Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676130 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2375 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:03 AM »
Skipping healing in P4 against a boss that double-acts is a daring proposition, yes.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: May 16, 2009, 01:53:28 AM »
I got wasted by a random. Whee forgetting about MT magic.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: May 16, 2009, 02:59:34 AM »
Oh. Then, just chalking it up to SMT hax works. It happens.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: May 16, 2009, 04:04:20 AM »
FM4: Just beat the Dock fight.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Taishyr

« Reply #2379 on: May 16, 2009, 04:53:46 AM »
P4: Beat up Mr. FAAAAAAABULOUS. Poor guy. Now I get to actually do Social Links~ Thinking Strength since that boosts Diligence? Might as well buff stats while raising up links for later links or actions~

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: May 16, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »
Twink Challenge:

Levelled up Squall to 13 while getting necessary abilities. His stats are now GG FF8 Disc 3. I want to get Meteors and Ultimas, but that will take a bit of work. All GFs available up to this point gotten. Mm..so far, most important GF is by far Queztacolt. You really want Card Mod in order to insert the broken into the twink, since otherwise, you can't do much. After Queztacolt, Ifrit is the next most important thanks to that Strength junction and an early Strength +60%. After that, its a bit of a mixed bag. I almost always use Queztacolt unless its a boss (since lol Card there and Quezt is missing the key strength junction to make the twink work). In which case, I might throw in Shiva so I can junction on Defensive stats. Siren is good if I need some status options although on the whole, its the LVP GF I think? L Mag Refine is damn nice for Regens and Curagas, but Quakes have the same effect as Regens to HP. And I certainly won't die right if I don't have a good Spirit junction. Diablos has Time Mag Refine and the earliest Ability x3 Candidate. This makes him non LVP. Brothers really only have HP and is the other potential LVP. But we'll see. Carbuncle I can tell right now won't as he has Status Defensex2, Counter, HP/Vit junctions and Vit+X%s. All of which are awesome if you cannot tell. Well..at least until Cerberus is available I guess, but that's nearly an entire disc away.

Squall's End of Disc 1 stats!:

Abilities: Attack/Renzokuken (as per restriction)

HP: 3300 (Regen to HP)
Strength: 168 (Punishment + 100 Triples + Strength +60% from Ifrit)
Vitality: 128 (100 Meltdowns + Vit+40% from Shiva)
Magic: Doesn't matter but, 50 (100 Quakes)
Spirit: 76 (100 Curagas)

Elem Atk: 80% Wind (100 Aeros)
Elem Def: 100% Absorb Wind (100 Tornadoes)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:40:24 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: May 16, 2009, 07:00:05 AM »
P4 beat, clocking in at just under 70 hours. I didn't like it as my crazy fast speed through the game (about 2 weeks) might suggest.

Combat and everything surrounding it was good fun. The fights were reasonably challenging with some, but not overwhelming, bullshit, and the revival of SMTN's fusion system with a couple added bells and whistles is something I was all over.

The gameplay in between the dungeons... bleh. Tying the building of close relationships directly to your power level is an idea that needs the cast to be really likable in order to really work. Now P4's cast wasn't bad, and it had a couple of people I liked a lot (Rise and Teddie, annoying repetitive quips in battle aside), but a cast that's merely decent isn't enough to make an idea such as social links good in practice. It would have to be BG2 quality or something. P4's cast is not that. So... I often found myself vacantly clicking through convos and moving around the map while multitasking (chatting, doing schoolwork, etc.), thus explaining why I got through the game so fast: I was so often in hurry to get to the parts I really liked.

The plot and its storytelling were well above average for a video game. That doesn't earn too many points with me, though, and they're pretty much canceled by the villain cast being pretty ass.

I give it a 7/10. Some really good, juicy bits with too much mediocre filler in between. The game never felt outright bad in places, but kind of average and boring through a lot of it.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: May 16, 2009, 06:18:22 PM »
VP CotP - B ending get.  Fun game, but I think I'll hold off on giving it an arbitrary rating until I get the other two endings.

Idun

« Reply #2383 on: May 17, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
I'm wondering if I am going to meet any cool characters in DDS. Otherwise, the only entertaining person is Heat, whom I believe may one day betray us Embryon.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
Ys: The Arc of Naphitsm

It's got the makings of a decent adventure game. Fun enough.

Except for the BLOODY 20 SECOND LOAD TIMES BETWEEN BLOODY SCREENS.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:02 PM »
PSP version, I presume?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 17, 2009, 08:07:31 PM »
I'm wondering if I am going to meet any cool characters in DDS. Otherwise, the only entertaining person is Heat, whom I believe may one day betray us Embryon.

Whoa, hey now! Either you're missin' someone out dere, or you ain't met Cielo yet. Dere ain't nuddin' dat can beat Cielo for entertainin', ya?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »
DDS1 Cielo is anything but entertaining, he's just a stereotype for the sake of being a stereotype.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: May 17, 2009, 08:57:04 PM »
Aww, that sucks. ;( DDS2 Cielo is an entertaining stereotype, but still has awesome character moments. :(

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: May 17, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
DDS1 Cielo has...the accent and absolutely nothing else.  He really is just there.

