Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676074 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #6400 on: December 26, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
2. Snow must die
6. Snow must die
9. Snow must die
11. Snow must die

<3?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: December 26, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »
So they liked someone who has no character development, looks like a scary version of the gerber baby gone wrong, and has a horrible fashion sense?

Seriously?

~

Also, what the fuck is up with the Japanese infatuation with male midrift?

To be more accurate...

Vaan was ALWAYS going to be in the game...but as a supporting role.  Like, some kid who Basch takes under his wing?  Some shit like that.  He was suppose to have more development as well, probably some "He matures" nonsense.  However, the reaction to having Basch as a main forced them to alter shit and then FF12 was nailed by its plot being incomplete and uh...yeah...

...in the end, Ashe ends up being the only character who, from a storyline perspective, can be considered the Main Character.

Seriously, Basch would have been awesome as a main, if only cause, shockingly, he'd be something unique by jRPG standards.  A 35 year old War Vet, former hero, as a main is not something we've seen like...ever.  He'd have completely different style of development and personality, exactly what is needed to break the trend of jRPG mains.  Instead, however, whiner fans who run off the idea that CHANGE IS BAD basically demanded a more typical jRPG main, and thus, we got Vaan., and he's a total half assed job...and that's being nice.  This would also explain why some series refuse to change stupid concepts like, say, SMT and DQs love for SILENT PROTAGONISTS.

Branching from that, that's one of the reasons Yuri Lowell is awesome.  He's very A-typical a jRPG main.  As a CHARACTER, we've seen people akin to him, but they're almost always supporting characters.  The fact that ToV had the balls to make him the main over the more tropetastic ones like Karol and Flynn makes him that much more awesome.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: December 27, 2009, 03:52:06 AM »
2. Snow must die
6. Snow must die
9. Snow must die
11. Snow must die

<3?

Not you

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
Avernum 5: Just reached Tranquility. Levels are about... 14? 15? Not super high. But good enough, the traits are worth having. Nicked the Ceremonial items from the Fang Claw Village challenge via a glitch, thank goodness. Nephil Warblade is broken, it replaced Reona's Waveblade which is currently not being used as it does not give much benefit other than a 4 maximum damage advantage over the Warblade. Actually that's all it's got going for it really. Nephil Warblade gives +4 DEX and +4 STR, as well as a 75% Fatigue cut. This knocks Reona's STR off the charts, and she regularly 2HKOs things with it alone. Slardar can compare but only because polearms are superior weapons to shortswords and the like. Naias nukes things easily as usual. I shall be going to Solberg's Tower eventually...

Geneforge 5: Playing a Sorceress this time around, first run I was using a Shock Trooper. I'm playing on Torment, the hardest difficulty. And it is hard. Things regularly OHKO to 3HKO you and can move extremely far with their AP, also your creations can either get OHKOd or 2HKOd. Except thahds, but they're thahds. I've... barely started, just in the Promenade. Doing stuff.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6405 on: December 27, 2009, 04:38:26 PM »
Onimusha 3 Abridged:

Episode 2: Too Awesome To Have Its Own Title!May not be awesome at all

Narrator: When we last left our hero...that is, the European one...whose currently in Japan...speaking English...with the past version of our OTHER hero...
Jacques: Ok, you've confused the audience enough, can we please get on with the game?
Narrator: Right right! He found a wrist watch...in feudal Japan...and went to go find its origins!
Jacques: Clearly, we must split up cause that's what we heroes do!
Samonosuke: Agreed! You do all the work while I become useless as an NPC!
Jacques: Sounds like a plan!
*they do exactly that, Jacques enters a random house*
Jacques: Hi there, do you recognize this WESTERN OBJECT?
Merchant: no.
Jacques: Ah, good, where did you get it?
Merchant: ...did you listen to me?
Jacques: No, no I did not, mostly cause I KNOW you saw it.
Merchant: OUT!!!!
Jacques: What?
Merchant: OUT!!!!!!!!!!
Jacques: But I just wanna....
Merchant: OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jacques:*gets pushed out the door*  As if that's going to stop me! *door is locked* ...it seems he is smarter than I thought.  I need to get back in there...oh hey, an open window! Now if only I could get up there...
Kid: Hey Mister! There's this cool glowing thing in this barrel over here! Can you get me one of those sweet green things and I'll trade you for it?
Jacques: Uh, ok...
*goes to the Watermelon stand*
Jacques: GIVE ME A WATERMELON OR I'LL BE FORCED TO TALK IN FRENCH!
Watermelon Guy: EEK! Here you go!
Jacques: Thank you good sir; here, take this wristwatch!  You want it cause its from the west!
Watermelon Guy: SWEET!
*Jacques makes the exchange, uses his whip to get up on the beetle to the roof, gets inside*
Merchant: Why do we have to trade with the east?
Boss Dude: Cause they give us awesome stuff!  That and Nobunaga said so.
Merchant: Oh, right, him.  Fine, lets put this stuff on a ship and get out of here.
Boss Dude: HEY! I call the shots here.
Jacques: The plot thickens...say, what's that weird artifact-*random LIGHTNING SWORDCHUCKS appear in Jacques hand* Holy crap, where did this thing come from?  And where did this random file about a boat by some guy named Guildenstern come from?
Samanosuke: Ah, what did you find?
Jacques: This.
Samanosuke: *reads* ...Guildenstern's at it again, whelp, time to get beat him down.
Jacques: Whose he?
Samanosuke: Genma researcher.
Jacques: Why's he named after a Hamlet character if this is Japan?
Samanosuke: Cause he's actually Skeletor.
Jacques: ...I see...well, we best go stop him!
Samanosuke: Agreed!
*lots of demons appear in the town...ok, they were there a few lines back, but hush*
Jacques: Time to try my new weapon out! *He kicks some ass with it, they get to the boat*
Random Samurai Dude: HA! My name is HAIHACHIRO HONDA! BEHOLD MY POINTED STICK!
Samanosuke: Uh...ok, so we have to fight you?
Honda: Ah, but I am one of Nobunaga's most trusted disciples, YOU CANNOT BEAT ME!
Jacques: We have you out numbered two to one...
Honda: I AM THE GREATEST SAMURAI IN JAPAN!
Samanosuke: And we're holding Oni Gauntlets of power, and magical weapons to match...
Honda: MY WEAPON GLOWS FIERCE!
Jacques: Not to mention I'm french...
Honda: ...on second though, I'm outta here.  WE SHALL MEET AGAIN!
Jacques: What the hell just happened?
Samanosuke: I don't know...what I do know is the SHIP IS LEAVING!
Jacques: Hey! Its my motorcycle!  What's it doing here?  ....wait, don't answer that.  Now I have an idea!  I'll just...wait, where's my keys? WHERE'S MY GOD DAMN KEYS!?
Ako: Here they are!
Jacques: Ah, thanks, and...wait, how'd you get these?
Ako: Well, you see...
*flashback to 5 minutes ago...and 500 years in the future...*
Henri: *at his laptop* FATHER NEEDS MY HELP! *runs to grab his motorcycle keys*
Michelle: Huh? Is something wrong Henri?
Ako: Here I am!
Henri: Here, take these to dad!
Ako: Ok!
*flash back to Henri*
Jacques: Note to self, give my son a raise on his allowance.  But in any event, its time to GET ON THAT SHIP!
Samanosuke: Dare I ask how you're going to use a mechanical bike to get across the ocean?
Jacques: Here's a trick I learned...FROM THE FUTURE!!! *he makes an illogically large motorcycle jump, landing on the ship.  Samanosuke was on the bike with him*
Samanosuke: Wow, you can do some amazing things with this bike!
Jacques: Yeah, no one will be able to outbad ass THIS!
*insert Devil May Cry 3's famous Motorcycle scene here*
Jacques: ...damn you Capcom...anyway, we have to chase this Guildenstern guy, eh?
Samanosuke: Yeah, but being stuck on this ship, our progress is limited to where this ship goes.  So basically...
Jacques: ...its a good time to let your future self deal with things, got it.  Ako, you know what to do!
Ako: Right!

