Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676367 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #550 on: February 06, 2009, 04:39:41 AM »
Well, DoS helped Black Mage out by giving it a firm MP Advantage over Red Mage (which does slowly die off), as well as making Int Matter, so there's an actual NOTICEABLE difference in Black Magic from a Black Mage than one from a Red Mage (Red Mage often won't OHKO groups with weaknesses, Black Mage often does.)

...admittedly, Dawn of Souls is so easy you end up not caring, so go figure, Black Mage is finally made non suck, and it doesn't even matter.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #551 on: February 06, 2009, 04:57:50 AM »
And how many fantasy novels wouldn't be exactly that if you gave them mechanics and let someone control the main?

The good ones, mostly. There's a difference between "exploration" and "GATHER PHAT LOOT!" that a lot of authors don't understand.

LOL at 'good' fantasy novels. If it can be classified as 'good', is it really still a fantasy novel?

I will concede that there's possibly one or two, but the vast majority of fantasy novels don't really rise above even the plots of jRPGs.

I think we already got in to this territory once, and it ended with you saying "I like shit and I am proud of it."

Anyway, the Dark Tower is a fantasy novel. It's kind of what I was talking about.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #552 on: February 06, 2009, 05:09:52 AM »
And how many fantasy novels wouldn't be exactly that if you gave them mechanics and let someone control the main?

The good ones, mostly. There's a difference between "exploration" and "GATHER PHAT LOOT!" that a lot of authors don't understand.

LOL at 'good' fantasy novels. If it can be classified as 'good', is it really still a fantasy novel?

I will concede that there's possibly one or two, but the vast majority of fantasy novels don't really rise above even the plots of jRPGs.

I think we already got in to this territory once, and it ended with you saying "I like shit and I am proud of it."

Just because I like something doesn't mean I consider it to be objectively good. I don't see why you're trying to confuse the issue. I'm not even claiming that I don't like fantasy novels like your Dark Tower example. Still LOL at them being considered 'good', though.

-Djinn

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:44 AM »
L4D-Beat my first campaign on Expert the other day. I also got All 4 Dead tonight, which was the last Infected Achievement I needed and leaves just 6 achivements to go! Think I'm gonna focus on Expert Campaigns to get the achivement for beating all of them, then...I dunno, try and get a group interested in going for The Untouchables before they fix the Jesus Room glitch.

Zombie Kill Count: 46,000

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 05:17:27 AM by AAA »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #554 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:28 AM »
Best greeting cards I've seen since "Merry X-Mas from Japan, the only country where the meaning has been more brutally raped than in America."

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 06, 2009, 05:29:30 AM »

Just because I like something doesn't mean I consider it to be objectively good. I don't see why you're trying to confuse the issue. I'm not even claiming that I don't like fantasy novels like your Dark Tower example. Still LOL at them being considered 'good', though.

-Djinn
The only blanket statement that isn't doomed to be worthless is that all blanket statements are doomed to be worthless.

Even if there's no 'good' fantasy novels as you see it, whatever criteria you judge that by, there either has to be the potential for them or you just hate the genre, one.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 06, 2009, 05:44:31 AM »
Sonic Rush is disappointing so far.  It feels like a tech demo for the DS and the bosses are pushovers.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #557 on: February 06, 2009, 05:56:15 AM »
The only blanket statement that isn't doomed to be worthless is that all blanket statements are doomed to be worthless.

Even if there's no 'good' fantasy novels as you see it, whatever criteria you judge that by, there either has to be the potential for them or you just hate the genre, one.

I don't hate the genre. And of course there's the potential for good, but the majority of fantasy novels fall into the same kinds of tropes as jRPGs, and I don't see anyone jumping in to stop people from making blanket statements about the quality of jRPGs...

