Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676610 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
Look around for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete somewhere VSM, pick the whole thing up again for pretty cheap( $10AUS is what I payed if I recall correctly).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
Final Fantasy Legend II : Because I'm a new SaGa fan who is trying to retro-actively enjoy the series long past its prime. Surprisingly, SaGa 2 has a lot of the elements from SaGa Frontier I really enjoyed. The race-based growth systems are still fun to play with and stat increases happen regularly enough that the random factor doesn't bother me at all. I think I like Mutants better than Mystics in terms of how they develop.

Story is... surprisingly good for a Gameboy game. This doesn't make it actually 'good', but just... there's more quality here than I would have ever dreamed. It's a nice surprise. After reading up a bit on SaGa 1's story, I think the two games could make a pretty decent story, even if the whole "Your ultimate goal is to kill GOD!" is a bit melodramatic and seemingly intentionally-controversial for the sake of being controversial (not that anyone in America would ever take enough notice of the game to start a controversy over it). It's also almost cliche at this point, though SaGa 2 is a bit more in-your-face obvious about that this is supposed to be the Christian God you're killing (SMT 2 did this as well, I think?) than most games that are anti-religion/Christianity.

Also, I LOLed at Apollyon being translated as Apollo.

The myriad-mini-world setup from SaGa Frontier is back (or rather, originated here... or rather, in SaGa 1) and that makes me happy. That's one of my favorite setting tropes and SaGa Frontier did it pretty well. SaGa 1 and 2... utilized it. Not particularly well, but nothing in SaGa games is polished so it kind of goes without saying.

Anyway, here's hoping the DS remake will become the first polished SaGa game and the world will be revolutionized!

Mr. S is cool. Isis NR-hype goes here.

-Djinn

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »
Look around for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete somewhere VSM, pick the whole thing up again for pretty cheap( $10AUS is what I payed if I recall correctly).

This.

And once you've got it, get the Wake of Gods fan expansion.  It has its ups and downs, but it's completely modular so you can use as much or as little as you like.  A different design team is the WoG scripting language for a new fan expansion, Horn of the Abyss, which is due in February and looks even better.  (New towns!)
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Taishyr

« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Oh, hey, they're doing a second fan expansion using it? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

(Yes, I'm a WoG player as well. >_> Mainly since it doubles as a No-CD patch, but!)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »
SWR3:

Just finished map 18. The Zeta and Double Zeta Gundams own. I have Char as well now! Though his mech is not that great. Money is a hard thing to come by in this game. That said, I don't have the funds to properly upgrade most of my mechs. And with the fact that it looks like some mechs come and go, I am also weary of throwing in money to a unit that might eventually leave the team.

Most of my money has been poured into Zeta as I would hope it stays with me till the end.

...still waiting on a mech that Amuro can ride in and own in. He is currently in something called the Dijeh SE-R and it's fine, but it isn't tearing anything up per say.

The Getta and Mazinger units are still some of the better Super Robots I have collected. I have tons of others, but they all seem so generic it's hard to focus on any one of them.

Ah well. Onto the next stage!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »

This.

And once you've got it, get the Wake of Gods fan expansion.  It has its ups and downs, but it's completely modular so you can use as much or as little as you like.  A different design team is the WoG scripting language for a new fan expansion, Horn of the Abyss, which is due in February and looks even better.  (New towns!)

Ok, awesome. Fan content that's actually well-thought-out is generally a really good thing, and really, what I loved about the heroes franchise was.... ......well, lots of things. Hordes of heroes with ridiculous abilities, tons of exotic and pretty creatures killing each other.... ...good times.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »

This.

Ok, awesome. Fan content that's actually well-thought-out is generally a really good thing, and really, what I loved about the heroes franchise was.... ......well, lots of things. Hordes of heroes with ridiculous abilities, tons of exotic and pretty creatures killing each other.... ...good times.

My favorite part? Hotseat. Just saying.

Taishyr

« Reply #282 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »
Some of it isn't well thought out, in fairness.

