Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676282 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1400 on: March 22, 2009, 06:46:14 AM »
ToV: The Overworld Music and Battle Theme changed! Oh shit, that means a new plot arc, which means the game will drop its light hearted "run around the world chasing a thief" fluff plot in exchange for Cryptic World Crisis RPG Cliche nonsense!  Its already given me something cryptic to work with too ._.

Bright side, new PC!  What the shit? A Tales PC whose ACTUALLY UNIQUE AND PRACTICAL TO USE?  I was totally not expecting that!

Ah well, at least the cast remains decent, so hopefully whatever nonsense ToV pulls out can be hidden behind the good interaction its been having so far (something TotA couldn't do for me, I blame Anise.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 22, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »
SH3: Gate time, sidequesting first. Not doing Purgatory, may or may not get Tirawa. Depends on how much spirit I get before Malice Gilbert. Right now, just doing pretty much what I can to equip my active party. Stopped before the Dollhouse.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 22, 2009, 08:27:53 AM »
Alright, reached the A Ending and faced the final boss.  And...  yeah.  While getting to the A Ending with no extra skills is certainly doable, it's not recommended in any way, shape or form.  Sure, I can set my party up so that I can land a 2HKO on it, but I can't pull off a OHKO, and the counter hits my entire party, and has a nasty tendancy of either killing outright, or paralyzing.  Needless to say, this means that the survivors are in no condition to actually do anything.  And the boss has heal, in case you can recover.

So...  yeah.  I've restarted with a C path file.  Cheripha and Lockswell are not going to survive Chapter 2 as I want to claim their skills early, and because I'm now guaranteed two playthroughs where I'll be relying on them.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 22, 2009, 11:56:21 AM »
AHhhh so you make them OD on PCP, okay then.

Braid - Sick of playing Blue Vegeta for a bit and Guitar heroed out after 2 sets, so back to Braid since I felt like playing stuff on console and nothing PS2 came to mind.  Got all the stars.  While the stars are retardedly obscure (like really really obscure), none of them are as bullshit as the sit in one room riding a cloud for an hour one which is the first one and none of them require remotely as precise platforming as actually finishing the last level of the game (IRONY, doing the bullshit with stars lets you skip the absolutely bullshit platforming part of the final level to boot.  Pretty pissed about that.

So yeah, Braid is still a really cool game where Jonathon Blow randomly decides to be a gigantic dick to the player.  So I think I love the game but hate the maker.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 22, 2009, 02:07:28 PM »
BvS:

Wil spent 150K on the Crane getting the three monster drops in there (Granola Camouflage, Go Piece, and Hacksaw).  Is now working on reclaiming all that lost Ryo.  Nevermind the fact that he already had these three drops, thanks to Terri3.

Jack is still in S3 for no apparent reason, because I'm paranoid that a kaiju is gonna show up with a drop he doesn't have yet.

Irwin is moving from Hokage to another village, since Hokage's closing down.  Reason?  jkeezer (one of the first ten Kaijukage) is now bored of the game and wants to quit.  I was able to score two Firebrands from the village's last Kaiju before being the last non-leader character out.  I also dealt 13298 damage to said kaiju.  He still has that problem with the Snake and Mantis Runes mocking him, and he got an extra Wolf Rune to join with his extra Fox Rune.

Other games:  I really need to cut back on work and the RPing...

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 22, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »
The fuck?  Why are you taking drops that other people might need?  You can't do anything with them or trade them to your alts.  That's just being fucking greedy.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 22, 2009, 07:23:44 PM »
VP: Covenant of the Plume- C Ending.  Final boss wasn't that bad... but then again, I got on the C path quite early and ended up with the guy you can sacrifice for a "null physicals for 3 turns" skill.
No story comments for now, plan to get all three endings first.  But do plan to post my characters for each, since I'm going to actually do replays rather than just using save files.

