Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 685591 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #5900 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
If you get Amps before Magatsu Inaba, you're grinding - but the game feels balanced for you to have Amps on your main party by that dungeon, particularly for Killer and Ameno-Sagiri. If you didn't have them by there - or, dear god, Izanami, I consider that underlevelling (slight to "what" scale). >_> And I dunno, if you didn't have Amps on -Souji- by Heaven, you probably just slacked off on fusion, it's pretty easy to get good Personas with Amps by then - and sans any fusion inheritance shenanigans. The elemental boost/amp items never become storebought, though - after P3, I guess they realized how retarded that was.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Dragon Age: Redcliffe survives the night. Took me running like a bitch back to the knights (and realizing I hadn't recruited Dwyn last time) but I managed the encounter. Also helped switching to Sten over Morrigan to give the group some staying power.

Now we invade the castle. Those dogs are mean.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: November 20, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »
If you get Amps before Magatsu Inaba, you're grinding - but the game feels balanced for you to have Amps on your main party by that dungeon, particularly for Killer and Ameno-Sagiri. If you didn't have them by there - or, dear god, Izanami, I consider that underlevelling (slight to "what" scale). >_> And I dunno, if you didn't have Amps on -Souji- by Heaven, you probably just slacked off on fusion, it's pretty easy to get good Personas with Amps by then - and sans any fusion inheritance shenanigans. The elemental boost/amp items never become storebought, though - after P3, I guess they realized how retarded that was.

Levels can be really variant in P4 though. Depends on how you break up the dungeons, if you get lucky with bonus EXP, etc. I was five-seven levels higher for the Killer than the stat topic, and that was entirely due to getting a single double EXP card bonus.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: November 20, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »
I generally just didn't get lucky with those cards period (avoiding most Arcana Chances due to how risky they could be and given how much I dislike being haxed did it for me). I'm just going by my own experience of breaking dungeons in two-parters (one-parters with as few fights as possible when going back for optional fights). This is mostly 'cause I think trying to do dungeons in a single go in P4 feels like giving luck too much leeway to stick a cattle-prod into your ass before recording your leeway. I think I was L77 for the Killer myself, and that's more or less just a level beyond when you get the Amps universally, no holds barred, for everybody. But yeah, fair enough.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »
Eh...Magatsu has the highest experience gains in the game, so higher levels there work fine.  I still think 70 or so is pretty decent for a level, though I could be argued there.  60 for the Hippie is pretty standard.  Although level 77 for Magatsu, I'd probably say 85+ for the frue final.  Soji should definitely have an AMP by then, probably even before then (I had an AMP+BOOST for the Fetus easily).
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Idun

« Reply #5905 on: November 21, 2009, 03:36:54 AM »
Lesseee.. L49 characters in Lost Odyssey right now. 3 now know Double SP, so everything should be expedited. Not interested in going back to Numara yet.

Beat Castle Crashers with the green dude. I'm still using him in the harder mode.

Man I need to touch 358/2.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5906 on: November 21, 2009, 04:55:02 AM »
Lost Odyssey... Man, I wish I had bought -that- instead of Last Remnant while I was in the states *sigh*

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: November 21, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Dragon Age: Redcliffe survives the night. Took me running like a bitch back to the knights (and realizing I hadn't recruited Dwyn last time) but I managed the encounter. Also helped switching to Sten over Morrigan to give the group some staying power.

Now we invade the castle. Those dogs are mean.

No kidding. I thouhgt I'd make it easier on myself by kiting a few of them into another room and then closing the door behind them, but oh shit dogs can open doors now.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: November 21, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »
So yeah basically Naoto just owns Hippie's dungeon and that's it since everyone's agreeing on the level thing. Yeah she's not as outright dominating as I thought on my first run (although she's by no means really bad either)

one-parters with as few fights as possible when going back for optional fights

*nodnods*

Well I didn't do the rainy days stuff on my first run but yeah.

I think I'm going to calculate my levels by Souji since he's always there and he's L82 or L83 now.

*CT grinds moar for Revolution on Hachiman*

I'm plotting on a new Yoshitune w/th Debilitate from the December 24th thing. So ...

Debilitate
Tarunda
Rakunda
Revolution
Stuff

Of course this means grind moar for HT again ;_; Oh well.

