Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 676145 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2000 on: April 21, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the manual sucks at explaining how best to use the Sol system.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 21, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »
Twil: personally, I'd say don't worry about time or number of saves for the purpose of improving D-ratio. Not on a first run, at least, when just getting through the game is hard enough. There are other factors which influence your D-ratio for the next cycle--map clearance, number of treasure chests opened, frequency of you taking the initiative in battle, endgame levels (higher = better in all cases)--and these are all things you want to be doing well at anyway since they're conducive to survival. Oh, clearing the bonus dungeon is also factored in, but I'm assuming no one does that on the first run.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
WoW: Fought Yog, didn't quite make it to phase three before stopping for the night.  Feels doable though, just need less tunnel-vision in the front DPS group in phase one.

Oh, and Captain K?  Expect a large amount of stuff to be sent to your Cleric in PW shortly.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 21, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
It isn't a HUGE bother in the first run through the game (Other than losing a bag slot to a ton of save tokens that are thrown in there), but it is not conducive to the way the game was meant to be played.  The retarded thing is the whole reason it wasn't put in was because we don't have the PS2 hard drive officially supported in the PAL regions... which doesn't prevent you from using the other save style to memory card anyway.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 21, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
MK: Chap 11 finished.  So I get all these awesome armor synths and such...and now more than ever I want to strangle the creators for the 2 room synth thing.  I mean, seriously, was there ANY reason for that?  I'm confident i can make most of this stuff, but fuck, its so inconvenient to go back and forth just to make one object needed for a synth chain.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 22, 2009, 02:32:46 AM »
FF5a: Randomly getting back to this. VBA of course.

So, uh, Mix + Summon = gg game, apparently. My first time playing with a chemist in FF5. I can't say I'm disapointed in the slightest.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 22, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »
FF5a: Randomly getting back to this. VBA of course.

So, uh, Mix + Summon = gg game, apparently. My first time playing with a chemist in FF5. I can't say I'm disapointed in the slightest.

For just raw power, though, go for a Wanderer with Ninja, Hunter, and Mystic Swordsman mastered; dual-wielding Flare Swords hitting four times each hurts a lot.  People can 2TKO Omega with that combo, changing out Thundaga for Flare.  Also deals with several of the end-game gimmick enemies if you enchant the swords with Osmose.

God Hand - Go away, Stage 7.  You suck. Just beat Great Sensei's Revenge.

BvS - So, uh, yeah.  All my characters will have Polar Stars soon.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 22, 2009, 02:56:40 AM »
Yeah, I've used that before. Great combo, but not quite as amusing as hitting a boss with immunity ignoring Berserk, then putting up Golem and laughing your ass off.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 22, 2009, 02:57:23 AM »
MK - I dunno, I'm just really bored.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 22, 2009, 03:05:19 AM »
People can 2TKO Omega with that combo

Actually, you can OHKO him with it. Might need really good weaponry, but I definitely recall doing it to the five (or was it six?) Omegas you fight in the aftergame dungeon.

Summon and Mix are both great, though. FF5 has so much shiny.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: April 22, 2009, 03:58:30 AM »
Oh, and Captain K?  Expect a large amount of stuff to be sent to your Cleric in PW shortly.

Got it.  Thank you and Soppy both.  Had to put the Light Armor in auction house, since I couldn't find anyone in that level range that uses LA.

Already upgraded Soppy's wings to +3.00.  I am now made of bling.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 22, 2009, 04:11:20 AM »
So, the new classes in 5a. Anyone have any thoughts on them? Just unlocked them, figured I'd give 'em a spin.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 22, 2009, 04:13:41 AM »
So, the new classes in 5a. Anyone have any thoughts on them? Just unlocked them, figured I'd give 'em a spin.