You mean 3 arcs. You can switch ending almost every time in CH.5
To see everything, you must get yourself into each arc's respective Ch.3 and stay in the arc and never gets out.
For example, for your play through, you started on B route's ch.3 and then go down to C route.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1407 on: March 22, 2009, 09:58:01 PM »
Yeah, I'll have to do some extra replays to see every story arc (multiple in fact, C version of C3 and B version of C4 I've both missed now), but I'm more interested in how the endings play out than the chapter story arcs.
Pity I didn't know about the pathing before finishing C2, getting the C version  of C3 done would have been nice.  Ah well.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 23, 2009, 12:20:48 AM »
ES- Party level up means gameplay fail up. It's nice that you literally have three seconds to frantically adjust the camera, find an enemy, and begin targeting before your attack time starts running down.How can a game have such a neat core combat system then utterly fuck it up? It's like if VP2 AP ran down while you stood still and you couldn't adjust the camera. I love the graphics, the music's wonderful, and the fights are usually fun. On the flipside, the last duengon (Fort) was obnoxious, it's easy to run out of items and you have to do backtracking if you want items generally. You need to be using pictures so you have enough items to get through the duengons. Frustrating.

The plot is contemptable trash, it's seriously not on the level with most SNES games. The fun gimmicks like 'run around the town and find the annoying fucking kid when you know five seconds into it where he really is' is fun as well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:25:11 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 23, 2009, 01:30:09 AM »
The fuck?  Why are you taking drops that other people might need?  You can't do anything with them or trade them to your alts.  That's just being fucking greedy.

Uh, trade bait to other players counts, I think?  There's still a huge load of other drops that Wil doesn't have yet.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: March 23, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Finished!  A ending get.

Really, the difficulty on the A ending is all front-ended, which is weird because you'd think the opposite.  Outside of the stupid rescue missions where you have to rush towards your target while praying they don't die first, the maps are actually pretty easy.  And later on you can get broked stuff such as a skill that halves damage but reduces evade/immunity.  DEFINITELY a good tradeoff.

The bosses in general ARE competent though.  Just about all of them have overkill damage.  Fortunately you can generally one-round them, so at most you should take one hit and just revive whoever got killed and mop up.  Final boss, on the other hand, kind of inverts this.  Loads of HP, but the damage is barely OHKO, and some people can even survive it.  Instead, it makes the normal attack MT and inflicts paralysis at an alarmingly high rate.  Countering this is quite easy though.  Just attack with three people, let them die, and have your fourth guy sit out of range and spam Union Plumes.  Once it's low enough, just have everyone charge in and finish it off.  Surprisingly simple if you know what you're doing.

Overall, the game is pretty good, but also quite disappointing.  The whole idea of meshing VP's battle system onto an SRPG grid was incredibly neat and generally well done.  The Sin idea was neat as well, since it gives you a reason to overkill things, and actually makes the rewards worth it.

The problem is that they make some horrible design decisions.

1) You can't stop using your attacks until you have used them all.  This is terrible because the Sin system rewards chip->overkill by making the amount of Sin you get proportional to how much you overkill by.  It's all too easy to misgauge how much damage you'll do and end up barely killing an enemy when you just wanted to chip them.
2) Chain battles with no saves in between them.  Just no.  Don't do this ever.  While you may not lose, you may mess up and not get as much Sin as you want (due to 1 or just plain messing up), and you'd either have to live with it or restart the battle before it as well.  Gets worse when there's two fights chained into another fight with a boss.
3) RESCUE MISSIONS.  You do not put the immobile person you need to rescue in range of two monsters that 2HKO her and make you need at least two turns to get in range to attack them.  That's just completely ridiculous.  The other ones were less retarded but still really frustrating since you don't have much leeway on getting over there on time.

I think there were others, but I can't think of them right now.  Those are the big ones though.  They just made things more frustrating than they should be.  Polish is kind of lacking in general, too.

Probably a 7-8/10 game overall, though.  The premise is great, but the poor design decisions drop it a couple of points.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:57:19 AM by Talaysen »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1411 on: March 23, 2009, 02:41:26 AM »
VP: Plume- B Ending.  Ended up on the A path up until C5 though... we'll see how different A and B versions are (B and C are very different).  The C Final appears again, but with a different support set.  But you don't kill it, battle's interrupted before the final blow and another starts.
Game didn't like Caduceus at all, let alone 2 in the endgame.  What the heck are they thinking with that?

Cheripha and Lockswell both survived this time, making the final party.  Additionally...

Darius- Interesting.  Really good at knocking out gems, but I have a bad tendency to ditz out and fuck up his second swing (ie the one that does this).  Nobly sacrificed himself to end the Artolian war in C5-end.  His skill is... neat (2 turn damage null, reflects physicals) but... two turns is somewhat impractical compared to the 3 turn limited immunties.  Probably good on a prolonged map though.  I suspect he's a Light, but depends a lot on endgame swords blah blah.

