imageRegister

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676368 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1950 on: April 18, 2009, 06:26:28 AM »
ULDUAR

Indeed.  Did my first healing on a druid in there on brother's alt when we needed a third healer on main run night.   We got Razorscale and XT down, going to work on Ignis on the mains on Sunday.  Tonight we continue the alt run which got Razorscale down.  Progression on non-trivial content is awesome.

We've got Razorscale and Ignis, XT is tough. We had him enrage at 5% once. And you can't pop CDs and burn him down, because he overkills me (with 40k health and a shitton of mitigation) for over 100k.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: April 18, 2009, 06:38:39 AM »
Yeah XT is a nice fight with a pretty tightly tuned enrage.  Ignis we pretty much just haven't had the time (Had like 3 pulls on it or something split up over 2 nights.  Always last thing).  DPSing XT instead of healing it showed me some spots I could have improved easilly (Like not knowing the boombots hurt other bots makes the adds way harder than they have to be).  Mana management was also really bad on my part for a lot of tries which hindered us.

That said I am probably being a bit harsh on myself in the second run.  Main run got him down with 4 ranged DPS out of 5 DPS and had a Hunter and an Elemental shaman with the new talent that boosts snare.  Oh and you know a Mage as well.  Compared to the only ranged DPS we had in the second run was us 2 warlocks and no snares.  Still very beatable, just gotta tighten up the DPS a bit.

Very cool fights.

Edit - Oh and I could go on and on about how fantastically designed the hard mode for XT is as well.  That one may just end up being something of a masterpiece in my mind.  It is pretty subtle for how effective it is.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: April 18, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »
P4: Beaten again, but with the bonus of a 100% Compendium and enough money to fuse the NG+ Persona off the bat.  Whooo.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: April 18, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
VP2 - This time, Ethereal/Dirna for Godlike went down without resets. Wondering if I should call it a day for now and play something else.

VP2 - Well, I didn't. Odin and Gabriel remain beautifully worthless (whee one-turning Gabriel off sub-70 AP strings).

>_>

Snow with VPII = CT with SO3?

Infinite Undiscovery- Got through the forest, found the dude I was looking for, found my way back to the city, yay plot progression ... now I have the forest again -_-
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: April 18, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
Ignis was still bugged when we got to him, so we wound up skipping him and moving on.  Cleared the rest up through Thorim, but Mimiron sounds like he's going to take up most of a night by himself.  Not messing around with any Hard Modes yet.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: April 18, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »
Mimiron sounds like awesome fun.  Dodging Cthun laser beams while three other things are happening in a crazy hard burn phase.  There is just so much win in Ulduar.

Edit - Which again, I really have to say, should have been out a month ago.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 18, 2009, 07:22:57 PM »
VP2 - This time, Ethereal/Dirna for Godlike went down without resets. Wondering if I should call it a day for now and play something else.

VP2 - Well, I didn't. Odin and Gabriel remain beautifully worthless (whee one-turning Gabriel off sub-70 AP strings).

>_>

Snow with VPII = CT with SO3?

Not quite, I'm just doing the required SG runs for the Angel Slayer. Well, and for fun. God knows that, aside from the SG and crazy pretty, VP2 doesn't have much else.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: April 18, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »
Yeah XT is a nice fight with a pretty tightly tuned enrage.  Ignis we pretty much just haven't had the time (Had like 3 pulls on it or something split up over 2 nights.  Always last thing).  DPSing XT instead of healing it showed me some spots I could have improved easilly (Like not knowing the boombots hurt other bots makes the adds way harder than they have to be).  Mana management was also really bad on my part for a lot of tries which hindered us.

That said I am probably being a bit harsh on myself in the second run.  Main run got him down with 4 ranged DPS out of 5 DPS and had a Hunter and an Elemental shaman with the new talent that boosts snare.  Oh and you know a Mage as well.  Compared to the only ranged DPS we had in the second run was us 2 warlocks and no snares.  Still very beatable, just gotta tighten up the DPS a bit.

Very cool fights.

Edit - Oh and I could go on and on about how fantastically designed the hard mode for XT is as well.  That one may just end up being something of a masterpiece in my mind.  It is pretty subtle for how effective it is.

Well, we pushed our DPS basically as far as we can go and he enraged and wiped us with about 40k when everyone was dead. It sucked. Basically we need to gear a few people up more and not have to pull the melee off the boss, ever.