Try using Oracle. Report your thoughts on it. I have high expectations.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 22, 2009, 04:22:53 AM »
Dokapon Journey: A STING game. This being a STING game, you can expect: 1) A fun game and 2) Nice music. This is exactly what I got. STING never fails to deliver~ It's basically a board game with RPG elements, where you can play against CPU bots, WiFi or adhoc. The aim is to liberate cities in order to amass a shitload of money for the king. Whoever has the most money by the end wins, and they get 10k bonus gold~ Liberating cities is key, this gives you a lot of cash and allows you to heal at these towns for free. AND! If some schlep dies trying to liberate a town, the monster who was guarding it doesn't restore their HP - you can STEAL THEIR KILL. Which is awesome~
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 22, 2009, 04:35:33 AM »
I also appear to have missed Mighty Guard so far. Anyone know where I can pick that up in World 3?
<%Laggy> no not really.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 22, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
An enemy called Stingray, a 1/16 encounter in the ocean near Sunken Walse Tower (where you got Mime). Bring someone with Control.

Anyway, don't have much to add about the new classes; the time I did the aftergame I was breaking the game pretty badly so the only use I had for them was mastering them for game-best Strength (Gladiator) and Magic (Oracle). Gladiator and Cannoneer both have some neat abilities on paper, though.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 22, 2009, 05:19:17 AM »
Persona 4: 10/1 Spent an hour item hunting because I didn't do a bunch of quests early on in the game.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 22, 2009, 05:37:37 AM »
SRWK Unit evaluations:

I misjudged the number of deployments you got on the final map, ended up having to drop a few people. In hindsight it's probably for the best that I messed up all the secrets besides Heine who sucks, as I dunno where I'd find the room to even use them.

-Solverius Rex/Regina (Levrias + Selverius)

Levrias was a really unimpressive Banpresto Original for the first half of the game. Its stats weren't much different from an MP Huckebein aside from the combo attacks with the other originals, but building up the 130 will needed to actually use the combo attack wasn't easy early on when the game didn't go crazy with reinforcements. The lack of Focus on Mist was really annoying as well, he didn't feel suited for piloting a real. The other two originals were pure subs, with repair+resupply for providing regen and a shield for support defense but nothing better than 2500 power in terms of weapons. Then it eventually gets a new finisher and a lambda-driver like damaging boosting skill (Crystal Heart) and becomes a nice offensive unit, though still requiring some watching defensively.

Solverius on the other hand made up for those 20-odd stages and then some. Rex is the best chain attacker in the game along with Dann; get Crystal Heart skill up and feed Mist two chain attack chips and it can trivially kill six grunts per turn. Great boss damage as well, and having Focus/Accelerate/Alert on a subpilot was quite nice. Defense was not that great from what I saw, but that was fine since it could dodge well. Regina had repair/resupply and a MAP, but lacked the damage boosting version of Crystal Heart so it was less useful, IMO. The MAP had the same AoE as (Strike) Freedom's but not the same damage, it was more of a group softener than a mass cleaner so I generally preferred using Rex instead. The -10 will effect on the MAP was nice, at least.

-Mazinger Z + Boss Borot

Mazinger was rather unimpressive until it got the upgrade, at which point it became solid. Good defense+S rank in ground, and Mazin Power raised its damage to acceptable levels while making the defense really nice. Never a great grunt smasher though, and Daisharin Rocket Punch being non-P was meh for bosses. Ended up dropping it on the last map due to running out of space.

-Godannar Twin Drive (Godannar + Go Okusaer)

Godannar's all about pure beatdown power. It has no fancy systems whatsoever and little in the way of range, but somehow it ended up just murderous offensively by endgame, doing 9-10K as a chain attacker despite only modest power. Combining meant it was a bit slower to build up will later on, but two pilots worth of combat spirits was nice given the SP limits mentioned above.

-Gaiking (+ Serpent)

Gaiking is probably the best all-around unit of the stuff you get really early on, not to mention the only super with a completely free weapon. Then it just keeps a series of progressively stronger, more expensive finishers. Kept it paired with the Serpent for most of the game for much needed EN regen and the best of the first set of Gaiking combo attacks, but when Lee moved over to Vulking I noticed Daiya had finally picked up a level of chain naturally and tried running him solo with an Aster Panel equipped for EN regen. Daiya's a good enough pilot to make that work even with moderately powered C weapons.

