Author Topic: Discworld Mafia is go!  (Read 110933 times)

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld Mafia is go!
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »
I am really hoping other people chime in here.

##Vote: Kilgamayan

I'm leaving this out until I can go through the thread in more detail, because I still feel Kilga isn't clear, and also we're approaching deadline way too fast for my liking. Keep in mind that if we don't kill someone tonight, we could wind up in LYLO with 6 people alive instead of 5- this means there's one extra person we could accidentally lynch. For the love of god, we have to kill someone. Even if we do it totally blindly it's better than nothing, because it reduces the chances of us making a mistake tomorrow. And I just happen to feel that Kilga's one of the better candidates for extracting information at the moment.

I will follow this up before deadline.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 14, 2008, 02:12:03 AM »
Why do I find it strange I'm now of the same mind of Strago?

Backing Fnorder over Otter, then Fnorder over me was too much of a gambit for scum. I'm in agreement, seeing Excal turn on me, that we've seen scum in front of us the whole time. Excal tends to leave few tells behind when playing scum, and seeing as how all the people we've had thusfar that've displayed scumish behavior turn up town, I'm looking at Excal now. Rat too.

Kil seems to me to be telling the truth. It's too involved an explanation to really be lying, and that kind of power on scum is kinda... yeah. Especially in a high-cop/framer game. Rat turning on him also looks pretty bad.

##Vote: Excal

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 14, 2008, 02:24:50 AM »
It's kind of metagamey, but Kilga does look kind of suspect now that we've shown we don't have a doctor. So... doc-buster? Looks kind of far fetched.

On the other hand, why would he use a role-blocking power only once, if he had access to use it more than once? What could he gain as scum for sacrificing his power?

On the other hand, this would seemingly implicate Strago, as I believe Strago was the one who verified the role block power. Strago trying to get night-killed makes a degree of sense to me, I guess, but.... hmmm....

........Cranbud claimed to be a passive cop, right? He could investigate people not using powers or having passive powers? And Strago, if Bulletproof, would be just along the lines of what he said. Why would Cranbud tell the truth here, about Strago's powers? Did he figure that Otter and Strago could save him?

Why would he LIE about Strago if he were scum? Does this make sense to anyone? Did he believe that he could exonerate his buddy if he listed him as having a town power, but also listed Otter as is? That's kind of weird territory. Strago himself said that Cranbud was scum and we can't trust what Scum says, usually.