But the complete modularity means you can use whatever the hell you want from it, which is bloody awesome.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 19, 2009, 11:11:41 PM »
TotA - I'm just dicking around in the lategame sidequests. The more time I can buy before ANISE BACKSTORY hits me, the better. Also, the cameo arena battle was one hell of a fight. Very fun and brutal, although I was below endgame levels and did it rather sloppily, since I wasn't expecting it. It did become non-insane when I realized I could use items, buuuuut. Still depleted me of Life Bottles. Oh well, got it at the first try, and that's all that matters.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
VC- In spite of my fairly longish post complaining about hte game, I'm still playing it and having a ton of fun. Just cleared mission 11 (Marberry shore) in three turns. I did not expect *that* type of plot twist, I'll say that much.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »
I just picked up Mirror's Edge and MGS4 from Blockbuster for the week. Really enjoying Mirrors Edge so far. Kinda trips you out when you think "That's what it would look like from my eyes if I tried to do that crazy Parkour stuff"

I'm a huge fan of the MGS series but so far, after the first act, the game seems really different. The non-overhead view already is throwing me for a loop, along with the rehashed controls. "What do you MEAN circle isn't the 'ok' button in this game?!?!"  The gameplay is just so... strange to me. It's so hard to get around without being spotted (which is fine by me, seems more realistic) but at the same time being able to plow through an entire platoon of heavily armoured soldiers with just my P90 SMG and a pistol without breaking a sweat??! While I'm playing through the game for my first time???! Even when I'm on hard mode cause I'm a cocky bastard????!!!!! It just doesn't seem quite like MGS to me :(

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 20, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »
Persona 4 is finally beaten with a final clock in the area of 95 hours.

Now its time to rant. **SPOILERS** ahead and such. I'm just gonna do this in the old fashioned categorical matter for the sake of simplicity.

Graphics: Despite being spoiled recently by the shininess of a PS3 and an HDTV, I've got to say, Persona 4 still looks good. For the most part, the graphics are pretty much identical to P3, with the odd improvement here or there. The biggest improvements were in the areas of dungeon design and general artistic direction.

To put it as simply as possible, TV World was a lot more attractive and interesting than Tartarus. The more cohesive and logical designs (rather than just weird shapes and colors) was significantly more appealing and held my attention a bit better. It was a little thing, but the change from castle to bathhouse to underground research lab was just more interesting.

Taking it a bit further, on the whole, P4 just seemed to have a more organized artistic scheme. The use of color, the menus, the battle screens, etc was both more attractive than P3 (which, at least in my recollection, was a little more muted and dull) and just worked better together.

P4 did take a serious hit in the animation department though. While the early stuff was pretty solid, it seems that the animation budget dried up by the end of the game, with the ending being particularly guilty of several lazy animation tricks and a general decrease in the basic quality of the artwork. It was really disappointing, given the early stuff was so good looking, as was a lot of the animation in P3.

Character designs stuck to the Persona 3 idea of relatively simple designs that I found surprisingly memorable. Simple and attractive, for the most part. There was the odd miss here or there (Daisuke, Mitsuo, lot of the blushing portraits), but, in return, there was the odd absolute win too (Exposed Adachi). Additional bonus points for Namatame's boss form, which is probably the single most awesome design in the entire game. Love and peace all the way.

Storytelling: Here is one of those categories where Persona 4 had a lot of ups and downs. So let's get the biggest issue out of the way first.

Persona 4's pacing was really, really bad. Like, tremendously so. The biggest flaw, I think, is that the game simply gave you too much time to burn. A lot of the game, as far as general plot progression is concerned, was characterized by "You are waiting for X to recover" or "You are waiting for the killer to make his next move." While this conveniently gave you a lot of time to rescue the kidnapped, build you starts and grind social links, it didn't let the game flow as well as Persona 3 did. In P3, you were always moving forward and pushing on. In P4, the heroes role was primarily reactive role. This is further inhibited by the fact that the fog is, for most of the game, less threatening than Apathy Syndrome and the Dark Hour.

