Register

Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 677130 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2575 on: May 31, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »
I... can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.  Like honestly is that what it is called?  That is the dumbest damn name since Thracia 776.

WoW - So after the first pull on Yogg-Saron we surmised that people need to get out of green clouds.  After our last pull for the night we surmised that people need to get out of green clouds.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: May 31, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
I... can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.  Like honestly is that what it is called?  That is the dumbest damn name since Thracia 776.

That is really what it is called.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: May 31, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »
Dumbest name since Thracia 776.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »
Ended up finishing up FEDS.

Party/team as at the end was Marth, Shiida, Cain, Abel, Gordin, Julian, Lena, Merric, Minerva, Linde, Lorenz, Athena, Horace, Etzel, Ymir, and Nagi. Warphaxed the final so I didn't get to see Nagi in action but her stats didn't look that great from glancing at them anyway. This also got Elice killed off but she was a bit of a lost cause in any case that I'd really have had to purposefully exclude taking if I wanted her to survive.

Used the trick to keep the real Falchion. Pretty nice weapon. I notice that it doesn't seem to have the whole sealing thing going on in this version so that should make Marth easier to interpret for the majority of people if he bizarrely manages to somehow get ranked.

The generics are somewhat of a nice touch but they're doing them wrong, having them only show up when you're critically low on units. If someone dumps all their experience into a single unit and that unit dies, the generic system isn't going to help them at all. To be fair since the generics are based on Marth's level or something along those lines it wouldn't be that helpful even if some did show up at that point.

It's an interesting take on FE1 all around and generally an improvement, especially in terms of the interface and in healers not having one of the more inane levelling systems ever. The only places it backslides really are in things that don't really matter, such as some of the graphics as I've already mentioned, and ballistae are generally distributed the same way as shooters were in FE1 when they're quite different styles of unit which doesn't show much thought. The status screens could use some work what with you not being allowed, as far as I was able to determine, to view information on enemy weaponry, and dragonstone boosts being hidden also.

Why is Thracia 776 a particularly dumb name?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: May 31, 2009, 04:02:22 PM »
MK- Beat it! I got Muppy's ending, which was beyond creepy. The final boss thing was kind of creative.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Bardiche

« Reply #2580 on: May 31, 2009, 04:23:24 PM »
Why is Thracia 776 a particularly dumb name?

It has numbers in it.

Okay, call my girldar broken and whatnot, but I really can't tell the 14th character on that 358/2 character page's gender. Part of me thinks it's a boy at first glance, but I somehow suspect it'll be another of those goddamn traps that I can't ever tell the difference between.

Like Niu.

All my usual methods fail me once more.

Taken to playing Terranigma again. Just revived humanity. At level 40, I feel slightly overlevelled.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2581 on: May 31, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
Member 14 is another Kairi clone, it seems. So I assume it's female.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: May 31, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
Member 14 is another Kairi clone, it seems. So I assume it's female.

Dunno about the former but Xion is a female.

Boots.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: May 31, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »
Rented Punchout, and been having fun with that.  The controls are still the same as they were before, so it's been easy to pick up, and the infinite retries are a nice touch now that it isn't a port of an arcade game meant to eat your quarters.

So far up to Sandman, aka the final fight, and he's been rocking me so far with the fact that he's got the fastest move so far, and another move designed specifically to punish you for twitching the wrong way.  Fortunatly there's still an easy way to tell what he's going to use.  Just it's so fast that you need to be able to tell them apart reflexively because if it's the fast one and you take the moment to think, then you're just going to go down.

Can't wait until I'm good enough to take him down twice so I can see what his fancy stuff looks like.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: May 31, 2009, 10:32:47 PM »
S3 - The highlights of this session:

<Rody> lol im like teh birdz
<Estella> mansex
<Chris> what
* Chris asks around, finds no mansex.
<Chris> No mansex.
* Estella joins.
<Chris> why

<Hortez_VII> Grandma, you're Viki!
<Ayame> ...
<Hortez_VII> Teach me how to be Viki!
<Ayame> ... who the hell is grandma.

Estella makes absolutely no goddamned sense and the theater is made of god and win. This is fitting.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:34:33 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: May 31, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »
Other than the fact that it tells you nothing about the game at all?  Nah there is nothing wrong with Thracia 776.  Nothing at all.  It just fails to achieve anything remotely close to what a title does (hint, it is not meant to look like it is confusing and meaningless).

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: May 31, 2009, 11:03:33 PM »
It wasn't confusing/meaningless to the game's target audience, however. Not to mention that the amount most names tell you about a game is between nothing to a token amount, so I'm not seeing why it's a particularly dumb example of a problem that's endemic.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: May 31, 2009, 11:05:31 PM »
Fire Emblems have pretty awful subtitles on average (Path of Radiance what the fuck), but yeah Thracia 776 is the worst.