.............I think we're chasing ghosts (Wait! They're all dead!) here, on these lines but maybe not.
~~~~~~~~~
Sopko, what have you learned in the past two nights?

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 14, 2008, 02:33:48 AM »
It doesn't actually strike me as incredibly far-fetched that the scum might have a shot of Docbust to go against a single shot of Town Doc. Especially if the scum Docbust also would have broken through my Bulletproofness, and maybe it could have done just that.

........Cranbud claimed to be a passive cop, right? He could investigate people not using powers or having passive powers? And Strago, if Bulletproof, would be just along the lines of what he said. Why would Cranbud tell the truth here, about Strago's powers? Did he figure that Otter and Strago could save him?

Why would he LIE about Strago if he were scum? Does this make sense to anyone? Did he believe that he could exonerate his buddy if he listed him as having a town power, but also listed Otter as is? That's kind of weird territory. Strago himself said that Cranbud was scum and we can't trust what Scum says, usually.

VSM, could you rephrase these bits of your post? I don't think I'm following your line of questioning.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 14, 2008, 02:45:02 AM »
Oh, and Soppy already mentioned that last night he investigated Taishyr, who returned Lord Downey. Tai later confirmed this in his vanilla roleclaim.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:23 AM »
Sure.

Top Half = I don't understand why Cranbud would tell the truth about both your and Otter's roles. Although, he could have been trying to get the two of you to save him.

Bottom Half = If you were his friend, I don't get why he'd mention you or a power at all. It just seems like a big ol' loop of over-thinking things.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:50 AM »
I must have missed Sopko's comment. Bleh.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 14, 2008, 02:56:57 AM »
Thoughts on other people, VSM? Since you're around and do have a pretty significant power, we may as well keep hashing some things out.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 14, 2008, 03:33:15 AM »
I dislike how Sopko's slow-coppery is telling us basically just names first. Which is annoying to the extreme. We need better information than that. It'd be nice to get a second or even a third investigation on someone.

Excal still looks suspect to me for ways I wish I could quantify better. I'm liking Taish less because his role-claim looks really weird. And this is going to be odd: I hate it from the flavor text he put in.

Like, the flavor that he put into his own description links well with the flavor put into my description, which, while I mentioned my powers, I didn't make any note whatsoever of my flavor texts.

"It's a prestigious position or something like that; however, it doesn't have as much influence as Vetenari's position, and the position is well regulated, so I'm not allowed to use what powers I have as head of the Guild effectively."

This lines up pretty damn well with my flavor text. It leads me to believe that HIS text specifically mentions MY role. I'm not sure what's scummy about that if anything, but I don't like it.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:47 AM »
I really don't like it. It's metagamey as all hell, but why would town have a specific hint of my position put into it? It almost reads like a hint toward "Vetinari is in the game and has a great power."

Taishyr

« Reply #760 on: January 14, 2008, 03:48:08 AM »
I dislike how Sopko's slow-coppery is telling us basically just names first. Which is annoying to the extreme. We need better information than that. It'd be nice to get a second or even a third investigation on someone.

Excal still looks suspect to me for ways I wish I could quantify better. I'm liking Taish less because his role-claim looks really weird. And this is going to be odd: I hate it from the flavor text he put in.

Like, the flavor that he put into his own description links well with the flavor put into my description, which, while I mentioned my powers, I didn't make any note whatsoever of my flavor texts.

"It's a prestigious position or something like that; however, it doesn't have as much influence as Vetenari's position, and the position is well regulated, so I'm not allowed to use what powers I have as head of the Guild effectively."

This lines up pretty damn well with my flavor text. It leads me to believe that HIS text specifically mentions MY role. I'm not sure what's scummy about that if anything, but I don't like it.

My text does not mention your role. I was wondering how the head of an assassin's guild would be a vanilla town, wandered over to the Discworld Wiki, found that I effectively had (so it seems) what is a bit character whose only real connection to anyone is Vetenari, who my role, Downey, called "Dog-botherer" while in school. And then you came to rule the city while I became effectively a Head Bureaucrat. Also it seems like I'm kinda a suckup to Vetenari or something. I then proceeded to have fun with posting my claim. You can believe it or not, but it is truth; any relation to your PM is purely accidental.

All my role PM says is that I know poisons and that my position is well-known and well-regulated.

And before you start harping on me for having fun, I did the same sort of thing for my WoT roleclaim. "Shaidar Haran, at the right hand of the Dark One, his most powerful servant. Vig? No. SK? No. Cop? No. DOC?! No. MASON WHO HAD TO SEARCH FOR HIS PARTNER. His partner? NARG."

So yes. Hopefully that explains that.

Taishyr

« Reply #761 on: January 14, 2008, 04:09:52 AM »
And so there's no ambiguity here, since I realized there could be...

The line "I then proceeded to have fun posting my claim" should read closer to "I proceeded to have fun posting my claim this game day"; the former implies I only looked it up today, when I did at the beginning of the game.

I shouldn't post when sick, but that needed explanation.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:51 AM »
Update!

Excal (2): Strago, Hunter Sopko
Kilgamayan (1): Carthrat

With 7 alive it takes 4 to lynch.

