Author Topic: Season 47, Week 4: Brothers battle in a bloody brawl.  (Read 7147 times)

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Season 47, Week 4: Brothers battle in a bloody brawl.
« on: November 22, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
Godlike

Kyogre (PKMN) vs. TimeLord (Saga)
Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3)

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG)

Middle

Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9)
Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2)

Light

Jet Enduro (WA3) vs. Soren (FE9)
Rude (FF7) vs. Miranda (G3)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Season 47, Week 4: Brothers battle in a bloody brawl.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)- Die plz Crono.
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG)- Unsure. Grahf may be able to take 2 of Georg's hits, but...Georg taking 2 of Grahf's spells is less likely given that MDef.

Middle

Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9)- Statiscally better+WTA hype?!!
Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2)- Unsure. Silence slows Beowulf down, but does it do it enough?

Light

Jet Enduro (WA3) vs. Soren (FE9)- Faster+Soren defense+No counters here, I think?
...into the nightfall.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:07:16 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG): Kneejerk is that he survives 2 hits, and he easily 2HKOs. (His physical is a clean 2HKO, and Georg's physical durability is only a bit above average.)

Middle

Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9): If memory serves Boyd's second weapon is a bow and Oscar's is whatever he wants. So he picks sword and carves Boyd up. WTA or going first and not facing a counter, take your pick.
Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2): Aegis shield + good blocker selection should see him through.

Light

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:09:10 AM by Monkeyfinger »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 09:15:28 AM »
Noting that the commentary write-up for Royce > Jessica was completed already, but I guess it was overlooked. http://www.rpgdl.com/forums/index.php?topic=2421.msg41063#msg41063

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 09:30:08 AM »
Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9): If memory serves Boyd's second weapon is a bow and Oscar's is whatever he wants. So he picks sword and carves Boyd up. WTA or going first and not facing a counter, take your pick.

If he chooses a sword, then he's probably not going to be able to get that A needed to get a Silver Sword, so his damage is going to take a fall there. Also, if he's using a sword and going first, Boyd can get range supremacy with a Hand Axe.
...into the nightfall.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:35:11 PM »
Can't vooote. Sadness~

Go go Georg, Ana and Jet though. Or Rude even. At least he's cool -_-
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
Kyogre (PKMN) vs. TimeLord (Saga) - Figures. One person I still like in this season and it's statused out.
Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3) - Gut kneejerk against Royce here, but I can definitely be persuaded.

Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2) - This, by my views, is an insanely pathetic slapfight. Gut is leaning Anastasia, by virtue of SH characters having even more status blocker availabilities than FFT characters. I'm more than open to arguments, though.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 03:14:06 PM »
Not to mention that in game, Bows are a far superior choice to swords (hell, so are axes, come to it) so why he'd pick up swords seems a bit iffy to me.  Not to mention, if Boyd picks up bows, then he has a superior weapon to Oscar's swords, avoids the weapon triangle entirely, and can switch to axes whenever he wants if Oscar tries to capitalise of spears>swords.

Oscar has been officially spoiled.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
That's what I was thinking Tai *nodnods*

Can't remember whether it was agreed in chat whether or not Magic Sword could be silenced but I allow Ana to utilise all three accessory slots anyway as well as the multi status blocking SH bracelets like the Zodiac so she can block Silence herself if she wants and thus still have access to her own magics. Plus Ana's magic defense is above average anyway especially with Barrier so even for what she can't block Beowulf might have a hard time hitting with it anyway~

I like both characters too =)

For the record I don't allow full status blocking accessories (unless it's unique to a character) but I do allow multi blocking accessories whether they be store bought or character unique~
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:39:52 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
It sounded like Silence didn't block Magic Sword.

Frankly, whoever wins this wins the season, and since I like both characters I'm perfectly content waiting for others to comment. I get the feeling that Beowulf has more -options- but Anastasia can try for everything at once...

...mmm, I'm not sure. Shock may turn the tables, oddly enough. Then again, wasn't it inaccurate, or was the that one accurate one?

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:08:34 PM »
Regarding Boyd/Oscar weapon debate...

Yeah, it's pretty questionable if Oscar can get an A in a secondary weapon. Well, he can clearly make it in axes (Steel at E means he needs 15 fewer attacks), but possibly not the other too. Same applies to Boyd. I'm not sure how I feel about this issue, just throwing it out there. Stat topic assumes he can't even have A in axes, which... hmm, well, I see why, as it preserves paladin uniqueness (else they all end up with axes except Geoffrey for their best damage). On the other hand he promotes substantially before Mist and only needs 15 more attacks than her to reach A, so there's probably some unfairness there. Oh well! Not going to worry about that here.

