Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 677119 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1900 on: April 14, 2009, 10:09:02 PM »
VP2 isn't turn based, the rewards for overkill are entirely random, and don't exist once you hit PWS time.  Not to mention VPDS seems to have an actual strategy and reward to the timing of when you give up your PCs, along with generally more interesting rewards than, well, anything else in the series.

As for what I've been playing.

Persona 4 - Finished the Secret Lab and am tooling around with S Links.  Mastered Strength, Chariot, Priestess so far, and getting close with Sun, Magician, Justice, Empress, Hermit, and Hierophant.  Hierophant in particular is one I'm enjoying, both in the S Links and in the general plot.  I'm getting the impression that there are several S Links that I've simply missed so far, including one random guy with a portrait in the shopping district (it is odd that aside from the two night ones, they've all been school based so far), someone I've been told about at the hospital that I passed on the chance to visit earlier (Got Hermit instead, far better deal), and a guy in the school who ate my time block like an S. Link, but gave me no S Link to show for it.  Oh, and a cat near my place that also wants to eat a time block, I should say hi to that sometime when it's near exams.

So, I think it's very safe to say that I'm not going to get all the S Links maxed this playthrough.  And, unlike with P3, I'm not even going to know where to start on the attempt to max them all out on a replay.  Ah well, second playthroughs are for FAQs.  Which reminds me, please no telling me where the other S Links I'm missing are, or what I should be aiming for, as if I really wanted to know, I'd ask in chat or FAQ it.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: April 14, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
CotP>>> whatever the hell Silmeria was trying to do.

A) You are using a character that can use BANE?

B) You are trying to use ID on a boss?  The only reason this is not completely counter-intuitive is because FF1 is the first RPG to actually have ID.  Otherwise, it's a weakness that is completely legit to have no clue to expect to be there, nor to be on your go to list of remaining abilities to toss around in the hopes it works.  ('Sides, as I recall Bane is a decently high level Black Magic, which means that in order to use it, you have to hope your limited shots manage to hit, and it's giving up concrete damage for that hope)

Okay, apparently you guys all played this on emulator or something.  The (English) Final Fantasy NES game came with a huge fold-out map that had all the enemies in the game and their stats/weaknesses.  So yeah, you knew to use BANE on Tiamat.  I'd estimate the hit-rate to be about 1/3 on her.  If you had Bane Sword and a Bane caster you should have no problem killing her by round 2.  Bane Sword by itself might take longer if you get unlucky rolls.

I'd say the hitrate of HOLD and similar things on Kary is about 50%, but they don't last very long anyway so not really worth it.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: April 14, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »
Actually...

I had scene NES Map/Enemy Listing, and the Fold Out had a lot of blank spaces.

Tiamat was one of those "Plus_" characters for example.  In fact, my friend had scribbled in "Ice" in that spot, even that wasn't true.  I knew I was surprised to see she was weak to Bane when I read it on the Internet.

Either way, I've yet to see Bane work in ANY version of FF1, and she's weak to it in all games.  Its hit rate is abysmal; the weakness basically means it *MIGHT* hit double digits.

Oh, and this map *DID* note that Kary was weak to Sleep and Stun, yet, I remember trying it back then and getting constant "Ineffectives" and going "huh? But I thuoght she was weak?" as a result.  Status weaknesses on bosses in FF1 are just not reliable at all, given the way they work.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:23:13 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Bardiche

« Reply #1903 on: April 14, 2009, 11:20:46 PM »
LFT - Fighting Queklain.

... Oh what the hell you -have- to be kidding. NIGHTMARE, 100% Sleep. So I lose everyone but Ramza and his Lancer girlfriend. Okay... no worries. Stigma Magic to the rescue... Queklain Nightmares Ramza and my only offense is the lancer. Ramza gets hit with Death Sentence. ... right. Reset time, gotta think that through.

Ultimately I managed to beat it with having everyone busy crystallising except for the Summoner, who nuked Quek with Odin but damn man, this was tough. ;_;

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: April 15, 2009, 01:34:05 AM »
Marathon: Durandal - Finished. Generally well made and chaotic FPS with overall decent[some great, some arghwhy] map designs, balanced and fun weapons, and a sense of humor that no other FPS has[the secret terminal in S25 had me laughing for a bit.].

Highlights include:

1. Flamethrowers should ALWAYS be this badass.

2. Game has the best level names ever.

3. Enemy design is varied and challenging consistantly, which I approve of even if it got frustrating sometimes[TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS]

My only real gripe is that the game had awesome title screen music and then no music for the rest of the game. c'mon, if M1 can have a soundtrack, why can't M2?

