Author Topic: NBA 2008-2009  (Read 15199 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2008-2009
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2008, 05:52:13 PM »
Basically just catch a few games here or there. I recommend the Thursday games on TNT if you can, because Inside the NBA is one of the best shows on TV.
Playing a game isn't that bad an idea. I got into it again after playing NBA Live 2004. Mostly it's just watching games. Once you can tell the players apart on the court, that's half the battle.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 02:00:36 AM »
Okay, been AWOL for a while, but I'll catch up now.  VSM is obviously Godlike at his abilities to break down teams, so I'm not going to bother... I'll just touch on some topics that'd been discussed.

1.  WTF Atlanta Hawks?  I thought it was all a fluke, but going on the road against Boston and playing them like they did was damn impressive.  Still no NBA final or even ECF for them I'd wager, but still nice to see some new talent in the East.
2.  The Billups/Iverson trade doesn't matter.  I think both teams got better from it, but Detroit is somewhere between 3rd and 6th best in the East and not going to the finals.  Denver is going to struggle to make the playoffs and if they somehow do will get crushed in round 1.
3.  As much as I hate to say it, the Lakers are scary.  They were the favorites going into this season to win it all IMO, and now I just can't see how they won't barring injury.  Kobe goes 5/15, Paul goes 13/19 and the Lakers win in New Orleans?  Jesus.  Bynum is the only Laker I like, but he needs to go down come playoff time please!

I get the advantage of having seen 8 games, but here are my picks!

EAST
Atlantic.
Boston > Toronto > 76ers > New York > Nets
Boston is obvious.  Bosh and co. might lose to 76ers, but not seeing it quite yet.  Knicks starting out good but doubt that'll last.  Even if it does this division is now the top to bottom best in the East, so 4th could even squeek them into the playoffs.

Central
Cleveland > Detroit > Chicago > Indiana > Milwaukee
Cleveland is getting better, Detroit is getting older.  Iverson won't help them enough.  The bottom 3 teams here could trade places, but I don't see any of the 3 making the playoffs.

Southeast
Orlando > Atlanta > Miami > Washington > Charlotte
Atlanta is impressive, but I think the Magic will be less inclined to hit a big slump somewhere along the way.  Miami could be scary if they get healthy... IF.

So
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Orlando
4. Detroit
5. Atlanta
6. Toronto
7. Philadelphia
8. Miami

The East is suddenly respectable past it's top 2 teams again.  About damn time the NBA is balancing out a little bit.  Any of the lower seeded teams could be potential upset teams if they peak at the right time.  The East should be very fun this year.

WEST
Northwest
Utah > Portland > Denver >>>> Wolves > Thunder
Utah is damn good, Portland could become a scary playoff team if they peak at the right time.  Denver is a step behind those 2 and the last 2 teams are the worst in the west/nba.

Pacific
Lakers > Phoenix > Warriors > Kings > Clippers
Lakers are fucking good, Phoenix is getting olders but the Warriors didn't get any better.  Warriors starting slow but should pass Kings.  Clippers suck.

Southwest
First.  LOLOL to Memphis being ahead of Dallas/Spurs (Even if only 8 games in.)
New Orleans > Houston > Dallas > Spurs > Memphis
Poor Spurs and their injuries.  Someone needs to introduce their international guys to roids to keep them healthy!

1. Lakers
2. Jazz
3. Hornets
4. Rockets
5. Suns
6. Blazers
7. Mavericks
8. Spurs/Warriors/Nuggets (Total copout I know, I really have no clue though.)  I'll say Nuggets I guess for fun.

West is weaker overall this year, again making the NBA more fun.  Lakers/Jazz/Hornets/Rockets/Blazers probably better.  Everyone else is worse.

Playoffs

Barring injury, Lakers run through the West, never going to 7 games.
Barring injury Celtics still win the East... although wouldn't be shocked if Lebron somehow got back.
Barring injury, Lakers beat Celtics in a rematch because Bynum will be that good.

