Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 677106 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1100 on: March 04, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
Not much to say right now. Tal's idea of "Give everyone maxed HP Plus" seems pretty good for the extra 10K HP (more than doubling it for everyone), but the SP cost for that is prohibitive in the extreme. I've toyed with Berserk for Edge/Merry but it involves getting way to close to combat for a durablity halved character, so Reimi gets it. Sarah seems like a good healer, but Lym probably does just as good a job.

Lymle can be used for now. She doesn't get a rez spell, and I don't believe she gets the upgraded versions of healing spells that heal for like 70% of your total life. You'll pretty much need to trade out for Sarah if you're going to do anything post-game.

Speaking of which, I am still in the 7-Star Ruins, and those fucking bees there scare the shit out of me. They are more difficult than the last boss. "Let us have random enemies that hit the guy wearing the unique armor you find in the last dungeon ten times for 3k hp, so that they can make the player shit himself in fear."
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:17:42 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 04, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
Patience, patience and more patience.

If you know how to utilize noise control, do it. It will save you a lot of aspirin. Keep high skills over low ones, and think about the type/end  Persona you want. Recognize bridges and use them as carriers.

I like each of my personas to be individual working units. So, I don't like transferring junk over and will occassionally get unwanted Noise, which is often replaced as they level up and get more skills. Of course, I don't get as powerful Personas, but its enough to do the job. Make use of Fusion Forecast. It is love and you can pick up lots of high level skills to pass around with patience.

As for fusing Yoshi, he's fixed. So if you fool around with the fusion bridges making him, you can pretty much get a strong Yoshi without much trouble.

On the whole Yoshi /w Debilitate thing, I'm with Tal on this one. It's better to equip Yoshi with something more useful since you're likely going to have Trumpeter. And since you can switch at the beginning of every turn, it's not as huge of a deal. Something like Apt Pupil or even Nulls/Repels to the elements Yoshi doesn't block is probably better than Debilitate.

PS: I don't find Heat Raiser to be that good anyway. Much more turn effective it seems to just get Yosuke to cast Masuku, Kanji to cast Mataru, and then have MC Power Charge/Debilitate on the same turn. Gets your overkill damage out faster.

Remind me why this shit is better than Persona 2's system?

Anyway, at least you are playing the best game in the series Ryogo (Disclaimer, P4 may be good, but I strongly doubt it will be better than P2 is).  I recommend not touching P1 while the others are on the go though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 04, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »
Lymle can be used for now. She doesn't get a rez spell, and I don't believe she gets the upgraded versions of healing spells that heal for like 70% of your total life. You'll pretty much need to trade out for Sarah if you're going to do anything post-game.

You can get a Skill book that teaches Faerie Star to Lymle, Myuria, or Sarah.  I gave it to Lymle, and along with fast cast, she's a far better healer than Sarah.

Granted you use Sarah for buffs.  With Bacchus' stupid broken Black Hole Sphere, I have all the time to wait for spells.

Anyways, I wrapping up PAs before tackling the last dungeon.  I have no idea who I call my MVP because everyone is good.  Well, except Faize.  Faize makes Leon look like Ghaleon. Almost.

Taishyr

« Reply #1103 on: March 04, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
Re: Persona 2, yeah, Ulala is the first boss that can seriously hand you your ass if you aren't ready for her. I believe she's mainly a Wind spammer? Look around the options for Personas and see if any sound like they'd be a good counter for her.

Also, on a side note, two points of side advice (don't know how hard you're FAQing this, if at all);

1) Do you still have Maya's first Persona (in inventory or Igor-storage)? If so,
2) Stick up for Ulala after the boss fight, and then try to get Maia mutations.

I normally wouldn't even bring up gameplay stuff, but it's one of the more obscure-yet-awesome things in P2. So.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:08:06 PM by Taishyr »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 04, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »
Also, on topic with Persona 3 and 4. I'm terrible at fusing persona's with a good use. I never know what skills will transfer, or which ones will be good.

When doing normal fusion, when you get to the screen that shows which skills are transferred, press the back button twice (so that you have to select the second Persona again).  Now a new set of transfer skills will be randomly chosen.  You can spam this pretty quick to get skills that you like.

For triangles, you have to deselect the last two Personas before it will rerandomize.  For 4+ fusions, it will randomize everytime you select.