----

Marathon Infinity - Started this, got to stage 3 and then died... with my only previous save being mid stage 2. So I'm giving it a little break for now. Game is not kind :<

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: April 15, 2009, 02:06:16 AM »
Firstly, <3 Xeroma for the Marathon love.

Secondly, to met, not even the Sonic titles? Really? Granted, I did find that a lot of the titles in my version (X360) weren't as good as I remembered, but they were at least decent.

Thirdly, most of what I've been playing is 360 titles to clear up achievements and finish near-beaten games. I'm stuck on the final mission of Age of Booty, finally beat Puzzle Quest, got 100% completion in Lego Indiana Jones, and I'm now with Brain Age 2 to unlock everything. (Stupid DS doesn't read my handwriting)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 15, 2009, 02:22:26 AM »
Xer: It's a testament to Marathon's era that the game designers had to choose between ambient sound and background music. M1 opted for the latter, M2 and M∞ for the former. I feel M1 made the correct choice, there (music adds more to atmosphere than sound effects to me, and the haunting dirges of M1 were very effective scene-setters if not brilliant composition), but there's room for argument, and that's why M2 is the way it is.

Heh, Tanks never bothered me too much; I just hated Hunters and the homing version of S'pht. Troopers get pretty scary on higher difficulties, too, but not so much on Normal.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:24 AM »
Hunters are kind of annoying but at least you can keep them from exploding on death. Homing Compilers hate walls.

Tanks, tanks get really common, always take a bunch of ammo to go down, and have damaging attacks. Later ones having HOMING GRENADES and FLAMETHROWERS made me emo.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:02:38 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1908 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:50 AM »
Tales of Vesperia - finally able to somewhat use Judith, though at the moment she doesn't have any of her RAWR AWESOME moves/skills yet. She's quite possibly the most fun ARPG character I've played with since Ashton in SOBlueSphere. Also... the most difficult. Can someone who has mastered Judith put on some kind of tutorial/exhibition at DLCon4? That'd be a real treat I think.

Alternately... is there a Judith player's guide somewhere? Djinn needs help.

-Djinn

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: April 15, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »
Tales of Vesperia - finally able to somewhat use Judith, though at the moment she doesn't have any of her RAWR AWESOME moves/skills yet. She's quite possibly the most fun ARPG character I've played with since Ashton in SOBlueSphere. Also... the most difficult. Can someone who has mastered Judith put on some kind of tutorial/exhibition at DLCon4? That'd be a real treat I think.

-Djinn

I... think Niu could probably do it.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=w-4BBQrxnrQ
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 15, 2009, 03:58:02 AM »
VP2 - Second run of Seraphic Gate: COMPLETE. Dirna forced me to buy Stun Checks this time around, but they mostly trivialized the fight once they were in place: immuning her source of big damage does a huge dent on her otherwise scary as hell offense, especially since she has no qualms spamming Meteor Swarm late in the fight, and Explosion certainly doesn't make for a bad placeholder at high HP. Now, to finish off the Einherjar sendaway party with another run.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Pyro

« Reply #1911 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »
Legend of Heroes 3: (PSP)

Very generic RPG with some nice music. Everyone in the cast is a musician (except for the dog PC). Skillsets look to be gotten via equipping universal stones. It's entirely fluff and that is fine by me. The game's limits are some of silliest ever. At any time after reaching 100 "power" (this game's limit gauge), you can activate a limit attack. On anyone's turn. Including enemies. It cancels the turn it is activated on. It isn't hard to build up at all. So yeah.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

Fluff crossover. Better than I'd expected, but not really good. Everything seems pretty decent except for the party system. Oh boy, the party system...

Oh well. It has Arche. I am pleased.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: April 15, 2009, 04:51:24 AM »
Legend of Heroes 3: (PSP)

Very generic RPG with some nice music. Everyone in the cast is a musician (except for the dog PC). Skillsets look to be gotten via equipping universal stones. It's entirely fluff and that is fine by me. The game's limits are some of silliest ever. At any time after reaching 100 "power" (this game's limit gauge), you can activate a limit attack. On anyone's turn. Including enemies. It cancels the turn it is activated on. It isn't hard to build up at all. So yeah.

Are you sure this is not ED5? I don't remember any PCs in ED3 to be musicians.

-Djinn

I am lazy, so I'll copy and paste. Tell Trance to translate for you or something.

