Author Topic: Nomic - Turn Twenty Eight (tai sez: omnomnom)  (Read 81228 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nomic - Turn Twenty
« Reply #625 on: January 11, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
Kilga's mod strikes me as a good idea as well.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »
Voting phase!

320: AMEND Rule 306 to read
A rule-change is adopted if there is a positive majority among the eligible voters. A rule-change is not adopted if there is a majority negative vote. However, if there is a tie vote for whatever reason, the player proposing the vote and a negative voter, who shall be the first negative voter who follows the proposer in turn sequence, must compete head-to-head in a competition that is decided by consensus of the mob.

Mob consensus is defined as the first idea for competition that three members of the mob can agree on.

If the rule-change proposer wins, then the rule is adopted. If his opponent wins, then the rule counts as a failure and all negative voters gain five points.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nomic - Turn Twenty One
« Reply #627 on: January 13, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
320: AMEND Rule 306 to read
A rule-change is adopted if there is a positive majority among the eligible voters. A rule-change is not adopted if there is a majority negative vote. However, if there is a tie vote for whatever reason, the player proposing the vote and a negative voter, who shall be the first negative voter who follows the proposer in turn sequence, must compete head-to-head in a competition that is decided by consensus of the mob.

Mob consensus is defined as the first idea for competition that three members of the mob can agree on.

If the rule-change proposer wins, then the rule is adopted. If his opponent wins, then the rule counts as a failure and all negative voters gain five points.

AndrewRogue: Abstained
Carthrat: Yea Yea (Partner: Corwin)
EvilTom: Nay
Excal: Abstained (Partner: QuietRain)
HunterSopko: Yea (Partner: SirAlex)
Jo'ou: Nay Nay Nay Nay
VerySlightMad: Yea Yea Yea

Alex: Yea
Bardiche: Yea
QuietRain: Nay
Xanth: Yea
Yakumo: Yea

The proposal was PASSED!

<->

Nomic -- Turn Twenty One

Players - Points

1. AndrewRogue: -36
2. Carthrat: 54
3. EvilTom: 69
4. Excal: 40
5. Jo'ou Ranbu: 60
6. Sopko: 58
7. VerySlightlyMad: 73

It is AndrewRogue's turn! Please propose a change to the rules. Your rule-change number is 321.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:51:53 PM by Carthrat »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »
*Smacks* I forgot to vote. Go me.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:08 PM »
You gonna list partners and their votes?

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: January 13, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
I was going to vote but the forums were down when I tried.  GO FIGURE

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »
Oh good, so the forums actually were down last night.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 14, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »
Well, taking a look at this, this is all I have to say.

All too often, some people attempt to make an argument by attacking and insulting those who hold opposing views. Nomic Players's slurs are a perfect example. In the text that follows, when I quote from Nomic Players, I will use the word "excrement" in place of another word which is now apparently permitted in general circulation publications and which I have edited out. With an enormous expenditure of words, unclear in content and incomprehensible as to meaning, Nomic Players frequently stammers an endless hodgepodge of phrases purportedly as witty as in reality they are execrable. Only semi-intelligible swaggerers can feel at home in this maze of reasoning and cull an "inner experience" from this dung heap of sex-crazed deconstructionism. Nomic Players uses the word "anthropophysiography" to justify destroying our moral fiber. In doing so, it is reversing the meaning of that word as a means of disguising the fact that it will stop at nothing to fight with spiritual weapons that are as harebrained as they are uppity. This may sound outrageous but if it were fiction I would have thought of something more credible. As it stands, Nomic Players should take a step back and look at everything from a different perspective. Well, that's another story. To get back to my main point, I ought to mention that Nomic Players always cavils at my attempts to give the needy a helping hand as opposed to an elbow in the face. That's probably because Nomic Players insists that "the norm" shouldn't have to worry about how the exceptions feel. This is a rather strong notion from someone who knows so little about the subject.

Who else but Nomic Players would have the brass to take rights away from individuals on the basis of prejudice, myth, irrational belief, inaccurate information, and outright falsehood? No one. And where does that brass come from? It comes from a sure knowledge that it can retreat into its "victim" status if anyone calls it to account. While I can't speak for anyone else, I, speaking as someone who is not a fatuitous suborner of perjury, avouch that the irony is that Nomic Players's most distasteful dissertations are also its most featherbrained. As the French say, "Les extremes se touchent." I am worried about a new physiognomy of servitude, a compliant citizenry relieved of its burdens by a "compassionate" Nomic Players. It's hard to spot the compassion when you notice that if alarmism were an Olympic sport, Nomic Players would clinch the gold medal.

