Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676097 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #6375 on: December 25, 2009, 10:21:33 PM »
IN FFXII is there any reason to chain attack other then getting better loot and sometimes life and other buffs?

Also, what do titles do and where can I access them?

Titles are just something extra to do on the side; they basically exist to make your Trophey Room thing look better...

...wait, no, those are achievements.  IIRC, talk to Mont Blanc whenever you get a new title, and he'll give you a reward, usually something meager, and often a lot of gil, but hey, free stuff is free stuff, right?  You get it by earning Battle Points, IIRC, which is done in a variety of ways, like killing enough enemies to open up the extra entry on their description (which often has nothing to do with the monster in question <_<), killing Rare Finds, doing hunts, etc.  I think you get minor amount just for killing enemies.

As far as chaining attacks go...yeah, its basically for reward purposes only.  It makes getting some rare stuff better, and it allows for special drops like HP/MP Healing things.  Sadly, does not apply to those items that allow for EXTRA drops from enemies; those are a set rate and there's no way to increase them *shakes fist at Hell's Gate Gem*
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: December 25, 2009, 11:19:17 PM »
SRWW - Dammit Sosuke stop being emo and get Lambda Drive back. On the other hand, Tekkaman Army is sexy and cool and kinda ridiculous. Upgrading them in bulk is way too cheap for the kind of shit they can do.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: December 25, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »
'Tis the season to be ranting, fa la la la la, la la la la~

Endless Frontier - Completed two days ago. About 30 hours, final level was 52-53 or so. Final party was Haken, Kaguya, Xiaomu, and KOS-MOS, which feels like the best at the end.

Challenge I thought basically went down the toilet after leaving Formido Heim. I understand that Ezel was meant to be the badass of the human enemies but they seemed super-paranoid of making anyone better than him even unscaled, which is bad because there is still 25% of the game left. Getting the final set of Spirits didn't help. The frue final dungeon fights were fine at least, HOLY CRAP A REAL MT ATTACK but nothing that couldn't be handled. The regen should have been way better on the final at the very least. 3%? Not exactly up to SRW standards.

Only real exception to note here is the random against two Mutants and two Proto Androids which was almost boss-level outside their ability to be statused. Mmm, status.

So yeah, thoughts...

I've already said everything I feel needs to be said about the offensive direction of the writing and fanservice. It didn't really get better or worse as the game went on, so rather than beat a dead horse I will just let my previous comments stand. This is why the game doesn't deserve a high score.

Otherwise... game's SERIOUS PLOT was horrible. Fortunately the game didn't exactly take itself seriously, frequently mocking its own plot. "Wait what is EVERY VILLAIN visiting Formido Heim?" "It seems this world has more princesses than kingdoms." etc. It's not exactly consistent enough in its humour to be another Mana Khemia 2 or even another Mario and Luigi, but it's something I can appreciate at least. Also, with one exception (after the tree dungeon), the game never spent too much time on its plot. Pacing was overall good, which is one of the reasons I never exactly put the game down despite my complaints about it. OH NO NO SIDEQUESTS.

Visually, the game looks like a SNES game on the field but the battle animations are more than good enough, which is very important for a game which is about comboing (see another reason why VPDS sucks). I would have good things to say about the animation cut-ins if they were less fanservicy. (I appreciate every boss having one, in particular.)

Musically, you generally can't go too wrong with SRW music. Stuff like Ash to Ash and Dark Knight never needs more hype, and I also liked how they used some old tracks in new ways (Alfimi's theme becoming a background for the mysterious dungeons). New tracks were generally rather good, particularly the Orchestral Army theme.

Gameplay... again, I've mostly been into. VP and SRW? Interesting mix, and they pull it off reasonably well, with enough challenge to keep it interesting. My biggest objection with the gameplay in the end was the fact that they tied themselves to firmly to certain battle designs. EVERY boss has an attack string, an overdrive (which is either high 2HKO or OHKO), and an almost-MT attack which hits exactly three people and sometimes adds status. And nothing else. This isn't a bad design to base all your bosses around (and the number of bosses and nature of support changed how battles played out significantly) but why be so rigid about it in the first place? Just random, and definitely cut down on how good the gameplay could have been.