Now, flipside? If we're -not- giving the paladins A in their secondary, I'm definitely going to let them switch what it is, to reflect that advantage. So Oscar's welcome to a Steel Sword, but he loses 7 atk from it (5 in practice due to weapon triangle). Actually, giving Oscar swords here is very important, since the +1 Def from WTA plus his above average durability is just barely enough to stave off the 2HKO. And despite falling to below average damage, he still 3HKOs himself. And goes first. Huh.

So I guess Boyd switches to bows, which stops Oscar from 3HKOing! Except Oscar can presumably pull out an (unforged) Silver Lance if Boyd does that, for the finishing blow, since the +2 damage pushes him over the top. So screw bows.

So the only way Boyd can win is with a Hand Axe. He can start with a Silver equipped, then switch to the latter, and still 3HKO, and now he'll get his 3 in first. Problem is he's now trying to make three axe hits against a sword user, one of which is the shoddy Hand Axe, and while FE9 evade isn't that impressive, that may be asking for a bit much.

I'll think about this one some more.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »
Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG)- Strong kneejerk.

Middle

Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2)- Doubt Ana can get through the Aegis shield+blocker. It's a good fight but I'm leaning towards the better Middle.

Light

Rude (FF7) vs. Miranda (G3)- I think? Not really inclined to give Miranda much respect against a boss with a pulse. 

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:26:28 PM »
On second thought, forged Hand Axe means Boyd gets 4 attacks before Oscar gets 3, so yeah, he can afford one miss. I can't think of any Oscar strategy that beats the following for Boyd: "Forge Hand Axe, start with it out if Oscar has forged a Javelin, otherwise start with a Silver Axe out."

Beowulf > Ana. I had thought Silence stopped Magic Sword. Checking the newfangled BMG (I need to download that one) I see this is not the case, so suddenly Ana only has a 50% chance before Aegis Shield of landing a turn 1 status. Sleep (a status Ana can't block) chained into Silence/Break, or if you allow multi-statusblockers, Chicken x2, should be enough to handle Ana.

That leaves Cloudy vs. Royce I need to think about.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 05:40:40 PM »
Dear god. Do either Boyd or Oscar have a chance to upgrade? (Precis, Melbu Frahma, Meliadoul, Veronica) All the good Middles got spoiled in the bottom half.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:43:14 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Taishyr

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
... How do I eternally forget about Aegis Shield?

Yeah, that turns it into a clear Beo win. Anastasia can't manage to blow past him with that.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »
Hm.  Meliadoul and Veronica get free wins against them (pure physical weapon-reliant fighters vs Meliadoul and FE characters vs ID, although if you want to argue she misses that's... possible, in Oscar's case?  Given that the status is attatched to the third hit as I recall).  Melbu is Melbu, who the hell knows.  Precis uh... seems pretty even with them?  Strikes me they get a loss next week either way, so seems unlikely that either upgrades.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 07:54:13 PM »
Godlike

Kyogre (PKMN) vs. TimeLord (Saga)- Bor-ing
Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3)

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG)

Middle

Light

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3) - Cloud vs. Empyrea was actually extremely close, due to Empyrea being able to Zap / physical out the tentacles reasonably quickly.  I still voted Cloud due to the Particle Beams toward the end.  Royce, so far as I recall, doesn't have much (good?) MT, so she's not dispensing with the tentacles fast enough to keep Cloud's damage output under control.

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT) - Go die Suiko2 and your recruitment.  Sadly I suspect that Riou generally wins even without Forgiver Sign - beat up Crono, heal the second Luminaire off, potentially go berserk and finish the job, has a second shot of good healing even if he didn't go berserk.
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG) - Actually fairly close.  Not sure, though leaning Georg.

Middle

Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9) - Yay for tossing out DL scaling and being able to go on in-game comparison.
Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2) - Beowulf is slow (no Thief hat).  Ana HP-1s him, and a lot of Beowulf's tricks now don't work in time.

Light

Jet Enduro (WA3) vs. Soren (FE9) - Hey, wait a second here.  Jet was no Gallows, but he wasn't Clive either.  He's not that accurate, and he has game-worst magic resistance.  I don't see why people think he wouldn't get countered either, he certainly will.  Then again...  checking the stat topic, Soren's speed is a lot less than I expect (maybe I got lucky in my playthrough?  He consistently doubled everyone there and had a good ~26 or so Speed, IIRC).  So.  Jet shoots Soren.  Soren counters, then Soren hits Jet again.  Jet....  is probably on death's door at this point, so Gatlings, and probably has more than 50 FP (if he's at least level 44, which should be easy).  That's three hits from Jet, and even if one missed, that's probably game.  Still!  This is pretty close.  I can even see Soren perhaps 2HKOing here, which might flip things.
Rude (FF7) vs. Miranda (G3) - Rude.