As for Gaiking Great, it has hands down the best stats of any PC unit in the game, but it guzzles more EN than the entire state of California. Not a single non-EN chugging attack and a whopping 144 EN for its ultimate AFTER EN save, meaning it'd run out insanely fast if you tried to use it for anything besides one shot of huge damage against a boss.

-Vulking
-Raiking

They combine with Gaiking to form Gaiking the Great, but are pretty good on their own. Figuring out how to use them best was a bit of a conundrum, though. A lot of people like to pair them with mid-tier units that can work solo. Thing is, both have really nice range 1 C weapons and... little to nothing else in the way of C weapons. Not ideal for situational PU usage! What I ended up doing was having all three *kings run around solo for chaining grunts, then combine them the turn before fighting the boss. Decombine and have Raiking/Vulking use their ranged ultimates, then combine back for Face Open the Great and probably use up the last of Great's energy.

-New Jeeg + Big Shooter (new)
-Old Jeeg + Big Shooter (old)

The Jeegs are really badass here, perhaps to makeup for A3 Jeeg. Bronze Bell power is hax (+25% damage dealt, -25% damage received, +10% evade), they both have an S rank in ground, and they have lots of strong attacks. Old Jeeg inheriting upgrades from the new one is one of the few really abusable cases of inheritence in the game. The Shooters provide much needed Accel and Mach Drill, which is ammo based and terrifically damaging. Breaks through support defend too, making them the only things that can do so easily while partnered up. Double Spin Storm is terrific, and then Koutetsushin Jeeg comes along and is stronger than every other attack in the game. Even before factoring in Bronze Bell Power.

-King Gainer

Easily sets the gold standard for evasion in K, although diminishing returns keeps that in check somewhat. S Size, S rank in air, really high base mobility, and Oversense let it dodge damn near everything. Movement is great as well, but the weapons are only moderately powerful. He ended up being used mainly as a grunt-softener with his early chain levels, leaving the kills to stronger but less durable units.

-Dann of Thursday

Really damned badass. Van's high skill stat makes Counter and Sword Cut activate really often, and I fed him a bunch of +skill parts just for overkill. It would often go through maps completely untouched by grunts, and even if Counter failed it took hits just fine. One of the best chain attackers in the game, though you need to feed him skill parts to really take advantage of it. Weapons are solid from the get-go, and later on it gets an S rank in ground, more finishers, Overflow... yeah. Easily one of the best units in the game.

-Murasame/Hayate/Mugen Liger + Lanstag Break

S rank in ground made the Liger quite efficient at dodging from the get-go, but its weapons were kinda middling so I paired it up with Lanstag for EN regen + Support Attack. Ruuji only gets L1 chain naturally off middling C weapons so I opted to keep it paired up all the way through the end. Mainly ended up using Hayate Liger form for the higher movement, ability to hit air, and DoubleImage. Mugen Liger isn't nearly as bad as I'd heard, but not really as useful as Hayate. The Liger Change Attack was nice, though, and sealed its status as a one man Getter.

Re Mii's Lanstag is on the incredibly short list of resupply units who can support attack worth a damn in terms of damage, which just makes it all the more frustrating that the second Lanstag you get later on is a repair unit instead. There are quite a few solid repair mechs, but lategame I'm much more likely to sacrifice chain attacks for EN regen than HP regen, given some of the game's EN hogs.

-Dangaioh + Sirius II

Dangaioh's selling point is having 4 pilots without sacrificing any attack power or durability, unlike say, J Combattler/Voltes. Sadly Strike and Valor are only on one pilot, but having Alert/Accel/Snipe/Gain/Luck/Guts on subs was still nice. It had Mazinger-level EN issues though, so it really needed a resupply unit for regen. I didn't have anywhere else to really put the second Sirius, so it worked here. Getting HP regen as well didn't hurt, certainly.