I will hype again the game's challenge curve, though. I really, -really- liked how you could usually experiment just fine with different combos in weaker fights, but in tougher fights, you were expected to nail what you'd learned or enjoy blocking and forced evasion. I'm really surprised there are some people who didn't like these mechanics. If they didn't exist the combo system would be

Characters! No DL thoughts, they are all at least High Heavy. Broken cast is broken.

Haken: Probably my favourite. Haken could have been terrible but he was actually pretty damn likable. He's cool but the game's not afraid to make him the butt of jokes. When he learns about his past he's obviously shaken but he doesn't break down and whine about it. He has a bit of a playboy act (probably mostly gotten from his father) but he's actually quite considerate to women and makes relatively few of the boob jokes. No real depth but are you expecting that from EF? REALLY? Anyway, aside from the lack of depth he reminds of Yuri and there's nothing wrong with that.
Gameplaywise, also the best! Well, he doesn't stand out for a while but as the game goes on he takes over as its king. He has good speed, which is essential for randoms, and Snipe, which is brutal (yay turn cancel that doesn't take his own turn). For bosses, he gets Valour which is okay.. then gets Rampage Spectre and gets Overdrive-like damage (or better?) without having to use an Overdrive. Yeah.

Aschen: Liked her dry humour, loooathed her DTD mode. Yeah. So much I stopped using her as a PC.
Gameplaywise, well, I wouldn't have stopped using her if she wasn't kinda underwhelming. She has some decent support spirits but it seemed like they were usually less cost-effective than the versions of others. Early on she had Divine Lancer which was notably better damage than what others had but this vanished long before I benched her (i.e. when other PCs started getting High damage techs), after that... yeah. Probably LVP, everyone else has -something- more notable, but at least she could play healbot with Trust.

Kaguya: She has boobs. And... um... yeah, she's really, really busty. Deepest questions to be asked about her character? Are those DDs or Fs? (Okay, she wasn't objectionable as a character otherwise, but nor was she especially notable. She's like a poor man's Yuna. If the man is poor because he just paid for some massive implants.)
Gameplaywise, she heals well, between the option of cheap ST and MT she is probably the best at the job (never mind her vastly superior SP pool), and I definitely liked her around for bosses. Miracle is evil, later on, and Fury is nice too. Not too impressive for randoms due to unimpressive speed and not much of a spirit set for them (Fury is good again, though) but she could heal battery very well if needed. Probably second best PC, but part of that may be Miracle/endgame nonsense weighing heavilly on me.

Suzuka: What was her personality again? Kaguya's BFF from an enemy kingdom? Was that even explained? Hated her battle style, incidentally. That probably left the biggest impact on me of anything about her.
Gameplaywise, Inspire is cool beans. Yes, it is just a Joss Stick but at 40 SP it's very cheap for the effect of a 500 gold item you can easily run out of. Always used her for at least one boss a dungeon. Besides that she wasn't too notable, game-best speed was awesome but her damage felt low to compensate (and trickier to combo well), so yeah, some balance there. Not the worst PC in randoms but nothing special either.

Reiji: Ciato will be angry at me if I don't mention his ANIME RAGE! This has more to do with some of his character poses than his actual personality, which is to be the straight man. Has a RIVALRY!!! with Saya that isn't explained properly but I partially blame NamcoxCapcom for this.
Gameplaywise, hmm. Soul makes him a good boss fighter (at least until Miracle shows up, he does take a fall at the end), if a one-dimensional one (Faith helps, though). He's not very good in randoms due to bad speed, though does at least have the Accel option to be relevant in round 2. It was annoying how he couldn't be ST healed unless Kaguya or Aschen was in the party. Bit of a middle-of-the-road PC whom I got reasonable use out of but was never wowed me.

Xiaomu: Is the crazy sidekick to Reiji's straight man. And a total internet nerd as a bit of a shout-out to the fans. Largely there for humour, worked decently at it, but her being 700 or whatever is a bit jarring. Shoulda made use of her vastly greater wisdom for the game's serious scenes but I guess they wrote themselves into a corner with her trope.
Gameplaywise, pretty solid all-rounder. Decent speed and Snipe, so see Haken, you know she is going to be good. Guts was a nice upgrade on the usual Vigour. Valour. Attune. Yeah, she is pretty stacked without being incredible at anything. (Not stacked in THAT way. Actually she is, like, the only averagely proportioned female in the entire cast, with Suzuka and Kyon on one side and... everyone else on the other. (God, see what playing EF does to your brain?))

