Who did you vote for?

John McCain
2 (6.7%)
Barack Obama
25 (83.3%)
Third Party
3 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Who are you voting for: Election Day is here!  (Read 11785 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Who are you voting for: Election Day is here!
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »
with ADD I'm pretty sure that's just what the disorder is--new technologies and children growing up with easy access to time wasters killing their attention spans so dead. 
Well yes, at least from how she described it to me, ADD isn't a moment-to-moment "entertain me, be flashy"--after all I've read and enjoyed Charlotte Brontë.  I also never watched MTV as a kid, and didn't have internet access until university.

However, it's also noteworthy that I don't, say, stick on an internet forum for more than about a three month stretch before moving on to a different internet forum.  (And yes I've returned to the DL quite a lot, but I've definitely had long absences).  I also shift the videogame genres I enjoy--I'm not sure I've played and enjoyed a standard RPG (non-SRPG) in...umm...two years?  And I can't even remember the last time I really got into a Metroid game the way I used to get into them.
[/quote]

You're up there for least ADD person I know. It is over diagnosed in general in the United States, but someone who really has it.. well, you can tell.

Best way I can describe it is like missing a pair of mental glasses. It isn't so much as having focus, but the ability to handle more than one thing at once and staying on task.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:35 AM »
Speaking of questionable disabilities:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/20/obese-airline-rights-cana_n_145191.html

maybe this should be in IOTD instead...
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2008, 02:44:45 AM »
You're up there for least ADD person I know.
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about you.

Dunno, thinking on it I know teachers were complaining about my attention span since kindergarten (stuff like they'd do blocks for 15 minutes and then want to move on, but I would refuse to switch tasks--which is to say my attention span was too long for their lesson plan).

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2008, 04:42:17 AM »
ADD is a fucking joke these days, not because it's not a big deal when someone actually has it, but because it's used as an excuse for people.  I mean, if you listen to doctors, I've got ADD too.  But if I actually have interest in something or have something that needs doing, I can be one of the most singleminded people you'll ever meet.  I don't have ADD, I just didn't like to listen to teachers give the same lecture three times because other kids didn't get it the first time, but people tried to give me an excuse for it.  What they really should have done is look at my scores and knowledge and realize I was just bored because I already knew what they were talking about, but that gets into a rant on public schools and crap and I don't feel like bothering.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2008, 05:47:33 AM »
ADD is a fucking joke these days, not because it's not a big deal when someone actually has it, but because it's used as an excuse for people.  I mean, if you listen to doctors, I've got ADD too.  But if I actually have interest in something or have something that needs doing, I can be one of the most singleminded people you'll ever meet.  I don't have ADD, I just didn't like to listen to teachers give the same lecture three times because other kids didn't get it the first time, but people tried to give me an excuse for it.  What they really should have done is look at my scores and knowledge and realize I was just bored because I already knew what they were talking about, but that gets into a rant on public schools and crap and I don't feel like bothering.
That's a very standard reaction, actually.  It's the reason why having a separate honours/gifted class is very important.  Similar to why having a special remedial class is also important.

If you're going too slow, kids get bored and misbehave, disrupting the rest of the class.  If you go too fast, kids get frustrated and misbehave, disrupting the rest of the class.

See, for instance, the psychological state flow:
http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt73j.htm

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
I've alway thought the argument againt workplace relationships was bunk, myself.  Because honestly, if someone's not mature enough to behave curteously, or at least professionally, with an ex?  They're going to let any relationships they have interfere with their work.  Shit happens, you can either set it aside for eight hours or you can't.  And this completely ignores the potential benefits, of course.

Theorhetically?  I agree.  However, things like this never work out in theory.  Try to be as rational as you can, when something happens even the most cold hearted bastard among us turns into an emotional cocksucker. 

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »
That's a very standard reaction, actually.  It's the reason why having a separate honours/gifted class is very important.  Similar to why having a special remedial class is also important.

If you're going too slow, kids get bored and misbehave, disrupting the rest of the class.  If you go too fast, kids get frustrated and misbehave, disrupting the rest of the class.

See, for instance, the psychological state flow:
http://www.rasch.org/rmt/rmt73j.htm

I didn't have one in any school I went to until High School (first it was staffing problems when I lived in Washington, and then the overcrowding/budget/lack of a need due to poor average performance in Utah) and now I don't have a work ethic. Just saying.