-Strike Freedom

Jesus Yamato really lived up to his name in this game. SEED mode's +25% damage modifier made Strike Freedom's already strong weapon payload absolutely brutal, and even the middling beam rifle could OHKO grunts after getting will up. Only one shot of the MAP, but it could dish out 5 digit damage without Valor, making it great for earning cash and clearing out a whole field worth of annoying enemies. The combination attacks made it one of the best boss killers to boot. Toss in innate 25% EN regen built and an S rank that shifts from Air to space as appropriate and you have one of best PCs in the game.

Range-oriented pilots much rarer than melee-oriented ones in this game, so Kira has comparatively fewer competition for +range and Gunfight parts. The latter especially, as many of the worthwhile range-oriented pilots (Maya, Ray, Gain, etc.) have natural Gunfight in this game. I saved all my Gunfight parts for about 15 maps, saw every single RR main to that point use a melee finisher and just dumped all my Gunfight parts on Kira, making him all the better as a pilot.

-Infinite Justice

It had the same 25% EN regen and combo attacks as Strike Freedom, but Infinite Justice was flat out worse elsewhere. Much more limited ranged options, no MAP, and a melee/range split on weapons diverting Athrun's twink potential. A stronger P weapon is the only advantage over SF, but I mainly used chain attacks if I wanted a P weapon anyhow. Still a good unit though, just not top tier.

-Destiny

Arondight was my first really good chain weapon, since I didn't get a chain skill chip for Van until after the Destiny units joined up. Shinn had good movement and could pretty much kill whatever squad he wanted from the start of the map, and the same regen as SF/IJ meant no EN issues ever. Pretty clearly better than Athrun but not up to Jesus Yamato's level. Also, the dynamic kill on Full Open Combination is hilarious.

-Akatsuki (Cagalli)

Only unit I swapped pilots on, SEED mode made Cagalli a much better pilot than Mwu. Akatsuki was quite potent in space maps, but the Flight Pack version was kinda disappointing; a 4000 power finisher is middling, even if it is cheap, and after that it has nothing besides the generic beam rifle and beam sabre. SEED mode salvages its value somewhat by making them above average C weapons, at least. It does get an S rank no matter what like Strike Freedom at least, which is nice.

-Eternal

This one really caught me by surprised. I'm used to the Eternal being total suckage, but here it could OHKO a lot of grunts, had tons of durability, and could repair and resupply with the built in double regen as a bonus. Lacus had Bless and Cheer and was actually competent as a pilot for once. Throw in the combo attacks with SF/IJ, which don't actually take any EN from the Eternal since it doesn't initiate, and I ended up deploying it on every single map.

-Fei-Yen

I tried out Temjin and Hatter and found them kinda underwhelming, but Fei-Yen was pretty good. Emotional Mode makes her the only one of the trio to have a natural S rank, and it's not hard to trigger 140 will on a solo unit. Against grunts she can either snipe from range (Hit&Away helps here, luckily there's not many people who want it) or use her C attacks to soften groups. A bit weak against bosses, but Luck and (really late) Hope have uses at least.

-Mark Sein

Really solid all-around real, although it doesn't quite stand out a whole lot against non-Festums. Good C weapon, solid ranged attack for counterattacks, and Shangri-La as a default BGM is quite excellent.

-Mark Seiben + Mark Acht

Toomi Maya's one of the best snipers in the game with natural Hit&Away and lots of Gunfight. Mark Sieben's C weapon is short ranged and wimpy though, so I opted for a partner instead for support attack to snipe at whatever grunt isn't getting support defended. The Mark Acht is perfect for that, with weapon ranges that match Seiben's perfectly but much less movement.

-Mark Drei + Diana A

Well I had three parts of Cross Dock, so I figured might as well toss in the fourth, since I needed someone to babysit Sayaka and feed her exp. Problem is that Cross Dock costs a whopping 120x4 EN from units that have 230ish EN maxed out, which really ruins the point of a strong four-unit combination attack. It did the babysitting part just fine at least, so I don't regret using the Mark Drei. Bit of a waste of Kanon's chain attacking skills (every single weapon is C in her version of Drei), but I wouldn't deploy her at all otherwise so eh.

