Register

Author Topic: My-Hime Mafia  (Read 58094 times)

Bardiche

Re: My-Hime Mafia
« Reply #425 on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:59 PM »
Personally I had wanted to kill Alex, but on the other side thought that with Alex's behaviour, Town couldn't possibly not lynch him.

Clearly I was wrong.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 10, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »
We would have. Eventually! But going after Cid so persistently night two and then going twice for Kilga doesn't really make much sense to me. So does not using the Hitman on Cid the first time, unless you had really limited uses on that?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
I'd assume the uses were highly limited.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #428 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »
My sources tell me Bard had 2 uses.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 10, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
Huh, crazily anti-climactic ending. Oh well. Yay us?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 10, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »
Yeah, Bard had only two uses.

Bardiche

« Reply #431 on: December 10, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »
I had two uses. I was inactive for hte entire first day (REAL STORY), so wasn't really available. But we'd... more or less agreed not to use the Hitman power from the first night to conserve some for priority targets.

First night we attacked El Cid because El Cid scared 'em.
Second night, we dealt with El Cid, thinking Alex was in a crummy enough position to get lynched. (after all, why NOT kill a Cop?)
Third night I was already gone, but we'd decided to keep Alex alive because:
1) I sort of hoped you'd all take my words to heart. At least a bit. Clearly I fail at theatrics.
2) A Cop remaining alive STILL? Maybe someone'd call it to question. Apparently not!

So. We miscalculated the Town's behaviour mostly and thought they'd call doubt to Alex's copness if he didn't die at any point during the Night phases. Instead, we hit Bulletproofs.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 10, 2008, 06:27:38 PM »
I had two uses. I was inactive for hte entire first day (REAL STORY), so wasn't really available. But we'd... more or less agreed not to use the Hitman power from the first night to conserve some for priority targets.

First night we attacked El Cid because El Cid scared 'em.
Second night, we dealt with El Cid, thinking Alex was in a crummy enough position to get lynched. (after all, why NOT kill a Cop?)
Third night I was already gone, but we'd decided to keep Alex alive because:
1) I sort of hoped you'd all take my words to heart. At least a bit. Clearly I fail at theatrics.
2) A Cop remaining alive STILL? Maybe someone'd call it to question. Apparently not!

So. We miscalculated the Town's behaviour mostly and thought they'd call doubt to Alex's copness if he didn't die at any point during the Night phases. Instead, we hit Bulletproofs.

No... you pretty much cleared Alex with that one. I can't think of a situation where that would work.

Day 2 was a trainwreck for town until Alex's copclaim, which is where I think they finally got things in order and went forward. Wish there was something we coulda done to throw a wrench in that.

I wish I'd gotten my two cents into you before I died. Cid was a bit of a prominent target for my Day 1 kill taste. Probably would've directed you towards Affinity or someone else low key.

Both Alex and Excal used typical power-role type lurk to start (until Alex claimed, obviously). Props to Excal for not getting found, especially after his rather blatant baiting for a doc claim. Man, that post was hilarious to read.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:29:37 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Goat Garden Author
« Reply #433 on: December 10, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »
I'm surprised we didn't think of another miller during the game, but hitting a miller would have just cleared Alex instead, basically.

And yeah, my game sucked, although only consciously from day 3. I fell too far behind on day 2 from leading one bad attack and defending myself, and never found myself able to wrap my head around the Bardiche case. I tried to simplify the game and draw the NK as the most useful thing that I could do, but that just got more attention on me.

Well done to the others despite my presence.

Given that Alex really was the cop, there was next to no chance that I would have ever supported lynching him, and I'm surprised that he was left quite so alone other than for doctor fears.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 10, 2008, 07:37:35 PM »
Yeah, Sopko called it.  I was the Doctor.  Which also meant that trying to kill either Alex or myself was a risky proposition due to the fact that I was basically alternating between protecting myself and him.

Night 1: myself, I didn't trust anyone else enough to cover them when I could protect a known useful town role.  Also, I'm really freaking paranoid about night one kills.

Night 2: Alex.  I didn't trust him at that point, but I was willing to let him have his chance.

Night 3: Myself.  I was still suspicious of Alex, and my reaction to Bard's final rant was not good.  That said...

Night 4: Alex.  There wasn't any followup.  Scum never bothered to touch anyone that Alex was clearing, which is what Alex would have needed to do if he was scum.  The fact that scum wasn't playing well also meant that I felt pretty safe myself so no need to defend myself unless I claimed, which wasn't going to happen at this point.

