Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676299 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #1850 on: April 12, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »
VP2 - Still dicking around. Got enough Helgi Swords to release the rest of my Light Warriors (one of them grabbed the Dainslef once I got Levantine, because srsly who cares about Dainslef), but my sorcerers will get Ethereal Queen/Gabriel Celeste staves or bust. Meanwhile, Rufus' MAG score hovers in the 3k area.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: April 13, 2009, 02:15:33 AM »
PWI:  Level 54 Blademaster, level 46 Cleric.  Someone in my faction just gave me a flying sword worth 5 gold.  Yay.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1852 on: April 13, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »
Fallout 3- So you know what's the best thing ever? The Dark Tower mod.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: April 13, 2009, 01:47:03 PM »
That said, Niu, just stop, don't play it, there is nothing extra it gives you.  Go play Torment.

Oh come now, games never give you anything but the enjoyment (hopefully) of having played them.  The player, not the game, should define whether playing more is a worthwhile experience.

There is playing games for the enjoyment it brings and there is replaying the aftergame dungeon (whole game?) 5 times for different difficulty levels.  Keeping in mind that the game is like 2 months old.  This isn't revisiting something because it brings pleasure, this is Niu being crazy obsessive like he is >_>
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:34 PM »
VP2 - Ethereal Queen mk. II! Well, seems like I shouldn't go for Desperate Soldier Law. Pity, 60k Gungnir swings and 200k Nibelung Valestis are sexy. Do Nectar Potions immune Transfer, though? I used one on my first outing, and she missed everybody both times she casted Astral Maze - I don't even have anyone with Conquerer's Armors equipped.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
FFX - Yay for being in Europe and thus having the Dark Aeons and Penance to fight. Means I can get the shit kicked out of me in seconds despite having almost all stats maxed.
Dark Yojimbo Ambushed with Wazikashi. Thankfully, Auron had First Strike, and Auto-Life-d Yuna, who then Auto-Lifed herself again. She then got hit by Daigoro - instant petrification and shatter in one. Game Over in two enemy turns! Great! Time to go back to maxing stats completely...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:33 PM »
FFX - Yay for being in Europe and thus having the Dark Aeons and Penance to fight. Means I can get the shit kicked out of me in seconds despite having almost all stats maxed.
Dark Yojimbo Ambushed with Wazikashi. Thankfully, Auron had First Strike, and Auto-Life-d Yuna, who then Auto-Lifed herself again. She then got hit by Daigoro - instant petrification and shatter in one. Game Over in two enemy turns! Great! Time to go back to maxing stats completely...

Oh yes, I feel distinctly privileged to live in a section of the world that gets forcibly locked out of end game sidequests and amps up the FAQbait part of Tidus Celestial weapon way past 11.  HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT, I PUT A SUPERBOSS IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD.  I ALSO DIDN'T MENTION IT EXISTED TO YOU SO NOW THAT YOU HAVE UNLOCKED THE AIRSHIP AND FILLING OUT THOSE ARENA SPECIES FIGHT ISN'T INSANELY TEDIOUS GIVES YOU SURPRISE SUPERBOSSES  YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF BEATING LOL.  Genius fucking game design right there.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: April 13, 2009, 11:08:45 PM »
Yeah, I did get pissed off by that, but then after the first death (Dark Bahamut, so the Caladbolg thing, yeah), I figured it was best to just save at every freaking opportunity. Eventually, I'd found most of them - hadn't found Yojimbo or Shiva, but I could guess where they were pretty easily, so all was fine after that.

Beating them, on the other hand, is still a bitch.

Bardiche

« Reply #1858 on: April 13, 2009, 11:09:41 PM »
Mana Khemia: Just got Pamela and Flay to join my party. Hooray.

... Is it just me or is Pamela pretty... good? I've yet to really get into trouble with her HP score thanks to support, and Flay spamming Shooting Star deals fine enough with any random encounter, but Pamela seems pretty great at healing what with her REVIVE AT FULL SP gimmick. (of course, I haven't managed to get her killed just yet, but mm.)

