Register

Author Topic: My-Hime Mafia  (Read 58080 times)

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
Re: My-Hime Mafia
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »
Woah, deadline's coming up even sooner than I thought. I really don't have much of anything to add right now other than... let's lynch Sopko and not Xanth?

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2008, 09:54:44 PM »
##Unvote: Xanth
##Vote: Hunter Sopko

I debated doing this now or waiting until it was possibly necessary later on, given it's the big swing vote, but the result was me playing headgames of "do I want to risk staying on Xanth and watch Sopko flip scum or do I want to risk swinging and watch Sopko flip town?" since both scenarios will cause unnecessary distractions down the road, but I don't have an excuse to not vote for Sopko given I think he looks worse than Xanth, and, well, fortune favors the brave and all that.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Day 1, Votecount!

EvilTom: Kilgamayan, Strago, Xanth
AndrewRogue: Excal
Corwin: HunterSopko
Affinity: Bardiche
Excal: Xanth, SirAlex
El-Cideon: Affinity, Kiro
Bardiche: El-Cideon
Kilgamayan: EvilTom, Corwin, El-Cideon, SirAlex
SirAlex: Xanth, Corwin
Xanth: HunterSopko, SirAlex, EvilTom, Kilgamayan, El Cideon, AndrewRogue
Strago: Kiro, Affinity
HunterSopko: El Cideon, Excal, Strago, Corwin, Kilgamayan

7 to lynch, .5 hours remaining or so.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Xanth

• Denizen
  • Girls go on dates on Valentine's Day?
    • View Profile
Dashboard Forensics Gorilla
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
I'm still around. Disappeared a bit for dinner. I'm mostly surprised that Sopko hasn't been back yet when I thought I've seen him on.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2008, 10:46:15 PM »
Does anyone have any last minute thoughts? I notice Alex sort of vanished after appearing pro-lynch Soppy. What about you, Xanth?

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »
I don't think whatever Sopko is typing up will save him since Town will always lynch and there's no time left. He has a 2 vote gap to make up. It'd have to be something really revealing to get people to switch back to Xanth or something. Standing by.

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Mask Twixmas Liner
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »
Andrew: I certainly support lynching Sopko over myself. On the other extreme, he's not my personal top choice, and while I see the general argument against him I'd say that he's not the worst of the lurkers.

What I find most convincing is his lack of an appearance now. Just giving up? It wasn't even looking like it was going his way until very recently.

If you want the paper trail, though, I certainly support it enough to drop a vote on it if you want me to. It'd just be symbolic given the situation, though.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:49 PM »
10 minutes to go. Posting to stay that I'm sticking with my decision unless Sopko can convince me otherwise.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Stump Almond Frog
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2008, 10:59:59 PM »
Well, let's have: ##Vote: Sopko for posterity, then.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »
You, uh, kinda need to unvote for that to count. >_>

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:04 PM »
Ack sorry.  Little busy today.
I'm down with Sopko though.  

Big FoS at Kilga for his latest post though.  Townies who are hunting scum in good faith should never ever hold back on voting for fear of looking scummy.  If you think Soppy's more likely scum, vote him.  Reluctance to do so is noted.

There was a vote here but I see Xanth ninja'd me for the -1 I think?  Willing to hammer, any last comments though?

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
Actually this is pretty much deadline so

##Unvote Xanth
##Vote Soppy

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:26 PM »
If you think Soppy's more likely scum, vote him.

I did!

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Weed Van Baps
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2008, 11:05:29 PM »
Score another one for the bumbling Xanth claim. Thanks/sorry.

##Unvote: Tom
##Vote: Sopko

Ninja: okay, so now I'm hammering. I'd say 'last call for stuff' first, but I'm likely to get cut off by the deadline anyway.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Day 1, Votecount!

EvilTom: Kilgamayan, Strago, Xanth
AndrewRogue: Excal
Corwin: HunterSopko
Affinity: Bardiche
Excal: Xanth, SirAlex
El-Cideon: Affinity, Kiro
Bardiche: El-Cideon
Kilgamayan: EvilTom, Corwin, El-Cideon, SirAlex
SirAlex: Xanth, Corwin
Xanth: HunterSopko,SirAlex, EvilTom, Kilgamayan, El Cideon, AndrewRogue
Strago: Kiro, Affinity
HunterSopko: El Cideon, Excal, Strago, Corwin, Kilgamayan, SirAlex, Xanth

STOP

HAMMERTIME

HunterSopko, aka Okuzaki Akira, Scum Godfather, was lynched!

Send in actions.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:17:58 PM by Carthrat »

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2008, 11:22:41 PM »
Angry shouts, heated defences, and searing putdowns characterised the discussion that followed. Girls will, it seem, be girls. Suspicion first turned to Suzushiro Haruka, on account of her loud voice and blonde (so very blonde) hair. But a new opinion rapidly surfaced...

