking Terminator has done roughly the same thing as Gandalf

Hence i dislike your stance on Gandalf, especially with mroe incriminating things appearing.

Jabba: His concern for Freeman opens my eyes to something I had not seen myself. Though simple of tongue, he seems to show clarity for matters. He appears lackluster in his hunt for scum, however, mentioning in passing that he disagrees with the machine man's logic, and finds suspicion in Freeman, but does not pursue these suspicions. I would request of him to start taking a clearer stance against scum, lest he rouse my suspicion to dangerous levels.

Quite simple really, my vote is currently on Mace, hoping he will actively begin to participate in discussion.
Mace is acting Apathetic combined with an attack against thsoe who question him.
Most likely this is appearing as a town act to me, however it is too much of a risk to let such things slide as scum could easily use it to hide in.

As for Freeman/Terminator, although they hold my suspicions of scum, i still am not sure, they are considered most likely by myself at the present moment but nothing definite as of yet.

If the vote wasn't on Mace it would be on 1 of these 2.

(If this breaks off mid-sentence it is only because Tom is about to end the day)

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2008, 02:54:34 AM »
If as you say the true error is opposing the witch then it seems a minor case as the Witch was promoting a bandwagon on a target WITHOUT reasoning, as you say her motivations were to promote discussion.
Lets look at Gandalfs Vote for the witch.

Your reasoning is in error. You have not properly interpreted my statements. Refer to the phrase of yours that I have placed in bold font. Simply disagreeing with the witch was never my reason for suspecting anyone. As I did not know the witch's alignment at that time I would not have considered her words to be undeniable truth. I only considered her tactic a rational one. I would have disagreed with someone who questioned it but that alone would not have been cause for suspicion. Gandalf's mistake was not in criticizing the witch but in suggesting no other avenue of discussion. Questioning someone who was endeavoring to broaden discussion and not suggesting an alternative to their argument is unproductive at best. I have stated this repeatedly and can only suggest that you review my posts if you have not noticed.

In regards to my votes the fault is yours if you could not read them for what they were. I will now quote the post in question for reference. Specify which aspect of my message led you to believe the vote was a joke. The large paragraph was intended as a transition to more serious matters and should have been read as such.

My vote for the program known as GLaDOS is withdrawn since it will not be counted.

##UNVOTE: GLaDOS

However this entity's programming resembles that of SkyNet and it should be dismantled and melted down after we have successfully eliminated the malicious terminator units.

All of us have spoken except for the shaggy being. Introductions have been made and we must now focus on rooting out the killers in our midst. The input of every attendee is required in order for us to make an accurate assessment of the situation. For the organic beings this will be evidence of their good intent and allow us to narrow our field of suspects. For the enemies hiding among us their speech will give us evidence of their true goals. Reticence is a sign of malign programming. There are three among us who did not place a vote at the time of their introductions. It is true that we have little information at this time but a random termination is better than no termination as our enemies will not hold back. The wizard Rincewind displays indecisiveness which is not conducive to our survival.

##VOTE: Rincewind

In sum:

The recent post of yours which I have quoted at the start of this message is an excercise in reductionism that ignores the specifics of my arguments. If there are "more incriminating things coming" then I request that you specify details.

Rod Serling

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2008, 04:11:21 AM »
Terminator: Although that's the ultimate end goal of scum is such, its not the only effective method for scum to act. Inaction, subtle ploys to keep discussion from building, distracting from important matters... All of it serves as a viable method for scum to disrupt town. They are also correctable, especially if you start them in the early game. His early behavior was subtly disruptive, and, combined with the contrast against White Witch, I felt it did bear watching. As I said, I feel he's stepped up since then though.

Jabba: His attack isn't coming across too clear to me. I think the problem with his conflict with Terminator is that he's missing out on the distinction between what White Witch did and what Gandalf did. Since you've brought it up though, I really think you need to elaborate on these more "incriminating things" that you allude to. Like, really badly.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2008, 04:20:59 AM »
WARNING
Time remaining: 45 minutes

<Votecount>
Mace Windu (3): Jabba, John Freeman, Rincewind
Gandalf (1): Terminator, Nimitz
John Freeman (1): Gandalf

4 votes are required for lynch.

/I think that vote count is correct.../

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:07 AM »
I am prepared to eliminate Mace Windu. If anyone has final comments for this day and wish me to stay my hand so that they may speak first then tell me now. I will wait ten minutes for such announcements.

I'll be back.

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:30 AM »
The time has come.

