Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 677206 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2550 on: May 28, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
Poor Selvaria. What a tool.

Mostly seconding the latter part here. It's hard for me to sympathize with someone who knows they're being exploited and goes along with the plan anyway. VC villain cast is a bunch of lunkheads, really.

Also, Meeple: I don't see any Wagner motivation hype in that post. I'm disappointed.

~

Bioshock: So, I replayed this on hard mode. It's not that much more difficult than normal, really. Enemies do more damage, which is a problem around Neptune's Bounty since Big Daddies can one-shot you from close to full health, but the game still folds like a lawn chair once your offense picks up. Made sure to get all the melee-oriented tonics this time around so I could at least break the game in a different way. Uber-wrench build is pretty scary. Also encountered an enemy I didn't see before: plaster spider slicers. Do these freaks show up on normal too? I never saw any on my first run, but there were also some rooms I didn't enter in Fort Frolic. Have to say, it was a shock when one of Cohen's "sculptures" lurched into action right next to me and attacked.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: May 28, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
TF2: Good playing with some of y'all the other night. Yakumo, thanks for the heals.

SC4: Picked this up again after a while, stressed out from bar study and looking to take a break. I proceed to lose 14 straight online matches to a varying mix of Algol players and online-only frametrappery that gets me so angry I bit my own lip in frustration. Iiiiii think I'm done with this for now.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: May 28, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »
VC- Up to Chapter 17. Probably gonna do Selvaria's DLC now so I can get her kickass gun for the last two chapters.

I'm surprised how much distilled genericness this game can constantly pull out. I guess everything went into the battle system and the visual aesthetic. I mean, just slipping in a few extra scenes for a few characters would help some, so would relying on less tired cliches, and even if you don't want to change things you can get away with a lot of what the plot does with better dialogue, but... wow. It's really starting to drag the game down.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: May 28, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
The best VC villian was likely the one who ran the freaking concentration camp. God did the game suck at writing enemies.

Jager is nearly as offensive as Maximillian, but that's more due to me absolutely hating how the game wrote him. So much wasted potential.

Trying to muddle through SO3. I'm up to some copper mines.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: May 28, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Those are just in Fort Frolic if I recall El Cid.

WoW - We finally got Vezax down, went easy enough actually.  Mimiron we had a super sloppy one shot as well.  Honestly surprised at how well we did on the bosses.  Trash was sloppy as fuck and I am really disappointed to run into that kind of shit after being out of it for a week being capped. 

People riding the tram away before everyone is on it on the way to Mimiron and then killing each other on frogger got really old really fast.  Especially when someone says we can summon the people left behind from the other end.  Yeah that works when my warlock is one of the ones left behind.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
Those are just in Fort Frolic if I recall El Cid.

Yeah, I just hadn't seen them at all on my Normal run so was wondering if they were only added in on higher difficulties or if I'd just missed them somehow the first time. Sounds like the latter.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: May 29, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »
Also, Meeple: I don't see any Wagner motivation hype in that post. I'm disappointed.

It speaks for itself, that's why.  It needs not repeating, as anyone whose played the game knows it and uh, its more interesting NOT knowing it for those who haven't played, that it just doesn't deserve to be spoiler warninged!

(no, I have no clue what I'm saying.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2557 on: May 29, 2009, 02:28:02 AM »
Lunar DS:

No, I don't know what drove me to start playing this. And I don't know why I'm -still- playing it.

The game design is very... at the nicest... counter-intuitive. After a few 2-hour car rides where I didn't have anything better to do than play this, I started to get used to some of the 'unique' systems.

The game has 2 modes for fighting - 'Get Items' mode and 'Get EXP' mode. These are the only rewards you get for battling each mode (meaning, no money, no weapons, just items or EXP). At first, this seems to make battling feel really pointless and unrewarding, but due to some -other- systems in place, it balances the game pretty well. This doesn't save the game from being crap, but it isn't as horrible as I first expected.

The monsters level up with the main character a la FF8, so it makes speed-running the game a lot more possible (and actually... kind of fun). You end up spending more times in 'Get Items' mode just so that you get enough items to do Courier quests (the only profitable way to make money in this game) so that you can buy better weapons. And generally, you can just avoid all fights except for bosses and a few randoms here or there to up your MP to use your skills more than twice.