Of course, in return, once things start rolling, they start rolling well. The beginning of the game is still incredibly enjoyable and flows very well, as does each individual kidnapping. Although the middle does, as stated, lag, the end picks up the action again. The kidnapping of Nanako is a huge deal and is very tastefully (and almost incredibly tragically ;_; ) handled, and the push into the truer ending is good and very well done.

All three revelations were, at their worst, acceptable, and, at their best, pretty good. By the point it was revealed, Namatame was my expected villain and did not disappoint. The crazed, desperate and delirious man (with the awesome boss form) was a good enemy and served as an excellent catalyst for the decision to move onto the bad end or the good end. The sudden dark twist of the cast was very well handled, and it served as an intriguing and exciting branching point that really added some realism to the cast as they were faced with the highly emotional choice of how to deal with Namatame.

Unsurprisingly, the bad end was highly disappointing. Not even in a good way. Which is... well, important. The idea is that it should indicate you did something wrong, so the continued existence of the fog and the sad, subdued tone worked very well. I think Dojima's question ("Were you satisfied with everything you did?") was the highlight.

The revelation of Adachi... makes sense, looking back. I will yield, it did surprise me, but it worked well enough. I would have appreciated a little more to it, but Adachi made up for the lake of thorough explanation by being a Grade A Jerk-Ass. He wasn't the most compelling villain ever, but the man made himself easy and enjoyable to hate. Grey villains are fun, but so are people who are such irredeemable jackasses that there is no way to like them. The shift from gentle, slightly dopey cop to highly bitter sociopath was impressive, and was well carried. It could have benefitted from a little bit of expansion, but it functioned.

Ameno Sagiri worked.

The final sequence was very well done and enjoyable, and served to highlight the themes of the game (search for the truth and companionship) very well.

Izanami... mrm. We return to the pacing problem here. Functionally, it worked and wasn't unfair, but it really could have done with some additional expansion. It worked well in isolation, but its hard to avoid the feeling that it was a little tacked again. Still, I can't bring myself to call it bad.

Overall, the story carried itself pretty well. The themes remained core to the story, each individual arc played out fairly enjoyably and, despite taking a long time to get there, the loose ends managed to tie themselves up quite nicely. Adjusting the pacing significantly could have made this into an absolutely amazing story, but, unfortunately, that was not to be.

I think it also bears mention here that this game had an uncanny amount of self-awareness. Ash and I constantly found our questions or joking statements being immediately answered or reciprocated by the game, to the point where it became absolutely uncanny the way we would make a smart-ass remark or an incredulous question, only to have to game act like it was reading our minds. Seriously, you can ask Ash. It was creepy >_>

Atmosphere: Excellent. While it worked acceptably for Persona 3, I feel the approach taken by 4, where the TV World and the persona stuff was really strange and met with appropriate incredulity, is inherently a bit better. It is just... harder to swallow the existence of SEES given that it was presented as a group that already existed. The extraordinary became ordinary a little too quickly.

Here, the initial trouble with coming to grips with the strangeness of the situation served as a right hoot at the beginning (the initial exploration of the TV, getting arrested with weapons, etc) was maintained fairly regularly, and the game benefitted quite a bit from it. There was the occasional disconnect (just SHOW Dojima the TV thing, guys), but those were fairly far and few between.

This moves a little more into personal taste, but I also felt this allowed the idea of the personal life and the life of heroes to mesh better. The characters started out as normal folks and, as a result, it made more sense that school and their personal lives were so important. They were teens to start with. Not super heroes, not brave warriors. They were just some dudes who happened to have this happen to them.

Characters: Another solid improvement over Persona 3. Although the same archetypes were hanging around (you can draw several fairly close correlations between the two casts), they felt a lot better developed and less one-note than the Persona 3 cast. I think a lot of this stemmed from the fact that the P4 cast simply had more time and more chances to develop. The growth of the group as a whole served to help the individual development of the characters a lot more. Add in that the entire cast got social links to develop off of, and you can see why the P4 cast is leaps and bounds above the P3 cast. I'll do a complete character thing in a future post, because man, I'd like to finish this for a bit.

