Author Topic: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.  (Read 687085 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Games you're playing: The 2009 edition.
« Reply #2725 on: June 06, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »
Re: Miki:

The mantra system encourages synergy! In DDS2. In DDS1, you have a single linear road to unlocking skills and deviating from it just weakens you in the long run. I don't hate the DDS series, keep this is mind. I just hate DDS1, because it did the things it attempted to do poorly. And DDS2 shows why by not utterly failing at implementation.

That's funny.  I consider DDS2's mantra system to be somewhat inferior because you spend so much time learning useless mantras to get to the stuff you actually want.  I don't think that's a matter of synergy; it doesn't change the skills you would ideally want to get and combine on a character, it just makes it less clear what the most optimal way to do that is.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: June 06, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
I just know which part of them appeals to me: menu-based, indirectly applied gameplay that focuses more on setups, management, synergy and thought-based processes (even if very simplistic in practice) than reflexes. And that's how it started, even if poorly. Narrative honestly feels like an afterthought even now.

Judging by even the earliest PC RPGs(Stuff like Pools of Radience), it really feels like the focus was meant to be statistical based strategic combat meshed with plot.

In other words, Chess+Craps+Book=??? Profit. The focus Grefter refers to was always a niche thing. Early Wizardry didn't do it. Early TSR RPGs didn't do it. FF1 and DQ1 sure as hell didn't do it. Some PC RPGs that were well later have done it. They are awesome. They are a subgenre though.

Even tabletop clearly has a statistical focus early. The stuff that focused heavily on plot was after D&D came about. D&D original, IIRC, had a drat board you moved pieces on.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: June 06, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »
Gref: There is risk in RPGs.  Risk that you will waste your time, however you define that.  Game Overs are a problem only if they give you the sense that you're wasting your time.  As a fan of PC games, surely you understand that.  As for the fanbase thing...go read Garfield.  It's got a huge, non-ironic fanbase, therefore it's empirically superior to, say, Zippy the Pinhead.  Right?

Jim, that is the exact opposite of what I am arguing and you know it.  It isn't about whether people like it or not.  Whether people like it or not is entirely irrelevant.  There are things that add to and detract from the quality of a game.  How big they are is a factor (DDS one is pretty minor compared to say main SMT series), but they are still bad even if they are not wall bangers.

Now to Sage.

Psychological effects like you are describing are fucking bullshit in RPGs as they stand.  OH GOD I COULD DIE ANY MOMENT HERE in combat is entirely inappropriate to say, Skies of Arcadia.  It is entirely appropriate to say, Silent Hill 2.  Unless random factors are part of your narrative flow (See Darth and Droids take on Episode 1!  Fantastic example of it.  The main person dies on dice rolls, but you know how that works?  Because it it is a D&D session where the point of the time isn't to win, but to -make and be part of the story-.  Computer based RPGs haven't hit that level.  When you Game Over you don't have any closure or any sense of completion (short of say... Mutant ending to Fallout 1, which is pretty tenuous anyway).  Shooters are a completely different genre where you die a lot.  That is because they are challenges for you to beat, not stories for you to experience (aaaaand random chance in shooters that you couldn't avoid regardless of your actions is fairly universally accepted to be shit design).

RPGs are so much more than just interactive fiction, this is true!  What they are not is MOTHER FUCKING KENO WHERE THE FUCKING HOUSE WINS.  Yes there is random elements in RPGs, no they should not be ultra high risk factor, yes they should be fair gambles.  When you play it and yay you won this battle, when the enemy does it and oh you lost 4 hours worth of gameplay it is a DICK MOVE.  You know what is one of those niggling annoying points of bad design?  How totally uneven Poison is in Pokemon.  You use it on the computer, hey you won a match.  The computer uses it?  Yeah you have it permanently.  Yay!  Totally fair.  But you know what?  It is pretty tolerable because it DOESN'T FUCKING GAME YOU OVER (or render that Pokemon entirely unusable forever).  

