imageRegister

Author Topic: DLCon 4: New Jersey...again...(aka MeepleCon!)  (Read 27022 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLCon 4: New Jersey...again...(aka MeepleCon!)
« on: December 04, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »
DATE: JULY 30th - AUGUST 2nd

Making a new topic since, well, things have changed so might as well do this for convenience!

Anyway, as many of you know, plans have changed, and DLCon4 is going to be in New Jersey.  Yes, we just had a Minimeet here.  Yes, we held DLCon1 here, but due to some issues that came up unexpectedly, we can't hold it in Pittsburgh, and well, for a number of reasons, I was chosen!  No, don't know why I volunteered.

My house will be the base of the Con, as opposed to Soppy's like it usually is.  This is in Wayne, NJ, which is in the north if you care (Cause Jersey is such a huge state, area wise *rolls eyes*)  In general, we will be doing stuff in the basement, which people who were at Minimeet can attest to is big enough for something like this and generally perfectly suited (also has Air Hockey, Ping Pong, and Pool) to hold a lot of people.

Now, first off, where will people be staying?  My house can hold a few people, obviously, but I want that to be for only people with actually good reasons, such like they're flying overseas, or some financial issue, etc.  Again, this is mostly a LAST RESORT and only for a few people (say, 4 people tops.)  Otherwise, Hotels is probably the place where people will be sleeping!

There is a Hotel about a Mile from my house.  Its walking distance, and the walk isn't too strenuous.  Up Hill from my house, but downhill the entire way to my house, though does go parallel to a relatively busy road; or of course you could just drive back and forth, but shh!

The Hotel in question is this one:

La Quinta Inn & Suites Wayne
1850 Highway/Route 23 North
Wayne, NJ  07470

Standard w/1 Bed        $85.00 USD       85.00  USD       
Accessible w/1 Bed    $85.00 USD    85.00 USD    
Standard w/2 Beds    $85.00 USD    85.00 USD    
Accessible Deluxe w/1 Bed    $85.00 USD    85.00 USD    
King Room w/Microwave-Fridge    $90.00 USD    90.00 USD

4 people per room makes this about 25$/night.  That's $100 for 4 nights total.  Works out about the same as DL Con 2.

(The note at the bottom is courtesy of OK)

For the record, Yakko slept in this very Hotel at DLC1...and I think Alex/CK eventually invaded as well, and they're all still alive, so I guess that's a good sign!  Its under new management since then IIRC, so I dunno what that means (believe it use to be called Wesley Inn)

For convenience, this Hotel is also right next to a bank, so if you need an ATM for whatever reason, there's one available right there.   Its also right near a shopping center with a Kohl's, Pizza Place and Chinese Restaurant, I believe, so there places to eat and shop for arbitrary things you'll probably not care about ever, making that Kohl's mention completely useless!

As far as Travelling goes...
The most convenient means of getting to Jersey via the Air would be to Newark International Airport.  This is about 45 minutes from my house, but has the upside of not involving going into to New York.  The other Airports that are acceptable (though I would prefer Newark...even if Super would advise against it <_<) would be JFK and La Guardia (Don't know their exact names, but they're both in New York.)  From here, you can probably take a bus from Port Authority to one of the Bus Stops in my general vicinity.  The two big ones are the Park and Ride near the Train Station (I'll look up the actual name of that in the future, don't worry! This is just labelling it so I remember it; the needed info will be known when the time comes) and the Stop at Willowbrook Mall.

That Bus thing is important for Greyhound People too, if there are any of those.  The closest Greyhound station I think is in fact in Port Authority, so its probably just easier taking a bus from there to Wayne.  I'll try and help you figure out which Bus to go on to get Wayne, of course.  Note that I WILL drive in and get you in worst case scenario, but a bus might just be easier in general.

(if you come into Newark, you can ignore all that bus ****.  Getting to Newark International is a lot easier, so me picking you up is not such a hard thing and what not.)

