Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 675801 times)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1000 on: February 27, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
I already beat one. Took me a bleeding 45 minutes using a bow, yeah I suck.

That actually seems understandable, using a Bow/Gun to kill Tigrex is doable, but at the beginning, you don't really get some strong bows/guns compared to, say, SnS and Katanas. You could take the cheap way out and use the Devil Slicer, but that's boring (not to mention hideously cruel!)

Just got the Devil slicer and beat the elder dragon Chameleos but failed hardcore against Lunastra. So bad in fact that the mission disappeared (Whats up with that?).
Do you know where I can get the materials for the true devil slicer?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 27, 2009, 11:42:13 PM »
Just wanna pop in and say that getting Luminaire by the Golem Twins is actually not THAT hard.  It does involve fighting like everything up til that point, as well as successfully killing those High TP Rock Freaks on Mt. Woe, but its not within realm of impossibility.

Though, getting an Ultimate Tech on any other character is definitely not reasonable (well...maybe if you used Lucca or Marle at every possible moment), so getting Triple Kick by then is a big "no" to me.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 27, 2009, 11:45:08 PM »
Yeah outside of Nu grinding you aren't likely to see it.  For the record though I have had Luminaire by Magus' Castle as well.  I have played a horribly great deal of Chrono Trigger.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 28, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »
Robos healing costs more than Frog/Marle and has actual damage that you should be spending his turns on

More efficient healing means less turns wasted on healing, and less MP spent on healing overall.  There's little if any opportunity cost for Robo casting Heal Beam.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 28, 2009, 01:29:22 AM »
P4 - Void Quest still rules face. Also, Yosuke's Tentarafoo is a lifesaver against those Gold Beetles. They get hit by it 100%, what the hell.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 28, 2009, 01:41:23 AM »
More MP spent on healing is less efficient.  Throughput != efficiency.  His moves cost enough that you are either crippling your offense on randoms or wasting time/resources with Ethers.  Robo is a fine character to use, you just shouldn't be using him as a healer because generally speaking his stuff is expensive across the board. 

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:37 AM »
Just got the Devil slicer and beat the elder dragon Chameleos but failed hardcore against Lunastra. So bad in fact that the mission disappeared (Whats up with that?).
Do you know where I can get the materials for the true devil slicer?

True Devil Slicer (816 ATP / 560 THD) is... Well, if you have 7* guild or are at HR5 you can make it then.
You might already know, but you need
10 Carbalite Ore
20 Dragonite Ore
4 Thunder Sacs

Basarios can give Carbalite Ores or you can go mining for it
Basarios, Chameleos, Gypceros and Purple Gypceros can give Dragonite Ores or you can go mining for it
Khezu and Red Khezu can give Thunder Sacs

If you're going to take down Lunastra/Teostra you might be better off aiming for a Smolder Dragonsword...
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Pyro

« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2009, 03:22:28 AM »
P4 - Void Quest still rules face. Also, Yosuke's Tentarafoo is a lifesaver against those Gold Beetles. They get hit by it 100%, what the hell.
Lots of stuff is actually vulnerable to confuse at 100% rate. You should try it out more and see what fights you can utterly destroy with it. There are usually 2-3 in every dungeon at least.

SO4: So I got to a space station. It was incredibly, stupidly, mind-bogglingly long. And it had red walls. FUCK red walls. In the face. With a blowtorch. (Red walls = random force fields placed just to annoy you that enemies can pass through and you can't, often forcing you to take roundabout paths to get where you want to).

Then I got to the boss. Huge dragon! Must be tough! So seeing how it was huge, I used Focus on Reimi and spammed her Seraphic Thunder attack, which makes thunderbolts hit a very wide area and hence raping most large enemies. And rape it did. Fight ended in about 15 seconds or so.

I think Reimi qualifies as a better childhood friend/love-interest type PC than Sophia. Just a little.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 28, 2009, 05:45:23 AM »
SO4: Landed on Roak and got a LARGE PINK BUNNY.  Apparently the disc 2 trigger is just heading east of the desert. Completely fucking random, since it didn't give me a chance to save first of all, and I had to go into another room to fetch the disc.  Stupid stupid stupid.

Rob, I think overleveling skills doesn't affect what items you make from IC.  Just you need the right characters.  I have most mid-game stuff already made, just the game doesn't have a whole lot of equipment to begin with.

I like to know that it's bullshit that all IC is done on the Calinus.  Running from one point on Roak to the Calinus is 10 minutes, not including randoms and Edge's ability to dash into a tiny rock and not move.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1009 on: February 28, 2009, 06:08:29 AM »
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon- beated.  Madeus took 52 damage then died to being pinged by a peg knight.  Lesson Learned: 60 HP does not work in a fire emblem game when you have a weakness.  No, 25 Defense is not enough.