*shift back to France*
Ako: HENRI! I got the keys to your dad! He says thank you and wants you and Michelle to get along.
Michelle: Isn't that great Henri!?
Henri: ...
*Michelle's cellphone rings*
Michelle: Hello...yeah...you don't say...really?  That's interesting.  Got it.  Ok. *looks at Samanosuke* ...its for you...
Samanosuke: Wait, someone called your...evil magical box that lets you talk to people from a distance...in an attempt to speak to ME?
Michelle: Yes.
Samanosuke: Even though I'm from 500 years in the past...and Japan no less?
Michelle: Just answer the god damn phone.
Samanosuke: *sigh* Fine...Hello?
Michelle: ...you're holding it upside down.
Samanosuke: Oh, right. Hello?
Skeletor: Greetings Samanosuke.
Samanosuke: ...hi there...evil generic demon guy.
Skeletor: Hey, is that a way to greet an old friend?
Samanosuke: We were never friends!
Skeletor: Please spare me your cheesey heroic dialog.
Samanosuke: But that's all I have!
Skeletor: Whatever, meet me at Notre Dame NOW!  Oh yeah, its not a trap!
Samanosuke: Ok. *hands phone up* I'm heading to Notre Dame, you stay here with Henri.
Michelle: Ok...wait, how do you even know where Notre Dame is?  You're from Japan 500 years ago!
Samanosuke: Because I just DO, ok?
Michelle: Whatever, I'll watch after Henri.

So Samanosuke heads off to Notre Dame!  In there, he fights MORE ZOMBIE SKELETON DEMONS! SOME WEIRD ROLLING LIZARD GUYS! As well as dealing with ROTATING BLADES! CREST PUZZLES! And the search for the sacred ROPE LADDER!

...oh yeah, he also gets a new big katana that he can swing faster than his small twin blades...

But tune in next time as Samanosuke fights the rest of...NOTRE DAME!
---

Yes, the entire abridged series, Guildenstern will be referred to as "Skeletor" if its not obvious.  I feel it is most appropriate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:52:11 PM by Meeplelard »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: December 27, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
So, here's a question that I prolly know the answer to anyways, but hey...I'm already typing!

Meep, you mention Yuri and ToV as good characters and game alike. I need to play that game for sure, but should I wait for the PS3 version (assuming it comes state side) or just go out and buy a 360 and get that copy?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: December 27, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
I have no idea if the PS3 version will make it to the states. Bamco is extremely cheap, as we all know.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: December 27, 2009, 06:08:21 PM »
There has been no word whatsoever on the PS3 version and it has been a good while since it came out. More likely to try Tales of Graces for the Wii than they are to bring over the PS3 version. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: December 28, 2009, 01:22:27 AM »
ToV is also pretty good and if you got an X-Box it is worth picking up.

Spekaing of

ToV - Third arc is god aweful.  There is going to be spoilers here. 

So we play the entire game hearing about how the end of the world is human's faults and they should be all emo and self hating about it.  They summoned the Adaphagos and all that shit and are ruining everything with Not The Industrial Revolution tm.  Then you go and recruit Gnome and it is mentioned that Entelexia that absorb to much Aer become Adaphagos and there is a throw away line about how much Estelle feels sad for all the Entelexia that became the Adaphagos.

So lets get this right.  One type of creature turn into Monsters through EXTREME SUBSTANCE ABUSE, but it is purely the humans to blame for summoning them and causing the end of the world?  Fuck. That. Shit.  Now this would have been a perfectly fine plot point if someone had fucking CALLED them on it, it would have fit into the whole world setting where the Entelexia are generally completely stuck up and aloof pricks who will throw blame around like it is nothing just like the humans do as well even though it is really everyone's fault.  No one calls them, we get yet one more throw away Estelle is the perfect princess scenes instead.  For fucks sake game you drop the ball so goddamned hard in this arc.

Also Namco thank you for once again providing a perfect example for how to not do a menu.  Your prize collection menu is sub Diablo 1 store.  Scroll to the item, buy it one at a time.  Return to the start of the menu.  It is split over two pages (thankfully in this case because it goes to the top of the menu, scrolling down 8 things just to bu one item would be infuriating) with 4 things on a page, nice use of space there guys.  Also Poker is one of the stupidest poker mini games ever.  You don't play against anyone, so wooooo video poker.  The scale of winnings vs the Double or Nothing are so out of proportion that the game stops being poker and more just Higher or Lower with a Poker hand mini-game as the price of entry. zzzzzzzzzz.  Anyway did the 10 million Gald acheivement because fuck it, they tried so hard to have a good economy in this game, I may as well just break it.

Why was I doing that?  Well because I quite frankly am more interested in doing as much side shit as I can instead of progressing the plot any more just to watch the writers soil themselves again.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #6410 on: December 28, 2009, 01:26:25 AM »
I was expecting the third arc to end with Yuri's usual solution, telling someone to jam it up their ass and then probably murdering someone in cold blood. "Oh I blame you" should have been met with "well then let's fix it, and that will probably require me and a lot of violence" not "oh you are right."