Other than that? We did some trial runs on Ignis and I think found a perfect path to kite him along. Pretty optimistic about how that will go next time we try. Up to Kologarn on 10, which reminds me of Giga Gaia in Chrono Trigger.

Pyro

« Reply #1958 on: April 18, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
God knows that, aside from the SG and crazy pretty, VP2 doesn't have much else.

Says you.

TotW:RM : Beat down a lamer and met the villain with the funny name. TALES PLOT with a silent main. Bad times, bad times.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: April 18, 2009, 07:40:59 PM »

Says you.

Alicia fangirl. =P

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: April 18, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
Go back to fanboying over Moppy's dreamy face, Snow.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: April 18, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »
Go back to fanboying over Moppy's dreamy face, Snow.

Hey, Dog Odin is pretty adorable in a pathetic sort of sense, much like, say, a starving stray puppy. Or Hare Krishnas.

Idun

« Reply #1962 on: April 18, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
I beat the Lindwyrm with Richard's help. Defeated Orthros (very easy, made me happy). Then I accepted the Chocobo Quest at the Paramina Rift, couldn't find it, decided to move onto the Feywood and I am now in the Feywood. One of the best dungeons with the best music if you ask me.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: April 18, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »

Says you.

Because you never say anything bad about RPGs other people like.

OG2 - Finished Chapter 26! I should really do PC/mech comments soon, but lazy.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

« Reply #1964 on: April 18, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
Because you never say anything bad about RPGs other people like.

I make a special exception for Grandia 3 (and no one likes SO4 yet anyway). Though really, who is going to argue with about Grandia 3 plot? I never said the combat was bad! Just that the difficulty curve was all over the place. And no one has anyone argued with me about the egg fusion in GX being superior.

Legend of Heroes 3:
Apparently being a music star makes you really popular with girls. Poor Una, I guess.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: April 18, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »
Oh, okay, you can make exceptions, as long as nobody else does, right? G3 and SO4 aren't the only games you've bitched about, anyway. In fact you bitch about games more than most people here, which is why you calling others on it is psyduck-inducing. Either don't snipe at games or don't complain when others do; I don't really care which, but the hypocrisy is annoying.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:29 AM »
Beat FF3 today. I decided I just wanted to blitz the damn game before finals weeks, so I did.

When I started this blitz (right after Sardonia arc), I had a party of Thief/Dragoon/Geomancer/Red Mage. I realized pretty quickly that RM was a bit of a weak link on the team, even though he had shileds which is an advantage over the other mages, he was essentially being a white mage with worse charges and shields. I decided that the trade-off to WM was worth it.

So I do things and then I go jack Odin's spear from him, making my Dragoon Godlike. Really wish I had started levelling the class as soon as I got the opening, but whatever. We do more arcs, get the INCREDIBLY RETARDEDLY SLOW INVINCIBLE, and then we go through a ridiculous series of tiny mountains to get to this cave. Is there any damn reason why they had to make it only jump TINY MOUNTAINS instead of just mountains other than to make you go through this stupid tedious tiny arc of the game?

So blah blah blah, go through caves, fight my homies, get keys, get NEW CLASSES!. I decide on a party of Ninja(initially just because Thief was J-Levell 99, but he's pretty cool, better armor and such)/Dragoon/Sage/Devout. This party bores me pretty fast because I don't feel like having two useless people is very fun. So I change the Sage into a Warrior, which makes every random go a lot more smoothly, for all that I wish this character had J-Levels in Warrior at all (my dragoon did!). I go through Eureka, load up on potions, and march to fight the Cloud of Darkness. XANDE is ridiculously ugly and ridiculously easy. This is hilarious.

I had a lot of trouble with Two-Headed Dragon, mostly. He killed two (most healed) people in one round with made me cry a bit, may have critted one of them? Cerebus was scary but ultimately not that bad, my offensive output laid him to waste quickly.

I finish all this and I think that I do not want to do all this damn shit over, so I ask Meeple what I should equip. Realize I can't use Protect since my Warrior changed back to a Sage for the final. So I equip Protect Rings, throw people in the back, equip Blood Lance again, and hope for the best! First few rounds I spent killing the magic immune tentacle, hasting, and using Turtle Shell on Devout, which was pretty awesome. Devout only went after CoD once, and she killed Sage with that, but I revived and Curaga'd before she could wrought any more destruction. Sage did very little of use the entire battle, tried to kill the physically immune tentacle but it was too slow to have any real effect on the battle. The turn after Sage died was the only really scary one, and it went about the best it could have so whatever.