Gwendal- Generically solid.  Good for crystal harvesting.  Nobly sacrificed himself attempting to save Valmur in C4-end.  ID skill seemed... okay, better than a 50% activation rate.  Probably middle-ish, Greatswordsman means HP.

Ushio- Didn't use.  Didn't bother sacrificing.  Auto-crit just sounds so danged useless in this game.  N/A.

Fauxnel- Mage.  By the time I pulled him out, I had that second Caduceus so, y'know, game made sad puppy faces at me.  Hum.  Seems like a Heavy/Middle borderliner.  His gimmick is having the Silence and Stop spells which... based on enemy usage are danged accurate and last long enough to kill most things.  And of course can be reapplied.

Wyl mk 2- Hm.  the reflect skill is useful against... a character with overkill in both damages that is slower than Wyl that he can 2HKO.  I can't think of anything like that but uh could happen.  Maybe a tool against the evasive?  I dunno.  ID seems functional though, another tool for the super-healer types... still, not sure he can swing Godlike.

B Boss Thyodor, ie your father- Not terribly different from the C boss.  Died a lot faster due to aforementioned staves of broken despite higher Res, causing me to adjust down the durability on that one (suspect that, facing only one broken staff of broken, both would have lived to about the middle of the second round).  Biggest difference is that B seems to have a weaker SC... but the attack sequence is stronger and, unwaveringly, knocked out a gem or two.  So probably slightly more damage overall.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1412 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:11 AM »
ToV: The Overworld Music and Battle Theme changed! Oh shit, that means a new plot arc, which means the game will drop its light hearted "run around the world chasing a thief" fluff plot in exchange for Cryptic World Crisis RPG Cliche nonsense!  Its already given me something cryptic to work with too ._.

Bright side, new PC!  What the shit? A Tales PC whose ACTUALLY UNIQUE AND PRACTICAL TO USE?  I was totally not expecting that!

Ah well, at least the cast remains decent, so hopefully whatever nonsense ToV pulls out can be hidden behind the good interaction its been having so far (something TotA couldn't do for me, I blame Anise.)

You're playing a Tales game and you're upset that you're going to end up Saving The World? That's like watching a Disney movie and complaining that there's going to be singing in it.

Anyway, I'm also playing this and I agree with the assessment of the cast so far. I've only recently met up with the Hunting Blades, so I'm not as far as Meeple. Yuri does his badass thing, only showing vulnerability to children and Flynn. He and Flynn seem like an interesting relationship that's building toward some horrible secret-reveal that'll come out during a 'battle between rivals'. Despite the cliche, the reasoning behind it is sound - they have similar goals, but their methods focus on slightly different priorities. Both of their methods have obvious flaws and it's nice to see the flaws in our main hero's ideals pointed out so clearly.
But apart from Flynn, *no one* gets the best of Yuri, so he manages to remain badass.
Rita is also pretty entertaining to watch, though not necessarily someone I'd want for a friend. She's very blunt, which I really like in a character. While the violent girl cliche fits her, it's still the violent girl cliche. She -does- get a lot of good lines in the skits. Also, it's cool as fuck how they implemented her melee weapon.
Karol waffles between tolerable 'kid' and 'suddenly emo!' - He'd be unsalvagable if it weren't for Yuri's teasing, really. As such, all of his unfortunate character traits are funny instead of painful to watch. Rita plays well with him, too. When he actually does something useful (monster-information, usually), it's enough of a surprise that he becomes 'tolerable kid' instead of 'punching bag'.
Estelle is trope-y, but she gets enough funny lines and sets up Yuri and Rita so often that I find myself really liking her. Though I suspect when the Save The World plot starts, she'll be less entertaining.
Repede is a dog. A great dog. A++

Villains are non-existant so far... Though the Schwann brigade not being total assholes was nice to see. It's nice to see an evil empire where not everyone's evil. Though the ones that -are- evil have a seriously bad case of baby-eating.

Fatal Strikes and Burst Artes are -exactly- what Tales gameplay needed. A little more responsiveness and stronger enemies and the game could be a 3D fighter with AI allies.

'Bohdi Blastia' is a horrible pun and still sounds like something you would go to the hospital for.

And yes, I will probably continue to be effusively ecstatic about this game until I finish it.