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29:50 AM »
The whole Entelexia turning thing is due to absorbing the Aer so as not to let the world literally be smothered in it. And if the final boss had continued to resist in the ending you can rest assured that Yuri's Usual Solution (TM) would have been applied (that actually would have made for a much better ending).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: December 28, 2009, 01:49:53 AM »
Yeah Entelexia do need to absorb Aer so the world isn't covered in it, they can do that just fine without absorbing so much they turn into Cthulhu (Like Gigios was doing).  If they were suffering from underpopulation to deal with the task then maybe they should have cut the shit and got down to the fucking.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: December 28, 2009, 01:52:40 AM »
Fucking is hard. It makes more sense just to get all complacent and then blame someone else.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: December 28, 2009, 04:22:44 AM »
Yeah Entelexia do need to absorb Aer so the world isn't covered in it, they can do that just fine without absorbing so much they turn into Cthulhu (Like Gigios was doing).  If they were suffering from underpopulation to deal with the task then maybe they should have cut the shit and got down to the fucking.

First, if the the earth surface is completly covered by high concentrated Aer, everything well die, Entelexia included.

Second, they are kept underpopulated by humans. The Gelyos Civilization back then literally have agendas on killing Entelexia so they can have more Abatias to make new Blastia. Seriously, Gelyos humans even killed fucking Spiral Draco, there is no Entelexia they cannot kill.
Most importantly, Entelexia cannot reproduce sexually. Individual beings involve separately into Entelexia independently depends on their affinity with the Aer. There is only is only one known case in history that Entelexia has increased in number due to sexual reproduction. (Which is Chrome)

So yes, Entelexia have every single right to blame human. Humans killed them to make these tools that'll eventually destroy earth, and Entelexia have no choice but turn into monsters if they try to stop the Earth from turning into wasteland.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: December 28, 2009, 05:31:20 AM »
First, if the the earth surface is completly covered by high concentrated Aer, everything well die, Entelexia included.

Duh, otherwise they would have a simple solution to the apparent problem.

Second, they are kept underpopulated by humans. The Gelyos Civilization back then literally have agendas on killing Entelexia so they can have more Abatias to make new Blastia. Seriously, Gelyos humans even killed fucking Spiral Draco, there is no Entelexia they cannot kill.
Most importantly, Entelexia cannot reproduce sexually. Individual beings involve separately into Entelexia independently depends on their affinity with the Aer. There is only is only one known case in history that Entelexia has increased in number due to sexual reproduction. (Which is Chrome)

So yes, Entelexia have every single right to blame human. Humans killed them to make these tools that'll eventually destroy earth, and Entelexia have no choice but turn into monsters if they try to stop the Earth from turning into wasteland.

People actively trying to kill the Entelexia because they are used to produce Blastia is implied.  Everything else hasn't been in the game so far. 

Also how the fuck does that even work?  They are complex organic beings that reproduce asexually?  If so how can there be a single case of sexual reproduction then?  They can't accelerate the way this happens?  I thought they were supposed to be a species that evolved to adapt to their environments (ie they should either be able to over multiple generations increase their tolerance for Aer/Metabolise it quicker/BREED FASTER). 

And again, we have a race of sentient creatures that can't talk with people?  So humans in the past were a serious issue, but now the evil evil humans are almost universally prepared to deal with them and work with them because the world is in danger and the humans know what is going on.  No, I don't fucking buy it.  Why are humans so amazingly susceptible to change now that they weren't 1000 years ago after they had just fought off the Adephagos and setup a regime to keep Blastia use under control?  You spend like 3/4 of the fucking game trying to get a straight answer from the fuckers about what is going on and you know what?  They never do until they have been beaten into submission either physically or verbally.  They spend the entire game being evasive, arrogant and just generally unhelpful like a bunch of fucking teenagers (Irony being the most useful one is the youngest).

To say that it is humans that made them overeat and turn into big fat space monsters is like blaming a baker for making a cake that you ate.  Sure if you don't eat it the world is going to be full of cakes and everyone will die, but you didn't have to eat the whole fucking thing.  You could have had kids and fed it to them instead (THIS IS A JOKE DO NOT RESPOND TO IT SERIOUSLY).

