Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676619 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
Repede gets an invincibility move and TP Regen. This is exactly as broken as you'd think. Doglike is Godlike.
That makes me all kinds of happy. But now I'm worried he might be overpowered and unrankable as a result. He's not Bluelike is he?

Maybe.  Double turning repeatedly or instant death would be more or less the only way to win against him.  Of course, Repede's the fastest PC and you'd have to allow instant death to go through his whatever it is.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »
That makes me all kinds of happy. But now I'm worried he might be overpowered and unrankable as a result. He's not Bluelike is he?
Average speed, literally wins if he gets a turn.  If that's not Bluelike, it's at least so fucking boring that he shouldn't be ranked.

Yeah, but I overall liked the word 'Phonon'...
Fonon.

Rhapsody DS - Beaten! Very easy game, although the Ancient Weapon at the bottom of the neitherworld beat me a few time. That might have more to do with which party members are forced for that fight then anything else though. Albatross kiiiiina blows. And none of those three can sub in for Cornet for healing, sadly.

Beat the game with final party of Cornet/KnightSpawn/Flare/Sharte.

I also must have missed a puppet somewhere, since the ending graphic showed Cornet and all the puppets...plus one I didn't recognize. Looked kinda like a machine of some sort. Eh, I'll FAQ it if I decide to replay the game. I might, it's short enough.

Good team, though I'm not sure how good Flare is at endgame offhand.

And the one you missed might've been Koro?  He's pretty FAQ bait.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:02 PM »
Flare was pretty solid. I was wanting someone who was fast with enough damage to make it count. He fit the bill nicely. KnightSpawn was MVP(most valuable puppet), but that's not really a surprise. His stats are kinda cracked out. Sharte played backup healer and holy damage, did the job well enough.

And that would be it. I did not have anyone named Koro.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Taishyr

« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:22 PM »
Picked up Soul Nomad again, got to L7. Interesting game. That is all.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2009, 01:51:17 AM »
And KnightSpawn got nerfed in the DS version.  >.>

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2009, 04:38:12 AM »
*reads back in the thread a bit*

*calls Grefter a little girl for his moaning about Fallout 3 weapon degradation*

Am up to the last boss of P4. Probably beat it tomorrow. Woo?

I've also been playing Mask of the Betrayer, the expansion to NWN2 I've heard so many amazing things about. It seems... decent. Talk about slowdown, though. Too many damn spell-effects for realtime D&D battles at freaking level twenty. Not to mention how much of a hassle playing a spellcaster becomes. I'm a Cleric, and I mostly just buff myself and dive in swinging, but... damn, three primary spellcaster party members involves a bit more bookkeeping than I feel like doing right now. As far as the story, it definitely picked one of the only interesting parts of the Forgotten Realms, so good on it for that. And the characters definitely have some flair and depth; the voice-acting is a bit flat, albeit perfectly acceptable. I just finished Act I, and I've definitely just seen one of the big choices you have to make as far as branching the plot goes. Looking forward to seeing more, as they've been highly touted where this game's concerned.

I think I'm going to take a stab at The Witcher, too. I've heard some mixed things, but it seems like it might be promising.

Jesus I need a job. ;_;

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 14, 2009, 06:38:33 AM »
Phantom Brave: Episode 16!  Enemies seem to suddenly have spiked in levels as well...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2009, 12:30:17 PM »
Final Fantasy XII: Beat it. The last boss was rather annoying as every time he managed to down a character, it turned into a race where I revived the KO'ed one and he downed another. Fortunately, sooner or later I would block two of his attacks in a row which would bring me back on my feet. Then when he had not so much HP left, his Giga Flare Sword decided to kill all three active characters despite them being at full HP. At that point I switched in the rest and unloaded a quickening chain that did 30,000-something points of damage and killed it. Against the other bosses a quickening chain of equal number of hits did just about 8,000 points of damage. Whatever, boss killed and crisis averted.

Fighting cannon fodder enemies was rather fun, but strangely enough it became less fun any time the enemies became challenging. Due to the game relying on gambits doing most of the work, selecting commands for the characters became much more bothersome than usual. As such, whenever I encountered enemies that couldn't be defeated with my Gambit setup alone, it was easier to just grind for better equipment rather than micromanaging the characters.