-El Dora Soul

The single tankiest unit in the game, with S-rank in Ground and El Dora Block shaving 1000 damage off everything and four pilots worth of SP. It even picked up Valor on a second pilot later on, unlike Dangaioh. The cheap spammable -10 will C weapon was also quite nice and helped save me from quite a few boss MAP attacks. Mediocre boss damage was its only significant drawback.

Tragically it lost Infierno y Cielo when it joined permanently, but Mexican Gaogaigar was still managed to be the awesomest unit in the game, as the burning passion of the four geezers smashed evil in the face.

-Stargazer + Celleblader

Stargazer is the best non-Eternal repair mech in the game, with tons of durability and two pilots. Offensively it was stronger than I expected; it won't do much to bosses, but the attacks are chainable and spammable. Sadly I didn't have the deployment space to really take advantage of Volte Luminaire being 3950 1-2 C as I was running out of deployment slots.

Celleblader kinda sucks, but it's necessary for Godannar Triple Drive, a 7000+ base power finisher for Godannar, so somebody had to lug it around. Stargazer worked well enough for that with its massive durability. At least Celleblader has enough durability to take a few stray enemy chain attacks, whereas stuff like Sirius II and the shooters have gotten blown away before when I got careless.

-Rainbow Jerk Wind

I used it just because I liked Kotona Elegance. <_< Really mobile healer with S rank in air eventually, but not much damage. Benched for the final map for stuff with actual firepower.

-Temjin a8 Vystein

Really damned badass on stats, with SSSS rank for terrains unlike the 747 Temjin model. Much stronger weapons, too. Then again, when you join with a grand total of three stages (auto-deployed for two of them!) remaining you better as hell have killer stats.

-Daiku Maryu

Solid battleship, even better if you don't deploy Gaiking but that's not worth it ever. Tons of durability - DoubleImage on a battleship is just hilarious, and some sort of barrier on the vollution mode was helpful. Dragon Cutter being a solid post-movement weapon made it more usable than the average battleship, and the pilot got natural chain attack just in time for enemy support defend spamming, too. Couldn't do all that much damage against the really durable lategame bosses, though, where it was largely reduced to being a meatshield - at least it was good at that, and kept some pressure off my frail support units.

-Archangel

Raw durability's comparable to Daiku, but it had almost no post-movement options for weapons and was much more EN dependent for damage so I didn't bother to use it. Kinda wish I could've deployed the Eternal in its slot instead, but oh well.

Kill leaders right before the final map were Van (240), Kira (215), and Shinn (137). Think Mist passed Shinn on the last map due to massive chain attack spamming, but I don't feel like checking right now. The stat boosts for aces tended to result in the strongest units getting further ahead of the field unless you specifically farmed kills for a certain character. There were quite a few characters I would've liked to use but ran out of space (or space terrain parts) for, but that's what replays are for.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:09 AM »
L4D-New pack hit today, so me and Eph played some levels in Survival Mode

First of all, they nerfed melee. THEY NERFED MELEE. You get about 5 or 6 swings before you have to recharge. And you can't just wait for the bar to fill up, you have to wait even longer than that to get back up to full swinging. As someone who has been playing nothing but Expert for the last few months, where melee is your lifeblood, this really fucks me over.

Another thing is that you get a Horde and a Tank at the same time. Also, up to 3 or 4 smokers, hunters, or boomers at the same time. Things get chaotic fast, and pipe bombs all of a sudden are elevated to a godlike status.

On the plus side, the difficulty seems to hover around Advanced. Which isn't easy, but perfectly doable. Tanks actually die when you shoot them, getting surrounding by a few zombies is no longer a death sentence, etc.