They have no damned right to blame fucking anyone, they are an unhelpful, uncommunicative and entirely indecisive pack of twats.  They should have sorted that shit out 1000 years ago or called people on starting to break pacts 900 years ago or gone and destroyed the empire 800 years ago, fucking anything but sitting on their hands and eating giant amounts of Aer.  If they maintained close relationships with humans then people might be less inclined to putting them through a giant thresher to make something more useful out of them than giant flying whiny bitches.  Or you know engage in some kind of breeding program or research.  If fucking worked once then I dunno, try finding out why it worked for someone?  How you can induce whatever situation it requires for a new Entelexia to be spawned?  Do something to stop the threat of your civilisation turning into Giant Space Monsters that want to tentacle rape the entire planet.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #6416 on: December 28, 2009, 05:54:14 AM »
Eh, it makes sense really.  Entelexia are giant monster-like creatures that drop invaluable treasure when killed, so humans hunt the shit out of them if they happen to have massive brass balls.  Consequently, Entelexia completely distrust and hate humans even without the whole massive environmental damage.  They just barely pull their shit together to take out the world destroying tentacle monster, then get complacent with it gone and go back to glaring at each other for a thousand years.  So basically it is the cold war.

Doesn't really make it less stupid, just y'know, people really are that stupid and some writers are against (or aren't creative enough to) making their stories smarter than real life.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: December 28, 2009, 07:07:27 AM »
How the shit would the an apex predator reproduce asexually? That makes absolutely zero sense. You'd be outadapted by prey species before you discovered the mysteries of shoes and all starve. Does Bamco even get that there's a reason we don't reproduce by budding new people out of cysts on our backs? Things that do it are dead-ends.

Every time Niu explains some obscure shit like this, it just kind of ruins games a little bit because I get to see the retarded thought processes of the scenario designers. No wonder Japan loses market share every year.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: December 28, 2009, 08:11:33 AM »
Entelexias is not a "specie". Phero is not in the same specie as Belias, and Belias is not the same specie as Chrome. They are all different species, evolved speratedly into Entelexias base off their own affinity with Aer.
And no, they don't reproduce asexually either, who say they did? Don't put words into my mouth. They don't "reproduce" at all.
Entelexias are always "evolved into" later in life by creatures who are lucky enough to attain a high level of Aer affinity.
Even you have two Entelexia parents, the child is not naturally going to be one. The level of affinity with Aer that makes a creature Entelexia is always acquired after birth.

And why Entelexia didn't out right kill human earlier?
They did, but Elucifer stand out and stopped them.
Plus, the empire did obey the pact religiously for past 990 years until the Hermes Type got abused thanks to Alexei, and Entelexia did react immediately by trying to wipe the empire out. And they could have succeed at doing it if Elucifer didn't interfere.

And why didn't Entelexia help human to fix the problem?
Elucifer did, but got brutally killed instead. And I doubt he is the only human friendly Entelexia that met this fate. Oh, and thanks to this, Chrome, Elucifer's daughter isn't going to help human too.

BTW, you can't blame Phero for being a prick, he was around back in Gelyos era, his attitude is only natural after he lived through that.

Also, the cake analogy doesn't work. Almost everyone can eat cake, but not everyone can eat Aer. Their choice is either 1. We don't eat anything and everyone dies together. 2. We shall overeat and turn into monsters with a chance that someone else might made through it alive.
I think they already made a pretty selfless choice.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: December 28, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
And no, they don't reproduce asexually either, who say they did? Don't put words into my mouth.

You did. Right here.

Most importantly, Entelexia cannot reproduce sexually.

It's grammar time. If you do not reproduce by passing genetic material to someone else and combining gametes ("sexually") you reproduce asexually. The prefix a- means, in this case, "without," as in you reproduce without sex. The Entelexia reproduce asexually, in your own words.

That said, there's a very good reason all complex organisms, even trees and shit, reproduce sexually. Any species that doesn't reproduce by exchanging genes between organisms is a stagnant species, and that usually means a dying species. Doing it any other way is just goofy. If they wanted to artificially limit the number of Entelexia that existed, they could have used a genophage or just had them not have any surviving females.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6420 on: December 28, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
When did saying something can't reproduce sexually means they reproduce asexually?

They certainly have sexual reproduction function, just their kids aren't going to be an Entelexia. That's why say Entelexia can't be reproduced sexually. The trait of being to become an Entelexia does not pass on genetically.