Not a lot to say really.  I was in a strange way impressed by the animations, even though they were incredibly scaled down from every other NA released FE game.  I dunno if it's that subtlety itself or just the animation quality.  Seriously, that's what stood out the most, the changes in tactics due to some stylistic differences weren't really that noticable after a point, although I can't help thinking that more than any other FE game I've played this game encourages you to treat your units as, if not disposable, then at least expendable.
Oh.  Gotoh was disappointing.  His Res isn't even that great!  No longer 700 times average ;_;

DL notes.  Just for characters I used, I didn't exactly memorize hinode's notes on averages so going more by my own builds.  And yes, I used a small party the entire game >.>

Marth- He's... like a Pally without a horse.  Does okay but doesn't really stand out... which is bad when you lack the movement and weapon options of a mounted unit.  The game floods Cavs/Paladins/Horsemen (ie nomads) on you though, so Rapier keeps him afloat, and to a lesser extent his ability to OHKO dragons with Falchion does the same in the endgame.  Stock Middle, above average without doing anything well enough to merit anything better, but also held back by his .5 average res.

Cain/Abel- The differences between the two are pretty academic past about level 7.  Godly, probably the best Red/Green cavs I've seen.  Double pretty much anything but the endgame dragons, excellent strength, defense isn't awesome but clearly above anything a non-Knight is gonna get.  Heavies, they both end up doubling average with aforementioned good all around stats.  Promotion even gives them average Res!

Caeda- Weird.  Completely owned early; I got some freaky strength growth out of her, and she is going to double.  Just don't question it.  Archers, sure, but even then not a big deal.  After promotion (where she had her 20/15 strength already for me...) she levelled out, she promoted first so held back for a few chapters, by the time the rest of the team had promoted she was fairly average all around.  Wing Spear is still a nice option due to the flood of mounted units of course.  Also scored the kill on Madeus, but that's because the legendary spear is actually 1-2 range.  Lowish Heavy, less tanky than Cain/Abel, less evasive than FE7/8 Peg knights, but still packs no shortage of offense.

Ogma- Filler.  Just... decent, doubles reliably but strength could be better, HP but not so hot defense, mobility meant he tended to fall behind Cain/Abel.  The last to promote, but still not bad really.  Another Low Heavy type I think.

Merric- First mage.  Mages > FESD bosses.  None of them have any Res.  Over half of them are range 1 only.  So yeah, Merric had this stretch of about 8 chapters (until Linde joined) where he was the only mage and consequently waltzed around owning things.  High Middle, Excalibur is cool but isn't enough to compensate defensive shortcomings.

Lena- Healer.  Probably cost me the most resets?  But still, looked better than the other early healing options and by the time Maria joined I didn't care to raise another.  Highish Light, laughs off magic (20 Res in this game?  Yeah.) but has little else going for her, I suspect that wielding a tome heavier than Fire would get her doubled in fact.

Linde- Other mage.  ended up pretty even with Merric, but a few levels lower because she promoted late instead of early and thus didn't get to spam healing for 6 chapters.  Still quite good, although I admit I invested into a lot of forged tomes for the two of them.  Borderliner, I suspect she does 2HKO with Aura, but I'm not certain, and while both are above average for Res due to being FESD shes' several points higher than Merric there too.

Tiki- Novelty.  But completely fun if you feel like saving her Firestones and possibly spending a few Hammermene charges on her (you have 12 so hey why not).  After sucking it up for about 8 levels, she held her own for a few more then suddenly was the best character in the game by a wide margin around level 14.  Her growths are made of crack.  Probably deserves a level penalty, since she levels more akin to Marth's weird psuedo-promoted status than anything, but kneejerking as Heavy/Godlike anyway?  She can pack a punch, double, and tank too well.  Y'know, assuming she's got anything to attack with in a duel.

Gotoh- really disappointing for an Athos type.  Stats are really quite bland, Merric and Linde both beat him for totals and in key stats (speed and Mag, though only by a couple points).  I suppose he did have like +10 defense on them or osmething.  On the other hand, joins with a goddamned Fortify, which owns.  I tend to assume heavy, but who knows.

Mighty Jagen- Better than advertised.

I tried using af ew other people (Darros, who I let die, that first (... only?) Myrmidon, some archer) but wasn't impressed, so I just trimmed down to the above and went with it.

Pretty cleanly a 7/10.  Well paced, kept to what makes Fire Emblem engaging to play, probably a smidge easy but hey, I'm not going to complain about having not that many resets and the ones I had being clearly my own negligence.  I do miss characterization though.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 28, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »
Darkmoon Faire: San Francisco, World of Warcraft TCG

Day 1

Spent all day on the Gadgetzen tourny today. Worn out, so I'll share the abbreviated version.

32 individuals attended. I placed second. Son of a bitch.