I've never bothered with Noise filtering myself - it's just not necessary for achieving a competent Persona.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:41:05 PM by Captain K. »

Idun

« Reply #1105 on: March 04, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »
I was actually playing Lost Odyssey this weekend. I went from, around 20ish hours to 35. I forgot I never beat the game, but I remember seeing it beaten so maybe I'm just crazy. Anyway, my interest was struck after asking Talaysen where he was.  So I went from Disc 2 to 4. Anyway, the average level of my members is either 34 or 35. I got Sed and Tolten. During the cinemagraphic-whore of a Disc 3, I managed to  master all of Tolten for the moment with Seth and the last 100 SP categories Double EXP, SP and Loot skills are left under Sed's abilites for Seth to learn. I was wondering why her and Kaim had the exact same amount of EXP and Level, yet Kaim was mastering accessory skills faster than her. Anyway, my main party for the majority of the disc besides Seth, Sed and Tolten, were  Mack, Ming, Jansen and Cooke. Both parties are forced. Of course, I was dastardly and the only person in the front row was Mack. He got some respect points from me after all the bosses I fought. The cheesy scene with Jansen singing is . .  very cheesy. :P

So I'm EXACTLY on Disc 4.

I've also been playing FFXII. I just finished the Vraal quest that the Viera in Balfonheim wanted me to kill. I died once, because I figured I could just use brute force. But the second time around, I beserked Basch, Haste'd Basch and Vaan and decided that Cura is relatively useless for Penelo's main healing spell and changed it to Curaja. Shorter casting time AND at least guarantees that one of my main attack members will not die. Once Vraal got down to maybe, less than 1/10 of his HP, he somehow became hyper-supah-fast and pretty much raped Vaan and Basch who still had full MP. Basch 45, Vaan 42 Penelo 41. I brought in Balthier and Fraan quickly, and did their Quickenings. It LOOKED like the Vraal was dead, but nooo- apparently there's some HP that's so miniscule I couldn't even see. Anyway, he raped Balthier and Fraan frantically and then I start getting really pissed because this means I'm obligated to bring Ashe into my party who is. . . like, level 30. Anyways, I bring her in and knowing I absolutely DO not have the time to heal, I made her use a quickening. But before it executed and the lag you get somehow that prevents the enemy from executing their attack fast enough unless they've already targeted, I made Penelo use a Phoenix Down on Vaan. But he was brought back to life AFTER I killed the Vraal with Ashe. I'm sort of disappointed. I didn't think it would need to come to this (using Ashe. :P )

I've just accepted the Lindwyrm quest. I'm sad. This means I need to use bows and arrows? You know, I tried casting float on my team mates to see if they could continue attacking an enemy in the air, but obviously that logic is inapplicable there. So. I need to go buy bows and arrows. Or guns. Or. Yeah. I also have this damned Paradise Risen quest that's in the Giza Plains that I haven't finished. It has not, fucking rained hard enough for the motherfucking turtle to come out and it's pissing me off.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 04, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
Re: Persona 2, yeah, Ulala is the first boss that can seriously hand you your ass if you aren't ready for her. I believe she's mainly a Wind spammer? Look around the options for Personas and see if any sound like they'd be a good counter for her.

Also, on a side note, two points of side advice (don't know how hard you're FAQing this, if at all);

1) Do you still have Maya's first Persona (in inventory or Igor-storage)? If so,
2) Stick up for Ulala after the boss fight, and then try to get Maia mutations.

I normally wouldn't even bring up gameplay stuff, but it's one of the more obscure-yet-awesome things in P2. So.

Hahaha... Really, the ONLY personas I have are my starters, plus three others that seemed pretty crappy (Harpie, Poltergeist, and another one I don't recall). So yeah, I have Maia.  I don't have nearly enough cards to get anything useful for personas, sadly. And I hate the prospect of having to go grind a little to unlock their skills. I wish they started with more than one.

Yeah, Ulala is a wind spammer. Baofu is immune to it with his original persona, but everytime someone dies, I try to get him to revive whoever died and she starts to spam "Old Maid", which turns one of my member's turns into an attack against the other party members. Its seems like its ALWAYS whoever is reviving that does an attack on the party too, or its right after I bring the fallen guy back to life, so he dies instantly again.

Also, on topic with Persona 3 and 4. I'm terrible at fusing persona's with a good use. I never know what skills will transfer, or which ones will be good.

When doing normal fusion, when you get to the screen that shows which skills are transferred, press the back button twice (so that you have to select the second Persona again).  Now a new set of transfer skills will be randomly chosen.  You can spam this pretty quick to get skills that you like.

For triangles, you have to deselect the last two Personas before it will rerandomize.  For 4+ fusions, it will randomize everytime you select.

I've never bothered with Noise filtering myself - it's just not necessary for achieving a competent Persona.

