imageRegister

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 686125 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #4225 on: August 28, 2009, 06:22:53 AM »
Well, until he invites you in to his office for your bi-annual performance evaluation and the non-Euclidian geometry destroys your mind.

The office bitchery has done that already by that point, I'm sure.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 28, 2009, 06:30:35 AM »
The Witcher: Well, I sided with humans against elves. Big surprise. I think I'm supposed to feel bad that we're just killing every scoil'atel we find instead of imprisoning them for trial or something, but then I remember that they're elves and the world is a better place without them.

You're supposed to feel bad about siding with either because they're both pricks.

It's really strange what they do with seigfried. Side with the humans and he stays a pretty decent and honorable guy, but take either of the other two paths and he turns into a fucking raving fanatical loon.

Well, yeah. But one of the two sides are pricks, and the other side are pricks AND they're elves. At no point is it ever acceptable to side with elves over anything. I would align myself with Cthulhu before that.

So would you side with Twilight fangirls over elves?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4227 on: August 28, 2009, 06:40:10 AM »
Same thing... only elves are probably less fanatical and stuck up?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:24 AM »
more Dissidia, finished all the character paths, and of the light side characters, I definately think Cloud is someone I might main.  Though, not quite sure yet...  Doesn't help that the levelling system means that most of the character play is still inaccessable to me.  However, I have come to one conclusion.

This thing actually feels like a fighting game.  I mean, sure, there's all that levelling and equipment stuff.  But core equips don't seem to matter that much, you can grab nifty accessories off your opponents while fighting them, and it doesn't look like it'll be that hard to reach level caps for your mains.  Nor to master the appropriate skills.  And once that's done, I'm still getting the hang of it, but the way Dodging, Attacking, Blocking, and the interplay of how Brave and HP attacks work means that you actually have a fight which is nice and simple at it's core with a lot of things to think about and to manage which keep it interesting.  The biggest problem I have with the game so far is really, that a lot of it will be playing against AI opponents in order to level grind stuff, since the best play is always against people.  I mean, right now I merely tolerate the Chase system because it's Shit against the AI.  The defensive portion is fine, but very, very reactive, while the offensive portion is pretty much entirely luck.  Whereas against a human, that offensive proportion would be a nice place to play mindgames and you can try to fake them out by attacking fast, or delaying, or whatever else.

So, yeah.  I am totally geeking out over this, and dang is it worth it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4229 on: August 28, 2009, 08:44:46 AM »
The Witcher: Well, I sided with humans against elves. Big surprise. I think I'm supposed to feel bad that we're just killing every scoil'atel we find instead of imprisoning them for trial or something, but then I remember that they're elves and the world is a better place without them.

You're supposed to feel bad about siding with either because they're both pricks.

It's really strange what they do with seigfried. Side with the humans and he stays a pretty decent and honorable guy, but take either of the other two paths and he turns into a fucking raving fanatical loon.

Well, yeah. But one of the two sides are pricks, and the other side are pricks AND they're elves. At no point is it ever acceptable to side with elves over anything. I would align myself with Cthulhu before that.

So would you side with Twilight fangirls over elves?

I never said that. I said that siding with elves over Twilight fangirls is unacceptable. The correct solution is, of course, kill them both, which is an option I am given in The Witcher, but did not take because the Order are assholes to Elves and I'm okay with that.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
more Dissidia, finished all the character paths, and of the light side characters, I definately think Cloud is someone I might main.  Though, not quite sure yet...  Doesn't help that the levelling system means that most of the

Don't do it unless you are good at mind game. His move is very predictable and can be easily knocked off. But he does have an edge in knocking away incoming enemy, but still, the moves comes out slow and you really need a godo mindgame to predict enemy's action. But oce you get it going, it is not very hard just to knock your oponent far away with Cross slash every time they get close.

Also, lies to equipment not matter, you just haven't got the relevant ones yet. Go ask Xer how I pounded him to crap when he doesn't have all the shiny stuff despite we use characters in the same level.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: August 28, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »
I second the equipment thing.  Trying to take on the Terra Ghost with my own level 100 Terra, when the former was using Maduin's Horn, Super Ribbon, and 2 other level 99~ things, and mine ws stuck wtih level 50~ stuff, winning a fight was so damn hard.  Became a lot easier once I farmed a Stardust Rod from Kuja <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: August 28, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »
Poképlat - No Psycho Cut yet from Gallade, but I have 100% more STAB Brick Break. It'll do, although it won't benefit from Odd Incense shenanigans. There are still things I don't OHKO and this must be rectified.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: August 29, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Well, I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem, sooooo...