KOS-MOS: XENOSAGA THREE. Noooo~. She brought T-elos into the game and T-elos is just as worthless this time around! Aside from that, KOS pretty much overlaps with Aschen. No DTD mode at least! Not as much snark, but still a lot more than in XS. Also, "How odd. In my time, the internet is for-" *Xiaomu quickly silences her* I laughed.
Gameplaywise, she is kinda like Reiji. Substantially better stats, better healing, Attune and Fury are both nice, cheap revival is cool on a tank, and combos well with cheap Guard if you really need to save Smelling Salts. All she gives up for this is a damage-boosting spirit, which is quite a big deal. Glare makes her much badass in randoms when you get it, but that's pretty late. Still, she makes a very effective tanky supporter as long as you are happy with your finishers.

Koma: Every fetish-filled game needs a catgirl. Fills the requisite over-zealous shopkeeper trope, too.
Kyon: See above, replace catgirl with loli. Her report to Henne was hilarious though.
Cardia: Hey, Echidna was pretty boring, let's recycle her.
Anne Sirena: Dear god, Banpresto.
Bonny Maxmad: I wasn't going to comment on him here, but the DELICIOUSLY EVIL GRIN which he shows only for one throwaway scene in the ending ("Let's just blow everything up. "... with pleasure.") makes me like him.
Henne: Valkyrie equals style points. I'd say she was immesnely stylish in general, but... AVIATOR GOGGLES. What the fuck guys. I guess she does fly. Sorta halfway between Kyon and Ezel as a serious character.
Saya: Grah underexplained crossover villain.
Dorothy: Well the Wizard of Oz references were cute at least?
Shuten: Stupid. Just... stupid. His arguments for fighting you that second time were headdesk-worthy.
Otone: Token ninja, because PIRATES AND NINJAS AND ROBOTS ALL IN ONE GAME? THIS CAN NOT FAIL.
Rubor: Wait why the fuck did I fight you again? You want to pick a fight with the Orchestral Army so you are fighting me? The enemy of my enemy is my enemy? I have no sense of his character otherwise but he is probably the stupidest person in the cast which says something.
Katze: Token gay one. Pretty funny anyway. And I liked how when he got serious he actually moved the plot. Twice!
Ezel: Also gets points for moving the plot. His big reveal is probably the closest I got to caring about the game's story. Oh yeah, and the Orchestral Army uniforms look sexy in the scene where they are all together.
T-elos: Fails horribly, but still better than in XS3. Actually like a 1.5/10 character!
Einst Overmind dude: You sucked in OG2 and you still suck now!

Game gets a 5/10. So weird. Part of me is saying "Well OBVIOUSLY it is better than the SRPG OG games, light-hearted plot and more creative and doesn't have OG1's braindead easiness!" while the other part of me is beating me to death with Code DTD, D-Teneritas (argh too many D's the puns they burn), and the frequently offensive infantile humour. 5/10 works as a weird balance for what the game does well and what it fails at miserably. It kept me playing so a lower score doesn't work, but I am just not -comfortable- actively hyping the game which is what I start doing once you hit 6. Worth checking out if you know what you're getting into and you're willing to try anyway, you'll be able to judge very quickly just how offputting the game's flaws are.

I need either another portable game or to go back to reading. Suggestions?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »
SO3- Adray makes the team because he is ten thousand times the man Noel is. Peppita/Maria/Adray endgame team, whee.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: December 26, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
Rebelstar Tactical Command for the GBA, play that NEB.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Taishyr

« Reply #6380 on: December 26, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »
FFTA2, NEB? >_>

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: December 26, 2009, 01:36:57 AM »
FE 11, you know you want to.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: December 26, 2009, 02:37:01 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu would beat Elfboy with WAoO, but impossibilities will happen.

SRWW - YAY SHIN SHINE SPARK and dear god those Tekkaman army upgrades are ridiculously addictively cheap.

