Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676076 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1700 on: April 05, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
Just avoid using D-Dive and D-Dash from here on in and you'll be fine (well use it on the last of the Regents; you'll know who it is; he's a bitch of a fight).  I know, sounds tough, but you have only a few bosses left, and you just need to learn the gimmick to get around Absolute Defense.  Just get lots of healing items.

Oh yeah, most efficient way to use D-Dive is to use D-Charge a few times (3-4 is ideal), and then use Twister.  Twister is actually 6x damage, not 3x, cause it hits twice, and its far more efficient on AP and D-Counter than Vortex.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 05, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »
Yeah, you're pretty near the end, so 30% should certainly be enough to get by. Honestly you could probably Wyrm every remaining boss if you follow Meeple's advice, though if you stock up on items you shouldn't need to (except one against whom it's absolutely necessary).

I got through the game using 14% total, and although this is not typical, it at least demonstrates how little you can use when you go conservative.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

« Reply #1702 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:43 PM »
On the flip side of things, you can Wyrm every boss and finish with ~95%.

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.

I would totally be playing this right now if Gamestop hadn't lied about having it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 05, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
VP2: Completed this last week while my computer was down. Didn't really know what the hell I was doing at all, so no sidequests past entering Asgard, but tore final boss to shreds. Releasing all Einherjar (except Phyress, 'cause she was awesome) and using all stat boost items on Valkyrie? Throw in Psychosoma & he fell in about 5 hits. Awful ending, but I'm guessing, from what I've heard, that there are multiple endings... Please?

Your pleads fall on deaf ears. Trainwreck is canon. Also, you do realize the most egregious part of Lezard's gameplay failure (albeit hardly the only one). Spread the gospel.

VP2 - Mwahahahahahaha Gungnir so broked. Got a Nefarious and a bunch of Mithril Crowns while hunting for Hrist randoms. Then, I discover she gives you MITHRIL BOOTS. Failure.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:21:10 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 05, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »
Wait... There's only that one ending? I mean, the plot before the ending was a trainwreck, but an enjoyable one. I actually loved the plot, but then the ending was just... bah. They had so much space for things to happen and then... stuff ended. =/
(I'm guessing either sidequests or alternate endings would add to it - I'm praying for the latter, because sidequests would just mess up the things I'm thinking of, e.g. Dallas. Hmm, guess sequels could add to it as well...)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 05, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
They don't really add anything, they're just gameplay convenience things (TWO EXTRA SEALSTONE POUCHES FUCK YEAH). What you see is really what you get. Sequels... well, they already turned the thing into VP fanfic, may as well grab the cheese hat and dive. <_<

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 05, 2009, 09:16:32 PM »
VPDS kinda ignores the existance of VP2, if that helps any. Though you could interpret it as more of a sidestory than anything else.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Bardiche

« Reply #1707 on: April 05, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
VP2 is more like "Answers to the questions left in VP1" "and here is an alternate story since Lezard fucks things up"

I want to see a VP3 that deals with the happenings after VP2's ending.

I really need to get around to playing VP1 start to finish rather than getting Lorenta, and then youtubing the rest.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 05, 2009, 09:45:19 PM »
Which would be a shame, as VPDS is either the second best, or best storytelling I've seen in a Tri-Ace game.  And, thinking on it, it probably does beat out VP1.

Anyways, what I'm playing.

VPDS - Currently on Chapter 5-A. Not really looking forward to this since it's 7 battles of hard enough to make me pay attention, but not hard enough to make me think.  At least it's heavy on the monsters so I can load up on Avalanche of the Jotun if I want, but Hoenir's Arc is so much better than it for ending fights quickly, so I doubt I'll bother outside of 5-5-3.

Persona 4 - Yeah, broke down and got this before finishing the Answer.  I like the balance of the core games a little bit too much to enjoy just gameplay (for all that it is decent, just not something I can enjoy by itself.  Now, if G3 released an Answer, that'd be fine!)  They definatly managed to hit the balance of feeling roughly the same while being different enough not to invite direct comparison, and not to leave generally clear cut answers where those comparisons crop up.