And you are correct that Entelexia is a dying specie. Because every Entelexia is their own specie, each one of them evolved independently, aka no Entelexia share a same evolution tree, each one of them is one of a kind.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 09:21:11 AM by Niu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: December 28, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
So.... what exactly is the offspring of 2 Entelexia if it isn't one?  Do they birth humans or ... what?  This really isn't making much sense at all.  Entelexia are Bodhisattva?  It is a sense of being in tune with the Aer? 

Also of course the cake analogy didn't work, it was a joke which is why I said so.  This would be the time where a smiley would be appropriate, but I am not going to do that.

And yeah CK, the response is understandable, it is all very human.  But that doesn't make it right or the whole thing justified, it is the whole damned reason I am shitty with the game for just rolling over and accepting that oh yeah this is totally all the humans fault that Entelexia turned into a giant world threatening tentacle monster in space.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: December 28, 2009, 01:44:54 PM »
Super - If you're not assuming Berserk then no Albel gets no hype for Vampiric Flash, it's a spammable that requires holding down the button for extra hits the number of which is significantly lowered with no Berserk.

Peppita easily counters base physicals directly in front of the enemy (as does her AI so yeah) That's all the respect she needs for the DL. So yeah I disagree on the Yang thing, her short O counter has a long enough frame to avoid his physical. The added chaos effect of the counters on susceptible enemies is nice too though I think Yang resists that. Poco deserves his win vs SO3 fighters though yeah. I feel a lot better about that now and hey he's CT bait anyway =-)

I mostly agree with super on his review score of SO3, the reason I rate it higher is because I enjoy the battle system, the different character/team combinations, the extra dungeon/stuffs and replay value so much =-)

Nama - We took Nel but Adray was too manly not to score a place in the final team, Maria was doing her job on AI and I'd rather deal with Power Dance than mass IC >.> Plus super wanted to end up with something different than Maria/Nel/Peppita I think since three or more DL peeps have already used that team =P Actually I really, really wanted to take Albel to show off the Aura Wall with Faerie Friend team combo but super said no! (and then we ended up not using the first optional we took anyway baaad super~)

*is innocent* ^_^
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 02:14:18 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: December 28, 2009, 05:16:08 PM »
With the exception of Alexei's "...oh shit, I fucked up BIG TIME and was COMPLETELY WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING" reaction that leads into Part 3, I think we can safely agree that Part 3 is completely worthless to ToV's plot, as its paper clipped on...poorly...and mostly exists just cause Namco doesn't know how to make things short, likes to stretch things out, and why not throw in the elemental spirits just for shits!?!?!?

...much as I like ToV, I'm seriously struggling to think of something GOOD that came out of the 3rd section.  Well, the Yuri/Flynn duel was there...but that could have been placed anywhere, so long as it was shortly before the final dungeon, so I really don't think that counts.

That said...

Blue Dragon: In the Prison, reunited with everyone...except Kluke, cause as jRPG stereotypes demand, the young "attractive" female must always be separated from the rest of the group even if there is absolutely nothing special about her relative to the rest of the team!  Seriously, I'm curious as to what the excuse Blue Dragon has for separating Kluke from the other 4 here is, cause at least other Female Leads were SPESHUL relative to the team when this happens, but Kluke is just a generic village girl whose the daughter of two doctors (apparently inheriting their talent in medicine), and is friends with Jiro and Shu, and shares the same powers due to eating a large crystal ball.

...wait, I think I know!  Nene is clearly dying of Cancer and he's going to force Kluke to come up with a cure cause she's the most qualified person in this world!  If the answer is something like that, that WOULD be awesome!

...that, or Nene's just a sick old man and his options for reproducing are Kluke and Zola, and Zola being the team's "Strong Guy" and Kluke being the "Chick", its pretty obvious who he'd go after.
(...wait, did I just imply Marumaro is the Lancer?)

The answer better be one of these two, or something that is totally coincidental like "she was separated cause I'm going to kill you all, but can only do it one at a time, so I chose her first cause I SAID SO" cause if they try to rationally explain it in a standard jRPG sense ("she's speshul!") I will be pissed, cause no, Kluke is NOT special, at least not relative to the other 4 (she's not even the only female too!)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: December 28, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
You said it yourself Meep. "Kluke is special"

Remember that. Now just continue playing...