-Djinn

Oh, and this!
Braid - While the stars are retardedly obscure (like really really obscure), none of them are as bullshit as the sit in one room riding a cloud for an hour one which is the first one and none of them require remotely as precise platforming as actually finishing the last level of the game (IRONY, doing the bullshit with stars lets you skip the absolutely bullshit platforming part of the final level to boot.  Pretty pissed about that.

So yeah, Braid is still a really cool game where Jonathon Blow randomly decides to be a gigantic dick to the player.  So I think I love the game but hate the maker.

WARNING: Use of the term 'Art' ahead. Turn back now.
If there's one thing that I can positively state about Braid's meaning, it's that the game is about 'Obsession' in the pursuit of a goal.
Now, I might be a bit presumptuous here, but I'd say waiting around on that cloud (and getting the rest of the obscure stars) just to slightly change the ending (and 'catch' the object of Obsession - the Princess... or if you didn't know that, then collecting them just for curiosity's sake) pretty much encapsulates the basic meaning of the game through the gameplay. It's *waves arms in the air* 'Art.'

In general, the whole game is like this, with the time reversing aspects and perspective switching all being playable allegories for the themes of the game itself. It's the reason -I- liked it anyway. I don't think the star challenge was intended to be cruel, just challenging. For the sake of the message of the game, which cautions strongly -against- pursuing curiosity too far (to the point of Obsession), the challenges -had- to be difficult... you're supposed to feel like you should give up and do something better or more fun at this point in the game. And by -not- doing that, you're realizing your own Obsession once you get the ending and...
Okay, I need to stop, all my organized thought is gone now and wankering has started.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
You're playing a Tales game and you're upset that you're going to end up Saving The World? That's like watching a Disney movie and complaining that there's going to be singing in it.

Not quite.  There's a difference between "Save the world!" and "Boring chain of fetch quests that happen to lead to saving the world!"  Tales games love doing the latter so very much.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1414 on: March 23, 2009, 03:25:24 AM »

Not quite.  There's a difference between "Save the world!" and "Boring chain of fetch quests that happen to lead to saving the world!"  Tales games love doing the latter so very much.

I wouldn't call it chance that the characters end up saving the world...

Phantasia - You go back in time with the intention of saving the future.
Symphonia - You join Jesus on her journey to rejuvenate the world.
Abyss - The entire world runs on prophecy and knowing the future. Your prophecy is to save the world so you and your friends decide to do it.

In general, it's pretty active world-saving. Admittedly, Abyss's intro took a bit longer to get to the intentional part.

I'm not going to argue that there aren't fetch quests, but finding the Sephiroth Trees to move the world literally out of danger or making Pacts with the Summon Spirits to actively bring life back to a waning planet are pretty grand-scale fetch quests. It's generally not 'find the king's lost dog' or something equally inane (Though I guess ToV's thief-chase is relatively inane?). I can understand finding these boring, I suppose all RPGs could cut out their 'fetch quest' equivalents. Though I can't think of a lot of long games that don't feature some fetch-questing. Not all RPGs should be short in my opinion.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 23, 2009, 04:00:56 AM »
SH3- Malice Killer and Malice Gilbert down. Most of the sidequesting done, will be getting Tirawa after all, so thats first on the agena tomorrow. May or may not do Natan and Frank's final dungeons... mostly for the 4th level magic crests and Crucifixes you get from them. Not even bothering with Mao's.

Storywise... why'd they wait for the end to stuff all the halfway decent stuff in? If they'd actually had this sort of character interaction along the way instead of the random silliness, the game coulda been pretty good! Heck, there was only really the most cursory of scenes when it involved the PC cast. If they'd gotten the attention of the villains... no, I can't even say that. Frank being involved nixes much quality potential. Nevertheless, I liked the scene with Johnny and Shania in Brooklyn, and Lady/Killer/Gilbert stuff rocks.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:58 AM »
Mass Effect-Got Liara, haven't progressed the main plot beyond that point. Just having too much fun going around doing sidequests and investigating planets. Sort of reminds me of Star Control 2 in a way, and that's a good thing. Manged to save up enough money to get Shepard some nifty armor and a kickass little pistol, and as such he's not really in any danger of dying anymore. Marksman=Things die.

Putting stats into Decryption and Electronics now, for hacking goodness. Probably start working on Sniper Rifles soonish.