And that's the thing that scum did wrong.  They were willing to let Alex hang out to dry, but, the thing is.  You guys needed to off the people he was clearing so that it looked like his investigations were just for show.  Sure, he was right, but he was also getting rid of the pool of people he was right about so that he could conceivably hit LYLO with people left who weren't cleared.  At which point, you'd probably have somebody cleared against Alex and someone not cleared.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 10, 2008, 08:16:24 PM »
Good game all, this was pretty fun.

Agreeing on the setup being moderately protown, if we had a self-protectable doctor in addition to two BPs *and* the rules of the game more or less cleared any victim of a failed attack.  As play turned out though it didn't reaaallly matter.

Like everyone's mentioned, scum shot themselves in the foot by not killing me or any of my investigation targets.  What I thought would happen was that I'd be roleblocked and then lynched; initially I thought the only reason I got the investigation on Xanth off was that scum devoted their roleblocker to killing Cid or at least stopping his plan.  When it became clear scum didn't actually have one, well... as long as a cop claimant can keep providing results, there's no reason for town to lynch them until they have to.  And even if they did eventually lynch me, the truth would come out and scum would be stuck dealing with all the people who were now 100% cleared by my flip.

They also shot themselves in the chest by letting their GF go down day 1, but be that as it may.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 10, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
For the record, Affinity was right on my day 2 shenanigans: what I really wanted to be sure of was Alex's alignment, because scum getting away with a cop claim would've been disastrous. If Alex really was a cop, he'd come back on day three with the right answer (albeit, probably a little perplexed about it) and we'd at least be sure of his sanity. If we was scum, he'd probably come back saying "scum," I'd roleclaim, and we'd lynch him. Of course, I couldn't make it 100% obvious what the gimmick was, because then a theoretical scum Alex could've guessed what I was up to and tailored his "investigation result" to match. So I had to play like I'd be doing something overnight instead of, y'know, being a passive role. Apparently I was too cryptic for Alex, though (probably doesn't know me well enough; Super got it, at least!) Oh well.

Fundamentally, it didn't make a difference whether or not scum knew I was up to something just as long as they weren't sure on the specifics; if they'd roleblocked me, I would've been notified and could've taken this into account the next day when Alex shared his results. Roleblocker on Alex could've fouled things up (that or me getting killed, but I knew that was a risk going in since the role list included Hitman). I figured, worst case scenario, I'd make myself a target and scum would focus on me, freeing up the active town roles for the night.

~

PM'd Rat right after I got killed guessing Bard/Affinity for the remaining scummies. Half right!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:59 PM »
Yeah, Cid, I thought at first you were claiming watcher or something, but if you were town I didn't see a way roleblocking and/or killing YOU would not cause the plan to fail.  Which is why I eventually came around to thinking, if you were town, you were completely bluffing to draw the night's block and really just wanted me to get an investigation off on someone, so hitting you would be a waste.

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
Lol, sorry I missed the chance to defend myself on the last Day. Not that I was going to put up much of a token defense.

My voting pattern was pretty screwed up, yes. I tried to leave myself open to go between Xanth and Sopko on Day 1 when the Sopko wagon appeared, but Sopko's lack of a post at the end of the Day forced me to decide to not vote at all. Don't know if it was better or not to have jacked one of the last 2 vote spots from Xanth/Alex.

I really did miss out on the timing for the Tom lynch. Went to bed an hour before the copclaim and came back to see Tom at L-1 and no reply from him yet. Could only offer a token "approval" to lynch Tom.

I'd like to say that for some reason, I guessed El-Cid was a bulletproof. So when Bardiche and I discussed the N2 kill, that's partially my reasoning I went after him too. I also thought that by eliminating what we thought would be Alex's investigative target that Night, we'd put him in a bind. So yes, at that moment, we were preemptively trying to kill Alex's targets. In retrospect, our biggest mistake was ignoring KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), and not offing the Cop with our guaranteed Hitman kill.

After Kilga brought the case out on Bardiche, I tried to hop on the bus, but I took too long with my posts and Alex and Strago beat me to earlier spots. Really bad on my part and I didn't seem to argue that point really well.

I guess Night 3 is probably the most unusual part. I was still ignoring KISS and felt I should leave Alex alive. At the same time, I was worried about the power roles, either a Doctor or a Watcher. I didn't want to drop Corwin or Strago because I found them as Vanilla Townies on N1 and N2. In retrospect, I need to remember to rolecop halfway scummy people to find out if they're worth leaving alive for possible lynch bait or just kill them off at Night for safety. I didn't want to kill Affinity because you guys tended to link the 2 of us together. Felt Andrew and Excal were possible targets for Day 4 lynch. That left Xanth and Kilga. I figured a Doctor/Watcher would be on either Alex or Xanth so I went Kilga.