DDS2 Cielo has at least some qualities.  His big scene right before the final dungeon gives him ham points, for example.  Though, I felt the "Strength isn't the only way to be strong!" scene would have been more...profound? if anybody BUT him said it; its hard to take that scene seriously <_<

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »
Yeah, true. XD Although the bit before Abaddon where he's getting pissed off but Gale's doing all the talking is pretty awesome for his character. =P

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
Wait what DDS1 Cielo had LINES?

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:18 AM »
Yes, he had "Hello I am Jamacian now" and "Yep, still Jamacian"
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: May 18, 2009, 12:11:14 AM »
Yes, he had "Hello I am Jamacian now" and "Yep, still Jamacian"

You forgot "Right by the beach, BOY!"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 18, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »
OG2 - Beat this! 35 masteries. Frue final I found substantially easier than the previous form. Less durable, less accurate, and I had a much easier time gaining Will due to the fact that the grunts had 5-12k HP instead of 120k. And no Alfimi to beat up first also helped. Strange design choice there.

Overall, the game improved on OG1 in most meaningful ways. Plot was ridiculously awful but increasingly the game designers seemed aware of this, what with the fourth wall breaking and whatnot. Favourite characters were Archibald, Lee, Vigagi, and Axel, because they are ridiculously over the top and silly as far as villains go. Favourite moment of the game was either Lee/Katina interaction or the immensely silly scene in Chapter 36 Earth which I already documented. <_<

Still don't think it's a good enough parody to actually get any sort of points for this, but I guess it could be worse. Unfortunately, parody or not, there's just plain TOO MUCH plot, with no sceneskip to go with it. I never really figured out what the hell the point was of giving oodles of plot to various political factions who never really were at all important to the main plot. Eh, whatevs.

Gameplay is of course what this is all about, and it's still pretty cool. OG1 had a decent enough base, and while OG2 didn't address one of my main concerns with it (GIVE ME MY DAMAGE PROJECTIONS) it did at least up the challenge a -lot-. While occasionally the challenge was of the poorly-conceived cheesy variety (ninja reinforcements and suddenly changing battle objectives suck) generally it was cool, fighting much better enemies. Quite a few of the boss fights were suitably epic, even if they generally just boiled down to some variation of Alert spam.

Music is excellent pretty much throughout. Battle themes are great, actually having boss themes is great, map themes were much better this time, too.

7/10 area probably, think it does miss the cut for 8's which are getting into elite RPG territory for me, OG2 is pretty clearly not quite in that territory.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2395 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:31 AM »
On DDS - I found Heat to be the least developed outside of his trope, honestly. At least Cielo gets some decent scenes where he's a good foil for Gale.

On that note, pay attention to Gale, he developes pretty well.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 18, 2009, 04:14:48 AM »
Cielo has about one worthwhile scene in DDS1, criticizing Argilla's impersonation of Sera.

On DDS - I found Heat to be the least developed outside of his trope, honestly.

Oh, but he does it so very well.  He also steals every scene he's in in 2.

***SLIGHT SPOILERS***

When you fight him as a boss, Sera pleads for him to let her pass so she can talk to God.  To this he responds, in note-perfect inflection that conveys a mixture of aggression and longing, "Talk to me!"  I always thought that scene was just about perfect, minus Sera's voice.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:16:30 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 18, 2009, 05:19:58 AM »
Platinum:  done with most of the aftergame.

Anyone have opinions on final move for this Hariyama I'm making for National Championships?

Brave nature (+atk, -spd)

Fake Out
Bullet Punch
Ice Punch
???

This guy is basically to counter Trick Room teams.  He rapes Smeargle/Shuckle with priority moves, and if Trick Room actually does go off he's damned fast.

I'm basically choosing between Close Combat (180 power, but likely to get me killed before next action), Revenge (180 power when taking damage, but has negative priority - that's fine for normal situations, bad for Trick Room), or Vital Throw (105 power, doesn't miss, also negative priority).  I haven't seen a lot of evasion whoring in the competition writeups so far, so Vital Throw can probably be thrown out.

==============
PWI:  We had a Turf War tonight!  We lasted 7 minutes against Nefarious.  My first attack was a critical that did a whopping 667 damage.  Then I fought a cleric and was doing 50 damage per hit.  Nef is too damned powerful, even Legendary can't match them anymore.   :(

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 18, 2009, 05:30:31 AM »
Persona 4- Just got Naoto. Had a couple of resets in the duengon, but nothing major. It got much easier when I remembered to try statusing out the physical limmune randoms.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »
FM4: Just got 2 more PCs on Darill's Team! Then we have plot! Then its back to Elsa...after doing random customization with Darill's squad and shit...

Fought 2 Sim battles, which both took forever due to Map Size and # of enemies.  Also determined that Pegasus feet suck cause they apparently have 0 HEIGHT TOLERANCE.  This made Latona almost completely worthless in that first sim fight.  Not making the same mistake again <_<

Game's not bad, just...a bit too slow for my tastes?  It'd be nicer if fights weren't so large scale.