I might indeed be L85++ for frue final at this rate~

Edit: Oh yeah picked up that accessory that gives +5 all stats for Chie and picked up Fire Amp for Yukiko (forgot Fire Break)

The elemental boost/amp items never become storebought, though - after P3, I guess they realized how retarded that was

;_;

On the other hand Hatbot decreed I should replay P3 so I get to twink blow the hell of that too ^_^

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:48:26 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: November 21, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Soul Nomad- Up the first winnable World Eater fight! Where I basically got down right to the end, and had my face smashed in. That ranged magic attack is nasty.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: November 21, 2009, 11:38:43 PM »
WAoO - lalalalala yellow brick road into oz castle AGH YOU DICK YOU HAVE A FORMCHAIN?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: November 21, 2009, 11:53:23 PM »
FFT: Beat Miluda 2 after levelling a little. Funny how much difference one level can make in early FFT, at least. ;o Finally got Mediator, been running around trying to invite monsters, just to release them afterwards. Ended up finding a Knight called Tymothi and stealing all his gear after recruiting him. Good times.
Also, I know this is still nothing new, but ARGH FFT RNG FUCK YOU WITH A RAKE.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »
One level does almost nothing in FFT unless you hit a speed point or something similarly crucial. One ability, on the other hand, can make a big difference indeed.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: November 22, 2009, 12:56:23 AM »
Ahh, that was probably what did it, yeah. Getting Weapon Break made things a fair bit easier. ;o

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: November 22, 2009, 01:00:03 AM »
Only time levels help is if you hit that crucial benchmark level (when you gain an extra PA/MA/Speed) *OR* if your HP was in such a way that enemies were barely killing you, and the very mild push upon leveling up made you barely survive one more attack (surviving with just 1 HP is a big deal, since it means you basically forced the enemy to waste another turn killing that one PC, which can be a bigger deal than you expect.)  The latter isn't likely to happen often cause its rare that FFT damage happens so perfectly like that.

Yeah, skills and equipment are bigger deciding factors in FFT.  Like recognizing that a helmet giving +1 Speed is obviously a better investment than a mere +8 HP on another Helmet (or...whatever the Black Hood's boost was compared to things lower.  I just remember the things before it were like "+2 PA" "+1 MA" "+1 Speed" in some order <_<)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »
Eh a couple of levels at that early stage is not insignificant HP boost, but percentage wise by Miluda 2 it should be near irrelevant though yeah.  MP boosts on the other hand...
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: November 22, 2009, 01:57:44 AM »
Dissidia: Must... play... more...

Unlocked all initial buyable bosses, and cleared Cecil's story mode. Played a few matches with each character, to get a good feel. Exdeath makes me a sad panda. Maining Cecil for now (Level 49).

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: November 22, 2009, 02:20:57 AM »
One level does almost nothing in FFT unless you hit a speed point or something similarly crucial. One ability, on the other hand, can make a big difference indeed.

But...but...EXTRA 3 HP!!!! (Actually, for all intent purposes, that could matter. It's just very unlikely >_>)

FE7 - Still playing! Had to use the arena because I got no cash. Up to Pale Flower of Darkness now with the evil me. Despite getting uber Eliwood, I still promoted Lyn first. Wonder if its because Blade Lord's Bows/New caps > Knight Lord's Spears/Horse/Caps. Or maybe I just do it out of habit. And yes UBER Eliwood. He has been getting like +4 stats on every level.

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: November 22, 2009, 02:21:20 AM »
WAoO - Beaten! With actual resources, the fight was pretty simple. I think that's the -one- fight where the ratio system actually hurts a boss, because all the parts of Oz having 2x ratio was... uh... not a great idea, since it makes them not do pressure that well. Ultimate Magic is a scary buff (OHGOD 200 DAMAGE SOUND WAVES x2 THAT OVERKILLS TIN MAN MAKE IT STOOOOOOOOOP), but Scarecrow sorta is faster than Oz -even after it-, so Purifying Wind = lol. Dorothy and Tin Man were the MVPs in this fight, and Oz -really needed to have Dispel too-, because he just doesn't take to 1200 damage a turn off Power Boosted Battle Winds too well. Oh well. Ending was pretty saccharine, but fits and is cute. Not bad, all in all.

In the end, though, what to make of the game? Wizard of Oz is basically a DQ game with a bunch of odd decisions, both in interface and gameplay design, so it's... pretty basic as a RPG. However, its strengths lie in being rather well designed within its own odd ideas. For instance, movement is entirely done via a trackball that you maneuver with your stylus. There's no button interface, only touch-screen interface. This could be an utter trainwreck, but the entire game is very carefully designed to make the trackball movement responsive and undemanding, and the dungeon design responds in kind. It's not very creative, but it's easy to navigate and fast-moving, and the environments are also surprisingly lush, with a dash of personality. The battle system, while being also basically DQ, adds the ratio twist for distinct turn-based dynamics, which actually adds nicely to the system and balances itself well with the PC designs - this also being a strong point in the game. Character dynamics are neat and well balanced, and you can find decent uses for basically everything in the skillsets you get. Add to that the fact the game is like 25 hours long -if- you do backtracking for items and stuff (I clocked in on 20 hours) and you have a really pleasant fluff game. It's cute, it's breezy, it's interesting and it's actually fun. Nothing truly standout outside the tight internal design, but that honestly was enough for me. 7/10, would recommend it to people who want an endearing and well-made cotton candy game. It also actually captures the fantastic, but breezy atmosphere of Oz (at least the first movie) fairly well, in spite of the possibility of JAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. It doesn't borrow from the mythos deeply at all, but it's relatable and doesn't detract from the game in any way.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:44:59 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: November 22, 2009, 03:03:03 AM »
Blue Dragon: Started this game up!  Just got classes and then saved; would've played more but got started late for a number of IRL reasons, and then generally, my "intro" to a game doesn't last more than an hour either way, whether I like the game or not!