The square button is an addition I especially like, as is the conversation choices that basically go "You would have liked to say that, but you're far too much of a wuss to actually say that.  Pick something with less spine involved".  Jobs too work fairly well, and it's nice to get paid for selfimprovement, or have the option to get better through reading as opposed to magical tea and kareoke.

Of course, this does lead to one major downside.  Notably, that the dungeon crawling is now competing directly with S Links for time.  Between this and SP not getting restored when you leave the dungeon, it is fairly notable in terms of time drain.  That said, there is at least the Judgement Arcana Chance, which looks to be one of the primary ones to always say yes to, since the downside is survivable, and the upside is such a huge boost.  As opposed to say, Death, which I suppose might be useful if I'm desperate, but the successful use sapping your party HP - 1 and then booting you from the dungeon?

Regardless, beaten Lacy Unmentionables, and currently starting on the Steamhouse.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 05, 2009, 10:23:09 PM »
Yeah. Starting out, SP is really tough to come by. The sooner you start the Hermit S.Link, the better, Excal. Early on, a good source of SP healing is to keep pumping out TaP Sodas from the vending machine next to the item shop. You can get 5 every few days. They're only 10 SP a piece, but they're cheap, and stockpiling them helps early. If you're desperate, you can also get the 5 SP sodas from the vending machine near the liquor store.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »
You'd also be surprised at how much ground in a single day you can cover now that you can start from the floor you stopped. Just keep ten or so Goho-Ms in stock at all times (ten should last four entire dungeons, by the way) and make forays. This helps keep your gained ground in perspective, and you will never need more than two in-game days to do a single dungeon.

EDIT: Also, since this goes over the head of a lot of people (I only found this out on my replay!): when you buy stuff from Tanaka, you get Prize Stickers. When you amass three of them, go to the mailbox near Daidara and send them in. You can choose between the common prize and the rare prize. Both give you otherwise rare consumable shinies (the rare prize giving you stuff like Somas), which are very hard to come by otherwise. Abuse this wisely.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:20:19 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:18 AM »
Suikoden: Tittykiss, aka Speed Racer: The Videogame

omigodthevoicesaresofastandsucksohardiwillnotcomplainaboutthelackofvoicesinvpdsanylongerbuttheplotisactuallyprettygoodthealternateworldsthingiskindofinterestingandilikethemainwhoinamedreinhartandinamedmyarmycitrofiresothatswhereiamrightnowijustalliedwiththemagedomandhavemyownfortressandGETOFFMYHEADCHIMCHIM

tl;dr version:  By all that is holy turn the volume off on your DS and just play the soundtrack CD in a CD player.

Bardiche

« Reply #1712 on: April 06, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »
VP2:
Picked up Phyress.

Managed to enter BREAK MODE against the boss. Oh man. Scored an immediate kill on first-rounding him. Leone was on a roll.

uneventful events yada yada.

Decided to rematch with the Queen Bee. Omega Variance drops Phyress, who I raise immediately. A second desperation attack triggers BREAK MODE and the Queen Bee drops before she can Omega Variance again. Cool. I am going to miss Leone.

In Kalstad, we give 310 OTH to the brat since we missed out on tri-Emblem. He needs to console us.

I let Lezard lead for a while but he's pathetic, so back to Alicia. Only Lezard's stint used up all my Onion Plumes on him, so by the time I get Dyn and arrive at Magma Caverns I need to backtrack to get more. Damnit Lezard.

on the plus side, everyone now has Forcefield (100), yaaay.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »
I let Lezard lead for a while but he's pathetic, so back to Alicia. Only Lezard's stint used up all my Onion Plumes on him, so by the time I get Dyn and arrive at Magma Caverns I need to backtrack to get more. Damnit Lezard.

Sadly, Force Field skills blow. At least, you're experiencing firsthand why mages suck. <_<

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 06, 2009, 04:59:34 AM »
REgarding the VP2 multiple ending thing...