MMPU - Beat the game as Timeman. Opinions on the PCs so far...

Mega: Probably the best even though the buster kinda sucks because he gets all the weapons. This lets him hit weakness on everything that has a weakness which is basically everything, and this is too important. May not be the best at stages due to ammo restrictions though but at least he's close.
Time: Time Slow is hard to use because it comes out so slowly, and sometimes making projectiles and the environment move slowly is a disadvantage. However his time arrows are very potent. Probably even a little better than Thunder Beam; very good against the final boss in particular.
Elec: Thunder Beam is awesome even though it's nerfed. Yay tri-directional attacks. Not much to say about him, he's cool, kinda comparing everyone else to him from here on.
Bomb: Hyper Bomb is way better in MMPU than in MM1. Within MMPU, Hyper Bomb is way better used by Bombman than by Mega (it can be fired in four different directions). Still the worst PC I've beaten the game with, because using his attack paralyses his directional movement for a split second afterwards, and it's still the worst overall weapon of the above three so far anyway.

Fireman is next!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: May 31, 2009, 11:19:11 PM »
VC: Chapter 15.

Awaken All Alicia -> Smash shit. The other Resist Crossfire scouts could probably do pretty well but she's easily the best (highest HP, best Potential pool).

I can see a "No Orders" playthrough being a decent challenge. Might consider that in the future. But for now, SMASH.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »
...generally don't expect much from video game titles in general, myself.

HOKAY. So playing SH2. Goin' through a jail, beatin' up a Lenny... AND THE GAME FREEZES DURING THE CUTSCENE AFTERWARD ASLPKJHKHFG.

I'm gonna clean the disc, go Barbaria + Rage + Air element, knock the guy down, then Third Key his ass. And if it freezes again I'm going back to P4.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »
Other than the fact that it tells you nothing about the game at all?  Nah there is nothing wrong with Thracia 776.  Nothing at all.  It just fails to achieve anything remotely close to what a title does (hint, it is not meant to look like it is confusing and meaningless).

Insert hype for Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon here.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 01, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
It's a sequel, and the title lets you know that it takes place in a certain part of the world during a year which you have some idea of what should be up thanks to the first game.  Sure, it makes no sense out of context, but if you give it the proper context it's a better subtitle than most.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: June 01, 2009, 03:04:22 AM »
Ahem, Pokemon Platinum Videogame Championship Series:

I GOT SECOND PLACE IN DALLAS!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT

There were at least 275 people entered in Seniors, so I got lucky to be picked (only 128 people are randomly chosen).  My number was 066 Machop.

First here's my team.  Keeping the EVs/natures a secret in case I decide to use some of these at Nationals.

Azelf @ Focus Sash
-Psychic
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-U-turn

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
-Fake Out
-Bullet Punch
-Ice Punch
-Close Combat

Salamence @ Life Orb
-Aerial Ace
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Protect

Golduck @ Salac Berry
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Signal Beam
-Endure

Round 1:  My stomach is doing flipflops.  I was so nervous about getting past the random selection.  Eight hour drive + hotel room = a lot of waste if you don't get in.  Then I see my first opponent's leads:  a Bronzong and Shuckle.  This is exactly the kind of team my team was designed to slaughter.  I Fake Out + Flamethrower his Bronzong and ignore his Shuckle while it Power Tricks.  Next turn I finish off Bronzong and OHKO Shuckle with Bullet Punch.  The rest is over very quickly.  Opponent quote:  "You... flinched my Bronzong..."  That's the inherent problem with Trick Room teams.  If for some reason Trick Room doesn't go off, you're stuck with a lot of slow pokemon who can't do anything.

Round 2:  Opponent leads with Alakazam, which concerns me a bit (can't be Fake Out'd, can't be OHKO'd by Azelf, will OHKO Hariyama).  I decide to ignore the Zam and concentrate on the rest of his team.  Turns out rest of his team is terrible, and I win easily.  This guy could not believe he lost.  He was so sure I was cheating.

Opponent:  "Do you, uh, EV train?"
Me:  "Hell yeah!"
Opponent:  "Isn't Azelf one of the banned pokemon?"
Me:  "Uh, no."
Opponent:  "Are you sure you didn't use Pokesav?"
Me:  "Yeah, I'm sure."

Suck it up and take the loss dude.  Your team sucked.

Round 3:  This was a great battle, and I wish I could have saved the video.  Opponent's Jolteon was tearing me to pieces, and I had a come from behind win when Salamence killed both his pokes with Earthquake.

All of this took about 20 minutes, making me the first one into the Top 16.  I sit in the Finalist's Lounge and relax.  And wait.  And wait.  Apparently everyone else's matches are taking a lot longer than mine did.  The next guy comes in after about 10 minutes, and more filter in every 10 minutes or so.  The last finalist didn't come in until almost noon (I got into Finalist's lounge at 10:50).