I think that it would have been easy to make this game a lot better with just little polish things like being able to warp to different towns, having a faster airship that can fly over mountains, and for god sakes have a save point in the final dungeon. It feels like... pretty much what it is, which is an NES game dressed up in pretty graphics. I really dig the graphical style as well as the music, so it gets points for that.

It's certainly fun enough, but the fact that it took me like three years to finally get up the desire to beat it is a little telling. I like how different jobs are useful in different places since it encourages you to use a lot of different things. Also gets points for starting the job class system which is a lot better than the system adopted in FF6/FF7/FF8 (especially the latter two) which doesn't really encourage balancing between magic and physicals, and while you could have everyone be x class, it's probably better not to, whereas in some of the other FFs I feel like it promotes conformity.

I'm not sure what rating I'd like to give it. It's a fun game but I feel like it isn't quite as good as, say, FF5 or FF9, so I think I will give it a 6/10.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
I happened to like SO4 well enough, but that's because combat is fun and they put in the greatest feature ever: summaries at the end of skipped scenes, so you still know where to go. Unlike pretty much every other RPG developer, they've finally realized making a character people actually like is like getting struck by lightning, so let's not presume that the player is interested in everyone's exposition.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 01:03:50 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:02 AM »
OH yeah keeping your melee on XT should get you a kill there (You run 25s right?  So this will have to scale up to a few more ranged DPS), I am fairly confident we would have been able to sufficiently cover the adds with just 2 ranged and no snares with both a bit of luck and doing a good job at it. 

From lock point of view in 10 man at the gear level you should be going into Ulduar with (full purples, but nothing really more strenuous than that, trinket slots give or take depending on drops), Affliction you just drop 3 SoC on the scrapbots then Shadow flame them if there is no Boombots.  If there is a boombot, I would SoC once on a scrapbot nearby and then focus down the boombot and you are pretty much certain to kill everything (Boombot CAN kill scrapbots by itself).  It is pretty tight race when stuff spawns at the front of the room, but you CAN cover it.  Ideally though I would have preferred to have one of our 2 locks be a mage and have a hunter to help cover wherever stuff is going nasty.  It is a very cool fight anyway.

Bardiche

« Reply #1969 on: April 19, 2009, 03:23:01 AM »
MK - Just got Muppy. Hate him. >_> Guess he's good for sending out on a Search. Nikki keeps bringing back MGK fruits, Jess is happy. Are there any other places someone'll bring me Fruits back from? I'm looking for some Speed fruit to turn Anna into a real speed machine.

And... Jess congratulated me on my birthday. Is this a scripted event or a precursor to who's going to be my uh, "ending" person? -wants Anna-

Beating those two bimbos for Muppy was pretty fun. I had Pamela, Jess and Roxis spam Thunder Rains for Timed Card rape. Mmmmmmmm...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
Star Ocean 4: Started this up! No, MK isn't finished yet, but decided to get off my ass and start something new cause starting a new game is kind of hard; once you break the ice, getting to play it suddenly is a lot easier.  I blame new games being more complex, requiring you to go through boring tutorials, etc.

...but general crap aside, so far, SO4 is a bit disappointing in gameplay.  Not really a fan of this Blindside system, I just hope the game doesn't make too much a big deal of it, and keeps as just "An option you can exploit throughout the game"  rather than "USE THIS OR DIE."  SO3 did the former with Fury, for example, which is why it worked, as it more worked its way in the battle system, rather than forcing exploitations of it.  Admittedly, I haven't gotten anything beyond the initial techs, so I don't know how comboing really handles, but the controls feel a step down to SO3's general simple and easy to work with ones.

The thing that sticks out to me most right now?  CAMERA ANGLES.  No, not in battle; those are what you come to expect.  Its OUT OF BATTLE that pisses me off.  The way the Camera follows Edge, its too close; you can get caught up around corners and looking from awkward sides with little visibility, what have you.  Yes, Pressing hte Analog = Center Camera, but mrf.  I wouldn't mind this so much if SO4 didn't do the popular modern style of "Enemies can be seen on the map."  If this was a typical "Run around til you get into a fight" game? Yeah, not a big deal; minor inconvenience at most.
But here's a case where visible randoms are a DOWNSIDE.  Camera Angles = you don't see enemies = AHAHAHAH AMBUSHED CAUSE THE CAMERA SCREWED YOU. 
And of course, makes navigating a bitch.