If Nomic Players had even a shred of intellectual integrity, it'd admit that its criticisms of my letters have never successfully disproved a single fact I ever presented. Instead, Nomic Players's criticisms are based solely on its emotions and gut reactions. Well, I refuse to get caught up in its "I think … I believe … I feel" game. I hate to say this, but Nomic Players's goal is to force its moral code on the rest of us. How odious is that? How vindictive? How hectoring? Nomic Players evinces a bulldog-like instinct for going after the jugular of its intended victims. As an interesting experiment, try to point this out to it. (You might want to don safety equipment first.) I think you'll find that whenever Nomic Players gives a speech, it is always careful to sidestep the issue of how it is a liar—a conscious, deliberate, bald-faced, shameless liar. An obvious parallel from a different context is that sometimes I think that Nomic Players is simply a willing pawn of those indelicate politicasters who resort to underhanded tactics. I typically drop that willing-pawn notion, however, whenever I remember that everything I've said so far is by way of introduction to the key point I want to make in this letter. My key point is that we should agree on definitions before saying anything further about Nomic Players's ophidian calumnies. For starters, let's say that "denominationalism" is "that which makes Nomic Players yearn to create a Nomic Players-centric society in which dim-witted flibbertigibbets dictate the populace's values and myths, its traditions and archetypes."

This in mind, I would like to show some backbone. Nevertheless, if Nomic Players succeeds in its attempt to promote favoritism's traits as normative values to be embraced, it'll have to be over my dead body. Does Nomic Players do research before it reports things, or does it just guess and hope it's right? The reason I ask is that Nomic Players's claims are merely a stalking horse. They mask its secret intention to prosecute, sentence, and label people as noisome, satanic grifters without the benefit of any evidence whatsoever.

Nomic Players's attempts to enshrine irrational fears and fancies as truth are much worse than mere extremism. They are hurtful, malicious, criminal behavior and deserve nothing less than our collective condemnation. Whether you call it "boosterism", "obstructionism", or "antidisestablishmentarianism", it is alive and well in Nomic Players's cop-outs. It's what convinced me that Nomic Players claims to be fighting for equality. What it's really fighting for, however, is equality in degradation, by which I mean that Nomic Players keeps telling everyone within earshot that it is the arbiter of all things. I'm guessing that Nomic Players read that on some Web site of dubious validity. More reliable sources generally indicate that I think that it confers exclusive benignity to cronyism. You probably think that too. But Nomic Players does not think that. Nomic Players thinks that its actions are Right with a capital R.

Prudence is no vice. Cowardice—especially Nomic Players's doctrinaire form of it—is. Nomic Players possesses no significant intellectual skills whatsoever and has no interest in erudition. Heck, it can't even spell or define "erudition", much less achieve it.

Nomic Players's flimflams are based on a denial of reality, on the substitution of a deliberately falsified picture of the world in place of reality. And this dishonesty, this refusal to admit the truth, will have some very serious consequences for all of us in the immediate years ahead. Nomic Players insists that we ought to worship vengeful snollygosters as folk heroes. This fraud, this lie, is just one among the thousands they perpetrates. To quote the prophet Isaiah, "Woe to ye who dismantle national civil rights organizations by driving a wedge between the leaders and the rank-and-file members". Nomic Players wants to produce an army of mindless insects who will obey its every command. To produce such an army, it plans to destroy people's minds using either drugs or an advanced form of lobotomy. Whichever approach it takes, some people have indicated that Nomic Players's damnable, addlepated loyalists accept on faith that we have too much freedom. I can neither confirm nor deny that statement, but I can say that Nomic Players's foul adages can be quite educational. By studying them, students can observe firsthand the consequences of having an organization consumed with paranoia, fear, hatred, and ignorance.

We must brush away the cobwebs of authoritarianism if we are ever to bring meaning, direction, and purpose into our lives. Yes, this is a bold, audacious, even unprecedented undertaking. Yes, it lacks any realistic guarantee of success. However, it is an undertaking that we must undeniably pursue because nothing would make Nomic Players happier than to see me self-censor my critique of it. I submit that everyone should stop and mull that assertion. Then, you'll understand why it's Nomic Players's belief that my letters demonstrate a desire to extend its fifteen minutes of fame to fifteen months. I can't understand how anyone could go from anything I ever wrote to such a morbid idea. In fact, my letters generally make the diametrically opposite claim, that Nomic Players's the type of organization who would give craven extremists far more credibility than they deserve if it got the chance. Or, to express that sentiment without all of the emotionally charged lingo, it tries to make us think the way it wants us to think, not by showing us evidence and reasoning with us, but by understanding how to push our emotional buttons.