IOws, way too early to tell!  I will say  that of the 3 main names I saw (Uematsu, Sakaguchi and Toriyama), its...really obvious.  Toriyama's art style is very obvious, though the way the graphics work, the characters don't look half bad, so yeah, no problems there.  The Music is so obviously Uematsu, and its nice to hear him again, cause songs sound very similar to stuff from FF9 for the most part thus far, though one song sounded exactly like "The Unforgiven" from FF6 (its the part where the 3 kids are being dragged by the shark.)  As for Sakaguchi...the Final Fantasy Elements are just obvious all over the place.

Basically, the game LOOKS like a Dragon Quest, but it certainly feels and sounds like a Final Fantasy.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5920 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »
Too bad it couldn't try looking like anything other than an abortion Dragon Quest.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: November 22, 2009, 03:51:23 AM »
Too bad it couldn't try looking like anything other than an abortion Dragon Quest.

You should listen to Djinn. Being in Japan, he's an expert on abortion Dragon Quest.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:38 AM »
Anyhow, for full character evaluations as PCs on WoO, because I still got the game on my system.

Dorothy - The skillset goddess. Healing, revival, status healing, buffing, magical damage, crippling status, she has it all. 1x Ratio gives her a lot of leeway to sneak her into just about any battle formation, which lets her pull off her ample support rather leniently. 1x ratio also means she's good for randoms: the damage on her physical sucks, but enemies are so frail she often OHKOs the things she hits type weakness on, and Dream Land is one of your only fast crowd control methods for most of the game. All this packed on someone with pretty solid speed, and she often ends up taking magic better than the rest of the party in practice due to game-best MDef and no elemental weaknesses (and this isn't a trivial concern: magical damage is common). She has a couple -glaring- problems, though: game-worst HP and the speed isn't godly, just solid, which means that she can be reasonably outpaced to her support. It's weird, but those two factors balance her out quite nicely. MVP due to having enough stats to use her excellent skillset and being a good character for randoms, but this isn't a spot she earns for free and her disadvantages are definitely not trivial.

Strawman - There's a big reason why Dorothy doesn't coast straight to MVP land, and this reason is called Strawman. His skillset is clearly inferior to Dorothy's, and it starts up downright unappealing. Unlike Dorothy, who can call about 3/4 of her skillset money moves from more or less the get-go, Strawman's skills are often niche or just not that interesting at first, with only a few standouts. His damage is also very clearly game-worst, having even less strength than Dorothy and not even getting a good damage spell lategame. However, he gets the single two most important things to make you good on randoms: speed and 1x ratio. Strawman is -fast-. As in "less than ten enemies outpace me even half of the time" fast. Also benefits from enemies being frail, so he can clean randoms well. That alone would be nice, but, as I said, his skillset only has a few standouts, but those few jewels are amazing within the game's design, and his niche stuff is hardly problematic: First Wind doesn't see a ton of use at first glance, but it is a neat idea if you want to, say, get a Tin Man turn in before a boss dispels his Power Boost, and it can be plugged in almost anywhere. Stealing is a neat, if unreliable way to deepen your item reserves, and you -want- items in Oz so Strawman can put his game-best speed to use on bosses whenever you need healing that won't come from Dorothy fast enough (this happens pretty often). His debuffs are also fairly effective - Fox Hunt, particularly, is a very neat anti-physical skill, and it can play some funny, if expensive synergy with his status even on randoms, and it's a pain on bosses with physical damage worth caring about. Dispel is a must in the lategame, as boss buffs are just plain scary and you don't want them flying around unless you like the idea of eating crucial one-turnings. And, of course, Tomato Bomb is the aforementioned status: as accurate as Dream Land and off someone notably faster, this gem is one of the best moves in the game. Confuse status may not be immediately crippling like Dream Land is, but running off that speed and shutting down everything that isn't a basic physical -along- with giving enemies a chance to waste their turns either hurting themselves or doing nothing is fantastic. And, unlike sleep, it doesn't get undone by damage. The ID is accurate enough to be worth using, and it can save you turns, although it's sadly expensive. And Strawman, of course, makes a great backup healer if you're not too stingy with items (don't be). His only real drawbacks lie in the poor offense (not a big deal), his game-worst by far MP (-this- is a big deal, as he uses his skillset a lot and his highest risk/reward move is not cheap) and the effectively game-worst durability. His HP is almost as bad as Dorothy's, his defense is notably worse and his MDef, while second-best, is far removed from hers, and he also has a pesky elemental weakness to Fire. Still, it's impressive how he makes so much out of a skillset that doesn't seem that attractive at first. The stat spread is just that good.