The Courier quests, too, while annoying at first, end up being easy to exploit and are far more efficient for getting money than random battles, so another good balancing point.

However, combat sucks. Lunar DS really goes out of its way to punish you for fighting. It's really easy to die to randoms throughout the entire games and there's not much reward for beating them more than once per enemy type (to get its unique battle item).

In a way, Lunar DS resembles a more... hmm... realistic look at living in a fantasy world. Monsters don't carry money. You need a JOB. Fighting monsters is dangerous business and never gets any easier and why-oh-why do you fight things that you don't have to?

Of course, then there's the fact that you Can. Not. Choose. Your. Target. Enemies.

This makes randoms even more dangerous as you end up wasting characters' turns by mis-aiming damage. It's a really unforgivable design decision since you can't even powerlevel around it. It also makes less dangerous fights even more dull and uninteractive.

Characters' skillsets are pretty bland too. Jian can attack, use an item, or cast one of 4 elemental spells (that all do the same damage no matter what because it seems LDS doesn't actually have an elemental system... >.>;; ) . The two beastmen characters can either attack ST or MT, or use an item. And the healers are the only ones with anything resembling a skillset, and they are carbon copies of each other.

Also, battle speed. WAY too slow for a battle system this brain-dead.

Despite all that, the game is incredibly short, so it's bearable. I definitely get a sense that the way I'm playing the game is exploiting everything it has to offer and speeding through it and making lots of 'Progress', so it has its fun moments as a time-waster.

Plot/dialogue/characters/world-building are all pretty 'ugh'. Though it has its moments of not-ugh and merely 'meh'. I did appreciate the fact that the main character at least has something approaching a personality this time around, even it is a pretty generic 'headstrong, battle-minded, hero-type'. At least he talks. And occasionally the characters sound like human beings when they talk to eachother.

There's not much I can say that's good about the game. Even if you're a huge fan of Lunar1 and 2, there's not a lot offered here in terms of expanding on the previous games... even though it's prequel. It explains a little more about Althena and the Vile Tribe and that's all. Also, EVULZ Dragonmaster LOLz!

That said... it does translate to the DL well.

Jian - Heavy. He hogs all the damage and speed and (plot-typed) elemental options. Has status-inducing weapons.
Gabryel - Middle. Gets decent speed/durability/damage. Perfectly average, really. Her best weapon has some status attached.
Flora - Light. Frail healer with no resources. She can buff her attack for some decent damage and her defense buff is decent too. Her best weapon has some status attached. She can also hit flying enemies with her bow! Awesome.
Lucia: See Flora, but her final weapon halves MP costs instead.
Rufus: Temp version of Gabryel.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:53 AM »
S3 - Chris 3, Chisha Village. Man, it's sorta jarring to watch the sheer drop in offense that not having Hugo and Double-Strike Emily causes. Enemies actually get turns now!
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: May 29, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »
Lunar DS

What's really fun is that the bosses don't appear to be immune to poison or stat breaks from the card casting.  Makes the game go by far faster than it probably should.

Oh yeah.

SH3:  Envious Jealousy beaten!  It was actually easier once I realized that this was a fight were you get punished for using magic (since it slows you down way too much).  Didn't like having to use up stock to bring down its stock, but...  Eh, sacrifices had to be made somewhere.  Then I just turned around and used a crap-ton of magic on it.  Finished it off before it got a chance to use Spirit Ward with Sun Flare -> Rapid Shot/Soul Valet -> Bright Decide (Johnny) -> Air Crest (Ricardo).  The reason for Air crest was...  Well, it had Hilda, so it was Earth-elemental.  Took me only two resets after I figured out that physicals = good in that fight.

Oh yeah, for those that ask, even one character death is grounds for me saying it's good for a reset...  The only three I accept is the one I got fighting the Octopus Sushi, and the two I got fighting the Golden Tinny.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:59:27 PM by Magic Fanatic »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: May 30, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
Devil Summoner 2:  Devil Mara's three innate skills are Mad Rush, Cursed Emission, and State of Bliss.  Wow...
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: May 30, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
S3 - Holy shit was Ayame always this badass?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: May 31, 2009, 02:06:54 AM »
VC: Chapter 12.

Gregor wishes he was Elc. "INVINCCCCIIIBBLLLEEEE!"