Its not "Multiple Endings" but you can get a slight change in the ending if you beat the final boss without Valkyrie in your team.  Basically, the little girl that Rufus sees who looks like a certain someone becomes a little boy with glasses who looks like a certain someone else.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 06, 2009, 05:17:41 AM »
EDIT: Also, since this goes over the head of a lot of people (I only found this out on my replay!): when you buy stuff from Tanaka, you get Prize Stickers. When you amass three of them, go to the mailbox near Daidara and send them in. You can choose between the common prize and the rare prize. Both give you otherwise rare consumable shinies (the rare prize giving you stuff like Somas), which are very hard to come by otherwise. Abuse this wisely.

Heh. Yeah. I didn't remember about the Prize Stickers until about July or August. I remember checking out the mailbox in the very beginning and wondering what the hell it was for, but didn't put two and two together until then.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 06, 2009, 06:11:33 AM »
VP2 - Mwahahahahahaha Gungnir so broked. Got a Nefarious and a bunch of Mithril Crowns while hunting for Hrist randoms. Then, I discover she gives you MITHRIL BOOTS. Failure.

But but but VP2 REDUCE DAMAGE ._.!

And on that note, get moar Ether crowns instead~
15% drop off a rare encounter. Oh and they hit pretty hard! At least they revive each other so you can stay there and beat the shit out of one and repeat until you get bored.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Bardiche

« Reply #1717 on: April 06, 2009, 07:33:47 AM »

Sadly, Force Field skills blow. At least, you're experiencing firsthand why mages suck. <_<

Pretty much.

POISON BLOW!! 121 damage.

Alicia doing a combo lands her somewhere in the 200 to 300s for damage.

Leone combo, somewhere around 200-300 damage.

Arngrim, somewhere around 250-400.

Phyress, 400~500.

Good, Lezard, even Alicia outdamages you.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 06, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
Could you please edit your post, Capt'n? It's kinda amusing but it makes the page scroll, making everything a pain to read.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1719 on: April 06, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
It's just his one post for me.

Anyway, I started playing Arcanum again. I am a half-Orc wizard/fighter combo who starts by stabbing you before he sets your balls on fire. He's extremely volatile, and I have gotten in to a number of awesome fights because someone mouthed off to me. And just to show that everything's cool, I reanimate them as a skeletal ghoul thingy.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 06, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
P4- Beaten. True Ending gotten. 10/10 game. SH:C just barely beats it out for my favorite RPG, but it still easily earns a place at second. Just a total blast to play. Hilarious, knew when to do what, and in general hit all the right notes. Gameplay is good once you knew what you were doing. Suprising how an soundtrack with so few tracks never gets old or tired. Especially the battle music.

Amazingly, characterization was both a strong and weak point of the game. By the end, it really feels like a tight group of friends and you're sad to be finishing the game. Characters are kinda static after they join, but I guess thats the point that they've already grown as much as a teenager could realistically grow from that. It somehow feels they should be a little more freaked out by things, but I guess you can't really deny the reality smacking you in the face. Chie, as cool as she was, I think was the weak point. She's like the Milhouse of the team. She has her quirks but... she's just kinda boring. She fills the role of the plain friend of the pretty girl almost too fully. Naoto had problems too, but they were more dialogue related, which I'll get to. I also expected Rise to be a little less of a fluffhead, given the setup they gave her, but she was still good. Just surprised me. Yosuke, Yukiko and Teddie were fine, as was Kanji, who has my favorite quote of the game. "To hell with this, I want my animal crackers!"

The writing was good. Not great! But good. It's comedy was absolute gold; very standard stuff but done very well, and there's nothing wrong with a cliche done well! It avoided the pitfalls that many anime fall into by filling too much up on bad slapstick and going way overboard with character quirks. The game's simple presentation ended up working immensely to it's favor. However... while the plot was adequately structured and the story very well laid out, characters had a bad, bad habit of constantly repeating expository dialogue in the same scene. Naoto is ESPECIALLY guilty of this. It's really okay if not all the characters don't always get a chance to speak! There's a time they should, and a time they don't really need to. Still, while annoying it didn't exactly take you completely out of the game.