Anyway, here are the RECONFIRMS from the previous topic!  Note the wording; if you confirmed for DLCon Pittsburgh but haven't said anything since the change, you WILL NOT BE COUNTED!  Also, please post here if you're reconfirming and not on the list (or alternatively, confirming to come as a change or something...basically, just tell me if you're coming, if you're not, or if you're a maybe in this topic!)

The Con will happen on July 30th and lasts until August 2th or so; that's the current plan.  It should last 4 days (3 nights), but can be extended a day in each direction depending on what's convenient for people to come and such.

If there's a better date for most people, please speak up!  Note that it should be BEFORE Mid August; my parents stated they want to be in the general vicinity when the Con happens and they're going on vacation sometime mid august, so yeah; if the date changes, its likely earlier.  But for now, 30st of July -> August 2nd time period.

EDIT: Cause people have started buying tickets, this date *IS* Final.

Coming:
1. Meeplelard (...I think anyway...)
2. superaielman
3. CmdrKing
4. Metroidcomposite
5. Gatewalker
6. Xeroma
7. Shale
8. OblivionKnight (...and yes, I have a restraining order for my sister)
9. Hunter Sopko
10. Tonfa
11. Nitori
12. Notmiki
13. Niu
14. Djinn N Tonic
15. Dhyerwolf
16. Zenthor
17. Pyro
18. Grefter
19. Ciato
20. Mad Fnorder
21. Taishyr
22. Sage Acrin
23. Talaysen
24. Andrew Rogue
25. Lady Door

Probably:
1. VerySlightlymad

Probably/Definitely Not:
1. Snow
2. Monkeyfinger
3. Nephilim
4. Lady Ashe
5. Yoshiken
6. Excal
7. Scar
8. Doma Dragoon
9. Hal
10. Sir Alex
11. Clear Tranquil
12. Yakumo
13. Nephrite
14. Yoshiken
15. Ultradude
16. Elfboy

NOTE: Anyone who said "Planning on coming" and such I put in "Probably"; it sounds like you aren't quite certain but definitely intend to come and such, so yeah.

Also, people who live in this area, if you can help with transportation, that'd be appreciated.  Ditto to people driving up.  By this I mean either actually picking people up along the way to my house, helping people figure out the Bus system (applies mostly to NYC people here, who may actually have experience with the darn thing), etc.  Whatever you can contribute would be nice!

So that's all I have to say for now!  As usual, important stuff to be brought up here!  Note that its not worth trying to figure out exactly what we're doing quite yet, since we need to actually figure out whose going, how people are getting here, etc.  I'll make a separate topic in due time for actual events to plan!  This is for all the technical, yet important stuff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:33:24 PM by OblivionKnight »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: DLCon 4: New Jersey...again...(aka MeepleCon!)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:19:52 AM »
Put me under maybe

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »
I think I asked this before but whatever:  Is anyone from the West Coast planning on, for some blood clot in the brain or other malfunction, planning on driving up to the con?  If so, I'll be glad to pay for gas, drive, provide rip snorting humour, and piss and moan on command in exchange for a ride.   Unless you're [insert your username here] in which case I hate you get hung.

Also considering a flight up to Jersey will probably cost a bit more than driving up there if split between a few people this will increase my chances of showing up.  I'm reluctant to say this because some forces (re: twats) might not want me to make the con 500% more awesome, but that's a gamble I'm willing to stick my dick in.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 05:37:36 AM by Zenthor »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »
Put me down for probably, as I can't be 100% sure what I'll be doing then. July 31 is my last day of class, so likely I won't be there for 100% of the festivities, but close enough.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:55:32 AM »
If it's after the Bar, I'll swing by at least. Dunno if I'll attend all four days.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »
I really want to come.