Gameplay: Another area where P4 distinctly improved. The addition of complete party control is about the best thing ever. Period.

Beyond that, combat was far less irritating. Generally speaking, fights were significantly more challenging in that they required you to think, deal with boss patterns and occasionally even plan ahead, while, for the most part, I managed to just muscle through the majority P3. Random groups were much more synergistic and bosses had solid attack arrays and patterns that required you actually address what they were doing. The final three bosses were a bit disappointing compared to Nyx for the relative ease with which I beat them, but hey, you can't have everything. The fact that I was struggling to beat bosses and having close fights for most of the game (partly a symptom of my low levels, but hey, it simply enhanced the experience) was quite gratifying.

It was also a wonderous surprise to find that the game relied far less on cheese for both sides. First and foremost, the implementation of allies taking attacks for the main was a good idea and solved a lot of the issues with "FUCKING LUCKY CRITS" of "SON OF A BITCH INSTANT DEATH" wiping out the main. Furthermore, the inability for enemies to chain lock the main was good times as well, as that was probably the most frustrating part of P3.

In return, the loss of the ability to do that to enemies made general fights a little harder, as did the fact that the main character was not quite as stupidly overpowered, nor did he always go first.

This, in turn, made the rest of the cast feel a LOT more useful. For most of P3, especially near the end, the other PCs felt like pretty weak groupies. They could occasionally help out, but, for the most part, were weak assistants to the main. In P4, the other PCs often proved incredibly helpful and were pretty formidable in their own rights until the main started getting the really broken Personas.

Money/Equip grinding worked all right, but felt a bit annoying. Due to my tendency to not make multiple TV runs, I was often behind in getting new equipment and, when I did, it was quite expensive. It stands out to me that I think I couldn't buy new girl armor for about 3 or so dungeons.

Stat grinding and social links remained generally good and flowed together pretty well. The part time job dynamic and general interactions just felt more natural and worked well.

Shuffle... I liked less. I found it much harder to track certain cards because of the way they moved intially, and the roulette stood out as particularly obnoxious to me. Arcana chance was fun though.

**END SPOILERS**

And that sums it for this post. I'll add more in a future post where I get more into the nitty gritty of the characters and social links I completed ^_^

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 20, 2009, 01:42:09 AM »
VC- In spite of my fairly longish post complaining about hte game, I'm still playing it and having a ton of fun. Just cleared mission 11 (Marberry shore) in three turns. I did not expect *that* type of plot twist, I'll say that much.

That plot twist raged the fuck out of me. I thought JRPGs had gotten over that kind of shit.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #288 on: January 20, 2009, 03:11:04 AM »

That plot twist raged the fuck out of me. I thought JRPGs had gotten over that kind of shit.

Since it could literally be years before I ever get a chance to play VC, would you mind including what the twist is? Spoiler-tagged for those who are playing of course. I'm really curious about this.

TotA - I'm just dicking around in the lategame sidequests. The more time I can buy before ANISE BACKSTORY hits me, the better.

I'll accept that people don't like Anise. Different people are amused by different things/tropes. But I honestly don't see what's so offensive about her story/backstory. I'm not asking for a rant and I'm not necessarily defending it, I just don't understand the hate and I'd like to be informed on the specifics.

-Djinn

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 20, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
I'll accept that people don't like Anise. Different people are amused by different things/tropes. But I honestly don't see what's so offensive about her story/backstory. I'm not asking for a rant and I'm not necessarily defending it, I just don't understand the hate and I'd like to be informed on the specifics.

I maintain that the real problem with Anise's plot twist is not that it happens.  Broadly speaking, it's fine.  It's just that they don't sell you on the details.  Don't really want to get into the spoilery details, but it'd be fine if the game could just convince you she had less ability to do something about her problem than she appears to.

