Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686185 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4075 on: August 14, 2009, 06:31:22 AM »
She sucks... in the long term because she doesn't get a new weapon until the late floors and isn't Freya of the Flying/5 Move/2 Range broken.  In the short term she comes with a free 150 power weapon when you may well be using initial equips >.>
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 14, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »
Not on a first run.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: August 14, 2009, 07:12:40 AM »
Hiding a character's long-term effectiveness behind an unforseeable and arbitrary progression of weapons is apparently VPDS' maingame gameplay suck bleeding into the SG. I'd be bitter but I never had any real intention of playing that far anyway. (The problem could have been fixed easily by giving out-of-battle PCs the same or slightly reduced Exp, but VPDS isn't one for fixing its own problems.)

SotN - Beat the game! Richter was a so-so final boss. I'm near 100% too. Obviously there is nothing left to do in this game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 14, 2009, 09:36:01 AM »
VPDS -  <Fauxnel> A SPRING-AUTUMN ROMANCE WITH A WOMAN SO HIDEOUSLY OLD IS UTTERLY OUT OF QUESTION, I'M AFRAID.

Fauxnel, you coy little bastard.

Anyhow, done SG's first run. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiight bother with further runs, although Gabriel Possessed was worth a chuckle and an overkill. But I'd rather move on to new things instead.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: August 14, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
WoW: For the Alliance!

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: August 14, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Huh. I was using Joe at the beginning of the game, but both the success rate of steal and the kind of stuff I was grabbing (largely Brown Herbs) made it seem not worth it, eventually. But if there's actually a rad Mage/Thief combo, I'd probably use him. Where do I find the dude? And is there any way to improve the success chances on Steal? Do we know what stat it runs off?

Huh. I guess I'll level up Myst and Midian. Yan's magic didn't seem particularly low, but what do I know? I'm also sort of enamoured of using Deke (MAD SCIENTIST JA) and Beau (LAWYER POWER), but I'll level them up and see if it seems worthwhile.

Also, is Jovian really all that good? Seems like a pretty typical slow/inaccurate/low MDef/decently strong tanky type (not quite as severely as Bast), but I think Griever and Derek are better.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: August 14, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »
I know I'm late to the Exit Fate discussion and all, but... Strago, you're using Klaus?  That's... um... wow.  Carson's okay, I guess, but not wonderful.  Armor upgrades are generally laughable considering how much they cost (and if you think things are expensive now, you ain't seen nothing yet).  If you must upgrade weapons, prioritize HIT before anything else, since your fighters are going to be utterly worthless if you neglect that due to how the game calculates accuracy.

Yan's magic stat is actually better than Bobbin's making it out to be.  It's not great compared to Midian and Myst, sure (then again, those two have the best magic stats in the game, so not exactly a fair comparison right there), but he's not the worst of the pure mages in that regard (that would be Ryan).  His real problem is that he's slow.  Myst is pretty awesome but he's slow as well.  Midian is probably your best bet unless you really want a mage with Focus.

The thief/mage is hanging around in Port Jargo, and yeah, he's pretty awesome.  Not sure if you can get there at this point, but bring someone with Steal when you try to recruit him.  You may have to talk to him a couple of times, but again, you need someone with Steal.  As for Steal, I think the only thing that determines its accuracy is the rarity of the steal itself.  I've actually had pretty decent luck with it myself, but YMMV.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 05:05:12 PM by Random Consonant »

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #4082 on: August 14, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
Is Midian particularly slow or something?  It seems like there must have been SOME reason I dropped him from my main party despite always using 2-4 mages.  Maybe it's just that Myst is so good and I wanted a non-Dark caster?

Where Jovian is concerned, it's mostly that he's extremely tanky without sacrificing damage.  IIRC, Derek is extremely vulnerable to magic, whereas Jovian handles it okay, and Jovian's power+speed is better than Derek's.  You'll get the character I used as my second fighter soon, and she's a significantly better damage-dealer (albeit not quite as much of a tank).  Jovian's only real weakness is his HIT; as long as you keep his weapon upgraded for that, he's top tier for a fighter until the very lategame.

Stealing is very much worth it.  Once in a blue moon you can steal equips better than what you can buy - better than what the shops have, I mean, to say nothing of not being able to afford it.  Much more commonly, you can steal items and equips at or near the top purchasable level, which you can either keep or sell to finance spell/weapon upgrades.  Finally, you can STEAL SPELLS.  This is the really important thing, because it's not unusual some very good ones and every spell helps.

Can you buy Haste yet?  It's even more awesome than the damage spells.  All of the buffs seemed worthwhile to me, actually.  The thief-mage is fire typed, so he should be able to Turn 1 Haste himself, steal till his MP is built up, then AoE the enemy and end the battle - and he's sort of chibi-Hyuga in terms of being a speedster who can self-Haste.  Sadly, I don't think you can get through the pass on the island yet, can you?  If not, you can't get him until later.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: August 14, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
Is Midian particularly slow or something?  It seems like there must have been SOME reason I dropped him from my main party despite always using 2-4 mages.  Maybe it's just that Myst is so good and I wanted a non-Dark caster?