A flight from Japan to New Jersey is already pretty expensive. And if I come back to the States, I'm pretty much obligated to see my immediate family down in Florida while I'm there (after the con), so I'm already looking at some pretty hefty travel expenses. The extra $100 for a hotel doesn't sound fun, and neither does a bus ride (for all that it's probably not too expensive, at least).

My coming also hinges on whether or not I can get a large enough chunk of time off to both attend the con AND visit my family.

Really, it would be more economical to just not go... but god dammit I already bought a bunch of game paraphernalia souveniers for you losers and they're cluttering up my house! Guess I'll have to come.

-DJ

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »
I really want to come.

A flight from Japan to New Jersey is already pretty expensive. And if I come back to the States, I'm pretty much obligated to see my immediate family down in Florida while I'm there (after the con), so I'm already looking at some pretty hefty travel expenses. The extra $100 for a hotel doesn't sound fun, and neither does a bus ride (for all that it's probably not too expensive, at least).

My coming also hinges on whether or not I can get a large enough chunk of time off to both attend the con AND visit my family.

Really, it would be more economical to just not go... but god dammit I already bought a bunch of game paraphernalia souveniers for you losers and they're cluttering up my house! Guess I'll have to come.

-DJ

You could just mail them out and continue to not meet up with people like the antisocial [genitalia] you are.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »
Perhaps, but with shipping costs the way they are, it's arguably less expensive to bring them in a suitcase rather than trying to ship them by mail. Additionally, I get the bonus of having travelled. Even if it means I'll have to suffer for my anti-social tendencies by being around -people- (well, if Zenny counts as people, that is) ... >.>;;

-Djinn

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 09:27:41 PM »
I really want to come.

-DJ

You and the other overseas fliers would get first dibs at spending the night at Meep's house at least.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
Lucky them.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:37:40 PM »
Being emo?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »
I'm going to Meeple's house OH MY GOD!
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 06:22:48 AM »
I guess put me down under maybe.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Zenny, prefer it if someone driving could give me a ride (I live in Illinois, so I think it's on the way for people west of me?), that'd be great.  I'd be willing to chip in for gas and whatever else, of course.  Can't offer to drive unless you want the car wrecked and/or yourselves all dead.  But yeah.

If that's not possible I'll look at some other options.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
Why yes, I'll be going actually.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:35:29 PM »
Goddammit, now I have to actually think about going again
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
Don't think I'm going myself. The dollar fluctuation is hitting the country pretty hard, and I'm in a bit of a money pinch as is. Oh well.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »
Oh, forgot to mention this, but I think its worth noting...

I have 2 dogs.  So if there are allergies or some such, and this will be a problem, it'd be good to know this now, so we can discuss how to deal with it.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 03:03:41 AM »
I will probably be coming to this.

Taishyr

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »
Mild allergies. Nothing that will be an issue unless I sleep there two nights in a row for some unfathomable reason.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:24 PM »
No allergies, but one of your dogs might get raped.

Fair warning.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 04:34:29 AM »
I'm running the music quiz for Meeple this year. It'll be 55 normal questions and 10 bonus. Feel free to PM me via the board with one track you'd like to see in. Same as last year's, pretty much. I'm working on prizes right now.

Also: For our overseas congoers (CT/Tonfa off the top of my head), I'll be starting up a con fund/helping with planning to defray costs. If you want to chip in a bit to help with that, contact me via IM/board PM. Etc etc, the usual there.
-------------------

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »
Can't say for sure right now, whether I'll go or not, but highly likely.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
Stick me in the maybe column.  At least this year the anime con is before August, so I don't need to worry about a conflict there.  It's just a matter of money where I'll be employed at the time.

By the by, maybe we should stick the tentative dates for this con in the first post so that those of us who need to plan can do so better?

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
I can go under maybe pending scholarship issues~
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 07:45:38 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 05:47:07 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/2008/12/18/news/companies/airfares_jetfuel/index.htm Relevant especially for those flying overseas. I'll be keeping an eye on it (As it could really effect things big time). Contentinal can still go die however.
-------------------