This game is living up to its 10/10 rating I feel. Just so much map diversity, you get to use so many characters which is something FEs suffer from, and it's just boatloads of fun and you have hax PCs and yet the maps are still hard sometimes.

3-3 is okay, you burn supplies and the map is pretty trivial overall. This is a pattern with the Greil Mercs.

3-4 is MOUNTAINS! Poor Titania. : ( Pretty easy map overall , though.

3-5 Heather died. : ( I made a stupid mistake and put her in a bad position, my bad. I didn't feel like resetting for a fucking thief so too bad.

3-6 was pretty difficult. Dawn Brigade + darkness + laguz = scary. I had some pretty tense moments but overall I did pretty well.

3-7 is stupid. : ( faiiil.

3-8 was pretty easy as well.

3-9 WE ARE BACK TO GEOFFERY AND FOLKS! God, half of my group was a fucking liability. Okay, just Astrid, but Kieran and Makalov are merely subpar.

3-10 ELINCIA WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!!!!?!?!?!!?!???!? Step away from the enemies, plz~

3-11 BRIDGE REDUX!!! OMG! I hate falling in holes. : ( Fliers for Godlike and such.

3-12 I had a couple of resets on because the Dawn Brigade isn;t quite as good as the other groups. I had NOLAN fail to dodge like four hits that should have missed at least once. Sad day. (GRAH STUPID FIRE EMBLEM i hate randomnesssss)

3-13 : o : o : o : o OH MY GOD IKE IS MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I am really glad that I didn't advance too far there. Yikes.

3-Endgame is PSYCHOLOGICAL TORTURE : ( I just knew I was going to explode after getting like 50 people killed or something, it was scary stuff. Neat map, but very easy.

4-Prologue was a chance to level people, mostly. Same with 4-1 and 4-2, although 4-1 was probably the most difficult due to Fog of War.

4-3 was desert. Pretty straightforward and easy and makes me thank goodness I sent lots of fliers with Micaiah.

Overall, I've been developing a pretty solid party. Meg, Aran, and Rolf are notable mildly unusual entries, although Rolf less than the rest.
MEG IS GODLIKE

Uh, other than that, I think my group is pretty cool. Gatrie has been ridiculously good as well, so I have DOUBLE GENERAL AWESOMENESS!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: August 29, 2009, 12:24:29 AM »
Needs more Pimplup.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I wish Grass Knot wasn't sorta unreliable. Oh well, Bubble Beam is oddly strong even now.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
Also

BURN, TRAITOR!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: August 29, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »
I see you've been converted to Tally-chuism.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: August 29, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »
Persona 4: 11/05. ;_;
(That's the car crash, btw.)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: August 29, 2009, 04:00:37 AM »
Blazblue: Hacking through story mode. Unlocked ??? path, which I guess is next. Most characters are 85-95% clear, except for Tager and Nu, who clearly have a pathsplit somewhere that I haven't found. Dunno what the trigger could be, as I've gone through beating every opponent with a distortion drive and also game-overed against all opponents. Actually, there are a number of characters I've been totally thorough with that are still incomplete somehow. It doesn't really matter for the purpose of unlocking stuff (since ??? is now available), just annoys me to have someone sitting at 98%. Probably some of the leftover stuff needs an astral heat finish to access or something. Haven't bothered trying to use those yet. Anyway, figured I'd ramble about characters a bit since I've used everyone a fair amount by this point. More or less in descending order of how much I like to use them so far.

Ragna/Nu: Ragna has a lot of easy-to-use special attacks that both charge forward while executing and chain together easily. This is exactly my preferred style. Also, draining adds up if you use it consistently. Question, though: what does Blood Kain actually do? I can't really tell, aside from it letting you access Devoured By Darkness. Nu, on the other hand, is just the ranged game from hell. Not at all a fan of her personality ("Hey Ragna, let's huuuug. *stabby stabby*"), but I'm probably best with her. And she gets the coolest music, at least.

Jin/Rachel: See the above, subtract draining attacks (Jin) and awesome ranged game (Rachel). Mind, Rachel's still very good at playing keep-away; Nu's simply a cut above.

Taokaka/Noel: Tao = ohgodwhywon'tyoustopmoving. It's hilarious, even though I clearly need to be more careful about which direction I'm flying. Noel just covers all the bases, really. Good all-rounder.