Re upgrades: Meliadoul's breaking is a lot less relevant than usual due to the fact she's going to have to break 4 different weapons before it puts an FE9 character out of business.  That said if you only allow super-forged weapons but only one per character, I suppose it can put a kink in their damage.  Anyway, I think she still wins, but due to the Protect on Save the Queen and avoiding counters with Mighty Sword, not the actual equipment breaking itself.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
Jet Enduro (WA3) vs. Soren (FE9) - Hey, wait a second here.  Jet was no Gallows, but he wasn't Clive either.  He's not that accurate, and he has game-worst magic resistance.  I don't see why people think he wouldn't get countered either, he certainly will.  Then again...  checking the stat topic, Soren's speed is a lot less than I expect (maybe I got lucky in my playthrough?  He consistently doubled everyone there and had a good ~26 or so Speed, IIRC).  So.  Jet shoots Soren.  Soren counters, then Soren hits Jet again.  Jet....  is probably on death's door at this point, so Gatlings, and probably has more than 50 FP (if he's at least level 44, which should be easy).  That's three hits from Jet, and even if one missed, that's probably game.  Still!  This is pretty close.  I can even see Soren perhaps 2HKOing here, which might flip things.

The not getting countered is me, because I only let counters occur if the FE character can get range supremacy (Since sword uers only countering one range attacks in game...not advantageous since it also means that they'll always be hit by counters too). But I could see saying that guns are 2 range only, like bows, so unsure there.
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »
Godlike

Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3): Okay, the other good fight. No tentacle actions for me, though I do allow their skills. Anyway, Royce only 3HKOs, Cloud 4-3's. Cloud uses Haste as her first action, physicals the other seven. This comes up... just short of killing Royce, fractionally. So Cloud tosses in a Particle Beam at the very end; though this slows  her turn, she's 4-3ing by such a large margin that she can afford this.

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT): Nuke.
Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG): Grahf's apparently not that fast, so Georg goes first and 2HKOs.

Middle

Oscar (FE9) vs. Boyd (FE9): Hand Axe domination.
Beowulf Kadmus (FFT) vs. Anastasia Romanov (SH2): Loves that non-caring about Silence.

Light

Jet Enduro (WA3) vs. Soren (FE9): Soren dies to 53% PC KO damage. Do I think Jet has that with a turn-1 Gatling? Yes I do. This spares me from deciding if Soren 2HKOs or not.
Rude (FF7) vs. Miranda (G3): At least he 3HKOs.

Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
Godlike

Royce (Lunar1) vs. Cloud of Darkness (FF3) - No tentacle actions~

Heavy

Riou (S2) vs. Crono (CT)

Middle

Light

Jet Enduro (WA3)
vs. Soren (FE9)
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 10:24:38 PM »
On second thought, forged Hand Axe means Boyd gets 4 attacks before Oscar gets 3, so yeah, he can afford one miss. I can't think of any Oscar strategy that beats the following for Boyd: "Forge Hand Axe, start with it out if Oscar has forged a Javelin, otherwise start with a Silver Axe out."

Either I'm allowing all generic weapons to be forged or I'm not allowing any of them to be. It sounds like you're imposing a limit of 1 per fighter, which I don't get.

Bardiche

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 10:31:21 PM »
Not much to say about the matches other than...

Heavy

Georg Prime (Suikos) vs. Grahf (XG) - Georg should be able to beat Grahf's speed. Grahf cries to 2HKO from Georg.

Pyro

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »
Limit of one per fighter is pretty darn reasonable considering they are of somewhat questionable legality to start with (only sorta kinda storebought, limited amount, not enough to go around to EVERYONE though probably enough to go around to who you use). I think I'd allow them but allowing 5 forged weapons isn't reasonable even in-game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:29:45 AM by Cryo »

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
There's certainly enough for 1 per PC used in-game (particularly when you consider that Ike, Reyson, Elincia, and laguz in general don't need one). But yeah, Pyro hits on why I don't allow more than one; there's not clearly enough for that.

Hmm, let's say I allow -everything- to be forged, though. Hmm.

Boyd starts with a Hand Axe out: Oscar goes up and hits him with a Steel Sword (Silver won't help here), get countered. Boyd attacks, free hit. Oscar can't attack again or Boyd counters, switches to Silver Axe or perhaps even Steel Bow and wins. If he doesn't attack, though, Boyd just hits him with a Silver Axe, game.

Alternatively the two just trade hits with ranged weapons in which case Boyd is doing much more damage, with better accuracy to boot. Yeah, Boyd has this.

Maybe.