We played Last Stand (the lighthouse level), where we barely got up to 3 minutes. Then No Mercy, where we actually got Bronze. Finally, we played Death Toll which was by far the easiest and where we got our current highest total of 7 minutes 17 seconds, just barely netting us a Silver. And that was accomplished by me running away and holing up in a corner, fending off 3 Hunters, then lasting until the Tank dropped down and smacked me around. Then Eph's Xbox froze and one of my Friends joined, like, instantly so he had to settle for playing one of the new versus maps with pubbies.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 22, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »
ARGH.  ARGHARGH.  Nerfed Melee is going to put a real damper on my shit going bad tactics.  Oh well, I will learn I guess.

Guitar Hero - Picked up a Rock Band guitar today to bring us back up to 2 functioning(ish) guitars.  I am going to replace the other one that is only mildly broken later with an X-Box release of the Les Paul probably.  It is weird playing without the click, but you get by, did just as well on Satch Boogie Easy as I do, so that is fine.  It might be a bit harder with learning songs?  I royally fucked up the end of Sweet Home Alabama on Bass, but it could just be that country style songs eat dick (Seriously, less fucking country on the next game, kay?  kay.)  I will pick up Metallica in a couple of months when it finally fucking comes out, because the Coming Soon shit at EB has only been up for a month and when I went looking for it today figuring that a few weeks after the States and having seen shit for it everywhere it might finally be out.  I was wrong.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 22, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »

Oracle: iffy at best commands, great support,  little more magic for your doublecasters.

Gladiator:  Finish is fun, Bladeblitz is pretty much a better Kick.

Cannoneer: a couple of their shots are goofy like Mix.

Necromancer:  interesting spells, undead isn't as much a pain as bone mail

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 22, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »
WoW - Iron Council down, Ignis Down, single pull on Kologarn just for a look while we were disbanding the raid.  Awesome fun and a really yoyo raid.  Our only dedicated main healer (2 alts!  Progression team is sliding) was late, so we did Emalon run.  Went to do Flame Leviathan and call it.  Did that.  Then the healer was on.  So we did XT, one shot.  Razorscale, one shot.  Kay.  Kill Ignis in 4 pulls.  Kill Iron Council in next to nothing at all.  Fantastic raid and done in really short order.

Amazing night.  Oh and there was rage quit in the middle of it as well, but we sorted that.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 22, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »
Prepare to be shocked, awed, and/or (more likely) completely apathetic to the following. I'd include more fanfare, but I'm sleepy.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - In the DS.

In other news, I finally got around to beating Alien Hominid, on all three difficulties. Also cleared Superstar Planets in Sega Superstars Tennis. The game is definitely a step below the Mario Tennis titles (heck, it's a step below Super Tennis), but it's really hard to screw up tennis.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 23, 2009, 03:58:56 AM »
MK: ITS DONE! ITS FUCKING DONE! I'M FINALLY DONE! FUCK YOU NIS AND YOUR SHITTING PORTING JOBS AND YOUR *insert 186 page complaint here*

...ok, whining about the shitastic port this version was aside, MK wasn't all that bad.  Or at least it WOULDN'T have been, I think, but yes, the Load Times in the PSP version is just THAT BAD. 

I'm gonna have a brief little final thoughts on this:

PC Cast: Neutral to Vayne and Jessica, did not like Nikki or Pamela (despite liking her in AI1), Anna was hit or miss, Flay was hilarious, Muppy ended up being funnier than I expected (really thought they were trying too hard with him at first, but the character quests proved entertaining), and Roxis...eh, not sure what I think of him.

NPC Cast: ...left little impression honestly.  Well, Tony and Renee were pretty funny, but otherwise? Meh, not much to care about there.  Well, Isolde's vaguely annoying I guess, since she's kind of just suddenly RAR I AM GOING TO PISS YOU GUYS OFF FOR THIS REASON! You know, if MK had an actual consistent plot, she may have been more careworthy...but well...

