Register

Author Topic: Discworld Mafia is go!  (Read 111022 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld Mafia is go!
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »
## Unvote,  ##Vote: Sopko

We gotta stop meeting like this, Sopko.  Regardless, you're going after Quiet Rain pretty hard for a) saying things you didn't find particularily helpful, and b) being mildly sarcastic about it.

Honestly, if you were going to jump her, I could accept it if it were for stepping in to defend a nullity, someone who has given no indication of what he is whatsoever, and giving an excuse for saying nothing.  But what you're calling her out for isn't for anything suspicious, but because she's not treating Otter like he's some kind of china doll?  Yes, we do need to be civil with our fellow townies, but we don't need to coddle people.  Especially when it means you have to drastically alter who you are in order to be non-offensive.

I'd call QR up on her defense.  But, Sopko's already made her give an adequate defense of it.  And, I think I'll finish this off by pointing out a trend I've noticed in recent games.  Savy scum have realised that low post counts damn them, and like to pad their count in the joke phase, where they can say a lot of nothing and not get called on it.  Rat and Tom look like the only ones I might call on that tell, though.  With a possibility for Smodge, who also got on with Tom at about the second half of Page 2, early Page 3.  And Rat's just been all over the place.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »
Call me crazy, but I don't think Otter needs vote incentive to talk.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 11:35:59 PM »
I don't see a need to pad my post-totals if I don't have much to say, Commander.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »
Trying to spur discussion is padding vote count now?  Fancy that.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2008, 11:39:18 PM »
*Post count.  Bah.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »
I have yet to see a method that spurs day 1 discussion and actually works. I'd -like- to see one, sure, but as it stands, I'm skeptical that it can be done.

Smodge13

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2008, 12:13:42 AM »
Well seeing as Finali/Nitori was posting.

##Unvote: Nitori

May vote for Otter next if he doesn't start posting.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:49 AM »
Eh, the way I look at it, VSM, is that you can either sit back and hope conversation happens, or hope you can get something worth looking at.  Or you can just let the day go by.  In which case, why not just try and convince everyone the day's going to be a frigging crapshoot, and have everyone agree to take down Hatbot's choice and end the day quickly?

Either way, it's better to try, experiment, and at least try and leave more clues for later.  I know I've certainly used clues from Day 1 to help out much later along the line before (Sopko, giving a little too much away in hindsight back in FFT.  Pity the two people we cleared with that line of reasoning got killed that night.), so giving up on day 1 only hurts town.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2008, 01:13:56 AM »
I'm not giving up or advocating a random vote.

EVENTUALLY everyone will throw votes around in some sort of meaningful pattern, probably when the pressure's on at the end of the day, and that first vote is what we'll base our entire theories on for the rest of the game.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2008, 01:49:21 AM »
##Unvote, ##Vote: Unoriginal
Idiot >.>
It's never good town play to vote for yourself.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »

EVENTUALLY everyone will throw votes around in some sort of meaningful pattern, probably when the pressure's on at the end of the day, and that first vote is what we'll base our entire theories on for the rest of the game.

???

I'll give you enough benefit of the doubt to imagine you're being sarcastic!  If so, methinks it's misplaced based on the previous games I've played in and watched here.

I certainly HOPE people's end-of-day-1 votes aren't what you recommend basing theories on for the entire game!  Start of Day 2, sure, but with this many people, we'd better have better info from Day 3 on - heck, mid-Day 2 on - than just the first votes!
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »
Man, this is why I dislike working.  I get back and have pages of crap to wade through. >_>  Okay, so it has it's good points.  Like money.  Money is good.  Still, pages.  Grah.

Soppy, why did you jump on QR that fast like that?  It's not really like you, and for such flimsy and, in my opinion, totally worthless reasoning.  So she was joking.  During what we all treat as a joking phase.  About things that have actually happened before.  What's wrong with that, exactly?