Also played the Guitar Hero: Metallica demo on XBL. Man, it is hilarious how terrible I am without hyperspeed anymore. It's such a terrible crutch. Five-starred the Alice in Chains song right away, however, and 4-starred Sad But True. Could probably 5-star that, but eh, later maybe. Still haven't beaten Seek and Destroy, a solo came out of nowhere and blew me out of the water. Crazy in Loves is fun but hard, and I doubt I'll ever five-star it, just plays to my weaknesses too much. Lack of hyperspeed just seals it.

First impressions are mostly positive. The songs were all good, the charting was a little bullshit sometimes though. The 'hold down a held note while strumming something else' is going to take a lot of getting used to, same with the Slide Note portions. I didn't really pay much attention to the animations/model likeness to real-life Metallica, but who cares?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 23, 2009, 04:11:33 AM »
Um, Phantasia is 100% chance.

Tornyx casts a spell on Cress and Mint (and Chester, but he rushes out last second) as an attempt to SAVE THEM, not save the future.  Yes, they'd be in the past, but they'd be able to escape Dhaos' Wrath at that exact moment.  Now, you DO go to the future to "save the world" but the ironic thing is the world wasn't actually in any danger; that was everyone jumping to conclusions and going "OMG DHAOS IS THE EVIL!" when Dhaos' position was really just "look, I don't give a shit about humanity or this world; keep on living and prospering, it means no difference to me, I just want the god damn Mana Seed.  When I get that, I'll leave you all alone, k thx bai." (this was probably the most interesting plot point in the entire Tales Series, at least relative to when the games were made; game does give you a big sense of "...umm...whoops?" when you beat the game, in an attempt to actually make you feel bad for your actions.)

Tales of the Abyss overstayed its welcome, is the big thing.  You save the world! Then they asspull another crisis, so its offensive in that regard.

Symphonia...never really had much direction, is the issue.  It has a Clear Defined Goal! But then you have to do about 6 different quests just to get that one goal.  The Pilgrimage thing is essentially the same as FF10's, except FF10 actually was a lot more fluid about it, and kept to it the entire game, and the game's added Religion = Evil thing actually worked its way in rather nicely; Symphonia stopped doing that and instead went "ok, our next goal is this, go through these 4 dungeons, and you'll finally reach it!"  

Basically, what I'm getting at is this:

Tales games love to have pointless filler dungeons just to stretch the game out, and this usually only occurs when the game's "plot" kicks in.  TotA, for example, with all the gates and such was all "Elemental Dungeon spam cause we can yay!"  Tales of Phantasia did that with summons, Eternia did it with Craymels, Symphonia did it...multiple times, with summons and the stuff beforehand with Colette.  Legendia subverted it, by basically making the "Filler Elemental Dungeon!" thing by making the 3 dungeons really just one dungeon that PRETENDED to be 3, so it wasn't so bad.

(in general, Legendia probably beats the other Tales games badly at pacing; I didn't feel the game dragging nearly as much, at least in the main quest, as others.  Having a completely linear plot does that, I'll grant.)

Credit to Phantasia and Eternia, you got IMMEDIATE rewards for doing those elemental dungeons, so there was some gameplay incentive at least.  Symphonia gave you a worthless reward (OMG SUMMONS YOU CAN ONLY USE WITH ONE CHARACTER IN OVERLIMIT!), and TotA gave you jack shit, IIRC, so it was especially annoying.

Lets contrast ToP's plot for a moment, to show you what I mean...

Early Game: Run around the world dealing with the shit that happens to Cress.  Not very interesting, but its just a starting point.
Early Past Arc: Starts off mostly just "lets find a way to beat Dhaos" and its you beating up Minions as you meet him.
Rest of Past until Midgard: Go to x dungeon to get y summon/item! Why? CAUSE ITS IMPORTANT DAMN IT!?
Midgard: War! Finally some interesting insight on things, we get to meet Dhaos first hand, etc.  Pity this arc is short.
Post Midgard: Get back to the future!
Future Arc (required stuff): Gather objects to make a SUPER SWORD!  Then use that to beat Dhaos.  More elemental Dungeons will be required for this.

So most of the Past and the entire REQUIRED Future is essentially just being spammed with elementally themed dungeons for padding.

