Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676142 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2300 on: May 11, 2009, 06:42:23 AM »
Noted. I'll promote Colm NOW while I think of it.

Also, Neimi has EIGHT more levels as archer. I love this crying baby of a woman.

annnnnnnnnd Hatbot says....

Colm is now an assassin. Garcia apparently has 65 more experience before he levels. I should probably buy an unlock staff or something.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: May 11, 2009, 07:02:21 AM »
Does anyone know FOR SURE if you need promotion items in this game, or is it a game where you can level to "21" and promote that way? This is pretty darned important for me. Also, how do the trainee promotions work? Do they need items? I'm supposedly using Ewan on this run.

For normal characters, you need the promotion item. Apprentices, they promote automatically when they reach L10, then you need to level them to at least 10 and use the promotion item.

Neimi: Is absolutely disgusting and has something like five more levels as archer. I think I might like Neimi more than Rebecca. Yeah, I said it. She'll be badass regardless of what Hatbot makes her into.

Neimi is so much better than Rebecca it's not even funny. Better growths, gets the class option of Ranger, which is utterly badass and while she has shaky starting stats like Rebecca, unlike Becca, Neimi gets the best support in the game basically the minute she joins. So yeah.

S3 - Still at Thomas 1. I'm now remembering why I liked S3 so much, and my party is a fair deal better than at first. Juan with a Turtle Tunic at this point is pretty damned badass, and he even has three swings right now (capped his Swing level). Thomas' skill growths are so goddamned painful.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: May 11, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
WoW - So yeah we have slowed down a lot.  Mimiron still not dead.  Had my first actual look at the fight, we get to phase 4.  It is a bit sloppy sometimes, but looks very doable (So it is already a million times better than Gruul was for me back in BC when I started raiding).  Pretty cool fight.  I would like to see it dead just to see the numbers our mages can put out on Vezax though.

We're currently stuck on Thorim, ourselves. Haven't found quite the right ratio for the gauntlet.

We keep one of the mages out in the arena and send the rest of the casters along, as the added AoE can help keep pressure off the melee, and the caster mobs have some buffs they can swipe.  If you're having trouble with the second half of the gauntlet, have the tank get initial aggro on the initial mobs then rush up the stairs to tag the sub-boss to shut off the flow of reinforcements.  Works for us, at least.

You are 10 man raiding as well aren't you Rob?  We 2 heal it personally.  Tank/Healer in the arena (of course) and 3 DPS in the arena, preferably one or two that aren't as squishy (First kill I was on druid alt with an Arms Warrior and an Ele Shaman for example).  If you got one I am thinking a Fury Warrior would be really good in there, WW crits should pretty much wipe out Commoners who are surprisingly threatening.  Disc priest heals it alright I found.  Don't need so much great AoE healing as good burst (and the bubbles are nice).  Other than that I would probably throw a pally at it, but have had the pally healer do the gauntlet.  Both times we have done Thorim with me there, squishies in the Gauntlet smoothed things over a bit, having the Arena be as forgiving as possible while getting just enough AoE is a good thing.  A 5/5 split is fine, we have had to wait to prevent the Hard Mode both times I was there as well.  Gauntlet is all about moving constantly, to be honest I think it is more forgiving than the ZA Eagle boss gauntlet was and getting the Adds in the arena sorted out is the tougher bit once you know the mechanics of the mini bosses.

If you are 25s though, yeah no idea.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: May 11, 2009, 04:01:54 PM »
Persona 4- At 20 hours- June 7th, right before the next character arc starts. (Rise?). Looking forward to trying to beat the next hidden boss. If he's anything like the boss at Yukiko's castle I'll be in for a fairly nasty fight.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: May 11, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
It's not, sadly.  It's pretty easy.  IIRC, it's weak to electric, so spamming Zio- works wonders. 

After the first two required bosses and the first optional, it's a lot easier.  The Void Quest Boss might be decent, though, depending on how you're set-up.  And the boss at the end of the next dungeon can be a bit of an endurance match. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:15 PM »
It's not, sadly.  It's pretty easy.  IIRC, it's weak to electric, so spamming Zio- works wonders. 

After the first two required bosses and the first optional, it's a lot easier.  The Void Quest Boss might be decent, though, depending on how you're set-up.  And the boss at the end of the next dungeon can be a bit of an endurance match. 

Yeah. If you know what you're doing, the difficulty of the game decreases exponentially over time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: May 11, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
Persona 4- At 20 hours- June 7th, right before the next character arc starts. (Rise?). Looking forward to trying to beat the next hidden boss. If he's anything like the boss at Yukiko's castle I'll be in for a fairly nasty fight.