I didn't realize everytime you went back into the fuse window for the same persona the skills changed... I just assumed it stayed the same. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm fusing. Thanks!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 04, 2009, 05:22:55 PM »
FF6- Sealed cave, I gained like six levels on everyone. I forgot how much EXP jumps at points in this game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 04, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »
I've just accepted the Lindwyrm quest. I'm sad. This means I need to use bows and arrows? You know, I tried casting float on my team mates to see if they could continue attacking an enemy in the air, but obviously that logic is inapplicable there. So. I need to go buy bows and arrows. Or guns. Or. Yeah. I also have this damned Paradise Risen quest that's in the Giza Plains that I haven't finished. It has not, fucking rained hard enough for the motherfucking turtle to come out and it's pissing me off.

You could always, assuming you're pretty near the end of the game, use Telekinesis. It seems slightly weaker than normal attacks to me, but you'd also be able to use more powerful weapons anyways.

And... ugh. That damn thing annoyed me, only because I'd go around knocking all the trees into the water to form the bridge, and it'd be heavy rain constantly, then I'd cross into the right area for the hunt and the rain would suddenly be lighter. >.<

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 04, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
Persona 2: Made it to Ulala, she's destroyed me twice now. I need to befriend more monsters so I can actually get new personas... And grind for yen to buy new equipment and items >_>

P2's kind of a bitch about money. Always buy armor first since most of your offense comes from magic anyway. I had large stretches of the game pass without weapon upgrades and usually managed just fine.

Taishyr

« Reply #1110 on: March 04, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
Also: Old Maid is a trick move. Try having everyone defend when she uses it.

And... yeah, you're probably gonna have to grind some for cards, you seriously are supposed to have better than the initials at this point. >_> Re: skills, if you really don't like ranking them up to get the skills, have them use attacks that don't do damage to the enemy (Dia/Media/status healing spam) and walk away for a bit. Return, the battle will be over (once you run out of SP you automatically physical) and you'll have a few new skills on the Persona, usually up to about 5th rank.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1111 on: March 04, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
It must be said, abuse fusion spells. Abuse abuse abuse.  Mutations are the key to the entire game (for starters, mutations include ranking up, among things.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Idun

« Reply #1112 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »
You could always, assuming you're pretty near the end of the game, use Telekinesis. It seems slightly weaker than normal attacks to me, but you'd also be able to use more powerful weapons anyways.

And... ugh. That damn thing annoyed me, only because I'd go around knocking all the trees into the water to form the bridge, and it'd be heavy rain constantly, then I'd cross into the right area for the hunt and the rain would suddenly be lighter. >.<

I don't have Telekenesis. If it's a Technick, I haven't really bought any because of how expensive they are. I heard some are really useful though. Also. I just died from the Lindwyrm. Clearly, he's weak to something yet I haven't found it. Someone told me magick, but I'm just totally not in the mood for magic right now.  ::)

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 04, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
This is why you always want to have some competent magic on everyone. Swap that gambit on and go to town. Lindwyrm's weak to sleep too, I believe.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 04, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »
There's an item in one of the lockers (women's I think) on the 1st floor that has a good persona in it you can pick up.  You'll need Star cards for it, but it's Iris, who is good, and an earth user (works good on Maya too, best on Ulala). 

So, a primer for Persona 2:

1) Equipment.  Focus on armour, as mentioned.  Weapons are good if you have extra money, but not necessary unless you have good physical skills (Triple Down on Katsuya, for instance)...and even then, good magic should beat good physicals any time. 

2) Fusions.  Fusions are excellent.  They have some patterns, but the most basic one is two skills of the same type cast together (so agi+agi, bufu+bufu, etc.).  This will result in a fusion of the same element, stronger than the two that went into it (based on the strength of the last skill used, so agi+agidyne will be stronger than agidyne+agi).    Using a fusion to finish off a battle will sometimes result in a mutation, with a higher chance on a persona a character has higher compatability with (i.e., Moon or Hermit on Maya, Star or Temperence on Ulala, Death or Devil or Tower or HangedMan on Baofu, etc.).  Mutations can be rank up (+2 ranks), parametres up (I have max stats on the starters in my one save, for instance), new skill learned (every persona except for a select few special ones have a special mutation skill, usually good), or special attribute learned (limits, of sorts).  The system is also nice, in that it allows you to set the fusions up very well, so no issues being interrupted like in some other games.