EDIT:

WoO - For some reason, I started a replay. The earlygame is pretty rough.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:41:33 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: December 26, 2009, 02:38:02 AM »
Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Sexay game. Review completed and posting soon.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6384 on: December 26, 2009, 08:58:27 AM »
Have you played all the Mario & Luigi games, NEB? They are good stuff.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: December 26, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
Xenosaga 13-

1. The music is U.SaGa and Sigma Harmonics combined, it really makes me feel that I am playing another game
2. Snow must die
3. Vanilla would have worked well if she is a big bad, too bad she end up just as another sweet girl with uninteresting back story.
4. The first 2/3 of the plot is so incredibly Shonen Jump, in a very bad way.
5. If I heard the term "mamoru" one more time......
6. Snow must die
7. It'll be a lot funnier if they just turn Hope into a harem main. Things is already funny if you look at what happened out of context.
8. What is the point with the summons when most of them are gotten two chapters away from the last one? Oh wait, since you are forced to control Lightning 70% of the time before chapter 11, you can't use anything but Odin anyway.
9. Snow must die
10. On the other hand, if only chapter 11 can happen faster....
11. Snow must die

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: December 26, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »
Completed SO3 with super. We beat the crap out of the game. Rotated between all PCs and we finally settled on Adray, Maria and Peppita yeah. Super wasn't all that impressed with anyone else ;o Sophia and Mirage especially faced his wrath. We rushed the last section of the game so we could finish it so we ended up at L63 with Maria and Peppita and level fifty something with Adray. Skillwise we had a L6 or so Scatter Beam which Maria basically had stuck on all game, L2/3 Frozen Daggers, L5 Power Dance, L5 Healing Dance, L2 Faerie Friend ... I think ... and L2 Panic Dance irrc. The dances were close to L6 too =-) Most of the bosses in the final dungeon were complete and utter scrubs. Even the final hardly put up a fight and died really fast. Well we did synth to hell >.> One Orichalcum and an added attack decision with fireworks counter weapon for Peppy, a boots of prowess and chance no HP/MP damage factors, mp plus and nine percent MP regen for Adray. Well MP regen and Convert damage on everyone =-)

Oh yeah recruited most of the best inventors for super too =-)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:04:37 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: December 26, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
SO3- Done! Well, for now. I need to play with the game a bunch and fiddle with it to figure it out DL wise (Which means time to harass Dhyer). It's a fun game once it gets going, but gameplay wise it takes far too long for that.  Most of my rant from before stands; it's just largely inferior to SO2 in several critical areas and the story is as much of a mess as SO2's. There are a couple of very interesting  plot elements, but the overarching plot is just as bad as SO2's and the game loses most of it's ability to delve into the characters when the story gets moving near the end of disk 1, which is the same problem SO2 had in that regard.

It manages to make the god of the entire universe a self involved game programming godmodding douchebag who proclaims the death of the universe for delving into a certain area of science and yet handles said themes far better than XS. Fuck you XS.

Fayt is pretty terrible as a main character gameplay wise. It's a shame.  Later PC's are neat but your options are painfully limited thanks to most of them joining underleveled and the game not giving you new PC's for ages.  Fuck you Mirage, bears repeating.  Yes join 80% into the game after sitting around for most of the game.

Sophia and Ameena were both terrible plot wise. Go die faster next time.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:35:05 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: December 26, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
If you can grab Wizard of Oz for the DS, I'd suggest that NEB. It seems like something you would enjoy due to the simplistic yet original and deep combat system. It is also short and refreshingly fun.

Legend of Heroes 2: Generic game. Nonetheless I find myself liking Christina and Jurio. Childish fluff fun. Not much in the way of difficulty, much like LoH3, although there is not Forte the God of Devastation in this one (in fairness that didn't really kick in till the end of 3 where he got Time Stop off of HIS speed). I find myself healing a lot more often in this game than I did in 3, that's for sure. Christina is the healer who I gave a speed ring to so she goes first and corrects serious issues if I have them. Her physical was passable early but has just degraded to barely noticeable. On the other hand her special is like 1.5x stronger than anyone else's so that is a nice touch. Jurio just hits things, as I find his MT summons to take too damn long to animate to be worth it (a problem with magic in general in this game). Plot is as cliche'd as can be but you know what I don't even care I'm having fun.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: December 26, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »
SO3- Done! Well, for now. I need to play with the game a bunch and fiddle with it to figure it out DL wise (Which means time to harass Dhyer). It's a fun game once it gets going, but gameplay wise it takes far too long for that.  Most of my rant from before stands; it's just largely inferior to SO2 in several critical areas and the story is as much of a mess as SO2's. There are a couple of very interesting  plot elements, but the overarching plot is just as bad as SO2's and the game loses most of it's ability to delve into the characters when the story gets moving near the end of disk 1, which is the same problem SO2 had in that regard.