Even the ones I like, Narnia for example, aren't exactly the pinnacle of good storytelling. "Preachy thinly-veiled religious metaphor"? Narnia... or Grandia II? Seriously, I am not the only person making blanket statements here. Sure, the world of Lord of the Rings was incredibly creative from a mechanics standpoint, but Tolkien's writing is still dry. The Dark Tower was a fun jumble of ideas, but the story really needed more planning as there were a lot of loose ends that felt like they were stuck together with bubblegum instead of properly tied up.

Enjoyable, and probably the best I've seen from the genre.

But let's pretend I was talking about authors like Mercedes Lackey, RA Salvatore, and Tamora Pierce (and their thousands of clones) who make up 95% of the genre that gets published in America when I was comparing fantasy novels to JRPG storylines.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 06, 2009, 06:05:50 AM »

-Djinn

I dunno, 'Djinn's opinion never counts' is looking pretty worthwhile right about now.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 06, 2009, 06:14:19 AM »
SRW: AG

Things are dying at a record setting pace.

I should start upgrading units attacks now. Most all my team comes stacked with alert+strike+focus+valor combo.

Max and Kamille are my berserkers. They rush into the mouth of the center of the enemies and soften them up. Usually the boss' can't even touch them un-focused. Max got Love, so that makes him a support unit to boot!

Trowa is my long range whore. He is also the highest leveled real robot. Gave him that item that gives him even more range. Now if only he had snipe instead of that worthless detonate, he'd be solid in every aspect.

The Combat team and J9 my super robots of choice. Both units have basically every spirit power I would need and boast 4+ magic users each!

Amuro, Jamil, Garrod+Para, Char, Kou, Banjou, Judeau, Heero are all fillers who make things dead.

I'm on Map 30 and should have this game finished by the time FE comes out. That is my goal at least.

Oh, I do plan to replay this game and go through the other routes eventually. Well, I guess I should worry about beating the game before dwelling on that stuff.

~

Semi related note: They soooooooooooo need to throw Transformers up into the mix. How more Super can you GET!?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #560 on: February 06, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
I dunno, 'Djinn's opinion never counts' is looking pretty worthwhile right about now.

...Fuck. Off.

Seriously, that's pretty bitchy of you to make a comment like that. If you have a problem with my statement, fine. State it.

But a personal attack where you feel it's okay to just discount anything I say... that's really closed-minded and goes against discussion of any kind.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:32:53 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 06, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »

Quote from: hinode

loooooooooooooool

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 06, 2009, 06:51:59 AM »
NBA 2k9:
Well, it took three whole seasons to make the Minnesota Timberwolves into a championship team. Finals MVP? KEVIN LOVE. That sound you're hearing is the collective screaming of the souls of the Something Awful SAS board.

Well, I decided I'd quit after one championship, because I really set that team up very well. They have a full roster, something like 10 mill in cap room with more off the books next year, more than enough to sign Love AND Simon, who are both 90+ players. I have 4 young players on at least 2 year contracts and the lowest potential of the bunch of them is a B, which is enough to get someone into the 90s with some aggressive training. I came into a wrecked Franchise, and turned it into a perennial Championship contender. And it should bloody well stay that way unless the computer fucks it up.

Speaking of things the computer fucked up, my team for the '11-'12 season is the Utah Jazz. My roster is.... .....
My best player is Deron Williams, one of the best players in the league in both real life, and this game, with a base rating of an impressive-as-hell 96. His contract is up after this year, but my plan is to throw max money at him, because... well....
My SECOND best player is Sasha Vujacic. Now, I'm a big fan of Vujacic, but... when he's the second best player on your team.......
;_;

On the lighter side of things, Vince Carter is once again on the Toronto Raptors. God, I love this game sometimes.

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 06, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »

...Fuck. Off.

loooooooooooooool

Why do *I* get the reputation as the one with the short temper...?

._.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: February 06, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
Because you have one?  It might not break often, but it happens.

I feel like I should have been in this conversation but I have no idea which side I should have been on.  This developed personal way faster than it should have though.  There wasn't even any real definition of what is "good" or "fantasy" or anything.