I am going to get up here and draw a line in the sand and say exactly where the gambling starts to be acceptable.   Roguelikes.  ADOM is a well designed game that is brutal and harsh and will kill you into next Sunday.  You know why the line is drawn there?  ADOM has absolutely no plot whatsoever.  It has a dungeon full of a million ways to kill you .  That is the game.  It is pure 100% unrefined gambling.  It is chock full of high risk and reward and ultimately, the house always wins.  You know why that is good?  Because it is Keno.

When we get an actual honest to god Survival Horror RPG out of the SMT setting, then it can be ball bruisingly brutal as it wants.  They aren't there yet.  So it will keep being bad design.  So hey, there is your psychological effects for you, there is no logical reason for the gameplay to be that dicktastic.  There needs to be Gameplay:Plot interaction there (WHICH HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT.  IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVE BEEN POINTING OUT AND QUANTIFYING AS GOOD FUCKING DESIGN FOR YEARS NOW.  LOOK LOOK, DO YOU SEE THIS LOGICAL FUCKING ARGUMENT MAKING GODDAMNED SENSE HERE?  IT ISN'T BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE GAMES, IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS THINGS YOU CAN QUANTIFY AND POINT OUT AS TO WHAT MAKES IT GOOD AND BAD DESIGN).

Early PC games didn't do it well.  Shock! Horror!  We might have to acknowledge that early PC games were poorly designed!  How will we ever be able to do that?  I dunno, the same way we did with NES Platformers I guess.  Nintendo hard is bad.  Early plot based dungeon crawlers (Outside of Wizardry 4!  Plot relevance!) have some serious design flaws in them.  Kay?  Kay.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: June 06, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
I'm pretty biased against the whole "death by hax = good because it's challenging!" argument because I first saw it via Diablo II, where people on the internet were actually arguing that stuff like Duriel, MSLEBs, stair traps, and the beta version of Baal with his 800+ damage unresistable Magic Missle that he could use immediately after teleport were actually good things and should not be toned down or removed. This of course resulted in either a really trivial setback if you're playing softcore and placed your last tp intelligently (pfft exp/cash loss in D2) or permadeath in hardcore.

Needless to say most of these people went to on skip 99% of the game and just farm relatively safe areas like the Bloody Foothills or Cow Area all day long like everyone else on b.net, which is why online D2 is typically completely idiotic and crap to play. Meanwhile those of us who actually tried playing the entire game had to put up with significant numbers of complete bullshit bosses and stair traps sprinked within an otherwise easy game even on Hell (pre-1.10 path).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: June 06, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
I wasn't going to respond to everything, but my love for D2 back in it's heyday makes me chime in and yeah agree with hinode.  Thanks guys for making us put up with that shit in the game forever to only have a few playable areas in the game and hey, then come 1.10 and make the entire game intolerable.  Hooray.  It was totally cool how Nihlathak had larger than screen wide Corpse Explosions that would hit you for more health than you could ever possibly muster.  And then he could cast another one right after that.  Fantastic.

Edit - Risk vs Reward example!  The above gives you the ability put a tag on an item as belonging to your character!  Hooray optional pointless incredibly lethal sidequest!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:40:06 PM by Grefter »

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: June 06, 2009, 06:36:21 PM »
OH GOD I COULD DIE ANY MOMENT HERE in combat is entirely inappropriate to say, Skies of Arcadia.  It is entirely appropriate to say, Silent Hill 2.  Unless random factors are part of your narrative flow (See Darth and Droids take on Episode 1!  Fantastic example of it.  The main person dies on dice rolls, but you know how that works?  Because it it is a D&D session where the point of the time isn't to win, but to -make and be part of the story-. 

You mean like how dying at any moment in a world filled with militant turned-to-demons cannibals or demons everywhere or a tower that only appears in an hour that doesn't exist to other people filled with horrible abominations?

Yeah randomly dying seems thematically consistant with the idea.

RPGs are so much more than just interactive fiction, this is true!  What they are not is MOTHER FUCKING KENO WHERE THE FUCKING HOUSE WINS.  Yes there is random elements in RPGs, no they should not be ultra high risk factor, yes they should be fair gambles.  When you play it and yay you won this battle, when the enemy does it and oh you lost 4 hours worth of gameplay it is a DICK MOVE.

Again, you only lose that much if you screw up, in modern Megaten games.