Characters...Edge has neutral vibes.  Character Archtype that's been done a lot before, be it really well (Zack), really awful (Justin), or just sort of loses that personality after a point and fades away (like Yuki), so uh, yeah, I have no expectations for him one way or another!  Reimi, though, annoys me; stereotype needy female best friend who secretly wants in the Main's pants? No, we haven't seen THAT before!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 19, 2009, 06:03:32 AM »
MK - Just got Muppy. Hate him. >_> Guess he's good for sending out on a Search. Nikki keeps bringing back MGK fruits, Jess is happy. Are there any other places someone'll bring me Fruits back from? I'm looking for some Speed fruit to turn Anna into a real speed machine.

And... Jess congratulated me on my birthday. Is this a scripted event or a precursor to who's going to be my uh, "ending" person? -wants Anna-

Beating those two bimbos for Muppy was pretty fun. I had Pamela, Jess and Roxis spam Thunder Rains for Timed Card rape. Mmmmmmmm...

I think Nikki did the BDay thing for me, so it might be related to the character quests you've completed at that juncture. You have full choice over who you get for your personal ending. It is fully determined in the... lastish chapter, pretty much.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 20, 2009, 02:44:31 AM »
So today, in FF6, we restored peace between the Empire and the Espers. Parades were had, flowers were planted to frolic in, and the incredibly hideous flat-topped general and the Espers were truly friends. As we all frolicked and laughed and played, a distant laughter was heard.

THE END. :)

Okay maybe not. We are sucking suckers, but not as bad as bunny-dog emperor, who is not even slightly suspicious when his evil, homicidal general cackles evilly for absolutely no reason as he climbs to seek ULTIMATE POWER. Nothing could possibly go wrong now. I'm going with a team of GIRLZ and EDGRRR.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 20, 2009, 04:16:16 AM »
Platinum:  Yeah, Fantina is the third gym leader now instead of fifth.  Level 26 Mismagius with good moveset=ouch.  Even with just about everyone on my team knowing Bite, I still needed some luck to beat her.

Then Maylene comes along and her whole gym is nearly soloed by Drifloon/Drifblim with GUST.  Her level 32 Lucario died in 1 hit from level 27 Geodude's Magnitude 7 (critical, but still...).

Current team is Drifblim, Psyduck, Grotle, Luxio, Geodude.  All in the mid to late 20s.

Also, my wife is letting me attend the Pokemon Nationals in Dallas May 30th, so I'm in intense training mode.  Can't get the music from Rocky out of my head.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1974 on: April 20, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
Also, my wife is letting me attend the Pokemon Nationals in Dallas May 30th, so I'm in intense training mode.  Can't get the music from Rocky out of my head.

Awesome wife. Awesome theme music for PKMN training.  ;D

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
YAY! This came in! Will alternate between this and ToV depending upon whether I'm in the mood for a happy game or a dark demonic game. Which label applies to which game is up to you!

So far, so good - I've watched the world get destroyed, got mutated into some kind of freakish half-demon, recruited a Pixie, and watched all my friends who survived go insane! Hijiri is the only human being who survived the apocalypse who has any sense. He's pretty useless in terms of physical matters, but he tells you such and proceeds to do things that he -can- do, like research and hacking. The Manikins are creepy, but a really interesting civilization. I keep getting 'slavery is bad' vibes from them, but I suspect they will develop into a more interesting society - especially after having met the serial killer Manikin.

Very dark game, and the built-in Mythology bios on the recruitable demons is awesome. No more wikipedia-ing every random encounter I come across like in SMT1+2!

Magatama system ensures that Demi-Fiend's PC form is pretty broken in a duel setting. Also, he's technically the only human PC who can summon (but he also appears to be the only human PC, so he has less claim to the ability than SMT1 Hero and Aleph did....). He apparently picks up another Press Turn eventually, so he'd be a double-turning monster who can null all kinds of damage with a ridiculously good skillset. However, that would only make him a good Godlike, not Bluelike.

also... Isamu = Naoto

-Djinn