Match 1: vs Ashley
Seriously? 32 people and I play her first round? If my memory is right... quick game 1 with me on an aggressive start she just can't answer. Ash manages to stall me out in game two and put me to fatal. Game 3 has time called and I win with a single damage on her.
1-0

Match 2: vs Ben Isgur
Argh! Game 1 has me put him to 29 of 30 health... and then he manages to stabilize and win. Game 2 and game 3 has me successfully out pacing him for wins.
2-0

Match 3: vs Dusty
Game 1 sees me on the losing end once more. Manage to take game 2 with relative ease. Game 3 is tight, but I eventually outpace him and squeeze out a win.
3-0

Match 4: vs... her name slips my mind.
Game 1 I'm off like a shot and break her pretty fast. Game 2 has her stabilizing and stalling until I deck. Game 3, despite a lack of quests, has me off with a highly aggressive start, putting her at 25 of 28 before a defense slows me down. She comes close to stabilizing, but it is too late. Time is called and I take the win.
4-0

Match 5: vs Anthony Calabrese
Marghle. Fuck you, Detect Traps. Fuck you.
4-1

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 28, 2009, 08:22:38 AM »
Pretty cleanly a 7/10.  Well paced, kept to what makes Fire Emblem engaging to play, probably a smidge easy but hey, I'm not going to complain about having not that many resets and the ones I had being clearly my own negligence.  I do miss characterization though.

Now do a run where you intentionally twink every single character and change them into a class to capitalize on their character base growths.

Then laugh at how hilariously broken you can make the game. It's healthy. Also, using a small party can sometimes be very good!

WC3 Defense of the Ancients games

http://www.dota-allstars.com/replay/100767/index.html
EFXFilena, using Earthshaker (Raigor Stonehoof)
** The start of the game was extremely shaky, with disconnects on both sides, causing one of my team to switch sides. This was okay. Early-game was kind of odd, I was with my IRL friend, the Ursa Warrior and he absolutely refused to harass the Rikimaru we were laning with, despite me setting things up with my Fissures. It almost cost me my life as a result, so I just said screw this. Our resident NS called for help up top, so I TP'd there and assisted in getting two kills, though I died thanks to the tower before the 2nd kill, making my levelling even slower than it already was. The mid-game was rocky, we seemed to be losing vantage due to the lack of teamwork. However, the NS and myself were able to take home a lot of kills. Despite this effort, our opponents were very farmed and had good items, so I died numerous times. After lots of trashtalking, we made a come back (thanks to my friend killing Rosh twice! ..Thrice?) and just before we exploded their Frozen Throne, I got a Double Kill from Fissure->Blink->Echo Slam.

19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1012 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:13 AM »
SO4- Finished. All in all? A pretty damn good game. There's a few things I would have liked, like maybe spending a little less time on Roak (I WAS THERE ALL OF SO1, FUCKERS!) and then maybe putting in another planet besides that. But I found myself damn near unable to put it down, which is pretty remarkable.

As far as the endgame goes... well, the last boss was kind of unsurprising. When you read the summary, they avoid using the word "killed" so of course he's going to come back, duh. And does he ever have a fuckton of life. I could see him making Godlike. Other than that? I'm not sure how the game would convert to the DL format. I mean... once you get good at blindsiding an enemy, you basically become invincible in 1v1 combat, which is why all the boss fights have adds or unavoidable AoEs, or both. It's why Singles Arena is such a joke. Seems to me the entire cast is Ramsus. Can't see any of the PCs below med/heavy, really.

The standouts, as far as solo combat goes, are probably Edge and Bacchus. Edge has the heavy armor and healing spells, Bacchus has a ridiculous amount of life and defense compared to the rest of the cast, and the Black Hole tech that is maybe the most broken move in the entire game. Check this: he throws it at the enemy, and not only does it do a HUGE AoE, but it also draws the enemy towards its center, so he can sit there and shoot them with his regular attack without fear of being countered. Reimi's apparently pretty OP too, but she's not great in a solo environment due to her below-average durability.

Were I to pick DLC for this game? Commander Stephen Kenny as a playable character. I don't care how little sense it makes, I just want to have him fuck shit up with his manly beard.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 28, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
I haven't played SO 4 (yet!), but you could theoretically avoid being hit in many AARPGs apparentally. Generally we don't let AARPG characters wail on enemies without pause in the DL.
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 28, 2009, 10:03:36 AM »
It's a special function. not like SO3 where you could always dodge if you were good. If you hold B, you start charging your rush gauge. Then when an enemy is about to attack you, you hit left on the stick. Time goes in to slow motion and you run behind them. Doing so puts a debuff on the enemy that guarantees critical hits while it's up.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »
Puzzle Quest:Galactrix - I really really want to like this a lot.  I keep trying to like it and whenever I start to I have to do more gate hacking.  Generally speaking the gem drop system can be confusing at the best of times (I still haven't worked out exactly how it decides which direction the gems are going to drop...), but you can live with that normally and it isn't overly punishing if you can take the time to think. So with that said, fuck you whoever decided to put in timed version of this sort of puzzle.   