Don't hit on a 20 in Blackjack. This is strategy. They are not ultra-high risk factor. SMT3 is bad about having a moderately high risk factor. This may appeal to some. But in general even it tends to only do so in the big optional dungeon. Optional risk for optional gain. You may lose an hour. An hour is to some an acceptable risk. If it's not to you, probably you shouldn't be playing it.

You know what is one of those niggling annoying points of bad design?  How totally uneven Poison is in Pokemon.  You use it on the computer, hey you won a match.  The computer uses it?  Yeah you have it permanently.  Yay!  Totally fair.  But you know what?  It is pretty tolerable because it DOESN'T FUCKING GAME YOU OVER (or render that Pokemon entirely unusable forever). 

What the hell are you talking about, standard Poison in Pokemon sucks and in Generation 4 it wears off after about two dozen steps after a battle and you can use items and the enemy takes drat 6.25% damage from it and only Toxic is any good in a battle.

And even then if it game overed you you throw a drat item. All I can say is that permadeath and hax just hit very bad nerves with you personally if throwing a cheap-ass item once in a while, with large amounts of time to do so, to prevent them would be too much hax or permadeath for you.

I am going to get up here and draw a line in the sand and say exactly where the gambling starts to be acceptable.   Roguelikes.  ADOM is a well designed game that is brutal and harsh and will kill you into next Sunday.  You know why the line is drawn there?  ADOM has absolutely no plot whatsoever.  It has a dungeon full of a million ways to kill you .  That is the game.  It is pure 100% unrefined gambling.  It is chock full of high risk and reward and ultimately, the house always wins.  You know why that is good?  Because it is Keno.

Cross-genre=bad, to you.

Got it.

When we get an actual honest to god Survival Horror RPG out of the SMT setting, then it can be ball bruisingly brutal as it wants.  They aren't there yet.  So it will keep being bad design.  So hey, there is your psychological effects for you, there is no logical reason for the gameplay to be that dicktastic.  There needs to be Gameplay:Plot interaction there (WHICH HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT.  IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVE BEEN POINTING OUT AND QUANTIFYING AS GOOD FUCKING DESIGN FOR YEARS NOW.  LOOK LOOK, DO YOU SEE THIS LOGICAL FUCKING ARGUMENT MAKING GODDAMNED SENSE HERE?  IT ISN'T BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE GAMES, IT IS BECAUSE THERE IS THINGS YOU CAN QUANTIFY AND POINT OUT AS TO WHAT MAKES IT GOOD AND BAD DESIGN).

Edit: Wait, this is more different of a point than I thought skimming it.

I blame all caps.

Anyways, that's an issue with writing. DDS1's writing is not that great. But still, I don't really see how it's setting is worse at survival horror than RE. It's surely the intent to have that kind of setting. Ruined world with demons everywhere and no memory of why the hell you're there is less survival horror than SPOOKY MANSION AND ZOMBIES!!! nah.

Early PC games didn't do it well.  Shock! Horror!  We might have to acknowledge that early PC games were poorly designed!  How will we ever be able to do that?  I dunno, the same way we did with NES Platformers I guess.  Nintendo hard is bad.  Early plot based dungeon crawlers (Outside of Wizardry 4!  Plot relevance!) have some serious design flaws in them.  Kay?  Kay.

No, you don't get "kay", you don't get to change a genre into a new one based on games later in it. You don't get to say that all platformers are 3D because 3D platformers are popular now, the old platformers are still fucking platformers. Ahem.

You can say they were bad platformers, that's fine, a taste thing but fine. They are platformers.

I'm pretty biased against the whole "death by hax = good because it's challenging!" argument because I first saw it via Diablo II, where people on the internet were actually arguing that stuff like Duriel, MSLEBs, stair traps, and the beta version of Baal with his 800+ damage unresistable Magic Missle that he could use immediately after teleport were actually good things and should not be toned down or removed. This of course resulted in either a really trivial setback if you're playing softcore and placed your last tp intelligently (pfft exp/cash loss in D2) or permadeath in hardcore.

