Register

Author Topic: Merry Christmas!  (Read 6967 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Merry Christmas!
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 11:28:50 PM »
P3
A nice jacket
some Pirates of the Caribbean dice game
Heroes Season 1 DVD
$200 in cash and gift cards

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 02:25:34 AM »
Not my best year in giving gifts (I'm not sure ANYONE really liked/appreciated their gifts. >_<), but receiving was awesome, and the time spent with family was positive.

The ol' haul:

~Couple of pairs of jeans
~New Pajamas
~Some candy and cocoa
~Stuffed bear (Longstanding tradition, I guess)
~Super Mario Galaxy (FUCK THE WIIMOTE. Seriously. Fuck the person who invented the "pull" mechanic. It's dreadful.)
~Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
~The Orange Box (So far I have played: Portal. I am halfway through level 17.)
~Wiimote
~4 Player Chess. O_o o_O
~Some measure of cash

All said, this was a pretty decent year. Dinner was absolutely fantastic. The Orange Box looks amazing. Portal is superb, TF2 looks insanely fun. I can play SMG with my sister, which is always a plus. I'm in a pretty good mood, all things considered.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 04:54:41 AM »
Portal makes everyone happy.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 05:01:09 AM »
Got 70 bucks, random lotion and bath gel, PJs, a PINK JOHN DEER SCARF AND MATCHING GLOVES (what I always wanted), and three Univeristyof Oklahoma t-shirts in pink, grey, and white.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Ashe

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 05:24:03 AM »
Kay, here is what I got, with some commentary.

Miscellaneous Stuff

- Mars. A Gackt Album. I love Gackt. <3.
- Vin Diesel's Riddick Trilogy.
- Binoculars. <_<
- Lots of chocolate and your other typical stocking goodies.

Books

- The Dark Tower series. Woo Stephen King.
- The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance. Some reference book for the series.
- The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born. A Marvel comic thingy based on The Dark Tower.
- Stephen Colbert's I AM AMERICA (AND SO CAN YOU!). <3.
- The Complete Idiot's Guide to Money for Teens. Uhhh okay doubt I'll ever touch this.
- The Onion - Our Dumb World: Atlas of the Planet Earth Seventy-Third Edition. Supposed to be funny. Maybe, I don't really know.
-  The Art of Computer Programming Volume 1 - Fundamental Algorithms Third Edition. I actually appreciate this more than you might think. <_<

Gaming Stuff.

- Kingdom Hearts 2. I borrowed the game from a friend last year but I never owned it. This is the first time I've ever gotten something I put on my Christmas wishlist, so I'm really happy.
- Final Fantasy X. I already own it and it's my favourite game ever, but I don't mind because it's so awesome that having a second, unopened copy appeals to me.
- Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection. The PS2 version. I probably won't play it because of monthly fees, but I enjoy collecting games so I appreciate this all the same.

Stuff that will inevitably go towards gaming but isn't gaming stuff yet.

- $150 of Best Buy monies.

Edit:

- God of War 2. First game was pretty enjoyable, so...
- Rogue Galaxy. Level 5 for the win.
- Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm. Don't know anything about it other than that it is NIS. That's good enough for me!

Gaming stuff I'll be buying from someone online.

- Metal Gear Solid. Yessssss.
- Shadow Hearts. **** yessss.
- Shadow Hearts: Covenant. **** yes!
- Persona 3. **** YES YOU ARE THE BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

...Yeah, the comment with that last item pretty much sums up my thoughts on my haul this year.

Another Edit - Drop MGS, add Onimusha 2, Onimusha 3, and Resident Evil 4(PS2). <<
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 04:44:34 AM by Lady Ashe »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 08:48:49 PM »
Pretty mellow Christmas. Was mostly just the immediate family sitting around watching movies.

We're spoiled, as I've said in these threads before. Stuff got:

Buncha movies: Bowfinger, Silent Running, Pi, The Bourne Ultimatum, and Adaptation (actually, two people got it for my sister and the extra copy wound up with me. No complaints, I wanted it anyway).
Metal Gear Solid
Deloused in the Comatorium, by the Mars Volta
The Joy of Cooking (heh!)
A whole mess of t-shirts
New sheets for the bed

And my mom's parents randomly gave each of us a thousand dollars. Whoa.

Also, we're all going to see Spamalot on January 6th. Groovy.