Lion - LVP. Lion's stat spread is game-worst, having no stats where he truly stands out, but being saddled with game-worst MDef by a fair margin and subpar speed. Since his HP isn't that good, it makes him sort of a liability against magic in a vacuum, and his offense needs work - while his strength is second-best and he can still act up to two times a turn, it takes him a long time to get offensive skills. So, he has to get by with his oddball defensive skillset, which, fortunately, is actually workable. Perfect running is pointless. Alert is your earliest anti-magic device, and, while it's unreliable (just evasion against spells), it gets all spells in the game and is GT, making it worthwhile to cast - especially given how magic is rather prominent in boss fights. The rest of his stuff is rather niche, though: Wild Cry is very accurate, full MT stun, which would be great if it worked on enemies faster than him - although it is useful on those slower than him indeed. D-Formation is a good buff in a vacuum, but Fox Hunt is a better anti-physical tool in practice. His MT gravity skill also ends up being sorta unexciting, mainly because enemies are often OHKOed in Oz to begin with. His skillset finally rounds up when he gets Lion Roar and Elements, though - Lion Roar is much needed offense, which is rather badass, but also rather inaccurate, but it's good enough to make it worth using when you want offense in a turn but can't afford to swap Tin Man in. Elements is basically MT elemental walling, reducing all elemental spell damage by 75%. Given how much of your boss-fighting happens against elemental damage, this has very obvious uses, although it's late. Lion can provide a fair wealth of anti-magical defense, which is a welcome niche in Oz, where 3/4s of your party has issues handling magic due to the RES curve and elemental weaknesses, but besides that, he mostly plugs filler holes in offense. It's enough to make him not dead weight, but being the worst character on randoms just hurts too much.

Tin Man - Amazingly, the game-worst speed PC with 3x ratio is not bad against randoms. Tin Man starts out downright useless (YAY having only a basic physical and eating almost all your party spots), but he starts picking up into a very clear niche as soon as he gets skills. While Dorothy gets the tools to keep your party alive, Strawman gets stuff to annoy enemies and Lion has tools to mitigate magic, Tin Man packs a full wealth of offensive options, which are sorely needed. He's the first character to get GT offense (Full Swing), and he handily OHKOs most groups with it for the entirety of the game. This works quite well in tandem with, say, Dream Land, and it's both cheap and running off Tin Man's surprisingly deep MP reserves (only below Dorothy). He also gets ITE, mitigating his accuracy issues, and starts getting higher damage skills progressively, which -also- can hit type weaknesses, making him very apt at handling the more durable monster types that won't, say, be even 2HKOed by their typical weakness hitter, and they tend to mulch even the durable randoms without hitting weakness to boot. When he gets Battle Wind, his offense suddenly skyrockets and he becomes your highest source of high-profile offense: a Power Boosted Battle Wind is a nasty four-digit damage drop on bosses, and its unfocusing properties means you could even use it on randoms. Then, his final skill kicks in and he becomes the most powerful crowd clearer you could hope for besides Melt Down Dorothy (if you're willing to cover the HP cost, and Dorothy has to use her MP on a lot of stuff to begin with): Soul Break is an ITE, full MT high-damage skill that only gets stronger as Tin Man's HP goes down - it works well for his high-profile damage sponging niche with game-best HP, defense and only slightly below average MDef, and very little survives a Soul Break even with full HP Tin Man - low HP, it's just downright murderous, and it finds great use in the last boss due to his actually non-complete failure support. Tin Man fills a role very similar to Raquel's in Wizard of Oz, and does it quite adequately: he may not be a MVP like Raquel was, but his durability and offense are very welcome. Just keep him away from ice magic, though: Tin Man suddenly turns into Lion against that element.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:08:00 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:10 AM »
SN- Took down Thuris 1! It took a fair bit of grinding and actually paying attention to Decors! Very solid fight there. When I finally one, I got most of my force out alive. Desert +10% decors where probably a notable help. Progressed to the second Shauna fight. I've basically been able to completely ignore decors after that one fight!
...into the nightfall.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: November 22, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »
What were your levels coming out of it? The maingame can be beaten without ever even thinking about grinding. Though yes, the difficulty is somewhat uneven.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!