ジュディス
1    飛燕月華→空中月閃光

テクニカルなジュディスが使いこなせない初心者用。背の高い敵では開始技を尖月にするのも良い
必要スキル    なし

2    風月→(ジャンプキャンセル)→如月→着地嵐月→飛燕蓮月華(二段目キャンセル)→月閃光AB→ダッシュ弧月閃→月華天翔刃→JC月光

重い相手には空中通常を省いて如月で安定。
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルアーツ1 3 キャンセルプラス1 2

3    (空中)如月(打ち上げ)→円月・鳶(最後まで発動)→JC空中N通常連→如月(打ち上げ)→円月・鳶(→月光or月破墜迅脚)

長い間空中にいるため他の敵からの攻撃を受け難い&スキル制限緩和お手軽高威力コンボ。
如月の追加や空中通常連回数、キャンセルを遅らせるなど調整で全重さ敵に対応。最後の月光or月破はかなりの遅れをかけてダウン追い討ちで当てる。
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルアーツ1・(2) キャンセルプラス1・(2)

4    尖月→円月・鳶(最後まで発動)→(ジャンプキャンセル)→神月烈破追加横蹴→(エアリアルダッシュ)
→如月(打ち上げ)→円月・鳶→少し待ち月破墜迅脚or(少し待ち空中月閃光→着地月閃光AB→JC月破墜迅脚)

上記の長い間空中にいるため他の敵からの攻撃を受け難いコンボ3の派生版。キャンセル空中ダッシュも絡めたコンボ。尖月と如月の順番を入れ替えてもOK。
特技を全て飛燕月華にすることでFS↑になる。最後円月・鳶で〆て、エリアルマジックガード連打も面白い
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルダッシュ エアリアルアーツ1・2 キャンセルプラス1・2

5    風月→(ジャンプキャンセル)→天月旋→月牙・鷹→着地月閃光AB

お手軽FS↑コンボ。チェインを稼ぐのなら着地後は風月に変えてループで。重い相手には空中通常を省いて天月旋で安定。
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルアーツ1・2 キャンセルプラス1・2

6    (空中)如月→天雷槍月→エアリアルダッシュ→如月
→天雷槍月(雷撃前にキャンセル)→空中月閃光AB→(敵に近づいて地上天雷槍月)→地上月閃光AB→JC月破墜迅脚

天雷槍月を使いたい人向けコンボ。地上天雷槍月は敵と距離が離れているときに使用。
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルダッシュ エアリアルアーツ1・2・3 キャンセルプラス1・2

7    崩蹴月→風月(ジャンプキャンセル)→如月(打ち上げ)→天雷槍月→(エアリアルダッシュ)→神月烈破→飛燕連月華(ジャンプキャンセル)→月牙・鷹→落月爪

風月以降を尖月→円月・鳶(最後まで発動)→(JC→タッチダウン)→弧月閃→月華天翔刃→JC月破紫電脚→月閃光 でも良いかも
必要スキル    エアリアルジャンプ1・2 ジャンプキャンセル エアリアルダッシュ エアリアルアーツ1・2・3 キャンセルプラス1・2

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: April 15, 2009, 05:01:32 AM »
This is nothing new, remember Omega wandering around in your way in FF5?

While V has a number of spots with tougher than usual enemies,

1.  they aren't that much of a chore.  Even Shinryu goes splat fairly quickly
2. they don't block your way
3. They don't require you to master every job and then some just to get a turn.  

Anyways,

DQV (DS):  I like it a bit more than IV so far.   

Valkyria Chronicles:  I've wasted a lot of time redoing the tank escape bit near the beginning trying to get a better rank, which invaribly means I eat a lot more counters and get pwned by the tank.   

Pyro

« Reply #1914 on: April 15, 2009, 05:38:42 AM »
Are you sure this is not ED5? I don't remember any PCs in ED3 to be musicians.
Ding-ding-ding.

US LoH1 = JPN LoH4
US LoH2 = JPN LoH3
US LoH3 = JPN LoH5

Don't ask ME.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: April 15, 2009, 05:58:44 AM »
God Hand - Beat Stage 3 with 4 Continues, and Stage 4 with 11 Continues.  This is miles better than my Stage 2 run with 20 Continues.  Maybe I'll be able to do a KMS run in the NG+.

Chain Yanker -> Yes Man Kablaam -> Yes Man Kablaam -> O Reaction is a lifesaver.  The only two roulette moves I use with any real consistency are Chain Yanker and Typhoon Kick.  I'll occasionally use Divine Smash 2 if I'm feeling a little stressed, but I'm getting to the point where I may as well give up Wild Pitch.  Got a roulette move I'll never use, though - God Charge.  Roulette Orbs are FAR more rare/valuable than God Hand Gauge.  Next stop?  Trading out 100 Fists for Home Run God (I get the feeling I'm gonna hate Stage 5).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: April 15, 2009, 06:17:07 AM »
MK: Chap 9 started!  Would you believe the game froze *TWICE* in the end dungeno of Chap 8?  Thankfully, its a short dungeon and the second time was after the save point, ubt still, geez.  You'd think by now I'd have grown use to it, but its actually getting MORE FRUSTRATING.