Other than that, I don't see much of anything that strikes me as overly odd.  CK's trying to apparently keep tabs on everything that's going on whether it matters or not, I give that until midway day 2 before he gives it up as too much work. >_>  Otter not posting is unusual, but until I'm sure he's seen this I don't want to push TOO much.  We know he'll post when he has time, he always does, even when he's scum.  It's the lurkers that always lurk that nobody calls on it that are dangerous, not the people that don't post within five minutes of the game going up. 

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 02:28:14 AM »
##Unvote Unoriginal

Nothing really to say, first day and all.  Mostly just a post to say that "I AIN'TE DED"* and all.

*I'm also not Granny Weatherwax, I'm just swiping the sign**

**It's a Pratchet thread.  Expect footnotes.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 02:33:11 AM »

This, though, is actually kind of a Bad Thingtm, because if people only start throwing out "real" votes in the last few hours then we run the very real risk of getting into a last-minute clusterfeck the likes of which we've seen in the FFT and PW games, and it was only due to blind stinking luck that we ended up lynching scum in PW. The closer we get to deadline without making real headway, the easier it will be for scum to steer something their way by making trivial reasons for a lynch look big, or even by just going "well shoot we gotta lynch someone why not make it Person X." And the harder it is to distinguish between scum tells and town resignation. That being said, let's try and get some more discussion flowing, ja?

Right now I've got some alarms going off around EvilTom. He mini-wagon'd on Carthrat, and just recently voted for Unoriginal. Both strike me as notable. Even when you need ten votes to lynch, breaking the single jokevote barrier early on is a decently significant thing. And then he does it again for reasons which seem pretty obviously specious, to me. Hmm. The moreso since, now that I look at it again, Carth had already placed a vote against Unoriginal. Suicide plays aren't productive for town and should get people to take notice, but in reality Unoriginal's jokevote isn't any more insidious than anybody else's right now. Then there's Tom's weird response to Carth's vote against Unoriginal:

ZOMG another scumbus!

Get a new tell, Carthrat, this one is boring me~

I can't make heads or tails of this. It seems like a joke, that Tom would think that Carth was bussing Unoriginal, until you see that Tom has voted for Carth and Unoriginal. So I want to see more justification from Dread Thomas right about now. As far as I'm concerned, we can't afford to be in the joke vote stage any longer.

##UNVOTE: Otter
##VOTE: EvilTom

Now I'll take a long look at some of the others, but for now I wanted to get this out there.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2008, 02:38:30 AM »

???

I'll give you enough benefit of the doubt to imagine you're being sarcastic!  If so, methinks it's misplaced based on the previous games I've played in and watched here.

I certainly HOPE people's end-of-day-1 votes aren't what you recommend basing theories on for the entire game!  Start of Day 2, sure, but with this many people, we'd better have better info from Day 3 on - heck, mid-Day 2 on - than just the first votes!

Perhaps I misspoke. (Oh my goodness! I commited a Gaffe just before the first primary. My campaign is doomed!)
I'm obviously going to use FURTHER information to make my votes, but the day 1 voting record is essentially the first real information that we receive in this game, and therefor the basic foundation for all other rounds, like it or not. For example, even though the rest of the FFT game wasn't about Super/Otter/Hal/Whatever, this was the initial groundwork for the entire game.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2008, 02:38:53 AM »
I spelled "committed" incorrectly and it is driving me nuts.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »
Ok good, I can go back to voting for someone who looks like scum.

##Unvote Unoriginal
##Vote Carthrat

Response to Strago:
My original vote for Carthrat was a joke; apparently he's always scum (based on random coincidence). Apparently he also likes to scumbus. Jokevote.
Anyway, we got out of the jokevote phase, so I decided to clamp down on Unoriginal for exactly the reasons you just said. I made that point in my post when I voted for Unoriginal, actually. So you've presented nothing new there, you've just done it with a wall of text to look smarter.

I decided to assist Carthrat's vote on Unoriginal in order to get him to remove his self vote, which succeeded. Hopefully to apply some pressure too, in case he was bussing himself or something.

until you see that Tom has voted for Carth and Unoriginal
That.. doesn't... no. You see, the joke was in the vote for C-Rat. You can't reapply the statement to refer to that vote after the fact. Anyway, I've already explain my prefectly valid reason for voting for Unoriginal. The same valid reason you just presented.