Think of it like the end of SO3, where Luther tries to erase everything.  It'd be less stupid if Fayt and co. weren't just hanging out across the room yelling "stop," right?  The real problem is that there were no, y'know, falling boulders or force fields preventing the good guys from getting to him.  It's an inoffensive plot point badly actualized.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #290 on: January 20, 2009, 03:28:39 AM »
In addition, the party basically gives Anise a free pass, while earlier in the game Luke is shunned entirely despite having considerably more compelling circumstances (sure, he fucked up, but it's because he was played like a fiddle by the person he trusted the most while the party was snarking at him and his general foppishness.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:44 AM »
Edit: NotMiki covers the idea in broad detail, but I'll go into the specifics since hey, I already wrote this.

BIG OL' SPOILERS!

I'll try and dig up some posts from the WGAYP topic from 2007, since that had some really good summary of why it was so bad (mainly from Shale, I believe). In a nutshell:

-Anise betrays the party for an extremely stupid reason. Oh hey Mohs threatened your parents. Wait, we had how many chances to rescue them throughout the game?
-As a result of Anise's betrayal, Ion, the person she cares for more than anyone in the world, not to mention someone who had done more to further the cause of the PCs than most of the PCs themselves (certainly including Anise) dies. Way to go, genius. Anise never seemed to see this coming despite the fact that clearly it's what Mohs wanted (due to Ion opposing him AND his death being required by the Score, IIRC).
-Despite the fact that she had OVERTLY LIED TO AND ACTED AS A TRAITOR AGAINST the party for pretty much the whole damn game, they forgive her basically instantaneously. This in contrast to how they treat Luke after his far more well-meaning idiocy earlier in the game.

Of course, I already strongly disliked Anise before this, so perhaps this should be taken with a grain of salt, but yeah, it should not be hard to understand why someone would be appalled by this. It painted Anise as simultaneously terribly disloyal and terribly stupid and she barely even suffered for it, like the writers thought it was no big deal.

END OF SPOILERS!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:12 AM »
TotA - Since people have summed up why Anise COMPLETELY FAILS with words so well, I guess that all I can contribute to the discussion is Anise's brain and general worth in a nutshell:

Die in a ditch, Anise. You could have not completely enraged me overall if you weren't such a braindead idiot.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:48 AM »
BIG OL' SPOILERS!

-Anise betrays the party for an extremely stupid reason. Oh hey Mohs threatened your parents. Wait, we had how many chances to rescue them throughout the game?
-As a result of Anise's betrayal, Ion, the person she cares for more than anyone in the world, not to mention someone who had done more to further the cause of the PCs than most of the PCs themselves (certainly including Anise) dies. Way to go, genius. Anise never seemed to see this coming despite the fact that clearly it's what Mohs wanted (due to Ion opposing him AND his death being required by the Score, IIRC).
-Despite the fact that she had OVERTLY LIED TO AND ACTED AS A TRAITOR AGAINST the party for pretty much the whole damn game, they forgive her basically instantaneously. This in contrast to how they treat Luke after his far more well-meaning idiocy earlier in the game.

Of course, I already strongly disliked Anise before this, so perhaps this should be taken with a grain of salt, but yeah, it should not be hard to understand why someone would be appalled by this. It painted Anise as simultaneously terribly disloyal and terribly stupid and she barely even suffered for it, like the writers thought it was no big deal.

END OF SPOILERS!

SPOILERS!

Okay, the fact that she had about a billion chances to do something about Mohs' threats is reasonable. But the complaint about the party instantly forgiving her feels hollow. Of COURSE the party doesn't hold betrayal against her, each of them is dealing with their personal internal betrayal.
Luke feels guilty for having stolen Asch's life and basically feels his whole existance is a sin. Not to mention his being the indirect cause of massive destruction where he was shunned by the whole party. Of course he forgives Anise, he feels like he's been in her position before.
Guy is another direct traitor, he's been plotting to kill Luke's father since the day he befriended him.
Tear is trying to kill her own brother, not to mention she had been tricked by Mohs as well.
Natalia has recently learned she's not really her father's daughter and is a mere replacement. She thinks that by masquerading as a princess, she's at fault.
Jade is directly responsible for creating the technology that's causing pretty much all of the problems in the entire world. And he's sociopathic and probably doesn't care about Anise's past anyway if her battle prowess will help his current goal. He probably thinks that if she betrays them again, he'd just kill her.

