Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676286 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1775 on: April 10, 2009, 02:21:29 AM »
I said "close to" for a reason.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 10, 2009, 02:31:41 AM »
FFVII - HDINS challenge again. Except I got distracted trying to create a team for Nyar's Dungeon and left it on pause for about 7 hours. 7 hours since I started, I've probably got about 20-30 minutes play-time, and I'm approaching Airbuster. After 7 hours. >_>

Pyro

« Reply #1777 on: April 10, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »
MMXCM:

Beat birdbrain, got Zero. The combat in this game leaves something to be desired.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:55:14 AM by Pyro »

Bardiche

« Reply #1778 on: April 10, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »
VP2: Alicia hit level 55, just had the Odin fight. It is funny to think that last time around I was at level 30 or something here.

Current party is Alicia/Rufus/Phyress/Dyn, but will switch that last one out for Arngrim once I get him. Hitting 100-Hit Combos before Soul Crushing is nice.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 10, 2009, 05:25:46 AM »
How did you reach that kind of level?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 10, 2009, 05:42:32 AM »
Grinding and juggling (and possibly hamstringing his offense with the XP+ Sealstone >_<), of course. Although it's still impressive, I was clearly overlevelled in the replay and I only got to L55 with Rufus and Phyress just before Lezard.

Regardless, if he failed to one-round Odin, I'll be severely disappointed.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: April 10, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »
Original Generation 2 - So yeah, stuff happened.

While I think it's cool the game has more challenge, sometimes it gets a bit silly; I've had a couple game overs I consider very cheesy. e.g in Chapter 14, Shine has to escape from the enemies! Unfortunately I escaped in the wrong direction so ambush lol you're dead. In Chapter 15, the party is ambushed by bosses; one of them always targets Gilliam (who lacks Alert) and will OHKO him even if he defends. Granted, low hit rate, so evade works decently, but near as I can tell you just have a certain percent chance of game over there. Maybe there was an opportunity to customise his mech and I am forgetting.

Other than the usual minor polish gripes like this (the formation screen stuff is so much more cumbersome than it has to be, WHERE ARE MY DAMAGE PROJECTIONS) I remain modestly impressed by the game. The current villain squad is better than most SRW stuff since they are led by Fenrir and Twilkitri and generally silly.

Also damnit, I knew Sleigh was too good to be true. Very fun mech (COMPETENT FIGHTER JET WTF) + that evade was love. Well, no, I didn't; the game is quite happy to give you hax units and let you keep them; it's SRW and it revels in its broken. Still, sadness. Mystere!Elzam is of course far more amusing than regular Elzam, and a completely broken temp himself. Oh hey 8 FP Focus in a game where most people pay 15 that's balanced now let us give him godly stats decent mech and Accel to go with that nothing can possibly go wrong.

-Kusuha got nerfbatted to hell. Still decent.
-Chain Attack's a pretty cool pickup for Masaki, haven't had much time to mess with him yet.
-I really liked Arado in that mech he got for Chapter 16, too bad he's gone back to something much lamer.
-Game needs more Archibald and Lee, they are amusing.
-So now I am saved where I finally need to pick PCs. Decisions!
-SUPER ROBOT WARS PLOT. Will the DC play out exactly the same way they did in OG1? What hand will Fenrir have in events? Will Mai still have 280,000 HP when she's done pretending she is Fei and joins my party? Will characters continue to remark on the bust size of the teen girl baddie in otherwise 'serious' scenes? Will Katina do something stupid? I can't wait to find out!

Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
Moster Rancher 2

Day X, Month Y

Had a dream that ElfBoy died. Wishing to avoid that, I opted to send him to the lab and have him frozen. I'd heard that combining monsters was a worthwhile endeavor, so I asked the lab tech to do it. While he was preparing Dune~ and ElfBoy for the process, I decided that, given one was a tiny and fragile Hopper and the other was a globby Gaboo, I needed to do something to help the process.

So, while Ashley and the technician were busy, I chucked that plate we found in our hotspring in the machine too. What could go wrong, right?

A lot, apparently. Lemur + Goo + Carved Rock apparently equals woman made of water. Go figure. Given that this put me slightly offbalance, I opted to name this wet tart Nitori.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 10, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
Lefina has defensive supports, or you can just toss the offending units into the Hiryu.  It can take the hits.  Of course, this is all assuming they're close enough to benefit from this, which is very unlikely on the first turn of real combat in the first playthrough.

Of course, it could be worse.  You could have tried to "win" that fight.  Which is actually a lot easier than it sounds, but takes forever and a day.