I really hope I am wrong here because I don't like either team.  Cleveland and Hornets/Jazz/Rockets would be way more fun to watch.

Awards

MVP:  Okay... Dwayne Wade is the MVP hands down.  The guy is fucking amazing.  However, he might not stay healthy and the league is too stupid to vote anyone in without 50+ wins.  I gurantee that without the Gasol trade Kobe does not win the MVP last year simply because they'd a been 5th or 6th in the West, not first.  So... giving the nod to Lebron because Cleveland will finally get their 50+ wins.
ROY:  3 man race between Rose/Fernandez/Mayo.  Mayo doesn't have a team around him, so his numbers will be inflated.  Rose is better with a better team.  Fernandez is the best of the 3, but with a good team around him.  (He'd be getting 35 mintues/20 points a game almost anywhere else.)  Beasley/Oden... not happening.  If I have to pick one, I'll say Rose for now as he's impressing early.
Most Improved:  Umm... shit I dunno. Al Horford.
6th Man:  Dunno if Rudy is really a true 6th man since Outlaw comes in first a lot.  JR Smith works for me too.
Defensive:  This award is fucking stupid and rarely goes to the best defender.  Just give it so Kobe/Duncan the same way the gold glove always goes to a guy who bats .300.
Coach:  Nate will get this assuming Portland wins their 50 games.  (Nate is overrated as a coach IMO.  Give Kevin the fucking award.)

That's it for prediction post.  Oh yeah... fuck you Phoenix and thanks for Rudy/Sergio in exchange for jack shit.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 02:01:39 AM »
Basically just catch a few games here or there. I recommend the Thursday games on TNT if you can, because Inside the NBA is one of the best shows on TV.
Playing a game isn't that bad an idea. I got into it again after playing NBA Live 2004. Mostly it's just watching games. Once you can tell the players apart on the court, that's half the battle.

Some teams you never can.  Blake/Rodriguez look too damn similar from far away!

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 06:20:18 AM »
Don't know if anyone else watched the Warriors/Blazers game tonight, but it was the worst group of referees I have ever seen.  Aldridge fouls out in 4th quarter on a "blocking" foul because his heels were "on the line," which is funny because replay showed him a full half foot outside the line.  Instead of being down 4 with the ball Portland was down 6, without the ball, and with LA fouled out.

Obviously they come back.  Down 5 with 14 seconds left they steal and inbound and lay it in.  Down 3 they steal an inbound and Outlaw is fouled with 5 seconds left.  He makes one, makes second but a lane violation is called.  He did step in, but I can't say I've EVER seen that called.  This is where it gets good.

Down 2 Golden State inbounds with 5.1 left.  They fuck it up and Rudy knocks it away, he is going to get a free dunk but the GS guard grabs him.  Foul on Rudy obviously.  Game over.  Replay CLEARLY shows Rudy being fouled, but apparently the refs hadn't made enough terrible calls on the night.

Oh yeah, Golden State shoots 70% from the FT line and must have made 16-18 in a row to end the game.  Ridiculous.  I can gurantee that with a red challenge flag, Portland wins this game.  Delaney and Boland need to be fucking fired/fined/raped.  (Ayotte did okay, other than not telling the other 2 to off themselves.)

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:23 AM »
If I wasn't so Crazy-busy lately, I'd do a team-by-team update. I promise one in the near future, but it could take several days, as I have three large projects to do (HOW?! I only have two classes. ;_; ) I also have to visit Kalamazoo again, so pretty much the entire week is taken up.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 03:40:55 PM »
Don't buy into the Denver hype.   Dallas, Memphis, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee are not exactly quality wins for the new and improved Nuggets.  The win against Boston was impressive, but that's about it.  Even with Billups the Nuggets gonna be fighting for the 8 seed.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 10:46:01 PM »
Don't buy into the Denver hype.   Dallas, Memphis, Charlotte, Minnesota, Milwaukee are not exactly quality wins for the new and improved Nuggets.  The win against Boston was impressive, but that's about it.  Even with Billups the Nuggets gonna be fighting for the 8 seed.

