Register

Author Topic: Anonyrandomafia: Game over (Scum win)  (Read 47401 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Anonyrandomafia: Game over (Scum win)
« Reply #375 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:04 AM »
So, general thoughts after all this? Well, I still haven't got through a game without modkills. Sadness. Yakko offered to take over for Death, but I didn't see the message until after I'd posted the flip. Other stuff:

-I was a little sad that people dropped the flavor text as quickly as they did. I was particularly enjoying the Serling soliloquies.

-Once again I turn out to be too absent-minded to strictly enforce some rules. The succinct thing was more of a suggestion (and no force in the universe can prevent Xanth from posting walls of text), but overlooking absences was more egregious on my part. Granted, had I been less forgiving on that account, I would've modkilled four out of eleven players.

-On that note, I was a fair bit worried during the first day that the game was going to be an out-and-out trainwreck. Had a couple people barely posting, Soppy forgetting to post anonymously twice (what the hell, man,) and exploitation of the instant death rule that I really, really should've seen coming. Solid play by some of the more active players really turned things around on days two and three, though.

-Xanth was unquestionably the MVP. The only thing that could've stopped him was getting copped by Miyagi on night three, and even that would've taken some very persuasive arguments from Miyagi to pull off.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 29, 2008, 12:55:07 AM »
Hey, I kept up the cursing for a pretty long time!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 29, 2008, 12:55:36 AM »
This is true!

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
I decided to try and fake playing as someone living and working in EST, given that if I didn't everyone and their dog would have guessed who I was immediately by the time zones. I failed at that horribly anyway on account of refusing to plug it through a spell checker for Americanisms (you guys and your 'z's in the middle of words where 's's clearly should be tripped me up so many times), but hey, it mostly got lost in the wash of trying to sound pompous anyway.

Obviously we were pretty confident that Alex / the little queen had a power role, given that we knew she wasn't scum. We were pretty sure that Bardiche / Mr. Miyagi was the cop given his style on day 1 (Sopko / Mr. Ash used as much as part of his defence at some point, even), and were absolutely shocked when no claim came out. We needed the little queen dead before LYLO. Crow was a bit unfortunate for copping, but he was the only kill I thought I could make that wouldn't surprise the others thinking it was coming from an evil Mr. Miyagi.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:33 AM »
Hey, I kept up the cursing for a pretty long time!

The only reason we left you alive as long as we did.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 29, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »
For my own edification, what was it that screamed 'Cop' about Miyagi? I've never had a protective or investigative role, myself.

And.... thanks, Soppy? I think?

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 29, 2008, 01:00:49 AM »
Everyone thought I was Crow? That's hilarious.

I didn't really watch the game, but I can see that Xanth definately played crazy good.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Bardiche

« Reply #382 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:39 AM »
So did we! I can smell a cop from a mile away. We were suspecting him at the end of Day 1 and pegged that from the beginning of Day 2 with the insta-vote. The across the board vanilla claim REALLY threw us, though.

I believe I was breadcrumbing pretty obviously by dropping honorifics on all confirmed townies! (and the target of my investigation) Then I decided I didn't want the scrutiny for a useless Cop claim, and a chance that if I survived I could redeem myself and, hopefully, peg scum at the final chance.

And... did you catch on to my "Miyagi gaze can see evil at glance"? D:

And to Miyagi for throwing the game away for town... not sure why town thought the scum would act completely alike, but hey, better for us!

Hey, I really wanted to win. : ( I just chose a bad time to participate, was a bit bogged with studying and projects. Felt rather not much in the mood to hunt scum during the first day and so hopped on the first case that seemed convenient to me. My bad, really, and I truly am willing to admit (and rightly so) fault on my behalf causing Town downfall.

I still honestly wouldn't suspect Khan, though in hindsight his WALL OF TEXT behaviour, eloquence and multiple-posts-one-after-another should've given him away. As being Xanth, that is, not necessarily scum.

I hate Xanth. Let's be friends, Xanny.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 29, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
The succinct thing was more of a suggestion
Just a nit-pick, but if you don't want to enforce a rule, don't put it in the rules (otherwise the players get confused). The choice against modkill was a good one, but it feels like the rules have been suspended when you don't enforce them at all.

-Xanth was unquestionably the MVP. The only thing that could've stopped him was getting copped by Miyagi on night three, and even that would've taken some very persuasive arguments from Miyagi to pull off.
It explains that whole "maybe there's a cop who's lying about not being a cop" crap at least >.> Yeah I'm not sure that would have saved us.

GG, enjoyable on the whole!

Out of interest, did scum win the first anonygame? I wonder if they have an advantage to anonymous games in general. It would make sense. (Not to say this wasn't balanced or that scum didn't deserve their win, this is merely an empirical enquiry).
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 29, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
For my own edification, what was it that screamed 'Cop' about Miyagi? I've never had a protective or investigative role, myself.

And.... thanks, Soppy? I think?

Floating through Day 1, making himself seen, kind of heard, but nowhere near the forefront. Controlled lurking Day 1 usually SCREAMS power role. But it looked like he was paying attention, unlike say, Excel or Yangus. His immediate out of the gate argument for Khan Day 2 clinched it, since you usually do that if you hit scum before you've claimed cop. It doesn't seem he hit scum, but that still convinced us.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 29, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »
-I was a little sad that people dropped the flavor text as quickly as they did. I was particularly enjoying the Serling soliloquies.