I know you're thinking "But how do you get Gameplay?" and well, I was wondering why FF6's plot generally flowed better than many other of its contemporaries (and hell, many games that came after!), and I came to this conclusion:

Its Filler dungeons?  They were "Path to next important area."  These are good opportunities to add extra game play in between plot, that isn't just Over world trekking.  Look at Mt. Koltz.  its the first REAL dungeon in the game (Figaro Cave is a joke.)  Due to it, they could toss in an extra boss, and finally some real game play opportunity.  It exists purely as an obstacle between South Figaro and Returner's Hideout, but it worked, cause that's a good time to put a random dungeon.  

These Elemental Dungeon Spam nonsense?  Its more like "You got this object, now, where's the next one?  Oh, its half way across the world!"  It hurts plot flow cause nothing is happening beyond this Zelda's Axiom nonsense.  Actually, that explains it well; just about every Zelda game follows that plot style, and pretty much every Zelda game generally sucks at plot.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 23, 2009, 04:29:16 AM »
Avalon Code:  beaten.

The basic premise of the game is excellent.  Scanning things, swapping codes, decent action combat system.  In fact the overall freedom of combat is lovely, whether modifying your enemies or doing nifty things with your weapons.

Except... that there's no freedom of combat.  The game expects you to use Judgment Link against every single enemy you meet.  It's the only way to get MP (and more importantly) money.  Yes, juggling enemies into orbit is fun.  But not so fun that I want to do it against every enemy I run across.  Sometimes I just want to whack things with a 500 attack sword and be on my merry way.

Now I'll go ahead and spoil something that happens halfway through the game:  you lose the book.  Yes, this makes sense from a plot perspective, but it totally ruins the gameplay.  It's pretty much the most fucktarded game design decision I've ever seen.

Let me give you an analogy:

Imagine if halfway through Valkyrie Profile, you lost all your party members, all weapons except the Antler Sword, and every time you did Spiritual Concentration, nothing appeared except the Cave of Oblivion.  Yeah, the middle of this game is that clusterfucked.

The other major problem with this game is not enough subindexing.  There's close to 1500 pages in the book, and once you acquire a sizeable number of them it becomes ridiculous to find a particular page.  For example, trying to utilize map warping.

Oh, and also, too many puzzles.  Long dungeons get old quickly when every room is a puzzle room.  Also, the majority of the metalizes you get near the end of the game are sliding block puzzles.

Finally, mapping the Search button to the Judgment Link button?  FAIL.

Those are the negative points.  The game does have a solid plot and interesting world design.  Some of the boss fights are really outstanding, especially the Thunder Dragon.  And most importantly, you can make your character look like MEGA MAN.  Yes.

Looks like you can do everything you want on a cleargame save, so I'll probably just play that and not play through the main game again unless I want to play as a boy and mack on the female characters.

The only character I spent time trying to date was Duran, and all I got out of him was a hug.  Good grief, do I have to spread my legs, point down, and yell HIT IT ALREADY for him to get the hint?

6/10 overall, and that's from the game bouncing from 10/10 parts to 1/10 parts.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1419 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:52 AM »
Basically, what I'm getting at is this:

Tales games love to have pointless filler dungeons just to stretch the game out, and this usually only occurs when the game's "plot" kicks in.  

Rest of Past until Midgard: Go to x dungeon to get y summon/item! Why? CAUSE ITS IMPORTANT DAMN IT!?
Future Arc (required stuff): Gather objects to make a SUPER SWORD!  Then use that to beat Dhaos.  More elemental Dungeons will be required for this.
So most of the Past and the entire REQUIRED Future is essentially just being spammed with elementally themed dungeons for padding.

Eh. Good points.

I know you're thinking "But how do you get Gameplay?" and well, I was wondering why FF6's plot generally flowed better than many other of its contemporaries (and hell, many games that came after!), and I came to this conclusion:

Its Filler dungeons?  They were "Path to next important area."  These are good opportunities to add extra game play in between plot, that isn't just Over world trekking.  Look at Mt. Koltz.  its the first REAL dungeon in the game (Figaro Cave is a joke.)  Due to it, they could toss in an extra boss, and finally some real game play opportunity.  It exists purely as an obstacle between South Figaro and Returner's Hideout, but it worked, cause that's a good time to put a random dungeon.  