Litchi/Tager: Objectively good fighters that I need to use more. I have some issues with Litchi's distortion drives (Great Wheel misses most of the time and I flub the input for All Green on a regular basis), but her regular attacks have good range and pretty much all her specials are useful. Trapping the opponent between Litchi and the staff is kind of like the game Carl tries to play, but much easier to handle. Tager lacks mobility, which makes him not really my style, but at least he has ways of bringing the opponent to him. And I'm very glad that only two of his moves use those horrible full-circle inputs, as I can pull those off maybe 10% of the time even in training mode and wouldn't bother to try in a real fight. One question: what the heck is with Terra Break? Damned thing always misses. At first I was sure I was just triggering it too early, but it seems like you can only use it at a very specific time during Magna-Tech Wheel's animation, and at this time the opponent's never at the right height for it to connect.

Hakumen/Arakune/Carl: Mehhh. I don't really dig any of these guys. Hakumen's standard sword attacks are freakishly strong, but limited availability of special attacks is problematic for me. Insta-counters are neat, but I know from GG Baiken that I don't have the reflexes to make good use of those. Arakune is too floaty; I air-dash too much to get any mileage out of him (same reason I was never good with Eddie). I also find his distortion drives so specifically situational as to be nigh useless (I generally have to plan out when to use those). Carl is theoretically useful, but it would take work and there are a mess of people I'm already comfortable with. His non-Nirvana specials are unimpressive, so I tend to spam the others until the doll breaks down. Should stop doing that.

Bang: Can't stand using him, probably won't do so again since I've already gone through arcade and story mode with him. His special attacks are all short-ranged (excepting shurikens, but those are finite and only usable in the air) and use the dragon-punch input (which I still screw up about 20% of the time, even after all these years). SUPER BANG mode is hilarious, but too difficult to control. Also difficult for the opponent to get a bead on you, but I don't find this a fair trade.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: August 29, 2009, 04:29:43 AM »
Super Robo Gakuen: Uhm, cool?

The battle system is way too complicated for its own good, and unfortunately they force a 3 minute timer when you're busy inputting commands...

10:47:23 (Xer-BG2) Now Trance is trying it?
10:47:30 (Xer-BG2) Maybe you can tell me how the game actually fucking works >_>;
10:47:33 (Xer-BG2) I don't get it at all

Yeah. It IS pretty hard to get, even talking to that one girl to try and understand how to battle, I had to experience it first  in order to fully understand it. Battle is kind of like a glorified, really complicated version of 2v2 Pokemon battles where you have teams of 5 instead of 6, or something.

When inputting commands, they are done in the order you input them, and you are restricted by an AP cost of 50, however, the choice of how you plan your attack determines how much AP you start with, the maximum being 0. The table represent what kind of tactic is good against what, and it is somewhat like RPSL-Spock when doing it, only more complicated. If you have the advantage, you're given a negative value of AP to start off with, which can either be a blessing or a dead draw if you don't have much to work with or do. Usually you input the seishin command first before attacking, and then afterwards feel free to slap in an Evasion or Defend command.

Pressing X on the character checks the command list, where you can delete erroneous commands or delete everything if you messed up the order. Remember you have a 3 minute time limit so be fast about it.

And then things get even more complicated when you see the AC gauge, the arrows on it represent when your robots execute their action, note you can't see the enemy markers there, so they may attack earlier or predict your attack (the AI DOES cheat here) by using a seishin or by using the Evade command (which doesn't matter if you already use a Concentrate seishin prior). And be careful, sometimes the enemy may use soemthing like Guts or Love in order to restore their HP, kinda like when a Gym Leader in Pokemon uses a Full Restore (Grrrr!).

Y after you're done inputting commands and then the first option to commence battle...

---

And then there's the out of battle menus, which is a little bit hard to understand as well. Might've gathered already, but you collect a robot whenever you beat someone in a battle. The first option is where you form your squads of 5, you can have a maximum of 6 squads. Each squad has a cap of "squad cost," each robot has their own cost tagged to it and you can only put the robots which has a sum of 15 when forming a squad.

Each robot also has a hand symbol tagged to it, either Rock, Paper or Scissors. I believe this is their attribute, in an RPS format... In my second battle, the Rainbow Jack hit my Voltes V for nearly 50% of its HP with a seishin attack, and that mecha has Paper tagged to it - Voltes V has Rock tagged to it. Meanwhile, the other one had the same attribute and did only 600 damage >_>;

Well, you should take into consideration what bots you put in your squad, and you have 6 to outfit, so don't worry. Apparently you cna have multiple copies of mechas as well, as the Collection option shows you how many of that mecha you have.