Thank god I'm 2/3rds of the way done with the game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1917 on: April 15, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »
God Hand - Beat Stage 3 with 4 Continues, and Stage 4 with 11 Continues.  This is miles better than my Stage 2 run with 20 Continues.  Maybe I'll be able to do a KMS run in the NG+.

Chain Yanker -> Yes Man Kablaam -> Yes Man Kablaam -> O Reaction is a lifesaver.  The only two roulette moves I use with any real consistency are Chain Yanker and Typhoon Kick.  I'll occasionally use Divine Smash 2 if I'm feeling a little stressed, but I'm getting to the point where I may as well give up Wild Pitch.  Got a roulette move I'll never use, though - God Charge.  Roulette Orbs are FAR more rare/valuable than God Hand Gauge.  Next stop?  Trading out 100 Fists for Home Run God (I get the feeling I'm gonna hate Stage 5).

God Hand stat topic needs to happen... Dooooo iiiiit~!

-Djinn

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: April 15, 2009, 07:07:35 AM »
Yeah, the localizations of the Legend of Heroes games screwed up the numbers big time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: April 15, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »
VP2 - More SG. Okay, I sorta screwed up on ATK, but 2300 base INT Hrist will do nicely. Her base STR is 1500~ anyway. >_> Sooooooooo.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: April 15, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
So new WoW Patch out!  Lots of cool stuff!  New raid instance.

We form our 10 man raid with 13 people.  Sat 3  of them.  One of them being myself in spite of my wanting to go, but I thought it was the better choice for the guild as a whole (Not necessarily better players or a better Raid Leader, but people I wanted to get working together and someone I wanted to try out RLing).  So they start.  Then like 5 fucking minutes in "Server will be resetting in 50 minutes" after we had been notified that all US Servers would be reset.  So once again Blizzard resets our goddamned server during PRIME TIME RAID NIGHT.  Oh and they do it the FIRST FUCKING NIGHT OF RAIDING NEW CONTENT.  THANK YOU BLIZZARD, THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH.

Fuck heads.  Here is your customer service.  It is a a triple scoop ice cream cone where the middle scoop is dog shit instead of ice cream.  New content, good!  Lots of balance changes that I kind of approve of! Yay!  Server resets during prime time what the fuck.  Oh and the ice cream is fucking melted because the content is 2 months to fucking late.

Anyway, Sega Collection has some cool stuff on it (Golden Axe and Streets of Rage might not seem great now, but they are pretty solid beat 'em ups for the age).  Some of the better Megadrive titles are not on it though.  Mutant League Hockey, Skitchin' and NBA Jam are big ones that haven't been released on Wii Virtual Console or X-Box Live that would have been good choices.  Toe Jam and Earl is godlike (Virtual Console).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: April 15, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
Anyway, Sega Collection has some cool stuff on it (Golden Axe and Streets of Rage might not seem great now, but they are pretty solid beat 'em ups for the age).  Some of the better Megadrive titles are not on it though.  Mutant League Hockey, Skitchin' and NBA Jam are big ones that haven't been released on Wii Virtual Console or X-Box Live that would have been good choices.  Toe Jam and Earl is godlike (Virtual Console).

Believe it or not, I actually liked Mutant League Football better than Hockey. I think it was funnier.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »
It might help if Grid Iron didn't suck and Hockey (Choose whichever form you prefer) wasn't the best sport ever.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: April 15, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »
Big patch days are *always* unstable, so we weren't too surprised when it crashed a few times on us.  On the other hand, we're on Andorhal, which is famed for it's Player vs. Server combat, so it may just be a case of low expectations on our parts.

Anyways, hit up the 25-man version, took down the Razorscale and the tank, and plan on skipping Ignis once we get back into it tonight, as he's currently bugged and will eventually one-shot the tank.  Also took out the new Wintergrasp boss, but I get the feeling it'll be a while before people will be able to pug that one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:15:12 PM by Unoriginal »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: April 15, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »
There is buggy server but playable (which it was!) and there is restarting Timezone specific servers at 9 at night the day after the patch.  Do I need to remind you that we get regular Maintenance at that same time every week, so we had it 2 days in a row?