It reminds me a bit of .hack infection which also had the problem of not handling challenging enemies well. Both games had real-time battles combined with near instant full healing, a combination I think is a bad idea.

Still, the battles are better here than in any of the Playstation FFs where most enemies could have been beaten with an "heal if any character has low HP and attack otherwise" AI setup, but nevertheless required manual control. Compared to FF X however, it's a major downgrade. Seriously, if you finally fix the problem with every enemy being vulnerable to the same strategy, don't unfix it the next game.

Story was pretty bland. FF XII went for a political plot, but for some reason I still found myself running into old temples and ancient ruins way to often. I can't say I cared for the characters either. None really bothered me except for Vahn, but that was just at the very beginning. On the other hand, none really interested me either. The judges were also typically handled as Organisation XIII members, introduce them in one cut-scene and then kill them the next time you see them, only the judges had less style.

The game is playable, but not more than that. I probably give it a 5/10.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2009, 01:05:36 PM »
Phantom Brave: Episode 16!  Enemies seem to suddenly have spiked in levels as well...

Ah, the lategame jump. That's the point where the maingame starts testing your twink-fu.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »
Well, I'm still doing fine for myself; usually get into trouble due to screw ups based on crap like "Enemy cheaply OB'd a character!" or "****! I didn't want to end that turn with Ash!" more so than enemies being competent, so I think I'm alright for now, but I'll probably have to do some more Failure dungeon runs for levels.

And no, I'm not cheesing super weapons out, as I haven't gotten one; this isn't to say I'm not TRYING (and no, I don't have a bottlemail so don't suggest that; I'm not trying to break the game into tiny pieces <_<)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
I've also been playing Mask of the Betrayer, the expansion to NWN2 I've heard so many amazing things about. It seems... decent. Talk about slowdown, though. Too many damn spell-effects for realtime D&D battles at freaking level twenty. Not to mention how much of a hassle playing a spellcaster becomes. I'm a Cleric, and I mostly just buff myself and dive in swinging, but... damn, three primary spellcaster party members involves a bit more bookkeeping than I feel like doing right now.

Uh... ow. Should have asked about that in advance. A dedicated caster class isn't the best choice for MotB, since the recruitable party members are so weighted towards that.

What party members do you have?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »

Whaaaaaat.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2009, 05:53:48 PM »

Kaizo Rhapsody indeed.

Finished Rhapsody DS around two weeks ago myself, been too lazy to post here about it. Used Sharte/Koro/Knightspawn mainly, with Kukuru for most of the game was around (Knightspawn was badly underlevelled when I first got him). Had trouble with the same boss that Gate did, since I did not use the three Mustaki warriors at all so their levels sucked.

Plot was pure fluff, but at least inoffensive fluff. Relying more on shoujo tropes than shounen ones made things less tiresome than usual, and I liked how the Cornet/Kukuru stuff ended up playing out.

Marjoly deserves note for being a female, stripperific version of BOWSER. It was amusing to see how her underlings didn't take her seriously as all. Also, I managed to mistake two of said minions for males - guess I'm too used to hyper-androgynous bishonens nowadays. <_<

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »
KnightSpawn has the highest levelling rate in the game (about the same as Cornet's I think?) so him being behind doesn't matter as much.

The plot, well, it doesn't take itself seriously, which helps it a lot.  And be fair, everyone mistakes one of Marjoly's underlings for a male.

Gate: My Rhapsody LLNA run requires an underlevelled KnightSpawn tanking the final boss's attack over and over while trying to hit it with Sleep, which is pretty much an instant win.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
Iji: Downloaded it and got to the point where I killed a Death-Sphere. I'm taking the "kill as much as possible" approach and I get the feeling I'm heading towards a bad ending.

The game is rather fun so far.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2009, 10:39:03 PM »
TotA - *EPIC GUY BACKSTORYZ.*

Wait a second. Guy as a kid was buried under a pile of woman corpses and the psychological result of it is a terribly convenient manifestation of Florina-ism that gets played for laughs and now can double as sad sobstory fodder too? I... I... I... man. I had issues with his backstory before, but god. This is so -stupid-. I'm not sure whether I feel cheated, insulted or just a million braincells dumber. This is just about the most retarded way to pull MYSTARY out of a simple anime quirk that I've ever seen.

tl;dr, this is Guy backstory in a nutshell:

Goddamn.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:54:21 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
Iji: Downloaded it and got to the point where I killed a Death-Sphere. I'm taking the "kill as much as possible" approach and I get the feeling I'm heading towards a bad ending.