Stuff given (to the elder sibling):

Repo Man
Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines (gracias to people making me aware of this through hype. It is exactly my brother's style).
Big Lebowski t-shirt (You Are Entering a World of Pain)

To the sister:

Annotated edition of Alice in Wonderland (complete with geeky footnotes about English politics)
Steve Martin's autobiography
Velvet Underground t-shirt

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 09:08:05 PM »
*rubs foot on ground embarassedly* Adding to the spoiled here. *coughs*

Our Dumb Century (The Onion), Hardcover
The Dark Crystal
He-Man, Season 2, Volume 1
Pan's Labyrinth
Kamelot's Dark Winter Night DVD
Notebook
Code of the Samurai (bookie, book)
Uncorrected Proof of Soul Music (spiffy as hell)
Tokyo Art (bookie, book)
Tiny Remote Control Helicopter (I may be 21, but fun toys are fun)
Two shirts
Pajama Pants
Jacket
Scarf
12 Toothbrushes
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
$250 (which will likely turn into Portal and who knows what else)

and...

80GB PS3 (with Rockband software, but sadly, that must be traded in as silly periphs are not available without software)

So yeah. I did stupidly well and feel bad like I do every holiday ;_; Still, grateful as all hell.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 01:44:39 AM »
if you feel bad, donate to charity.  Anyway.  Christmas is a HUGE affair in my family, and we give and get a LOT of stuff between me, my sister, brother, parents, three aunts, and an uncle.

Got:
- money for a new computer! this is very good because my current one is 7 years old and since the fan sounds like an old car and the BIOS doesn't see the disc drives I must finally admit that it's on the verge of death.
- 3 calendars, a fractals one, a Tintin one, and a plup movie posters one.
- 6 dress shirts
- copy of Last of the Mohicans (the book)
- hat with badass earmuffs, so I can disguise myself as a Canadian
- Slippers.  very comfy.
- An awesome teacup
- lots of tea.  Lady Blue, which is an awesome mix of green and black flavored with vanilla and orange, and Tippy Yunnan, plus whatever my sister ordered that has yet to arrive <_<.  We like tea, yeah.
- lots of socks, black and white.
- 2 cds: Steve Turre's In the Spur of the Moment (jazz trombone) and Omar Faruk Tekbilek's Whirlwind (I..uh...have no idea)
- Dvds.  Ghost rider and Transformers
- various food items including but not limited to: Malted Milkballs, a bar of free-traded chocolate, a can of smoked salmon, a can of smoked kipper, a block of homemade fudge, a block of homemade pinnucci, and a clementine.
- James Beard's The Art of Cooking! yay!
- The Book of Tea!  yay!
- ticket to the Christmas Revels up in Cambridge
- and a quality wooden mixing spoon.

Gave:

to my brother: the Suikoden 3 manga volumes 9 & 11, with an IOU for 10; an IOU for a t-shirt from http://www.perspicuity.com/  (I hope he gets 'Donaaska Donatello' or 'Toys for Trots')

to my sister: a nice scarf, a necklace, and a copy of the Aeneid (Stanley Lombardo's translation)

to my mother: a nice scarf, owl earrings, and ladybug earrings

to my father: Hercule Poirot: the Movie Collection (my sister went in on this one, too)

to my aunt Jan: a nice scarf, and a pair of red & white painted copper earrings

to my aunt Deb: a nice scarf, and a flattened bottle of wine that serves as a tray for cheese and crackers or whatnot (cooler than it sounds)

to my uncle Dick: the collected cartoon book from http://www.perspicuity.com/

to my aunt Lin: a nice scarf, and a necklace

to my girlfriend Kelli - a very nice necklace (I hope) and one of those scarves...so far (haven't done the rest of our gift exchanging yet)

those scarves were really fantastic.  really, they're so big the term 'wrap' is more appropriate (or for the cynical 'tablecloth').  All different patterns, and some of them were double-sided.  Practically a steal at the price I got 'em.

Anyway, yeah.  big Christmas, mostly done now.

Also, my girlfriend and I are going in for a Wii, but since we're goving that to ourselves, and it's not as if I have it in hand, doesn't really count.  (Shouldn't be to hard to get, though.  They're actually pretty easy to find in the city, and I work 3 blocks from the Nintendo store).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 01:46:51 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 04:44:59 AM »
Heh, Christmas is a ginormous deal in Jenna's family, and after last year where only one person not named Jenna remembered to get me anything, I made up for it in spades this year.