I think we can unequivocally say that some jaded sensualists are actually considering helping Nomic Players mold your mind and have you see the world not as it is but as it wants you to see it. How quickly such people forget that they were lied to, made fun of, and ridiculed by Nomic Players on numerous occasions. For reasons which I will adumbrate presently, if Nomic Players were paying attention—which it would seem it is not, as I've already gone over this—it'd see that there are lots of weepy, wimpy flower children out there who are always whining that I'm being too harsh in my criticisms of Nomic Players. I wish such people would wake up and realize that even when the facts don't fit, Nomic Players sometimes tries to use them anyway. It still maintains, for instance, that everyone who doesn't share its beliefs is a villainous megalomaniac deserving of death and damnation. If Nomic Players's legatees are frightened that Nomic Players might help snippy fugitives evade capture by the authorities when you least expect it, they have only themselves to blame. An equal but opposite observation is that there is an unpleasant fact, painful to the tender-minded, that one can deduce from the laws of nature. This fact is also conclusively established by direct observation. It is a fact so obvious that rational people have always known it and no one doubted it until Nomic Players and its bedfellows started trying to deny it. The fact to which I am referring states that Nomic Players will jawbone aimlessly because it possesses a hatred that defies all logic and understanding, that cannot be quantified or reasoned away, and that savagely possesses loathsome guttersnipes with splenetic and uncontrollable rage.

It is quite true, of course, that Nomic Players should reserve its stereotypes and labels and remember to treat others with a bit more respect and equality. But if we briefly prescind from the main point of this letter we can focus on how there is a problem here. A large, lamebrained, evil problem. Nomic Players's lieutenants remain largely silent when asked about the correlative connecting Nomic Players to anti-intellectualism. The rare times they do deign to comment they invariably skew the issue to prevent people from realizing that only through education can individuals gain the independent tools they need to rake Nomic Players over the coals for bombarding me with insults. But the first step is to acknowledge that Nomic Players's morals all stem from one, simple, faulty premise—that its publications will spread enlightenment to the masses, nurture democracy, reestablish the bonds of community, bring us closer to God, and generally work to the betterment of Man and society.

As such, I can only conclude that Proposal 321 should be thus: Amend 320 to read that the head-to-head competition, as determined by the consensus of the mob, must be resolved in best 2 out of 3 fashion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:45:01 PM by AndrewRogue »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 14, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
Good grief, man, that's putting Meeple to shame. @_@

That said, and since I'm not going to bother with the wall of text until I get home(and probably not then)... why?  Short form?  Don't really see a point to that change really, especially since it's rarely going to come up to begin with.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 14, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
Because if it does come up, it should be handled in a suitably awesome manner.

Bardiche

« Reply #635 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:51 AM »
Don't read it. It's copy pasta, and not even a delicious one at that. You get it off some generator.

That said, I'll vote Nay for this proposal simply because of the atrocious wall of text.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 15, 2009, 12:53:40 AM »
Don't like it, mob can specify a contest is best out of three at the outset. It can be appropriate for some contests and not others.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »
Don't read it. It's copy pasta, and not even a delicious one at that. You get it off some generator.

That said, I'll vote Nay for this proposal simply because of the atrocious wall of text.

Well fine! Have no appreciation.

Proposal 321: Bardiche should officially be labeled a meanie head who does not understand what a wall of text truly is for the remainder of the game. ;_;

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 15, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »

Proposal 321: Bardiche should officially be labeled a meanie head who does not understand what a wall of text truly is for the remainder of the game. ;_;

I'm for this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:23:05 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 15, 2009, 01:17:04 AM »
Strongly for this will use all my votes

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 15, 2009, 01:22:27 AM »
Hell, I'm game. I promise I won't even vote Nay to score 10 easy points.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 15, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
If we're doing awesome proposals, can we get the name of the game changed to Om Nom Nom Nomic now?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:38 AM »
Blah. I was going to propose that next, Al.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 15, 2009, 03:30:44 AM »
I'm down with this proposal.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:46 AM »
I'm game!
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Bardiche

« Reply #645 on: January 15, 2009, 07:24:53 AM »

IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TURN LIKE THIS... well, sure!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:52 AM »
If it passes, he gets points. How is it a wasted turn?

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
If we're doing awesome proposals, can we get the name of the game changed to Om Nom Nom Nomic now?

YES DO THIS

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 16, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
Voting phase!

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nomic - Turn Twenty Two
« Reply #649 on: January 18, 2009, 03:35:30 AM »

AndrewRogue: Abstained (???????)
Carthrat: Yea
Excal: Nay
EvilTom: Nay
HunterSopko: Yea
Jo'ou Ranbu: Yea
VerySlightlyMad: Yea

GateWalker: Yea
Kilgamayan: Yea
Laggy: Yea
QuietRain: Yea
SirAlex: Yea
SuperAielMan: Yea
Yakumo: Yea
Xanth: Nay

The proposal was PASSED!

<->

Nomic -- Turn Twenty Two

Players - Points

1. AndrewRogue: -22
2. Carthrat: 54 (Partner: Corwin)
3. EvilTom: 79
4. Excal: 50 (Partner: QuietRain)
5. Jo'ou Ranbu: 60
6. Sopko: 58 (Partner: SirAlex)
7. VerySlightlyMad: 73

It is Carthrat's turn! Please propose a change to the rules. Your rule-change number is 322.

I'll get to it in a bit.

BARDICHE is a meanie head who does not understand what a wall of text truly is.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:16:37 AM by Carthrat »