Er... only win anyone's had over the Lakers?  That seemed more impressive than the Boston win, although admittedly the latter was on the road.

I'm certainly not sold on the Nuggets winning a playoff series, but the West actually looks pretty crappy this season and Denver is incalculably improved by actually having a point guard for the first time in two years.

Lakers, Rockets and Hornets are definitely better (despite the Hornets struggling out of the gate), and bizarrely, the Suns seem to be clicking nicely, too.  Past that, the West this year looks like the East has for the last couple of years.  Portland and Utah seem surprisingly weak - yes, they've had injuries, but to injury-prone players.  That may not be a fluke.  The Spurs are horrible defensively, which doesn't have that much to do with their injuries, although they've gotten a bit better.  Dallas is just... bad.  The Devin Harris/Jason Kidd trade was really, really atrocious and it just keeps getting worse.  I guess... Golden State is supposed to be in the conversation?  But isn't.  Poorly constructed and they got worse.

Based on what I've seen so far and what I know the teams/players have done in prior years, I'd expect:

WEST
1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Suns
4. Nuggets (actually with a worse record than Houston, but best in their division)
5. Rockets
6. Jazz
7. Blazers
8. Spurs

Dallas, Portland and San Antonio all seem like they could secure those last two slots, but I figure the Spurs will have dug themselves into a nasty hole by the time Ginobili and Parker are healthy, and the Mavs just kind of suck.  Denver/Utah seems like a tossup; Utah seems more likely to lose key players, but also more able to weather doing so.  If Nene or Billups were injured for any length of time, Denver's season would be over, while Utah has more depth and can weather a long-term loss of even Boozer or Williams.

EAST
1. Cavaliers
2. Celtics
3. Pistons
4. Magic
5. Raptors
6. Hawks
7. Bucks
8. Heat

The Bucks seem to have all the pieces in place to make the playoffs, despite their poor early showing.  I can't bring myself to believe the Knicks are actually a playoff team yet, especially when they're hemorrhaging talented energy players because they don't have a polished offensive game.

I haven't had a chance to see the Bulls play yet, so for those who have: why are they so bad?  Rose is, by all accounts, actually quite good, two years ago they were a playoff contender - heck, a title contender.  What's the deal?  I know they're a poorly constructed team, but so is Golden State and they made the playoffs in a much tougher environment two years ago.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »
Chauncey Billups' old team is the one with a win over the Lakers, not his current one.

No comments to make right now, I've had hardly any time to watch NBA games.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 12:02:03 AM »
Chauncey Billups' old team is the one with a win over the Lakers, not his current one.

No comments to make right now, I've had hardly any time to watch NBA games.

:-[

Oops.  Right.  I got that and Denver-Boston mixed up because I managed to have to miss both games that night.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
Lakers, Rockets and Hornets are definitely better (despite the Hornets struggling out of the gate), and bizarrely, the Suns seem to be clicking nicely, too.  Past that, the West this year looks like the East has for the last couple of years.  Portland and Utah seem surprisingly weak - yes, they've had injuries, but to injury-prone players.  That may not be a fluke.  The Spurs are horrible defensively, which doesn't have that much to do with their injuries, although they've gotten a bit better.  Dallas is just... bad.  The Devin Harris/Jason Kidd trade was really, really atrocious and it just keeps getting worse.  I guess... Golden State is supposed to be in the conversation?  But isn't.  Poorly constructed and they got worse.