End of chapter 11 featured much ;_; Plot in general is decent enough, with good presentation. Gameplay is starting to break down before Orders. Why use Lancers to take down tanks when you can just expend 2 CP and make a Sniper or Shocktrooper an anti-tank boomstick for the rest of the turn? Scouts especially are awesome for this, since they get very very far very very fast.

Anyways. Game is good, but I dunno if it can keep momentum for however many chapters are left.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: May 31, 2009, 02:51:41 AM »
Bioshock:  Suiting up as a Big Daddy, about to take on the final boss soon I suppose.

Mostly saw the twist coming, though not the details.  Cute.  Ultimately I'm pretty done with the game.  It was good but not great and didn't come close to living up to the hype, unless something amazing happens between now and beating it.  Will go into more detail at the end, but suffice it to say all of the really noteworthy aspects of the gameplay ended up not mattering, the atmosphere was amazing, the plot is still mediocre at best, and the suspense really dropped off at the end where you have basically infinite resources and don't have to worry about EVE, ADAM, or ammo.

Really I had more fun with Assassin's Creed than I have been having with this. 

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: May 31, 2009, 03:14:22 AM »
MK- I finished C11, got Muppy's final CQ. I think I am enjoying the game more now that I don't feel obligated to do all the CQs as well as jobs. The story has taken an interesting turn - it actually has a plot now! After finding out about why Isolde did what she did, I have less respect for her. Why can't she be doing what she did to help the world, not because she is in luv? Ugh. Anyway, battle system is really about the same as it has been for a few chapters, except now we have D and A Supports. Those make the battles more interesting. I do enjoy the skill system; it's frustrating if you don't keep up, but it feels like it is not hard to keep up as well as that I feel like having a requirement for progression is pretty neat.

I've gotten all the final weapons and Vayne has 97%, he just needs 6000 AP to get 100%. Dunno if that matters though. >_>
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: May 31, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »
S3 - Man, Killer Runes are good in this game.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: May 31, 2009, 04:22:49 AM »
TacticsLayer: Wow, this game. First we have the main character who doesn't fight because of strange contrived plot device where the only way to beat monsters is to cosplay and beat things into submission with random weapons. Second his mother is hot. Third the typical "love interest" of the main character (who DOES fight!) is part of some group of "space sisters" and can travel to a completely different world. Called Litinagard or something.

Anyway, the crazy thing is.

NinjaStudios what the hell why is the measure of strength in this game how over-the-top/fan-servicey your costume is!!!!!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: May 31, 2009, 05:46:27 AM »
NinjaStudios what the hell why is the measure of strength in this game how over-the-top/fan-servicey your costume is!!!!!

Clearly they're targetting the game at K-On fanboys.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: May 31, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »
Pyro: Yeah, VC's good but I couldn't keep a drive going even past chapter 5.  It just kinda drags I guess.

Ciato: Completing Grow Book doesn't get you anything beyond the actual stats/skills you get from the nodes, so you're not really missing much if you skip the rest.

Cross Edge - Started this on Hard mode.  Pretty interesting game so far.  Battle system is... I guess it's like VP if only one person could attack at a time, but you can freely switch between people after each attack (which is why it differs from SRWOG:EF, though it's probably more similar to that but I assume less people have played it).  You're limited by how much AP you have, and you can store up to twice the base, which leads to some fun combos (though it gives the enemies a chance to hurt you first).  It's actually pretty fun so far.

As for twinking options, there's a whole freaking lot.  You can synth things from materials, then you can upgrade your weapons/armor and then you can attach other items onto the weapons/armor, leading to a large number of ways to buff up your equipment.  And if you upgrade your equipment to the max level, you can turn it into a different item, so upgrading early weapons won't be a waste once they get outclassed, since you can get useful items from them.

I haven't got really far though.  Boss Prinny is kicking my ass.  Pulled out the mighty 3x overkill on turn 2, which is after the support already decimated my team anyway.  Working on synthing some new equips and upgrading them.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: May 31, 2009, 06:31:40 AM »
F-Zero GX - Conquered Master Mode, which unlocked a new, super sekret cup. Nothing new challenge-wise, but the track design here is pretty cool. Plus another Aeropolis level means another chance to hear one of the only good pieces of music in the game!