Needless to say, I thought a Doctor outsmarted me and picked the first person to bring up the Bardiche wagon for protection. And as for Night 4 choice... I random number generated it because I knew I wouldn't make it past Day 5. Got Kilga again. Needless to say when I read the email saying "kill fails," I go WTF... there's 2 bulletproofs.

Sorry we didn't put up much of a fight. I'm not really as peeved at the setup (even though I probably should be) as I am about my personal play. I think I intentionally cleared too many people in my arguments and that left it really difficult for me to find a case to latch onto as well as a vote to go to. I have to remember that Townies are generally suspicious of everyone. Otherwise, I think it was a good learning experience. The most lopsided losses and the closest losses tend to be the ones I learn the most from. This one definitely fits into the former.

Bardiche

« Reply #439 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:19 PM »
I still think the two lovers being scum together was bastard modding, though. >>

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
Haha, there was no talk of it after Day 1 though.

Btw, I think in Night 2, we were kind of in the go for broke mode. We'd drop El-Cid and hoped Alex would be considered for Day 3. If not, Bardiche would use his last Hitman to off Alex even if he was watched on Night 3. But since Bardiche died via lynch, we were dead there. In that regard, I shouldn't have tried to bus him at all on Day 3. I tried to play things too fancy throughout the game.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 10, 2008, 10:01:43 PM »
Setup was rather chunkily protown, I really wasn't happy with myself at around day two. I expect insane cop/millers to force a mislynch or two, scum to fail a kill or so due to high protection rate (but not many more due to hitman), but limited shots/scum getting themselves lynched so smoothly weren't really conductive to that. Apologies to the mafia, you had it rough.

Not to take away from the remarkably solid town play, of course. >_>

Cid is probably MVP this game for blowing Soppy away on day one and pretty much setting the pace of the game from thereon in. Akane and Kazuya were scum via dice, not via getting rigged, I assure you!
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 10, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
Wish I lived past day 1. I called Alex and Excal out to Rat immediately after being killed. Bad communication between scum also hurt us, which is my bad.

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 10, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »
Ah yea, a Cop is a Cop, even if he is insane. I have a new philosophy for Scum.

I Now Declare You Murder All Cops!

INDYMAC!

*stress relief, and I know where their Headquarters are*

Bardiche

« Reply #444 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »
So what were all the roles?

Scum RoleCop
Scum two-shot Hitman
Scum Godfather

Town Bulletproof Miller
Town Doctor
Town... secondary Bulletproof Miller?
Town Insane Cop

Any others?

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
Nope that's pretty much it. Actions...

Night 1
Alex - Investigate DT
Excal - Protect Excal
Kiro - Investigate Corwin
Bardiche - Kill Cid (no Hitman shot)

Night 2
Alex - Investigate Xanth
Excal - Protect Alex
Kiro - Investigate Strago
Bardiche - Kill Cid (Hitman shot)

Night 3
Alex - Investigate Andrew
Excal - Protect Excal
Kiro - Kill Kilga (Bulletproof!)

Night 4
Alex - Investigate Corwin
Excal - Protect Alex
Kiro - Kill Kilga (Bulletproof!)

All from memory, I lack the accurate records.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »
I actually didn't think I lurked any more than usual day 1, hilariously enough.

The danger of an early copclaim, to the rest of town, is if they claim to be perpetually roleblocked (which is what scum should do if they have a roleblocker).  If scum DON'T have a roleblocker, they need to kill the cop ASAP, since even if they do eventually get lynched that will just confirm all the results they've been producing.

Mind you, in any other game I wouldn't have claimed with a single scum result.  Only reason I did so was because we lynched scum day 1, so taking out a second would kill their night role potential.  I knew it was a risk and it didn't work out.  Sorry bout that, Tom.

I'd vote Kilga for MVP.  His case on Bard was not only great work and super solid, it was sufficient to draw kills to him as a bulletproof.  Really nice stuff.  Cid would be up there too if the plan hadn't failed and resulted in his death.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2008, 01:30:03 AM »
:(

Oh well, I did what I could. No hard feelings!

And as soon as I saw you (Alex) still alive on day 3, knowing the setup, I knew we'd won >.>

Go town!

My thoughts on setup: Too random. Scum could have won just as easily as town did, with only a difference in luck. Millers & insane cop could have ended up in 4 mislynches, without gameplay coming into it. And scum could have been fucked over by protections, like we saw (especially with confirmations thrown in).

Still was fun, for the time I was in it for.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Affinity

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
Well, I don't think I have much to say on my end.  I would attribute part of my inactivity to the fact that the peak hours are during my sleep, but overall I didn't play too well, and really didn't feel up to building up full cases on anyone.  El-Cideon gets the MVP in my book due to pretty much nailing Sopko and luring a bullet, as someone has said above.