The game is rather fun so far.

I finished it in genocide mode myself and the ending was actually fairly tame, but then again I also followed the ribbon trail and that seemed to help Iji keep a grip on herself, so I dunno what would happen if you didn't do that.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
There aren't distinct Good and Bad endings, really. Just a lot of factors that cause small variations.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2009, 11:30:48 PM »
Pretty much how I feel about that laughable piece of story execution, Snow.

FE9 - So I'm up to Chapter 22 in my efforts to crush the game. And it is being crushed indeed. Forget if I've posted about this before; if not, the idea is I am using the Objective Best Possible Party (though I'm kinda questioning if Makalov should be in it... Nephenee might have been a better choice), Fixed Mode, no holds barred (using all the stat boosters, etc.). Been dividing bonus experience evenly and kills as evenly as I can manage. Nobody has died yet (aside from Mia in Chapter 7, but that was an acceptable casualty), though I reset on Chapter 10 a few times because I did it stealth-style.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:09 AM »
I'm not sure whether I feel cheated, insulted or just a million braincells dumber.

Do yuo not mean all of the above?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #220 on: January 15, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »
On TotA - Yeah, I actually really liked Guy and even -I- found that part of his backstory painfully executed. The rest of his motivations are believable enough - the revenge, the dedication to Luke/Asch, his interactions with Van... He's even generally free of holding the idiot ball.

I just get the feeling that the creators REALLY wanted to give him the gynophobia quirk, but there was no logical reason anyone would develop a physical fear of women that manifests itself the way Guy's does. Not that fear has to be logical, which is where I think the writing really failed.

I should replay TotA.

-Djinn

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2009, 02:03:32 AM »
I'm not sure whether I feel cheated, insulted or just a million braincells dumber.

Do yuo not mean all of the above?

The game doesn't -deserve- that much.

I just get the feeling that the creators REALLY wanted to give him the gynophobia quirk, but there was no logical reason anyone would develop a physical fear of women that manifests itself the way Guy's does. Not that fear has to be logical, which is where I think the writing really failed.

The problem wasn't the gynophobia itself. It was the fact they wanted it to be both a humorous quirk and a MYSTARIOUS MYSTERY SECRET SECRET OF SAD SADNESS. Trying to extract an effective sob story out of an animetastic quirk trope requires very meticulous thinking, effective usage of the powder keg known as refuge in audacity and great raw writing skill - none of which TotA's writers have. The result is the glurgilicious narm known as Guy backstory.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 02:06:50 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2009, 02:15:56 AM »
The problem wasn't the gynophobia itself. It was the fact they wanted it to be both a humorous quirk and a MYSTARIOUS MYSTERY SECRET SECRET OF SAD SADNESS. Trying to extract an effective sob story out of an animetastic quirk trope requires very meticulous thinking, effective usage of the powder keg known as refuge in audacity and great raw writing skill - none of which TotA's writers have. The result is the glurgilicious narm known as Guy backstory.

Right, I agree with this. Honestly, the quirk itself wasn't so bad, I actually found it somewhat amusing once or twice. And Guy's backstory itself isn't bad - it explains a lot of his motivations fairly realistically.
It's just the fact that the writers tried to tie the two together (and in the process gave him a repressed memory in addition to the already-tragic past that he DID remember...).

I think he could have had this quirk without really needing this kind of justification... and it would have been okay.

-Djinn

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2009, 02:19:05 AM »
VC- FUCK TANKS.  Desert mission next. Oh boy, this is the one Hal warned me about.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2009, 07:56:38 AM »
Iji: Beat it.

Yikes, the story was even more morbid than I expected. It was fun to play though. I ended up spending very little on attack. I wanted to try things out and therefore prioritized Strength, Crack, Tazen and Komodo so that I could get past as many doors as possible and also get every weapon. Well, I didn't get any secret ones, but I got every weapon combination. It worked out well though except Annihilators toke a long time to kill that way.