You guys suck at boring arguments without me.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 06, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »
I feel like I should have been in this conversation but I have no idea which side I should have been on.  This developed personal way faster than it should have though.  There wasn't even any real definition of what is "good" or "fantasy" or anything.

You guys suck at boring arguments without me.

Eh. Skip it.  Arguments about the worth of a genre are pointless, broadly speaking.  Either you define good in absolute terms, and then start sniping the weakest links of it (of which there are, in every genre, many) or you define it relative to the genre and get in a catfight based on taste.

Now, that all could make an interesting conversation, but it looks like here isn't the place for it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 06, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
Yeah obviously, no one else is boring enough to discuss cool semantics like me.  It was bad enough I didn't even say anything of substance on the topic.  Just made jokes instead.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 06, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
FF1: Item-casting >>> the second half of the game. Just got the last dungeon left now. This replay has provoked several reactions, none of which are new sentiments, but which nonetheless bear repeating:

-Allowing your player to get caught in random encounters two steps in a row is a crime and perpetrators should be drawn and quartered.

-If I never see the phrase "Enemy strikes first!" again, it'll still be too soon.

-The next time I express the inclination to slog through an old-school grindfest, please shoot me.

Bleh. Feel like I will need to race through something awesome like Portal afterwards just to rinse the fail from my mind.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 06, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
Speaking of awesome, my copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete just arrived.

>SQUEEE<

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 06, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
FE6 - Chapter 9 completed, finishing the trio of ungodly good bosses.  So far Fir hasn't been impressing, with her general lack of Speed growth, but starts off competant enough that this shouldn't be too much of an issue.  And life will be better as soon as she's able to start supporting with Rutger.  Lillina, on the other hand, is rocking out with most of her levels being 4/5 point ones.  Lvl 8 and hasn't missed a point of Magic yet.  Also has 5 Def and 9 Spd, making her significantly good, and getting her a spot on the main team.

As for chapter MVPs, mostly this is for the ability to deal with the boss.

Ch8 was Dieck, mostly because he was accurate with the Armourslayer.
Ch8x was Lugh.  Dieck's 62% accuracy saw him missing half a dozen times in a row, while Lugh's 7 Def saw him surviving two Hand Axe hits so he could consistantly landing his 57% accuracy Fire spells.  Dieck finally finished things off with his first hit being a crit, but it sure took him long enough.
Ch9 was Dieck.  Mostly because no one else could survive a Hand Axe crit, and without save states, I'm not going to be reckless with a boss after the fantastic Dieck/Sue/Lilina levels I had been getting.  So encourage Scott to pull out the hand axe, then have Dieck run up with the Killer Sword, then have the mounted units pull him out of there.

Got the house that wasn't to the northeast, so I'm taking the Echidna route instead of the Bartre route, and have a mildly scrubby mage as the next boss.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: February 06, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »
-The next time I express the inclination to slog through an old-school grindfest, please shoot me.

Bleh. Feel like I will need to race through something awesome like Portal afterwards just to rinse the fail from my mind.
There is nothing wrong with an old school grindfest, just pick a good one that has aged well instead of a bad one that has aged poorly.  FF1 is purely respectable from a history point of view.  Playing it now and enjoying it must be a sign of brain damage or something because some of the flaws in it are criminally bad design by more modern standards.

Play Torment.

Next time you want an old school dungeon grind fest, don't actually do one that is truely old school (well kind of) and play Temple of Elemental Evil by Troika (Based on the old school dungeon crawl module)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 06, 2009, 10:25:26 PM »
I wanted my two cents without crowding up the topic. So here. Enlarge it if you want to see.

Honest to God, the distinction between genres, and, really, the general feeling of superiority that certain people seem to lord over speculative fiction for god knows what reason, is absolute bullshit. Absolute, unmitigated, unquestionable bullshit. As a writer who likes fantasy, everytime I hear the general breakdown of science fiction or fantasy in some snobby "oh I am so far beyond that garbage" tone, I really wish I could cram copy of Waiting for Godot down their gullets and let them choke on that for a moment.