---

The game started me off with Choryujin and Voltes V, and I managed to snitch a Soul Tiger and one of the Virtual-On mechs, I forget which. But. It's cool so far, if not overly complicated.

19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: August 29, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
so far.
Question, though: what does Blood Kain actually do? I can't really tell, aside from it letting you access Devoured By Darkness.

It massively buffs all of his D moves, but his health decreases while it's active.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: August 29, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »
Blazblue: Hacking through story mode. Unlocked ??? path, which I guess is next. Most characters are 85-95% clear, except for Tager and Nu, who clearly have a pathsplit somewhere that I haven't found. Dunno what the trigger could be, as I've gone through beating every opponent with a distortion drive and also game-overed against all opponents. Actually, there are a number of characters I've been totally thorough with that are still incomplete somehow. It doesn't really matter for the purpose of unlocking stuff (since ??? is now available), just annoys me to have someone sitting at 98%. Probably some of the leftover stuff needs an astral heat finish to access or something. Haven't bothered trying to use those yet. Anyway, figured I'd ramble about characters a bit since I've used everyone a fair amount by this point. More or less in descending order of how much I like to use them so far.

V-13 only has one path split, whether you distortion finish Jin or not. The minor percentage you are missing probably is from not losing to some characters.
Tager's split is on whether you distortion finish Bang or not, and whether you defeat Jin or not.

As for Blood Kain, it makes your draining a bit better. But really not worth it consider the health cost. Ragna already have bad hp and bad def in the first place. Unless you know you can land a Carnage Scissor or Devour by Darkness right after, I recommend not bother with it unless you are a really good Ragna player.

BTW, on Litchi, don't ever bother with Great Wheel and All Green, they have pitiful damage. Especially All Green, poor range poor damage and a slow start up. The tension can really be spent somewhere else.

And Terra Break? Use the right analog if you really can't get the timing right.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: August 29, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
Persona 4: Kunino-sagiri is PAIIIN.
On that note, rank Kunino-Sagiri~

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »
Kunino-Sagiri isn't really too bad outside his wtf control triggers. The elemental gimmick tends to bite him in the ass harder than it hurts you. Just have a phys-immune Persona and stuff that covers at least resistance to the spells your allies use without leaving any open weakness if you're paranoid. For me, I had a Jinn with Null Phys. That was funny.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: August 29, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
Hmm. The elemental gimmick's already screwed me over thrice, just because I have no clue what element he's gonna use. First two times, he hit me with overpowered Magarudyne, killed Souji. Third time, I switched to a Persona that Repelled Wind. He used Maziodyne. Gah.
Off to find something with Makarakarn - apparently I've not got any in the Compendium, so I'm off collecting Yen/Persona so that I can fuse an Alraune.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: August 29, 2009, 08:54:32 PM »
Hmm. The elemental gimmick's already screwed me over thrice, just because I have no clue what element he's gonna use. First two times, he hit me with overpowered Magarudyne, killed Souji. Third time, I switched to a Persona that Repelled Wind. He used Maziodyne. Gah.
Off to find something with Makarakarn - apparently I've not got any in the Compendium, so I'm off collecting Yen/Persona so that I can fuse an Alraune.

Defend.

Though Makarakarn is better (Magic Mirrors work as well).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4246 on: August 30, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »
Final Fantasy Tactics. Is there some hack I can use to make the text at the beginning go really, really, ridiculously fast?

Anyway, it reminds me of being about twelve or thirteen and playing it for the first time. My little brother is sitting next to me on the couch and I'm finishing the first battle and he says "Gafgarion is way better than Agrias. She's all 'Life is short' or 'I like life' or whatever, and Gafgarion just says 'EVIL SWORDS KILL!'"

It stuck with me.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »
Rogue Galaxy - Beaten

And as I have been putting off nattering about it, I consequently have too much to say here. Fortunately I don't remember most of what I thought of.

The Labyrinth, Gulza Sanctuary, and the Lair all fail horribly at level design, all being effectively two or three basic layouts repeated after each other ad nauseum for far too long. There were some elements of this in earlier locations, but nothing so egregiously as these were.

The whole Drigellum collection section seems kind of phoned in. Walk down repetitive path, do nothing of consequence, watch scene, repeat x6. Disappointing.

On another, earlier, hand, Johannasburg was pretty cool. Anyone know if there's any official art of Johanna, because she seems a good candidate for the next time there is a prettiness tournament.