Need to get some seaweed now so I can make enough Ple... Plea... something-or-another cloth to fix up a bunch of equips for everyone and unlock more AP sinks.

I should really stop wasting Vayne's AP on Magic+10, but even with all that Magic+10 boosts he still has 2,000 AP left. ;_;

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
Don't worry about saving AP, you get more than enough to build everything you want.

Bardiche

« Reply #1860 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:18 PM »
That's my point. I have 2,000 left even with using it madly on everything I can.

Just checked the stat topic for everyone and suddenly I like Pamela a whole lot more. >_> Is her physical immunity as godly as I think it is?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 14, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »
Spades: FUCK THIS GAME
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 14, 2009, 12:31:55 AM »

In case you were wondering, this is what Super was talking about. ^_^

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 14, 2009, 12:34:19 AM »
Spades: FUCK THIS GAME

FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES.FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES.FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES.FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES.FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES. FUCK SPADES.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 14, 2009, 12:37:28 AM »
I'm not sure what was my favorite part: Losing a shoot because I clicked on the wrong card, managing to GO FURTHER IN THE FUCKING HOLE AT -200 THANKS TO OVERBOOKS, getting my solo A of hearts spaded, setting Yakko and Tal all of like twice, getting trumped literally 50 times by Yakko. So many moments to choose from.

FUCK. SPADES.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 14, 2009, 12:38:36 AM »
I thought Pamela was so bad that she was the first person I benched. Weird.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:45 AM »
Pamela isn't very good early on (poor durability, magic score is below the others), but gets better at endgame.  Being immortal has its uses (it's not revive to full SP, but restores like 40%) and Poltergeist deals good AoE break damage at the time, but not really a great PC or anything.

Later on, physical immunity and MT parasitic healing make her quite a bit better.  Some of the statuses are kinda decent too (Slow reams some optional bosses, for example).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:04 AM »
Is her physical immunity as godly as I think it is?

Not even close.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:10 AM »
HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT, I PUT A SUPERBOSS IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD.  I ALSO DIDN'T MENTION IT EXISTED TO YOU SO NOW THAT YOU HAVE UNLOCKED THE AIRSHIP AND FILLING OUT THOSE ARENA SPECIES FIGHT ISN'T INSANELY TEDIOUS GIVES YOU SURPRISE SUPERBOSSES  YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF BEATING LOL.  Genius fucking game design right there.

This is nothing new, remember Omega wandering around in your way in FF5?

Or hell, Warmech was a random monster in FF1.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1869 on: April 14, 2009, 01:18:03 AM »
Shin Megami Tensei - Played through SMT1, SMT2, and even played around with 'Shin Megami Tensei if...' for a little bit. God bless fan translators. Aeon Genesis did a really nice localization, actually. I especially like their dialogue for Law characters - they do a really good job capturing the feel of the King James version of the Bible. Also, apart from the fact that these games -require- emulation-assisted fast-forwarding, they're pretty fun to play. Especially the demon recruiting. As for plot... while not the first time the issue has been tackled, the SMT series does a good job of using mythology and religion to make a pretty entertaining story. And I like the fact that there's a choice besides 'Mother Teresa' and 'Adolf Hitler'... of course, in SMT, Chaos-aligned 'Adolf Hitler' looks WAAAY nicer than Law-aligned 'Mother Teresa'... Which is a nice, if predictable, subversion.

Jack Frost is adorable and I can never bring myself to not keep one around even into the endgame. I don't use him for anything, I just keep him around in the computer and bring him out when I need to remind myself that I'm playing Pokemon (long before Pokemon ever existed).

Also, all 3 SMT mains for High Godlike hype. They have unique summoning a la Yuna... Broken and awesome. Really looking forward to SMT Nocturne, but I must wait for my care package from America to arrive before I can start...