Needless to say most of these people went to on skip 99% of the game and just farm relatively safe areas like the Bloody Foothills or Cow Area all day long like everyone else on b.net, which is why online D2 is typically completely idiotic and crap to play. Meanwhile those of us who actually tried playing the entire game had to put up with significant numbers of complete bullshit bosses and stair traps sprinked within an otherwise easy game even on Hell (pre-1.10 path).

Yeah, see, Megaten has been cutting down on the practical impact of hax, not INCREASING IT MASSIVELY. There is no real psychological necessity to make you lose 20/30/40/whatever hours when hax eats you, as it can in a hardcore run of D2. Especially when the game is not hard otherwise, killing the only point it would otherwise have(Freaks who like that kind of ridiculous difficulty, or, see ADOM.). This is just stupid, it's not self-consistantly evil in it's ridiculous hax and there's far too much of a gap between hardcore and normal and etc., it's just badly designed.

And if it hits a psychological niche, it's definitely by accident due to bugs. Regardless, not as good as it could have been if they'd DONE IT RIGHT AND TRIED TO MAKE IT LIKE THAT.

Of course, now with patches, since they stumbled upon something that the fans of it still like, they just went and tried to make the whole game like that. You can't blame them, they have no fucking idea what it is the fans want, so they just make the whole thing like that. The fans of the idea don't play Hardcore. So Hardcore is basically broken and worthless. Yay!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:45:27 PM by SageAcrin »

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: June 06, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »
Thing is, even in softcore play stuff the insta-frag bosses are a bad idea. No amount of skill in playing the game or developing your character will save you, only pure luck. At that point there's no reason to even try, so the player might as well just suck it up and eat however many resets are needed to get pass the bullshit design point and get on to the parts of the game where you can actually win due to actual strategic decisions and not just the retrying enough until the RNG rolls your way.

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: June 06, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »
Thing is, even in softcore play stuff the insta-frag bosses are a bad idea. No amount of skill in playing the game or developing your character will save you, only pure luck. At that point there's no reason to even try, so the player might as well just suck it up and eat however many resets are needed to get pass the bullshit design point and get on to the parts of the game where you can actually win due to actual strategic decisions and not just the retrying enough until the RNG rolls your way.

There's not even obscure builds or anything that can get past specific bosses?

If so, yeah, that probably reaches the point of "People are really just not playing that part of the game.".

Don't ask me what the hell Blizzard's on with D2, then. Maybe they *think* people like those parts and haven't checked what people actually play. Or maybe a very loud, tiny minority that would think Demifiend is a wonderful design-because, really, it's a loud and tiny minority even among SMT fans, that-that Blizzard hears. Regardless, kinda dumb. Hax has to be carefully managed to make you play a certain way.

If it's just thrown out there as coinflips it's pretty pointless. If there's things you can do strategically to mitigate it substantially it at least makes some sense, although I'm of the opinion that you damn well should be careful throwing it around in a game with a permadeath lose-all-your-progress-on-that-save-ever mode. This sounds far worse than most Roguelikes for this.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: June 06, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
To survive it, say stacking Vit and Fire Resist/Physical damage reduction gear (ie having had to farm the FUCK out of those easy areas), not to my knowledge would you be able to survive the Corpse Explosion of Nihlathak.  On Hell we are talking a few hundred thousand HP worth of damage if I remember my stats right. No way in hell can you hit 6 digit health on a Barb (and you have to overcome the Resist reduction and I think there was a penalty on Physical damage reduction as well!).

Diablo 2 post 1.10 was fucking stupid.  People apparently farm Baal and stuff now.  Liberal abuse of super high attack speed and Crushing blows (1/8 cHP damage that get cut in half I think it was on bosses.  So you chip them down 1/16 of their health at a time.  Last I heard even CASTERS were using that.  So meleeing bosses to death).  I might have my figures and current trends way out of date though.

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: June 06, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
...So it's not just that D2 has hax of idiotic as a problem, but it's also just a trainwreck, after a point.

Kay.