Jazz and Blazers are both a lot better.
-Williams played 80, 80, and 82 games last few seasons.  He shouldn't go down again. Andre will miss games as usual, but not enough to hurt them.  This team just needs to learn how to win on the road.
-Blazers have had the toughest schedule in the NBA so far, hence only being 7-5.  Road games again Lakers/Hornets/Magic/Suns/Jazz are brutal, toss in Warriors/Heat for good measure and... Wolves.  Home games been a bit better with Rockets/Spurs (with Parker)/Bulls and... Wolves again.  As for the injury issues.  Kidd/Amare been okay since their micro fracture recovery, which is a good sign for Oden.  His ankle thing was just a fluke that happens to big men.  (Shaq has played 72+ games twice in the last 15 years I think.)  I'll be honest, I thought it would take till early December for Oden to be where he's at.  The only problem now is benching Zilla (who is 21/25 in the last 5 games.)
-Spurs might fail... yeah
-Dallas is 0-4 at home, 5-3 on the road.  This makes no sense?  Well, Rockets/Lakers/Magic/Cavs have been their home games, but still.  They've played well on the road though and their schedule has been right up there for toughest in NBA.  This team should recover and do okay.

Overall the West is quite a bit weaker this year than last.  Although, I don't see the East maintaining their winning record against the West for an entire season.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 05:29:08 PM »
I am feeling very good about the Blazers this year. They're really on a roll so far, and when you combine that with the crappy performances by teams like New Orleans, who were heavy favorites, I think the Blazers will get a nice seed in the playoffs if they can keep this momentum up.

Course, if they start the playoffs NOW, they'd be the 2 seed, but I don't expect that. I would enjoy it, though.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 12:04:59 AM »
Celtics vs. Pacers tonight.  Should be interesting.  Pacers, though they have a losing record, are responsible for no less than 50% of the combined losses of the Celtics and Lakers (that is, they've beaten each once).
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »
The Pacers are a good team and they will finish the season with a positive record.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »
Apparently the Raps fired Sam Mitchell.

I'm not sure how I feel about the move. He was a decent coach, but their roster has underperformed pretty hardcore the last year and a half, and I have no idea what this guy was trying to do with Bargnani.

Man. Paying attention to this season is surprisingly hard. I hope I can get back to watching on a regular basis relatively soon.

Analysis forthcoming today, tomorrow, or over the weekend. I have a huge homework assignment to do first.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 08:44:11 AM »
It's time for a team-by-team! Please note that this will be very difficult, since I've not been able to pay as much attention to the sport as I generally like, so some of my assumptions might be slightly off base. Whatever.

ATLANTA HAWKS
Atlanta is one of those teams that I hardly ever hear any real news about, so imagine my surprise when I checked the league standings and saw they were fourth best in the East. Fourth. They're only a game ahead of 5-7, and it's really early in the Season, so I still expect some solid changes in the playoff groups, but that's still pretty impressive.
Earlier, I'd said that I only really expect Atlanta to improve their record if they get some solid improvement from Law, Horford, or both, so I decided to take a look at the two player's averages. Law's production has actually dropped (Actually, for the loss of minutes Law has, I'd say he's improved), so it's not him. Horford's production, save assists, has actually fallen off from last year. So what's the big catalyst? Well, Smith's production is way the hell down. Joe Johnson's is essentially the same as always. Then I found it. Mike Bibby has been lights-out. His assists are down, but his percentages are waaaay higher than they've been in a long, long time, possibly ever, and his turnovers are down, too. I guess once he adjusted to the team, Bibby was a better fit than I had first assumed, because I can't explain the Hawks phenomenon otherwise. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team fall off.

BOSTON CELTICS
Ray Allen has been playing better this year than last year. Rajon Rondo has shown great improvement in his passing. Tony Allen is back to his old self. Kevin Garnett is still an asshole. (Seriously. He made his own teammate CRY. OH MY GOD WE MIGHT HAVE A THIRD LOSS. FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOU.)
Earlier, I was concerned that the loss of James Posey would hurt this team's chances of repeating for a championship, and to a degree, I stick by that. On the other hand, the players are probably gelling better this year (with the exception of Garnett being an asshat.) than they were last year, and they're probably getting better looks offensively now than they were before. Boston is, make no mistake, still in the mix, and I don't expect this to really change as the season goes on. If I had to give the Celtics a weakness last year, I'd have begrudgingly said "They could stand to get better play from their guards." and their main three guards have improved notably from last season. The C's are definitely a threat to repeat.