Everybody said it before, but mmmmyeah. The highest difficulty in P4 exists in the early game, where your party is rather weak and you still don't have a lot of options to tinker with. Doesn't help the bosses that they get more predictable and less downright nasty. Lacy Unmentionables and Burger King are probably the hardest bosses in the game.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: May 11, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »

Everybody said it before, but mmmmyeah. The highest difficulty in P4 exists in the early game, where your party is rather weak and you still don't have a lot of options to tinker with. Doesn't help the bosses that they get more predictable and less downright nasty. Lacy Unmentionables and Burger King are probably the hardest bosses in the game.

The only ones I died too, so I'll agree with this.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »
OG2 - Beat ^_^. That was a fun boss fight chain, one of the harder fights for non-cheap reasons in a while. Looks like the game is almost over now... unit reviews I'll just save for the end at this point. Lune has taken over the kill lead now; her and Masaki's MAP attacks are just stupid.

MMX8 - Replayed this, not much new to add except that X's armour upgrade is disgusting. Halving damage is stupid to begin with, but the fact that it allows you to regen 100% of the damage you take instead of 50%, AND immune flinching, is just crazy.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: May 11, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »

Shame about that. I just got Kanji, but I'm going to stick with Chie since she's one of my better PC's right now. (...). Going to just use the starting four PC's this game for social links, and focus on the the others on my  replay, which I'm planning on doing after this and going for 100% completion on everything. Should be fun.

If it doesn't show, I'm really digging the game. Fuck you Persona 3 for the idiotic AI nonsense.  Edit: It just hit me that I want to play an SMT, partly for gameplay and partly because I like the characters. Whoever decided to execute all the writers and programmers from previous Persona games, give yourself a large bonus.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:52:21 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2310 on: May 11, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »

Shame about that. I just got Kanji, but I'm going to stick with Chie since she's one of my better PC's right now. (...). Going to just use the starting four PC's this game for social links, and focus on the the others on my  replay, which I'm planning on doing after this and going for 100% completion on everything. Should be fun.

If it doesn't show, I'm really digging the game. Fuck you Persona 3 for the idiotic AI nonsense.

Regarding Chie, she hits a 20-level slump due to getting shoddy new skills, then. Chie starts out good, then starts getting crappy by L30 and only begins to pick back up by L50 or so (but then, she notably does, since she gets Power Charge and actually strong physical skills). At least levels build up fast and she has decent random-geared stats. And, when you're hitting weakness, the damage doesn't matter as much. Yosuke and Yukiko are more than able to pick up the slack, at least, and honestly Kanji doesn't fare all that much better during that period (although his magic -does- suck noticeably less due to getting higher than BUFULA~ and him starting with Elec Boost). But focusing on one party only in general is a good, effective approach for P4 in general.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:05:01 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: May 11, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
I don't mind a PC being built for random fighting, that's what the vast majority of the game's combat is.

Is Mind Charge worth leveling Jack Frost for another couple of levels? Jack Frost is a bit obsolete statwise, but it had Fire Resist/Ice boost so it's damaging and tanky as hell in spite of the speed woes.
-------------------

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: May 11, 2009, 09:04:26 PM »
If you intend to pass Mind Charge forward, I'd say it's worth it, especially since it can land you a Black Frost with Mind Charge. Not a bad idea.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: May 11, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
Yeah, Ice Boost/Fire Resist/Mind Charge are all worth passing forward. JF being Magician helps a ton as well since Yosuke's someone you want to build your Slinks with fast.
-------------------

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: May 11, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
Half Life Episodes 1 and 2-Knocked this out the last couple days. Fun episodal content? On my PC? It's more likely than you think. Basically the same as HL2, excepting a few tweaks here and there, but I'm not complaining. Valve are a bunch of dicks for the constant cliffhanger endings, but whatever. Also, ;_; Eli ;_;

Portal-Beat this this afternoon. What can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a nifty gimmick puzzle game that is smart enough to be quick so it doesn't end up repetitive and it leaves you wanting more. Funny, though it might have been funnier if I played it when it came out before all the good jokes were ran into the ground by pathetic nerds. I managed to avoid hearing Still Alive, though, so that was a pleasant surprise.

So, uh, I guess that's it for The Orange Box. Now I don't know what I'm gonna play. I've been knocking around going back to Ninja Gaiden 2 to beat it on Path of the Mentor, we'll see.