That leads into the next spot! The plot...I understand what they were trying at...from both perspectives.  Trying for a simple "Kids at school who have to deal with something that's not quite normal" and at the same time, giving us an Amnesiac Deus Ex Machina cliche.  Neither is necessarily bad just...I dunno, something about its execution rubbed me the wrong way.  I guess part of is cause once the "plot" started, which was late, it kind of just undermined the school aspect, and they just didn't quite work so well.  They tried to incorporate it but dunno, felt like it was a combination that just didn't mix well.
I suppose one thing to the plot's credit is that the way its handled, Vayne was left with lots of room for development should they use him again in a sequel or something; he felt like the same guy at the end of the game, just like he's actually finally got direction in his life instead of sort of going with the flow (I don't mean Vayne's lazy, he just was obviously not much for thinking about the future.)

Battle system was unique and interesting...when you can finally use it to its fullest.  Support didn't really seem too interesting until you got the Support A/D options; now suddenly characters have whole bunch of niches that you can exploit and make use of the system!  Though, just the existence of the support system made the gameplay a lot better, if only cause it made resource managing so much easier.  You could actually do stuff rather than simple attacks on a regular basis, and SP became more of a "Do not spam this" restriction rather than "CONSERVE! NOW!", which is how MP type systems are SUPPOSE to be; minor set backs to make consider "Do I want to use this?" instead of "Yeah, you CAN use it, but you won't have it for later!"

Which unfortunately, the early game, when you have only 3 PCs, basically was that way with SP.  You really couldn't use anything interesting unless you really needed it, and you kind of had to rely on Items for healing and such.  If you got into a fight at night, you were basically fucked.   Later in the game, Night fights weren't too bad cause you can actually afford to go all out, but not early game.  That alone cost the game some points.

Speaking of which, I didn't like Day/Night system.  Ok, making enemies stronger at night isn't such a bad thing, but for fucks sake, did you have to make them aggressive little piles of shit that are near impossible to avoid?  The final dungeon alone became such a chore cause you'd try to jump over a random...OH WAIT HE TURNED AROUND NOW YOU LAND ON HIM!  And spacial areas were too small to simple maneuver around them. 

...yeah, I dunno, I'm losing my train of thought at this point, but the game's like a 6/10? 7/10? Something like that.  The version I played, however, is a 3/10.  Yes, the Load times and shit are bad enough to halve this game's score.  Though, since I am AWARE this game is merely a port, I'll pretend I played the PS2 version <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 23, 2009, 04:10:47 AM »
Suikoden 5: Beaten. The final dungeon was a little annoying, but that was self-imposed. Made of the the parties a lot weaker than I realized. They seemed balanced at the outset, but I realized how many in the one I forgot to upgrade.

Team 1: Freyjadour, Shigure, Miakis, Lun, Jeane, Nikea
Team 2: Lyon, Kyle, Levi, Lelei, Bernadette, Nelis
Team 3: Zweig, Georg, Zerase, Richard, Isabel, Mathias

Can you guess who it was? If you guessed Team 2, you are correct! Bern and Nelis had no upgrades on their weapons and bad armor. I had limted choices to equip them since I hadn't gone to the storage. Lelei was in a similar situation, but at least her weapon was decent and she was one of the only ones along to could equip heavy armor. I had sent Dongo with Team 3 as well, and you can see it had only a magic skill person. So... yeah, that was rough. Team 1 was absolutely fine. Team 3 just had limited healing, but was fine.

Final party was Freyjadour, Shigure, Miakis, Lyon, Kyle, Zerase. Had no trouble with the final boss.

I was sort of enjoying the "Congratulations!" style of the ending until everyone and their mother started showing up and Lyon came back. Ending was overall fine, not great but not bad. But there was a bad tendency the game had to forceably trot out every single gameplay and story trick the series has used in the past, usually to it's detriment. The story was alright overall, but suffered from a lack of substance after the halfway point. Georg and Sialeeds were the high points of the cast, Lyon was kinda the low. Miakis lost the coolness she had in the beginning right quick. Freyja, again, seemed autistic at times because of his silent main nature. I think he more than any other silent main sets the game back by being silent. Meanwhile, Lucretia also suffers from being the Mary Sue SuikoStrategist. Never so blatant. Gizel largely failed but I found myself oddly respecting him at the end for at least not apologizing and standing his ground.

A high 7/10 game, but it does things that really cost it the 8.