._. Diablo 2 from what I played(very drat little, 1P only, about a third of the main game on Normal) looked like a game about experimenting with the finer points of builds and options. I guess they decided that was boring or something.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: June 06, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
It is still a pretty fun game on Normal.  There was only really one patch I got into the whole Hell running stuff anyway, but yeah D2 "end game" content is absolutely terrible.  1.09 the "Easy" patch where you could actually like finish the game and kill things and do the unthinkable -reaching level 99 with a bit of effort instead of having to play for months- was indeed mostly fiddling with the finer points of builds and tweaking equipment to optimums for what you were doing (which was mostly cow level farming which was easy, boring and stupid.  Builds that could do the main game were far more interesting).

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: June 06, 2009, 07:20:44 PM »
*Nods.* So it's still decent on Normal and it used to be decent before 1.10 for Hell. Makes sense.

It's not a major flaw I suppose, unless you want to play online with someone serious about the higher stuff.

God knows it's not the only RPG that's had screwed up high end difficulties, at least.

(See: All Tales highest difficulty levels.)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: June 06, 2009, 07:26:38 PM »
Or maybe a very loud, tiny minority that would think Demifiend is a wonderful design-because, really, it's a loud and tiny minority even among SMT fans, that-that Blizzard hears. Regardless, kinda dumb. Hax has to be carefully managed to make you play a certain way.

The vocal minority does tend to be pretty dumb. See the number of people on the WoW forums who want to go back to Molten Core style raiding or compliment FFXI for bosses like Pandamonium Warden (or, I suppose, the people who complained about PW being nerfed).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: June 06, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »
Milage varies on how fun 1.09 was and it honestly was still severely flawed even at that point (Lightning enchanted stuff shoots charged bolts off in every direction.  Those charged bolts take on every other enchant they had, Cold ones would slow you down and do cold damage.  Fire ones would just do tons of damage.  Multishot would make them shoot out some ridiculous amount of those bolts.  In every direction.  You were pretty much dead if you weren't standing far enough away.

http://forums.diii.net/showthread.php?t=480035&page=1

Here for the kind of shit D2 players do post 1.10

Molten Core style raiding is fun.  There is nothing like going in there and outputting more damage by yourself than 40 people used to.

Wait... you mean the other way around.  (Clearing MC every week or 2 these days with family and friends, it is fun.  Need to poke back into BWL sometime and maybe think about some AQ)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: June 06, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
40 man raids currently are tons of fun, yes. In the old days, though...

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: June 06, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
The thing to remember about D2 is that "difficulty modes" aren't actual diffculty modes, but direct continuations of a single file. Pre-expansion it was not even possible to get level 30 skills in normal mode alone without a significant amount of grinding, alet alone get them to a decent level; the game was clearly designed around continuing through Nightmare and Hell.

Blizzard (North) has gotten progressively worse about making the game revolve around rare high end equipment as time has gone on. Back in the old days it was at least possible to take any semi-serious spellcaster build through the entire game with no twinking, muling, or level grinding, though you needed contingency plans for Duriel (especially pre-expansion) and to a lesser extent the Ancients, and some of the optional bosses like Nihlathak are going to rape you no matter what.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:23 AM »
Yeah, but for all it's loot treadmill and twitch gameplay, D2 has a plot that starts and finishes in Normal.  Beating that and stopping is pretty much sufficient amount of Game.  You get to see all the skills, you get to do all the plot, see all the areas, kill all the enemies see all the gear (Exceptional and Elite stuff just looking the same as normal stuff).  Technically, beating Normal will do the vasy majority of players (Like the ones that weren't on B.Net anyway >_>  Probably due to having played on B.Net during Diablo 1 for some).  That and levelling pre-expansion was horrible as well.  I remember the one time I played through Nightmare and Hell on a Bowazon (when ranged weapons were still bugged to be capped in the damage output the weapons were able to have, so Bowazons were apparently bad ideas) I think I got all of 4 or 5 levels after finishing normal?  It was pretty pathetic experience for just retreading the same content and spending a bit longer to kill Diablo than it used to.  Expansion improved things a bit there and made going on to higher difficulties less painful and stupid and the exp curve less retarded (by making Act 5 the only place worth doing anything...).

Honestly there was some pretty big flaws in Diablo 2 every step of the way.  It really is a fun game in spite of everything wrong with it, but that is how Blizzard works really.