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS
What amazes me about this team, is just how many crazy game simulations decide that they'll be in the playoff mix this year. The official 2009 EA simulator had them in the mix. My NBA 2k9 file had them at 7th. It's ridiculous. What's the good of this team? How is this team intelligently constructed?
There is no -depth- to this team. Felton is still pretty good. J-Rich and Gerald Wallace are both fantastic. Okafor is solid. Matt Carrol is a great Roleplayer. WHAT'S LEFT?! Where is the depth? The bench of this team is trash, trash, trash.
Charlotte really needs to start amassing some smart, solid talent that can actually contribute. Where are the MLE free agents? I wouldn't want to play in Charlotte either, but when was the last time you heard about a really good player actually SIGNING with this team? They've made all their miniscule progress to date by the draft and by trading. Until they actually hire some reasonable talent, I'm going to presume that they can't.

CHICAGO BULLS
So Derrick Rose managed to injure himself by eating apples in bed, and rolling over onto his knife. He needed 10 stitches. He won't miss any games, but he ROLLED ONTO HIS KNIFE that he was using to CUT APPLES IN BED.
The Bulls have been playing really solidly, or at least somewhat solidly, and Rose has been a big, big part of that. Rose's numbers are fantastic, especially when you consider he's only a rookie. 6 assists, 18 points, 4 rebounds (from the point guard position) and fantastic shooting percentages for a rookie guard, and decent ones for damn near anyone else. (Close to 50% from the field? Sure!) Rose seems like a no-brainer for Rookie of the Year at this point (OJ Mayo is as good as advertised, though), and I think he was just the surge of energy that the Bulls needed in order to get back into the mix of things.

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
I stand up and salute this team.
Cleveland, right now, are number two in the league in defense, and more shockingly, are number ONE in the league in offense. I will say that again, because it is so bizarre and unheard of, I think it warrants repeating. Currently. The Cleveland Cavaliers. Are the best team in the LEAGUE. On offense.
Wow. That amazes me beyond belief. I always said that Mo Williams was a poor-man's Chauncey Billups, but one of the things I think this season has taught me, is that Chauncey Billups is remarkably good at the game of Basketball. As happy as I am for Cleveland now, I'm angry at the team for before. So Mike Brown really isn't that bad of a coach for offense? It was really just the team sucking that bad? You bring ONE GUY onto the team, and suddenly, everyone plays like they know what they're doing? Even Z is having one of his best seasons, and he's been at this for quite a while. ONE legit offensive threat was enough to turn this team around. Are you kidding? Cleveland is currently my pick to win the East.

DALLAS MAVERICKS
They've been playing -OK- for the last few games, and currently, they're an amazing SEVENTH in the West. In reality, I expect Phoenix and San Antonio to overtake them, and for them to be the bubble team. For the fun fact of the week: JJ Barea had chants of "MVP" at some time during this season. (I totally stole that one from NBA.com. But how could I -not- mention it?!) I'm really happy for Barea, because I'm a fan of his game, and I know he's not quite as talented as most of the NBA. I think he's a smart, solid player and it's good to see him get some time in the spotlight.
Dallas has got to be even more depressed than usual about the Devin Harris trade. Dallas is the only team that is so overbudget that they are losing money. Dallas...
I weep for Dallas. I really, really, REALLY wanted this team to win the finals a few years ago. I was a huge Mavs fan. They were my favorite team in the league, and might currently be my favorite team of all time (which for me, is really only a few seasons). But it's all gone now. The team has fallen apart. Soon I'll begin chants of "Free Dirk", because I really love that big lug, and I want to see him get a championship at some point in his career.