Keeping on the line of things which were great, the final battle sequence was nicely done, although also partially a kick in the face as far as I'm concerned because most of my characters had basic weaponry equipped. My game plan being that I was going to swap to using another character once Deego had run out of weapons to master, and so on. And, he never ended up doing so ._. Ah well.

Speaking of mastering weapons, the stats on the froglog currently add up to 175 known combinations, 95 made combinations. So while I still consider the completeness target of 100/50 to be too low, I guess the 50 side of it isn't that bad.

Speaking of completeness targets, I'm currently on 97% revelation, 94% factory, 79% hunting record, 77% rare items, 0% insectron >_> with the rest completed. I have a block of 30 enemies that I've never seen taking up the majority of the missing hunting record; unsure where exactly they would be. Presumably something has opened up since beating the game since they're after the Arabis section enemies, but the game does not appear to be helping me out here. I intend to look up help on the remaining rare items and factory blueprints anyway so I will likely look up where I should be looking for these as well.

The world-item-usage system was really underutilised and it is a shame, especially with regards to the items that you get to use once and then are irrelevant for the rest of the game. Might as well not have even bothered. Most of the use the system gets is with the triggers for the major bounties, which is kinda annoying in itself.

Speaking of item usage, the revelation flow was overly formulaic as well. Effectively most times you get to a new area, some enemies will drop a new item that's used in it, which will currently be blocking several skills in the flow that you'll now unlock and their followups will end up blocked by an item in a later area. So you end up hoping to get enough random drops of these items, or you have to either grind or wait for shops to start selling limited amounts of them later on, but mostly my complaint is that everyone's flow ends up waiting on the same stuff. There are two items in the game which are used in the flow uniquely; there should at least have been one for every character. At the very least.

Speaking of shops selling limited amounts of things, shops randomly started selling their limited stock in infinite amounts late on in the game. No idea why, but I wasn't going to complain about it.

In final news, I consider the first movie of the puzzle being 'solved' to be awesome. Also game needs to be ranked. Also game needed to not drop five thousand cliches on you all at once post-Labyrinth. Kinda suffocating that way.

Taishyr

« Reply #4248 on: August 30, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
FFTA2: 300 quests complete, unlocked the Final Quest. Tried it, got to the fourth fight with only a few hiccups. Fourth fight devoured me alive and without a chance for struggling. Giving the enemy team two Tonberry Kings with initiative, and that innately double my team = lolwtfnofucku. I can theoretically beat it, but it'll require shuffling equips a lot. Also Tonberry Kings ignore evasion which made my Moogle evade twink very sad.

Since I haven't done much ranting about it here: FFTA2 is a solid game. Gone are the FFTA1 laws, with absurd difficulty to follow and harsh punishments for failure. FFTA2 laws are effectively "follow the law and you get some random items as well as a bonus of your choice; break the law and you can't revive during the fight." This is... far kinder and far more interesting as a system, since you can just flagrantly violate the law if you don't want the law or a bonus. Gone is FFTA1 worldbuilding which was immensely silly. They actually made a real world map this time, with set positions. Gone is the immense balance woes. Yeah, Viera probably still come out on top, but Humes, Seeq and Gria are all in the running quite easily, and Bangaa and Moogles both have tricks to let them stay usable. Nu Mou suck, but eh (in-game there are some uses for them, but the speed's just a sinker.) Gone are the insane number of dispatch quests; there's all of one quest I can think of that requires dispatch (and part of it, you can and should do for yourself. It's just too funny to see Luso get harassed by a Viking wearing lipstick.) And gone is the angst-filled plot: Luso is simultaneously both happy enough to explore the world, and engaged enough to be looking for a way home while doing so.

I don't blame anyone who got turned off the portables by FFTA; I would, however, suggest people at least try this. They removed a lot of the annoying elements, and in general streamlined battles. If what offended you was that the plot wasn't FFT level, FFTA2 doesn't try to live up to it by any means, I'm afraid. They do make it generally entertaining fluff with amusing, if usually 2.x dimensional characters.

So, uh, yeah. I beat it near-completely, it was fun, gonna finish topicing it soon. So yeah.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: August 31, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »
FE10 Part 4:

JILL HAS CAPPED ALL STATS. MWAAAAAAHAHAAAA. hahahhahahah. Jill is the best.

uh, anyway, I had a reset on the BK battle because I didn't realize BK would use Eclipse on me. Second time I just hammered him.

Also had a reset on the dragonz because of Titania. Titania and Marcia kinda feel like the weakest members of the party, while Jill does more damage than fuckin' Tibarn and Nailah. Holy shit. She is HAX.