It manages to make the god of the entire universe a self involved game programming godmodding douchebag who proclaims the death of the universe for delving into a certain area of science and yet handles said themes far better than XS. Fuck you XS.

Fayt is pretty terrible as a main character gameplay wise. It's a shame.  Later PC's are neat but your options are painfully limited thanks to most of them joining underleveled and the game not giving you new PC's for ages.  Fuck you Mirage, bears repeating.  Yes join 80% into the game after sitting around for most of the game.

Mirage is mostly a copypasta of Cliff with a few of Maria's moves thrown in anyway.

Also, playthrough sounds like it was noticeably lacking in Nel.  This should be rectified.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: December 26, 2009, 05:01:08 PM »
FFXII

I love this battle system. Or maybe I just love to grind, and with this game its easier and faster then ever before!

I'm around level 30ish for Bashe, Balthier, and Vaan, and the ladies are significantly at lower levels (like 9 for Fran).

I've tried to make everyone unique in some sort of fashion, but well...everything is so close, people are starting to mesh together.

Vaan - I was going for a thief of sorts, but he has pretty much all the battle liscenses already...

Bashe - Tank, Damage dealer, master of weapons.

Balthier - MC for sure! More of a red mage with a gun, which is awesome.

Fran - Black Mage who never steps into combat!

Ashe - White Mage whith a sword and sometimes a staff.

Penelo - I made her learn all the techniques and accessories, otherwise she is uneventful at best.

I just beat the Gil Snapper when I was around 25 or something. Good lord did this fight take a shit load of time. I felt like I had him down to !/4 of his life rather quickly, but that last bar just wouldn't go down! Blind and silence for Godlike. Oh, and I get no reward either, the damn lady just upped and vanished. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

~

Game is fun, story is good so far. Characters are...there. it seems no one really has much to say about themselves except Balthier, who if I hadn't mentioned before is bad ass.

I can understand why no one likes Vaan. I mean, in every other FF you get some sort of person who has some importance to the story. Cecil, Cloud, terra, ext. This guy, is just some brother of some dead knight who sorta resembles the guy who Ashe married, but had also died.

anyways, I'm killing chocobos now. It's about time I get to slaughter these damn birds!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: December 26, 2009, 05:44:21 PM »
Vaan is a Gameplay Main Character only, really, by which I mean he's the guy running around in towns.  Apparently, FF12 initially was suppose to be like FF6 where the "Main" was whoever the party leader was at the moment (so in FF12's case, that'd be the character you were controlling), but it never quite panned out.  Seen screenshots showing the intent of making others be able to do that, like it showed Ashe and Basch running around in towns.  Or maybe this was from ZIJS and they changed it there?

Still...from a storyline perspective, Vaan really isn't a main.  He's not even the game's narrator (Ondore is.)  As you said, he's just kind of there; the game kick starts with him, but as others pop in, he gets less important and never really gains importance again barring some really forced scenes (like atop Pharos.)  THEN AGAIN, the story was initially written to be Basch's from what I recall...

...yeah, Vaan's a shitty main character for that reason.  While I don't hate him as a character, egads does he really fail it up as a Main, and only really counts from a gameplay perspective at best, cause he certainly isn't a Point of View character (contrast Vaan to Tidus, and you'll see what I mean), or a Plot Focal character (you covered this well enough.)  Its really hard to say "FF12 is about Vaan" and actually support it.

Granted, Revenant Wings exists and he's *gasp* A GENUINE PROTAGONIST THERE!  But that's a spin off/sequel <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: December 26, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
So Niu, when is XS13 coming to the US?

SO3- Done! Well, for now. I need to play with the game a bunch and fiddle with it to figure it out DL wise (Which means time to harass Dhyer).

You could harass me!  Surely my views are standard for everyone!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: December 26, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »
Vaan was shoehorned in at the last minute, the original main character was Basch but Japanese gamers reacted poorly to him.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: December 26, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
So they liked someone who has no character development, looks like a scary version of the gerber baby gone wrong, and has a horrible fashion sense?

Seriously?

~

Also, what the fuck is up with the Japanese infatuation with male midrift?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: December 26, 2009, 07:56:26 PM »
LFT:  C1 done.  Finally.

Miluda 2 fell to status just the same as her first fight, and Weigraf shared her fate.  

