imageRegister

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 4013 times)

Lady Ashe

• Denizen
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
www.nanowrimo.org/

Anyone planning on doing this?

I have actually had an idea in my head for well over half a year now, but I am not sure if I should do it. The pro to doing it is not having time to pull my usual perfectionist crap that stops my writing projects from ever getting off the ground. The thing that is giving me pause is my complete lack of talent.

I figure that most people here generally have more talent than the average person, so it could not hurt to ask. Is anyone here thinking of writing something? Have you already done so in the past? If so I would love to hear about it and I am sure others would as well.

(If this has already been discussed before on the old forums, I apologize. There is no way for me to check, so.)

Taishyr

Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 05:32:01 PM »
I probably will get about ten days in and then get permastalled by college issues.

So, to answer, yesno.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
I WAS going to do it this year, buuuuuut I'd rather go sight seeing instead and the first week of November is really the only time I have to explore Britain unhindered by classes, and realistically I'd barely be motivated to make the minimum per-day output as is, so yeah.  There will be other Novembers.

Taishyr

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »
Actually they're changing the name of the eleventh month to Erember after this year, so this will in fact be your final chance.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
I really wish you would choke on a dick sometimes.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
I've considered in the past, but the last two novembers haveseen me in school and working retail, which meant that November was accompanied by ramped up time demands from both, with the consequence that finding the kind of time writing a novel in a month would demand was a simple "Hell No".  Given that I'm not doing school this month, I am seriously considering it.

What I am not considering is using it as a method to shoehorn a concept I actually care about into a finished form as NaNoWriMo is not about producing quality work.  It's about simply doing the quantity of work that needs to be done so that you can point out to yourself that you can at least do that much.  And I figure any frame of mind that doesn't take that into consideration is one that is going to lead to inevitable dissapointment.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:35:52 PM »
Well, the fact that the contest is about producing mass quantities of words shouldn't automatically exclude the possibility of writing something you care about, or that might turn into a quality novel later.  In fact, I would say that it doesn't matter at all; nothing, NOTHING is ever good the first time you write it on the page.  This fact is what makes writing so hard to start.  You're destined to write crap, and if you can't bring yourself to write crap then nothing gets written, not much, anyway, or it takes a really, really long time.  Works only become readable after editing, and if you have large quantities of crap but a core idea you care about, editing becomes easier because culling, rewriting, and restructuring a work is easier than adding on or starting a new. 

The contest is less about "writing lots of crap and saying to yourself you can do that much" and more, as I see it, writing lots of crap for you to turn into something more later.  That's why there's a followup in... March?  The editing month.

Taishyr

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »
Man. No patience for sarcasm. >_>

But yeah, really, if you're trying to produce -quality-? Um, good luck to you on that one. That's what the editing process should be for; this is just for flat-out writing, production, creation; not refinement.

Admittedly, I didn't know there was an editing month.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
I always  figured the editing month went from Nov 30 - Nov 1.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:27:51 PM »
I've given more than a little thought to participating this year.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
It sounds kinda sorta cool, but if other DL staffers are going to be doing it I won't have time.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
Huzzarh!  Fudo is join doing!

70,000 words in 7 days!  SuiCIDE RUSH WHOOOO!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »
I've been participating every year since 2001, and I have yet to finish it. It turns out that November is a REALLY bad month for outside obligations when you're in school. In uni, I've inevitably had at least 1 15-page research paper due, if not 2-3 10-15 pagers. It's a bad time to throw in some other writing.

But that's exactly why I sign up.

Next year's NaNoWriMo is the one I'm hoping will prove to be my first finish, and I consider the intervening years to be good practice at churning out the crap and never thinking twice about it.

(December, by the way, was the original NaNoEdMo, but it has indeed moved to March. NaPlWriMo for playwrights is in November as well. There's also a small NaNoPoMo for poets and a NaNoBloMo for bloggers (you wish it was for what it sounds like). I'm sure there are others.)
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »
I find it to be one of the most awesome things anyone has thought of.  I can't do it though.  Page after page of "Then the ninjas sprung forth" just wouldn't work.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 04:49:30 AM »
I find it to be one of the most awesome things anyone has thought of.  I can't do it though.  Page after page of "Then the ninjas sprung forth" just wouldn't work.

I'd read it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 04:59:10 AM »
Of course you would.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »

Hundo says it wuld be better then what we could write!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
Of course you would.

Die in a fire. ^_~ I love you, Zenny ^_^

On-topic:
I seriously would be interested in what kind of writing Grefter might produce on a grind schedule.

-Djinn

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
It is bad and not funny as shown by bonus matches I have written when not really in the mood.

Taishyr

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »
Which have been better than 80% of what's out there in general so I really don't see your point.

Just throw in some random references to other authors and you're set for the big something!

Bardiche

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »
Probably going to participate again only to find out I fumble at 10 days and give up.

Done it so every year, I plan to make it tradition.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »
It is bad and not funny as shown by bonus matches I have written when not really in the mood.

NaNo is about quantity not quality.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 09:53:29 PM »
I know that, but I am just saying that if I did succeed at it then it wouldn't be something worth reading to find out what I write like under pressure (DAVID BOWIE REFERENCE AHAHA GET IT), since it would be crap.

Which have been better than 80% of what's out there in general so I really don't see your point.

Just throw in some random references to other authors and you're set for the big something!

The stuff I write when I just have to is pretty bad, I think you need to recheck some of my not so good BIGOYSWB stuff.  Not the one we took down because XS3 sucks that much or the one that followed it up, but like the one after Rejected! if I remember correctly I came out of that without a single joke I liked.

Edit - Oh and like any of the pre match writeups that I have done when we were desperate.  I have a dull boring template that I follow pretty much A is fighting B, B cannot possibly win in the face of (Special attack A) due to (Entirely made up weakness B).  A will surely take Division title with positive verb.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:55:22 PM by Grefter »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 04:59:52 AM »
Rawrz Fudo is starting nows!

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 07:50:55 AM »
Sadly for me, I will be deciding to forego NaNoWriMo this year. 2006 was a great start for me, 2007 was so-so, but I don't have the time this year to do it anymore ._.;; Perhaps I may go at it again next year!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.