Except for possibly Natalia, who is particularly close to Anise anyway, none of them are in a position to be reproachful of Anise. Let's add on the fact that yes, Ion, the person she cared about most strongly, died as a result of her actions... She's really been punished enough at this point for her disloyalty.

And I don't remember the specifics for how Mohs had kept her parents threatened, but presumably if he really wanted to keep Anise under control, they'd have been under constant surveilance by some of his followers and unless Anise was willing to go up against him directly in front of the whole Order, there's not really much she could do? I suppose she could have evacuated her family into another country, but even that's not entirely secure due to the Order's reach in international areas. Basically, this whole scenario kind of shows off why RPG mains tend to be parent-less. Familial obligations are too easy to exploit by the villains.

But, at least now I somewhat understand where the hate is coming from, even if I think the reasons are a bit unfounded.

-Djinn
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:09:05 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »
Okay, the fact that she had about a billion chances to do something about Mohs' threats is reasonable. But the complaint about the party instantly forgiving her feels hollow. Of COURSE the party doesn't hold betrayal against her, each of them is dealing with their personal internal betrayal.

By the point they find Anise fails, all but Tear have mostly worked out their betrayal issues, and Tear herself certainly can put her own confusion behind to bludgeon stupidity with a 2x4 - or, at least, most of the time she does. Plus, when their betrayal gears were at a maximum (Akzeriuth), they were so quick and easy to just lambast the hell out of Luke, weren't they? And now, that they're in a far better position to slap Anise around for being absolutely braindead, they just pick up flowers? Major writing inconsistency there. That justification doesn't fly outside of gleefully accepting the cast, once again, is riding the idiot ball like it was the town bicycle. And I don't think I need to explain why this is incredibly stupid.

And I don't remember the specifics for how Mohs had kept her parents threatened, but presumably if he really wanted to keep Anise under control, they'd have been under constant surveilance by some of his followers and unless Anise was willing to go up against him directly in front of the whole Order, there's not really much she could do? I suppose she could have evacuated her family into another country, but even that's not entirely secure due to the Order's reach in international areas. Basically, this whole scenario kind of shows off why RPG mains tend to be parent-less. Filial obligations are too easy to exploit by the villains.

There were -no specifics- outside of Anise's parents just hanging around gleefully in Daath. If they can leisurely stroll around the town, certainly that surveillance isn't exactly competent. Plus, the party was in multiple situations where they could handle the vigil and rescue her parents. It's like they didn't even bother with an editor's digest for how Mohs kept them hanging. Your justification just makes it even more obvious that the plot just isn't coherent without adding a healthy dose of terminal brain damage to the people involved. And considering how Anise barged with a ragtag bunch into Daath to beat people up more than once, uh, the whole "is Anise willing to do something so direct?" question is rendered moot. It's nice that you're so earnest in defending the whole thing, but there's no nice wording that can hide the crude facts. The entire thing is just entirely braindead, and Anise ends up in the worst possible light due to it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:32:42 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 20, 2009, 04:18:43 AM »
In addition, the party basically gives Anise a free pass, while earlier in the game Luke is shunned entirely despite having considerably more compelling circumstances (sure, he fucked up, but it's because he was played like a fiddle by the person he trusted the most while the party was snarking at him and his general foppishness.)

I thought this was meant to signal a rise in maturity by the rest of the party.  That's how it seemed to me, anyway.  But again, if they had made it convincing that Anise couldn't do a lot about it, then the difference in reaction would have been perfectly understandable.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2009, 04:29:28 AM »
By the point they find Anise fails, all but Tear have mostly worked out their betrayal issues. Plus, when their betrayal gears were at a maximum (Akzeriuth), they were so quick and easy to just lambast the hell out of Luke, weren't they? And now, that they're in a far better position to slap Anise around for being absolutely braindead, they just pick up flowers? Major writing inconsistency there.