There are 12.25 hours until the deadline. In case you need a reminder, there will be no lynch if a majority vote is not reached by that time.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #763 on: January 14, 2008, 07:09:10 AM »
I fully intend to be back before the deadline, but just in case...

##Vote: Strago

This is very much subject to change based on what I see (if anything) when I get back - it is made purely in the spirit of who I would miss the least (no offense, Strago <_<) if someone hits 4 while I'm asleep.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Taishyr

« Reply #764 on: January 14, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
Okay. Since I am feeling about ready to puke and pass out at the same time, it's probably time for me to get off the computer, so before I do that, I have an obligation to town to speak up regarding my current suspicions and actually vote, damnit.

VSM I consider all but cleared, and while I will continue to eye him... I do not believe him scum.

Carthrat... mmm, slight town. The main objection I have is the attacks without quotes toward EvilTom day 1. While the attack was sensible enough without them, those still rang a bit odd. This being said, most of your posts have been decently constructive and, while I think I miss some of the logic behind the Kilga lynch today, I would be inclined to say you're town.

Strago, neutral. I'm honestly not sure where to place him; vote record feels iffier than I would like, but his posts have been more solid than not and usually helped point out logical flaws. On the other hand, I'm not sure I know what to think regarding his role and the Bobbin Cranbud thing.

Question: You knew you were bulletproof, but avoided the claim so as to try and draw fire. I understand this. But wouldn't it have been obvious after Corwin died that they knew you had that? To make this more apparent: Corwin, a Vanilla Townie, was killed; you, someone who had not posted your role but instead kept it secret and made comments so as to draw attention, was not targeted. To me, your claim today makes it sound as if you had been hoping that they would target you even last night, but perhaps I read into it? Mrr.

Kilgamayan and Excal, slight scum.

Kilgamayan I've vaguely wondered about most of the game, since he's been triggering just vague things all game, and I've never been satisfied with either when he roleclaimed (though admittedly this was placated some by Strago noting that he was seemingly roleblocked by Kilgamayan) or the attack on VSM Day 2. Yes, getting people to speak is good, but you proceeded to make a fairly decent smokescreen out of the back-and-forth there when a simple vote on him and moving on to other people to spur discussion, I feel, would have sufficed to make your point. At the time, I would've considered you justified in the vote, even if I don't think I would have agreed (I honestly do not remember what I thought of you/VSM/Bobbin Cranbud at that time, but seem to recall leaning in VSM's favor even then).

A question: why did you roleclaim when you did, and not wait until Shale was in danger? You could have just made the observation that a docbuster was likely - why reveal to do so?

Excal... well. I've been thinking Excal was town for a fair large bit of the game, so what's changed? Pretty much... his last two posts of day 4.

Eh, the nature of scum is that you have info.  Specifically, you know who is scum, and who isn't.  Oddly enough, that's the same info that cops get.  So, given all Shale's said is "Town/Scum" stuff, with the sole exception of you, there's really just the non-Godfather Scum routine.

Now, if you flip town...

If you flip as non-ghost town, then suspicion goes straight to Shale.  That'd be something he called that wasn't true.  And something that wouldn't have an easy explaination either.

If you flip as a ghost townie, then things get a bit trickier.  Sopko looks like a prime target for going after, but I'd give him the next day most likely, in order to see how highly the scum seem to see him as a threat, as well as to see what he manages to learn.  If he's only playing at being a cop, then he'll not only make it to the last day, but he'll also have to dance fairly well to avoid tripping up with the story he's cooked up.

Aside from that, there's Strago, Rat, and Taishyr.

Taishyr feels the most solid of these three because he's been fairly good at managing to be useful in providing views and bits of information.

Rat...  I know he hasn't been hanging back.  But neither can I remember too much of what he's done either.  Like Tai, he's mostly been giving decent analysis from the background.

Finally there's Strago.  He's been talking a good game.  But...  he egged on the suspicion over Cranbud's claim until Otter got lynched over it.  And after that, he kept attention on himself for a while in a WIFOMy little whirlwind of speculation of just what Cranbud was thinking and intending with his claim.  Something that took a lot of time and brain power, but ended up giving us little to nothing in terms of gain.  I think he's the one I'd focus on the most of the three of them.

Alright.  To respond to the two points.  Strago first.

I'm running on no sleep at the moment, so what I gave was a general impression that I had.  And, what I recall is that the issue of the truthfulness of Cranbud's remarks had been a constant affair since the end of day three.  Then again, I'm also being asked what I'd look into and use as a seed of argument for tomorrow.

As for lynch scum, always.  You're right, Fnorder.  One should always lynch scum.  That said, I don't have any proof that Sopko's scum.  And on the off chance that he is town, I think that he shouldn't be forced into revealing what he learns tonight on the morrow, so that the scum can't tell ahead of time just how harmless he'll be, or even just axe his target instead of him.  A free ride for a day, sure.  But he had better be able to dance well the day after that, when he will be grilled.  And when he will have something to show that's worth having.