P4 - Just finished the semester.  Looks like I'm gonna have to hunt down S. Link Tease now, though to him I say "I most certainly can catch you, so you can just go and regret taunting me now"  S.Links...  feel like their progression has actually gotten slower than it was in P3, and with less in the way of time to do them in.  Definatly, more tricks to streamline the process, but the process itself just doesn't work as well without those tricks.  Ah well, at least I figured out how it's  supposed to work, so I have most of what I need to max them on a replay now.  Only other thing I need now is to find the rest of them.  Questions in class are also tougher, with a decent chunk of them being things I haven't heard of before.  Though, at least now when I miss something, it's something I feel is kinda interesting or at least feel like a proper idiot for not catching as opposed to a vague 'oh, how the hell is someone who isn't Japanese supposed to care/know about that?'  Oddly enough, same with cooking lunch, except the only thing I've screwed up there so far is some Japanese dish that I've never heard of before.  My confidence in my culinary skills remains unfoundedly high due to this.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:43 AM »
Of course I'm FAQing it. There's only been one flag for an unmissable PC so far!

Bardiche

« Reply #1785 on: April 10, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
Grinding and juggling (and possibly hamstringing his offense with the XP+ Sealstone >_<), of course. Although it's still impressive, I was clearly overlevelled in the replay and I only got to L55 with Rufus and Phyress just before Lezard.

Regardless, if he failed to one-round Odin, I'll be severely disappointed.

One-rounded him, of course.

And yes, since money never really was an issue for me, I decided to use the XP+ Seal Stone. Missed out on Leone's Valkyrie Favor, but Slashing Sword "Farewell" is nice anyway. I decided not to be ridiculous and GRAIND MOAR since it was pretty boring, but I needed some crystals for returning Seal Stones.

Presently, Rufus does about 32 hits with a single attack thanks to the double hit, Phyress also had Double Edge and Spirit Control to boost my AP meter with her multi-hit attacks, and Alicia and Arngrim (Just got him!!) bust things up with their weapons. I'm looking towards one-rounding Freya, too, but not sure if that'll work out. She was the toughest boss by far for me first time 'round. ( when I was level 32 or something ;_; )

Godslayer for all should work, right? RIGHT?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 10, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
Arngrim hypes?

I used the Hydra and Dylan abuse method to level on my replay.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 10, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »
Presently, Rufus does about 32 hits with a single attack thanks to the double hit, Phyress also had Double Edge and Spirit Control to boost my AP meter with her multi-hit attacks, and Alicia and Arngrim (Just got him!!) bust things up with their weapons. I'm looking towards one-rounding Freya, too, but not sure if that'll work out. She was the toughest boss by far for me first time 'round. ( when I was level 32 or something ;_; )

Godslayer for all should work, right? RIGHT?

Dude, you're going to make her explode. Without Godslayer and over ten levels below your current party, I one-rounded Freya without fuss.

EDIT: This in my first playthrough. Archer solo nonsense was remarkably gorier for her.

Bardiche

« Reply #1788 on: April 10, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
Arngrim hypes?

I used the Hydra and Dylan abuse method to level on my replay.

Fuck yes Arngrim hype. My favourite Heavy Warrior since his SC builds Heat pretty well and it's good at dealing damage. The regular Heavy Warrior SC kind of sucks really bad, but Arngrim's is tolerable. Not to mention he's my only character with all Critical skills (at least the 4 Point ones), so his damage is always sky-high.

I considered using Alicia with a complement of archers only for 20-Hit SCs to add to my already staggeringly high combo-hit counter, but decided against when I figured that variety's the space of life, or unlife was it were for Alicia.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 10, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
All SCs deal the same damage, though yes, Arngrim's adds more energy. Seeing as placing the Heavy Warrior last anyway is usually a good idea (SCs only care about attack, not element nonsense, and HWs are usually the best at this) I don't really see the concern.

More important would just be how the normals perform. Arngrim's damage is certainly much worse than most HWs here, but if you really like how he combos, it's worth it to use him anyway. Found him one of the least useful PCs myself.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:15 PM »
As I've said in the past, I've felt the logic behind Arngrim was "Light Warrior in Heavy Warriors clothing."

He's meant to be a middle ground of the two, IOWs.  He can cmobo better than Heavy Warriors, but generlaly worse than Light Warriors; the damage is the reverse, naturally.  Stat wise, he's somewhat in between as well I believe (his strength stat was low for a Heavy Warrior.)

Basically, you treat him more like a Light Warrior who require smore precise timing, but can do more damage.  Its an interesting idea, but don't think its largely practical, given the nature of Heavy Warrior weapons.

Hrist is essentially the reverse, meanwhile; she equips stuff similar to a Light Warrior, though a unique weapon...yet you'd use her more like a Heavy Warrior.  She ends up working MUCH BETTER for a number of reasons though (better damage out of the gate, unique weapons that are actually good makes for party flexibility...admittedly, her big selling point is Gungnir in the Seraphic Gate, which is absolutely batshit.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 10, 2009, 05:42:33 PM »
PSG2 - Finished.

Hugh completely punks out Dark Force and Mother Brain. Effectively 100% paralysis that only takes two turns to charge while defending, and as if he has anything else to do, and paralysis normally lasts long enough that he can apply it again before they get to do anything. I'm not sure if they can even be paralysed through other means.