Grand Prix ended up easier than in X by a decent ways (tracks were tougher, but enemies weren't as badass, and also tended to take more turns coming first so it was easier to be overall 1st even with, like, a 20th place showing somewhere in the GP) buut Story Mode makes up for that and then some. Currently banging my head against the wall that is Hard Mode's Chapter 7. This was the hardest story mode chapter on Normal and Hard has given it quite an upgrade. Black Shadow feels nearly broken if he doesn't die (he's tough to kill, though I have managed it, and sometimes he'll die without my help) and other than that it is just a massively brutal GP race.

I've looked at Very Hard Story Mode, though haven't really sat down and made a real point of trying to beat any chapters. It just seems insane. Chapter 5 in 40 seconds? oh god the pain make it end. I don't even want to think about Chapter 7.

Apparently this is how you unlock like 10 more pilots or something.

The game has grown on me as time goes on. I'm less sure I think X is better, now. X still wins music obviously and I generally preferred the game being less about tracks killing you, but GX probably wins course design otherwise, and Story Mode is a neat addition even if it just seems to exist to cause pain.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: May 31, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
VC- Selvaria DLC beaten, up to the final chapter, before the first battle. Rosie with the Ruhm is uber. Borg is laughable. Moreso than maybe any of the characters so far. Selvaria's missions endeared me more to her character, maybe saved her. Not sure yet. Maximillian is a fool, and there's sort of a plothole involving the Vol-whatever lance... oh well.

For once, I liked a plot twist the game threw at you (Cordelia).

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: May 31, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
FEDS- Up to chapter 20x.

Currently have 15 units, so the guy I get this chapter is going to push me into too-many territory. Fortunately I have a generic hanger-on with me currently so I don't need to go to any great lengths to rectify this.

Khadein was pretty funny with Lena almost fully punking out Gharnef; he had a 50% chance to hit her for only one damage. Good times. As far as I remember Gharnef didn't move in FE1, though, so that he did here kind of voided my expectations. On the whole it was better for me anyway as Lena is pretty much the only unit I had that could survive against him and she couldn't warp herself over there. Also thought I remembered it taking him considerably more turns to warp out in FE1.

Also found out here that talismans have been horribly nerfed down to only +2 resistance instead of +7. Bah at that.

Something that is really getting on my goat is the unit list. FE4, you set the unit list up to order by unit level and it will appropriately suborder the list by experience. FEGBA, they change it so that it just orders by level with no useful arbitration for sorting within levels. I can't remember what they do in FE9/10, but here they take the FEGBA style and then change the list back to nigh-useless name ordering whenever you leave it, so you need to reorder the list then figure out which is actually the least experienced unit for every single move you make. Tsk. It doesn't help that they also scrubbed the much more sensible levelling system after FE4 and went back to 20/20, so you have high-class units mixed in with your low-class units on ordering by level and it's completely user-unfriendly.
FE seriously needs to look into stealing TRS's levelling style and associated mechanics.

Currently Lena is still my only high-class unit that was originally low-class. It's crazy. Have a unit on 19 and several on 18 so this should be changing in relatively short order.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: May 31, 2009, 11:13:50 AM »
KH358/2- I highly disapprove this game!! Seriously, Mansex can't even use Spark Shot, and Marluxia doesn't have Blossom Shower, Roxas have no Key Blade Release... god, what' the meaning of playing as Orgy 13 when you don't have any of the good stuff?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: May 31, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »
Wait, no trademark attacks for Orgy members wut? That sucks. :/

FE: PoR: Playing Hard Mode for the first time ever, not using any resets at all. This is for a podcast I've started recording, so hopefully I'll get a few RAGE moments where I get RNG-screwed or lose a character I like through sheer bad luck (and then refuse to reset because those were the stips I set myself.)

Edit: Forgot to mention, Mia died on the stage she appeared. w00t. At least everyone else is still alive, but now I'm on that evil defence stage. (The one where you get Ilyana - Day Breaks or something? Ch8)

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: May 31, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »
KH358/2- I highly disapprove this game!! Seriously, Mansex can't even use Spark Shot, and Marluxia doesn't have Blossom Shower, Roxas have no Key Blade Release... god, what' the meaning of playing as Orgy 13 when you don't have any of the good stuff?

I knew it.

Fuck Kingdom Hearts 358/2.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.