Algus, however, was a fucking bitch.  See, I have a setup that's very focused on magic.  And attack magic sucks early.  So, the only characters that could really deal damage were my thief and wizard.  And they dealt <30 against Algus.  

You kinda see where this is going.  Fuck Autopotion.

Try a couple times to status everyone out and it doesn't work (2 resets).  Gotta change the strategy.  I swap Delita over to Knight and keep him alive/allow the game to revive him for me until he takes care of the enemy Wizards.  Poison and Haste become very, very necessary afterwards, but still I kept getting owned by Super and Algus even though the rest of the knights were effectively harmless.  One more reset, and I decide to try stealing their weapons since nobody has enough JP to get a break skill.

Holy crap 50% steal rates are SWEET.  Anyway, it took a couple of resets due to random variance but once I took away their bows it became a matter of running away, charming when I could and hoping for the best.  In the end, Ramza accumulated enough to do damage with his staff and he and my thief finished the battle.

I seriously need to change my gameplan.  Not having any damage is getting pretty frustrating.  But what class should I play with in this bizarro-tactics world?  Signs are pointing to Knight since breaks are now 100%.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6396 on: December 26, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »
So they liked someone who has no character development, looks like a scary version of the gerber baby gone wrong, and has a horrible fashion sense?

Seriously?

~

Their poor reaction to Basch may have resulted from his manly, Chuck Norris-like beard, which Asians consider a sign of dominance and rightfully fear. But really, the Japanese gaming community are all turning retarded at a frighteningly quick rate. I can't explain it any better than that.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: December 26, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
SO3 ranks, which I'm batting around here.

Assumptions- No CoT skills or berserk.

Fayt- Middle. Relies entirely on fairly quick status from Dimension door. Block this and he is fucked. He's as much a DL letdown as he is in game. Everything else (MP busting) is just a side show.

Sophia- Low Middle. Some buffing and status, but she's not fast and she sure as shit isn't durable. If she can get protect/reflection off and live she's okay, but that takes time and her healing isn't close to full. Weird fighter, really needs more damage.

Peppita- Heavy. Obnoxious status whore with damage.  I don't have a ton of respect for the coutners or healing, but she's good enough as is at giving fighters trouble with counters. She did deserve that loss to Poco and probably a loss to Yang as well; and she really wishes she was more than average at anything related to speed or damage.

Cliff- Low Heavy- Durable above average speed 2HKO. MP busting means you can't heal past it and he has some options to fight status. DL doesn't punish him for his really awful MP, which he appreciates.

Mirage- High Middle. Utterly average except for some okay MP busting and Elemental leather.

Roger- Low Light. Can't outslug Malak in spite of being a fighter. Says it all there.

Maria- Middle- Is like Fayt, but trades speed for elemental leather. I'm not sure it's a winning trade, and both need to downgrade. Holy shit she probably robbed Barubary, that is sad.

Nel- Heavy- Above average speed 2HKO with a hard to block status available. Healing/elemental leather helps some too.

Albel- Heavy. Aura Wall is accurate confusion and SO3 confusion is really nasty. Vampiric Flash is full healing as well. That is literally all Albel has to offer. He's a solid to good heavy who thanks god that Aura Wall exists to prevent the Slades of the DL from kicking his ass around the block.

Adray- High Middle. He nearly OHKOs MP in a single turn and has a couple of really badass anti magic options. Mages fear him. Fighters have problems with the status, but his lack of speed and his not so hot Pdefense hold him back there.

------

Don't think I'll do the CoT, but glad to finish it. Need to refight luther too.
-------------------

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: December 26, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

Seriously?

~

I'm not so sure they liked Vaan. Rush job that he was, I wouldn't be surprised if he was received badly - I mean, a lot of asians seem to be growing bitter towards square.

I just know they hated Basch, and we had to suffer for it.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: December 26, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »
I finished Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box and it was enjoyable just like the last game. It was probably slightly better as the game had a wider variety of locations and I found Folsense to be more interesting than the village from the first game. I want to say the music was better too. Overall good stuff although it is hurt by having a lot of puzzles that are similar to the first game's.

WAoO: Started this up and have gotten all 3 of the skills from the master in the first area and I'm about to go into Flora's castle. The game is very interesting and the combat is a lot deeper than you'd expect even when you only have 1 or 2 skills. Also the game is very pretty.