Bardiche

« Reply #2742 on: June 07, 2009, 01:00:36 AM »
Finished all Suikodens. Beat S5 with Ernst, Zerase, Prince, Lyon, Zegai and Richard. What do you mean laming out with the most overpowered team ever...?

I'll do it again with a weaker team later on, I just wanted to get it over and done with because random encounters were seriously pissing me off. Use Byakuren?!?!?

Started playing Final Fantasy X-2. Again.

I keep being reminded why I've quit playing it twice before.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 07, 2009, 01:56:51 AM »
Finished all Suikodens. Beat S5 with Ernst, Zerase, Prince, Lyon, Zegai and Richard. What do you mean laming out with the most overpowered team ever...?

You don't get to call a team with Ernst and Zegai most overpowered anything in S5. Come in with more Cathari/Miakis and we'll talk. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Bardiche

« Reply #2744 on: June 07, 2009, 03:19:33 AM »
Ernst's entire "cancel out attacks" shtick is pretty sick if you ask me!! I don't know about Zegai, I guess I just like him.

Forgot about Cathari having good attack power. Gonna slap a Killer Rune on her and see if I can one-round the final boss.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: June 07, 2009, 03:23:31 AM »
Snow made an error there.  Use Cornelio.  Game-breaking just by being in existence.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 07, 2009, 04:08:20 AM »
Ernst's entire "cancel out attacks" shtick is pretty sick if you ask me!! I don't know about Zegai, I guess I just like him.

Turn cancel is good (in fact, Beast Rune is pretty cool on paper), you just don't have to waste a character slot on Ernst, who needs to waste his first turn transforming (the reason why Ernst is sorta underwhelming in practice =/), to get it. Swallow Formation's group skill is perfect one-turn MT stun that lets the entire party attack. In a formation with high-end physical attackers, that's probably getting the final boss killed in a single round with a little luck. It's OPB, which mitigates the retardation some (and probably makes almost any party overpowered anyway), but it's more efficient and you don't need the effect more than once on average regardless.

By the way, Boost/Double-Edged for Cathari works better if you want raw damage. Killer probably has uses, but Cathari doesn't need the help with the crit rate.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 04:23:00 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: June 07, 2009, 04:20:41 AM »
speaking of SMT games, Beat Devil Summoner 2.

Very satisfying game, if easy.  Won't go into the plot, because it's the sort that is ruined by talking about it, but I will say that the game does a very good job of naturally integrating the chaos/order dichotomy SMT is so fond of into the plot.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: June 07, 2009, 05:29:22 AM »
Further speaking of SMT: Persona 4, up to Mitsuo's dungeon.

I am definitely enjoying this more than FES so far, not only because of being able to control my allies... but for a variety of reasons I just can't put my finger on. Polish, maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: June 07, 2009, 05:47:45 AM »
DMC4 Hard: Complete!  Not much to say, besides that Dagon 2 kept killing me cause of massive fuck ups.

Not gonna rant, but it was a lot of fun.  Typically shows how much harder DMC4 is when enemies have their damage spiked, as in Normal mode, you tend to get hit plenty, but the damage just isn't high enough, so you get use to it.  You get a lot more confident about surviving stuff as a result, and less weary about dodging...
Hard Mode brings back the good old "LEARN TO DODGE" philosophy that DMC1/3 had, and makes you pay if you don't learn how to deal with the moves.  DMC4 enemy attacks were never really that much easier to dodge than DMC1/3 attacks, just as I said, they dealt less damage, so you typically didn't worry about dodging them quite as much.

Combine that with better, more aggressive AI and a few new attacks, as well as enemies popping up in unexpected places, and yeah, it was fun.  Need to get to DMC3 Hard Mode eventually.

Its interesting; I'm not really a fan of Hard modes in games and such...yet, I've gone out of my way to play Hard Mode of DMC1 and DMC4.  Just goes to show how well DMC handles its difficulty.  Its neat how they can give you an NG+ where you keep quite literally everything, and Hard mode still puts up a fight.  And I don't mean "eventually", I mean right out of the Gate, the game stops pulling punches.  DMC games deserve much credit for this well handled difficulty curve.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A