Look. Define this shit as you want, but the fact is that genre boils down to a collection of aesthetics/tropes/stylistic choices that ultimately define the general categorical sense of belonging. That is, ultimately, the difference between genres. That's all. The problem, of course, is that people have taken this one step further and feel the need to categorically sequester the "bad stuff" off in the corner under the label of science fiction or fantasy, while cherry picking other material to label as literature.

This is shit, and its frustrating, because it establishes this ridiculous bias against speculative fiction writers, and it is continuously perpetuated by the idea that the speculative fiction genre is for the "bad stuff."

You know what? If you want to talk about the bad stuff, talk about the fucking bad stuff. No, I'm not going to pretend you are simply talking about the bad stuff, because you presented your argument in a generally shitty and insulting way (hey, there might be one or two good fantasy novels, whatever!). I am tired of this sort of crap, where my ability as a writer is demeaned due to the aesthetics and such I choose to use in my writing. You wonder why this pisses me off to such a degree? Because I'm tired of the generalized sneers I get when I say I write fantasy. There's a lot of unnecessary elitism about the whole damn thing, and it annoys me to no end.

What I think really ticked me off about Djinn's statement is that the lack of any sort of context made the entire argument particularly irksome. You set this basic distinction of "good" without really doing anything to quantify what it actually is. This is slap worthy, in my obviously humble opinion, because it directly and thoughtlessly demeans the efforts of a lot of very talented individuals who have a lot of skill.

What this shit boils down to is that you should not make stupid blanket statements, you should take a minute to actually define your own terminology to avoid setting up various sorts of false assumptions and you should actually spell out your grievances so that there can be actual discussion instead of shooting your mouth off with oh-so-fun and quippy jabs.

In other words, don't be a fucking genre elitist.

Now onto other things.

Breath of Fire, Dragon Quarter: Restarted yesterday. After a slight flub at the end of the first dungeon (ran out of healing items and got killed by the Duke Leader when he presented Bosch with an unexpected counter), I've been sailing pretty smoothly. Up to the BioCorps lab.

Resident Evil 5 Demo: Silly fun, but feels worse in nearly every aspect than RE4. It just doesn't play quite as fluidly. We'll see how it develops.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:30:03 PM by AndrewRogue »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 06, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Well fuck it, I was going to post in your other topic because it was actually interesting man.  Then you deleted it and moved the whole thing in here.  Seemed like a good idea to me.  I guess I will make it tiny like all the nerdy kids?  Opening joke stays in big.

I disagree entirely with you Andy, everything there was a well thought out argument and I am afraid well thought out arguments are just plain bad.

But seriously, yeah I pretty much have to agree (Except that Fantasy and Sci Fi do have a tendency to suck, but that comes from the fact that they are built upon tropes that make for easy Mary Sue essentially).  I like fantasy and I generally preface it by saying that I am aware that most of it sucks and there isn't really a great deal of honest to god good books in there.  There is some good stories and stuff, but when you get down to the nitty gritty some of it is that I just plain enjoys me some pulp (Dark Sword trilogy like all Weiss and Hickman is fun cheese, but flawed writing for example).

On the other hand you sometimes get Kim Stanley Robinson.

Some of my really favourite stuff is deliberately pulpy work by honest to god good writers who have researched the history of the genre and just love it in its entirety that they revel in it (Eddings familly I am looking in your general direction).

SO yeah milage varies.  There is plenty to be elitist about, but genre isn't really one of them.  Being able to tell good from bad is one though (which I am fairly certain you are capable of doing).

COCKSCOCKSCOCKSCOCKSCOCKS

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
Trowa is my long range whore. He is also the highest leveled real robot. Gave him that item that gives him even more range. Now if only he had snipe instead of that worthless detonate, he'd be solid in every aspect.

Snipe doesn't exist in AG. In fairness, Trowa -does- get Snipe in later SRWs, although he often doesn't need the range. >_> He was pretty solid in @2.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 06, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
Because you have one?  It might not break often, but it happens.
Oh, right.