I was planning to keep it up for longer, but it was the one thing that seemed to be drawing too much attention to me.

(and no force in the universe can prevent Xanth from posting walls of text),

Honestly sorry. Not a scum play at all. I just suck at clarity within being concise.

Strago: I don't know how to spot cops as vanilla (in short games I'm usually very good as vanilla at getting town power roles lynched as often as scum), but as scum it was looking out for someone trying quite hard indeed not to get killed (in either manner) by standing out, and obviously knowing that they're not mafia either.

Out of interest, did scum win the first anonygame? I wonder if they have an advantage to anonymous games in general. It would make sense. (Not to say this wasn't balanced or that scum didn't deserve their win, this is merely an empirical enquiry).

El Cid won that game for scum as Cid.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #386 on: October 29, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
Haha, you killed me Night 1. What a waste.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:14 AM »
I hate Xanth. Let's be friends, Xanny.

;(

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 29, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »
Dropped the ball on day 1 pretty badly due to Castlevania hitting + losing track of time + various IRL issues I won't go into.  Not sure it really mattered, though, scum were insanely good (and a little lucky, which never hurts).  Good games all around.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 29, 2008, 01:07:40 AM »
I believe I was breadcrumbing pretty obviously by dropping honorifics on all confirmed townies! (and the target of my investigation) Then I decided I didn't want the scrutiny for a useless Cop claim, and a chance that if I survived I could redeem myself and, hopefully, peg scum at the final chance.

And... did you catch on to my "Miyagi gaze can see evil at glance"? D:
Never noticed :|
Then again, scum are more likely to look out for that sort of thing than town are, I guess?
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »
Breadcrumbing is like an art, since you want to only have it be obvious when you claim, in retrospect. It's tough. :/
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Bardiche

« Reply #391 on: October 29, 2008, 01:10:06 AM »
I dropped those hints in advance, thinking that if ever there was a time I would find myself to be chopping wood on the block with a copclaim to be my only salvation, I had arguments to fall back to where I alluded to my being a Cop.

And what Carth said. I really need to... try to breadcrumb LESS OBVIOUS so that it only is obvious in hindsight.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 29, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »
Xanth played a great game, but he also gets the award for worst at hiding identity. (Well, besides Sopko. <_<)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »
I noticed Miyagi's breadcrumbing pretty quickly but, uh...yeah, I was the mod. >.>

Kilga: Again, I have to point out that killing you wasn't necessarily a waste on their part. For everyone else's reference: immediately after being killed, Kilga PMed me correctly guessing who the scum were (though he later exchanged Khan for Miyagi).

Rat: Tom correctly guessed who Crow was, but no one else did. Everyone else who guessed on Crow said Carthrat.

Bardiche

« Reply #394 on: October 29, 2008, 01:14:42 AM »
I was sure everyone'd be able to peg me as Miyagi, since I believe I am the one and only unique wielder of the POINT AT EVERYONE WHEN ON THE BLOCK strategy. :x

Do pray tell, who did guess me? You said MOST guessed Alex, so I assume someone guessed me at the very least.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 29, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
Also:

(and no force in the universe can prevent Xanth from posting walls of text),

Honestly sorry. Not a scum play at all. I just suck at clarity within being concise.

I was just making an observation. Don't take it as criticism (I mean, you won the game, didn't you?)

EDIT: Bard, Tom guessed who you were. I think he's the only one who did, actually (at least, the only one who sent me guesses).

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 29, 2008, 01:17:30 AM »
Breadcrumbing is like an art, since you want to only have it be obvious when you claim, in retrospect. It's tough. :/

Letterdropping can work for this.

For the record, I was going to spend Day 2 blasting Sopko for his Excel vote at the end of the day. It was a pretty obvious weak-target-redirection attempt (amplified by hypocrisy given Sopko had just asked me why I bothered voting Ned) and I'm surprised no one else picked up on it, though I guess I was special in this regard since I had just done it as scum myself elsewhere a couple of months ago.

My exchanging Khan for Miyagi was 100% player meta - I was sure Alex was Miyagi AND had picked up I was Serling based on similarity between game post times and IRC convo times, so I figured he killed me in order to not bring the Excel vote up (since he reviewed my aforementioned scum game) and then didn't bother bringing it up himself because why would he call attention to a scumbuddy that early on?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 29, 2008, 01:19:37 AM »
Oh yes, I must also note that I retain the passwords for the anonymous accounts (assuming the players didn't change them) for the reference of anyone else who wants to run an anonymous game in the future.

Kilga: People don't pay as much attention to posting times as you might suspect. At least, I don't. It's only a really obvious factor with the aussies.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 29, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »
Cid: It was more because I disappeared from both at the same time after sending him a PM on IRC about something else (so he was specifically aware when I was around) and then reappeared on both at the same time a few hours later.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 29, 2008, 01:23:10 AM »
I never do time meta.  Even as scum.
Not anymore.
30 seconds, Andrew.  ;_;