Games:
Megaman X8(bought this for myself before Christmas, had it wrapped and stuck under the tree as a "Santa Presant")
God of War(See above)
Etrian Oddesy(Got this for myself and had it wrapped as "From Alan, To Alan" because with the lack of the stepspawn, SOMEBODY had to do something completely inane, and it might as well be me)
Persona 3
Odin Sphere
Divine Divinity

Other Stuff:
Dungeon Crawlin' Fools (the first OotS graphic novel)
A cool misty blue-purple dice set
A solid steel dice set and leather dice bag (the stepspawn picked this out for me. How awesome is that?)
New baking sheets and cake pans. (Which I needed desperately)
A Varient Critical Hit Rules Card Deck for DnD. (which looks kinda neat, actually)
A pair of Very Large cocoa mugs.

Gift Cards
$40 to Best Buy
$50 to Fry's Electronics
The wife got a $150 card to Wal-Mart from her aunt and we're going to be spending that on new clothes for all three of us.

I also got Christmas Dinner to come out damn near perfectly, even with the assorted setbacks I was hit with, and that's as good as another present for any cook. ^_^

So yeah, all in all, this was a pretty good christmas.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 04:58:47 AM »
Back from Christmas at Whistler. First time I'd ever spent Christmas away from home; good stuff. Gifts got:

-New jacket. Sweet.
-New ski socks. Practical considering the location. Also badly needed. <_<
-Tickets to a Canucks game.
-Tickets to a Canucks game.
-$200.

Gifts given:
-Mostly books. Sudoku book and travel book for Mom, political comedy book for Dad. Also got Dad some new ski socks (... okay it was a running thing our family needed this year). And some portable speakers for my brother's iPod.

Dinner was excellent as usual. The whole day was a lot of fun, if a bit of a chance of pace from the usual traditions.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2007, 12:02:55 AM »
Item get!

- Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
- Shadow Hearts: From the New World
- Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC)
- A DVD collection with about twenty of Pixar's short films (Geri's Game, For the Birds, etc.)
- A massive Salvador Dali painting
- A 365-day calendar (Non-Sequiter) and a 12-month calendar (awesome pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope)
- New bedsheets (mine are old and stretched-out)
- Assorted gift cards (Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)
- Way too much candy

And the best gift of all...

- $3000 from my grandmother to help me pay for a new car

I doubt anyone remembers, but last year I told you all about a tradition between my cousin and I wherein we try to make our Christmas presents as difficult to open as possible.  Last year I put his present in a nailed-up wooden box covered in barbed wire and gave him a hammer and chisel with which to extricate it.  I knew he was going to try his best to get me back this year...and he did.  He gave me four CD's wrapped in packaging tape, each of which I had to pop into my laptop after I had freed them from their taped-up prisons.  They contained those annoying little flash games (which he had made himself) where you have to guide your mouse through a maze without touching the sides.  After completing each maze, I was given a number.  Then, I had to use those four numbers to unlock a combination safe he gave me; inside the safe was my present.  I am ashamed to admit that I was unable to figure it out, even though I followed the instructions exactly as he had described them.  It turns out that he had made a mistake and gotten two of the numbers mixed up when he made the flash games, which would explain why I was unable to open the safe.  Eventually we got it figured out and Oblivion was waiting inside.

Me?  I kept it simple this year.  I wrapped his present over a hundred times (I counted) with all manner of things: wrapping paper, aluminum foil, parchment paper, trash bags, saran wrap, bubble paper, wax paper, sand paper -- basically anything flat and sheet-like that I could find.  He scraped his fingers up pretty bad on the sand paper, which I thought was just delightful.  He opened his present first, so technically he won this year, but since he provided the wrong combination to his safe it was a draw as far as I'm concerned.  I got him Psychonauts, in case you were wondering.

I already have an excellent idea for next year.  I won't give away too much, but I will say that it involves Plexiglass.  Mwahahahaha.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
Nothing fancy for me.  Family seems hooked on this... what's it called.. White Elephant?  affair.  Meh.  Takes the fun out of things for my money.

- mug, tea, $7.
- Something involving the Beatles that I assume to be a documentary.
- Paperweight that says "May the Force Be With You"

Then actual presents
- Magic theme deck.  Though the cards within are more useful for my cousin's deck... but hey, I got HIM Phoenix Wright: Justice for All so I could play it.  If only he'd put it down for five minutes...
- The Prophecy.  Can't complain.
- Cash.  $340 if I remember the count right?  From about 5 difference sources.

Sadly, the cash will largely be spent on practical things, though I'm replacing my PSP with it at least.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Taishyr

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 05:36:49 AM »
Lance, your story made me laugh for way too long. I approve.

Also got a few Christmas cards from people back home. I is happy.