Firstly, I find myself in agreement with Strago that the commentary against him in the first post seems rather strongly put. While I find the actions bizarre as well, I'm not sure - especially with the roleclaim to explain it - that it's really such a negative tell against him, since until Corwin died (as I pointed out in my question to him), there really wasn't much to say that he was or was not investigated.

Secondly, there's just something about both posts that makes me feel like he knows Sopko will survive to the last day, which in turn makes me twitchy about both of them, but the problem here lies more with Excal. Still, this doesn't fully cancel out my town feel before this...

Question: Can you at least give some explanation as to why these posts seem to state confidently that he will survive for two days + why you're so sure he will have something worth saying?

Sopko, moderate scum read. I'm not content with the timing of his roleclaim, the ability of the roleclaim, or the choice to reveal his target today for reasons previously stated. Admittedly, if he is Town I'd like him to be able to clear me, but by the pattern thus far if he is Town he's likely to die tonight... mrrrr.

Okay. While I will look bad if he does turn out Town (oh, look at who lead the lynch against the person investigating him), I don't think he will; my main read is him as scum, and this isn't really changing at all. I'm not content with his posts in his defense. In addition...

I don't really mind being voted at this point. My flipping town would allow people to narrow in on things. Honestly, don't be fooled by Fnorder though. You saw how desperately he jumped on me when I made my claim. Desperation is not the mark of a townie.

Strago, if you are town, I wouldn't be allying yourself too closely with Fnorder. When I flip town, if I am voted today or something else happens, it would look pretty bad. Especially if Fnorder turns out scum.

This post's second half makes me really goddamn twitchy. It's just this... almost... It makes my stomach twitch violently. It makes me think Sopko wanted the kill on Fnorder to go through, and was foreshadowing against Strago as well. It doesn't sit right with me at all. So, as loath as I am to land the first vote - and on a claimed slow cop investigating me, no less - I can do nothing but this, I find.

##Vote: Hunter Sopko

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2008, 09:04:55 AM »
If Cranbud revealed that he knew of Strago's role, why did Strago think he could draw fire for the entire game?

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 14, 2008, 09:15:23 AM »
What the? My post before this one shows up when I hit reply, but not before.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 14, 2008, 10:25:46 AM »
... good catch, VSM. If town, it was probably that Strago thought that Cranbud was lying in the first place, so he never put two and two together that he couldn't draw their fire.

Tai, you bring up good points. Particularly about Excal. I had been spinning the same yarn about possibilities of Strago until Fnorder turned up town, as the Otter lynch made both you and Strago look pretty bad. However, Fnorder turning up town has changed my thinking a lot. If you read the post where I voted, my suspicion has actually come off Strago and onto Excal.

Taishyr

« Reply #768 on: January 14, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »
...For the love of... We can't afford a No-Lynch here, people, and we have three hours left? Yeah.

##Unvote: Hunter Sopko

I'm more sure of Sopko, but... An Excal is fine, too? Bah. This is the precise reason I hate majority-to-lynch rules, as much as I understand why they're needed.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 14, 2008, 01:30:56 PM »
Update!

Excal (3): Strago, Hunter Sopko, Taishyr
Hunter Sopko (0): Taishyr
Kilgamayan (1): Carthrat
Strago (1): Kilgamayan

With 7 alive it takes 4 to lynch.

There are 3.5 hours until the deadline. In case you need a reminder, there will be no lynch if a majority vote is not reached by that time.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 14, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
Question: You knew you were bulletproof, but avoided the claim so as to try and draw fire. I understand this. But wouldn't it have been obvious after Corwin died that they knew you had that? To make this more apparent: Corwin, a Vanilla Townie, was killed; you, someone who had not posted your role but instead kept it secret and made comments so as to draw attention, was not targeted. To me, your claim today makes it sound as if you had been hoping that they would target you even last night, but perhaps I read into it? Mrr.

I assumed that they went after Corwin not because of anything related to roles, but because he was an insightful poster. Perhaps I should have put two and two together Re: them knowing what I was, but I didn't. At any rate, roleclaiming then wouldn't have helped me, and I didn't see any point in doing it before either a mass roleclaim situation or as a way of defending my actions if someone started really putting my feet to the fire.

VSM: I assumed Cranbud was lying, and I've made that clear several times now.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 14, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
Mrfff. Okay, Admiral Akbar is admonishing me a bit for going down this line of reasoning at this point, but... if Excal wasn't scum... don't you think the scums could have reasonably hammered him, at this point? That and the fact that he hasn't spoken up to defend himself just make my relative certainty of his scummitude continue to grow.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 14, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »
It would only take one to hammer as well. My guess is that scum are stalling on the lynch to go on No Lynch and make utter chaos of the last day.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 14, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
Dammit, even if Excal was town he would realize that it's a better idea to suicide right now than to toss us into tomorrow with such a massive amount of suspicion on him and no leeway for making a mistake.

VSM, where are you, man?

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #774 on: January 14, 2008, 04:35:25 PM »
There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"