I deemed it infeasible to map from the television and ended up looking up maps on the net. As such I did not have the true PS2 experience, which is somewhat depressing.

Didn't do any item creation so I'm not sure how well that works. Looked somewhat tedious though.

Thoughts-

Rolf might want this form. He gets mid-level water/ice and lightning magic in case he could ever take advantage of those and couldn't use Megid/Nagrants for whatever reason. Probably doesn't care about Royal Guard (three turn invincibility) since it takes 6 turns to charge up on pure defence, let alone him actually attacking, and one of those turns is wasted casting it. Seems like Megid was more powerful as well but I'm not sure on this.

Nei definitely wants this form, assuming she gets scaled to the time she leaves. Deband, Shifta, and Naresta. And Rust Force that completely restores TP. And she has roughly twice the TP that she did in the original. Last Force does take a while to charge but she has several dozen whiles.

Rudolf definitely wants this form. 400 damage in Revenge that only takes two turns to charge on defence or three turns on level 1 attacks.

Amy probably doesn't care. Nareverser is nigh-useless in a duel. She doesn't get any new techs that I can remember.

Hugh probably wants this form for Sulphur hax. He gets some ice/water magic as well. Seems like Volt/Savolt took a cut in accuracy though, although I may have just been considerably unlucky.

I don't think that Anna wants this form. It seems like her damage got cut back or something. Medical Treat is more worthless duel-wise than Nareverser. No new techs as far as I remember.

Kain may want this form for Burst Touch, but it takes three turns of defence to bring up so I think that's pushing the limits of his ability to survive that long. Seems like Brosedan took a hit in accuracy as well but it may have also been my luck. He does get some lightning magic, so he has options there that aren't robot-specific. Could be worth it.

Shir probably wants this form for Tornado. Another two turns of defence one. Whether she can hold out this long is debatable, and it's the weakest attack skill, but it's probably better than anything she currently has >_>

Cannot really speak for Neifirst, Dark Force, or Mother Brain as they all got effectively shut down. What a pity.

Decent on the whole, but I'm not sure whether I'd call it superior to the original? In some areas it is, but it has other things dragging it down.

SRWK - Up to episode 17.

Seems nice enough so far. Unsure what I really think about the partner system yet.

Bardiche

« Reply #1792 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
All SCs deal the same damage, though yes, Arngrim's adds more energy. Seeing as placing the Heavy Warrior last anyway is usually a good idea (SCs only care about attack, not element nonsense, and HWs are usually the best at this) I don't really see the concern.

More important would just be how the normals perform. Arngrim's damage is certainly much worse than most HWs here, but if you really like how he combos, it's worth it to use him anyway. Found him one of the least useful PCs myself.

... really. I should level Adonis Gerald or Dyn to Arngrim level and compare then...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 10, 2009, 06:10:27 PM »
Didn't get Zunde? Dylan is probably the best Heavy Warrior apart from him but yeah that isn't exactly helpful to you right now ;p
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:13:18 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 10, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
Zunde is sorta rare, actually, so it kinda makes sense. In two playthroughs, I didn't get Zunde. At least, I wasn't stuck with AARON either (not that it matters, none of them are archers).

Bardiche

« Reply #1795 on: April 10, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »
No, I didn't get Zunde. I didn't feel like resetting since my last save had been in Audoula pre-turgen mine and boss, so yeah.

I also got Roland instead of Kraad again so I'm sort of fffffffffffffffff at my Einherjar draw.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 10, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
FFVII - Half Day/No Saves - Still. The same one I started around this time yesterday - I've left it on pause most of the time, so my in-game clock is actually barely over 2 hours. I should play more and pause less.
Still, 2 hours 3 minutes and I'm starting the Hundred Gunner fight. That's pretty damn good by my reckoning.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 10, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »
S5- In Raftfleet after LOLBAROWSPLOT. Recruited who I could at this point, ready to set out on my way. Currently using Kyle/Lelei/Lun/Lyon/Freyjadour/Sialeeds.

Bardiche

« Reply #1798 on: April 10, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »
VP2: Freya: ORKO'd.

Lezard Homunculus: ORKO'd.

Silmeria Homunculus: ORKO'd.

Lezard For Real: 2RKO'd.

Lezard For Really Real: .....................

There has to be some faster way to break this damn crystal. Psychosoma + Observation + Fists of Iron + Mental Boost does not werk evidently.

Lezard Final Boss: 1RKO'd. Mass Einherjar releases for 99 Fencer Familiarity hooray!

So. Seraphic Gate time. Joy. Joy.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1799 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:02 PM »
No, I didn't get Zunde. I didn't feel like resetting since my last save had been in Audoula pre-turgen mine and boss, so yeah.

I also got Roland instead of Kraad again so I'm sort of fffffffffffffffff at my Einherjar draw.

I liked Kraad because you get the KRAADICATOR when you release him, and why would you turn down such an obvious pun?