DENVER NUGGETS
My current pick for most underrated player of his generation: Chauncey Billups.
Billups comes over to the Nuggets, and they become one of the better defensive clubs in the NBA, per possession. That's got to be his doing. (It ain't the coach!) Billups is really good at controlling the tempo of the game, taking it to the level where he's comfortable, and then doing his own thing. And from everything I've read about him when he was at Detroit, he's a real leader, who actually can convince other players to play the right way, to. When Ron Artest went over to Sacremento, I thought it was something of a crime that he didn't win Defensive Player of the Year. He changed the whole culture of the team for the tougher, and I think this year, Billups has done the same thing for Denver. And Denver was in desperate need of a culture change.
I've also read (again, stealing from NBA.com) that 'Melo is saying that this is the most fun he's had in his basketball career. And to that, I say "YES. Yes, Carmelo. You might get it now." I like to rip on Anthony. It's what I do. But the fact is, if he gets a heart to go out and play defense, and he keeps his offense within himself, maybe not getting the eye-popping numbers, but getting really efficient looks. ('Melo has some disgusting post-moves. His footwork in the post is among the best in the NBA, if not the best.) Right now, his numbers are off, though, with his shooting at a measly 40%, but I expect that will change as he and Billups get to feel each other out a bit more.
I just wish that whatever demons JR Smith has would shut the hell up and let the boy play Basketball, because if he had his head on straight, and 'Melo takes this new enthusiasm with him, I'd be prepared to call Denver an Elite Team.

DETROIT PISTONS
I still think the Billups trade was good for Detroit, too, because again, if they lose this season, they get what? A higher draft pick and a shitload of cap room.
Everyone says that the Pistons are, like everyone else, in the running for the LeBron/Bosh/Wade sweepstakes, but I discovered what I consider to be a much more likely scenario.  See, sports teams say they're always planning for the future, and to a degree this is true, but they ALWAYS want to win NOW. The future is an uncertain, scary blob. Winning ANY championship is something that your city will remember and appreciate for a long time. No, the Pistons can fill a hole in their roster really quickly in the coming offseason by hiring another key free-agent: Carlos Boozer.
Boozer is in it for money. He doesn't pretend it's anything else. He has no loyalty to Utah. He probably HATES it in Utah, because his kid couldn't live there immediately thanks to the doom-level elevation. He has an opt-out in his contract next season which, as one of the best power forwards in the league, in an environment where several teams that NEED big men are going to have cap space, he is going to take. I dunno if he'll end up in Detroit, but I'd be willing to make a small wager that Joe Dumars is wishing for a certain pimply faced dynamo this Christmas.

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
When your coach says that there's no way the team is making the playoffs, there's probably no way your team is making the playoffs. Which is a shame. I like the Warriors, even without Baron Davis, and it's hard not to like Baron Davis. I have to wonder how bad Bellinelli's defense is, when he still only manages 8 minutes a game with Baron off the team and Ellis out for the whole season so far. They had that freakish rookie that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. Anthony Morrow? That's a plus. Biedrins is supposedly playing fantastic. That's another plus.
I really wish a team like Golden State could put it together for more than a year at a time. It's a really likable, fun team, but nope! There's just not enough space in the post season for them. Maybe next year, guys.

HOUSTON ROCKETS
So Tracy McGrady isn't playing lately, because he's got this perennial pain problem. Doctors say that his legs are fine and that he's perfectly capable of going out and playing, but he's just in too much pain. Meanwhile, Ron Artest is playing injured and totally showing off how crazy people are tougher than normal people.
Chronic pain is a real issue that I think he's going to have to learn how to deal with. This will either cut his career short or it won't. He's got to realize that. He either has to decide that, no, the pain isn't that bad of an issue, and he can go out and play, or he has to just call it quits early. He's going to destroy whatever team he's on if he keeps being wishy-washy about it. His only other option is to pull a Zo and take Acetaminophen until his kidneys die, but in all seriousness, what choice does he have?
We all hope you're not in too much pain, Tracy. My sister deals with Chronic Pain, and I can tell you, I know that it's hard at times. Do what you have to, man.
I'd like to point out that at no point has he actually mentioned early retirement, but really. He's going to be in this pain for pretty much his whole career. If it's too much for him, the right thing to do IS retire.