Two of the finalists get kicked out for hacking when their cartridges are checked (Marriland was the official referee and doing the checks).  Two others get warnings but get to continue on.  So when Top 16 matches start there are only 14.  They match people up in the order they finished, so I'm matched up with the second guy who was one of the ones that got banned.  So I get a free pass into Top 8.

Top 8 match:  This was a weird team - I don't really know what he was going for.  He led with Glaceon and Kingdra.  I'm immediately thinking it's a Rain Dance team, but why Glaceon?  I Fake Out his Kingdra and Flamethrower Glaceon.  Glaceon Blizzards, but misses Azelf entirely.  Next turn I finish off Glaceon with Bullet Punch and U-turn Kingdra to bring out Golduck.  Kingdra Rain Dances, which does nothing thanks to Golduck.  I don't remember what his third Pokemon was, but it used Thunder (and missed, thank you Golduck) and I killed it quickly.  His last Pokemon was... Charizard.  Yeah, like I said, it was a weird team.  This Charizard was actually very fast and used Fly before I could hit it.  But Golduck endured the hit.  Since both Golduck and Salamence had immunity moves, there was literally nothing he could do to me.  Opponent quote: "HOW FAST IS THAT SALAMENCE?"

Top 4 match:  This guy led with a level 50 Smeargle.  I heard some people talking about a Dark Void spammer, so this was probably him.  I Fake Out and Psychic him, then Bullet Punch him next turn so he never gets to move.  His other Pokemon is Ludicolo, and he gets a great prediction on me.  Azelf U-turns his Ludicolo and switches into Golduck, who immediately eats Ludicolo Energy Ball and is OHKOd.  But Salamence comes in and nukes Ludicolo with Aerial Ace.  Opponent quote:  "&*$@!  Aerial Ace!"  Guess he was running Brightpowder.  :)  The rest of his team is easily destroyed.

Finals match:  Watch it on video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1tVrl6Ph0
I'm "Jeannie" on the far side.  I get off to a great start OHKOing his Gengar and taking care of business on his Garchomp.  The freeze on Garchomp leads me to a bit of a dilemma.  I can kill Chomp at any time with Bullet Punch, but I'd prefer to leave him there frozen while I concentrate on Zapdos.  However, I've played lots of test games with this team on Battle Revolution, and seen way too many 0-turn freezes.  Still the odds are in my favor that he'll be frozen at least one turn, so I leave him alone.  Announcer quote: "I'm still surprised he hasn't finished off that Garchomp yet!"  which is immediately followed by my Bullet Punch.  Announcer quote: "Never mind, I guess he did!"

However, at this point, I've essentially lost due to one important point.  Salamence has no move that will hit for Neutral or better damage on Zapdos.  If I had Dragon Claw on my moveset I could have killed him and taken out Mamoswine with a 3 on 1 beatdown.  But alas, I did not, and that proved to be my undoing.  Such is the curse of the 4-move limit.  I actually thought Golduck might survive the Ice Shard from Mamoswine, but Mamo has Life Orb and gets the kill and the win.

Anyway, I'm stoked because I've won the trip to St. Louis.  Do the interviews, take pictures, fill out paperwork, and then retire to my hotel to try and rest.  Didn't stay for the Juniors - I was exhausted.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 01, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »
Nicely done, K. :D That video was awesome to watch - I just can't help but wish there were Pokemon tournaments that I knew about in England! >.>

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: June 01, 2009, 03:46:48 AM »
Err, they just held a VGC event at London this weekend. I can't find any official link because Nintendo of Europe fails too much to put up a website with event dates listed, but there are links and a video of the final match on Smogon's thread here about the tournament.

Oh, and congrats to Captain K of course.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: June 01, 2009, 03:49:03 AM »
I understood maybe three paragraphs of that, but I can figure out that congratulations are in order. Way to go.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 01, 2009, 03:52:09 AM »
...seriously? I was in London this weekend. That... sucks. -.-

Also, just decided to play Pokemon again after seeing this, can't help but laugh at them actually paying attention to subtle points...
Guy who checks the happiness of your Pokemon by having them walk in front of him: "Well, Ditto doesn't leave any footprints, so it's kind of hard to tell how happy it is..."

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 01, 2009, 03:56:21 AM »
Good job, Captain K! (Everyone knows Second is the best, after all)
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 01, 2009, 04:22:58 AM »
Excellent, Captain K~ That's commendable :D

Congrats!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2599 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:44 AM »
Fire Emblems have pretty awful subtitles on average (Path of Radiance what the fuck), but yeah Thracia 776 is the worst.

Fair enough... but the alternative can end up being too literal.

E.g. Arc the Lad. Super Mario RPG.

EDIT: Wow. Awesome job, Captain K! I guess spending all of our time discussing RPGs does have use outside of the DL..! That's good to know. ^_^

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:22:52 AM by DjinnAndTonic »