Now, for why I'm returning my vote to C-Rat: His highly useless summary post on.. I think it was page 4. Basically it's his 'input for the day', lacking content (although it's day 1 so there isn't much content around, but it's still a poor effort). Looks like scum trying to avoid lurker detection.

Anyway, I hope that cleared things up for you?

Smodge13

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 02:42:41 AM »
I got to admit, i found that comment from Tom really confusing, it wasn't vote-worthy but is just a really really strange thing to say.
Especially because from previous situations, Tom seems to almost skip the joke phase and generally plays serious from the start, so is he Learning/Conforming or just acting really weird?

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2008, 02:43:38 AM »
Especially because from previous situations, Tom seems to almost skip the joke phase and generally plays serious from the start, so is he Learning/Conforming or just acting really weird?
I think you answered that one yourself.

Smodge13

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2008, 02:45:01 AM »
Dam forgot to quote it, not his previous comment i find confusing, THIS comment.

ZOMG another scumbus!

Get a new tell, Carthrat, this one is boring me~

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2008, 02:48:09 AM »
See my above post, it was a joke  ::)
I'd have thought that would be allowed for.. post 4 of the game.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »
Hmm.  On further review, I find this slightly odd.

##Vote: Carthrat for being scum, feeble denials won't save you this time!

This normally wouldn't seem like much of anything to me, except for two things.  One, it looks suspiciously like trying to play off of Rat always being scum, or at least looks that way to me.  Two, and more important, it's the third vote on someone when we're still in the jokevote phase of day one.  This could be a way to try and push the Rat off by hoping that when people start trying to decide on one person to vote for, well, Rat's already the closest!

So, since I'm not sure if I'm going to be back before the     line tomorrow or not and I don't want to be sitting on a total jokevote at day's end: ##Unvote: Cmdr_King, ##Vote: Corwin

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55:19 AM »
Quote from: Yakko
CK's trying to apparently keep tabs on everything that's going on whether it matters or not, I give that until midway day 2 before he gives it up as too much work. >_>

Actually!  It was just to get people reacting to me, ie talking about SOMETHING.  It had... well, modest success I guess.  I expected worse at least.

That said, nothing alarm-raising enough to merit a shift of the vote has happened thusfar, but we're a good 24 hours from deadline so I'm not too terribly worried.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:02 AM »
Anyway, we got out of the jokevote phase, so I decided to clamp down on Unoriginal for exactly the reasons you just said. I made that point in my post when I voted for Unoriginal, actually. So you've presented nothing new there, you've just done it with a wall of text to look smarter.

Apparently my wall of text has only served to outsmart myself. I was saying that I don't see any reason for going after Unoriginal thus far. He made a joke vote; it's nothing close to the sort of self-damaging things that we've seen Super or Captain K. do in previous games, but because there is a tenuous argument for it being harmful - enough for tenacious and eloquent scum to latch on to - I saw the two votes as suspect. That being said, I understand your jokevotes a bit better now. They still look bad for reasons I've made clear, but thanks for responding to my concerns.

Hrmmm. I agree with Yakumo that Corwin's vote against Carthrat doesn't look great. Nothing of my own to add until Corwin says more, but it's a good catch on Yakko's part.

I think it may be important to add that Shale has done nothing so far save a single joke vote, and yet has avoided notice from just about everyone. So hey, Shale! What's shakin'? Tell us what you're thinking, so far.

Final note for the moment: Otter. Start posting, dude. We're more than halfway through Day 1 and you've said nothing. I realize you probably just haven't been around, but I'd like to see some real insight from you right about now.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:37 AM »
On a re-read, Cranbud is just as bad as Corwin. They both put the vote to 3. But nothing has been said about that yet.
I find it strange Otter hasn't posted anything yet. It's been over 24 hours..
This is a real drag of a first day; what is it, 20 hours left and no real progress? I think we need to actively do... something. Com'mon town!