Other than minor dialogue issues, it does a real good job of giving you a sense of time. The sliding calender is a nice style touch, and I want one even though it would be utterly impractical. The school cycle also gives you a good sense of how time is passing. Time is a point that a lot of RPGs don't do very well. It really helps for scope and many just seem to ignore it for some reason. I realize it's not entirely easy sometimes with some stories, but it still something small that can add a bit of substance to a lot of places.

The murder mystery itself is good. I can see people having a problem with it though, since at times the turns it takes are either too predictable or too random, leaning towards the former. Lots of coincidence, but when you look at it in the context of the true ending, it makes some sense. Even then, while predictable it's not formulaic, if that makes sense. Things are always ambigous enough that it could go either way, and it all does come together nicely. The characters are pretty aware of things that are going on (outside of the obvious reasons), and never really seem either smarter or dumber than their characters or kids their age should be, which is refreshing writing-wise.

The S.Links were fun. Mostly taking standard stuff and going through the motions, but they worked. Some were better than others. Temperance I think was my favorite, while Chariot was a total snoozefest, which surprised me. Then again, see my prior comments on her. Honorable mentions to Devil, Death, Magician, and Hanged Man. Devil was just funny until about halfway, while the latter three handled their topics quite well. Moon I liked too, since the first half she was hilarious to watch, and eventually grew into someone better. Fortune bears mentioning as being very hit or miss between amusing and boring.

All in all, as into the game I got it didn't really MOVE me the way SH:C did. As endearing as the characters and the game were, Yuri's tale is still much more emotionally gripping. P4 was definately more entertaining, but SH:C still left a bigger impression on me, which I guess is what puts it ahead. Granted, I may replay P4 sooner than I would SH:C, but I guess thats just how opinion works.

Suikoden 5 is next! Maybe with a side of Generation of Chaos: Aedis Eclipse!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:20 PM »
VP2: Completed this last week while my computer was down. Didn't really know what the hell I was doing at all, so no sidequests past entering Asgard, but tore final boss to shreds. Releasing all Einherjar (except Phyress, 'cause she was awesome) and using all stat boost items on Valkyrie? Throw in Psychosoma & he fell in about 5 hits. Awful ending, but I'm guessing, from what I've heard, that there are multiple endings... Please?

Your pleads fall on deaf ears. Trainwreck is canon. Also, you do realize the most egregious part of Lezard's gameplay failure (albeit hardly the only one). Spread the gospel.

And this is why the kobold scenes are the best part of VP2: they acknowledge that the plot is ridiculous and mock it (which makes me assume that the trainwrecking was intentional, since the SG scenes suggest that the writers were fully aware of how nutty the maingame plot was. Hell, dog Brahms mocks his final scene every time he appears.)

Idly, I was kind of wondering how VPDS plot fits into the series's continuity (such as it is). Are we talking before or after VP1 here?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 06, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Screw where it fits into the plot, does VP:DS have aftergame dog fights as well?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 06, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
Given it cameos Gandar in his late 20s, I'd guess a few decades before VP1.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 06, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
Eternal Sonata - Final boss of the optional dungeon finished with.  Took three attempts to win, success was with Salsa (L74), March (L73) and !!! at L62. The healing move of L62 helped a lot more than trying other moves with L62. After winning reset and tried some different set ups, levelling up L62 to L64 for a new move helped even more and Salsa/March/Viola also won on the first attempt (ironically enough my main game party of Salsa/March/Viola was also my winning party for the second last boss of the optional dungeon, that other character and also Polka failed)  After that I spent a while just battling for fun and collecting gold. Once my gold was maxxed out I decided to go and trash the main game's final boss with my enhanced L80+ party. Fun~

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I've started a new game+ file but I'll probably/might be doing Blue Dragon or Enchanted Arms as well/instead.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"