DDS1+2 were a great way to start the SMT series - it was really easy to get into and I LOVED all the Hindu mythological references. It's clear that these games were made by people who are 'mythology otaku' and aren't ashamed of it. I salute them. They were quite a few demons/gods/creatures that I'd never heard of before, but thankfully wikipedia exists and now I've learned WAAAY more about Celtic and Hindu folklore than I ever expected I'd care about. Between DDS1/2 and SMT1/2, it's been really easy to remember relationships between pantheons of gods (particularly confusing ones like Japanese/Shinto folklore). Ah - video games: Educational, Fun, and Anti-Christian. No wonder they never made it to America...

During the wait:
Tales of Vesperia: Hey! I'm still playing this! Character interaction is amazing! Recently got Judith and I love her. I hope she eclipses Estelle as the 'love interest', even if Estelle retains her role as Lead Female/Heroine.

Yuri/Judy is probably the best romantic interplay I've seen in an RPG (not saying much), and it would be a shame to see it wasted. Still, even if it's just playful flirting and nothing comes of it - it's fun to watch. Romantic subplots in RPGs generally are pretty painful, so it's a nice change.

The story is still pretty good right now, though I can see the trainwrecks coming. There are a LOT of opposing factions in this game... I can see it's going to be very. very. long.

In normal anime, there's the protagonist and his rival. If ToV were normal anime, Yuri would be the Rival while Flynn is obviously the Protagonist. ToV decided they were tired of that scenario and made the Rival -likeable- for a change. ...and then made him the main character. This is why Yuri is fun to watch, and Flynn benefits from the usual likeable tropes normally associated with the Protagonist.

Nice job, ToV.

Repede's disinterest in Estelle makes for the most hilarious skits.
*Judith and Repede getting along*
Estelle: What? Why does he like -you-? *seems to be on the verge of tears*
Raven: Maybe this dog only likes pretty girls?
Estelle: *still sounding pitiable* But -I'M- a pretty girl!
*Everyone just kind of sweatdrops at her outburst*

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 14, 2009, 01:51:26 AM »
HEY GUYS CHECK THIS OUT, I PUT A SUPERBOSS IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD.  I ALSO DIDN'T MENTION IT EXISTED TO YOU SO NOW THAT YOU HAVE UNLOCKED THE AIRSHIP AND FILLING OUT THOSE ARENA SPECIES FIGHT ISN'T INSANELY TEDIOUS GIVES YOU SURPRISE SUPERBOSSES  YOU HAVE NO CHANCE OF BEATING LOL.  Genius fucking game design right there.

This is nothing new, remember Omega wandering around in your way in FF5?

Or hell, Warmech was a random monster in FF1.

That's not really the same - while Omega is in your way and can kick your ass, he's right after a save point and you can sneak past him. You can't sneak past Dark Aeons - they exist permanently to block your way from getting items you can get in the maingame. It's bad game design... excusable because it was originally in an expanded version of the game intended for folks who had already played FFX, but then it got turned into the vanilla version of FFX for Europe and Australia.

Warmech isn't a superboss in any way, shape, or form - Chaos destroys him at everything.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:07 AM »
VP2 - Godlike Dirna mk. II, here we go!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 14, 2009, 03:49:23 AM »
Warmech isn't a superboss in any way, shape, or form - Chaos destroys him at everything.

Eh, I consider it a harder fight than Chaos.  Particularly relative to where you fight him.  Think he even has more HP than Chaos if I remember the old map that came with the game correctly.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:08 AM »
Djinn- Nicknaming SMT Law side as Mother Teresa is an insult to Mother Teresa.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 14, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »
Nope. 1000 to Chaos' 2000. 20 less Defence, too. His best damage is weaker than Chaos' by something like 50 points, and only used 25% of the time anyway. And he lacks Chaos' nasty MT ID. They're not even comparable. I actually found Tiamat tougher than Warmech, but that's largely just personal experience - on paper the two are about evenly matched, with WarMech not having to worry about elemental resistance while Tiamat actually uses its magic much more often (they are equal on stats). Chaos though is much stronger.

EDIT: Why the hell do I know this much about FF1. *punts that game, or more accurately the time he spent on it*

Maybe.