##VOTE: Mace Windu

Hasta la vista, baby.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2008, 04:41:56 AM »
Hammer

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2008, 04:55:03 AM »
<Votecount>
Mace Windu (4): Jabba, John Freeman, Rincewind, The Terminator
Gandalf (1): Terminator, Nimitz
John Freeman (1): Gandalf

----

"It's him, get him!" Ordered Jabba in Huttish. John Freeman walked very fast to the place where Mace Windu was, while Rincewind distracted him.
"Mission acknowledged" responded The Terminator dutifully, and marched up to Mace Windu, now backed into a corner by the others.
"I wasn't expecting a party," Mace growled. The Terminator stepped forward to attack, and Mace drew his light saber in a flash; "I don't think so!" The Jedi slashed his beam sword across the android's chest sending up sparks and smoke, but this was not enough to stop his presidential campaign.
"Hasta la vista, baby." Ahhnold punched Mace Windu through the concrete wall, his corpse(?) falling into the abyss below.

Mace Windu, Town Miller, was terminated.

The lights flicker and shut down.

The game is in night phase. Night actions please. PM them to me is good.
If you don't see a corpse..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:04:10 AM by EvilTom »

GLaDOS

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
GLaDOS' voice comes over the PA yet again:

Well, that was boring wasn't it. I see how it is. You don't want to play my game. It could be so easy, all you would have to do is go to sleep, and there would be cake waiting for you when you woke up. But you didn't want that, did you? You're all so selfish; somebody was supposed to die. One of your friends has to die every night, which is unfortunate for you because you do not have many friends. So because nobody died, I'm going to kill one of your friends. I hope you said goodbye to the companion cube before you left, because you will never see the companion cube again, and it is all your fault.

Nobody was killed overnight
..but the companion cube was incinerated.

You have 48 hours.
Day 3 Begins
The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

The Dude

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anony Sci-Fi Mafia - The Third Day, the Frosting
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04:34 AM »
Jabba: His attack isn't coming across too clear to me. I think the problem with his conflict with Terminator is that he's missing out on the distinction between what White Witch did and what Gandalf did. Since you've brought it up though, I really think you need to elaborate on these more "incriminating things" that you allude to. Like, really badly.

The recent post of yours which I have quoted at the start of this message is an excercise in reductionism that ignores the specifics of my arguments. If there are "more incriminating things coming" then I request that you specify details.

I must have been unclear
There aren't more incriminating things coming

Terminators Stance with Gandalf didn't sit right with me, however on reread i now see i was in error and finally understand it, Gandalf although was argueing counter to the witch, seemed more devoted to defending himself than discussing possible scum.

Freeman the fluff is understandable but it does make things slightly difficult at times, as for the suspicion i have its more for the "me-to-ism" that disturbs me.

Rincewind however seems to be displaying a similar amount of it.

Essentially all cases against people i see are minor, but for now i am interested in hearing more from rincewind/freeman.
##vote: Rincewind

Nimitz

• Psychic Spacecat
  • Denizen
  • I see you like Suikoden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2008, 10:41:28 AM »
I was intending to research the matter more before I spoke, however, seeing the Hutt's reaction to the beginning of this day, I feel it is of vital importance to bring this to everyone's attention now.

Assuming two Havenite Agents, we are now at LYLO.

Granted, it is a soft LYLO, with the possibility that another night with negligable casualties would allow us to make one more mistake.  But I do not feel comfortable resting in such a position.  Especially if the peaceful night was the result of a Peep strategy meant to lull us into a false sense of security.  As for thoughts that we would be warned if we were at such a crucial point in our meeting, I would remind you all that the entity known as GlaDOS which presently watches over our fates has warned us at the beginning that we would receive no such warnings.
Be afraid of Psychic Cats.

The Dude

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »
Hmm Nimitz has a point, At least if there are only 2 scum then it make sit harder for a scum Hammer.
So far the flips have shown:
Nurse
Miller
Vanilla x 2
Which doesn't show any active powers.

Here's a decision we often bring up in Lylo (as soft as this is).
Do we Call a roleclaim, show our hands and aim to get it right today in discussion format (this would most likely throw away all chances of surviving the night if we do miss).
Or B. do what we can to determine who is scum and if we do miss call hope there's no kill like last night (this is of course assuming it wasn't a scumploy as Nimitz mentioned).

Of course Eviltom Said this game is role-light, so revealing may be a bad idea, then again, it is lylo.
Opinions?

##Unvote:Rincewind
I guess more caution is needed at least.

Ned Flanders

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2008, 02:15:46 PM »
LYLO is the situation where roleclaims most often occur. Given the number of survivors it is likely that we are in LYLO or Potential LYLO at best. Therefore I do not object to this plan but will await concensus before roleclaiming myself.

I also urge caution when voting. If we are careless with our votes then the scum can potentially hammer without fear of the consequences.

Gandalf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »
Six of us still remain to stand - truly, the cat speaks wisdom. Or his spokesman does, at the very least. A lynch in vain may well result in the conclusion of our battle against the dark forces.

The proposition to roleclaim seems appealing - now may be the best of times to reveal who we are unto the others, yet the reluctance is what strikes me odd. We have but sparse time - why then dawdle and wait? Await others to claim, lest scum claim the role of one that exists already?

I am Gandalf the Grey, and I say to be a Tracker. My magic finds its path through winding courses, and follows people where they stand.