He's not fast or anything, but he's not exactly what I'd call slow.  His main problem is he's got utter crap for HP, but that shouldn't be a huge concern unless enemies can somehow physically attack him.  I didn't use him that much, but that was kinda because I forgot to get him early.  >_>

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: August 14, 2009, 10:57:20 PM »
BoF4: YES. ERSHIN. Made of so much freaking win. <3
I'm in the dragon summoning village (I'm not good with BoF4 place names...) as Ershin trying to escape from the Empire General dude. Take out a few soldiers, and the general walks over, saying "You've done a lot of damage to my troops, haven't you?"
Ershin's amazing response? Pulls her cape over her head and looks around. So awesome. XD

Edit: And then I actually finished watching the scene. ;__________;

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: August 14, 2009, 11:18:19 PM »
Ershins are not happy. =|

EDIT: Currently not playing anything! I guess it's time to Pokéymans it up.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »
SotN - Wow Death was a joke, even by this game's standards. The swords obtained in this part of the game made me -finally- stop using the Shield Rod. For now.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
Death, not be a joke? Surely you jest.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4088 on: August 15, 2009, 02:57:47 AM »
Death is a joke no matter what in SotN. He's fallen far from his CV1 incarnation, which I'm pretty sure turned off your NES if he touched you one time.

Anyway, I'm playing The Witcher. Holy fuck, this is a weird sentence, but: Polish people can really make RPGs. This is what I wanted Oblivion to be.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: August 15, 2009, 03:56:52 AM »
Guitar Hero: World Tour-Been playing this off and on the last few weeks. The problem is that my guitar controller randomly decides to stop working. Like, in the middle of a song so I fail out and have to retry again except now I can't even get it to work enough to retry the song oh fuck this let's play TF2 or something instead. And then it works perfectly the next day. Weird.

Anyway got through all the songs on Expert, five-starring the lion's share of them, most of the ones I didn't can be blamed on the faulty guitar since 90% of the songs are piss easy. Also some of them have extremely annoying finger-fucking three note chord fests that make me not want to play them ever again. Making songs that cause my hand to cramp is not the same thing as difficulty, Neversoft!

I was stuck on B.Y.O.B. for a bit until the intro just sort of clicked. Only song where I legitimately failed out a few times besides Satch Boogie. Speaking of which that song is probably not going to happen. The last solo just goes on for too long, even with full starpower it's not happening. It's at least more possible than Jordan, but with a faulty guitar and a lack of any interest in spending time playing the game anymore I think I"ll pass. So, except for the random urges to go and five-star songs I haven't yet I think I'm done.

Not as good as GH3, not even close to GH2. Or hell, GH1 even. You might say that's because I'm playing it solo while World Tour is meant to be a band game, but even if I did have 3 people interested in playing I would not like this game. I might play some of the songs to humor them, but I would flat out refuse to play most of the songs since they suck to play and if someone mentioned the Tool songs I would kill their parents.

Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: August 15, 2009, 05:15:08 AM »
SotN - Wow, Galamoth actually put up a fight. Made me ACTUALLY USE THE SYSTEM a bit, which is to say equipping Shield Rod + Herald Shield for naked girl elemental protection and then switching to the Alucard Sword, repeat. (PS SotN's menu system is too cumbersome. Would it kill the game to keep items separate from hand equipment?) Unfortunately shortly thereafter I got the Alucard Shield. Now nothing puts up a fight, ever.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: August 15, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
Pokémon Platinum - Started this! Now the FABULOUS~ adventures of Ciatoman the Piplup and Elfboy the Starly with a pink ribbon on her head start.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:38:14 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: August 15, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
No Infernape? ;_;

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: August 15, 2009, 05:49:17 PM »
No Infernape? ;_;

I thought for a while about the decision, but then I realized I just wasn't -that- hard on efficiency. Chimchar would have been a better objective choice by far, but my nerd impulses got the best of me when they started chanting "pimp penguin that turns into a MECHA PIMP PENGUIN" and "dude you don't even give a damn about Fire types anyway". Oh well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:54:08 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: August 15, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »
Not as good as GH3, not even close to GH2. Or hell, GH1 even. You might say that's because I'm playing it solo while World Tour is meant to be a band game, but even if I did have 3 people interested in playing I would not like this game. I might play some of the songs to humor them, but I would flat out refuse to play most of the songs since they suck to play and if someone mentioned the Tool songs I would kill their parents.

Indeed, GH:WT has about ten songs I would like, and the rest are garbage.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: August 15, 2009, 11:43:16 PM »
SotN - Beat the game.

Well, I stopped using the Shield Rod/Alucard Shield after about 15 minutes since it was too ridiculous. Unfortunately, for all the remaining fight the half a dozen or so bosses I had left put up, I might as well have just kept on using it. I'm not even sure precisely what was going on in the Dracula battle in terms of his bizarre hit boxes on his attacks, but I mashed square a bunch and he died. Got 189%; the remaining stuff is probably hidden away behind destroyable walls and under water, and I don't care to go hunting for such things, though.