3) Personas.  First, personas will boost attributes on level-up.  Moon and Star boost AGI, Hanged Man boosts LUC, Justice boosts STR, etc.  Since this is the only control you have over the stats of everyone but Maya, make use of these.  Each arcana boosts a specific stat, so make use of these right before level-ups.  In addition, each character has dominant arcana - these arcana have reduced SP costs for using the persona skills (so Moon or Hermit on Maya, Strength or Justice on Katsuya, etc.).  Make use of these, as it helps your SP stay nice and high during and between battles.   

4) Maya.  Pump her TEC and VIT, as these will boost defenses, HP, SP, and SATK (magic damage).  Combine with the above to get a fully customized Maya with awesome stats.  Also, do note that LUC is actually an important stat, so neglecting it isn't a good idea - it affects drop rates, criticals, status rates, etc.  Pixie, a low level persona you can pick up, gets super awesome LUC that can help boost a low one. 

5) Setting up for now.  Make a contract with a demon, preferably the highest level demon in the dungeon (that is most common - since you want to encounter them often).  This requires you make them interested, request a contract, and be of a high enough level (equal to theirs) to make it work.  When you encounter them again in battle, make them interested, and they'll give you cards of their arcana, as well as free tarot you can make into any arcana in the Velvet Room.  Try to make the following personas:

DEATH Hel (for Baofu - and keep her, she is EXCELLENT for fusions)
STAR Iris (for Maya...and later Ulala)
STRENGTH Ryume (for Katsuya)

EMPEROR Airget Lam (+1 TEC on level-up, has some decent earth spells, cheap)
STAR Kimnara (+1 AGI, also has level 2 fire spell and a decent healing spell, and is cheap)
SUN Surya (+1 AGI, has good fire spells, as well as some wind)
HIEROPHANT Genjo (+1 STR, gets media)

None of these block wind (Airget is weak, so don't use him in the battle; as is Iris)  These are fairly low level personas that will help a bit more than what you have.  Hel is especially nice.  Try doing some fusions in battles to end them, and mutations should come.  Level 17 or so is what I'd suggest. 

6) Rumours.  Walk around and talk to everyone in the city, including going to the computer cafe, after every dungeon to get new rumours to spread.  These can upgrade equipment stocks, provide additional services in shops, and other cool stuff.  Do this, it helps.

That's...about it thus far.  Just feel free to ask any other questions if you want!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Taishyr

« Reply #1115 on: March 04, 2009, 11:34:49 PM »
I was being more general since I didn't know what more help he wanted, but yeah, vouching for most of OK's advice.

A few personal comments: he didn't mention MAGICIAN Tengu, who has cheap revival and wind support.

Also, don't even feel a need to worry much over armor, either: it's not that influential unless you go ~10 dungeons without updating.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 05, 2009, 01:46:17 AM »
Okay, so the SRWZ special disc came out, and XAN would apparently give Neo Granzon nightmares.

1800 base armor
Immune to status effects and stat downs
Photon Mat (Extreme): Reduce all damage to 10%. Not affected by Direct Attack or barrier piercing.
Double Image
Attack Again
Double action (gets two turns in a row)
Ignore Size Differences
Level 9 Prevail (SRWZ Prevail is brutal at high levels and low HP)
Overskill: At 130 Will, automatically casts Strike, Alert, Zeal (double turns...yes, that should stack with the double action ability) and Direct Attack every round.

So...this should be fun. I fully expect to see Final Dynamic Special doing three-digit damage.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 05, 2009, 03:50:44 AM »
SO4- Singles arena is a goddamn joke.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 05, 2009, 05:23:02 AM »
WAXF: 4-9 completed!  Almost at the end or something.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 05, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
P4 - Beat! Man, that was a lot of cheese. Anyhow, fun game, would play it again, etc.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 05, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
SO4- Just kind of dicking around in the arena, since I am scared to go back in the 7 Star Ruins and face the bees (seriously, they are the devil). Bacchus got a new move called Justice Savior. I was curious, but thought to myself "It can't be any cooler than Godslayer, where he gets a chainsaw that's twice the size of him to fuck things up with."

I WAS WRONG.

So now he is basically Cyberface. Half man, half laser cat, half Robocop.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
But is he Steve Martin when you take off the mask, Rob? IS HE?

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 05, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
7th Dragon - Started.

Princesses are broken. Why? DH + Troubadour + Hexer in one. PLUS they have Relaxing. ^______^

Also, Healers have the Poison skills.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
Soooooo hard not to post a Wickerman picture now Rob.

Strong Bads blah blah blah - Good Telltale stuff, not quite as good as Sam and Max (from a fanboy of S&M), but pretty good and I assume everyone on the internet is familiar with Homestar Runner.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 05, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
So .... no PAL release for SO4 till June now? RAAAAAAAAAGE!
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"