If it was like high level mount building shit like in Puzzle Quest?  Sure I could deal with that.  This is the worst of all the systems in the game though and it is forced.  You -have- to do it.  It is the only way you can get around the map.  When you beat it you never have to do it again for that gate though, wooo.  So you know what that means?  You spend the vast majority of your time at the start of the game doing the shittiest of the shit in the game.  Sure it can only get better, but it is horribly painful.

So to go indepth.  You have a time limit to try and get a certain number of gem sets in a specific order, you can of course get things that aren't the one you are after without penalty (other than the wasted time), but when you have to do an average of 1 correct set every four seconds it is incredibly hectic and takes a minute and a half to fail and you are ultimately entirely at the mercy of the random generation of gems.  Oh I am sorry did you not want to spend 30 seconds with no reds on the board?  Shit out of luck.  This would be eased with less colours in this type of game or if the game in general was a bit more lenient on matching (let stuff bend instead of being lines or just be clumps of 3 like Hexic, but it would change the balance of other gameplay modes a bit much).

Anyway, it is pretty much Privateer with Puzzles like Challenge of the Warlords is RPG with puzzles.  It should be good, but fuck this gate hacking shit so goddamned much.

Edit - No seriously, Fuck you game. Fuck you so fucking much you fucking stupid luck based sack of fucking shit fuckfuckfuckufkcufuckufuckfuckfuckfuck.  I am going to level FUCKING FISHING in FUCKING WOW because it is more FUCKING FUN than playing RUSSIAN FUCKING ROULETTE with the FUCKING RNG on this FUCKING TIMED BULLSHIT FUCKING THING.  FUCK YOU.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:38:30 AM by Grefter »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 28, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
TotW:RM- Off to rescue Leon, because he felt like being a wanker as usual. Bosses are definately more challenging than TotA ones. Heck, the monsters from the Elite quests are harder than most TotA bosses.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:35 PM »
I don't think you swear enough at games Sopko.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 28, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »
Started Shining Force The Legacy Of Great Expectations. Up to chapter 4.
Been pretty great so far, the complete opposite of what I was expecting. Aside from the engine being somewhat clunky I have no problems with it whatsoever. Hopefully it will continue in this fashion.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 28, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
A smart enemy could just wait while you're charging and smack you around when you overcharge and get stunned (or if you stop charging hit you then).  So not seeing Blindsides doing much of anything in the DL (except maybe to charge moves or something?).  Letting them dodge everything (or just everything ST) is just retarded.

Also.

LOL VANDAL HEARTS 2 PCS CANT GET BY ANYTHING EVER LOLO

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:06 PM »
SO4- Jesus christ there's a huge difficulty spike in the postgame. I'm going from "having only moderate difficulty with the final boss" to "getting torn apart by random enemies in the first floor of the 7-Star Ruins."

Never played VH2, but it just seems to me that this game is heavily skewed towards mass combat, which means that 1v1 the cast is overpowered. It just gets stupid when you get your S-Beat all the way up to level 20 and you start being able to double-blindside or charge during attacks. Really what it does is spoil melee-only, ST-only characters, since you can't blindside spells or AoE attacks. The first form of the last boss, for instance, dodges that bullet with his full-spin-around-swing. Hence, why you probably don't see any of them in Middle or Light, where they would rack up tons of easy wins on Fire Emblem characters.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:00:29 PM by Rob the Stampede »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Retro Game Challenge: Is amazing. Am currently playing through Guadia Quest.
 "DO YOU FEEL ASLEEP?" May make a stat topic.

...What's this?

~

Played a lot of Street Fighter 4 when I was with the siblings in Chicago. This involved my first time time actually using Xbox controllers (we were at my sister's place, and her boyfriend has the game for 360), and this experience inspired sufficient rage for my brother to go out and buy the PS3 version on the way home that night. Got the character unlocking over with when we went back to his place that night. New character thoughts: El Fuerte is crap, Rufus is decent mechanically but I can't bring myself to use him because he is grotesque, Abel seems pretty good and is almost always more threatening on AI than the other characters, Viper is just okay but is Cid-bait so I use her a lot.

So, Seth. Is there any way to avoid getting hit by his ultra combo? Blocking doesn't do it, being airborne or all the way on the other side of the screen doesn't do it.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 01, 2009, 12:00:57 AM »
uh, Seth's ultra is hella blockable. And if you jump as he gets it off and are far enough, it'll whiff.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 01, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - ANGST

bover 87

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 01, 2009, 12:36:53 AM »
FF12, just got to Jahara. That, and trying not to freeze when I go outside >_>
I...I shall consume...
Consume...consume everything...