Game loses a bit of steam in the reverse castle, I feel, you're just exploring something you have fundamentally explored before, going through the motions until the map is filled out and cutting down anything in your path. First castle is cooler, and had better music, too (though not as good as Dracula X). The game suffers from a few polish concerns - I already mentioned the clunky menu, but the map itself badly needed a zoom feature; I consulted a FAQ twice in clearing the game and both times the thing I was looking for had actually been on the map, just too small to easily see. My vision isn't bad, so there's really no excuse for this. PSP screen probably doesn't help since it's small, but it is crisp where TV images are not, and honestly I recall similar issues when playing the game on the Playstation, so eh.

Game is still decent, I do fundamentally enjoy a good Metroidvania or whatever you want to call them. The game was a huge step forward in its own way and I am pretty interested in playing some of the newer Castlevanias to see them polish up the whole exploration experience. Combat was forgettable in general, poor balance on enemies and I don't like the handling of Alucard whenever he gets hit (yeah, getting hit is supposed to suck, but it limits the flow of battles a bit?). Exp system was pretty cool actually, felt like I only ever levelled up from worthwhile enemies (relatively). Game actually seems well safeguarded against grinding accidentally when you get lost. Otherwise... some of Alucard's tricks are pretty fun to play with (yay Soul Steal), although poison mist approaches cheap, and I have no idea what they were thinking with Shield Rod/Alucard Shield since it's not especially hidden for something so broken. Game feels a bit too FAQ-bait generally (things like the special moves of weapons, is there any in-game documentation for those? I found a few by accident, but bleh) but that's a common complaint for me, not really holding it against the game.

6/10 or so, I have respect for it but I'm not exactly dying to play it again.

Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 16, 2009, 12:39:32 AM »
The Witcher: I solved a murder mystery, kind of. And my plan is to now kill the murderer. With a sword. If that doesn't work, maybe I can find a way to give him a venereal disease.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 16, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »
UFO: Cleared with what's-her-face-with-green-hair B (Sanae, right). Had four lives left at the end, only died once to the last boss. Nice. Notable WTF moment: not dying to that one batch of stage 5 randoms (you'll know it when you see it).

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=4304

Note to self: stop killing yourself to get UFOs (happens twice in this run). Also stop grabbing the third UFO right before a boss appears.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 16, 2009, 04:31:03 AM »
Etrian Odyssey - Floor 29

Located the exit to Pitfall Hell and fled. I only have around half of the place mapped but I am not currently up to the aggravation. Not to mention that while exploring the Corridor Of Stairways To Nowhere I ran out of icons for the map. That's terrific planning on their part.

Now I'm apparently in Warp City. The map is shaping up to be aesthetically pleasing which has a small soothing effect over the annoyance of all the current incorrect warps sending me back to the beginning. I've gotten as far in as Central Cross Station and there's not much blank area left for the exit to be in, but I've had to retreat from the dungeon for now, which means trekking back down there. Tsk.

I was originally attaching a memo to each warp listing the grid reference it warped to only to find that the amount of memos allowed is also capped, and at a considerably lower number than the icon cap. What exactly were they thinking -_- At least I have gotten enough to grips with the map now that I just have the correct path memoed out.

Rogue Galaxy - Fetch Questing

So we have now been tasked with collecting the Triforces of Wisdom, Courage, and Power Key Pieces of Scales, Lion, and Crab. My current intentions are to go to Juraika first as that is the only place I haven't been back to since getting access to the Factory so there are bound to be some blueprints there. Also Star Key chests to unlock. I am annoyed that the location of the Star Key was demolished very shortly after you got access to it; that is kind of a slap in the face to anyone who didn't have the requirements to get it at the time, assuming that the place isn't remolished later on of course.

In desperation of ever finding where Hunter Licenses were sold I tried MIO, and of course it turns out that she is the one to talk to about these things despite the fact that she is supposed to be the Visa person. Due to the cap on the amount of coins you can lug around I wasn't able to go directly to a Platinum License which was saddening as the only licensed things I've wanted to buy so far have required a Platinum License, but at least I've got two thirds the amount necessary. It seems so quick to have advanced through the licenses I find myself wondering if there are ones after Platinum.

This also led to me finding that MIO compiles a list of completion goals for you. Good times. At the time I was the most complete in Hunter Rank and Frog Log, both in the 80%s, and worst with Rare Items and Insector both on 0%. I have since found a Rare Item so that should no longer be the case for it, but I still haven't bothered doing anything in Insector. I have a full five-member squad now in case I ever do get around to it at least. 80% Frog Log was weird to see, but on closer inspection it turns out that she only requires you to get 100 combinations and actually make 50 of them for 100% completeness. What a gyp.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 04:34:12 AM by Twilkitri »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:35 AM »
Poképlat - Starly... learns Wing Attack at L10?

*Twitch.*