"Identifying probable criminal: Okuzaki Akira," stated Miyu, twisting to face the boy with a whirring sound. "Analysis depicts minimal levels of stress. Prior relationship to secondary victim not having typical emotional effect. Suggest termination."

"Yeah!" shouted Tate, nodding.

"Yeah!" shouted Ishigami, nodding and pushing up his glasses.

"HELL yeah!" shouted Shizuru, before everyone looked at her rather strangely. "I mean, um, fufufu, a most excellent idea, Miyu-san. Let us be about it."

Akira started to back off from the array of angry people glaring at him, but soon discovered that he was surrounded. Biting his lip, he shook his head. "Are you guys nuts? I'd never do anything to hurt Takumi!"

"You can't escape! We all know your secret!" snorted Haruka, rolling her eyes, causing Akira to yelp, and she reached out to grab him by the shirt. Akira struggled, and the buttons came loose, revealing bindings wrapped around her chest. Dumbfounded for a moment, she scratched her eye. "Ummmm.... this is a sign of guilt, right?" she asked the public, withdrawing a giant mace from thin air.

"Haruka is a Hime?" blurts out Mikoto, but Haruka shakes her head. "This is just natural," she clarifies, before winding up for a hit.

"Avenge me, comrades!" cried the boy-turned girl.

And then, Okuzaki Akira was never seen again.

Everyone dispersed for the day, slightly worried by Akira's comments. Could they face retribution? Perhaps not, as when they gathered again the following day, everyone seemed to still be safe and sound...

<->

It is Day 2!

1. Fujino Shizuru (Corwin)
2. Sugiura Midori (SirAlexTheFirst)
3. Yuuichi Tate (Excal)
4. Minagi Mikoto (AndrewRogue)
6. Kuga Natsuki (DreadThomas)
7. Ishigami Wataru (Strago)
8. Miyu (El-Cideon)
9. Kazuya Kurauchi (Bardiche)
10. Senou Aoi (Kilgamayan)
11. Suzushiro Haruka (Xanth)
12. Yuuki Nao (Affinity)
13. Higurashi Akane (Kiro)

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch. There are 48 hours remaining.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2008, 11:29:54 PM »
Oh sweet sweetness. I am so pumped. Also am coming down with a nasty cold and am having trouble being lucid or thoughtful, but: quite pumped by these developments.

Also, funny how I've only been in two games where we managed to nail Scum on Day 1, and both times it happened to be the Godfather. When it rains it pours, I guess. Rad.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:28 PM »
Well, that was interesting.

Andrew and Dread Thomas!  Top three people you think are town, top three people you think are scum, and reasons why.

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2008, 12:12:48 AM »
Some initial thoughts about the Sopko wagon yesterday.

El-Cideon looks pretty good for stating his suspicions of it and casting the first vote. I highly doubt he'd be scum bussing on a brand new wagon when Xanth and Tom were relevant issues. Sopko posted after that and within an hour, got 3 more votes. The rest of it falls into place as the deadline expires.

Kilga's post that has his Sopko vote kind of takes stock into how he's the swing vote that drops one from Xanth and puts one onto Sopko changing the dominant wagon. I don't know if he'd be gutsy enough to bus the Godfather, but it can't be discounted.

Xanth had his vote for posterity and then had to redo it because he forgot to unvote. A bit hasty it seems to get in on it. It was an obvious choice at that point though because it was either Sopko or himself, but he expressed more concern over the lurkers like Affinity. Due to No Lynch not being a part of this game's setup, I don't understand the extra effort to put in a vote especially when you aren't quite as gung ho about the eventual lynch.

Ditto for Alex. I guess you came in, but your vote at deadline made little difference except to cement a point that you can't claim as your own.

While I could see scum getting in on the end of it all, there are also lurkers that need to speak up. Mainly Affinity and Bardiche. At this point, I know I saw Affinity on the forums just now so I'll prod with a ##Vote Affinity. There's lots to comment on.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
Pushy, pushy Alex. :p

Frankly... I'm not quite sure at the moment.

The fact is, I got cold feet about that lynch train at the last minute due to the apparent reluctance of individuals to actually bring down the hammer on Sopko, as I started to wonder if some people were trying to avoid being the hammer vote. In turn, this wasn't exactly cured by the clumsy, last minute effort to actually hammer him and the revelation that he was Godfather, since that puts a whole new spin on the entire situation. Which leaves me in a particularly awkward position.

As it stands at the moment, since you clearly want me to say what I feel, due to what happened at the very end of the day, I would probably consider all three of Xanth, Alex and Kiro as the most suspicious candidates at the moment. I'll be reviewing the incidents yesterday to see if that actually stands up under closer scrutiny, though. To facilitate things, though...