INDIANA PACERS
Without one of their better players, the Pacers have beaten some of the elite teams in the league, but they've fallen behind some worse teams in the league.
I stand by my earlier assessment that the Pacers are a good basketball team and that they are going to make the playoffs. Apparently Brandon Rush is struggling with the pro game more than Indiana thought he would, so that's a problem, but really, this is a strong team, and it's got a fun mix of talented veterans, young guys, and guys who are probably hungry to, I dunno, ACTUALLY MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Danny Granger is fantastic, and only seems to get better every year.
Maybe I'm biased because I'm playing the Pacers in NBA 2k9, but I'm convinced this is a "cusper" team. They're on the verge of making some noise in the playoffs. It's not a matter of "if". It's a matter of "when". Personally, I still bet it's this year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's all I have time for today. More to follow over the next few days.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2008, 05:48:56 PM »
While I'm in the middle of my update, two trades got pulled off.

First off, a clusterfuck guard trade between Memphis, Washington, and New Orleans. I like this on New Orleans' side, because they get an actual ball-handler, and I like this on Memphis' side, because they'll eventually get a draft pick from Washington, and they did not give up much for it. "OH NO! CRITTENDEN!"

The bigger news is the J-Rich trade. I... cannot explain this trade from Charlotte's perspective. They get a bit more depth, but they get a slacker Frenchman and Raja Bell, who might be somewhat underrated on offense. It seems like Jordan randomly decided overnight that instead of trying to find the next Jordan, he's trying to find the greatest player in all of France. Weird. Eerie.

I dunno how much this will help Phoenix. Sending J-Rich to a recently slowed down offense might not make much sense, but on the other hand, they weren't getting much production out of Diaw, so it's really a Richardson for Bell swap, and Richardson is really hard to compare to Bell. One is basically what Bruce Bowen wishes he was, and the other is an aggressive slashing type player. I'm reasonably sure Phoenix got the better end of the deal, but I'm not unprepared to call this trade a "Both teams lose" case.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »
Well, after all this talk about big moves Portland could make, what happens?

They trade Ike Diogu, and nothing else happens. Thank god.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 05:50:02 AM »
Noooo I wanted RLEC + Outlaw for Vince Carter.  Keep Batum starting and let Carter be a "Manu 32 minute off the bench guy."

Can you imagine with 2 guys like Vince and Rudy what kind of a field day Sergio would have?  Instead we keep Outlaw who doesn't move without the ball, doesn't play defense, and is a black hole when he does get the ball.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
Man, I'm gonna do something with this topic to show JUST HOW STUPID I was at the beginning part of the season. I think showing where I was ridiculously wrong will be good for me.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 10:22:16 PM »
Man, I'm gonna do something with this topic to show JUST HOW STUPID I was at the beginning part of the season. I think showing where I was ridiculously wrong will be good for me.

So you wrote something that was totally wrong, and now you're gonna write about why you were wrong then, and of course why you are now right?  You definitely need to go into professional sports writing.

Also, you missed the epic trade of Chuckin' Cassell from Celtics "player"-coach to the Kings.  That's huge, man.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:24:10 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 04:59:58 AM »
Season winding down, almost time for some awesome first round fun in the West and a Miami vs Atlanta series in the East.  Oh, there's 3 other matchups in the East?  Weird.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 05:17:26 AM »
First round in the West is gonna be good stuff. In the East? I see three roflstomps.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »
Cavs destroying everyone ITT.

Cleveland right now is my pick to win it all. We'll see how that shakes out.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2009, 06:31:34 AM »
I don't know if you saw them play Orlando today, then...

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
In my defense, they played Orlando AFTER I made that prediction.