Oh, and of course I've been playing Team Fortress 2. Best class so far is Medic...but A. It's Medic, the easiest class in the game, and B. Medic is boring, so I'm trying to find something else that I'm good at.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: May 11, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »
Pokemon Platinum: Version Hatbot

THE RULES
1. Starter is ditched once I catch my first pokemon.
2. I attempt to catch every pokemon I encounter. If I accidentally KO it, I must hunt it down and catch it.
3. Once my party hits six pokemon, every time I catch a new pokemon, I must ask Hatbot whether he goes in the party or into my box.
4. If Hatbot decides it goes in the party, I ask Hatbot who to remove.
5. If the pokemon has multiple possible evolutions, Hatbot decides which path it takes.
6. I will attempt to avoid overlevelling.

Current Status: Up to Heathome. Fantina has high levels. >_>

Current Party
Bronzor L19
Rotom L21
Golbat L21
Psyduck L11
Gastly L16
Gligar L18

The Box of Shame: Turtwig, Ponyta, Machop, Shellos, Shinx, Burmy, Geodude, Starly, Hoothoot, Nosepass, Parchisu, Buneaery, Silcoon, Cascoon, Shieldon, Togepi, Budew, Bibarel, Buzil, Roselia, Eevee, Ralts, Combee, Chingling, Kricketune

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: May 11, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
TF2: Finished getting the Scout unlocks last night.  Force-A-Nature is a damn blast, especially on lograv servers.  Bonk is worthless for me, probably more useful for "gamin is srs business" people.  Sandman is fun, hearing a heavy whine as he gets stunned then gunned down is great.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: May 12, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
It helps that the entire selection of party members is balanced.  I mean, I...guess I'd call Kanji LVP if you put a gun to my head and force me to answer?  He's also hardly bad, although electric tends to be the most resisted/walled element in the game (and the final absorbs it and halves physical damage, which hurts him there), but otherwise he's good.  I used the girls (great random-smashing synergy of multiple types, good speed), but the guys are great too (all the ma-kajas, Dekaja off Yosuke, excellent physical damage, healing, etc.).

Chie, as they said, falls a bit from level 30 to 55 or so.  She's actually an ok mage and fighter before then (gets an early boost and level 2 spell, has nothing else to spend her SP on), but tanks badly at that point.  But yeah, she does pick up (though the skill progression for her kind of, and Kanji definitely, was not well-designed) a lot then.  

At the very least, even if you don't use him, Kanji's got one of the more entertaining social links, so I'd suggest doing that (and Odin is a decent persona ultimate for the end anyway, so...).

Mwhahahahaha!  Super enjoying SMT is just one sign of the coming apocalypse!  Next is NEB masturbating over ToPo!!!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: May 12, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
... that was a mental image I'd rather not have. Thanks, OK, I'll need to dunk your head in acid.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
At the very least, even if you don't use him, Kanji's got one of the more entertaining social links, so I'd suggest doing that (and Odin is a decent persona ultimate for the end anyway, so...).

Odin was my goto persona for damage.  He's better than decent, he's really freaking good.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: May 12, 2009, 04:14:17 AM »
DQ4 DS: Started playing this after I beat CotM, cause I got it alongside CotM as part of a 3 game deal and it was cheapish + figured why not?  Anyway, just beat Alena's chapter.  Game's pretty much like the original except with improved polish so the usual Dragon Quest issues aren't as prevalent!

Front Mission 4: Started this up.  Beat the first real mission.  Not much beyond that.

And yes, I've been playing a lot of "4" games this year.  DQ4, FM4, SO4, DMC4, SC4...the way things are going, I think MMBN4 will be played soon as well!

This is also a good excuse to replay PS4 and WA4 that I've been intending to do at some point <_< >_>

(and no, P4 isn't on that list, don't bother trying to whip me into it)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: May 12, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »
Keeping the Edelweiss upgraded seems comical at this point considering I've yet to use more than 3 people in any given mission, but I know it'll come in handy eventually. Plus I've A-Ranked everything so far, so keeping everything in tip-top shape isn't hard.

Well, you're pretty much stuck with it, and there are a few missions where you need to move it to the endpoint or to block off a chokepoint.

Accuracy: Yes
extra ammo: OK
Tread defense/HP:  I guess it saves the Engineer from having to
Crit defense: trap

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
MK- Reloaded C11 save to make use of Snow's advice on Jade Tablets and Megingjorz. Ahaha ahahahahahah!
(read C12 Renee going down without even getting a turn, etc ^_^) Also did Pamela's final CQ and on track to collecting the Pamela ending. Is there any way to get more stat up fruits?

Grandia 2 is next. For the supers~
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:18:10 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: May 12, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
Endless Frontier - Oh god SRW PLOT.  At least instead of overblown angst we get mentions of embarrasing baby film.  Nearing the end, I think.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
Is there any way to get more stat up fruits?

Task Board Gathering rarely gets you some.  Other than that, there are some at the end of the bonus dungeon for an infinite supply.