##Vote: Kiro

No vote at all! Why? Alex and Xanth at least provided presence and put themselves out there (if... awkwardly) throughout the day and at the end. What about you?

On the positive side... mrmf. Frankly, I'm not confident enough to judge anyone on the townie side at the moment, and think I need another flip to make that call.

So it doesn't get lost in the shuffle: Excal, I would still like an exact quote from my post in regards to your metagaming content yesterday when you get a chance. ^_^

Xanth

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Seed Sling Gauntlet
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2008, 12:59:48 AM »
Here, but off to bed-ish.

Kiro: my vote was never going to make me look better, regardless of the result. It was mechanically useless (as I think I must have said?), but pins me to another stance. I was apparently wrong not to doubt Sopko more, but I didn't want my opinion to sink into just 'there's no helping it, it's him or me'. I'm aware that him flipping scum is likely to reflect badly on me for not pushing harder.

Oddly, contrary to how I remember it, a quick skim places Affinity as the first person to stab at Sopko, and Strago a bit before El Cid started to put on the pressure, so it's more frustrating that Affinity has been absent. El Cid does look the best of the three to me at the moment for putting it together, though.

I was beginning to worry about Excal flying under the radar, but it was his post here that really started the rush towards Sopko's lynch. This would have just worried me even more if not for Sopko being mafia, but as it is I'm back on a not-scum reading there as well.

Still primarily concerned with Tom, unless people agree that this has been standard fare for him as town.

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:48 AM »
@AndrewRogue: Yea, I knew I had to address this part today.

With the speed of the bandwagon about 2 hours before deadline, I wanted to see if Sopko would post again. The wagon between Xanth and Sopko was pretty even at that point so if he could explain himself, I'd make my decision there. I saw him online leading up to deadline, but he actually never got anything in. I decided to hang back and see who would rush in to vote at the end because it was ceremonial at that point.

Yes, I am a part of that awkward group at the end, but I felt it prudent to wait for a defense that never came. I fully expected to take some heat on this, so people can grill away.

Cut by Xanth: Pinning yourself to a stance you didn't have before is relatively pointless. My hanging back in not voting was primarily to see if you would rush in. I know your vote if he flipped scum wouldn't make you look better, but I wondered if it would make you look worse. In the end, I have to think about that more.

Affinity

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2008, 01:43:38 AM »
Alright, I'm sorry for being absent.  Apparently, time zone differences ensure that most of the actions happen in my sleep; when I woke up, 2 pages of text were added, and I didn't have a chance to post.

Personally, I think EvilTom is not too bad, even though I disagree with his 'manipulation point', a few things pointed out by Xanth and others, failure to admit mistakes, and the attitude that it is perfectly fine to do something wrong as long as someone else is doing it here.  Of course, he is not cleared by any means.  Xanth, howver, sounds a little worse to me.  He has raised many many valid points towards Tom, but his overall tone of voice is much more grating than Tom's, especially in this paragraph, and less sincere

Xanth: first you said you were on Kilga's side. Then you said Kilga didn't have a side. That was the odd contradiction.

Big inconsistency right here, people. Check the end of Tom's post here for where he claims I've contradicted myself. You'll note that not only does the quotation in question have nothing to do with Kilga, the post where I say that 'Kilga had no side', but this second quote he's now using to justify this contradition comes after the post where he claims there's a contradition. In fact, it was in the same post where I respond to that claim. Try again.

Calling it a 'big inconsistency' is rather dubious due to the fact that I genuinely believed that you made a contradiction there and I would have made that point if I was around. Also, note the contrast between how Tom said what he wanted to say and how Xanth did.  If we're talking about honest mistakes, it is much more easily abscribed to say, Tom, then Xanth in my opinion.  So if I had to vote between these two, I would vote him.

---

As for my thoughts on yesterday's lynch, I'm perfectly fine with it.  Not that it really means much, but I did point out that Sopko had been making rather shady comments and such first.  I'm not too suspect about say, Xanth's late jump into the bandwagon, since it was quite valid to suspect me over him (my apologies).  

As for Bardiche, I still don't see the shallow commentary style abscribed to him so far in this game, though I do agree that he hasn't been putting solid votes and stances on others.  So, I would extend the question by Alex to you, who do you think is the top three scum now and why?  

Strago seems rather fine to me; I'm alright with his response, but I still wouldn't really want to dismiss the jump at Tom as 'off-the-cuff thinking' and I'll keep that in mind if needed, I guess.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2008, 02:10:11 AM »
Had tried to post this late yesterday, but hammer came just as I hit the Preview button. C+P'd for posterity, tossing it out real quick before I get to analyzing new material. (There was some stuff about Soppy's silence only making him look worse which I've cut out; it's obviously irrelevant now).

Cid... comes off as mildly confrontational. I can't really put the feeling I get from his posts into words adequately. Can't help but wonder if anyone else thinks that.