It's not inconsistent at all! At the point where Luke fucks up, the rest of the party is mired in betrayal and secrecy. They're angry at seeing their flaws in Luke, in addition to the natural anger at the mistake itself. By the time Anise's betrayal is revealed, they have, as you said, overcome most of these issues and learned to get past this kind of betrayal. I'm mostly referring to Luke, Tear, and Guy; but Natalia and Jade to a certain extent, too.

I thought this was meant to signal a rise in maturity by the rest of the party.  That's how it seemed to me, anyway. But again, if they had made it convincing that Anise couldn't do a lot about it, then the difference in reaction would have been perfectly understandable.

This is a very salient point, though, and I concede that the writing fails to clarify this. Still, I don't think this weak bit of writing really demonizes Anise's character as much as the hate machine seems to think. But, if you already don't like the character/trope, then I can definitely understand how this is a rage-inducing point.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 20, 2009, 04:33:38 AM »
*cough*threadderailment*cough*

My step-brother-in-5-days just got 4000 Wii points and we went on a classic platformer spree. Got Sonic 3., Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Super Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country. Kickass, and hard to decide what to work on first. I forgot how much fun Donkey Kong Country was.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2009, 04:43:41 AM »
It's not inconsistent at all! At the point where Luke fucks up, the rest of the party is mired in betrayal and secrecy. They're angry at seeing their flaws in Luke, in addition to the natural anger at the mistake itself. By the time Anise's betrayal is revealed, they have, as you said, overcome most of these issues and learned to get past this kind of betrayal. I'm mostly referring to Luke, Tear, and Guy; but Natalia and Jade to a certain extent, too.

It is inconsistent when they don't even -note- anything about it. This could've been dealt with a lot less idiotically with paying more attention to details, fleshing out what they say and what they think a little bit more. But then, the worst part isn't even how the party reacted (which was bad on its own. The whole "oh they're more mature" idea miiiiiiiiight fly if the whole thing wasn't egregious from both logical and emotional standpoints. You don't treat betrayal lightly, you just don't, and it's not something that will instantly be forgotten, especially when it has heavy consequences), it's how Anise internally handled it. The writing fails to clarify -why- she thinks it's worth constantly endangering her most beloved friend even when she's in a situation where, for all practical purposes, she could just say bollocks and go with guns blazing to the rescue, killing two birds with one stone. Not to mention that, before that, the game fairly constantly paints Anise as someone who'd be more efficient and resourceful than she shows with the debacle (guess what would be more efficient in this case, considering the circumstances?). The writing failing to clarify the whole issue and not finding plausible ways as to why we shouldn't think Anise is a child of lobotomy with her betrayal is the crux of the matter. They tried to paint her as sympathetic, but they simply gave absolutely no plausible reason to have the audience give that sympathy under any sort of logical scrutiny. It's not the trope. It's the writing. The point lies entirely elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:53:22 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #299 on: January 20, 2009, 05:26:20 AM »
Basically, it kinda boils down like this. The game treats "he was threatening my parents" as a credible threat able to force Anise's hand.  While this works in a vacuum, Anise is at all other points presented as uncommonly skilled and resourceful, far more so than her years imply, which makes the argument ring hollow.  I mean, I think if you had Anise with a personality closer to Natalia's, with a great deal of naivite and shelteredness built in, it would be more effective for example.
Basically, the parent threat is viable but clashes with Anise's established character, so the writers really should have ramped up the threat value.  For example, if her parents had bombs planted in their heads that Mohs could blow at any time, that'd be much more plausible; it's a much more immediate and hard to counter threat and thus would apply a lot more leverage on Anise.  Alternatively, for something less supervillain-y (if much more melodramatic), give Anise a younger sibling who 'vanished' one day; creates a situation in which even a competent character like Anise would be less likely to think straight or take risks.  Granted, there are all those other times you bust into Daath fons blazing, but that can be handwaved as a "Just as planned" on Mohs' part or something.

(For the record, I'm really more or less neutral on Anise.  I just like this discussion ^.^)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.