These Elemental Dungeon Spam nonsense?  Its more like "You got this object, now, where's the next one?  Oh, its half way across the world!"  It hurts plot flow cause nothing is happening beyond this Zelda's Axiom nonsense.  Actually, that explains it well; just about every Zelda game follows that plot style, and pretty much every Zelda game generally sucks at plot.

Just want to note that in TotA at least, its elemental dungeons did serve as padding, but generally there was still plot going on during the fetch-questing. At the very least, the team was racing against the God-Generals to shut down the Sephiroth trees correctly, introducing the aspect of urgency to the plot (though lol to gameplay urgency in an RPG). Events were still occurring regularly, just the dungeons were spread out further than South Figaro and Mt. Koltz. Notably, Mt. Koltz also used this same kind of plot point with Vargas and Sabin, I suppose.

But I understand where you're coming from with the anti-fetch quest sentiment though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1420 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »
ToL felt like nothing BUT drag to me, but that was mostly because of all the incessant yammering about places that I had never been to, felt no connection to, and did not care for. But seriously, fuck that game.

Pyro

« Reply #1421 on: March 23, 2009, 05:16:11 AM »
Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core

Fun game. While the plot/character interaction would probably be objectively kinda poor without the FF7 connection... that connection is there in spades. And so scenes that I would otherwise balk at become good or at least interesting. Sephiroth not being a jackass? Aeris getting her first idea for her entrepreneurial venture? Turks being Turks? Gets points from me.

It's a good thing everything else about the game is decent too. Graphics are pretty shocking for a PSP game, setting is done fantastically (NPCs especially play a role here), combat is fun and fast paced, the twinking is definitely there to fulfill that inner need to build massive amounts of power... it's just a well-constructed game.

Oh and the music? It is infinite win.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 23, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Yeah, see, the big thing Crisis Core did compared to the rest of the Compilation is that it knew its roots.  It KNEW it was an FF7 game, it did its homework regarding it, and even went as far as to make the areas you visit resemble FF7 as much as possible (go look at Sector 5 and compare it to FF7's Sector 5; they really do look a lot alike, graphical style aside.)  That combined with how its less about retconning and more about plot expansion...and Zack being made generally likable are the big things CC did right.  The rest of the compilation just sort of took a half assed story, and plugged FF7 characters and settings into it, which is why they fail.  Crisis Core actually *FELT* like the FF7 world, and an FF7 related story, instead of having to constantly remind yourself "This was a character in FF7 I'm playing as, right!"

Oddly, I think FFX-2 was the only other game that got this idea right, if its execution wasn't exactly ideal.  It knew its roots were FFX, and it actually felt like it was related to FFX, with revisiting old areas (and them actually looking the same), seeing the old characters again, etc.  That's one of the few things FFX-2 got right, at least, in spirit anyway; pity its downsides are so many that it masks this factor.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 23, 2009, 06:54:03 AM »
Kingdom Hearts: Beaten! Final was okay, wish it hadn't been a flying boss because fighting on land is way more fun. Partially because of the camera, but also because you can actually use all those power moves they give you instead of being reduced to casting Aeroga and then smacking things with the Keyblade. Ah well.  By the same token, Chernobog was an awesome concept (his appearance might be my favorite moment in the game, just because I wasn't expecting Fantasia at all), but the combination of the camera and the flying makes the battle a chore.

Overall, probably a 7/10 game. The way it uses the Disney canon is its biggest strength, and really impressed me. I wasn't expecting something that true to the source material, but it all worked really well. Other than fixing the camera, probably the game's biggest issue was that the Final Fantasy side of the crossover barely existed. No FF world(s), the only plotline carried over from one of the games is that Cloud doesn't like Sephiroth, and in general the characters could have been replaced by originals and it wouldn't feel like anything was missing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:09:18 AM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 23, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »
So I've been curious for a while if I'd prefer SSBM to SSBB if I went back to it, but I had no real desire to try seeing as everyone I know seems to play primarily Brawl, and I'd already spent time unlearning all of my Melee habits.  Turns out Laggy was more excited about booting up Melee than booting up Brawl, though (he's not thrilled with how much slower Brawl looked) so in Melee went.

I definitely have stuff to re-learn; grabbing onto ledges is something that requires actual attention, for instance.  There's stuff that annoys me which I had forgotten about (like the inability to C-Stick in any one-player mode).  That said, some of the old mechanics came back to me quicker than I thought, and I certainly got interested in it in a way that Brawl hasn't particularly duplicated.