What, me? Confrontational? What are you talking about?! Seriously though, examples would be nice.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2008, 03:42:15 AM »
My attention is primarily drawn by Xanth at the moment. A question directed at him first, then some conjecture on my part about his and Soppy's actions yesterday.

Kiro: my vote was never going to make me look better, regardless of the result. It was mechanically useless (as I think I must have said?), but pins me to another stance. I was apparently wrong not to doubt Sopko more, but I didn't want my opinion to sink into just 'there's no helping it, it's him or me'. I'm aware that him flipping scum is likely to reflect badly on me for not pushing harder.

I'm forced to ask "Why?" in response to the sentence I've underlined. Self-preservation in such situations is a wholly understandable motivation for a townie. We generally don't automatically suspect someone for being ready "to vote for someone not me" (since the only thing a townie knows for sure is that he is in fact a townie), so I'm forced to question your claim that this is why you didn't vote for Sopko. And I'll echo Kiro's comment that "pinning yourself to a stance you didn't have before is relatively pointless." You didn't express enthusiasm or significant support for his lynching until we'd nearly nailed the coffin shut. I find this particularly telling:

I'll vote to save my own skin if I have to, but I'd rather the attention was on Tom (can't answer before deadline, I know). I can't say I'd be against lynching Sopko, but would still put him behind Affinity for the obvious and probably also Bardiche for the aforementioned style. I'd prefer he talked about more, but I've felt that Sopko's been fairly incisive in his points on me.

Again, I wish to direct attention to the underlined sentence. What about Affinity made him such an obvious choice at the time? Affinity is one of the least active posters in this game, but he was on a par with Sopko at that time and did not have a notably lower level of contribution to discussion (remember, all Sopko had when people started poking at him was a couple one-liners; it's not hard to beat that). This comment of yours is even more puzzling given that there was no noteworthy case on Affinity making the rounds at the time (the only vote he'd received was a jokevote from Bard). I just scanned through the entire topic, and you yourself had never once mentioned him before touting him as an "obvious" alternative to Sopko. So what made him such a clear candidate all of a sudden? My speculation is that you were trying to deflect heat from a scumbuddy who was (quite unexpectedly) crashing and burning. I believe that the timing of how the trains played out yesterday supports this:

-Sopko backed away from the Xanth train twelve hours from the end of the day. As it turned out, this is not an unreasonable amount of time in which to totally turn a train around. Tom had two votes on him at that time, and others (myself included, also Alex) expressing misgivings about Tom could conceivably have been persuaded to vote against him. It would've been feasible for scum to try to railroad Tom had the Soppy lynchtrain not materialized.

-As Sopko was in no danger himself at the time of his unvote (no one had voted for him yet, and I think it's safe to assume that the scum did not see the train on him coming given how late in the day that happened), I don't believe he did it specifically to spread confusion amongst the town. Had he already been going down in flames, I could accept the unvote being interpreted as a deliberate piece of misinformation designed to send town into WIFOM convulsions, but, again, Sopko surely had no idea at that time that he was going to die.

-His stated reason for unvoting Xanth is obviously bunk because he's scum and lying is his job, so what does this leave us with? Scenario A) Sopko wanted to avoid being seen helping to kill a townie (if Xanth is town). I find this unlikely; Sopko had not invested a great deal of text in the case against Xanth (his vote on Xanth, way back on page one, had only a sentence to justify it; I believe it was just a placeholder vote that Soppy could use to make himself look active while waiting for a good train to hop on) and probably wouldn't have gained much townie cred from backing off. Scenario B) Sopko, apparently not a suspect himself at that time, decided to take a risk in order to save a scumbuddy and direct attention towards someone else. The latter part of that plan, of course, got waylaid by the case against Soppy himself.

Anyone, please tell me if you spot holes in this theory. Admittedly a lot of this is conjecture into scum planning, which can be a dubious enterprise. But I believe the scenario is realistic given the timetable involved and it only helps shore up my other problems with Xanth. Altogether, this feels like my best bet right now:

##Vote: Xanth

~

Other comments:

1) Bard needs a Vote More prod. I'm not seeing anything on the record except for his opening jokevote. His long absence is also not encouraging. The last time he was active, he claimed he'd return in eight hours or so and failed to post again before the end of the game-day (and he had well more than eight hours before deadline). Definitely want to see more activity and more decisive opinions from him. Promising activity and not following through is a surefire way to attract the wrong kind of attention. So, here it is: GAoS (Gatling Arm of Suspicion) in his direction.

2) Tom's not really on the radar at present, despite my having some problems with him yesterday. May change if I turn out to be wrong on Xanth, but he's currently only a minor concern.

3) No one else looks especially bad right now. Vague townie read on Strago, unsure on others.

4) Wufghl. Yeah, that's enough typing for now. I'll stick around for another half-hour or so in case anyone responds.